HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
old beer can digging
Posted by: churchkey cans ()
Date: October 06, 2015 09:55AM

Anyone here collect beer cans in the 1970's?

Nearly every kid up and down the street did back then.

Where were your favorite places to dig for old cans?

We used to dig at a place near Ravensworth, would find those old conetop cans from the late 30's, and Old Georgetown and Senate cans from the 50's.

Also, Black Label and Gunther.

Must have been an old farm nearby this was probably where the farmers threw their trash.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: old beer can digging
Posted by: Tony49 ()
Date: October 06, 2015 10:53AM

As a kid used to search in the woods off route 29 right before Kmart in FFX city. Found plenty of Senate, Old George Town, Gunther and National Bohemian flat top beer cans. The best dump had lots of quart conetops it was like digging the pirates treasure! I remember going to a beer can show in 1977 and making bank from some of those quart cone tops we found. As a kid beer can hunting/collecting seemed like the best hobby ever it required no money and there were definitely treasures waiting to be found and dug up.

Posted by: Metal Detectors ()
Date: October 06, 2015 10:58AM

Digger. I found many cans with my detector
Attachments:
photos.jpg

Posted by: Beer Miner ()
Date: October 06, 2015 09:48PM

We found a spot in Roundtree Park that must've been someone's dump or drinking spot. Several Black Label conetops and I believe there were some old National Bohemians too.

Posted by: Dug too ()
Date: October 06, 2015 10:14PM

All the popular local cans have been listed .Gunther,Senate, Old Georgetown,Black Label, Nat'l Bo, .etc There were many places, I found best places were towards the mountains, Warrenton and beyond. Side of hills or mountains near roads where people dumped or tossed trash. Cans could sometimes trapped or caught in places where water didn't pool or didn't get covered by dirt. Also, dug quite a bit in some dumps off of Braddock Rd. headed towards Centreville, past Colchester Rd, 1st-2nd Street or Road, it used to be a black community.

I gotta say, I don't think I ever found a pristine or really valuable can at any dump site. It would have been better to know about bottles to be honest. The Quart conetops are really the best finds, but very hard even back them, at least in my experience. However...inside attics or walls, found a few gems. About 15 years ago, I sold a pristine, bottom opened, Senate Ale on Ebay for well over 200. Still have a couple on hand, I haven't looked lately, but I think the market is pretty soft for that kind of stuff now. Anyway...it was a lot of fun as a teenager.

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: October 07, 2015 12:07AM

I have all mine, 4 boxes in the attic, there was a good spot behind the football field at LBSS, tried to get my kids involved but my wife wouldnt let me display them.. I might try now that Bud Light has the Teams on them.

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: October 07, 2015 12:08AM

Iron City Steelers 1976, Schnells, Guiness, Giant to name a few

Posted by: bottles dont rust ()
Date: October 07, 2015 07:51PM

I dug up an old bottle that had a wire and rubber top still attached. You had to push the wire down and that shoved the rubber stopper down inside the bottle enough to drink. The lightbulb-shaped wire still stuck out the top a little. It was unique. I dug it up off old dominion drive next to a creek in the early 90's

Posted by: WTW84 ()
Date: October 07, 2015 11:05PM

Wow, Beer cans. This topic is long overdue. Twinbrook Shopping center was a forest and a few trails round there way to Burke. Train Tracks Near Target/Bowl America. Kids called it bumfuck Eygpt. Dumps here and there. One Pit. Had 39 Buds, Senate,. O G town, 7-11 , Hals, Hamms Others.......... 7-11 in burke was still open., you could ride a bike through the trails, make a day of it. Still Be home for Dinner. You like this, you need to join a beer Can chapter. They still do a local trade show and an Even Better Presidents Day weekend show. Buy . Sell. Trade. Fredericksburg VA RT 1 Ramada. Or they used to for 30+ years. Great time. early 90's Micro was the Schiz-Net.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.