HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I-495 Outer Loop Between Tysons and I-66 Q/Complaints
Posted by: Hudlander ()
Date: November 28, 2015 02:52PM

Everytime I drive the Outer Loop from Tysons/MD to I-66...I'm struck by how as the Outer Loop approaches DTR/267...it is awesomely designed with more than enough through lanes, medians, and sightlines to accomodate the weaving traffic.

Just as horribly though is the Outer Loop right after the last Tyson's exit before I-66 (Route 7 I believe).
Just as well done the Outer Loop to DTR/267 was built, the Route 7 to I-66 section is unacceptable.
You have Two lanes from Rt 7 merging with no auxillory/ramp to ramp connection. Instead, the two merging lanes vanish for maybe .5 of mile before we get a 5th lane to assist with traffic exiting to I-66.

This sub-standard design is compounded by having no median space between I-495 local/express. I just do not understand why VDOT did such a half assed measure. I-66 is a huge interchange...it needs to have a very wide Right of Way on the Beltway as the Beltway has just north of DTR/267.
Moreover there is NO REASON WHY Route 7 should merge and the Outer Loop be stuck at just 4 lanes.
There should be 5 if not 6 lanes from Tysons to I-66.

I do not understand, there is clearly enough room to squeeze one more lane, if not two+median space...there is no more obstruction south of Tysons than just north. So my questions:

1) WTF is it this way?
2) Are there ANY plans, maybe with I-66, to improve?
3) Conspiracy theory...I bet they did this DELIBERATELY to create congestion and force people to pay and take the HOT lanes. Either that, or they are lazy/stupid or all the above.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I-495 Outer Loop Between Tysons and I-66 Q/Complaints
Posted by: hL7vY ()
Date: November 28, 2015 03:40PM

BECAUSE THERE DIDNT USED TO BE THE ENTIRE POPULATION OF NEW YORK AND NEW JERSEY TRANSPLANTS JOBLESS LOSERS CLOGGING UP OUR DAMN ROADS TRYING TO GET TO THEIR FUCKING TOWNHOUSES IN GAINESVILLE THATS WHY. I CANT STAND PEOPLE WHO MOVE HERE THEN COMPLAIN ABOUT THE TRAFFIC. FIX THE TRAFFIC - GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM.

Posted by: Send'emAllBack ()
Date: November 28, 2015 03:42PM

Over a million illegal immigrants in the DC area. Vote for Trump!

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: November 28, 2015 11:48PM

They may be reserving space for tolls.

Posted by: vJNEM ()
Date: November 29, 2015 01:49AM

The Outer Loop between Tysons and I66 is NOTHING compared to the Inner Loop Between Rt 123 and River Road/I270 Split!! Rt123 to River Road/I270 Split only works properly about 4-6 hours a day and usually it is not for a continuous 4-6 hours a day.

Stupid brainless VDOT traffic Engineers and the fact that I66 is one of the worst congested roads in the area, much less the entire country.

I typically stay in the far Left non HOV lane and go to Rt 50 and then parallel I66 when I need to go anywhere out that direction.

I66 sucks as well, I usually just go inside the Beltway and get off on Rt 7 and jump on Haycock or Idlewood Road.

Gotta know you alternate routes in the are to get anywhere.

Posted by: e6K9u ()
Date: November 29, 2015 06:03AM

vJNEM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Outer Loop between Tysons and I66 is NOTHING
> compared to the Inner Loop Between Rt 123 and
> River Road/I270 Split!! Rt123 to River Road/I270
> Split only works properly about 4-6 hours a day
> and usually it is not for a continuous 4-6 hours a
> day.

This is true. I have the reverse commute in the afternoons (from Bethesda to I-66, via 495) and the traffic coming north on the inner loop is basically a parking lot for the whole stretch from Tysons to at least River Road. Its especially bad between the dulles toll road and the american legion bridge. I dont know how anyone can do that commute every day.

Posted by: Sprawl and Crawl ()
Date: November 29, 2015 11:06AM

The NB approach to I-66 and then from the I-66 offramp to Route 7 Tysons was expanded as part of the Express Lanes project. That was one of the ancilliary benefits that came with the project which most people don't realize.

The SB exits did not need to adjust to the HOT lanes and thus weren't included in the project. There are also space constraints in some of those areas although I suspect VDOT could find room if it wanted to spend the money.

And the posters above are right - yes the Beltway sucks but the entire Virginia stretch now excluding the part from 267 to the Maryland line runs better than almost everything in Maryland.

The portion of 495 E across the Legion river to the 270 split is a nightmare. Then 495 squeezes to 3 and eventually 2 (!) lanes at Wisconsin Avenue before widening out again.

By comparison Virginia's portion of 495 is heavenly.

Posted by: HYHuJ ()
Date: November 29, 2015 11:53AM

This crap show will never improve until they totally redo all the traffic patterns.

Rt 267 where is merges onto I495 South needs to be directed into the left lanes somehow.

This will free up all the crisscross traffic attempting to exit 495 South onto Rt123.

Then access to the Tysons 2 side of things need to happen before Rt 123 from I495 as to eliminate the crisscross traffic merging from Rt 123 into Tysons 2 at Tysons Blvd and International Drive.

Then somehow the people leaving Tysons 2 on Tysons Blvd in the afternoon need direct access to I495 South. The 3 Left Turn Lanes from Tysons Blvd is a DISASTER. All of Rt123 N is totally a log jam. Nobody can easily leave the Tysons 1 side on Shop Tysons Blvd.

AND hundreds of thousands of commercial building square footage is not even built, much less occupied at this point. Give it another 5 years and you will not be able to get between the I270 split in MD and I66 on the Beltway in either direction.

Rt 7 East between Rt 123 and the Beltway is another full time parking lot, not so back going Westbound for some reason.

So much for the 10th largest business district in the country being able to move around. This is the worst 5 square miles in the country.

Posted by: FXDEd ()
Date: November 29, 2015 12:59PM

So simple. Why not? Are they retarded? Maybe they are waiting until it hurts so bad, we'll accept anything - like a toll ramp like they put on LEE Hwy; and why would they put it there before building access for Tysons II?! I can't imagine they're stupid. May it's more bureaucracy and politics getting in the way of common sense.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.