HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous1234AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Annandale Back in the Day
Posted by: Pamela Midgley ()
Date: June 03, 2012 11:41AM

Was in the VA area in 1977-1983 Loved Fritzbe's OMGosh it was great. Then there was this bar where there was dancing not far from there there were trees covering the parking lot, does anybody remember what I'm talking about it was a lone standing building to my knowledge. Loved it, lots of beer drinking with my FBI buddies in there.

Options: ReplyQuote
A Short History Of Annandale, Virginia
Posted by: Time Machine ()
Date: June 03, 2012 11:47AM

RAVENSWORTH:
A Short History Of Annandale, Virginia
By Audrey B. Capone
http://annandale.va.us/history.html

Annandale is unique in that its history can be traced directly to the pre-Revolutionary period, when, in 1685, an Englishman by the name of Col. William H. Fitzhugh purchased over 24,000 acres of land and his descendants later named the tract "Ravensworth." From an untamed wilderness, Fitzhugh converted the land into one of the largest tobacco plantations in Northern Virginia.

For over six generations, members of the Fitzhugh family farmed at Ravensworth, slowly selling off portions of the land. It was not until 1830 that the plantation name was no longer used. In its place the community was named Annandale, after the Scottish village located at the mouth of the Annan River.

Fitzhugh's Ravensworth

Beginning in 1650, the Virginia government at Jamestown granted large parcels of land to homesteaders and speculators in Northern Virginia. William Fitzhugh, son of an English middle class woolen draper, purchased what he believed to be 21,996 acres of land from John Matthews, an original Jamestown grantee. Matthews and Fitzhugh both believed the stated acreage to be accurate, and it was not until later that Fitzhugh discovered the discrepancy in his favor.

The first recorded mention of Ravensworth was as follows: "to a white oak where Ravensworth and West, Harrison and Pearson join near the back lick." The "back lick" in this property description is a reference to Backlick Run, which travels throughout the property; West, Harrison and Pearson were Colonial landowners whose land bordered the Ravensworth tract.

Ravensworth was the largest single parcel of land granted in Northern Virginia. It was shaped like an axe, with the handle located on the southern end and the blade pointing west. Its shape was no mere coincidence. The land had been surveyed to include easy access to the Accotink drainage basin via a road bed that would later become Backlick Road. Because inland property was only valuable if crops could be easily transported to a waterway, Ravensworth was shaped in a manner that was highly valuable to its owner. It indicates that Samuel Wye, the Stafford County surveyor who mapped the property, had an educated knowledge of waterways in the area, and that he realized that tobacco, the most common commodity in seventeenth-century Virginia, had to be packed in heavy hogshead casks and "rolled" to the waterways.

There is evidence that Fitzhugh advertised some of his property for sale or lease on at least two occasions. In one piece of correspondence, he mentions that he had "convenient and good Land enough to seat 140 to 200 fam'lys upon one Dividend wch [sic] contains 21,996 acres, which I will either sell them in fee at 17 [pounds] sterling for every hundred acres, or else lease it to them for three lives paying 20 shillings p. annum for every hundred acres... "

As early as 1686, Fitzhugh mentions his property as "my Plantation," thereby indicating cultivation of the land very soon after he purchased the tract. But one of the stated requirements for taking firm title to a Colonial land patent was that the landholder had to "seat and plant" on his land within a three-year period, and that the land had to be inhabited. Rarely did holders of large tracts personally tend to the land, and Fitzhugh was no exception. He was responsible for bringing some of the first African slaves to Ravensworth and hired overseers to manage the workers and to live on the property.

Among those who leased property from Fitzhugh were French Huguenots, who had fled their native land to avoid religious persecution. But these early pioneers found living conditions at Ravensworth very primitive. Housing consisted of little more than wooden huts, and the threat of attack by unfriendly Indians, combined with the presence of wild buffalo, bands of wolves and other wild animals, put their lives in jeopardy. Some tenants left the land to journey to more heavily populated areas, usually near the waterways.

Col. Fitzhugh never lived at Ravensworth. Shortly after arriving in America, he married and built a beautiful home he called "Eagles Nest" in King George County. He resided there until his death in 1701.

At the time of his death, Fitzhugh had amassed a fortune -- partly due to the success of his plantation, but also due to a lucrative legal practice and the acquisition of other property in Northern Virginia. He was an attorney educated in England and distinguished himself as a member of the Stafford County Court and as commander of the Stafford County militia. At the time of his death he owned some 54,000 acres of land.

Fitzhugh's Successors

Upon the death of Col. William H. Fitzhugh, the Ravensworth plantation was left to his two eldest sons, William, Jr. and Henry. William, Jr. inherited the southern portion of the estate, and Henry inherited the northern portion -- which included all of the land that is now Annandale.

The southern half of Ravensworth Plantation ultimately came to rest with the children of Mary Randolph Custis Lee -- wife of the Confederate general -- who was the niece of William Fitzhugh, III. As late as 1915, Col. Bob Lee lived in the mansion called "Ravensworth," but much of the acreage in the southern half of the plantation had been sold to others.,

The northern half of the plantation came to rest with Anna Maria Battaile Fitzhugh and her five sons. When the sons became of age, the land was again divided.

The Ravensworth Mansions:
Oak Hill, Ossian Hall and Ravensworth

Three great homes were built at Ravensworth during the eighteenth century, one of which still stands as a monument to the past.

In 1779, Major Henry Fitzhugh built "Oak Hill" for his land agent, Lund Washington. At the time of construction, the home consisted of only four huge rooms, two on each floor. It was not until 1936 that the home was refurbished and expanded to resemble another of the Ravensworth mansions, "Ossian Hall." Oak Hill, the oldest of the three great homes, stands majestically on a plot of land of approximately four acres. It is privately owned and is located off Wakefield Chapel Road, hidden by trees on every side.

It is believed that Nicholas Fitzhugh, son of Major Henry Fitzhugh, built the second Ravensworth mansion, Ossian Hall, as early as 1783. There is a tradition that Ossian Hall was built in 1730, but no Fitzhughs lived on the property at that time -- the site where it was built was leased to Daniel and William Talbot until long after that date. Further, Ossian Hall was built with a large family in mind, and Nicholas had over twelve children. He was the first Fitzhugh to live on the property.

Ossian Hall faced Braddock Road where Royston Street and Rosslyn Road now intersect. The beautiful home, which resembled Mount Vernon, was visited by many notable persons during Colonial days, including George Mason, George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette.

On September 3, 1959, Ossian Hall was burned to the ground by the Annandale Fire Department to make way for the Bristow subdivision.

"Ravensworth," the third Ravensworth mansion, was built in 1796 by William Fitzhugh of Chatham. After the death of Anna Maria Fitzhugh, the family of Robert E. Lee used the mansion as a summer home. When Mrs. Lee fled Arlington House during the Civil War, she stayed at Ravensworth briefly, but fearing that Union troops might harm the lovely old home, she journeyed further south. She need not have worried, because the three Ravensworth mansions were officially protected from harm by orders from the leaders of both sides.

Ravensworth was located slightly southeast of the intersection of Braddock Road and the Capital Beltway. The mansion was mysteriously burned in 1925.

Green Spring Farm

In addition to the Ravensworth mansions, another beautiful home was built by John Moss during the eighteenth century. Moss, a gentleman freeholder and a leader of the Methodist Church, built "Green Spring Farm" in 1760. Characteristic of the time, Moss worked the land and built the home prior to purchasing the land in 1770.

Moss was the first in the area to turn away from tobacco in favor of dairy, grain and vegetable farming. He distinguished himself as a justice of the Fairfax County Court and served the Crown as Commissioner of the King's Revenue in Fairfax. He was a captain during the American Revolution and took an active part in organizing the new government.

Green Spring Farm is located east of the business district off Little River Turnpike.

The Beginning of Commerce

The very first businessman to locate in Annandale was William Garges, a Mennonite from Doylestown, Pennsylvania. Garges, of German descent, purchased land that included the triangle where Columbia Pike, Little River Turnpike and Backlick Road now join in the center of town. On this land, he placed a blacksmith shop and a livery stable. He also ran the first steam driven saw mill in Fairfax County, located on the bank of the Indian Run at Little River Turnpike. The 1850 census listed two persons from the Garges family engaged in farming and three in manufacturing.

Garges became Annandale's first postmaster in 1837. Post office documents state that "Annandale Post Office was opened for business on 27 December 1837, with William Garges as Postmaster," Documents do not state where the post office was located, but Garges served in this post until his death in 1855.

The Early Community

In 1806, the Little River Turnpike was completed through Annandale, thereby connecting Annandale with Alexandria and Fairfax. Very shortly after, it was extended to Aldie. Little River Turnpike was the third toll road constructed in the nation. Toll houses were placed at intervals along the long turnpike, one of which was situated where Little River Turnpike intersects with Ravensworth Road. On Thursday, May 23, 1861, this small, log toll booth was used as a voting place for local residents to vote in the matter of Virginia's proposal to secede from the Union. Thirty-three votes were cast; twenty-nine votes for secession.

In 1808, another roadway was built which joined the Little River Turnpike in Annandale. It was named Columbia Pike. Local residents now had at least seven roads on which to travel.

By 1830, the plantation lords were gone. The land had been sectioned and sold to farmers, many of whom had come from the north with a fervor to succeed in farming, and unlike their southern neighbors, without the use of slaves

Skilled and industrious, the northerners brought with them new ways of cultivating and fertilizing crops. They also introduced a new farming technique called crop rotation, which restored the soil and resulted in healthier crops.

Gradually this new breed of farmer gave a fresh vitality to the sleepy community. Plain, but well built farmhouses dotted the countryside. Church meetings began to be held in homes. Picnics and socials followed the Sunday services. More businesses opened near the Garges enterprises, and at least two taverns opened on the outskirts of the community.

On October 1, 1846, William Garges conveyed a small piece of land for the construction of the first church, and the Annandale Methodist Chapel was built. During the Civil War, Union troops camped on the church grounds. As they left town, they burned the small church to the ground. Following the war, another church building was built slightly north of the original site. The church now stands across from where Columbia Pike and Gallows Road meet.

On June 10, 1973, at the dedication service of the Annandale Chapel Historical Marker, Rev. Raymond Fitzhugh Wrenn spoke of the history of Annandale:

"Because this area, so intimately connected with the settlement of this continent, the establishment of the Republic, and its tragic testing in Civil War, has now become an integral part of its metropolitan, growing population, in intensity of affairs, and in the extravagances of wealth, most people have little time to notice or appreciate the past except as it is most vividly portrayed before their speeding gaze."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audrey B. Capone is a past president of the Annandale Chamber of Commerce and is vice president of Capone Music Company in Annandale, in addition to being a freelance writer. She is currently writing a book entitled, Fitzhugh's Ravenworth: The Early History of Annandale Virginia. The work will culminate her eleven years of research on the history of Annandale.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who was John Marr?
By Tom Ruzic

There’s a Kmart near the intersection of John Marr Drive and Little River Turnpike. I find myself looking at it several mornings a week, when I catch the light there on my way to work. I just recently learned who the street is named for.

It turns out Capt. John Quincy Marr, CSA, was the first confederate officer killed in battle during the War Between the States. An 1846 graduate of VMI, he was a lawyer and sheriff from Warrenton. Leader of the Warrenton Rifles, he died early on the morning of June 1st, 1861 in a skirmish at the Fairfax Courthouse. The skirmish occurred when the Army of the Potomac moved out of Washington, DC, on its way to what would become the Battle of First Manassas. There’s a monument to him near the intersection of Main Street and Chain Bridge Road, and his grave is in the Warrenton Cemetery in Fauquier County.

There were many Federal and Confederate encampments in the Annandale area throughout the war – as we’re located on what was a shifting “no man’s land” that made up the defensive perimeter of Washington. There might have been tents in your own backyard.

Of course, that was long before there was a John Marr Drive. Or a Kmart.

Posted by: good memories/mammaries ()
Date: June 03, 2012 09:31PM

I certainly remember the Juvenile Sales toy store. My dad bought me a K-2 football there in the mid '70's.

Ended up playing college football and a little pro.

Also, saw Jaws at that movie theater, circa 1975, first kiss.

Both gone now, I suppose.

Posted by: aimless soul ()
Date: June 03, 2012 10:22PM

Used to patronize the Jack in the Box after hard nights of drinking. Jumbo Jacks, tacos and frings which was a mixture of french fries and onion rings.

Posted by: Whites hating ()
Date: June 04, 2012 12:17AM

Why are white people so hateful? Just because there are Koreans and Hispanics, doesn't mean u can hate. Fuck you bitches.

Posted by: Whites hating ()
Date: June 04, 2012 12:27AM

Why are white people so hateful? Just because there are Koreans and Hispanics, doesn't mean u can hate. Fuck you bitches. Demographics is not on your side folks....u guy's might on judgement in front of the children of those you hate.

Posted by: unreals ()
Date: June 04, 2012 05:24AM

So many memories, all literally gone to pot now. The Bradlick Theater- I remember seeing all the great Disney movies there at the Saturday matinee for 25 cents. Clark's Music store, next to the fire house, was a classic place. Old man Clark, who couldn't hear, would come out and wait on each customer individually.

The Rainbow Tree, which became Penquin Feather, was THE place to buy records. 3 Chefs was great, it was open either all night or very late; we used to go there after partying. They featured a staff of little old waitresses would would treat you like a kind granny. Also loved using all those different pancake syrups.

Every pair of shoes I got as a kid came from Tom McCann's. I used to love the little bridge they had in the store. Columbia Pizza was the best. I played many a Little League and Babe Ruth baseball game at Americana Fairfax Park and Park Authority (on Hummer Road). All the Annandale teams were sponsored by local businesses, and that became the name of your team. I remember playing for Kerlin's Korner a few times.

Whoever said the crime rate in Annandale was higher in 1980 than now is high himself. There was virtually no crime in that area back then. It was indeed a nice, quiet place to grow up. It's tragic to see what's happened to it. It looks like much of America now- seemingly taken over by an occupying force.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: June 04, 2012 07:17AM

Is downtown Annandale even relevant anymore? I drove through there about a month ago, and unless you were looking for a grocery or drug store, or a Korean restaurant I'm not sure why you would even go there.

Posted by: Gunrunner ()
Date: June 05, 2012 08:03PM

I remember Dawson's Small Arms of the World and The Loading Bench on Maple Place.Dale always had good stuff.

Posted by: SunnyD ()
Date: June 06, 2012 09:53AM

Remember next to Kmart there was a grocery store called Jumbo? Didn't Jumbo change its name to Shoppers Food??

Posted by: ATOM 88 ()
Date: June 06, 2012 12:31PM

Finally G.C. Murphys gets mentioned. Giifords and Holly Farms were great.

How about the Athletic House in Ravensworth Shopping Center. There was also a western themed resturant in Ranvensworth SC had the Buckaroo Club for kids, anyone remember the name?

Andy's Pizza anyone, there is a difference!

Annandale Butcher next to Hummer Road 7-11.

Posted by: annaan-daalay ()
Date: June 06, 2012 02:57PM

I remember Pizza Bazzano's in Ravensworth, and Pup Fair...I thought that place was called Athletic Attic?

I also remember digging for old beer cans off of Wakefield Chapel Road in the mid 70's, finding old National Bohemian cone tops from the 30's.

Posted by: Da Coach ()
Date: June 06, 2012 03:43PM

"The Rainbow Tree, which became Penquin Feather"

did they have different owners?

Posted by: Volf ()
Date: February 06, 2013 10:40AM

Please explain. What are you talking about?

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: February 06, 2013 05:53PM

They're tearing down Fuddruckers as we speak!

Posted by: BrandonG.M.U. ()
Date: February 06, 2013 06:15PM

Why did it take almost a year to start construction?

Blockbuster is becoming another auto parts store.

Posted by: me2too ()
Date: February 06, 2013 07:20PM

moved to annandale a year ago; totally embarrassed when i have to put my address on something or give it to someone bc it says annadale. place could be scrapped off the face of the earth and rebuilt, nothing here worth saving, esp. the illegals and all their anchor babies. cant wait to get out of here in another 18months.

Posted by: Reloader ()
Date: February 07, 2013 12:31PM

@gunrunner

You are probably aware, but Dawson's moved to Prince William County. Much friendlier to firearms businesses than Fairfax County.

Dale and Ed were okay at The Loading Bench. Did you ever get to do business with the Colonel (Dale's dad)? Now he was the greatest to do business with. Introducted me to Ruger #1's. Have a large collection of #1's thanks to The Colonel.

Posted by: Chris ()
Date: February 07, 2013 12:59PM

I remember going to Annandale quite often with my mom. There was a really nice antique/flea market place down there near the Shoppers (which used to be Jumbo back in the day.)

About a year ago I was looking for a condo to buy and looked at a couple near the Fudruckers and good grief I felt like I needed armed security to get me out of there. Ug!

Too bad it's no place to go now.

Posted by: katiesmith ()
Date: February 07, 2013 01:09PM

I agree, I grew up there in the 80's. It started going downhill at the end of the 80's/early 90's and that is when we left. Now it is terrible for the most part.

Atom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Annandale was once a decent, quiet, charming, and
> peaceful white neighborhood. The town was
> positively magical in the fall, when virtually the
> entire commnunity filled the High School stadium
> on crisp nights to watch a cheer for the proud
> football program of Bob Hardage; it was
> delightful. Now Annandale is a filthy, squalid
> cesspool, populated by dirty, shiftless, violent,
> denegerate, hispanic thugs. It is an American
> tragedy being played out all across the once great
> country.

Posted by: Bang bang ()
Date: February 07, 2013 01:43PM

Reloader Wrote:
> @gunrunner
>
> You are probably aware, but Dawson's moved to
> Prince William County. Much friendlier to
> firearms businesses than Fairfax County.
>
> Dale and Ed were okay at The Loading Bench. Did
> you ever get to do business with the Colonel
> (Dale's dad)? Now he was the greatest to do
> business with. Introducted me to Ruger #1's.
> Have a large collection of #1's thanks to The
> Colonel.

Don't forget the *GASP* gun range next to the Giant. Never was that great but it was close and cheap.

I can't recall his name now but the old guy who ran the place was funny. Stone deaf after siting there for years. People would be shooting a .44 or .357 about 15 feet away and he wouldn't even flinch. lol

Posted by: slubdawg ()
Date: February 07, 2013 01:46PM

Man oh man, this brings back memories.

Back in the 60s I dated a really hot girl named Leslie that lived in Annandale, she was amazing, let's say very liberated even for then! I'd guess this was about 1963 or 4. She probably graduated from Annandale in about 1965 or 66.

Then, after I got out of the Army, I lived in Annandale Terrace Apartments, now they are condos I think, for awhile. It was a great area, lived near the high school and you could hear the football games on Friday nights.

It was a nice area to live. Agree that it has gone down hill nowadays.

hes bitter he cant get find a slutty girl in Annandale anymore - it's gone soooooooo downhill, you see? ROFLMAO!!!!
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: February 07, 2013 01:56PM

so basically, yr saying Annandale was great back in the day cause you got to cum up in an Atoms' chick?

protip: you can still hear the games Friday night.

Posted by: 60's and 70's ()
Date: February 07, 2013 02:02PM

Bob Hardage and the great Atoms teams.

Posted by: I remember ()
Date: February 07, 2013 02:05PM

Hell, I remember when the Lynch family owned what became Pinecrest. It was nothing but some forest and just a weird open space. Then they sold it, the developer put in cheap-@$$ townhomes in there, and you know the rest of the story.

-Coleman's Market, just off of 236 and Old Columbia Pike.
-The Exxon sign that should've said "Happy Motoring", but the M fell off, and it became Happy Otoring (read "odoring").
-Making out on the balcony of the Annandale theater.
-Ice Cream at Friendly's.
-Seeing half of Annandale high school take the "free introductory" class at Jhoon Rhee Karate on John Marr Dr.
-The Annandale Army surplus store.

Good times growing up in Annandale. Not good times driving through there anymore. Sign of the times I guess.

Date: February 07, 2013 02:18PM

-Making out on the balcony of the Annandale theater.

Really?????I completely missed a balcony at the Annandale Theatre...

Date: February 07, 2013 02:34PM

@Blanche - you missed him cause he was prolly HIGH UP in the theater.....................if you know what I mean LoLz

Posted by: Facebook thief ()
Date: February 07, 2013 06:20PM

Attachments:
Annandale Penquin Feather.jpg
Annandale Theater.jpg
Coleman's market.jpg

Posted by: annandale homie ()
Date: February 07, 2013 06:37PM

How many of you remember consumers grocery store on john marr .....now its a buffet place and some BS night club .....Jack in the box was great at night and used to hang at the grass tracks at night for the races off edsall rd ....any of you remember that place

Date: February 08, 2013 05:46AM

I think the Consumers Grocery Store was originally, wait for it, a Kroger...They tried go get a presence in Northern Virginia, but nother much came of it.

Those pictures really brought back some memories of what Annandale used to be... The post office was located in the strip across from Little River Shopping Center and it had about three parking spaces.

The Grass Tracks area was the undeveloped land where the industrial area where Marlo is next to 395.

Date: February 08, 2013 08:01AM

will someone PLEASE tell me why y'all are in line at Penguin Feather in that pic?

Date: February 08, 2013 08:06AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> will someone PLEASE tell me why y'all are in line
> at Penguin Feather in that pic?

It's too bad that we can't zoom in any better on that circle that is on top of the Penguin Feathers' porch. They often had bands, artists come when they had a new album release or where in town to perform at Louis' Rock City, etc. It might be the group's logo or something.

Also Capone's music in the background. Where I went for music for my budding instrumental career...

Date: February 08, 2013 08:07AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> will someone PLEASE tell me why y'all are in line
> at Penguin Feather in that pic?

Or I forgot to mention that the latest shipment of Tokemaster might have arrived.

Posted by: FC N8ive ()
Date: February 08, 2013 08:55AM

blanche Wrote:
> Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > will someone PLEASE tell me why y'all are in
> line
> > at Penguin Feather in that pic?
>
>
> Or I forgot to mention that the latest shipment of
> Tokemaster might have arrived.

Didn't they also sell concert tickets?

Posted by: Iron Butterfly ()
Date: February 08, 2013 12:45PM

Have happy memories of the Rainbow Tree and the Penguin Feather. They used to have a really good selection of albums and casettes. As a kid, my straight-laced mom was happy to take me there as long as both of us pretended not to notice the display cases with all the pipes and bongs. And, truth be told, I really was there just for the music. Guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Posted by: Henry Spencer ()
Date: February 08, 2013 10:35PM

Da Coach Wrote:
The house on 236 was originally a Rainbow Tree, but Penguin Feather took it over when RT moved to the shopping center on Markham.

"The Rainbow Tree, which became Penquin Feather"
>
>
> did they have different owners?

Posted by: ConcernedNeighbor ()
Date: March 11, 2013 10:40PM

Weston's was great for breakfast. Used to get a screwdriver or a fuzzy navel there before Redskin games on Sunday morning.

Posted by: Long Duck Dong ()
Date: March 12, 2013 05:46AM

I feel safe living in Annandale. The illustrious Kim Jong-un would never target us with all of his people here. The rest of you guys are fucked though.

Posted by: Duck Chang's ()
Date: March 12, 2013 10:29AM

is Duck Chang's still there? as i remember it was the only Chinese restaurant around, and my mom used to take us there as kids in the mid-late 70s. so many great memories growing up in Annandale.

Posted by: Donald Duck ()
Date: March 12, 2013 12:06PM

Duck Chang's Wrote:
> is Duck Chang's still there? as i remember it was
> the only Chinese restaurant around, and my mom
> used to take us there as kids in the mid-late 70s.
> so many great memories growing up in Annandale.

Yes, I loved to get the peking duck.
Attachments:
Annandale Duck Chang's-crop.jpg

Posted by: DH ()
Date: March 12, 2013 03:03PM

ConcernedNeighbor Wrote:
> Weston's was great for breakfast. Used to get a
> screwdriver or a fuzzy navel there before Redskin
> games on Sunday morning.

Breakfast was great at Westons, plus they served it until 3pm. We would go to Weston's for dinner on Saturday night and after dinner we would hang out in the bar until they closed. We would come in late Sunday morning, early afternoon for breakfast and the same regulars as the night before would be back sitting at the bar.
Really miss that place.

Posted by: ThinkAboutIt ()
Date: March 12, 2013 04:22PM

Whites hating Wrote:
> Why are white people so hateful? Just because
> there are Koreans and Hispanics, doesn't mean u
> can hate. Fuck you bitches.

People are frustrated that the community they grew up and that they loved has changed so dramatically and in such a short period of time. That the dramatic change is caused by foreigners who can't speak or write in English compounds the frustration. The fact that many of them are also poor and live in crowded houses that give neighborhoods a raggedy appearance is worse still.

I didn't grow up here. Like the Hispanics and Asians I'm also an interloper ... not from a foreign country but from a small town outside of Boston. (A Yankee! Worse, than a foreigner, some of you southerners might be saying to yourselves!)

I imagine my home town and Annandale had a lot in common in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

But unlike Annandale, hardly anything has changed in my hometown since I left in 1980. Wikipedia says the demographics are 93% white, 6 percent divided up among Asians and blacks. Aside from a small uptick in Asians, all of whom seem to be rather wealthy, the demographics have held pretty steady for the past 30 years.

But if my hometown had changed as much as Annandale, I'm sure I would be frustrated. If I went home and saw the street I grew up on filled with foreigners, packed 10 to a house, with cars parked all over the yard and 15 year old pregnant girls hanging around the street corner, I'd be depressed, too. If I went home and drove down the street and couldn't read the signs, I'd be pissed. If I went home and couldn't order food at McDonalds because the people there could not speak English, I would be furious.

None of that means that I would hate the people as individuals, but I would very much hate what my town had turned into.

Maybe you can't understand that.

Posted by: 1966Camelot ()
Date: March 12, 2013 08:14PM

Kerlins Corner---I remember that place! It didn't last long after we moved in. I heard that where that was used to be a polling place during the Civil War, on Little River Tpke. Mosby raided up near where Winterset and Camelot is now. There was a railroad grade (never completed) that ran through there, out to Fairfax. In Camelot it ran from Mill Creek and along Kay Court.

Posted by: Annandale Kid ()
Date: March 12, 2013 08:26PM

I grew up with a bunch of Asians in Annandale. Many are doctors, lawyers and businessmen/women. Judging by the numerous kids I knew who scored 99th percentile on their SATs and attended Ivy League schools, I would say that they had a superior grasp of the English language. Several served in the armed forces. All are extremely productive members of society. My experience leads me to only one question. What the hell is wrong with you fucking racist losers? You aren't fit to carry their water.

Posted by: Henro ()
Date: March 13, 2013 02:23PM

Wagon Wheel Steak House,Kodak SpaceShip,and the Loading Bench.

Posted by: Ye Ole Woodson Man ()
Date: March 28, 2013 06:22PM

Yes old Annandale, Came to Fairfax in 1970 from San Diego and there was Jack in The Box in Annandale, McLean,Merrifield and Herndon.Annandale bar and Grill,I loved 3 Chefs for midnight breakfasts, The old Annandale Elementary with the real old school in the rear,The Wagon Wheel and dances at night, then it became Tom Westons who was elsewhere up the street, The Black Orchid rest. fancy inside, The carnivals across the street from The Wagon Wheel, Faboulus Flying Fritzbes where a friend was a waitress when it opened great chili and long yards of beer.The Bowling alley, Annandale Marine the boat motorcytcle and camper place whose owner god bless Col Reginald Myers USMC was a Korean war Congressional Medal of Honor reciepient and few knew it.The Loading Bench with Col Frietz and son Dale god bless them I bought many reloading items there, Dawsons and the small indoor shooting range the only one round way back.The Truckers Stop where I was too "uncool" (as a former long hair who was deemed by youthfull long haired wannabes with marijuana soaked brains as a "redneck") to bother going in to. The candy store on 236. Shakys pizza run by McCool a great place along with the all you could eat place next door, my lunch favs The Hardware store Theater and ABC stores,a Italian (Greek) rest that was end of the Giant Food building if Giants still there. Koreans are good hard working people An Young Hashimiki to you all. Annandale was a fun place.

Posted by: Ye Ole Woodson Man ()
Date: March 28, 2013 06:40PM

The Buckaroo Steak house was in Ravensworth SC. And Pizza Bazzanos is still there along with the famed photo of a astronaunt thats been there since 1969.
Buckaroo was a great place cheap steaks aka Ponderousa Cold beer lots of UPS people in thre after work.

Posted by: Yo Ole Woodson Man ()
Date: March 28, 2013 06:52PM

Oh Yes ,the horrible murder shooting on Columbia Pike at Sleepy Hollow light a Navy Commander and his son killed there with family watching coming home July 4th 1971. I hope the guy who did its either dead or still in prison. My father was navy also and that was too close to my heart.

Date: March 28, 2013 07:36PM

Yo Ole Woodson Man Wrote:
> Oh Yes ,the horrible murder shooting on Columbia
> Pike at Sleepy Hollow light a Navy Commander and
> his son killed there with family watching coming
> home July 4th 1971. I hope the guy who did its
> either dead or still in prison. My father was navy
> also and that was too close to my heart.

I believe that unfortunately this low life got a relatively light sentence, especially due to the horrific nature of the crime -- commited in front of other family members -- and the person has been out of jail for a long time. Hopefully, he's been the victim of a street crime by now...

Posted by: Fred ()
Date: April 05, 2013 04:11PM

Wow..what memories....mine:

Shakey's Pizza....just was no place in the entire world we would rather be as a kid...player piano, dancing by the big fire place....long communal table...and the best pizza ever .....or were our kid taste buds just not developed...tried Shakeys again in LA recently.....totally inedible!

Barber shop near firehouse....Nat the Barber!

Andy's pizza

Three chefs....silver dollar pancakes....WMAL radio remote every Sunday

Tom Weston's....the old original near firehouse...big fish tank..

A&P ...and Drug Fair with lunch counter in back...cokes in those old cone cups inside stainless steel holders

Genos Hamburgers..and before that Topps Drive Inn...served Kentucky Fried Chicken

Jack in the Box...with the creepy clown drive thru....first taco ever eaten in my life

Joon Rhee..."nobody bothers me!"

Masonville Elementary...my alma mater!

And of course, burning raked leaves in our front yard....how in the world did they allow that!!!

Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: April 05, 2013 04:19PM

@Fred, Here is some eye candy for your memory.
Attachments:
tops1.jpg
c70a_12.jpg

Posted by: WhatHappenedToShortSkirts? ()
Date: April 05, 2013 04:34PM

§ Wrote:
> I saw the other day that H.I. Ribsters was gone
> too. It was like some wannabe-steakhouse with
> waitresses that wore lace stockings and short
> skirts.
>

That's why I miss. The hell with Annandale. Whatever happened to female wait staffs that showed leg and plenty of it? All you get now is black pants.

Yuck.

Nowadays, I have to go to Lilian's on Mount Vernon Ave and hang out with the beaners to see waitesses in minis and heels.

Date: April 05, 2013 06:54PM

When Ribster's opened and until @'88 they had French Maid uniforms...a great group of very nice girls. They were not a "wannabe steakhouse"....they had excellent Baby Back Ribs and awesome Buffalo Wings....a very consistent place.

Posted by: DH ()
Date: April 05, 2013 09:03PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> When Ribster's opened and until @'88 they had
> French Maid uniforms...a great group of very nice
> girls. They were not a "wannabe
> steakhouse"....they had excellent Baby Back Ribs
> and awesome Buffalo Wings....a very consistent
> place.

They also had a really good potato soup and a onion loaf.

Date: April 06, 2013 11:35AM

OMG Sleepy....those are amazing!!!!...Thanks for sharing!!!

Other memories flooding back:

Lums restauant up by Safeway...great burgers, fish sanwhiches and root beer..all within that dark Tiffany lamp decor

Tony's pizza...with salami

Deli....right next to some eyeglass place...can't remember name....biggest bologna sanwhiches I've ever seen....at least to a 6 year old..

McDonald's on Little River Turnpike....creek in back with picnic tables..

Sitting on Willard Scott's Lap as he portrayed Ronald McDonald.....and yes, on his lap again as Santa Claus..in the White House of all places!

Old old hardware store..near bowling alley...digging for bottle caps in Coke machine...each had baseball player photos inside

I "heart" Sonny; I "heart" Billy bumper stickers.

And though not technically in Annandale...more Baileys Cross Roads..

Tastee Freeze
Krispee Kreme
Hot Shoppes
Giffords
Village Inn Pizza....mmmmm...cracker crust
Chesapeake seafood house...big bowl of shelled snow crab in butter...simple and sublime
Roy...friggin' Rogers!...so juicy, the bun practically disintegrated...marvelous!..(those left on Jersey Turnpike are but a shadow of the originals....I.e., Shakeys')

And finally, that old run down, never open tiny carnival...when was that ever in operation?

Posted by: WhatHappenedToShortSkirts ()
Date: April 06, 2013 02:08PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> When Ribster's opened and until @'88 they had
> French Maid uniforms...a great group of very nice
> girls.

They should have kept them - they'd still be in business.

Posted by: waldenthreenet ()
Date: April 10, 2013 09:10AM

April 10, 2013

RE: Annadale Old and New__Preserving and Adding Greenspace
and Urban Wildlife Refuge to Strengthen Environment

Conversation: I visit the Annandale Public Library Branch once or twice a month. There is a patch of woods next to the public library that still has a bit of wilderness in Annadale urban revitalization district.

I saw a red fox come out of the woods just as I was leaveing the library last month, March 2013 that was a wonderful surprise for me. The fox got startled by a car that stopped to let him cross to the front of the library then along the left side disappeared in the back hilly patch.

Question 01: Does this fox, who likley lived here for generations have a rigth to live here as much all the humans who have taken the bit of wilderness that is still here ?

Possible Answer: Yes, Yes, small urban wildlife and greenspace such as this one next to the branch must be protected before another fast food buys this land and delets this last bit of wildrenss that is here.

Conversation Fairfax
Community to Community
Cafe Twin
Attachments:
URBAN WILDLIFE SANCTUARY wild_neighbors_book.png

Posted by: Bruin ()
Date: April 15, 2013 07:52PM

Photoguy/Henro- That UFO-looking camera shop was run by the father of a friend of mine from Lake Braddock.I think some woman who worked at Ribster's sued over having to wear those outfits? She won, and that was that? I also remember in the back of the old Rainbow Tree, they had a back room where they sold all these cool old bootleg Lp's that came in plain white sleeves with a xeroxed sheet for a label, that was stuck inside the plastic wrapper. Lot's of neat old stuff, Stones, Led Zep, Littlefeat, Springsteen...I wished later I had bought a bunch of them and held onto them! And Jack-in-the-Box at 4 A.M.!!!

Date: April 15, 2013 08:00PM

@Bruin,....NO one sued Ribster's about the uniforms...as Bobby Dylan said "the times they are a changin'" BTW...JITBox rocked!

Date: April 20, 2013 04:01PM

Luckily, Jack in the Box has made it's way to us here in Colorado...and it still tastes exactly the same.....two tacos or 99 cents.....greasy goodness.....and breakfast all day....

Posted by: Cheryl ()
Date: April 24, 2013 03:44PM

I grew up in Annandale. Went to Masonville Elementary, Poe Intermediate, and Annandale High School. OMG!!!!! Things I remember! Please forgive me if I seem to write a book here:

-Hanging out at Jack-in-the-Box and McDonald's (Jack's and Mac's)
-Behind Jack in the box there was a Juvenile Toy Store and Jhoon Rhee Karate (took lessons there).
-K-Mart was an open field.
-Columbia Pizza (across from Gino's)
-Used to buy music stuff at Capone's on 236 and Clark's on Columbia Pike.
-G.C. Murphy (a department store). In the same shopping center as Safeway.
-Worked at Bob's Big Boy on 236 (many years ago I drove by there and I believe it was an antique store).
-Fritzbe's (was called Casa Maria Mexican Restaurant before that).
-Who can ever forget Annandale Bar and Grill!!!
-Burger Chef and Arthur Treacher's.
-Sorry to hear that H.I. Ribster's is gone. They had great onion loafs and ribs. I actually worked there for a few months in 1983. Everyone there was very nice. I was a hostess and I remember the waitresses wearing the french maid outfits.

Posted by: oldie/goodie ()
Date: April 24, 2013 03:51PM

Cheryl Wrote:
> -Sorry to hear that H.I. Ribster's is gone. They
> had great onion loafs and ribs. I actually worked
> there for a few months in 1983. Everyone there was
> very nice. I was a hostess and I remember the
> waitresses wearing the french maid outfits.

It used to be a Sizzlers back in the early-mid 1970's.

Date: April 24, 2013 03:58PM

I remember Fritzbe's. I think that the bar that you are talking about might have been called The Lotus. From what you describe about it, that might be the name. It would have been in business at least during 1982-1983 when I sometimes hung out there. Before it was The Lotus, I think it was a bank for awhile. Before that, believe it or not, it was a Safeway Grocery Store. I remember my mom shopping there. This would have been in the 1960's...possibly into the early 1970's.

Posted by: Early ()
Date: April 24, 2013 04:17PM

Ahh. H.I. Ribsters. I miss that place.

Posted by: GeezerDude ()
Date: April 24, 2013 05:03PM

1966Camelot Wrote:
> Kerlins Corner---I remember that place! It didn't
> last long after we moved in.

Had my first TastyKake there.. was wrapped in waxedpaper(not plastic)

Posted by: chapel square memories ()
Date: April 24, 2013 05:04PM

I attended Chapel Square Elementary 1975-1981 back when the Wakefield Chapel was burned out and in ruins, on the edge of the school grounds. That place was creepy as fuck! In combo with that old little graveyard across the street there were some crazy ghost stories going around. I think the school had a major asbestos problem or something similar because it was shut down and gutted soon after I left. I remember one girl classmate of mine died of cancer while I was there and at least one teacher, maybe two. I've been searching for pics of the burned out chapel but haven't found any. I think I remember a drawing of it on the cover of our school directory, or maybe it was our neighborhood directory. Oh yeah, I remember trick or treating around there at Halloween was fucking scary as hell!

Date: April 24, 2013 05:32PM

>I believe it was Villa Maria before Fritzbe's...Italian not Mexican.

>Ribsters was a Rustler Steak House, not a Sizzler's

Posted by: better times ()
Date: April 24, 2013 05:48PM

Good times drinking the "Yard of beer" at Fritzbees. I remember going to Andys Pizza back during the Carter years when a business could only be open so many hours due to the energy crisis. The manager said for old peanut head Carter to fuck himself he was staying open. The place was packed and the cops were eating there too so who was someone going to complain to, the FBI?

Date: April 24, 2013 07:01PM

Ahhh...Fritzbe's...the yard of beer and the "Bartender's Sandwich" which we still make @ home. GREAT times.

Posted by: Annandale resident ()
Date: April 24, 2013 10:27PM

If you want to complain because of Korean or Hispanic business moving in....for goodness sakes open up your own business in Annandale? Why all the hate folks? Annandale was and is a wonderful city. Stop the BS of what the 50's, 60's, 70's ect..... was like. Your living in the past folks! Annandale has many diversified restaurants, grocery stores, and shopping you can't find anywhere else! Please stop the racist remarks..."Gooks...Spics.." Really? Time to move forward folks and stop dwelling on the past!

Posted by: Chapel Squared ()
Date: April 24, 2013 10:36PM

chapel square memories Wrote:
> I attended Chapel Square Elementary 1975-1981 back
> when the Wakefield Chapel was burned out and in
> ruins, on the edge of the school grounds. That
> place was creepy as fuck! In combo with that old
> little graveyard across the street there were some
> crazy ghost stories going around. I think the
> school had a major asbestos problem or something
> similar because it was shut down and gutted soon
> after I left. I remember one girl classmate of
> mine died of cancer while I was there and at least
> one teacher, maybe two. I've been searching for
> pics of the burned out chapel but haven't found
> any. I think I remember a drawing of it on the
> cover of our school directory, or maybe it was our
> neighborhood directory. Oh yeah, I remember trick
> or treating around there at Halloween was fucking
> scary as hell!

Was at Chapel Square the same time. Had Ms. Lemon for 5th grade...we used to sneak into (under?) that chapel...I think we could get in the basement through the back...don't remember the kid or teachers dying.

Date: April 25, 2013 12:08PM

@sleepy holla:
You are absolutely right. I believe it was villa maria.

Date: April 25, 2013 01:27PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> >I believe it was Villa Maria before
> Fritzbe's...Italian not Mexican.
>
> >Ribsters was a Rustler Steak House, not a
> Sizzler's

It was a Sizzler's before it was Rustlers.

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: April 25, 2013 01:49PM

I'm moving to Annandale in June. It sounds like a "fun" place to be.

Date: April 25, 2013 01:54PM

@oldie/goodie...It was opened as a Rustler in 71/72 and was part of Gino's Corp...at that time Sizzler was primarily in the West. But, if you have proof I'll concur. Pic's/Ads?

Date: April 25, 2013 02:21PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> @oldie/goodie...It was opened as a Rustler in
> 71/72 and was part of Gino's Corp...at that time
> Sizzler was primarily in the West. But, if you
> have proof I'll concur. Pic's/Ads?

I just checked with another old Annandale resident who backed up my Sizzler call.

Until I mentioned your comment about Sizzler's being then only in the West, where he said he may have conflated the two since he had frequented Sizzler's out West.

As I had before coming here early 70's.

I'll admit I am probably wrong here about it being Sizzler's

Best to you, great thread.

Date: April 25, 2013 02:32PM

@oldie/goodie...sorry I'm just kind of a restaurant history nutjob...please keep adding anything from the past...we NEED all the help we can get...also post on the Old Fairfax County pic thread...one of the best on here. Thanks.

Date: April 25, 2013 02:52PM

@oldie but goodie:
Wasn't Sizzler a Ponderosa at some point? If it wasn't in that building, does anyone know where it was?

Date: April 25, 2013 03:12PM

One of the Ponderosa's was by Jefferson Theatre in Jefferson Village off Annandale Rd.

Posted by: Fairfax Bob ()
Date: April 25, 2013 06:36PM

It was a Rustler's. I ate there many times as a kid and grew up in Annandale. It did change names though. It was something else, maybe a Bonanza or Ribster's. All those western theme restaurants seem to blend together.

Posted by: Fairfax Bob ()
Date: April 25, 2013 06:40PM

I guess it went from Rustler's to Sizzler. From Wikipedia:

Rustler Steak House was a family-style steak house restaurant with locations in the Mid-Atlantic United States. Rustler was in the same category as restaurants like the Ponderosa and Sizzler steak house chains.

The Rustler was a division of the Gino's fast-food restaurant chain. A Rustler Steak House was usually located near a Gino's location.

Gino's operated Rustler from 1971 through 1982 when the Gino's company was bought by Marriott Corporation to add the Gino's locations to its Roy Rogers chain. Mariott sold the Rustler chain in early 1983 to Tenly Enterprises, which was a newly founded company. Some Rustler locations were closed and in 1985 the 108 remaining Rustler locations were sold to Collins Foods and were converted to Sizzler Steak Houses.

Date: April 25, 2013 06:54PM

@Fairfax Bob...It went directly from a Rustler to a Ribsters...Ribsters was part of the Gino's/Marriott phase....Never a Sizzler.

Date: May 01, 2013 02:37PM

I asked my father and older brother and they said that it was definately a Rustler and later became Ribster's. Also, @ Sleepyholla, you are right once again. The Ponderosa was next to the Jefferson Theater. I remember going there to eat with my family. There was also something called a Red Barn near there and a little ice cream stand somewhere behind there that sold frozen custard. By the way, does anyone remember Topp's before it was Gino's? I barely remember it.

Posted by: Keith ()
Date: May 01, 2013 03:05PM

I totally remember Rustler's. It was good steak before I knew what good steak was really like.

Date: May 01, 2013 03:32PM

Cheryl Wrote:
> I asked my father and older brother and they said
> that it was definately a Rustler and later became
> Ribster's. Also, @ Sleepyholla, you are right
> once again. The Ponderosa was next to the
> Jefferson Theater. I remember going there to eat
> with my family. There was also something called a
> Red Barn near there and a little ice cream stand
> somewhere behind there that sold frozen custard.
> By the way, does anyone remember Topp's before it
> was Gino's? I barely remember it.

"a little ice cream stand"?????
you mean the wonderful Frozen Dairy Bar?

Posted by: steely dan ()
Date: May 01, 2013 03:35PM

wow, you don't say? that's really very interesting. maybe we can have a full page of the whole debate and saga vis-a-vis Rustlers/Ribsters/Sizzler/whatever the fuck other steakhouse ever existed within the tri-state area, east coast, west coast whereverthefuck.

Posted by: Long Time Annandale resident ()
Date: May 01, 2013 03:54PM

At that Rustler's at 236 and Ravensworth rd. they used to serve an ice-cream scoop of the best whipped butter on the toasted bread that came with your steak.

Posted by: Chip66 ()
Date: May 01, 2013 04:40PM

When we were teenagers, we thought that the Rustlers was too fancy for us.

After visiting the upstairs at the Rainbow Tree, we would bypass the Rustlers in favor of the Shakeys a little farther walk up the road.

After a brief detour along the way, of course.

Date: May 01, 2013 05:12PM

@Steely, If someone asks a question about the past, we try to answer it correctly...a civil group discussion. BTW, Your Steely Dan (in Annandale thread) tag has nothing to do w/ Annandale, VA....it was Annandale-On-Hudson in NY, where Fagen and Becker went to college----BARD College.

Posted by: My Old School ()
Date: May 01, 2013 05:28PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> @Steely, If someone asks a question about the
> past, we try to answer it correctly...a civil
> group discussion. BTW, Your Steely Dan (in
> Annandale thread) tag has nothing to do w/
> Annandale, VA....it was Annandale-On-Hudson in NY,
> where Fagen and Becker went to college----BARD
> College.

Quite right. It was the line "I said oh no
William & Mary won't do" that made everyone around here thing it was NOVA in Annandale.

Until Walter or Donald told the story in Rolling Stone.

Posted by: Paul Peters ()
Date: July 08, 2013 03:30AM

I grew up in Annandale, went to Annandale Elementary School, Poe Intermediate, and then Annandale High School. I lived in Annandale (Ridge Road in Columbia Pines) from 1953-1973. I was the car to the right and behind slightly of the Navy Commander's car. One of the girls that was in the gunman's car hid against my car door while the fight was going on.I was in my 1971 Chevy convertible with my girlfriend and her parents. It was too dark to see what actually was going on. I heard the gunfire but sadly enough thought it was a Chinese Fire Drill prank that we used to play at stop lights in the 60's. Until the 11:00 O'clock news I didn't realize what had happened. The reason for the altercation - The gunman's car had been tailgating the Navy Commander's car. It pulled around him at the stop light so they could speed away. The Navy Commander got out of his car to confront the driver of the tailgating car. If he'd none done so he would not have been shot. The original part of the confrontation between the Navy Commander, his son, and the car load of blacks had only resulted in a fist fight. However, when the fighting was over, the Commander and his son were on the ground. One of the black men went over to the car and retrieved his gun. The others pleaded for him not to shoot, the girl cowering next to my car door screamed.. and the rest is a sad history

Paul

Posted by: Oldey Olderson ()
Date: July 08, 2013 04:05AM

Cheryl Wrote:
> I asked my father and older brother and they said
> that it was definately a Rustler and later became
> Ribster's. Also, @ Sleepyholla, you are right
> once again. The Ponderosa was next to the
> Jefferson Theater. I remember going there to eat
> with my family. There was also something called a
> Red Barn near there and a little ice cream stand
> somewhere behind there that sold frozen custard.
> By the way, does anyone remember Topp's before it
> was Gino's? I barely remember it.

Wow, I used to work at that Ponderosa. Was by there the other day and it's a Lebanese restaurant or something like that. I can't believe the Jefferson theater is now a Goodwill store. What happened to Chili's?

Posted by: Paul Peters ()
Date: July 08, 2013 04:22AM

Annandale - growing up there was wonderful. My first indoor job was at the Annandale Cleaners next to Drug Fair. The 7-11 across Columbia Pike prior to air conditioning had a set of doors set on a track and opened the front to an open air entrance. They used to sell whole chicken cooked on rotating vertical chain. Below was a glass door where they'd store the chickens prior to selling one. My dog, a boxer named, Lady would wander away from our home in Columbia Pines (Ridge Road) go to 7-11 and would wait until someone opened the door to get a chicken then lunge in and grab a bag with chicken inside. To show you how small town we were then the manager would grab Lady, chicken and all, and put her in the back with the beer. He'd then call my parents tell them to come get the dog and how many chickens to pay for. Never once did he call the animal warden or police. He called, we paid, that was the system. Do you remember the personal and family bomb shelters for sale along Columbia Pike? Huge black drums with ladders and hatches. I could go on for pages about the old Annandale. Last month a childhood friend from "old Annandale" who lived on Rose Lane came into town for a few days. We spent hours and hours following our old haunts, schools, etc. Yes, Annandale has changed. No debate on that. We put on our rose colored glasses, ignored the crowds and visited the past with gusto! That's the way to visit.

Date: July 08, 2013 11:10AM

@Oldey Olderson...Chili's had a fire...it was fixed back up and opened as another restaurant briefly. Interesting point was that franchised Chili's was the first in NOVA and was the springboard for it's parent company "Chesapeake Bay Seafood" to branch out and CLOSE down our beloved seafood houses. Damn!

Posted by: back in the day ()
Date: July 08, 2013 11:17AM

Anyone remember Schotzky's down on Annandale Road? Great memories of that place!

Posted by: oldguy ()
Date: July 08, 2013 04:01PM

Lived in Annandale in the early 70's. Nice place then. Lived in the Fairfax Heritage apartments, one bedroom $148 a month rent. Now a ghetto. Too bad. Spaghetti Mill - great disco, lights in the floor and all. Next to an aquarium shop, and kind of in back of the Rustler. Also, I seem to remember that for a short time there was a nightclub in the same shopping center as the Jumbo, or maybe it was in the Jumbo before it became Shoppers (or Basics as I think it was first called). I remember seeing Phyllis Diller there. Lots of Asian waiters. As soon as you put a cigarette in your mouth, 3 or 4 of them were there with a lighter. Didn't last long. Good old days. Now I'm just an old guy in Springfield, fast becoming another ghetto.

Posted by: famous annandalians ()
Date: July 09, 2013 03:15PM

remember when luke skywalker went to Annadale HS? and then that steely dan dude wrote a song about it. that was pretty cool.

Posted by: Chuck & Lidias ()
Date: July 09, 2013 04:25PM

Anyone remember Chuck & Lidia's that was above the gun range ???

Posted by: old ()
Date: July 09, 2013 06:19PM

Chuck & Lidias Wrote:
> Anyone remember Chuck & Lidia's that was above the
> gun range ???

Hell yeah. Downed many a great sammich in there. I can still see Chuck's face in my mind, but not Lydia's.

I also remember when somebody downstairs fired an errant shot into the rafter's/floor of Chuck & Lydia's. Sometimes they'd hit what sounded like pipes and make a helluva noise. I used to ask Chuck, "how thick is that steel under the floor again ,Chuck?".

Posted by: Dawsons ()
Date: July 10, 2013 10:29AM

Hey guys remember that gun range neat Giant called Dawson's? Then in the 90s they made a TV show about it called Dawson's Creek. That was pretty cool.

Pages: Previous1234AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 4

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.