HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Northern Virginia Community College, NVCC, NOVA
Posted by: Whoru2me ()
Date: January 06, 2016 12:25PM

NOVA in Spanish literally means don't go. I am still wondering why the college choose that nickname-obviously no one did their research which is common at NOVA.

I have been at this college for over 10 years. If any of you are trying to get a job at the Extended Learning Institute of NOVA, don't get your hopes up. Dr. Jennifer Lerner (speaking of her, she didn't get the VP job because she earned it but because Steve Sachs felt sorry for her. She did not make the cut during her first interview so they rewrote the entire job description for her to get it. Ask anyone at Loudoun who knew Jennifer and they will practically curse you out.) only hires people close to her age (she will be 39 this year) and that she can manipulate. Keyshawna or Keyshauna Davis is a prime example. She was hired as the director of Student Services at ELI and has ran that place to the ground. ELI has lost so many people because of the two of them. The employees and faculty are miserable. Favoritism and but-kissing are a norm at ELI.

Then you have the MEC campus which is practically ran by M. Beatrice Veney of Student Services kissing HUGE butt with the new provost who is clueless to anything else about the college because she is new. They have practically lost all of their clinical sites and faculty because of Veney. That campus is practically holding on by a thread and unless the new provost gets her head out of the gutter and start listening to other departments instead of praising the main department that is killing the campus-Student Services, she will not only lose her job but the campus respect. Wake up provost of the MEC!!! You are one of the main causes of the problems there!! You need to be approachable not telling people "if you don't like my style of ruling, you can leave."

By the way-as a side note, if anyone has to deal with Maria Liappis of HR, she is the biggest joke of a human resource representative and she is now co-director of HR-she should be fired...

Last but certainly not least is the Alexandria campus. The Student Services department got rid of their main problem, Deloris Scott, the former dean of students because she retired while her friend, acting provost Buchannan is in charge. She was hated by students, staff and faculty but was allowed to keep her job because of Buchannan and HR shoving the complaints and issues about her under the rug.

The HR representative, Jessica is a joke as well. She acts like she is listening to you but will not follow protocol in terms of moving your complaint up the chain. Don't go to her if you need to complain about anyone. Go directly to the VCCS!!!

The LTR department is no different. Dr. Francis Villigram-Glover only got the dean job because the provost wasn't man enough to fire her for being a horrible acting dean of student services and made a position for her. The IT department hate her. She only hires people who have something military in their life-hence the hiring of Ella Gilliam as the Testing Center Supervisor-her husband is a contractor for the military.

From my many sources, she certainly has her favorites-Shehla and Dustin. She made sure to give them the 8-4:30 shift instead of asking the other staff which shift they liked. Shehla has certainly screwed up-some royally but she has never been reprimanded or written up. She can lie and Ella won't do anything about it. As long as Shehla kisses her tail, she is ok. Patrick also works in the center and has been verbally rude to both faculty, students and staff on numerous occasions; Ella has been told about it and he still has a job. At any other place, he would have been let go.

We are still trying to figure out how the staff know more than the supervisor??? I have been in the center and have heard her ask the staff-"how do you do this or where is that or what is that?" It's called get your fat tail out of your office and those cameras and you might know and learn something!!

The only two people I will ever deal with in that center is two staff members named Nadia and Tracee. They know more than all of those people in that center combined and are very polite and are willing to go the extra mile for you. Those others, including the supervisor, are a joke.

Manassas campus' provost is another joke. Basically all of the provosts at NOVA are jokes. The entire HR department, provosts and the Administration department all need to be fired. This college is a freaking joke. This college NEVER listens to their staff or anyone else for that matter. This college is famous for covering stuff up and losing stuff like the $5 million that the VCCS audit found was missing. They are liars, cheaters back-stabbers, kiss-ups-the whole nine. I pray I will be able to leave this hellish place soon.

NOVA-DON'T GO OR WORK HERE!!!!

Also, Google the police chief at Alexandria campus...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Northern Virginia Community College, NVCC, NOVA
Posted by: NovaITportal1 ()
Date: January 06, 2016 11:24PM

This has gone on long enough. We're working with Fairfax Ungerground to get your IP address. We'll take it from here.

Posted by: IP man ()
Date: January 07, 2016 02:21AM

That is way too much to read.

Posted by: U Wot ()
Date: January 07, 2016 02:35AM

Whoru2me:
Attachments:
tldr.gif

Posted by: Joke Insurance ()
Date: January 07, 2016 05:16AM

TL;DR

Posted by: nomorescrubs ()
Date: January 07, 2016 05:20AM

TL;DR +1...

Don't even bother enrolling at NOVA unless you plan on giving it your ALL. It is a GREAT way to get in your first 2 years of college on the CHEAP and get it done QUICKLY if you are willing to HUSTLE at your work. I personally got my 2-year degree done in 1.5 with a combo of doing 16 credits per semester as well as CLEP'ing out of the lower level courses- but this takes DRIVE and HUSTLE.

CLEP is also another awesome thing where you can test out for credits instead of actually taking the course.

Their nursing and automotive programs are pretty legit too, after that 2 year program/degree you can easily get a job paying $20/hour PLUS.

If you are not @ NOVA to learn and get your associates so you can move on to UVA/MASON/VA TECH/whatever school- GTFO.

As far as the admin debacle- it goes on in every company. There is shadiness in even the Fortune 500 companies. People will do anything to make money/get to the top even if it puts others down.

Posted by: Joke Insurance ()
Date: January 07, 2016 08:25AM

Posted by: RocketBooster ()
Date: February 24, 2017 02:55PM

My taxes at work...

10Qft.gif

Posted by: bickled peets ()
Date: June 11, 2017 08:14PM

Well.

Posted by: 7u3bj ()
Date: June 12, 2017 12:07AM

I have been at this college for over 10 years. If any of you are trying to get a job at the Extended Learning Institute of NOVA, don't get your hopes up. Dr. Jennifer Lerner

THEY ARE IGNORING ALL FEDERAL REQUIREMENTS, THEY ARE CHEATING STUDENTS AND TAKING TAX MONEY FRAUDULENTLY

that program isn't supposed to be an "essay session" that might earn a 100 level few credits.

it's (for federal funding) supposed to offer workers and self studied people credits for education and work that is extra-curricular. there are various strategies to do this, so of course those who apply would have to pay for assessment of such proven work.

one way to do that IN THE PAST is to pay to "test-out" (to take a special University test (universal language / learning test). they don't allow that anymore either !! and the books these days are crap - anything goes - even the so called "university" books are no longer even close to universal (for most subjects).

there is one thing that is prevailant: insane tax cost for schooling, university learning got flushed, and ever worse and more expensive options for students

sure there is some things to be learned in those really really expensive books. but not guaranteed work with them either

in the past: there was more such a thing as employers who paid for education. today we have:

$10/lb spinach

only gov jobs are willing to pay off the bills it takes to "get educated these days", private job pay is 3x-15x less and often don't even cover essential bills

Posted by: mdumy ()
Date: June 12, 2017 12:09AM

if your a citizen with over 20 years of extra-curricular work sitting on the table, and some gov worker paid to check you off only offers a 100 level class for 3 non-transferrable credits

would you be totally pissed?

or just like "yea what else is knew, every thing in around here is just as broken"

Posted by: bickled peets ()
Date: June 12, 2017 08:28PM

I am interested in that spinach.

Otherwise, a disappointing performance.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.