HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Public Fall Out Shelters
Posted by: The Real Sculler ()
Date: June 24, 2009 03:05PM

I know that schools back in the day doubled as fall out shelters, but where are there some current, functional fall out shelters in FFX?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Public Fall Out Shelters
Date: June 24, 2009 03:06PM

The Real Sculler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know that schools back in the day doubled as
> fall out shelters, but where are there some
> current, functional fall out shelters in FFX?

No. You are fucked.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: June 24, 2009 03:14PM

The Real Sculler Wrote:

Why? What do you know?????????

Date: June 24, 2009 03:23PM

North Korea, for starters.

Seriously, anyone know of any?

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: June 24, 2009 03:39PM

The Real Sculler Wrote:
> North Korea, for starters.
>
> Seriously, anyone know of any?

North Korean missles are good one thing, big splashes.

Posted by: Furfur ()
Date: June 24, 2009 03:43PM

Make your own bomb shelter in the .000001 acres of land you have behind your townhouse.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/household-safety/tips/fallout-shelter3.htm

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: June 24, 2009 03:44PM

The Real Sculler Wrote:
>

Fuck North Korea. I think it was either Mr. Mephisto or TheMeeper that suggested that whatever missile they produce will probably shoot out a little flag with "BANG" on it. The thought of that cracks me up.

But seriously, I don't know of any and they'd probably be useless anyway since most of them were in schools dated from the 60's - 1. todays' weapons are way more powerful and 2. the shelters probably haven't been properly maintained since the 80's.

Posted by: G. I. Joe ()
Date: June 24, 2009 04:09PM

If the big one goes off, here's what you do:

1) Using an entrenching tool (or "shovel" as its sometimes called)
dig a hole at least six feet deep.

2) Get in it and be sure you have some sort of metal ID with your
name deeply engraved.

3) Cover yourself with a poncho.

4) Kiss your ass goodbye.

Posted by: boredom ()
Date: June 24, 2009 08:16PM

No worries. If you live on the Centreville side of Fairfax County, and a nuke were to strike D.C. you'd be fairly safe as long as you got out of town quickly. It would need to be nearly a 50 megaton blast

Assuming a single blast instead of a MIRV, and a 1 megaton yield, if you live anywhere on the west side of west Falls Church you'd be safe from the blast. The initial radiation wouldn't be a problem either if the wind weren't blowing west (which basically never happens) and you left the area immediately.

On the other hand, if it were a 50 megaton blast, which was the largest man-made nuclear explosion, you'd be screwed. That one would obliterate everything from D.C. to Alexandria, and be lethal all the way out to Gainesville.

If it were a MIRV, we're all pretty well fucked. As an example, one of the models of Trident II (and there are several each with different yields) carries 8 independently targeted 100 kiloton nuclear warheads. That, or an equivalent, aimed at D.C. would destroy a huge section of Northern VA and parts of Maryland.

So, basically, even if you had a bomb shelter it would be worthless because you wouldn't need it, or you'd have to stay in it for several months and likely run out of food and water before being forced to leave before it was safe.

Re: need to build a sonic in the area
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: June 24, 2009 08:17PM

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2015 07:17AM by WingNut.

Posted by: overdone survivor ()
Date: June 24, 2009 08:30PM

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with all the water I bought for Y2K.

Posted by: MmjeF ()
Date: June 24, 2009 09:29PM

Warhawk Wrote:
> 1. todays' weapons are way more powerful

Ironically enough, current warheads aren't more powerful than the warheads of years gone by. Present nukes have much less yield because they're much more accurate. You needed a 4 megaton nuke when you were likely to miss your target by a kilometer or more. Now that miss-distances are measured in tens of meters, yields have shrunk a great deal. That way we can make a bunch of super-accurate missile warheads with the same nuclear material we used to make a few heavy bomber-delivered mega-nukes.

As for North Korea, they're lucky to hit the ground when they drop something, let alone hit DC with a missile launched from halfway around the world. Even if they made it, the payload is more likely to bounce off the ground and break apart than actually function and blow up.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: June 24, 2009 11:24PM

I was a kid in Annandale in the 50's & 60's...and they had home bomb shelters on display. They looked like an underground steel gasoline storage tank like are buried at gas stations, only they an entry shaft welded to the top. They would let you go down inside the bomb shelter and look around...COOL.

They must have sold a few of them and I wonder if any survive in backyards today?

Anybody remember that shit?

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: June 24, 2009 11:29PM

Theres a shelter if it falls out? Wow.

Posted by: hello, newman ()
Date: June 24, 2009 11:32PM

theres a nuclear fallout shelter in the basement of clifton elementary

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 25, 2009 12:15AM

hello, newman Wrote:
> theres a nuclear fallout shelter in the basement
> of clifton elementary

Where's the door?

Posted by: boredom ()
Date: June 25, 2009 12:29AM

There are some fairly elaborate shelters for sale these days. Some of them look like houses on the inside, carpet, full kitchens, separate rooms, drywall, the works. The exterior is the same though, a big ass cylinder.

The price of one of those babies is probably more than your house given that it's prefab, they have to dig a big hold, and it's a niche item.

I think they're marketing it wrong. They should go to Kansas and the other tornado prone areas and market them as single family homes. It would be the last time wind ripped your house apart.

Posted by: Kenny_Powers ()
Date: June 25, 2009 12:54AM

The Real Sculler Wrote:
>

seriously? north korea couldnt get a bomb to our country if the Fed Ex'ed it. Stop worring about the impending apocalypse, there are fucking 30 million + ways to die... stop focusing on one, just fuckin roll with it.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 25, 2009 06:04AM

The Real Sculler Wrote:

file.php?2,file=6039
"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: FurfaxTownie ()
Date: June 25, 2009 07:13AM

I think Paul VI High School (Old Fairfax High school) has a bomb shelter in it. I have never been it but the only detail rumored around is that it had low ceileing clearance.

Date: June 25, 2009 07:22AM

Thanks, "hello, newman". That's all I needed to know. Even better that it's Clifton Elementary of all places, that's pretty close to me. I was pretty young during the Cold War, but from what I know they built 'em to last back then.

I may be a little bit more paranoid than I need to be, but I figure it's better to try and figure out a plan now....as opposed to AFTER something happens. Granted, a "plan" is usually just a list of things that don't happen, but I like to know what my options are other than putting my head between my legs and puckering up.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: June 25, 2009 12:22PM

Date: June 25, 2009 12:30PM

Tsar bomba!

Date: June 25, 2009 12:31PM

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 25, 2009 01:21PM

bomb shelters only protect you from conventional bombs but only when you are insides them. if a nuke or "dirty bomb" were to be detonated, you would be completely fucked regardless if you are in your concrete tomb fallout shelter or not.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: June 25, 2009 01:46PM

The Real Sculler Wrote:

I've heard there's one at the old Lorton prison that was there for the FBI:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lorton+prison&ie=UTF8&hl=en&radius=0.04&sll=38.687315,-77.241184&sspn=0.000576,0.00142&filter=0&rq=1&t=h&ll=38.687315,-77.241184&spn=0.000576,0.00142&z=20

Wikimapia has a note that says:

"Cold War Secret Bunker build in 1959.
Used by the FBI and emergency Staff in case of a nuclear attack on Washington DC.
Notice that the building is build perpendicular to Washington DC and on a slope,
this to minimize the damage from the blast.
For 40 years the bunker was kept operational to be decommissioned in 2001. "

Date: June 25, 2009 03:18PM

Now that you mention it, I remember seeing that on the special that was on the History Channel. They also talked about Greenbrier as well. I can't remember if they plowed it over or not, but I remember them showing people hauling all the old equipment and files outta there.

If it's not plowed over and destroyed, it'd almost be worth getting in trouble to poke around in there...

Date: June 25, 2009 03:30PM

Once I saw that Google Map I realized I've actually been there a couple of years ago. I got a few looks from the people working at the landfill when I drove down there, and I was surprized that no one went through my car when I parked it on the side of the road. But there was a hole in the fence I went through near one of the towers that led down the hill into the center of the prison complex. At the time I didn't know about the bunker and didn't put 2 and 2 together till now.

Well, looks like I've gotta go back there now.

Further reading on the bunker:

http://cigunston.blogspot.com/2007/09/volunteers-dismantle-lorton-bunker.html

Posted by: Furfur ()
Date: June 25, 2009 03:42PM

Fallout shelters are great until your water chip breaks and you only have 180 days to find a new one. Then, when you bring one back, the other people living in the shelter kick you out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." - Anton Lavey

Posted by: Bonfire ()
Date: June 26, 2009 04:33PM

boredom Wrote:
> No worries. If you live on the Centreville side
> of Fairfax County, and a nuke were to strike D.C.
> you'd be fairly safe as long as you got out of
> town quickly. It would need to be nearly a 50
> megaton blast
>
> Assuming a single blast instead of a MIRV, and a 1
> megaton yield, if you live anywhere on the west
> side of west Falls Church you'd be safe from the
> blast. The initial radiation wouldn't be a
> problem either if the wind weren't blowing west
> (which basically never happens) and you left the
> area immediately.
>
> On the other hand, if it were a 50 megaton blast,
> which was the largest man-made nuclear explosion,
> you'd be screwed. That one would obliterate
> everything from D.C. to Alexandria, and be lethal
> all the way out to Gainesville.
>
> If it were a MIRV, we're all pretty well fucked.
> As an example, one of the models of Trident II
> (and there are several each with different yields)
> carries 8 independently targeted 100 kiloton
> nuclear warheads. That, or an equivalent, aimed
> at D.C. would destroy a huge section of Northern
> VA and parts of Maryland.
>
> So, basically, even if you had a bomb shelter it
> would be worthless because you wouldn't need it,
> or you'd have to stay in it for several months and
> likely run out of food and water before being
> forced to leave before it was safe.

This would change depending on the altitude of the detonation. At 50 megatons, from a height of about .5 mile , you can triple those distances

Posted by: i know ()
Date: June 27, 2009 03:25PM

old westmore es building in fairfax has one..signs used to be up on the entrance when i was last there 15 years ago...

Posted by: wtf ()
Date: June 27, 2009 08:01PM

Furfur Wrote:
> Fallout shelters are great until your water chip
> breaks and you only have 180 days to find a new
> one. Then, when you bring one back, the other
> people living in the shelter kick you out.

was that a fallout reference?

Posted by: Stoner ()
Date: June 27, 2009 10:02PM

why are they called fall OUT shelters cuz like shouldnt you be getting IN shelter cuz like if you fall OUT of the shelter you'd uh you'd uh wait what? I just totally shit my pants.

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: June 27, 2009 11:51PM

The Real Sculler Wrote:
> Thanks, "hello, newman". That's all I needed to
> know. Even better that it's Clifton Elementary of
> all places, that's pretty close to me. I was
> pretty young during the Cold War, but from what I
> know they built 'em to last back then.
>
> I may be a little bit more paranoid than I need to
> be, but I figure it's better to try and figure out
> a plan now....as opposed to AFTER something
> happens. Granted, a "plan" is usually just a list
> of things that don't happen, but I like to know
> what my options are other than putting my head
> between my legs and puckering up.

a little bit more paranoid??

No, you are absolutely and irrationally way too paranoid.

North Korea's best missile, the taepodong II, can, on a really good day with a lot of luck, reach the aluetian islands, maybe about halfway up the chain. That is the closest they can get to "American soil".

They can't even do that very well. And most intelligence assessments are that they still have yet to achieve a nuclear detonation, since they have been unable to find any radiation from their two "tests". The first one is now dubbed "a mountain filled with TNT".

As far as people who say fallout shelters are useless, if you are not in the immediate blast zone, but lie within the shockwave zone, being underground is the difference between living and dying. 10 to 30 minutes after the shockwave, you should be high-tailing it away from the detonation zone, and getting a mountain or two between you and the fallout zone, preferrable going into the wind, not following the direction of wind flow.

If you are in a fallout zone, and cannot leave, find a basement, cover all the exposed (aboveground parts of) walls and windows of the basement with at least a foot of dirt. In the basement, go to the innermost room and cover youserlf with a blanket or any material that will keep radioactive dust from contacting your skin. Even putting a wooden door between two tables and stacking books on it provides more mass the prevent radioactive particles from reaching you. Just think about more mass as your protection.

But either way, what you don't want to do is be exposed when the fallout starts. Either get out of dodge, or get yourself covered by as much mass as you can find.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 02:01AM by Thurston Moore.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 28, 2009 01:58AM

didn't anyone see Broken Arrow? i think it had John Travolta? Yeah the nuke exploded deep underground and there was still a huge shockwave that overturned trucks. And movies are always unrealistic, so that means the shockwave will kill you.

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: June 28, 2009 02:06AM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> didn't anyone see Broken Arrow? i think it had
> John Travolta? Yeah the nuke exploded deep
> underground and there was still a huge shockwave
> that overturned trucks. And movies are always
> unrealistic, so that means the shockwave will kill
> you.

Yeah, well in that movie, since it exploded in a deep copper mine, the copper was fused by the explosion, containing all of the radiation.

But it also created and EM pulse, somehow, which I've always been told occurs with an upper atmosphere detonation. Plus, all Johnny had to do was turn of his HMMV, while the helicopter lost all power and crashed, and Johnny was able to start his HMMV right back up (though I do know that some humvees are EMP shielded, and even NBC protected. Even some have special windshields designed to prevent the occupants from being blinded by a nuclear blast.)

I wouldn't base anything on that movie. It was a very entertaining movie, but really didn't have anything to do with reality.

For example, why were they carrying two live nukes on a training mission? Remember the big stink when a bomber "accidentally" carried a live nuke from Minot AFB to Barksdale AFB, about 2 or 3 years ago? Everyone thought that Cheney had tried to use his little cabal to move a nuke to be used against Iran.

Yeah, don't believe the movies.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 02:26AM by Thurston Moore.

Posted by: Kenny_Powers ()
Date: June 28, 2009 03:36AM

Stoner Wrote:
> why are they called fall OUT shelters cuz like
> shouldnt you be getting IN shelter cuz like if you
> fall OUT of the shelter you'd uh you'd uh wait
> what? I just totally shit my pants.

you are my new favorite character on these boards.

Posted by: Morrissey ()
Date: June 28, 2009 10:41AM

Armageddon - come armageddon!
Come, armageddon! come!

Everyday is like sunday
Everyday is silent and grey

Hide on the promenade
Etch a postcard :
How I dearly wish I was not here
In the seaside town
...that they forgot to bomb
Come, come, come - nuclear bomb

Posted by: Lake Bradcock ()
Date: May 20, 2023 06:05AM

Annandale HS has a big bomb shelter under it.

Posted by: Good luck ()
Date: May 20, 2023 07:54AM

I have a basement

Posted by: DeepBlack73 ()
Date: May 20, 2023 08:43PM

Stoner Wrote:
> why are they called fall OUT shelters cuz like
> shouldnt you be getting IN shelter cuz like if you
> fall OUT of the shelter you'd uh you'd uh wait
> what? I just totally shit my pants.

Actually, all of you are fucked if you live within a 100-mile radius of Washington D.C. or within a 50-mile radius of Baltimore, Maryland. The Wahington-Baltimore metropolitan area, also known as the National Capital Region (NCR), has multiple military, command and control, and infrastructure targets that would be critical to the US government using in the event of a war with Russia.

Expect a near unbroken line of nuclear strikes from Elkton, Maryland south to Richmond, Virginia and from Stevensville, Maryland west to Martinsburg, West Virginia. As far as bunkers go, ain't enough around for you to get in to one in time so don't bother looking, they are already targeted too.

Fallout shelters are non-existent here as in much of the United States now. Your better off getting in good with neighbor that fortified their basement or if your lucky, get in good with a neighbor who owns a house from the 1950's or 1960's when they were actually building in fallout shelters and bunkers as part of the house.

....or if your Scrooge McDuck, call Ron Atlas at Atlas Survial Shelters and have him put a bunker under your new house or backyard! Its either that or see how far you can get away from Washington in 30-minutes if nuclear attack is underway. You'll be hard-pressed to find or get into a fallout shelter in Washington or Baltimore because there hardly any left now.

Date: May 20, 2023 08:54PM

Good luck Wrote:
> I have a basement

It will be your tomb. Especially if its a more modern house, most houses with basements constructed since the 1970s were not built with surviving a atomic/nuclear detonation in mind.

Majority of modern houses with basements are not fortified. If there was an atomic/nuclear detonation it's likely the residential structure above you would just collapse down into the basement or, the building would be entirely torn away leaving the basement fully exposed to the sky above.

Your better off (but not by much) in the sub-basement level of a garage or an office building where the machinery is.

Date: May 20, 2023 09:21PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> didn't anyone see Broken Arrow? i think it had
> John Travolta? Yeah the nuke exploded deep
> underground and there was still a huge shockwave
> that overturned trucks. And movies are always
> unrealistic, so that means the shockwave will kill
> you.

@KeepOnTruckin, research Salmon Event, Mississippi, 1964 and Sterling Event, 1966; that will change you mind.

Shockwave from an underground nuclear explosion can and will kill you if your close enough and the explosion is powerful enough to propagate a shockwave out.

It can rupture your internal organs the same way a thermobaric blast can.

Posted by: there are to those who know ()
Date: May 21, 2023 01:52PM

the bunkers i know about in fairfax are currently in operation overgrow

i wont say where the entrances are, but it is no rumor there is an underground chemical manufacturing plant that produces large quantaties of psychedelics for the rich kids in the area.

i used to go down into the clean rooms and see acres of shrooms. like the end of radiers of the lost ark there was multiple warehouse sized rooms lit from above by fiber optically piped light tubes., the whole place was actively patrolled by armed gaurds and the small door was big enough to drive 3 semi trucks side by side into the facility.

now they make meth as well , its been in operation for a long ass time.
im sure though if you did know where the door was they would let you in if a bomb was dropped because in the chaos they would want to have more pickers.,.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.