HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Gun questions
Posted by: Uncle Sammy ()
Date: November 16, 2015 03:04PM

Shit, someone just posted something about gun sales as I was typing this novel...anyway...
Ok, so a little background. I believe in our constitution and our right to bear arms. I have never owned a gun nor would I have ever imagined I would contemplate owning one. My only experiences with guns are the few times I’ve gone to ranges or skeet shooting as a kid in PA. Both my wife and I have also been against having a gun in our house especially with a kid, however, times are changing. In light of Paris this weekend, and other things going on in the world, be it a school shootings, theater shootings, ISIS threats, expansion of metro, etc., I’m starting to think maybe I should invest in something more than my trusted 5 iron under my bed. I’m also always hearing shit about government making it harder to obtain a gun, and while I’m not overly concerned about that, maybe it’s better to be safe than sorry in case they do change the laws or the time it takes to get one if I decide to at a later point.
So for all you gun nuts out there, I need a bit of help, especially considering these questions are probably pretty stupid (I’m sure I’ll get my fair share of troll responses). Anyway, it’s my understanding that it’s a pretty easy process. I go to a gun store (recommendations would be great here too, I live in Reston), pick out what I want (handgun), they run a background check on me, I pay some fee, and I walk out (with or without the gun, not sure how long the background check takes). But here is where I get confused. Do I have to get a concealed permit? Not planning on carrying it on my person. Of course, if they do change laws, maybe I should just go ahead and get concealed permit now anyway. How do I travel with it without a permit (i.e. practice range, or taking it to office (business owner))? Where would you recommend handling guns to figure out what I’m looking for (not interested in gun shows)? Where could I take classes so I can properly educate myself about handling and using the gun?
I am fully aware that FFXU is not the best place to ask legitimate questions and expect legitimate answers, but I still have a little hope! I actually have a bit more hope here than asking some of my bat shit crazy gun wielding “friends”.
Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gun questions
Posted by: Un biased opinion ()
Date: November 16, 2015 03:11PM

Buy a shotgun. Safer for the family if you use it for home self-defense.
Joe Biden was correct.

Posted by: advicer in chief ()
Date: November 16, 2015 03:12PM

Uncle Sammy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shit, someone just posted something about gun
> sales as I was typing this novel...anyway...
> Ok, so a little background. I believe in our
> constitution and our right to bear arms. I have
> never owned a gun nor would I have ever imagined I
> would contemplate owning one. My only experiences
> with guns are the few times I’ve gone to ranges
> or skeet shooting as a kid in PA. Both my wife and
> I have also been against having a gun in our house
> especially with a kid, however, times are
> changing. In light of Paris this weekend, and
> other things going on in the world, be it a school
> shootings, theater shootings, ISIS threats,
> expansion of metro, etc., I’m starting to think
> maybe I should invest in something more than my
> trusted 5 iron under my bed. I’m also always
> hearing shit about government making it harder to
> obtain a gun, and while I’m not overly concerned
> about that, maybe it’s better to be safe than
> sorry in case they do change the laws or the time
> it takes to get one if I decide to at a later
> point.
> So for all you gun nuts out there, I need a bit of
> help, especially considering these questions are
> probably pretty stupid (I’m sure I’ll get my
> fair share of troll responses). Anyway, it’s my
> understanding that it’s a pretty easy process. I
> go to a gun store (recommendations would be great
> here too, I live in Reston), pick out what I want
> (handgun), they run a background check on me, I
> pay some fee, and I walk out (with or without the
> gun, not sure how long the background check
> takes). But here is where I get confused. Do I
> have to get a concealed permit? Not planning on
> carrying it on my person. Of course, if they do
> change laws, maybe I should just go ahead and get
> concealed permit now anyway. How do I travel with
> it without a permit (i.e. practice range, or
> taking it to office (business owner))? Where would
> you recommend handling guns to figure out what
> I’m looking for (not interested in gun shows)?
> Where could I take classes so I can properly
> educate myself about handling and using the gun?
> I am fully aware that FFXU is not the best place
> to ask legitimate questions and expect legitimate
> answers, but I still have a little hope! I
> actually have a bit more hope here than asking
> some of my bat shit crazy gun wielding
> “friends”.
> Thanks in advance.

VA Arms in Manassas is a great gun store. Take your drivers license and registration. Make sure the address is current and the same on both. You fill out 2 forms. They run a background check. You pay for your gun, ammo, and small fee for background check. You leave.

Silver Eagle Group in Ashburn does classes for general and concealed carry.

If you're going to a range, you can have your gun with you. I don't know specifics of the law. I just put my guns in the trunk when going to the range. If a cop stops you and happens to ask if you have any weapons (unlikely), just say you're on your way to the range and have a gun in the trunk. If someone else knows more specific rules, chime in.

Have fun. Be safe.

Posted by: AnswerMan ()
Date: November 16, 2015 03:15PM

Uncle Sammy Wrote:
> Do I have to get a concealed permit?

No.

> How do I travel with
> it without a permit (i.e. practice range, or
> taking it to office (business owner))?

You just need to secure it in a compartment or container.

> Where would
> you recommend handling guns to figure out what
> I’m looking for (not interested in gun shows)?

Why not gun shows? Lots of options and knowledgeable people. Go to a local range or FFL.

> Where could I take classes so I can properly
> educate myself about handling and using the gun?

NRA

Posted by: advicer in chief ()
Date: November 16, 2015 03:18PM

AnswerMan Wrote:
> Uncle Sammy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Do I have to get a concealed permit?
>
> No.
>
> > How do I travel with
> > it without a permit (i.e. practice range, or
> > taking it to office (business owner))?
>
> You just need to secure it in a compartment or
> container.
>
> > Where would
> > you recommend handling guns to figure out what
> > I’m looking for (not interested in gun
> shows)?
>
> Why not gun shows? Lots of options and
> knowledgeable people. Go to a local range or
> FFL.
>
> > Where could I take classes so I can properly
> > educate myself about handling and using the
> gun?
>
> NRA

Yeah, I forgot there are instructors woking through the NRA. Good advice. That is probably the safest range around. They are pretty strict.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: November 16, 2015 03:35PM

Yeah, go to VA Arms in Manassas. They are the best firearms store in all of Virginia.

Posted by: heymack ()
Date: November 16, 2015 03:36PM

Isn't Virginia open carry? I believe you can just have your gun out in the open on your seat when you are driving....I don't think you need to store it in your trunk.

Posted by: lwdruaxhgujec ()
Date: November 16, 2015 04:04PM

heymack Wrote:
> Isn't Virginia open carry? I believe you can just
> have your gun out in the open on your seat when
> you are driving....I don't think you need to store
> it in your trunk.

Yeah, but I wouldn't stir the pot. Cops and general public aren't big fans of guns in plain sight, for good reason.

Date: November 16, 2015 04:12PM

Thank you so much for your responses!
As for gun shows, I guess I just have my head up my ass because of some preconceived stereotypes. You are probably correct though, guess they really would know what they are talking about.
Thanks again…

Posted by: buying a pea shooter ()
Date: November 16, 2015 04:14PM

I'd recommend any (Silver Eagle Group was mentioned already) certified instructor training. The NRA HQ in FFX also has a ton of stuff available.

Then rent different types of guns. Be sure to take the wife to the class with you. In addition, there are a lot of quick access safes available for home safety. Do a check on amazon and you will see.

You only need a conceal carry permit if you plan to carry concealed on a regular basis. I would not recommend open carry, because of the ignorant people in this area. That is why I personally CC. The process costs a little bit of time and $, but once you get the CC permit it's good for 5 years.

Since I am permitted to CC, I can put my firearms wherever I want in the vehicle. In your case, the other advise of put it in the trunk or somewhere inaccessible from the drivers seat (unloaded, in a carry case) should be fine.

For pistols, if you are looking for something for your wife to use as well, I would recommend 9mm. There is nothing wrong with 40 or 45, but compared to 9mm they tend to have more recoil. I would recommend something about the size of a glock 19, and work from there.

Stay away from cheap guns (keltec) and stick to manufacturers who are known for decent quality. Sig sauer, Springfield, glock, beretta, hk, kahr, or smith & wesson to name a few. I am not a shotgun expert, but if I were to get one I would think mossberg or remington. Basically, you get what you pay for. For cheap range ammo, I use http://ammoseek.com/ or walmart for the best band for the buck. I have cheap range stuff and higher quality hollow point for when I carry...though it is good to shoot the quality stuff from time to time.

Actually buying a firearm for yourself...I would not recommend nova arms in herndon or in mclean (the contested one) simply because of the price gouge. I have seen better deals at silver eagle (ashburn, has rentals), blue ridge arsenal (chantilly, has rentals), Loudoun Guns (leesburg), and the one previously mentioned in Manassass.

In addition, there are a ton of websites and youtube 'gun 101' videos out there that are helpful.

Date: November 16, 2015 04:15PM

heymack Wrote:
> Isn't Virginia open carry? I believe you can just
> have your gun out in the open on your seat when
> you are driving....I don't think you need to store
> it in your trunk.

Yes, you can have it on your seat or on your dashboard.

Posted by: buying a pea shooter ()
Date: November 16, 2015 04:18PM

Lastly, I forgot gun shows. They are great if you know exactly what you are looking for and know the local gun store retail value. You can save some $ that way. Ammo can/cannot be a good deal-that depends. I would avoid buying 'reloaded' ammo, because I had a lot of problems with some I got at the gun show a few years back. In all honesty, when I go to a gun show. I just look around and get stuff that are not guns or ammo...like a swiss army knife from a dude who would engrave it for you on site.

Posted by: AnswerMan ()
Date: November 16, 2015 04:40PM

eesh Wrote:
> heymack Wrote:
> -----
> > Isn't Virginia open carry? I believe you can
> just
> > have your gun out in the open on your seat when
> > you are driving....I don't think you need to
> store
> > it in your trunk.
>
>
>
>
> Yes, you can have it on your seat or on your
> dashboard.

That is incorrect information. BE RESPONSIBLE!

As of July 1, 2010, a concealed handgun permit is not necessary when carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel. The term “secured” as used does not require the compartment to be locked. OAG opinion 11-111.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Transporting.shtm

http://www.pilotonline.com/news/government/politics/virginia/gov-mcauliffe-uses-first-veto-on-guns-in-cars-bill/article_231504f8-7404-51aa-a40f-5f6fd03dc824.html

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter7/section18.2-308/

10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel

Posted by: heymack ()
Date: November 16, 2015 04:58PM

Ok. So the law is that I can carry on my belt in the open without a permit but once in a car I have to put it in my glove compartment or center console. So you are allowed to conceal without a permit while driving?

AnswerMan Wrote:
> eesh Wrote:
> -----
> > heymack Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Isn't Virginia open carry? I believe you can
> > just
> > > have your gun out in the open on your seat
> when
> > > you are driving....I don't think you need to
> > store
> > > it in your trunk.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Yes, you can have it on your seat or on your
> > dashboard.
>
>
> That is incorrect information. BE RESPONSIBLE!
>
> As of July 1, 2010, a concealed handgun permit is
> not necessary when carrying a handgun while in a
> personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such
> handgun is secured in a container or compartment
> in the vehicle or vessel. The term “secured”
> as used does not require the compartment to be
> locked. OAG opinion 11-111.
>
> http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Transporting.s
> htm
>
> http://www.pilotonline.com/news/government/politic
> s/virginia/gov-mcauliffe-uses-first-veto-on-guns-i
> n-cars-bill/article_231504f8-7404-51aa-a40f-5f6fd0
> 3dc824.html
>
> http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapt
> er7/section18.2-308/
>
> 10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm
> and is carrying a handgun while in a personal,
> private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun
> is secured in a container or compartment in the
> vehicle or vessel

Date: November 16, 2015 05:01PM

No, that's if you want to conceal it.

You can open carry on your seat or dashboard. Believe me, I've had plenty of traffic stops while open carrying and never had a problem with law enforcement.

Posted by: Nice to see another future owner ()
Date: November 16, 2015 10:04PM

What you like will be a personal preference.

Handgun, shotgun, or rifle. What is best for you and your wife is a preference.

Truthfully you can't go wrong if you own at least one of each.

If you both can handle handguns many people recommend a nice 9mm due to availability and versatility. A 9mm is a solid choice. First gun? Larger/ longer frame guns are usually easier to control than the micro concealment types. Think about a Glock 17 or 19 versus a Glock 26 for reference. Some advise pistols with a hammer like a Sig Sauer P226 versus any hammerless like Glock or Kahr.

Shotgun is a bit of a different story. You will likely need to work your way up to proper defense rounds like the all time favorite 00 buck. A nice Remington 870 with defense barrel for home and long barrel for skeet practice.

Riffle, a nice AR-15 will be all you ever need for any situation if it is defensive. Priced from $800 on up it will be up to you to decide. They are easy to maintain and are hard to beat for ease of use.

Training available at the NRA or most any range. All sellers will be happy to assist you in your questions and needs.

Above all!! Get trained, be safe, and most importantly-follow the law. Most firearm owners will be more than happy to help get you started in the proper direction.

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: November 16, 2015 10:31PM

I currently only have a .22, I am sure there is no record since I bought it in 1988 at ServiceMerchandise, but there may be a trail. With the current situation and the Hype on Guns and the 2nd, I have been looking at building my arsenal up a little. I am Leaning on something I can create my own Ammo, the first thing to go if Big Brother makes a move will be Ammo. Just food for thought. I really only need 1 gun, I am sure if it gets that bad I can Acquire another with some of my Ammo.

Posted by: Wow... ()
Date: November 16, 2015 11:01PM

Holy fucking shit. Most of the above answers are some what pretty good. I was expecting all kinds of BS or troll responses to the OP.

Let me confirm other responses and add some of my own.

Local guns stores - Virginia Arms in Manassas is the best. Most of the guys that have been there a while are very knowledgeable. They will not sell you something just to sell it to you unless you are an idiot. The owner is a good guy.

Shotguns - Can be great but can also be a bad selection. Ask somebody that knows what they are doing and take a training class--or more then one to learn what weapon best fits your needs.

Training - Take some classes. Learn what you are doing. You may never use any of it but at least you will know what end of the gun to point where and wont be scared of the noise. NRA is your best bet but there are some private trainers around that are pretty good as well.

Gun Shows - Never ever go to a gun show unless you are just looking or already know what you want. Most of the dealers at gun shows are there only to make money. They will tell you whatever you want to hear to make a sell. You can save some money by buying here but know what you are looking for before going.

There are also better websites to ask questions about guns. AR15.com is one. It has threads on all kinds of guns and other items. Lots of info on this webpage.

Posted by: jxhnfjktrvk ()
Date: November 16, 2015 11:03PM

also check out thefiringline.com

cool forum for handguns, rifles, gear, and even some legal

Date: November 16, 2015 11:13PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of-57Ivfwz8

That's all .. .38 Special.. 4 inch barrel Colt or Smith.. All you need , Easy to unload, load, check to make sure its empty..And used by police all over the USA for 80 + years.

Make good use of the comments here about the NRA range, training, safe keeping. And Do practice with it at least every 6 months..

Gun shows are cheaper.. But they don't have too much time to tell you much. Your first gun.. Go to a dealer with a shop..

Posted by: jnhkq3fbgjf ()
Date: November 16, 2015 11:19PM

Double Action Jackson Wrote:

> That's all .. .38 Special.. 4 inch barrel Colt or
> Smith.. All you need , Easy to unload, load,
> check to make sure its empty..And used by police
> all over the USA for 80 + years.

Umm, not to be too argumentative but police don't use revolvers anymore. The .38 cal is not recognized as a sufficient round anymore. Yes, it will kill someone if exact perfect placement. But the 9mm has been the go-to for a long time. Check out the Glock 9mm (G17, etc). This way, you'll have 2 magazines each holding up to 17 rounds and is much faster to load than having to put each round (6 of them) individually into a revolver.

Posted by: GetIt ()
Date: November 16, 2015 11:25PM

heymack Wrote:
> Ok. So the law is that I can carry on my belt in
> the open without a permit but once in a car I have
> to put it in my glove compartment or center
> console. So you are allowed to conceal without a
> permit while driving?
>

Why don't you just get the permit? If you don't want to carry, don't carry; at least you will have the permit if you decide to carry in the future.

Posted by: But But ...Sez DAJAX ()
Date: November 16, 2015 11:42PM

Those autos are so "sneaky".. "loaded round in the chamber".. "jacking" the slide loading, getting the "round out the chamber".

No offense but

>The .38 cal is not recognized as a sufficient round anymore. Yes, it will kill someone if exact perfect placement

The .38 works just fine and has done so with police and the rest of us for as said 80+ years. Need more firepower..Then you need a M-60 .308 / 7.62 Machine Gun.. Oh well there all gone now.. Stolen from that Army place in Mass. Out O Luck folks.. till ISIS gives em up..and we get um back..They have not said it.. But what do you think they got.. No brain need to figure that one out..plus some M-4's...223 full auto carbines..

OP and others go to a gun shop and talk to them.. they will be glad to help you out.

The debate continues.. 38 .. 9mm..40 SW 10 mm 45 ACP..357 Mag, 41 Mag.. 44 Mag... Glad no ones talking bout that pesky Lil Ole Baby Browning or Colt .25 or the Dreaded Jennings .22 LR.. But remember the "First Rule".. "Have a Gun".. They Sure beat a blade..

Big Ones .. Autos, Oh Well.. I just like "Wheel Guns" Plus its easier to keep the brass...

Thanx.

DAJAX

Posted by: FBI SEZ.. ()
Date: November 16, 2015 11:52PM

>I bought it in 1988 at ServiceMerchandise, but there may be a trail

You Sucker.. Never talk about your gun.. There is a "Trail" and IT LEADS to YOU!! And you just tipstered your self Out.." Calling ALL CARS" Cops Take Note...

Quick.. Act like a Democrat.. "Guns.. Guns. I hate guns.. I don't have any never wanted any or will have any in my house"... WINK!...

Hands Up.. !

LOL Just kidding kid.. DAJAX..

Posted by: gun facts guy ()
Date: November 16, 2015 11:57PM

But But ...Sez DAJAX Wrote:

> The .38 works just fine and has done so with
> police and the rest of us for as said 80+ years.
> Need more firepower..Then you need a M-60 .308 /
> 7.62 Machine Gun.. Oh well there all gone now..
> Stolen from that Army place in Mass. Out O Luck
> folks.. till ISIS gives em up..and we get um
> back..They have not said it.. But what do you
> think they got.. No brain need to figure that one
> out..plus some M-4's...223 full auto carbines..

There's no need to go all out to try to prove a point. Nobody is suggesting that the OP go for it and get something beyond what he needs. The suggestion is that a 9mm is a better performing round, and it is. And the 9mm is easy to shoot. And the 9mm does have a better round capacity. Many police agencies are moving to the .40. But you will almost never ever see any metro area police using a revolver except maybe in a place like Mayberry.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196949

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/08/robert-farago/9mm-wins-caliber-wars/

OP: go to a reputable gun store and get their advice.

Posted by: Thought They Were All Down ()
Date: November 17, 2015 12:21AM

All those bad ones that got into it with "Coppers" and went down with .38 special 158 grain round nose lead in um.. Must be a big lie.. Could not have happened. PICS Needed FXU Style!! Truly had to be Hi Speed XTP/Gold Dot 147 grain 9 mm loads that did the deed...

Hello John.. Calling John Dillinger....You are still there right John..

The .38 is just fine. Easy to use, More training is needed with autos then "Home Daddy" wants to get into. Home Daddy does not need 17 rounds.. he cant afford them...6 will do..

>OP: go to a reputable gun store and get their advice

Good Advice. Good Night All

DAJAX

Posted by: Avoid Blue Ridge ()
Date: November 17, 2015 07:53AM

The folks at Blue Ridge Arsenal were big obama donors, and by extension, supporters of ISIS. Avoid at all cost.

Posted by: Coffee & Carry ()
Date: November 17, 2015 09:24AM

Avoid Blue Ridge Wrote:
> The folks at Blue Ridge Arsenal were big obama
> donors, and by extension, supporters of ISIS.
> Avoid at all cost.

Source?

Posted by: kjfuhkfwgy ()
Date: November 17, 2015 09:33AM

Avoid Blue Ridge Wrote:
> Avoid at all cost.

Yeah, I'm curious about this too. Provide a source please.

Posted by: SEG and NRA ()
Date: November 17, 2015 09:39AM

On camera, he admits it:

towards the end of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_jAyM2DD-4

http://www.pagunblog.com/2008/12/09/blue-ridge-arsenal-owner-voted-obama-celebrates-with-increased-sales/

do a search for blue ridge arsenal obama, and you'll find this everywhere

Posted by: Coffee & Carry ()
Date: November 17, 2015 09:54AM

SEG and NRA Wrote:
> On camera, he admits it:
>
> towards the end of the video:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_jAyM2DD-4
>
> http://www.pagunblog.com/2008/12/09/blue-ridge-ars
> enal-owner-voted-obama-celebrates-with-increased-s
> ales/
>
> do a search for blue ridge arsenal obama, and
> you'll find this everywhere

Thanks! Was considering this as an alternative to SEG (simply because of waits to get range time). Glad I saw this.

Posted by: manassas ()
Date: November 17, 2015 10:07AM

There's a nice new range in Manassas. It's a little bit of a haul but they have a great range, including a 100 yd indoor range (for rifles). It's called Elite Shooting Sports.

Date: November 17, 2015 01:41PM

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate all the feedback! Really good information as a soon to be first time owner. Looks like I’ll soon be taking a trip to Manasshole.

Some one had mentioned gun “rentals”. Strange to me and kinda blew my mind a bit, but maybe I’m taking it the wrong way. If I were to go to a range, will they have rentals or demos that I could shoot a few different types like the glock vs. beretta?

I have used a shotgun a few times before and was amazed at the ease. Even as a novice, it was extremely easy to use and actually “smoke” skeet. However, I’m kinda limited due to the missus. I was actually a bit stunned when she was “ok” with the whole idea and purchase. We just never really thought this would come into play with us, so I do have to tread lightly with her! I figure a good start will be a solid handgun that she will also be able to learn, practice, and feel comfortable with. Once she starts to feel comfortable with the idea, then we can go from there.

Thanks again…you guys have actually restored a bit of faith for me that FFXU isn’t solely a place of all the drama and BS!

Posted by: gun guy ()
Date: November 17, 2015 02:43PM

Uncle Sammy, somebody like you (a pussy) should get a 4-10 shotgun and use buckshot.

Posted by: rentals111 ()
Date: November 17, 2015 02:45PM

Usually you have to stick to buying their ammo. But if you rent a 9mm glock, and 10 minutes later go back and get a 9mm sig you can do that. Really not a problem when it's the same caliber. Only drag is scrubs at counter in front of you yapping with the staff.

Posted by: MkWpk ()
Date: November 17, 2015 03:59PM

Get a 10 gauge and then you can block the intruder's head clear off his shoulders and hit the neighbor's car parked 50 yards away after passing through the cinder block on your own home --- we'll I'm being sarcastic.

A 12 with the slowest velocity shot is what you want for home defense -- to limit any collateral damage.

Posted by: Your Welcome ()
Date: November 17, 2015 07:31PM

Remember to do your research on Va laws with regard to deadly force and brandishment of a firearm.

You really should take a class. Any of the CCW classes will do and you don't have to apply for a permit just keep the certificate they give you. If you need a permit some day you have the training paper. (At least say 5 years)

Sharpshooters in Newington rents all kind of guns. It will probably set you back 65 dollars for 50 rounds. Range fee Gun rental Ammo Targets ear protectors, shooting glasses rental.

If you do buy a gun look at the small gun safes. Well worth it if their are any children at all in your house at any time.

And do practice at least 2 times a year 50 rounds minimum each time.

Shotguns are great home defenders, but anything with a long barrel takes skill to use in "searching a house" as it can be taken away and used against you. Rifles have too much penetration , a center fire rifle bullet can pass through several walls exit the house and hit someone in the house next door.

All of this and lots more are covered in a CCW class.

That's your best advice. Go to a gun shop. As many here have advised. They are not sleazy.. what the media portrays them as. They will give you good advice.

DAJAX

Posted by: too funny ()
Date: November 17, 2015 07:47PM

Avoid Blue Ridge Wrote:
> Avoid at all cost.

Supporter of ISIS? Really? If any president was a supporter of ISIS, it was their chief recruiter George W. Bush.

Of course Blue Ridge Arsenal celebrated Obama's victory. They knew it would be great for business as the tinfoil-hatted crew rushed in to arm themselves.

Posted by: you're a gun-tard ()
Date: November 17, 2015 07:50PM

Your Welcome Wrote:

tumblr_lwz4kgFNWV1qzaxefo1_500.png

Posted by: Ying Ko ()
Date: November 17, 2015 08:01PM

You're welcome

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: November 18, 2015 10:47PM

Interesting thread. I wondered at the "9mm better than .38" -- not because I have a valid opinion, but 9mm is slightly less than 0.38 inches. Mr. Google offers this:
http://www.diffen.com/difference/.38_Special_vs_9mm
...which suggests that 9mm has higher velocity. Why? Anyone know? I could probably find it with a few more searches, but...

Posted by: SECFHaxrg ()
Date: November 18, 2015 11:05PM

Greybeard Wrote:

> I could probably find it with a
> few more searches, but...

But what? Too lazy?

9mm has greater velocity and energy because the casing is shorter. If you have the same size projectile (9mm is the same as .38) firing from a shorter casing, the velocity is higher because pressure is built up in less room.

Date: November 18, 2015 11:29PM

SECFHaxrg Wrote:
> But what? Too lazy?

Something like that. Too tired, anyway...coast-to-coast twice in less than 24 hours. Need sleep.

> 9mm has greater velocity and energy because the
> casing is shorter. If you have the same size
> projectile (9mm is the same as .38) firing from a
> shorter casing, the velocity is higher because
> pressure is built up in less room.

Ah, see, that's useful info -- I would have thought "longer casing = more powder = more force = higher velocity". Not arguing -- obviously this doesn't hold true (and I did note on the page I cited that .38 is longer, wondered at the time).

Thanks And so to bed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2015 11:32PM by Greybeard.

Posted by: slacguk ()
Date: November 18, 2015 11:34PM

Greybeard Wrote:
> SECFHaxrg Wrote:
> -----
> > But what? Too lazy?
>
> Something like that. Too tired,
> anyway...coast-to-coast twice in less than 24
> hours. Need sleep.
>
> > 9mm has greater velocity and energy because the
> > casing is shorter. If you have the same size
> > projectile (9mm is the same as .38) firing from
> a
> > shorter casing, the velocity is higher because
> > pressure is built up in less room.
>
> Ah, see, that's useful info -- I would have
> thought "longer casing = more powder = more force
> = higher velocity". Not arguing -- obviously this
> doesn't hold true (and I did note on the page I
> cited that .38 is longer, wondered at the time).
>
> Thanks And so to bed.

If more powder, that would be the 357 magnum.

Posted by: Wow.... ()
Date: November 18, 2015 11:37PM

SECFHaxrg Wrote:
> Greybeard Wrote:
> -----
>
> > I could probably find it with a
> > few more searches, but...
>
> But what? Too lazy?
>
> 9mm has greater velocity and energy because the
> casing is shorter. If you have the same size
> projectile (9mm is the same as .38) firing from a
> shorter casing, the velocity is higher because
> pressure is built up in less room.

A whole lot of stupid being posted about 9mm vs .38. A lot goes into the question of velocity and not all 9mm has higher velocity then all .38. You can change powders, size of the charge, or the weight of the bullet. All of these go into the velocity of any round.

Every round has it pros and its cons.

High velocity alone does not equal a good pistol round. A light high velocity 9mm round sucks compared to a heavy lower velocity .45.

There is nothing wrong with a .38 if the right round is used. FBI/police went away from the .38 platform not due to the ammo but the guns themselves. 38's carry 6 rounds at the most (usually). A 9mm has a lot more when talking service type guns. The FBI/cops wanted more rounds in the gun before having to reload.

And there is nothing wrong with a 9mm round either as long as the right round is picked. A 147gr 9mm bullet is what you want. Something like the Winchester Ranger T-series or bonded type ammo. The FBI is about to switch back to the 9mm from the .40S&W. The current 9mm ammo is much better then what it was when the FBI switched to the 40 way back when.

Posted by: Now Here This and Argue ()
Date: November 19, 2015 11:14AM

The .38 special is a very old cartridge. The .45 long Colt is also old, both started out as black powder cartridges. This is why in there original loadings they had to be weaker then what the same size cartridge today could be.

The reason is that the box says .38 Special or .45 long Colt they have to make these so if someone put a bullet in a 1899 gun it wont blow up.

In time the 38 has been improved and for quite a while they have been available in +P Plus Pressure loads also called Plus Police by some. These are to be used in modern guns marked for the +P round or older guns with heavy frames like the Smith Wesson N frame guns,. The .357 magnum was developed by shooters using the N Frame guns with higher powered loads. Elmer Keith did the same with a N Frame S&W .44 special. The factories created the .357 with a shell casing 1/10 of a inch longer so it can not be used in .38 Special gun. The .38 special can be fired in .357 magnum guns. The same applies to the .44 magnum. The 9 mm was always a smokeless powder round so it was loaded at higher velocities then the .38 special as there were no black powder 9mm guns to deal with.

So the original factory loadings of a 9mm are a faster bullet. The bullet is much lighter however the standard 9mm loads are 115 or 120 grain loads. The standard .38 load has long been a lead 158 grain bullet. Weight X velocity = muzzle energy which is how hard the bullet hits. Because of the higher velocity the 9mm could hit a bit harder then a .38. As said this all changed with the +P .38 and +P 9mm too are available and that's what the police use.

Many LEOs today use a .9mm +P round with a hollow point 147 grain bullet. These bullets expand or mushroom into a deadly razor edge bullet. If you look at 9mm or 38 special defense ammo today you will see there are all on the hollowpoint expanding bullet bus. Speer Gold Dots, Talons, Golden Sabers, XTP's are some of the names. The old .158 grain round nose lead police load often pass thru leaving a small wound "track". Nasty stuff all of this, talking about expansion.and .wound tracks.. In the late 70's or early 80's FX CO PD went to a 158 grain lead hollowpoint round, There was a good deal of debate with the newspaper editors in liberal cities about these hollowpoints as they can be more effective then a soild bullet as they expand and cause more damage.. The police countered that the hollowpoints flatten out if they miss and will not ricochet as much as a soild bullet. In reality many of the hollwpoint loads do not expand that much as some are not high enough velocity to do it.

In time the issue became capacity of the handgun as police were facing baddies armed with 9mm's that held more rounds then a cops 6 shot revolver, so the police got the 9's too and the hollwpoint issue was forgotten as the news editors talked about the higher capacity guns 'spraying lead' in every direction.. And that has happened unfortunately but what is a cop to do when they are ambushed by high cap gun carrying thugs?

Police have experimented with many different rounds over the years. Some depts. would allow anything the officer could qualify with to be carried..(Beware of Texans some still carry .44 magnums..and many use the .45 Colt ACP. Gun Fighters Special)

What police found out was the more powerfull the cartridge the less people on the force could shoot it well enough to qualify to carry the gun with a good enough score on the shooting range.

The .40 Smith and Wesson was developed just for police use with the high capacity automatic guns. It shoots a heavier bullet at about 9mm speed. the recoil is not so bad as a .357 magnum and it has been the issue pistol of many police depts. A few years back FXCO PD used the 9mm the FXCO Sheriffs used the .40 SW. I don't know what they use today. There are .357 SIG and some other rounds out there today. I think the VSP uses the .357 SIG.

The FBI has tried every firearm there is. Many years ago their standard gun was a S&W Model 13 .357 magnum with a 3 inch barrel. Agents could use .38 or .357 magnum ammo in them depending on what they qualified with. They then went to 9mm then to 10 mm and that was too much recoil and hard to handle, Then they went to the .40 SW. Now they have just gone back to the 9mm. The ammo is less expensive and its easier to get the agents qualified and it works for them . They have done every kind of test you can think of and have people that do just that all the time. Their swat teams still use the old .45 govt automatic as do many other special police hostage rescue and swat teams do. And you will see cases full of them in shops today made by all kinds of Companies other then Colt like Kimber.. Colt by the way has declared bankruptcy. The Kimbers carry a good price 800 dollars up, you will see some Wes Baures and Kimbers at 2000 dollars and more. The old .45 Colt ACP Govt Model was and IS the world's best fighting handgun.. If you can handle one properly as it is a single action firearm and to be effective and ready has to be carried 'Cocked and Locked" .. a round in the chamber, the hammer cocked back and the safety on.

The sight of a .45 carried like that can really scare the shit out of some people.. even me.LOL. I would bet my life on only one gun..22 Jennings.. LOL.

But I do think the old school single shot " ZIP GUNS" are Way Cool! That's what real Zoot Suiters and Thugs used to carry..on the Road Map to The Electric Chair.

Now remember the old saying about the 1st rule of guns and knives...

DAJAX

Posted by: don't get a .38 ()
Date: November 19, 2015 09:36PM

Don't get a revolver, that's a terrible idea for a new shooter for many reasons.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: November 19, 2015 10:03PM

Kimber Ultra Carry II:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/ultra-carry-ii-a

45acp

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Posted by: Like Seeing If Its Unloaded?? ()
Date: November 19, 2015 10:05PM

With a revolver you can see if its unloaded in a second, no round in the chamber issues.. swing out the cylinder.

Want to safe a revolver.. do as cops did get a pair of handcuffs and lock one around the frame with the cylinder swung out. a bike lock will do the same .Done...cant close and lock the cylinder cant fire it if kid gets to it.

A .38 Special revolver is the best user friendly reliable gun out there ..for people without a lot of training who just want a Home Daddy - Home Mama defense of family house gun. 100 plus years of use by police can't be wrong.

DAJAX

Date: November 19, 2015 10:08PM

Now Here This and Argue Wrote:
> The .38 special is a very old cartridge. The .45
> long Colt is also old, both started out as black
> powder cartridges. This is why in there original
> loadings they had to be weaker then what the same
> size cartridge today could be.
>
> The reason is that the box says .38 Special or
> .45 long Colt they have to make these so if
> someone put a bullet in a 1899 gun it wont blow
> up.

Ah. That makes more sense. So it's not inherent, just historical/compatibility issues. Just like much software!

Posted by: The Gun Fighters Say ()
Date: November 19, 2015 10:13PM

>The Kimbers carry a good price 800 dollars up, you will see some Wes Baures and Kimbers at 2000 dollars and more. The old .45 Colt ACP Govt Model was and IS the world's best fighting handgun.. If you can handle one properly as it is a single action firearm and to be effective and ready has to be carried 'Cocked and Locked" .. a round in the chamber, the hammer cocked back and the safety on.

>Kimber Ultra Carry II: 45acp

That's a world class gun fighters pistol. The Best of the Best . As said for those willing to train to handle it and instinctively are able to flick of the safety and use the pistol in a self defense situation through extensive training with the firearm..

But its not the best "gun" for Home BBQ Football game Daddy and Home Soccer Mom. Unless they want to invest the time and money to train. The Old "Trey Eight" does a fine job defending Americas Homes.

Now to let you all argue back, Im STFU... ... For now..

DAJAX

Posted by: Gndvt ()
Date: November 22, 2015 11:34AM

there's only ONE question:

Do you feel luck, punk?

Date: November 23, 2015 11:12PM

"I Got's To Know!" Yes Clint Eastwood in the Classic Dirty Harry scene with his Smith & Wesson Model 29 blue steel with a 6 inch barrel, .44 Remington Magnum

This film scene caused the sales of the M-29 to go..Out Of Sight Baby back in the early 1970's. In no time they were all gone and the prices went "Out of Sight Too"

DO You Feel Lucky Punk? LOL.. ! Note: Dirty Harry Has got a Hot Dog From "Kilton" Who has gone on to fame as the biggest Hot Dog Dealer at all Gun Shows..!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xjr2hnOHiM

In reality there are many more powerfull handguns today, ..but the .44 magnum is still the King of Power as its about the max anyone can handle in a carry gun.And requires a lot of practice to master. Too bad Clint did not use the Old .45 Colt Govt Automatic, Its Still.. The Worlds Best Gun fighting Handgun.

Myself Im not macho at all a .22 Jennings is all that I would every need to defend myself against a Hot Dog Burglar! Or a Hickory stick..

Now Libtards.. tell us about your Golf Club..LOL! DAJAX

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2015 11:21PM by Double Action Jackson.

Posted by: Gun for a Fag ()
Date: November 23, 2015 11:14PM

gun guy Wrote:
> Uncle Sammy, somebody like you (a pussy) should
> get a 4-10 shotgun and use buckshot.

Posted by: stop being stupid ()
Date: November 23, 2015 11:25PM

If you don't get a semi-automatic handgun, you're making a mistake. Revolvers are ancient technology, and are nowhere near as good in a self-defense situation.

People telling the OP to get a revolver don't know what the fuck they're talking about. Your ideal gun (for wife as well) would be a 9mm Glock or S&W.

Date: November 23, 2015 11:31PM

As its said in the movies.. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.. #1 Rule.. have a gun.. Even if its a Jennings LOL.. Oak axe handle works pretty good too..Maybe a bit better then a hickory stick.. And Every One is Afraid of a

"Highly Pissed OFF White Man! Lol..

Posted by: Sorry Dont Agree ()
Date: November 23, 2015 11:56PM

>People telling the OP to get a revolver don't know what the fuck they're talking about. Your ideal gun (for wife as well) would be a 9mm Glock or S&W.

Anyone who buys a gun for home defense needs to:

Become Well trained with the handgun..

This takes time practice and money. many trips to a range and at least 2000 rounds fired. And you cant stop there constant practice at least once every three months is needed

Who wants to do that? Some will. Most wont. Automatics take much more training and range time to use shoot well then a revolver.

If you don't want to spend the time to train and use the handgun well. Get anything you want. Yes there are many cases of people disarmed and killed with their own guns.. Hate to say it but libs are right on some of it..

You want a gun for home defense. get one.. and a small cheap gun "safe" that opens quickly with push buttons , there about 140 dollars, at a minimum to keep it in so any kids cant get to it. And train with it now and then. at least every 6 months. And keep a log of all your training...Its deadly force and that's a deadly serious reason to do so.

DAJAX

Posted by: zimm ()
Date: November 26, 2015 09:59AM

If firearms aren't going to be a hobby, stay simple. Take an introduction to firearms class at a gun store. Sharpshooters in Springfield has an indoor range too and rents firearms. Usually their classes include an hour of time on the range. I sent my parents to one and they really enjoyed it. The class will cover the basics, like transporting firearms in VA (unlocked, in a case, out of reach of driver, etc).

Don't fall for the arguments on caliber- .38 or 9mm is plenty. Hitting the target and being careful what's behind the target is more important (be aware of neighbors in a townhouse/apartment or kids in the other room, etc. Invest in a small handgun safe or a least a rigger lock to keep kids away from it.

I prefer revolvers for new shooters- no magazines, slide, safety, levers, etc. Load cylinder, aim at target, pull the trigger. A 4" .357 magnum would be great- and you can shoot cheaper, low recoiling .38 special ammo in the same gun.

Posted by: Realistically... ()
Date: November 26, 2015 10:41AM

Double Action Jackson Wrote:
> Every One is Afraid of a "Highly Pissed OFF White Man!

Nobody is afraid of all-talk, pee-in-your-pants, wussy guntards like you. .

Posted by: Actually... ()
Date: November 26, 2015 11:44AM

Realistically... Wrote:
> Double Action Jackson Wrote:
> -----
> > Every One is Afraid of a "Highly Pissed OFF
> White Man!
>
> Nobody is afraid of all-talk, pee-in-your-pants,
> wussy guntards like you. .

Alone on Thanksgiving again huh?

Posted by: gn ()
Date: November 27, 2015 10:09AM

Those who resort to insults and name calling of individuals who have alternative opinions to their own don't advance the discussion at all. America was founded on the individual rights to their own opinions and provides that they are free to speak to their mind. Stating ones thoughts and supporting them with facts, pros and cons lends to the discussion. Throwing barbs, insults and names does nothing.

God Bless America! Land of the FREE! Home of the BRAVE!

Are you brave enough to allow others to put forth their thoughts and opinions, even when they counter your own? If your stance is strong enough others will come over. If not, then maybe you are wrong. Then again, sometimes the collective can be wrong. No matter who is wrong, right, or simply advocating another reasonable alternative, we are all citizens of the USA and should defend the right to free speech.

Those who wish to purchase, collect and shoot guns can continue to do so as long as the laws allow. Those who wish to refrain from such activities are also allowed to continue their efforts to pass laws that limit or prevent those same rights.

In the end, we are all going to return to dust and our maker. History teaches us all that, if nothing else.

Date: November 27, 2015 11:46AM

I've decided on The Taurus Judge revolver. It's more of a shotgun/handgun. It can use .410 2-1/2" shotshell for close quarters without worrying about it going through walls. It can also use .45 Colt ammo for more deadly force. I think it's ideal for home defense.

Posted by: Here Comes the Judge ()
Date: November 27, 2015 10:06PM

Good Choice for home defense. Its a "Maniac Stopper". Smith & Wesson makes a similar gun, The Governor. No Its absolutely not named for McAuliff. Remember to get a strong box or trigger lock or a cable lock you can lock through the frame with the cylinder swung out if any youngsters are around.

Good to see that you are liberal and still have a brain and are not a mindless brain washed hater.

DAJAX

Date: November 28, 2015 04:43PM

Thanks for mentioning the Governor. I'll check it out. I've found some good prices at the gunshop at Davis Drive ,Sterling.

Posted by: graymoose1 ()
Date: November 28, 2015 11:52PM

I have a Ruger 357. I open carry but I have a c.c license and also the Utah out of state license.

---------------------------------------------------
W.W.S.D. what would Scooby Doo

Posted by: stumbling around your home ()
Date: November 29, 2015 08:47AM

Uncle Sammy Wrote:
"In light of Paris this weekend, and
> other things going on in the world, be it a school
> shootings, theater shootings, ISIS threats,
> expansion of metro, etc.,"

If this is a real post your first steps should be to secure your home with alarm systems, cameras, and the best locks/groundfloor window defenses you can afford. In the event of an attempted breakin by ISIS or people raiding your home from 'expansion of metro' you would be better off having the cops on the way by the time you were getting your slippers on.

Carrying outside the house. Remember should you end up in an ISIS raid or school shooting the minute you pull your piece others seeing you probably will identify you as a perpetrator. Outside your doomsday scenario you will be interacting with police and citizens armed - this also is quite risky. Others packing will see you as a possible threat and I can assure the police will give you special attention.

Notice I didnt mention any of the science on increased risk of homicide or suicide - given your opening comments I assume you know about those and up till now have weighed those risks as prohibitive.

If sincere, you will need extensive training to bring your new firearm ownership into the spectrum of even relative safety. For example if you intend on firing off 9mm inside your home in the dark you may wish to consider the fact that shots missed will go through drywall with ease finding your loved ones in bed as ready targets (your 5 iron wont do that). Maybe you go the common sense route and buy a shotgun - ever fire one of those in the dark indoors? They are loud and bright. Your night vision will be screwed and you wont hear shit after you fire a couple rounds. Now you are half blind and half deaf stumbling around your home.

Truth is if you can buy 5-10 min to shelter in place in your home the cops will be there to do a professional job of clearing the home.

Personally I like firearms because they are fun on the range and ultimately the very best hunting tool (and I rarely hunt). The idea of firearms as a practical defense in urban areas is, in my opinion misguided - that is what law enforcement is here for. You live in Alaska off the grid Id say carry all the time and have a stockade at home. In Fairfax youre better off with a security system and working cell phones by the beds.

Posted by: Good Luck Is All I can Say ()
Date: November 29, 2015 11:59AM

>Truth is if you can buy 5-10 min to shelter in place in your home

Ya great idea, its the truth all right . Hide in a closet, under the bed, in the shower with the curtain drawn. Leave the family to fend for themselves as a real liberal manwoman would do.

We of course all have 10 ton Bank Vault doors in our shacks..or we are all Limo Liberals with secret tunnels in our digs plus our Armed Bodyguards..

DAJAX

Posted by: not too inbred family ()
Date: November 29, 2015 01:01PM

Good Luck Is All I can Say Wrote:
> >Truth is if you can buy 5-10 min to shelter in
> place in your home
>
> Ya great idea, its the truth all right . Hide in a
> closet, under the bed, in the shower with the
> curtain drawn. Leave the family to fend for
> themselves as a real liberal manwoman would do.
>
> We of course all have 10 ton Bank Vault doors in
> our shacks..or we are all Limo Liberals with
> secret tunnels in our digs plus our Armed
> Bodyguards..
>
> DAJAX

As I stated I was promoting security by alarm and means to prevent entry into the house to begin with. Leave it to you to turn this somehow into a political argument. Why not try and use your brain - the lives you save will probably be those of your hopefully not too inbred family...

Posted by: That Dog Dont Hunt.. ()
Date: November 29, 2015 08:24PM

" The Judge" Or "The Governor" handgun. Best Home Defense. Thats It. Or any old cop style .38 special. As said long guns are too easy to take from "yaw all".

If you live in a apt or condo , one way in and out cops close by that's one thing.. In a big ole scary house with a lot of ways in doors and windows, sliding glass, basement, rooms with windows with roof access and a lot of strange noises at night, Your best defense is a firearm. Then a cell phone as Charles Manson's people may cut your phone lines just like they did in LA in 69.But don't ever count on a cell phone as your defense.. Not reliable enough to bet your life on. That's why the US Coast Guard tells boaters not to depend on em either, use a marine radio to get help .

>As I stated I was promoting security by alarm and means to prevent entry into the house to begin with

Telling people you own guns. Hunt?? and then saying not to buy a gun. You Troll.. LOL !

DAJAX

Date: January 30, 2016 04:44PM

I finally got my revolver from galleryofguns...Ruger New Blackhawk .45 convertible. I'm taking it to the range next week.

Posted by: Gunlover ()
Date: January 30, 2016 04:50PM

Ying Ko Wrote:
> I finally got my revolver from
> galleryofguns...Ruger New Blackhawk .45
> convertible. I'm taking it to the range next
> week.

Great

You run both 45ACP and 45LC (ridiculously big bullet).

Posted by: Opportunity Cost ()
Date: January 30, 2016 04:57PM

You could have had a foot-long with the works for less.
Attachments:
footlong_works.jpg

Date: January 30, 2016 05:26PM

Gunlover Wrote:
> Ying Ko Wrote:
> -----
> > I finally got my revolver from
> > galleryofguns...Ruger New Blackhawk .45
> > convertible. I'm taking it to the range next
> > week.
>
> Great
>
> You run both 45ACP and 45LC (ridiculously big
> bullet).

Yep, the cheaper ACP is for practice at the range.

Posted by: Simple ()
Date: January 30, 2016 05:34PM

Very intelligent thread.

I like to shoot my .38 Special with my S&W model 686 .357 Magnum. This revolver is safe, simple to load, clean and fire.

The weight of the frame absorbs recoil.

Date: January 30, 2016 05:49PM

Simple Wrote:
> Very intelligent thread.
>
> I like to shoot my .38 Special with my S&W model
> 686 .357 Magnum. This revolver is safe, simple to
> load, clean and fire.
>
> The weight of the frame absorbs recoil.

I just checked out the S&W686. That's a beautiful revolver.

Posted by: Some Good Advice For Ying ()
Date: January 30, 2016 07:34PM

When you have some time .Go on down to Greentop in Richmond Right before Richmond on the right along I95.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.6858165,-77.4518618,17z I hope this Google map is right. Exit 86 on I 95 .

Green top is a great place with all kinds of fishing and hunting and firearm sports.Lots of holsters cleaning stuff, Everything. Today the pistol gun counter.."The Corral" was mobbed.

Check out the reloading section. There all kinds of things for a .45 ACP or Colt .45 long Colt. There very easy to reload. It does not take a lot to do it and makes shooting much cheaper and you can load just as good ammo as comes out of a factory too. You can have a small set up in a apartment. Reloading is a hobby and I have found it enjoyable now over 40 years.

Don't let the Gun Grabbing trolls mess with you. No one I have ever heard about did any of these mass killings with reloads. Real "Gun Nuts" are very sane people not insane haters with no knowledge of what they even hate. If you need any advice on what to get just ask..plenty of folk here are in the know.

DAJAX "Double Action Jackson" And I have a couple single action .22s too. and there a lot of fun. My first pistol was a .22 my second was a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magunum with a 7.5 inch barrel.. Many moons ago. Both long ago traded off .

Date: January 30, 2016 07:43PM

Some Good Advice For Ying Wrote:
> When you have some time .Go on down to Greentop in
> Richmond Right before Richmond on the right along
> I95.
>
> https://www.google.com/maps/@37.6858165,-77.451861
> 8,17z I hope this Google map is right. Exit 86 on
> I 95 .
>
> Green top is a great place with all kinds of
> fishing and hunting and firearm sports.Lots of
> holsters cleaning stuff, Everything. Today the
> pistol gun counter.."The Corral" was mobbed.
>
> Check out the reloading section. There all kinds
> of things for a .45 ACP or Colt .45 long Colt.
> There very easy to reload. It does not take a lot
> to do it and makes shooting much cheaper and you
> can load just as good ammo as comes out of a
> factory too. You can have a small set up in a
> apartment. Reloading is a hobby and I have found
> it enjoyable now over 40 years.
>
> Don't let the Gun Grabbing trolls mess with you.
> No one I have ever heard about did any of these
> mass killings with reloads. Real "Gun Nuts" are
> very sane people not insane haters with no
> knowledge of what they even hate. If you need any
> advice on what to get just ask..plenty of folk
> here are in the know.
>
> DAJAX "Double Action Jackson" And I have a
> couple single action .22s too. and there a lot of
> fun. My first pistol was a .22 my second was a
> Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magunum with a 7.5 inch
> barrel.. Many moons ago. Both long ago traded off
> .

Will do. Thanks

Date: January 30, 2016 07:58PM

This is what I started reloading with. A Lee Loader. Don't laugh many bench rest rifle shooters use these. They make very accurate ammo. My first one was
in 30-30 Winchester, I bought it from Dawsons which was in Annandale years ago. It was 9.95. I also had one in .38 special and .44 magnum. Today there about 20 some dollars I guess. Greentop does not stock them but they have all the other stuff, primers, powder, bullets, dial calipers. You name it. And more.

The Lee loaders are slow. That's all but you can load a box of 50 rounds much cheaper in less then a hour.

See this You Tube Video, In True FXU style I will "have" to make a lousy crack.."A street vendor making ammo".. LOL. No ..just a guy saving some money and making some good ammo to shoot. His method is slightly different then mine but you will get the idea, He punches out the primer, resizes the brass case, reprimes the case with a new primer, flares the case mouth, loads the powder seats the bullet then crimps the final round.

Always wear eye protection when reloading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_j10VKGBR0

Any questions just ask and we'll all answer.. Welcome Ying to the Responsible World of Firearms ownership, a right enjoyed by people who live in a "Free Nation"

DAJAX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 08:00PM by Double Action Jackson.

Posted by: 9mm ()
Date: January 30, 2016 09:21PM

There are many reasons to purchase a 9mm if it is your first pistol.

They are always available, cheap to shoot, and versatile.

I love my .45s but carry my 9mm.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.