HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 28
Re: High School Football 2016
Posted by: Kewal Paudel ()
Date: August 30, 2016 08:04AM

As many as 1,184 players will be dropped from NFL rosters over the next eight days, and the massive reduction started on Saturday. Among the players waived were defensive tackle Darren Lake, wide receiver Jarvis Turner and cornerback Ryan White.

NFL teams can have as many as 90 players on their rosters now. But at 3 p.m. CDT Tuesday, the limit drops to 75. Teams must have their rosters at the regular-season maximum of 53 players by 3 p.m. Sept. 3.

Four of the teams that played their third preseason games on Thursday or Friday combined to release 42 players on Saturday.

The Atlanta Falcons waived White, a former Auburn cornerback. White had been with the Falcons only since Aug. 15, and he did not play in Atlanta's preseason loss to the Miami Dolphins on Thursday night. This marks the third straight preseason that White has been released by an NFL team. He went to training camp with the Green Bay Packers in 2014 and 2015.

Lake played at Sumter County High School in York before going to Alabama. He joined the San Francisco 49ers as an undrafted rookie in May. Lake made five tackles and forced a fumble in three preseason games with San Francisco.

A prep standout at Murphy in Mobile, Turner attended Washington's rookie minicamp in May on a tryout basis and signed with the Redskins on June 2. Turner played in two of Washington's three preseason games without catching a pass.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 9VYTG ()
Date: August 30, 2016 08:06AM

Colin Kaepernick is no child, just to be clear. He's 28 years old, a man by any measure. (Remember when some called 32-year-old Ryan Lochte a "kid" as a way of excusing his boorish, privileged behavior in Rio? Sorry, I digress.)

Relative to many of us, however, he's still a young man (nod to Tower of Power fans), so his actions over the last few days prompted me to the familiar Old Testament scripture that speaks of that glorious day when all of the animals of the Earth will be able to live together peacefully, without threat or fear—and in the midst of them, the children of the world will lie safely among them.

Most of us interpret the scripture as saying a child will actually lead us to some great place. But according to respected, long-time Pastor John A. MacArthur of the Grace Community Church in Los Angeles, that is not correct.

In his book, Theologically Speaking, he writes:

This passage is a discussion of the Day of the Lord. This is the day that Christians look forward to when Jesus Christ will remove the curse of sin from our world and restore peace to all of creation. As a result of this peace, wolf, lion, lamb, cobra, calf, bear, and children will all live in harmony. A child will be able to lead a lion (or a wolf, etc.) around without fear of harm. Let us stop using this phrase as if the Bible tells us that children will one day lead adults. It says nothing of the sort.

Well, with apologies to Pastor, MacArthur, let me this say this:

Kaepernick, a San Francisco 49ers quarterback, has indeed led us to a new place, and in so doing made many of us smarter than we were before he chose to sit rather than stand for "The Star-Spangled Banner" prior to an NFL preseason game last week and then, a few days later, proudly and eloquently share his reasons for doing so.

The core of his concern is the treatment of African-American youth by some elements of law enforcement and the perceived lack of accountability for their actions.

"This isn't new ground," he told reporters on Sunday evening. "There are things that have gone on in this country for years and years and have never been addressed, and they need to be."

"Police brutality," he said, when asked to be specific. "There's people being murdered unjustly and not being held accountable. People are being given paid leave for killing people. That's not right. That's not right by anyone's standards.
He spoke openly about the discussions his actions spawned among his teammates, saying some have said "I really respect you" for what he is doing.

He was asked if was doing this because he was personally oppressed, a question that naively suggests someone of his stature and economic means might be immune to mistreatment. (Not).

"There have been situations where I feel like I've been ill-treated, yes," he said. "This stand wasn't for me. This stand wasn't because I feel like I'm being put down in any kind of way. This is because I'm seeing things happen to people that don't have a voice, people that don't have a platform to talk and have their voices heard, and effect change. So I'm in the position where I can do that and I'm going to do that for people that can't."

He said he would continue to take his stand by sitting, at least for the foreseeable future.

"I'm going to continue to stand with the people that are being oppressed. To me this is something that has to change. When there's significant change and I feel like that flag represents what it's supposed to represent, this country is representing people the way that it's supposed to, I'll stand."

See the full transcript of Kaepernick's remarks here.

Of course his move ignited a social-media firestorm-what doesn't these days. Predictably, many critics blasted him for daring to sit during the anthem, much as folks went apoplectic when USA gymnast Gabby Douglas failed to place her hand over her heart during a gold medal ceremony at the Rio Olympics.

He also got the expected darts from within NFL circles, including a former teammate/roommate and Alex Boone, who has a brother in the Marines and used vulgarities to speak of Kaepernick's stance (without reaching out to him, of course, or acknowledging that the 49ers QB specifically elaborated that he had "great respect for the men and women that have fought for this country," adding: "They fight for freedom, they fight for the people, they fight for liberty and justice, for everyone".)

My reaction: good for him, for myriad reasons.

There appears to be a simmering movement among high-profile athletes—sparked in part by the NBA's Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James, Dwayne Wade and others, who issued a call to action to their peers at the ESPY's earlier this summer—in many sports to utilize their platform to call attention to the racial injustices, violence in our inner cities and other issues that are tearing our nation apart right now.

Kaepernick answered the call, in his own way, and at great risk. He wasn't (and isn't) scared, and for that I applauded him.

Now, I credit him for doing something perhaps he did not intend to do—to make us pause, reflect and research the core truth about the song we now salute with pride yet with little to no thought.

This morning, as I walked my dog, I came across at story about the history of the anthem on my Facebook timeline that knocked me off my feet. Written by Josh Schwartz of Theintercept.com, it diligently details two truths about "The Star Spangled:"

First and foremost, the context of it being written in the midst of the War of 1812, a battle between America and the British waged largely over Canada (they occupied it, and we wanted it) and British support for Native Americans combating American settlers trying to drive them from their lands. Thousands of black American slaves escaped and, in some cases, joined the British forces against the Americans—which created a significant threat to the Southern economy.

Many of us know the SSB was a poem (titled "Defiance of Fort McHenry") written by Francis Scott Key, who was inspired by the site of the American flag still flying over Fort McHenry in Baltimore after it was bombarded by the British Navy. What most of don't know, and what was revealed in the article, are the words at the end of the third verse:

No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Translation: The British couldn't save the slaves from the hell we have for them over here—o're the land of the free, etc, etc...

The article also told us a little bit about Key, who went on to become a prominent Maryland attorney and the U.S. Attorney for for the District of Columbia. Oh, and a slaveholder who used his skills to work both sides of the tainted, bloody coin—representing some slaves who sought their freedom, as well as masters seeking their runaways.

Later, while some considered him all but an abolitionist for his stance against slavery's cruelties (many considered him a "good" master." Lordy.), he also brought a grand-jury indictment against an anti-slavery publication and its printer, charging them with libel for daring to write: ""There is neither mercy nor justice for colored people in this district [of Columbia]"

I also did some research on my own and learned that "The Star-Spangled Banner"—after Key's poem was paired with John Stafford Smith's music—didn't become our anthem until 1931, 42 years after it was allowed to be used officially by the U.S. Navy and President Woodrow Wilson (by the way, one of our most racist Presidents ever).

So let's credit Colin Kaepernick for, intentionally or not, letting us know that—bottom line—we need a new national anthem.

The Star-Spangled Banner, like many of documents crafted by our forefathers and their descendants, is far from perfect. Those "sacred" documents did not recognize women and nonwhites as deserving of all the rights and privileges of American citizenship—a battle we are still, alas, fighting today.

We've edited and amended many of those documents.

The SSB needs to be scrapped as the song for which we all stand together—the lions, lambs and others among us—hold our heads high and salute with pride.

And it took a young man sitting down to show us so.

Posted by: novafootballfan ()
Date: August 30, 2016 09:44AM

steve2K had a nice 5 year run of picking games. too bad this forum has gone into the crapper. i can’t blame him for not coming back for a 6th season. no spread but I will pick winners.

Hayfield
Fairfax
West Potomac
Mount Vernon
W.T. Woodson
Westfield
Centreville
Falls Church
John Paul the Great
Lake Braddock
South Lakes
Oakton
South County
Robinson

Posted by: Northern Region fan ()
Date: August 30, 2016 12:09PM

My picks, which, of course, are worth what you paid for them:

GVhp9 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fairfax County Football Games This Week
>
> Thursday, September 1
> Edison @ Hayfield

Hayfield

> Fairfax @ Herndon

I'm not touching this one. If I had to put a betting line on it, I'd say Pick 'em, but way too many unknowns in this one for me to make a guess.

> Langley @ West Potomac

West Potomac

> Mount Vernon @ Stuart

Mt. Vernon. Mt. Vernon handled W-L convincingly. They may not be the usual doormat this year.

> W.T. Woodson @ Chantilly

I'll go with Woodson. Chantilly lost a lot. I saw Woodson scrimmage South Lakes, and they looked good. I think they'll be a force this year.

> Washington-Lee @ Westfield

Washington-Lee. There might be a running clock by the end of the third quarter.

>
> Friday, September 2
> Annandale @ Centreville

Centreville

> Eastern @ Falls Church

No clue

> John Paul the Great @ Thomas Jefferson

JP

> Lee @ Lake Braddock

Lake Braddock. Also look for a running clock here.

> Marshall @ South Lakes

South Lakes, but not by as much as you might think.

> Oakton @ Madison

Oakton, though this would be runner up for game of the week.

> South County @ Briar Woods

South County

> West Springfield @ Robinson

Robinson

>
> McLean has the week off.
>
> I'd say the game of this week is West Springfield
> at Robinson.
>
> Anyone have any upset picks?

Date: August 30, 2016 12:11PM

novafootballfan Wrote:
> steve2K had a nice 5 year run of picking games.
> too bad this forum has gone into the crapper. i
> can’t blame him for not coming back for a 6th
> season. no spread but I will pick winners.
>
> Hayfield
> Fairfax
> West Potomac
> Mount Vernon
> W.T. Woodson
> Westfield
> Centreville
> Falls Church
> John Paul the Great
> Lake Braddock
> South Lakes
> Oakton
> South County
> Robinson

Is it confirmed that Steve K2 isn't coming back? That would be hugely disappointing, but understandable, I guess.

Posted by: Northern Man ()
Date: August 30, 2016 12:30PM

Steve 2K moved South...he might chime in remotely though as this is Al Gores Internet! The Robinson West Springfield Game as well as The South County Briar Woods Games will be good early barometers for the Region as a whole. Don't see South County running away from Briar Woods like they did last year however they should get the win by 14, Robinson will grind West Springfields two-way lineman by the Third qtr. and Barring any Muskett Miracles should control the Clock and the Game. If Oakton wins by less than 28 points they need to drop football completely!

Posted by: GONE TO HELL ()
Date: August 30, 2016 12:39PM

Once a thread is cursed, it STAYS cursed!
Attachments:
FORUM_CRAP.jpg

Posted by: Play Ball ()
Date: August 30, 2016 12:41PM

I'm sure he was sending that selfie to His Wife...? and Really He looks about as hard as South County thinks they are! What a Stallion!

Posted by: Steve2K2 ()
Date: August 30, 2016 11:17PM

Edison @ Hayfield
Hayfield by 21

Fairfax @ Herndon
Fairfax by 13, new coach with great reputation

Langley @ West Potomac
West Potomac by 28, speed kills

Mount Vernon @ Stuart
My. Vernon 2-0... Who would have guessed that

W.T. Woodson @ Chantilly
Tough call. Woodson is improved and chantilly is down. Chantilly still has more talent. Chantilly by 3.

Washington-Lee @ Westfield
Westfield by whatever they want

Annandale @ Centreville
Centreville by 28. Much improved team from a year ago. Maybe a dark horse

Eastern @ Falls Church
Falls Church, maybe??

John Paul the Great @ Thomas Jefferson
??

Lee @ Lake Braddock
Lake Braddock by whatever they want

Marshall @ South Lakes
South Lakes by 14

Oakton @ Madison
Oakton by 7. They always beat Madison

South County @ Briar Woods
South County wears them out late and wins by 21

West Springfield @ Robinson
West Springfield by 17. Robinson's running back will be out for awhile and they were overrated before that.

Posted by: Whyyyyyy??? ()
Date: August 31, 2016 01:26PM

Steve2K2 Wrote:
> Edison @ Hayfield
> Hayfield by 21
>
> Fairfax @ Herndon
> Fairfax by 13, new coach with great reputation
>
> Langley @ West Potomac
> West Potomac by 28, speed kills
>
> Mount Vernon @ Stuart
> My. Vernon 2-0... Who would have guessed that
>
> Tough call. Woodson is improved and chantilly is
> down. Chantilly still has more talent. Chantilly
> by 3.
>
> Westfield by whatever they want
>
> Centreville by 28. Much improved team from a year
> ago. Maybe a dark horse
>
> Eastern @ Falls Church
> Falls Church, maybe??
>
> ??
>
> Lee @ Lake Braddock
> Lake Braddock by whatever they want
>
> Marshall @ South Lakes
> South Lakes by 14
>
> Oakton @ Madison
> Oakton by 7. They always beat Madison
>
>
> South County wears them out late and wins by 21
>
> West Springfield by 17. Robinson's running back
> will be out for awhile and they were overrated
> before that.

Why does Chantilly suck so much at football. They clearly have talent as shown by their other sports teams, and it's not that something is wrong with the area because surrounding teams like Westfield, Centreville, and South Lakes are doing well. Additionally, Chantilly has a higher student population than the other schools I just mentioned. What seems to be the issue?

Posted by: NCAAFB ()
Date: August 31, 2016 01:48PM

Tempted to toss the loser of the Florida State-Ole Miss game out of the College Football Playoff? Ready to crown Bama national champs after a win over USC (8 p.m. ET, ABC)?

Throw some cold water on those hot takes.

History reminds us Week 1 is a mirage; that come late November, all of these winners (and losers) will look completely different. After reviewing the first week of each of the past two seasons in the CFP, here are five reminders to help keep perspective in spite of so many games of such magnitude:

Don't overreact to a Texas A&M win

In each of the past two seasons, the Aggies have wowed us -- for a skinny minute -- in Week 1. Remember 2014? "Kenny Trill?" A&M hammered No. 9 South Carolina 52-28 -- in Columbia! There was only one problem: The Gamecocks weren't even close to being a top-10 team and finished unranked, deflating what appeared to be a statement win. Last year, A&M beat No. 15 Arizona State 38-17. No matter. It was irrelevant after the Aggies finished the regular season with four losses and quarterbacks Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray transferred. Don't be surprised if Texas A&M wins on Saturday against No. 16 UCLA. Be surprised if it amounts to something.

Get your "body clocks" ready

Even former CFP committee chair Jeff Long can joke about this phrase, which became associated with Stanford's shocking 16-6 loss to Northwestern last year in a game which kicked off at 11 a.m. local time. "I think we would not be doing our due diligence if we didn't recognize that that team was playing at 9:00 a.m. Pacific," Long said on Nov. 10 when asked if Stanford's "body clocks" were really a factor. So get ready: Somebody is going to lose unexpectedly again, and when they do -- remember, it's not over. Stanford went on to lose to Oregon too and was still in contention for the top four.

In 2014, the Sooners were ranked No. 4 in the Associated Press preseason poll and finished the season unranked by the selection committee. Last year, Oklahoma was No. 19 in the preseason poll -- and finished in the CFP semifinals at No. 4. The Sooners' fate will not be determined by Saturday's result against Houston (12 p.m. ET, ABC). Oklahoma could go on to run the table, beat a top-ranked Ohio State along the way and earn a spot in the CFP just as it did last year in spite of a loss to Texas. A win is the first step in a long road to getting back to a semifinal.

An LSU win over Wisconsin can be quickly forgotten

In 2014, LSU beat No. 14-ranked Wisconsin 28-24 -- and then lost at home to an unranked Mississippi State team three weeks later. It was only the beginning of the Tigers' unraveling that year, as they went on to lose to Auburn, Alabama and Arkansas that 8-5 season. So it goes in the SEC West. If LSU can win in Lambeau Field on Saturday (3:30 p.m ET, ABC), the Tigers will obviously pad their résumé with a quality nonconference win, but it will only matter if they're relevant in the SEC race this time around.

Alabama is the lone preseason favorite with staying power

The only consistent team from start to finish in the playoff era has been the Tide, which has been ranked in the top four in each of the past two AP preseason polls and managed to finish in the top four of the committee's rankings both years. No. 1 Alabama is again a CFP front-runner heading into Saturday's game against USC. Until proven otherwise, expect the Tide to remain relevant through the SEC schedule.

Posted by: Messi is better ()
Date: August 31, 2016 01:50PM

Ricky Tan Wrote:
> Ronaldo enjoyed a sensational 2015/16, winning the
> UEFA Champions League with Madrid before leading
> his country to UEFA EURO 2016 glory. The
> 31-year-old beat off competition from club-mate
> Gareth Bale and Atlético Madrid striker Antoine
> Griezmann to land the award he first picked up in
> 2013/14.
>
> Full results
> Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid/POR) 40
> Antoine Griezmann (Atlético Madrid/FRA) 8
> Gareth Bale (Real Madrid/WAL) 7
>
>
> Ronaldo's 2015/16 records and milestones
>
> Madrid's all-time leading scorer in the Liga
> Five hundred career goals for club and country
> Madrid's all-time record goalscorer
> Most goals in a single group stage
> Second to Lionel Messi in FIFA Ballon d'Or
> Second top scorer in Liga history
> Decisive penalty in Champions League final
> 2015/16 UEFA Champions League top scorer
> Portugal's all-time most-capped player
> UEFA.com Goal of the Season poll winner
> Most all-time EURO finals appearances
> Scores in fourth EURO final tournament
> Joint-most EURO final tournament goals
> Dramatic UEFA EURO 2016 triumph
> Spanish Liga: 36 appearances, 35 goals, 11
> assists
> UEFA Champions League: 12 appearances, 16 goals, 4
> assists
> UEFA EURO 2016: 7 appearances, 3 goals, 3 assists

Fuck Ronaldo it's all about Messi.

Barcelona midfielder Rafinha is open to leaving the club on loan if he does not feature regularly under Luis Enrique this season.

Rafinha, 23, has seen the competition for a place in the Barca starting XI increase this summer following the signings of Denis Suarez and Andre Gomes.

On top of that, Sergio Busquets, Andres Iniesta and Ivan Rakitic are also part of a list of as many as nine players at the club who would name their favoured position as a central midfielder.

Rafinha, who has reportedly attracted interest from Sevilla, can also play further forward and has no immediate plans to leave the Camp Nou, but has conceded he would not be averse to seeking playing time elsewhere if it becomes necessary.

"I don't think about leaving, the truth is that I want to be here at Barca," he told Catalunya Radio. "But logically, if I don't play regularly... well, it's normal that a player wants to play.

"The best for a footballer, what's normal, is to want to be on the pitch. If I don't get that here, there will be no problem going on loan somewhere else. But I will give my all to be able to get minutes for Barca."

Rafinha made his first appearance of the season in Sunday's 1-0 La Liga win over Athletic Bilbao, coming on as a late substitute after returning from Brazil, where he won an Olympic gold medal with his national side.

He has always enjoyed a good relationship with Luis Enrique, who he also worked under at Barca B and during a loan spell at Celta Vigo in the 2013-14 season.

Since returning to Barcelona in 2014, he has made 47 first-team appearances, although that number would have been higher if he had not missed the majority of last season with knee ligament damage.

After Munir El Haddadi's loan move to Valencia was confirmed on Tuesday, the number of players to leave Barca this summer has risen to 13.

Luis Enrique is currently working with a squad of 22 players -- including three goalkeepers -- and it is unlikely he would be willing to allow Rafinha to leave on a temporary basis.

Posted by: FOOTBALL ()
Date: August 31, 2016 02:19PM

LEE high school is my dark horse team this year.

Posted by: Conf 7 Guy ()
Date: September 01, 2016 07:43AM

Edison @ Hayfield
Hayfield by 21

That sounds about right

Fairfax @ Herndon
Fairfax by 13, new coach with great reputation

Might not be enough there. Herndon is still a bad, bad football team.

Langley @ West Potomac
West Potomac by 28, speed kills

Agree. Langley won't be able to keep up.

Mount Vernon @ Stuart
My. Vernon 2-0... Who would have guessed that

Feast while you can, Majors. The Conference schedule is coming.

W.T. Woodson @ Chantilly
Tough call. Woodson is improved and chantilly is down. Chantilly still has more talent. Chantilly by 3.

I'm going the other way on this one. Woodson by 3.

Washington-Lee @ Westfield
Westfield by whatever they want

This might be a mercy rule by the 2nd quarter.

Annandale @ Centreville
Centreville by 28. Much improved team from a year ago. Maybe a dark horse

I'm going with Centreville, but not by quite that much. 21 tops.

Eastern @ Falls Church
Falls Church, maybe??

Eastern. Eastern what? No matter, I'm going with Eastern.

John Paul the Great @ Thomas Jefferson
Kind of wacky. Friends with the JPtG coach so I'll take them over the smarties.

Lee @ Lake Braddock
Lake Braddock by whatever they want

This one could be like the Westfield game. Effectively over by the start of the 2nd quarter.

Marshall @ South Lakes
South Lakes by 14

eh, I guess.

Oakton @ Madison
Oakton by 7. They always beat Madison

Since it's on the football field and not the baseball field, I'll buy this.

South County @ Briar Woods
South County wears them out late and wins by 21

that's about right.

West Springfield @ Robinson
West Springfield by 17. Robinson's running back will be out for awhile and they were overrated before that.

Agreed.

Posted by: Kewal paudel ()
Date: September 01, 2016 11:48AM

NEW YORK -- The best 48 hours I've experienced at the world's wildest tennis tournament ended in a back corridor of an exclusive locker room that I never imagined having the license to enter.

"Sorry, Coach," Benjamin Becker told me.

"I should have served better. I had to serve better."

Becker was exactly right, of course, speaking strictly in terms of his objective Tuesday at the US Open, which was trying to shock the world -- as he did precisely a decade earlier -- by beating sixth-seeded Kei Nishikori in the first round.

Yet this was equally true about a conversation that was only possible in a players-and-coaches-only clubhouse because of the magical credential Becker improbably chose to hang around my neck:

The man who famously ushered Andre Agassi into retirement at the 2006 Open, having granted me unprecedented access to a world I've fantasized about since I was 13, was the last person on Earth who had to explain anything to me.

Thanks to Benni's benevolence, this tennis junkie just recharged for his 24th successive season of NBA coverage with a two-day fantasy camp straight off the Stein Line Bucket List.

Thanks to Becker, for the rest of my life now, I'll be able to answer the following question with the biggest smile:

How does it feel to go anywhere you want to go on the grounds of the National Tennis Center with a big gear bag slung over your shoulder in hopes that it makes you look like you know what you're doing?

Answer: Even better than you'd think.

I am by no means remotely qualified to coach a professional tennis player, even for a day, but that didn't stop Becker -- unexpectedly coachless at this Open -- from handing me the assignment. We've built a friendship as co-residents of the Dallas area over the past few years, sparked mostly by his and fellow German touring pro Philipp Petzschner's uber fandom of countryman Dirk Nowitzki and the NBA. The effect was doubled by my corresponding obsession with tennis, which began for me around the seventh grade and, truth be told, clinched my career choice of sports writer before I could drive.

Posted by: Conference 6 fan ()
Date: September 01, 2016 12:42PM

Offering up my comments as well, but only on certain games.

Conf 7 Guy Wrote:
> Edison @ Hayfield
> Hayfield by 21
>
> That sounds about right
>
Agree as well
>
> Fairfax @ Herndon
> Fairfax by 13, new coach with great reputation
>
> Might not be enough there. Herndon is still a bad,
> bad football team.
>
True about Herdon, but don't forget that Fairfax was also a bad team last year, finishing 1-9. I have seen a bit of Fairfax this year, and it looks like their offense is better than last year, but I have questions about their defense. I'm going to go with Fairfax to win this game, and I think the line is about right.
>
> Langley @ West Potomac
> West Potomac by 28, speed kills
>
> Agree. Langley won't be able to keep up.

Also Agree

>
> Mount Vernon @ Stuart
> My. Vernon 2-0... Who would have guessed that
>
> Feast while you can, Majors. The Conference
> schedule is coming.

Good point, but W-L is generally a well-coached team, so that result is surprising. I saw W-L scrimmage Annandale, and even though they lost a lot from last year's team, they looked like the better team against Annandale. So Mt. Vernon's win against W-L looks better than it would otherwise seem.

>
> Tough call. Woodson is improved and chantilly is
> down. Chantilly still has more talent. Chantilly
> by 3.
>
> I'm going the other way on this one. Woodson by
> 3.

I agree. I've seen Woodson scrimmage, and they look good. Woodson is a classic example of a team getting lucky. Their season last year was heading south, until West Springfield gave them a gift-wrapped win. However, that win has generated enthusiasm for that program, and it showed in the scrimmage that I saw.

>
> Westfield by whatever they want
>
> This might be a mercy rule by the 2nd quarter.

Agree

>
> Centreville by 28. Much improved team from a year
> ago. Maybe a dark horse
>
> I'm going with Centreville, but not by quite that
> much. 21 tops.

I agree, though if Centreville wins by this much, it's more because Annandale doesn't look as good this year.

>
> Eastern @ Falls Church
> Falls Church, maybe??
>
> Eastern. Eastern what? No matter, I'm going with
> Eastern.
>
>
> Kind of wacky. Friends with the JPtG coach so I'll
> take them over the smarties.
>
>
> Lee @ Lake Braddock
> Lake Braddock by whatever they want
>
> This one could be like the Westfield game.
> Effectively over by the start of the 2nd quarter.
>
> Marshall @ South Lakes
> South Lakes by 14
>
> eh, I guess.
>
> Oakton @ Madison
> Oakton by 7. They always beat Madison
>
> Since it's on the football field and not the
> baseball field, I'll buy this.
>
> South County wears them out late and wins by 21
>
> that's about right.
>
> West Springfield by 17. Robinson's running back
> will be out for awhile and they were overrated
> before that.
>
> Agreed.

Posted by: pGymT ()
Date: September 01, 2016 02:19PM

On the strategy front, finally, came some good input from Golden State Warriors superfan Brad Gilbert, who years ago used to coach Nishikori: "To me, believe it or not, one place I would investigate is [hitting] deep down the middle. Sometimes Nishikori ... I think he's a lot better when he's one or two steps away from the center. I think Benni can make a little progression if he plays down the middle."

Gilbert's theory was backed by Aussie innovator Craig O'Shannessy, who sits at the forefront of the movement to bring tennis into the modern age of sports analytics and starred on the first tennis panel in the history of the Sloan Sports Conference, which I moderated in the spring of 2012.

According to O'Shannessy's data, Becker's best shot at winning depended on keeping points short, keeping the ball away from Nishikori's backhand as much as he could and attacking as aggressively as possible on Nishikori's second serve.

A hint of competency bubbled inside me Tuesday morning when Becker informed me that he had largely arrived at the same conclusions in his own fact-finding quest before the match.

Then I started to feel borderline optimistic when, on top of the fact that two of the pair's five previous meetings went to a tiebreaker in the deciding set, Nishikori didn't show for his scheduled 9:15 a.m. warm-up on the gleaming new Grandstand court.

Blessed with a locked-in start time of 11 a.m. in the first match of the day, both camps naturally requested a practice hit to get a taste of the court. But because Benni also wanted to warm up in the 9 o'clock hour, which would have necessitated splitting the court, Nishikori's decision to scrap that planned session suggested, at least to me, that perhaps we had annoyed him a bit.

If so, it wasn't nearly enough annoyance. Nishikori fans started finding their way into the stands as early as 9:35 a.m. ... and their hero started just as quickly. The US Open's 2014 runner-up capitalized on two Benni double-faults in the opening game, crushed four winners for a second quick break and ultimately hit 13 outright winners to Benni's one in the opening set.

Coaching me through this trauma in the players' box was my dear friend and Dallas neighbor Philip Farmer, who helped Bob and Mike Bryan achieve their first year-end No. 1 ranking in doubles in 2003 and later worked with top singles stars Sam Querrey and Shahar Pe'er. He quickly spotted Benni's struggles to read where Nishikori was going with his expertly disguised backhand and tried his best to ease the blame I was inevitably heaping on myself for the 6-1, 6-1 hole that engulfed Becker after just 49 minutes on the court.

"This guy [Nishikori] off the ground," Dr. Phil tried to tell me, "is very powerful and very accurate."

But things changed dramatically in the third set. I'd love to be able to claim some responsibility, too, but it was all Benni. He called for a bathroom break and informed me after the match that there were no bathroom duties involved. With a USTA official waiting outside, Becker kicked the door as hard as he could, cursed himself out in German and purged a good bit of his boiling anger.

Then he started to play the shots he intended to from the start, hitting out on numerous forehands, leaning into his backhand and putting pressure on the Nishikori second serve. He won the third set in 41 minutes, seized an early break in the fourth and had me fist-pumping next to Dr. Phil in the box as if I thought it could truly make a difference.

Benni later told me that the only other time he had uncorked the door-kicking bathroom routine was the 2015 Australian Open, where he rallied from two sets down to stun Aussie legend Lleyton Hewitt in five sets. With Nishikori starting to look a bit shaky, I really believed we were, at worst, going to lose in five sets here. Benni had seized the momentum.

Or so I prematurely concluded.

At 2-1 up in the fourth set, Benni double-faulted three times, which understandably unnerved a big server like him. He would ultimately total an uncharacteristic 10 double faults, which is why he was so dismayed with his serving overall.

Just as costly was a missed overhead at 30-all in the seventh game of the set. If Benni converted there, he'd have seized a huge break point opportunity. But he netted the inviting smash and won only two more points thereafter before Nishikori closed out a 6-1, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3 triumph.

"I was excited about that overhead," Benni said. "I wanted him to hit the lob. I was so excited that I jumped too early and realized in the air that I jumped too early."

We spent a good 20 minutes after the match replaying it all in that locker room, player and coach, reconstructing dozens of points behind a solitary door that shuts out the rest of the tennis world. You can safely presume that I'll remember the whole experience with far greater fondness than Benni will, since I'll surely never get this close to the game again.

Chauffeured to the site of the Open at 8 a.m. in one of those snazzy silver Mercedes SUVs. Soaking up all the oxygen on the pristine Grandstand court with Benni and hitting partner Daniel Brands before anyone else set foot inside the stadium. Coaching head-to-head, if you want to get technical, against a rather famous fellow Orange County, California, native named Michael Chang.

It all made me feel close enough to where I surely could have convinced even 13-year-old Marc Stein that, at least for a couple of days, I really did make it behind the curtain.

What Benjamin Becker didn't know when he extended this short-term job offer is that this would also be a historic Open for me. I probably shouldn't be sticking this in the same paragraph as Benni's unforgettable triumph in '06, which led to one of the longest standing ovations in the game's history to bring Agassi's career to an emotional halt, but 2016 marks the 30th anniversary of my first trip here, when I attended this one-of-a-kind carnival on cement as a 17-year-old with my El Toro High School doubles partner Craig DiFilippo.

In those days, I still deluded myself into thinking I could emulate my heroes: Shlomo Glickstein and Amos Mansdorf. Two short years later, when I covered another one of my all-time faves -- John McEnroe -- in my first pro tournament as a tennis scribe on the campus of UCLA in September 1988, I was focused on becoming the next Bud Collins.

This coaching stuff was a sensational racket, too, especially for a lifelong tennis dreamer. But a return to the real world beckons.

When another NBA-loving tennis pal, former world No. 7 and Minnesota Timberwolves devotee Mardy Fish, checked in via text Tuesday afternoon to ask what went wrong for "Coach Steiny," I gave it to him straight.

Time to go back where I belong. Back to what I do best. Back to being a professional second-guesser on the other side of the door.

Posted by: WF Fan ()
Date: September 01, 2016 10:14PM

History was made, for the first time in Westfield history, a freshman has played a regular season game, and he looked good out there. Rehman Johnson had 2 nice TD passes and a run for a TD in the first half before he sat out. Special Teams looked really good. Defenses looked as dominant as last year. And I know that they were playing against Washington and Lee, but the sophomore defensive back that everyone was bashing last week had 2 interceptions and took one back for a touchdown. In my 5 years of watching Westfield football I've never seen the offense run so smoothly, they looked really good even though one of their starting O-Linemen was out as well as their starting Running Back, Eugene Asante. Their sophomores looked really impressive but there don't seem to be too many junior contributors other than Tight End Nolan Cockrill. All in all they looked a lot better this year versus Washington Lee than they did last year, they could've easily scored 60+ points if they wanted to.

Posted by: 7VKxv ()
Date: September 01, 2016 10:50PM

I don't know what happened to W-L but they were not nearly as good a team as last year.

WFD did look pretty good although their o-line had a few shaky moments. I think you are confused though - the sophomore with the picks tonight was a LB not a DB.

Hopefully, someone is babysitting the kids this weekend - WFD will need all hands on deck to have a chance vs SoCo.

Posted by: What?? ()
Date: September 01, 2016 11:21PM

History was not made tonight, pretty certain Eddie Royal and Evan Royster played as freshman for Westfield, Lewis Corrum as well I think. The freshman is decent nothing spectacular, he's just part of a very thin varsity team. I've been following WF football since they opened. This is a decent team, but they are small and not very deep. The defense did look good but W&L is horrible, not much to boast about. If you think this D is better than last year then you're sadly mistaken. The DB that intercepted those two passes is an OLB, even though he's listed as a DB. He is NOT the DB that was being bashed two weeks ago. They'll be plenty of time for that once WF plays a real opponent. I'll be impressed if they play well next week against SOCO, then Stone Bridge and Briar Woods. The one positive is the offense is definitely ahead of where they were last year, which is good because they will need to score this year to win. W&L was crushed last week by Mt. Vernon, I believe they've won 3 or so games over the past couple years. Don't be misconstrued, this opponent tonight was a joke.

Posted by: Tilly Titans ()
Date: September 01, 2016 11:28PM

I agree with 7VKxv that WF will need everything they got to stay with SC. Tomorrow's game against SC vs. Briar Woods will shed allot of light on how good SC is. WL is not up to par to keep up with a NOVA power house, not the Coaches fault, they just don't get the demographics that produce quality football teams.

Date: September 01, 2016 11:33PM

And as far as your comment about never seeing a Westfield offense run so
smoothly that shows you've only been watching them for a few years. The Glennon era, both Sean and Mike were truly talented offenses. There were so
many quality players on those teams, Royster, Royal, Kruchko, Anderson, Corrum, etc. This offense appears to be more dynamic than the past couple years but it's nothing special. You've just been bored to death over the mundane ones WF has been winning games with the past few years. They were able to get away with it cause their defenses were so good. Be interesting to see how this season pans out but it's only one game, against a crummy team.

Date: September 01, 2016 11:34PM

What?? Wrote:
> History was not made tonight, pretty certain Eddie
> Royal and Evan Royster played as freshman for
> Westfield, Lewis Corrum as well I think. The
> freshman is decent nothing spectacular, he's just
> part of a very thin varsity team. I've been
> following WF football since they opened. This is a
> decent team, but they are small and not very deep.
> The defense did look good but W&L is horrible, not
> much to boast about. If you think this D is better
> than last year then you're sadly mistaken. The DB
> that intercepted those two passes is an OLB, even
> though he's listed as a DB. He is NOT the DB that
> was being bashed two weeks ago. They'll be plenty
> of time for that once WF plays a real opponent.
> I'll be impressed if they play well next week
> against SOCO, then Stone Bridge and Briar Woods.
> The one positive is the offense is definitely
> ahead of where they were last year, which is good
> because they will need to score this year to win.
> W&L was crushed last week by Mt. Vernon, I believe
> they've won 3 or so games over the past couple
> years. Don't be misconstrued, this opponent
> tonight was a joke.

Make no mistake I never said W&L was a good team. Evan Royster didn't play varsity as a freshman and Eddie Royal didn't go to Westfield as a freshman, he was at South Lakes and PVI before he came to Westfield. It was my mistake on DB, I got the wrong kid. Of course W&L is a bad team but even against bad teams it's been a while since I've seen Westfield come out and dominate like that. We'll have a good idea of how good Westfield and SOCO are in about a week or so.

Date: September 01, 2016 11:36PM

And I meant Mt.Vernon has won only a few games over the past couple seasons, not W&L. So the fact that they crushed W&L doesn't make tonight's WF victory that impressive.

Date: September 01, 2016 11:43PM

I might have been mistaken about the players but I'm pretty certain he wasn't the first freshman to ever play on varsity. My main point was that this team is good but nothing special. Looking at the roster they're smaller in size and numbers that recent past. Hell, the freshman team only has 52 kids, there were twice as many than that a mere 2-3 years ago. You would think a program as successful as WF would benefit from a state championship in regard to the number of kids coming out to play. That's not the case, it would appear demographics and the fear of concussions has resulted in a paultry turn out for WF football.

Date: September 02, 2016 12:05AM

What?? Wrote:
> I might have been mistaken about the players but
> I'm pretty certain he wasn't the first freshman to
> ever play on varsity. My main point was that this
> team is good but nothing special. Looking at the
> roster they're smaller in size and numbers that
> recent past. Hell, the freshman team only has 52
> kids, there were twice as many than that a mere
> 2-3 years ago. You would think a program as
> successful as WF would benefit from a state
> championship in regard to the number of kids
> coming out to play. That's not the case, it would
> appear demographics and the fear of concussions
> has resulted in a paultry turn out for WF
> football.

I understand where you are coming and I respect everything you say. 2 years ago there were 57 kids on the freshman team, and last year there were only 51. I don't know how many there were 3 years ago about I'm sure it's not twice as many as this year or nearly anywhere close. Another thing to keep in mind is the declining population at Westfield. This isn't the same school that was overcrowded with 3000+ kids, they ended last year with a 2600 kids, which is in part kind of the cause for the decline in numbers, but even then 52 is still a big number, so I doubt numbers are an issue for Westfield. You might be right about Noah Kim not being the first freshman to play in a regular season varsity game, but he's definetly the only one that comes to mind and I've been following Westfield football for a while now. To say that the team is good and nothing special just because they are younger than normal is not fair. I remember how everybody said Westfield was good but nothing special last year and look what they did. Westfield has always been a team that gets better with time. I'm not saying that Westfield will have it easy, I was just saying that they look a lot better than they normally do at this point in the season. And I'd also like to let you know that I'm not trying to troll you, so please don't misunderstand me.

Posted by: Please ()
Date: September 02, 2016 12:12AM

A lot of flaws in this WF team, some fixable, some not. The offense will go as 17 goes. If he learns to check down more often instead of locking on, he will see some of the wide open weapons he failed to see even against an outmanned W&L team. There's no running game to speak of, although 15 seems to run hard. 26 has good moves and quickness in open space, but he doesn't get to open space often. If the coach opens it up, the running game will benefit greatly. Defensively, the line and LB's should be able to play with anybody. DB's are a problem, but a lot of that is due to inexperience, not athleticism or effort. If WF can create pressure and force quick throws, they can hide the bigger weaknesses on this defense. The most obvious WF weakness is depth - there is none. The O line, missing at least one starter, did not dominate tonight. Lose another starter, and they are in trouble. Defensively, lose 93 or 32, and the defense also would be in trouble. There is no one behind the DB's.

Date: September 02, 2016 12:21AM

Please Wrote:
> A lot of flaws in this WF team, some fixable, some
> not. The offense will go as 17 goes. If he
> learns to check down more often instead of locking
> on, he will see some of the wide open weapons he
> failed to see even against an outmanned W&L team.
> There's no running game to speak of, although 15
> seems to run hard. 26 has good moves and
> quickness in open space, but he doesn't get to
> open space often. If the coach opens it up, the
> running game will benefit greatly. Defensively,
> the line and LB's should be able to play with
> anybody. DB's are a problem, but a lot of that is
> due to inexperience, not athleticism or effort. If
> WF can create pressure and force quick throws,
> they can hide the bigger weaknesses on this
> defense. The most obvious WF weakness is depth -
> there is none. The O line, missing at least one
> starter, did not dominate tonight. Lose another
> starter, and they are in trouble. Defensively,
> lose 93 or 32, and the defense also would be in
> trouble. There is no one behind the DB's.

I thought both the RBs did pretty good tonight considering they are backups, they are still missing their starting RB Eugene Asante who is a very good player. The team has other injuries so they aren't fully healthy yet. And yes the biggest problem is inexperience as there are multiple sophomores getting a lot of playing time, specifically Clancey, Morin, McCain, Kiley, and Asante. They will get better as time goes as they normally do. Yes the depth isn't as good as it has been in the past but there are very few teams in NOVA, if any that have more depth than Westfield. If there players can stay out of trouble and can stay healthy they have a shot at the state title, but the same can be said for Lake Braddock and South County. NOTE: I'm not saying that Westfield will dominate everyone like its 2007, I'm just stating that they are looking much better than they normally do during Week 1 especially considering that they are a lot younger than they normally are and have a couple key players injured.

Posted by: Bulldog Fan ()
Date: September 02, 2016 12:29AM

Winning it is what we do at Westfield. Winning is what we will always do at Westfield.

WInning

Winners

No whining

We are god's special children

Posted by: Please ()
Date: September 02, 2016 12:33AM

I agree they look sharper this year when compared to the countless penalties and miscues against W&L last year. I won't be surprised if the struggle against SoCo, but this year especially it will be about player development (17 and the DB's especially). If they don't lose a key player, WF should be more than competitive down the final stretch.

Date: September 02, 2016 12:39AM

Don't question Westfield, we are beyond reproach. We are truly special, the chosen ones.

WINNING

Posted by: Wf fan ()
Date: September 02, 2016 01:59AM

Why do you keep saying Asante is the starting back he never was the starter?

Date: September 02, 2016 02:08AM

Please Wrote:
> A lot of flaws in this WF team, some fixable, some
> not. The offense will go as 17 goes. If he
> learns to check down more often instead of locking
> on, he will see some of the wide open weapons he
> failed to see even against an outmanned W&L team.
> There's no running game to speak of, although 15
> seems to run hard. 26 has good moves and
> quickness in open space, but he doesn't get to
> open space often. If the coach opens it up, the
> running game will benefit greatly. Defensively,
> the line and LB's should be able to play with
> anybody. DB's are a problem, but a lot of that is
> due to inexperience, not athleticism or effort. If
> WF can create pressure and force quick throws,
> they can hide the bigger weaknesses on this
> defense. The most obvious WF weakness is depth -
> there is none. The O line, missing at least one
> starter, did not dominate tonight. Lose another
> starter, and they are in trouble. Defensively,
> lose 93 or 32, and the defense also would be in
> trouble. There is no one behind the DB's.

Date: September 02, 2016 02:11AM

WF Fan Wrote:
> Please Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A lot of flaws in this WF team, some fixable,
> some
> > not. The offense will go as 17 goes. If he
> > learns to check down more often instead of
> locking
> > on, he will see some of the wide open weapons
> he
> > failed to see even against an outmanned W&L
> team.
> > There's no running game to speak of, although
> 15
> > seems to run hard. 26 has good moves and
> > quickness in open space, but he doesn't get to
> > open space often. If the coach opens it up,
> the
> > running game will benefit greatly. Defensively,
> > the line and LB's should be able to play with
> > anybody. DB's are a problem, but a lot of that
> is
> > due to inexperience, not athleticism or effort.
> If
> > WF can create pressure and force quick throws,
> > they can hide the bigger weaknesses on this
> > defense. The most obvious WF weakness is depth
> -
> > there is none. The O line, missing at least one
> > starter, did not dominate tonight. Lose
> another
> > starter, and they are in trouble. Defensively,
> > lose 93 or 32, and the defense also would be in
> > trouble. There is no one behind the DB's.
>
> I thought both the RBs did pretty good tonight
> considering they are backups, they are still
> missing their starting RB Eugene Asante who is a
> very good player. The team has other injuries so
> they aren't fully healthy yet. And yes the biggest
> problem is inexperience as there are multiple
> sophomores getting a lot of playing time,
> specifically Clancey, Morin, McCain, Kiley, and
> Asante. They will get better as time goes as they
> normally do. Yes the depth isn't as good as it has
> been in the past but there are very few teams in
> NOVA, if any that have more depth than Westfield.
> If there players can stay out of trouble and can
> stay healthy they have a shot at the state title,
> but the same can be said for Lake Braddock and
> South County. NOTE: I'm not saying that Westfield
> will dominate everyone like its 2007, I'm just
> stating that they are looking much better than
> they normally do during Week 1 especially
> considering that they are a lot younger than they
> normally are and have a couple key players
> injured.

Posted by: Conference Clown ()
Date: September 02, 2016 08:12AM

Asante a good athlete at the Freshmen Level, Has Done Zero at Varsity so...nothing to Report there!

One would hope that all the Sophmores would have gotten reps last night considering it was 28 to 0 before the band got warmed up..their Reps do not necessarily speak to their ability, Rather W&L's inability.

The Kim kid will develop into a capable HS Athlete one of many workman QB's to lead,
the Westfield offense as for Him being at the Varsity level several things..Depth at the position, your 2nd string QB has become your first Team Running Back and Ultimately look no further than that Gaggle of kids wrestling on the sidelines, Two sets of Coaches kids, one happens to Coach QB's the other's kid happens to Play Freshmen QB ...Do the Math.

Ponder this,there are 15-20 Starters that never took varsity Reps as Freshmen who we're far more game Ready including a few who never even received the post Season call up...Is this a slap in their Face by the Coaching Staff or Desperate need at 1 position....

Next Week you won't see the Sophmore Elites nor the Freshman phenom..what you will see is just how Hungry the Champs are...Are they and the Staff up for the Challenge...Who cares..it's week 2!

Posted by: new to nova ()
Date: September 02, 2016 08:19AM

Nice comments...
What everyone is missing is this...
Westfield has a nucleus of State Champions back..
Defensively Jewell, Petrino, and Free played like studs, and more importantly led like studs.
Offensive side, Johnson was outstanding, as well as Frimpomg, Eckert, and Cockrell.
This was week 1....state champions are NOT coronated on week 1!

Posted by: 3EU7N ()
Date: September 02, 2016 08:36AM

What is the Concorde coming to when Woodson is taking down Chantilly? Was anyone at that game and what did they see?

Posted by: Bulldog Booster ()
Date: September 02, 2016 09:32AM

Nice comments...
What everyone is missing is this...
Westfield has a nucleus of State Champions back..
Defensively Jewell, Petrino, and Free played like studs, and more importantly led like studs.
Offensive side, Johnson was outstanding, as well as Frimpomg, Eckert, and Cockrell.
This was week 1....state champions are NOT coronated on week 1!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's Petrillo, not Petrino. They have a nucleus of a good football team, whether it's state championship caliper we'll find out over the next few weeks. SOCO, Stone Bridge, and Briar Woods will show how good this team really is. WF beat up on a pathetic W&L team, there were what, 42 or 43 kids on the Generals team. I think most area JV teams would pound W&L. WF is very thin at most positions, they have a lot of kids on the roster that have never taken a varsity snap as the previous post mentioned. Their secondary will be very suspect until they prove otherwise, the o-line is decent but not great. Their strength is the font 7 on defense and skill position players on offense.

Posted by: another ENTITLED athlete ()
Date: September 02, 2016 09:42AM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/standford-rape-swimmer-brock-turner-released-1.3745656

3 months for rape? Helps to be an Olympic swimmer!

End sports entitlemnt now!

Date: September 02, 2016 11:19AM

Of course Westfield is the best and all others are posers. This should be the Westfield is great thread.

WINNING

WINNERS

NO WHINING

SOME DIXIE CUPPING AND RULES INFRACTIONS

BUT ALWAYS WINNING - WESTFIELD - WINNING

Date: September 02, 2016 11:44AM

Chelsea striker Diego Costa helped Spain to a 2-0 friendly win over Belgium in Brussels before calling out the Spanish media for their criticism of his performances for the national team.

Costa set up David Silva for Spain's first goal before the Manchester City midfielder went on to score his second goal of the night to cap off a good performance for Julen Lopetegui's men.

Costa was brought on in the 27th minute in place of an injured Alvaro Morata, and reckons it was one of his best games for Spain.

"If I were a Real Madrid or Barca player, you would say I played well," Costa told reporters.

"I did bad games. But even if I don't score, the truth must be said. I missed the goals but they will arrive.

"Media don't lie many times when they say I have not done great things with the national team. But you have to say it as well when I play well."

With just one goal scored in 11 appearances for Spain, Costa refuted criticism that it was another poor outing by his standards against Belgium.

"I think this one has been my best game with the national team. Not like other times when I leave hurt," Costa said.

"It's my bad because sometimes I f--- it, but other times some people make a storm out of a little thing."

Costa is likely to continue on the bench in Spain's World Cup Group G qualifier against Liechtenstein next Tuesday as Morata was only taken off as a precautionary measure with that game in mind.

Posted by: YePWX ()
Date: September 02, 2016 11:46AM

Whyyyyyy??? Wrote:
> Steve2K2 Wrote:
> -----
> > Edison @ Hayfield
> > Hayfield by 21
> >
> > Fairfax @ Herndon
> > Fairfax by 13, new coach with great reputation
> >
> > Langley @ West Potomac
> > West Potomac by 28, speed kills
> >
> > Mount Vernon @ Stuart
> > My. Vernon 2-0... Who would have guessed that
> >
> > W.T. Woodson @ Chantilly
> > Tough call. Woodson is improved and chantilly
> is
> > down. Chantilly still has more talent.
> Chantilly
> > by 3.
> >
> > Washington-Lee @ Westfield
> > Westfield by whatever they want
> >
> > Annandale @ Centreville
> > Centreville by 28. Much improved team from a
> year
> > ago. Maybe a dark horse
> >
> > Eastern @ Falls Church
> > Falls Church, maybe??
> >
> > John Paul the Great @ Thomas Jefferson
> > ??
> >
> > Lee @ Lake Braddock
> > Lake Braddock by whatever they want
> >
> > Marshall @ South Lakes
> > South Lakes by 14
> >
> > Oakton @ Madison
> > Oakton by 7. They always beat Madison
> >
> >
> > South County @ Briar Woods
> > South County wears them out late and wins by 21
> >
> > West Springfield @ Robinson
> > West Springfield by 17. Robinson's running
> back
> > will be out for awhile and they were overrated
> > before that.
>
>
> Why does Chantilly suck so much at football. They
> clearly have talent as shown by their other sports
> teams, and it's not that something is wrong with
> the area because surrounding teams like Westfield,
> Centreville, and South Lakes are doing well.
> Additionally, Chantilly has a higher student
> population than the other schools I just
> mentioned. What seems to be the issue?

All the kids at Chantilly are more concerned with boys like him.
Attachments:
WSH Lax Scholar.jpg

Posted by: VHSL Official ()
Date: September 02, 2016 11:48AM

Chantilly has been relegated to the Liberty District..much like Soccer if you want to move up in Classification you have to Win..Another Storied Program allowed its Leadership to Destroy it From Within..Boots and Saddles to the once Proud Tilly Klan!

Posted by: Terrible news for Dale ()
Date: September 02, 2016 12:12PM

Dale Earnhardt Jr. will miss the rest of the 2016 Sprint Cup season as he recovers from concussion symptoms, it was announced Friday.

Earnhardt has missed the past six races because of a concussion his doctors believe was suffered in a June 12 crash at Michigan International Speedway. He has been undergoing regular evaluations at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Sports Medicine Concussion Program and is being treated for issues related to balance and focusing on objects that are at a distance while moving his head.

"I wish I could return to the No. 88 team this season," Earnhardt, who has not been medically cleared to compete, said in a statement. "To say I'm disappointed doesn't begin to describe how I feel, but I know this is the right thing for my long-term health and career. I'm 100 percent focused on my recovery, and I will continue to follow everything the doctors tell me. They're seeing good progress in my test results, and I'm feeling that progress physically. I plan to be healthy and ready to compete at Daytona in February. I'm working toward that.

"The support from both inside and outside the race team has been overwhelming. Everyone has been so encouraging and positive, from my teammates and sponsors to my family, friends and fans. It's motivating and humbling at the same time."

Hendrick Motorsports said Jeff Gordon, who is again driving for Earnhardt this weekend at Darlington, and Alex Bowman will continue to fill in for the remaining 12 races on the Sprint Cup schedule.

"I know how hard Dale has worked and how frustrating this is for him," team owner Rick Hendrick said in a statement. "He wants to be back, and we want him back, but we want it to be for the long haul. We've had incredible support from everyone involved with the team, including all of our sponsors. They've put Dale's health first every step of the way."

From a competition standpoint, missing the remainder of the season should not hurt Earnhardt. The only way he would have made the Chase for the Sprint Cup is if he came back next week at Richmond and won the race. The NASCAR car specifications also will change for 2017, meaning the cars will drive differently next season than they will the remainder of this year.

Speaking Aug. 5 at Watkins Glen, Earnhardt stressed he wanted to continue racing. His contract with Hendrick runs through 2017.

"As soon as I can get healthy and get confident in how I feel and feel like I can drive a car and be great driving it, then I want to drive," said Earnhardt, who missed two races in 2012 after suffering two concussions in six weeks. "I want to race. I miss the competition. I miss being here.

"I miss the people and, as Rick [Hendrick] likes to say, 'We've got unfinished business.' I'm not ready to stop racing. I'm not ready to quit. It's a slower process. I wish it wasn't."

In addition to Sunday's race, Gordon will be behind the wheel of the No. 88 for races at Richmond (Sept. 10), Dover (Oct. 2) and Martinsville (Oct. 30). Bowman will drive at Chicagoland (Sept. 18), New Hampshire (Sept. 25), Charlotte (Oct. 8), Kansas (Oct. 16), Talladega (Oct. 23), Texas (Nov. 6), Phoenix (Nov. 13) and the series finale at Homestead (Nov. 20).

Earnhardt, who turns 42 in October, has 26 victories -- including two Daytona 500 wins -- in 595 career Sprint Cup starts. He has finished in the top-10 in 42 percent of his races.

The son of seven-time Sprint Cup champion and NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Earnhardt, Earnhardt Jr. has never won a Cup title, with a best finish in the season standings of third in 2003. After missing the Chase for two consecutive seasons, he has enjoyed a career resurgence with five consecutive Chase appearances from 2011 to 2015.

"It's sad to see that he's not going to be able to get back in the car in 2016 because, as a race-car driver, that's where you want to be," said Elliott Sadler, who drives for Earnhardt in the Xfinity Series. "You want to be in your race car competing week in and week out. It's tough not to be able to see him in his famed No. 88 car the rest of the year.

"On the flip side to that ... (I'm) proud of him to take a step back, make sure he gets everything in line that he needs to get in-line from a medical side or feeling side to be 100 percent when the 2107 season starts."

Posted by: JustaCuriousFan ()
Date: September 02, 2016 03:10PM

Hayfield 67 Edison 0

Wow is Hayfield that good or is Edison just that bad?

Posted by: nice start ()
Date: September 02, 2016 06:38PM

Mt. Vernon 2-0......weak opponents, maybe, but they're supposed to be weak, too.
nice job, MV

Posted by: Football alum ()
Date: September 02, 2016 08:44PM

For right now, I would say that Edison is a really bad team. They haven't been a great football team for the past 8 years. Although, Hayfield's onslaught on Edison was pretty remarkable. Putting up nearly 70 points in the opener especially against a rival team is a strong feat for the Hawks (that's the most points Hayfield has scored in school history!). Usually Hayfield/Edison games are much closer than that (with the Hawks always coming out on top). But a better measuring stick for the Hawks would be against Tuscarora next week - that would really tell if the Hawks are legit or not.

Posted by: Cookie & Cream ()
Date: September 02, 2016 08:57PM

Oakton should quit football. If you think this game was ugly, just wait till they play the Concorde powerhouses.

Posted by: Robbie ()
Date: September 02, 2016 09:38PM

Robinson 49 West Springfield 14

Posted by: football observer ()
Date: September 02, 2016 10:32PM

Robbie Wrote:
> Robinson 49 West Springfield 14

Anyone know why Muskett didn't play for West Springfield?

Posted by: The witcher ()
Date: September 02, 2016 10:56PM

football observer Wrote:
> Robbie Wrote:
> -----
> > Robinson 49 West Springfield 14
>
> Anyone know why Muskett didn't play for West
> Springfield?

Muskett got hurt in practice. I might be wrong, but I heard it was an ankle injury.

Posted by: Observations ()
Date: September 03, 2016 11:44AM

Lots of blowouts this week...

Oakton? WTF?

Wakefield? Why does Arlington suck so badly?

South County? Much closer game against Briar Woods than you thought, huh?

Chantilly? Ugh, lost to Woodson. Inexcusable. Putrid.

Centreville? Looks like celebrating the diversity has finally doomed

Annandale.

TC Williams? Why do you suck so badly? Shut out by Stone Bridge?

Hayfield? Pump the brakes folks. Edison is historically bad.

Posted by: Watcher X ()
Date: September 03, 2016 12:31PM

I went to the SC-BW game. A few things about the close score:
1. SC might not be as good as they are hyped to be.
2. BW is just as good SC. In fact, they were better last night they just did not outscore SC because they failed to score on 4 of 5 drives that got inside the SC 31 yard line. Two fumbles, an INT, and a really bad series that began with a wide open receiver dropping a pass on the goal line; the same play resulted in a BW penalty and the next two plays were another BW penalty and a sack to push BW back into their own half of the field. BW left probably 21-24 points on the field whereas SC only left 7 (an INT late in the game at the BW 5 yard line).
3. SC is still full of themselves, from the fans to Pannoni to the team. They had four personal fouls in the game, two in the first 6 minutes when the game got chippy almost immediately. Pannoni had to be told to get off the field in one instance, The fans were a bit rude and some had no idea what was going on but were yelling anyway when the game got tense and exciting in the last 6-7 minutes.

Posted by: Game Of The Year ()
Date: September 03, 2016 12:56PM

The regular season game of the year will be next Friday, SOCO vs Westfield! Any predictions? It could go either way in my opinion as both teams are equally talented, however, I think Westfield is coached better so I'll give them an edge in this matchup. It will be high scoring unlike last years week 2 matchup.

Posted by: Freedom Goon ()
Date: September 03, 2016 01:14PM

Damn what happened to Oakton?

Posted by: Chocolate Chip ()
Date: September 03, 2016 01:25PM

Freedom Goon Wrote:
> Damn what happened to Oakton?

South Lakes stole all their athletes.

Posted by: 6A-5A ()
Date: September 03, 2016 01:25PM

Here is what is Known, Briar Woods has the Talent to Beat anyone this Year, and SoCo with their lack of Discipline and Poor Coaching has the ability to beat themselves any Game.

Date: September 03, 2016 02:18PM

Yes there are two things that are known - Pannoni and the SOCO boys are overrated and Westfield is the best, will rule their matchup, will rule the rest of the season, and deserves as a school to go down amongst the best of all time.

Winning

Date: September 03, 2016 02:32PM

Agreed, Westfield is simply the class of the Northern Region. Too good for everyone else.

Posted by: Football Friday ()
Date: September 03, 2016 03:19PM

Westfield is not healthy and Does not have the Athletic depth to compete with South County Yet...Give it Time we have seen this story play out Before...SoCo can win by 35 next Week no big Deal

Date: September 03, 2016 03:47PM

Blashpemer, non believer, crazy person. Do not question Westfield, we are above criticism, we ARE the chosen ones. Winning!

Posted by: yuz craze ()
Date: September 03, 2016 05:16PM

Time for the pompous Westfield fans on this site to get theirs. It is coming this season, I guarantee.

Posted by: Soccer Rulz ()
Date: September 03, 2016 05:34PM

^^^^^ So Says the Oakton Homer...Warhawk!

Posted by: pUNyG ()
Date: September 03, 2016 09:26PM

yuz craze Wrote:
> Time for the pompous Westfield fans on this site
> to get theirs. It is coming this season, I
> guarantee.

Please... those are the posts of Westfield-hating trolls. In fact, you might be the troll trolling your original trolling.

Posted by: check the reality ()
Date: September 03, 2016 10:14PM

I did not know that there was such a Westfield obsessed group on this site. Whats up with that?

Posted by: Obsession ()
Date: September 03, 2016 10:37PM

Haters gonna Hate....sure Would be nice if South County, Lake Braddock, could win the big one...Then the Trolls could quit obsessing with Westfield it is Pathetic how so many on here are obsessed with Them..

Posted by: Wake Alum ()
Date: September 03, 2016 10:54PM

What happened to my boys from Wakefield? They got dusted pretty good. Thought they were supposed to be good this year!
And, did anyone go to Chantilly-Woodson game? Is Chantilly really bad or is Woodson improved? Combination of both maybe?

Posted by: eFvYJ ()
Date: September 03, 2016 10:58PM

Watcher X Wrote:
> 2. BW is just as good SC. In fact, they were
> better last night

^^^^^
Assertion.

> they just did not outscore SC
> because they failed to score on 4 of 5 drives that
> got inside the SC 31 yard line. Two fumbles, an
> INT, and a really bad series that began with a
> wide open receiver dropping a pass on the goal
> line; the same play resulted in a BW penalty and
> the next two plays were another BW penalty and a
> sack to push BW back into their own half of the
> field. BW left probably 21-24 points on the field
> whereas SC only left 7 (an INT late in the game at
> the BW 5 yard line).

^^^^^^
Lists about 6-7 reasons that demonstrate BW was actually NOT the better team.

????

Anyway, yeah, Pannoni, Haddock and Thompson might be great coaches but they are whining assholes on the sidelines.

Date: September 03, 2016 11:47PM

Wake Alum Wrote:
> What happened to my boys from Wakefield? They got
> dusted pretty good. Thought they were supposed to
> be good this year!
> And, did anyone go to Chantilly-Woodson game? Is
> Chantilly really bad or is Woodson improved?
> Combination of both maybe?

I saw Woodson scrimmage against South Lakes, and to me, Woodson looked like the better team. I'd say that result is mostly a function of Woodson being improved. The most surprising thing to me about that game was the low score. Woodson looks like they have some firepower on offense, so I am surprised that they only scored 17. Chantilly may be a bit down this year, as they lost a fair amount of talent from last year's senior class.

If you are a Wakefield fan, I think you have a good chance to bounce back next week.

Posted by: Question About SL ()
Date: September 04, 2016 12:41AM

Hows South Lakes gonna look this year? 8 regular season wins possible?

Posted by: Watcher X ()
Date: September 04, 2016 09:12AM

You need to consider the game in its entire context. BW played better and had more opportunities to score, but their TOs were in a much more important part of the field. Consider this as well:
Penalties: SC 21, BW 11
Personal fouls: SC 4, BW 1

You are cherry picking one aspect of the game. Your answer is the equivalent of analyzing the following: The stock market gained a total of 300 points on Mon-Tue this week, but lost a total of 25 points on Wed-Fri. Therefore, the market did not perform well this week because it lost on 3 of 5 days.

Posted by: Woodson Dad ()
Date: September 04, 2016 09:28AM

Woodson is a much improved football team from a year ago. Are they good enough to beat Robinson this week? After watching the past two weeks I think Woodson has a great shot.

Posted by: w4CFC ()
Date: September 04, 2016 11:40AM

Watcher X Wrote:

> You are cherry picking one aspect of the game.
> Your answer is the equivalent of analyzing the
> following: The stock market gained a total of 300
> points on Mon-Tue this week, but lost a total of
> 25 points on Wed-Fri. Therefore, the market did
> not perform well this week because it lost on 3 of
> 5 days.

Your answer is the equivalent of saying the stock market gained 25 points each day Monday-Thursday, but lost 105 on Friday. But since it gained points 4 out of 5 days it was a good week.

Posted by: 703 man ()
Date: September 04, 2016 06:26PM

Hell Yeah I expect Woodson to Massacre the rams after what I saw them do to Chantilly

Posted by: robbie ()
Date: September 04, 2016 07:45PM

hahahah.... keep dreaming

Posted by: woodson mom ()
Date: September 04, 2016 08:45PM

Woodson Moms know better, Robinson by 28, even Herndon will beat Chantilly this year..Relax..Wolfson will win 5.

Posted by: NR fan ()
Date: September 04, 2016 10:23PM

Woodson Dad Wrote:
> Woodson is a much improved football team from a
> year ago. Are they good enough to beat Robinson
> this week? After watching the past two weeks I
> think Woodson has a great shot.

I don't see woodson beating Robinson. They'll finish 5-5, which is an improvement for them. They'll get wins against Chantilly, Fairfax, Annandale, Mt. Vernon, and TCW. West Springfield is a toss up.

Posted by: WSHS Fan ()
Date: September 04, 2016 10:53PM

Is Robinson that good or is West Springfield terrible? I heard Robinson scored touchdowns on their first 7 possessions. I hope it's that Robinson is very good or we could be in for a long season.

Posted by: Predicition ()
Date: September 05, 2016 03:17PM

Westfield beats SOCO 42-21, or loses 42-28.

Posted by: tchdW ()
Date: September 05, 2016 04:01PM

Predicition Wrote:
> Westfield beats SOCO 42-21, or loses 42-28.

I think South County will win this one - probably in the neighborhood of a 35-24 score.

Posted by: Edison ()
Date: September 05, 2016 05:04PM

Edison is historically bad, even worse than under Randolph. The game against West Potomac will be a massacre.

Posted by: novafootballfan ()
Date: September 05, 2016 08:16PM

novafootballfan Wrote:
> no spread but I will pick winners.

> Hayfield , Hayfield 67 - Edison 0
> Fairfax, Herndon 35 - Fairfax 20
> West Potomac, West Potomac 41 - Langley 12
> Mount Vernon, Mount Vernon 30 - Stuart 7
> W.T. Woodson, Woodson 17 - Chantilly 7
> Westfield, Westfield 45 - Washington-Lee 0
> Centreville, Centreville 42 - Annandale 0
> Falls Church, Eastern 24 - Falls Church 19
> John Paul the Great, John Paul the Great 39 - Thomas Jefferson 9
> Lake Braddock, Lake Braddock 63 - Lee 18
> South Lakes, South Lakes 49 - Marshall 8
> Oakton, Madison 33 - Oakton 10
> South County, South County 27 - Briar Woods 23
> Robinson, Robinson 49 - West Springfield 14

Posted by: Bulldoggie ()
Date: September 06, 2016 07:53AM

You know I know we all know.....

It is all about Westfield.

WINNING

Posted by: Watcher X is a bold faced liar ()
Date: September 06, 2016 08:01AM

SoCo did have a lot of penalties but not one of them was a personal foul. Briar woods had 1 personal foul. SoCo run defense was the reason Briar Woods did not score on most of their red zone chances. Briar Woods had about 2.5 yards per carry.

When people are biased they don't see clearly things like SoCo had over 520 yards total offense despite 190 yards in penalties and a big 40 yard TD called back on OL player 2 yards down field. To say Briar Woods outplayed South County is a big stretch. Being more objective, both of these teams looked pretty good to me. I live in Loudoun and have seen both Briar Woods games this year, Both BW opponents Tusky and SoCo have had over 20 penalties. BW seems to have a little bit of a home ref advantage but that seems normal in Nova.

Posted by: d6T4p ()
Date: September 06, 2016 08:15AM

Watcher X is a bold faced liar Wrote:
> SoCo did have a lot of penalties but not one of
> them was a personal foul. Briar woods had 1
> personal foul. SoCo run defense was the reason
> Briar Woods did not score on most of their red
> zone chances. Briar Woods had about 2.5 yards per
> carry.
>
> When people are biased they don't see clearly
> things like SoCo had over 520 yards total offense
> despite 190 yards in penalties and a big 40 yard
> TD called back on OL player 2 yards down field.
> To say Briar Woods outplayed South County is a big
> stretch. Being more objective, both of these teams
> looked pretty good to me. I live in Loudoun and
> have seen both Briar Woods games this year, Both
> BW opponents Tusky and SoCo have had over 20
> penalties. BW seems to have a little bit of a home
> ref advantage but that seems normal in Nova.

Look again. SC did have personal foul penalties. One was in the initial scrum that happened just minutes into the game (offsetting with a similar BW PF) and another was late in the game on the BW INT returned to the 4 yard line when the SC player horsecollared the runner-yes, that is a PF. And BW did outplay SC, but not by a lot, because BW had far more chances to score. Interestingly, you don't provide the total yards for BW, which would be good to know for comparison.

The only absolutely true things you said was that BW only had 1 PF (correct) and that both teams were quite good. However, I recently learned two key SC players were out with minor injuries, including the QB, so I would expect SC can perform a bit better in their upcoming games.

And get off the home cooking by the referees bandwagon. Refs just don't do that. Heck, they cannot even work a game where they have ties, like kids at the school, alma mater, etc.

Posted by: bulldoggie ()
Date: September 06, 2016 08:22AM

You are missing the point, it is all about Westfield!

Winning

Posted by: Slow down ()
Date: September 06, 2016 08:32AM

Westfield is always good, but before you crown them this year just remember a team that won 2 games in the last 2 seasons, Mount Vernon also beat the brakes off Washington Lee in week 1 scoring 44. Westfield is good but slow down just a little. They are who we thought they were.

Date: September 06, 2016 09:41AM

Westfield is always good, but before you crown them this year just remember a team that won 2 games in the last 2 seasons, Mount Vernon also beat the brakes off Washington Lee in week 1 scoring 44. Westfield is good but slow down just a little. They are who we thought they were.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The idiot who keeps posting the "All about Westfield" and "Winning" posts is the same person, He's used Bulldog Booster, Bulldog Fan, Bulldoggie, and a number of other names but it's the same person. Best to just not respond to any of his posts and maybe he'll go away.You are correct, Westfield is always solid, one of the most successful program in NOVA since they opened. No one except the above mentioned troll is crowning them anything. They have a quality team again this year, offense is better than last year, defense slightly less stellar but still very good. They play a tough schedule this year, SOCO, Stone Bridge, Briar Woods, and Robinson will be their true tests. They should be back in the post season but to say they'll go undefeated is a stretch. They've got a target on them more so this year since they are the defending state champions.

Posted by: The Truth Hurts WF ()
Date: September 06, 2016 10:14AM

Let's get things straight here. Soco had two personal fouls, and they didn't play a dirty game at all. Soco had 5 starters out, two on offense and three on defense, so they were missing a ton of talent. Had a ton of big plays called back (including a TD), had 21 penalties, and five turnovers. The fact that they even won was truly amazing and speaks volumes about their character. Most teams would of given up, and been okay with the loss.

With potentially four of the five starters back this week, it should be a different team. I like Soco early, but they need to be more discipline and not allow the refs to be a part of the game. BW's is a good team, but Soco and the refs made them a lot better.

d6T4p Wrote:
> Watcher X is a bold faced liar Wrote:
> -----
> > SoCo did have a lot of penalties but not one of
> > them was a personal foul. Briar woods had 1
> > personal foul. SoCo run defense was the reason
> > Briar Woods did not score on most of their red
> > zone chances. Briar Woods had about 2.5 yards
> per
> > carry.
> >
> > When people are biased they don't see clearly
> > things like SoCo had over 520 yards total
> offense
> > despite 190 yards in penalties and a big 40
> yard
> > TD called back on OL player 2 yards down field.
>
> > To say Briar Woods outplayed South County is a
> big
> > stretch. Being more objective, both of these
> teams
> > looked pretty good to me. I live in Loudoun and
> > have seen both Briar Woods games this year,
> Both
> > BW opponents Tusky and SoCo have had over 20
> > penalties. BW seems to have a little bit of a
> home
> > ref advantage but that seems normal in Nova.
>
> Look again. SC did have personal foul penalties.
> One was in the initial scrum that happened just
> minutes into the game (offsetting with a similar
> BW PF) and another was late in the game on the BW
> INT returned to the 4 yard line when the SC player
> horsecollared the runner-yes, that is a PF. And BW
> did outplay SC, but not by a lot, because BW had
> far more chances to score. Interestingly, you
> don't provide the total yards for BW, which would
> be good to know for comparison.
>
> The only absolutely true things you said was that
> BW only had 1 PF (correct) and that both teams
> were quite good. However, I recently learned two
> key SC players were out with minor injuries,
> including the QB, so I would expect SC can perform
> a bit better in their upcoming games.
>
> And get off the home cooking by the referees
> bandwagon. Refs just don't do that. Heck, they
> cannot even work a game where they have ties, like
> kids at the school, alma mater, etc.

Posted by: West i.e. Field ()
Date: September 06, 2016 12:26PM

I agree Westfield is the best team around here there's no doubt about that

Date: September 06, 2016 12:31PM

Hey the previous poster is not the real Bulldog Booster I am.... Friends and fellow football fans don't let this weirdo confuse you I am bulldog booster and Westfield really is the best team of all time

Posted by: 6A Ranker of Football ()
Date: September 06, 2016 02:49PM

6A North Top 10

1. Westfield
2. South County
3. Robinson
4. Lake Braddock
5. Battlefield
6. Centreville
7. South Lakes
8. Madison
9. West Potomac
10. West Springfield

Date: September 06, 2016 04:46PM

Real Bulldog Booster here, not the fake one. I think this list is correct but I think that Westfield is light years ahead of the rest of the teams in the region. Must be the blessing that our deity has bestowed upon us.

Posted by: Not Fake Bulldog Booster ()
Date: September 06, 2016 05:34PM

No that guy is the fake one but I also think that Westfield is head and shoulders above the competition in the NR. Great team and best program ever!

Date: September 06, 2016 05:54PM

Well at least we agree to something - Westfield is the best.....winning

Posted by: Rams Rule! ()
Date: September 06, 2016 06:15PM

Should be interesting this week for the Westfield secondary. Revenge will be on the minds of the SC folks. I imagine they are a little pissed from getting absolutely embarrassed in the regional final last year. From my limited time watching SC, they appear undisciplined and love to run their mouths. Although Westfield is usually disciplined, their QB last week got a 15YD unsportsmanlike penalty, which rarely happens at Westfild. If SC keeps there heads my money is on SC by 14. Westfield is overrated. Rams win Northern Region this year.

Posted by: NR fan ()
Date: September 06, 2016 06:18PM

6A Ranker of Football Wrote:
> 6A North Top 10
>
> 1. Westfield
> 2. South County
> 3. Robinson
> 4. Lake Braddock
> 5. Battlefield
> 6. Centreville
> 7. South Lakes
> 8. Madison
> 9. West Potomac
> 10. West Springfield

I might put Hayfield at #10 rather than West Springfield, but other than that, I think this is a pretty good list.

Anyone care to do a 6A bottom ten?

Date: September 06, 2016 06:28PM

Rams Rule! Wrote:
> Should be interesting this week for the Westfield
> secondary. Revenge will be on the minds of the SC
> folks. I imagine they are a little pissed from
> getting absolutely embarrassed in the regional
> final last year. From my limited time watching SC,
> they appear undisciplined and love to run their
> mouths. Although Westfield is usually disciplined,
> their QB last week got a 15YD unsportsmanlike
> penalty, which rarely happens at Westfild. If SC
> keeps there heads my money is on SC by 14.
> Westfield is overrated. Rams win Northern Region
> this year.

I love how Westfield returns just as much if not more talent than SOCO and had better Freshmen and JV programs but everyone thinks they'll lose by atleast 2 TDs. Unreal. I respect your Robinson prediction but you have no clear argument for why you picked SOCO. You just said something negative about them and stated that if they didn't do that than they would win by 2 TDs. Would I be surprised if SOCO won? No. But no team gets disrespected on these forums as much as Westfield. And as for those who can't tell the difference between the trolls and the real fans, use some common sense, it's not that hard to spot the troll.

Posted by: 6A Ranker of Football ()
Date: September 06, 2016 07:14PM

NR fan Wrote:
> 6A Ranker of Football Wrote:
> -----
> > 6A North Top 10
> >
> > 1. Westfield
> > 2. South County
> > 3. Robinson
> > 4. Lake Braddock
> > 5. Battlefield
> > 6. Centreville
> > 7. South Lakes
> > 8. Madison
> > 9. West Potomac
> > 10. West Springfield
>
> I might put Hayfield at #10 rather than West
> Springfield, but other than that, I think this is
> a pretty good list.

I was going to wait one more week before I put Hayfield in the top 10. But they very well may belong there. Wanna see how they fare vs Tuscarora.

Date: September 06, 2016 08:05PM

In fact I cannot believe how much you all listen to these trolls. Don't let them dissuade you from the reality that Westfield is the top team in the NR, maybe in the universe.

Pages: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 28

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.