HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Sharon Bulova: FCPS Proposed Budget Not Realistic; Tells PTAs Not to Waste Time Supporting It
Posted by: FCPS PTAs ()
Date: January 15, 2016 06:53PM

Garza's demand for more than double what the Board of Supervisors said was available has quickly come to a crashing end.

All that's left is to see whether the school board supports what they previously told Garza to do, or stops wasting time and gives her some realistic priorities.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sharon Bulova: FCPS Proposed Budget Not Realistic; Tells PTAs Not to Waste Time Supporting It
Posted by: PH ()
Date: January 15, 2016 06:57PM

The argument from school leaders is nothing but “political theater.”

When the superintendent says we’ve cut the budget for nine straight years, and in fact the budget’s gone from $2.1 billion to $2.6 billion, an almost 25 percent increase, that’s just political theater. This has been happening since I was in high school, where the schools claim they’re failing, there’s not enough money.

We have issues with our schools, we need to address those issues, but our schools aren’t falling through the center of the Earth.

Re: Sharon Bulova: FCPS Proposed Budget Not Realistic; Tells PTAs Not to Waste Time Supporting It
Posted by: WTOP Sources ()
Date: January 15, 2016 07:17PM

Other sources close to the Board of Supervisors have told WTOP that the county is unlikely to provide the significant funding increase requested by the school system.

The county is scheduled to announce the maximum potential tax rate for the coming year in March, with a vote on the actual rate in the spring.

http://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2016/01/bulova-fully-funding-schools-request-take-tax-hike/

Posted by: Your weave ()
Date: January 15, 2016 07:32PM

Pay up, I need a raise. You all put the Fair in Fairfax.

Posted by: Boosterthon to the Rescue! ()
Date: January 15, 2016 09:04PM

If Boosterthon is so wonderful, ALL of the schools should use it to raise the extra money for the FCPS mothership.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: January 15, 2016 09:09PM

Is the school board even capable of reducing the budget? Have they even tried?

Posted by: Stewardship-minded ()
Date: January 15, 2016 09:59PM

Although I am a parent with FCPS students, I'm also concerned as a taxpayer about Garza's request. I don't see lean budgets; I see a lot of non-teaching, non-classroom-based staff adding to the per-pupil expenditures.

So I'm pleased to hear that Bulova would hold the line against the proposed increase.

Posted by: Inquisitive One ()
Date: January 16, 2016 03:54AM

This does not happen very often! Bravo, Sharon!

Posted by: Queen Sharon ()
Date: January 16, 2016 07:24AM

I know taxpayers agree that we need every penny we can get to provide more luxury housing for illegal..er, undocumented immigrants. Schools are not on my priority list.

Posted by: Gerry ConMan ()
Date: January 16, 2016 07:30AM

Queen Sharon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know taxpayers agree that we need every penny we
> can get to provide more luxury housing for
> illegal..er, undocumented immigrants. Schools are
> not on my priority list.

We need Syrian refugees! Vote for me! I love Muslims and illegal immigrants!
VOTE FOR ME!!!

Posted by: PWERTT ()
Date: January 16, 2016 11:29AM

Stewardship-minded Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Although I am a parent with FCPS students, I'm
> also concerned as a taxpayer about Garza's
> request. I don't see lean budgets; I see a lot of
> non-teaching, non-classroom-based staff adding to
> the per-pupil expenditures.
>
> So I'm pleased to hear that Bulova would hold the
> line against the proposed increase.

Oh boy is there ever. There are A LOT of FCPS people who are called "teachers" and yet who work at Gatehouse or Fairfax Ridge. They are always sooooooo quick to say they are teachers and yet when you say, "Ok, where is your classroom?" they can't quite answer that question.

Posted by: Funny Thought ()
Date: January 17, 2016 05:56PM

Play some music and tell all the teachers to go to their classrooms.

When the music stops, any teacher not in a classroom is fired.

Any teacher in a classroom when the music stops must work there for the rest of the year, unless moved to another classroom.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.