HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Is Hunters Woods E.S. a good school ?
Posted by: JustAsking ()
Date: June 17, 2009 12:15AM

I need some advice from parents of kids at Hunters Woods ES and graduates of that school. My child is entering Hunters Woods this coming year but now I'm having second thoughts because of this thread:

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/105172/114120.html

Is it true that the school over-emphasizes arts at the expense of other subjects ? Is the principal competent ? Does the math program suck ?

Any comments are appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Hunters Woods E.S. a good school ?
Posted by: navy parent ()
Date: June 17, 2009 11:35AM

Had three kids go thru GTC program there so, FWIW, here is my opinion:

If your kid is going for the GT program it is well worth considering. What makes it worth going are a handful of GT teachers who are absolutely phenomenal, and the experience of being with peers that are some of the hardest-working and intelligent in FCPS. If your child can deal with the pace and competition both emotionally and cognitively, it is worth the bus ride and putting up with some of the "bs" of dealing with the Reston PTSA crowd.

As for math, nearly all of the GT kids take Algebra I honors in 7th and excel in the class, continuing on into the subsequent years. There is a trend with more and more students taking Geometry honors in 7th grade and excelling. Whatever the curriculum, my kids and the kids we have kept in touch with have left HW and gone on to earn top grades at the highest level, score 700's and 800 on SAT and SAT II Math 1 and 2. Mind you I really only know about those going on to Carson and TJ, Oakton, Westfield and Chantilly but most of the GT kids are very good at math going forward, perhaps despite any curriculum.

As for the art projects, there is mandatory violin in third grade, dance class every other week, special art class every two weeks, a 4th and 6th grade "opera" where students create a musical play, to name what I can think of off the top of my head. I find that even in high school, my kids still have to make artsy poster boards and projects, so it's hard to say if there are any more or less at HW.

If your kid(s) are not GT, I can't really speak to how the core program compares to other schools in the area. I would recommend it for GT students.

Posted by: Good School ()
Date: June 17, 2009 11:46AM

There was an Oakton "home flipper" who was using the forum to try and hawk "Oakton" real estate. The strategy used was to slam all nearby schools by going on local forum boards and posting BS. Somebody also wanted the Hunter Woods school board seat so they were also posting BS.

Hunters Woods is an excellent school, as are all the Fairfax County schools.

Date: June 17, 2009 12:11PM

Sounds about right. If you are choosing between keeping your kid at your base elem vs. sending them to GT at Hunters Woods, I'd send 'em. If you are picking a base elem for your kids then it is a good school worth considering and has some pretty sweet "extras".

Posted by: WestfieldDad ()
Date: June 17, 2009 11:47PM

navy parent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds about right. If you are choosing between
> keeping your kid at your base elem vs. sending
> them to GT at Hunters Woods, I'd send 'em. If you
> are picking a base elem for your kids then it is a
> good school worth considering and has some pretty
> sweet "extras".

In general, agreed. I had a couple in the HW GTC. It was great for them, though the 3rd grade violins were pure unmitigated torture.

If you are considering moving to HW, consider not just elementary school, but middle and high school.

Posted by: Oakton Single Mom ()
Date: June 18, 2009 09:23AM

The violin is rather painful, but well worth the ear plugs. I have two kids in Hunter Woods and it is well worth the drive. I looked at other schools and they didn't provide the level I wanted for my kids.

Be prepared to wait in a long minivan line dropping off and picking up your kids.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 18, 2009 10:29AM

That place is minivan central in the afternoons for sure, but I know a bunch of kids who went there and they're all highly successful in their careers now (social degenerates also, but the school didn't do that)

Posted by: a supporter ()
Date: June 18, 2009 10:47AM

Lots of negativity about the schools here on this board. But my own kids had great experiences at Hunters Woods. Both the principal and the teachers were excellent. A group of teachers really prepared my kids for an academically challenging experience later in life - they now attend the best universities in the country. Hunters Woods contributed, no doubt. One went well past B/C calculus in high school and enrolled in GMU math courses, so hard to ping Hunters Woods approach to math, either. And the diversity element was nice - but in a quirky kind of way. Hard to explain until you see it (but not a negative).

Having said this, there are great success stories at Crossfield, etc. Not that surprising, but the more parents dedicate themselves to their kids education, the better off the schools seem to work for them. This principle of course can be a real downer for realtors.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 18, 2009 10:48AM

What negativity? This has been one of the most positive threads of the year. You just want to be one of those people who thinks they have so much insight.. you don't.

Posted by: Son Golly ()
Date: June 18, 2009 04:58PM

I know those minvan Mom's line up for miles around that place.

Posted by: a supporter ()
Date: June 18, 2009 05:13PM

RestonPeace

How you would have any insight into what my motives are or what I deign to pretend? You wouldn't have any earthly idea. You don't even have enough information to make even a facile ad hominem attack. You just wanted to make a stupid remark. You succeeded, wasting some electrons along the way.

Posted by: The Meeper Is A Fag ()
Date: June 18, 2009 05:14PM

The Meeper got his Master's degree there

Posted by: Oakton Single Mom ()
Date: June 18, 2009 08:27PM

The Meeper Is A Fag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Meeper got his Master's degree there

Worthless post and a waste of time.

Posted by: Terry ()
Date: June 18, 2009 08:48PM

Hunters Woods is OK, but try to get into Dogwood elementary right down the street on Glade Drive, Sure they draw from Stonegate, but at the elementary school age it really does not matter, the kids are generally ok. Now once they become 7th graders, and are having to attend Langston Hughes you may wish to move to a better school district.

Posted by: The Meeper Is A Fag ()
Date: June 18, 2009 09:34PM

Of course you're a single mom you stupid bitch skank.

Date: June 19, 2009 10:32AM

The easy solution to the carpool nightmare is to put your kids on the bus. There's no reason you have to drive and I'm not sure why anyone would want to spend the time and $ every school day.

Posted by: budgetbuster ()
Date: June 19, 2009 03:19PM

That's right, spend the taxpayer's money busing kids who could just as well go to their own school (and I hear Navy is a very good one) to a school that is further away so navy mom can sleep in. Get in your minivan and drive to the GT school you pushed your 8 year old into and save fcps some transportation money.

Posted by: Butt4 ()
Date: June 19, 2009 04:00PM

the only GT school I know about is that Cranapple or Cranberry - oh, no, wait Canterberry Woods between Fairfax and Annandale - do all the the GT schools have the name "woods" in them - I know a whole family who went there - are you telling me that 3 out of 3 people in family are all GT - I think not - they just need to be in a "geek" environment - if you have a child that you believe needs that - fine - but YES PLEASE take them yourself if you live out of the district because it is a waste of our money

thanks budgetbuster

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.