HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Rapid Pass Fail
Posted by: CRS ()
Date: January 16, 2016 02:44PM

Anyone tried the new emissions program, Rapid Pass, and have it actually work? Gave it a try earlier this week and seems to be a joke. After waiting the 72 hours to learn if it registered (it did not), I called and was told to just 'keep driving through the stations to increase your chances.'

http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/articles/fairfax_county/drivers-can-now-test-vehicle-emissions-while-on-the-road/article_c3116b2e-bbb7-11e5-aa2a-eb10cb4c2a33.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rapid Pass Fail
Posted by: I call buulllllshit ()
Date: January 16, 2016 04:24PM

This is the biggest crock of shit known to man. This is being imposed on Virginia residents because Northern Virginia does not meet Federal Air Quality standards? How do they account for the vehicles from Maryland, D.C., West Virginia and the hundreds of thousands of vehicles that travel through this area from out of state.

Posted by: gamer ()
Date: January 16, 2016 08:02PM

Sorry but I don't follow what is meant by "imposed". This actually seems like a no-lose kind of thing. One could imagine it could potentially be used to get a pass when your car would fail if you took it to a testing station. Just speed up, then turn off the engine and coast past the sensor thing.

Posted by: Another sixth grader ()
Date: January 16, 2016 08:06PM

They'll never think of that!

Posted by: I call buullllshit ()
Date: January 16, 2016 08:09PM

gamer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry but I don't follow what is meant by
> "imposed". This actually seems like a no-lose
> kind of thing. One could imagine it could
> potentially be used to get a pass when your car
> would fail if you took it to a testing station.
> Just speed up, then turn off the engine and coast
> past the sensor thing.

"Imposed" in the sense that Northern Virginia is the only part of the state than even has emissions regulations. Just another tax on us that benefits the rest of the state. Now they are going to use a completely unscientific method for "testing" yet still charge everyone the fee. How about if your car meets the emissions standard you pay nothing?????

Posted by: something is up ()
Date: January 16, 2016 08:27PM

I smell bullshit about "the motorists' convenience". The state has something up its sleeve here. Otherwise they would just stick with the existing system. Safety inspection is required every year anyway so it's not like there is any benefit to this roadside thing.

I wonder what happens if you pass the test at a station, then your car subsequenttly goes through the road side detectors and fails?

Posted by: kYKG3 ()
Date: January 16, 2016 08:28PM

immediate pass or fail exam
Attachments:
boner.jpg

Posted by: Novagal703 ()
Date: August 25, 2016 10:21AM

Drove back and forth several times past a RapidPass location on Twinbrook Road this month, following directions on the RapidPass website EXACTLY. One week later, checked the site to see if my car had passed. Screen said my car had "not yet been tested." When I called to ask why not, the RapidPass customer service rep said my car might have failed; she said "not yet been tested" is also a response I could get for a failed test!! Well, that's stupid. (I refrained from telling her so, in those words.)

My car is a well-maintained, late model sedan with fewer than 20,000 miles on it. No way it failed. My guess is the little green roadside RapidPass boxes are next to useless. Guess I'll have to go to the inspection station after all. Oh, and even though the website doesn't say anything about a fee, RapidPass charges the same $28.00 for its report (assuming, unlike me, you can get one) as the inspection station does for emissions testing. I suppose the joke's on me for thinking there might be a savings to roadside testing.

Posted by: mjs ()
Date: August 25, 2016 12:01PM

looking at the web site. Christ, its easier to spend the 30 bucks at a service station and get the safety inspection done at the same time than drive around hoping you got scanned...

Posted by: Worked for me ()
Date: August 25, 2016 01:00PM

it worked well for me.

Paid the rapid pass bill online then paid the registration renewal to DMV online.

Stickers to be sent within 15 days.

Why would anyone want to send the time at a service station if this is an easy option?

I hope this program is used because it's a time saver.

Posted by: Johnny Taco ()
Date: August 25, 2016 01:17PM

no problems at all - drove my taco truck through one under 120days before expiration and I got a notice that I passed - and paid it. Easy than waiting in line. As long as your CHECK ENGINE light isn't lit - you're usually good to go...

Posted by: Round and around ()
Date: August 25, 2016 05:40PM

Assumed the program was free. Thought this was some new pilot program. Wrong. Looked for sites to drive through. Maybe once every eight days it's in your area. Just missed it now I have to wait. Then I discover it's the same price as a gas station. It's just as easy to go to the gas station. Some have coupons. Used a $5 coupon and had to wait 5 minutes. Yeah, won't be driving around in circles for multiple readings for accuracy.

Posted by: Stephen ()
Date: August 25, 2016 06:42PM

Received notice in the Mail that the work van passed. It must of been set up on a highway ramp. I've never seen any camera taken plates #s.

Posted by: VHCtx ()
Date: August 25, 2016 07:32PM

Lot of variables for the Rapid Pass system to actually get a good reading on the vehicle exhaust. But also requires that the software does not hang up and not test hours of cars going through the location.

The price is the same as a test at a gas station, HOWEVER, if the car has a SES/CEL/MIL light on and/or Emission Readiness Monitors are not clear, then the Rapid Pass system WILL Pass the vehicle if the exhaust is clean, so there is some reason to attempt to use the Rapid Pass system if in fact your car may have problems.

It is more of a convenience and I also think that VA DEQ is using this data, even for out of state vehicles, to determine how clean the majority of the cars are and what are the gross polluters are.

Unfortunately you can actually game the system a bit using Rapid Pass.

Posted by: Yes you can ()
Date: August 26, 2016 09:58PM

Just turn your ignition key off in the turn, go to neutral, then restart once passed.

Posted by: its not completely gaming it ()
Date: August 26, 2016 10:00PM

VHCtx Wrote:
> Lot of variables for the Rapid Pass system to
> actually get a good reading on the vehicle
> exhaust. But also requires that the software does
> not hang up and not test hours of cars going
> through the location.
>
> The price is the same as a test at a gas station,
> HOWEVER, if the car has a SES/CEL/MIL light on
> and/or Emission Readiness Monitors are not clear,
> then the Rapid Pass system WILL Pass the vehicle
> if the exhaust is clean, so there is some reason
> to attempt to use the Rapid Pass system if in fact
> your car may have problems.
>
> It is more of a convenience and I also think that
> VA DEQ is using this data, even for out of state
> vehicles, to determine how clean the majority of
> the cars are and what are the gross polluters
> are.
>
> Unfortunately you can actually game the system a
> bit using Rapid Pass.

A car with a CEL on should pass if its emissions truly pass. I would say the worst are the ricers and illegals who immediately rip the cats out of all their cars.

Posted by: nuttyturnip ()
Date: August 26, 2016 10:13PM

Considering that you have to go to a gas station for an annual inspection at the same time the emission is due, why would anyone bother with Rapid Pass?

Posted by: deq ()
Date: August 27, 2016 02:17PM

Yes you can Wrote:
> Just turn your ignition key off in the turn, go to
> neutral, then restart once passed.

Yeah, and immediately lose your power steering, and after the little bit of vacuum in the booster dissipates, most of your braking. Brilliant!

Posted by: UCHCM ()
Date: August 27, 2016 02:35PM

My wife managed to drive through a rapid pass location without even knowing about the program. She got a notice in the mail that her car had passed and was a bit perplexed. Was pretty much pointless though because I still had to go in for the safety inspection.

Posted by: 3EF9T ()
Date: August 27, 2016 02:47PM

deq Wrote:
> Yeah, and immediately lose your power steering,
> and after the little bit of vacuum in the booster
> dissipates, most of your braking. Brilliant!

Save on inspection costs. Give it all back on funeral expenses.

Posted by: Erich ()
Date: April 28, 2017 09:11AM

I have used this system for my personal vehicles and for the company vehicles.
and it worked very well., we got letters about the emissions that we went thru . so I got online. paid the 28.00 and saved sitting in line at the stations, SO CONVENIENT.

Posted by: shade tree mechanic ()
Date: April 28, 2017 09:28AM

Rapidpass is great, I passed with a bad o2 sensor. I would have failed at a gas station.

Posted by: Fantom.Shitter ()
Date: April 28, 2017 10:43AM

shade tree mechanic Wrote:
> Rapidpass is great, I passed with a bad o2 sensor.
> I would have failed at a gas station.

Fake News...no you didn't.

Posted by: CXxkc ()
Date: April 28, 2017 10:45AM

shade tree mechanic Wrote:
> Rapidpass is great, I passed with a bad o2 sensor.
> I would have failed at a gas station.

This can an will happen, but you are not wise to fail to maintain your vehicle.

The SES/CEL/MIL will light up when a condition exists that means the emissions are 1.5 times the Federal mandated level. But this 1.5 times the Federal mandated level may still be below the State Emission level threshold. The SES/CEL/MIL may also be triggered by intermittent problems or something like a cold start misfire due to a vacuum leak that may not be present once the engine is warmed up.

So overall the drive by "sniff" test is not a bad approach, however, it does get fooled from time to time where a car that was presented to an Emission Inspection station may not pass due to Emission Readiness Monitors not clear or the SES/CEL/MIL being on.

The RadidPass program should be embraced and used when you have access to it.

Posted by: CROCK ()
Date: May 04, 2017 06:21PM

This is a real crock of shit

Posted by: CROCK ()
Date: May 04, 2017 06:23PM

Yea it'll save you time and get your registration sent to you, BUT you still have to take your ass to get the safety inspection, useless crap.

Posted by: Stroker Ace ()
Date: May 05, 2017 01:25PM

My neighbor said his check engine light in his Buick has been on for a decade. He's a tight fisted fellow that will do almost anything to save a dime. He said he normally disconnects his positive battery cable, waits 10 seconds, reconnects it and his check engine light goes off. Then he'll drive around for 30-40 miles to reset his computer, then take it to the station for a passing emissions inspection. This year his plan backfired. His engine light came on within 5 miles of resetting his computer. Luckily he received a passing Rapid Pass letter in the mail. Now he's good for another 2 years.

Posted by: Morons. All morons. ()
Date: May 05, 2017 10:32PM

Stroker Ace Wrote:
> My neighbor said his check engine light in his
> Buick has been on for a decade. He's a tight
> fisted fellow that will do almost anything to save
> a dime. He said he normally disconnects his
> positive battery cable, waits 10 seconds,
> reconnects it and his check engine light goes off.
> Then he'll drive around for 30-40 miles to reset
> his computer, then take it to the station for a
> passing emissions inspection. This year his plan
> backfired. His engine light came on within 5
> miles of resetting his computer. Luckily he
> received a passing Rapid Pass letter in the mail.
> Now he's good for another 2 years.

So your idiot neighbor proudly proclaims that he's spent several times the cost of a repair on wasted gas, not to mention the hassle he's gone thru every two years? He must be so proud!

Posted by: jjg ()
Date: May 12, 2017 10:43AM

Good experience. PASSED - renewed 2 years. Saved me a visit. My safety inspection mechanic does not do emissions tests and the due dates are different.

It should be easier to find where & when the RAPIDPASS tests are set up. The list is a pain. Maybe a map with a date range?

Posted by: Gary R ()
Date: May 17, 2017 03:33PM

I just got a RapidPass "pass" notification in the mail. I had to go online to see if this was a valid process or someone trying to scam $28.00 out of me.

I like this idea but do take issue where others have mentioned:

* Why am I paying the same $28 fee? Part of that money is for the station to pay the employee who's manually doing the testing work. If that's eliminated... so should that fee

* You can get emissions coupons for testing and save $5+ dollars with a manual test, it's always full prices with the automated system

For now I'll just look for a coupon and get manually tested with my safety inspection anyways and save a few dollars

Posted by: Tired Taxpayer ()
Date: May 17, 2017 06:25PM

You saved time you would have to spend driving to the station and waiting to be tested, plus the cost of the gas driving to and from the station. The RapidPass service has expenses associated with the program, including equipment and labor, which either have to be paid by those who use the service or the taxpayers. If you don't think it is worth $28 to you, don't use it.

Posted by: Richmond. ()
Date: May 17, 2017 07:06PM

Gary R Wrote:
> I just got a RapidPass "pass" notification in the
> mail. I had to go online to see if this was a
> valid process or someone trying to scam $28.00 out
> of me.
>
> I like this idea but do take issue where others
> have mentioned:
>
> * Why am I paying the same $28 fee? Part of that
> money is for the station to pay the employee who's
> manually doing the testing work. If that's
> eliminated... so should that fee
>
> * You can get emissions coupons for testing and
> save $5+ dollars with a manual test, it's always
> full prices with the automated system
>
> For now I'll just look for a coupon and get
> manually tested with my safety inspection anyways
> and save a few dollars

Shut the fuck up, Gary and quit your bitchin'. The Commonwealth exists to generate revenue fo the state. You and all citizens are the source of that revenue. When have you ever known this Commonwealth to eliminate a fee? Your IP address has been logged and noted. Any further outbursts and you'll be sent a summons.

Posted by: Meh.... ()
Date: May 17, 2017 07:55PM

Tired Taxpayer Wrote:
> You saved time you would have to spend driving to
> the station and waiting to be tested, plus the
> cost of the gas driving to and from the station.
> The RapidPass service has expenses associated with
> the program, including equipment and labor, which
> either have to be paid by those who use the
> service or the taxpayers. If you don't think it
> is worth $28 to you, don't use it.

You don't save any time at all, because you still need to drive to the station to get a safety inspection.

As others have noted, the main -- and only -- benefit of RapidPass is if you have a check engine light on or some kind of code but the exhaust is still clean. In that case you can get a pass via RapidPass whereas it would have failed on-site inspection due to the check engine light being on. Otherwise you're better off using a coupon to get tested in person.

Posted by: NKEXP ()
Date: May 17, 2017 08:21PM

RapidPass is so much faster if you can drive through the system.

I needed to get my vehicle inspected the other day, took 1 1/2 hours of my day waiting in line behind 2 other vehicles.

I would have used RapidPass but have been crazy busy and only had 15 days left before my tags expire.

I did have a RapidPass on another vehicle that I had driven through about 3 months before the inspection was due and just paid online.

Posted by: 2 times versus 1 ()
Date: May 17, 2017 08:24PM

Meh.... Wrote:
> Tired Taxpayer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You saved time you would have to spend driving
> to
> > the station and waiting to be tested, plus the
> > cost of the gas driving to and from the station.
>
> > The RapidPass service has expenses associated
> with
> > the program, including equipment and labor,
> which
> > either have to be paid by those who use the
> > service or the taxpayers. If you don't think
> it
> > is worth $28 to you, don't use it.
>
> You don't save any time at all, because you still
> need to drive to the station to get a safety
> inspection.
>
> As others have noted, the main -- and only --
> benefit of RapidPass is if you have a check engine
> light on or some kind of code but the exhaust is
> still clean. In that case you can get a pass via
> RapidPass whereas it would have failed on-site
> inspection due to the check engine light being on.
> Otherwise you're better off using a coupon to get
> tested in person.

I like others don't have their emissions and safety inspection done on the same month, so yes it does save a trip to the station.

Posted by: 1970ChevroletChevelleLS6SS454. ()
Date: May 17, 2017 08:41PM

Emissions test? What's an emissions test?

Daily driven for 47 years...

Posted by: Lady T ()
Date: June 15, 2017 05:14PM

Some of these posts are hilarious, anyway what does it mean when you drive through a rapid pad site and see the light blink yellow& blue?

Also read on the Rapid Pass site that dinner vehicles won't qualify, but they don't give a list of which.

Date: June 15, 2017 05:16PM

Sorry meant *some vehicles, stupid predict text, have to remember toalways proof read before I hit submit.

Posted by: Chimp out monitor ()
Date: June 15, 2017 05:27PM

Lady T Wrote:
> Sorry meant *some vehicles, stupid predict text,
> have to remember toalways proof read before I hit
> submit.

Yes, remember "toalways" do that.

Date: June 17, 2017 06:12AM

I know I caught that after the fact, lol

Date: June 17, 2017 06:21AM

So does anyone know what it means when you see a yellow and blue blinking light as you drive through a Rapid Pass location?
Haven't gotten a notice in the mail, and that happened a couple of weeks ago.

Posted by: ChrisR ()
Date: July 19, 2017 04:29PM

Lady T Wrote:
> So does anyone know what it means when you see a
> yellow and blue blinking light as you drive
> through a Rapid Pass location?
> Haven't gotten a notice in the mail, and that
> happened a couple of weeks ago.

My two thoughts are: non enough of a reading to measure? or its measuring & it will display the verdict at the same time your car passes the sign... this way the result will be included in the picture of your plate?

Just got the blinking lights going through two of them, did you ever get your results in the mail?

Posted by: Phil T ()
Date: October 27, 2017 09:22PM

I have a Rapidpass set up down the road from my house and passed through it no less than 20 time over a several week period. I also drove through several other Rapidpass "stations" over several months this year. I went to the Rapidpass web site and received a fail.
"We have tested your vehicle. However, it does not meet RapidPass requirements due to:
Our records show that your vehicle's emissions exceed RapidPass limits.
I then went to a service station and it passed with no problems." No doubt Rapidpass still has bugs to be worked out. I hope Virginia is not using the data from Rapidpass for any policy or far reaching clean air programs...

Posted by: Millenial ()
Date: October 27, 2017 09:52PM

Does anyone know if they are planning to expand the rapidpass program to include safety inspection in the future? It would be great way to save time killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

Posted by: Greatest.Generation ()
Date: October 27, 2017 10:15PM

Millenial Wrote:
> Does anyone know if they are planning to expand
> the rapidpass program to include safety inspection
> in the future? It would be great way to save time
> killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

You can't do a...

Nevermind...

Posted by: JimR ()
Date: March 19, 2018 10:20PM

Phil T Wrote:
> I have a Rapidpass set up down the road from my
> house and passed through it no less than 20 time
> over a several week period. I also drove through
> several other Rapidpass "stations" over several
> months this year. I went to the Rapidpass web site
> and received a fail.
> "We have tested your vehicle. However, it does
> not meet RapidPass requirements due to:
> Our records show that your vehicle's emissions
> exceed RapidPass limits.
> I then went to a service station and it passed
> with no problems." No doubt Rapidpass still has
> bugs to be worked out. I hope Virginia is not
> using the data from Rapidpass for any policy or
> far reaching clean air programs...

My guess is that Rapidpass levels are stricter to allow for dissipation of emissions. Your car may be close to the limits.

Posted by: Alexandria Motorist ()
Date: December 04, 2018 12:22PM

Speed of 35 mph required, as measured by the RapidPass equipment, in order to obtain a good reading. This is per the rep to whom I spoke at Virginia Department of Environmental Quality.

Rep could not answer whether that's a minimum, as in 35 mph or faster. Rep had no info about the speed range, only the point data, 35mph. "That's why they use on ramps...to get the speed."

Background:
I drove 2x past RapidPass boxes likely over a month ago...crickets. Tried again about three weeks ago at a different location...crickets. No listing of my vehicle on RapidPass website. ("We did not find your vehicle in one of our databases.") Called RapidPass to ask what up. No record. "Try DMV. They have a bigger database." VDEQ records stated that my vehicle was "observed," but that RapidPass equipment did not get valid test results.

Posted by: Waste of time ()
Date: December 04, 2018 01:05PM

The only thing that would make this convenient and worthwhile is if it were free.

Posted by: Engine Light Don't Care ()
Date: December 04, 2018 02:10PM

My Honda Accord's check engine light has been on for over 10 years. I used to clean the PVC system before my emissions tests and then the engine light would turn off. That doesn't work anymore and the light is on 24/7. If I disconnect the battery, the check engine light will turn off and my car will pass emissions inspection.(after 30 miles of driving for a computer reset) Now with the Rapid Pass system, I don't need to fool with the battery at all.

Thank you Donald J. Trump for the Rapid Pass System!

Date: December 05, 2018 12:06PM

3a, 3b, and 3c are the same, except instructions specify 1) accelerate at 3/4 throttle, and 2) to maintain five minutes at 55 mph.

Date: December 05, 2018 12:07PM

Epilogue to post above by Alexandria Motorist at
12/4/18 12:22 pm

Brief version:

Yesterday, technician rejected, said two paramters were "not ready."
My OBD-II scanner showed the same thing, two parameters "incomplete."
This morning I performed the "drive cycle."
After, my scanner showed "ok."
Returned to shop and passed.

Detailed version:

2005 Honda Civic, manual transmission
Drive cycles can differ among vehicles. It's in the vehicle's service (not owner's) manual, but you likely can find the info for your vehicle with a web search.

Article: "Honda Civic Monitors Not Ready"
https://www.smogtips.com/smog-question/3003/Honda-Civic-Monitors-Not-Ready

Don't be intimidated by the voluminous and arcane instructions for the "drive cycle." It boils down to three phases:

1) Idle
2) Accelerate, maintain, decelerate
3) Accelerate, maintain, decelerate

Started at 5:45 am when beltway traffic is relatively light. Set a timer for five minutes.

1) Idle -- Started car cold, turned on AC and rear defog. Idled for five minutes (where instructions specify 2.5 minutes.)

Headed down Duke St toward Telegraph Rd.
Accelerated to 40mph. Complete stop at a traffic light. Accelerated to 40mph again.Complete stop at a traffic light again. Not sure whether this had any impact on vehicle's test protocols. With some vehicles, I read it does.

2a) Accelerate -- on on-ramp to I-495, half throttle, accelerated to 55 mph.
2b) Maintain -- maintained 55-60 mph for five minutes. (where instructions specify three minutes)
2c) Decelerate -- did not touch clutch, shifter, or brake, gradually released accelerator pedal, (on wide shoulder, do NOT try this at home, off-ramp is safer) ended up at 17mph in 4th gear at about 700 rpm (where instructions specify 20mph)

3a, 3b, and 3c are the same, except instructions specify 1) accelerate at 3/4 throttle, and 2) to maintain five minutes at 55 mph.

This took me from Telegraph Rd to Falls Church. I decelerated on the off ramp. Turned around to head home, and performed the accelerate/maintain/decelerate two more times.

I scanned when I arrived home at 6:15 am. All I/M monitors read "ok."

Posted by: Sess ()
Date: August 21, 2020 06:36PM

I don‘t get how this is worthwhile. I have never been declined, but I went through a resting station 3 times and didn’t pass. The. I noticed they are only available on certain extremely limited days. Why? I mean these are solar powered. Why on earth would it matter when you use them. As tax payers We should be able to use them all the time. Do they get enough sun to work well? Also why don’t they work on weekends? They are crazily restricted!

I’ve also been through spots where the state there is a machine. It I see nothing there. After ALL this effort it’s not any cheaper. It’s a waste of time, taxpayer money, and often tolls as well. It’s stupid!!

Posted by: driving ()
Date: August 21, 2020 06:52PM

There is usually one set up at the I-66 and Fairfax County Parkway intersection. There are a few other places where they seem to appear frequently.

The major value is when there is a "check engine" light on the dash. You won't pass the test in the station but usually will pass the Rapidpass test. I usually try to avoid having the engine under load or acceleration when going past the sniffer and prior. I have also turned off the engine and coasted through, but the car doesn't have power steering. Timing is critical as the gas has to get from the engine and clear out tailpipe before you pass the sniffer.

Posted by: won't work ()
Date: July 03, 2022 04:32PM

driving Wrote:
I have also turned off the engine and
> coasted through, but the car doesn't have power
> steering. Timing is critical as the gas has to get
> from the engine and clear out tailpipe before you
> pass the sniffer.

If you turn off the engine and coast through, it'll be an invalid test result. Not pass, not fail, but invalid.

The emissions monitor expects to see some CO2 coming out of your vehicle.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.