HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Should We Send Our Kids To TJ?
Posted by: somewhat hesitant ()
Date: September 29, 2015 05:41PM

Well its finally here, 8th grade - time to make the choice. Well not quite time but time to start going to the information meetings. They even have a 'TJ study club' at school. Our 8th (and 7th) grader have been in the AAP level IV since 3rd and we have loved it for them. TJ seems quite different though.

In all honesty we are somewhat hesitant to send the kids off to the Asian Harvard of Annandale because we are not sure they will enjoy the cultural change. We have lived with the kids that study year round to be in AAP and its been okay since there are still lots kids in the program that are just gifted and dont have the entirety of their lives revolve around school. We have seen normal kids pushed literally to the point of being (or at least telling us) they are suicidal. We will never push our kids like that because 1. we dont need to; and 2. because from our cultural point it seems like robbing them of their childhood.

We are college educated mainstream parents wanting the best for the kids but not wanting to throw them into a crazed culture (foreign culture) centered around academic competition similar to college studies. Experiences appreciated...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should We Send Our Kids To TJ?
Posted by: need more info ()
Date: September 29, 2015 05:46PM

If not TJ, what school would they go to?

Posted by: some questions ()
Date: September 29, 2015 05:56PM

Factors to consider:
1. outside activities
2. commute
3. what do the kids want to do?

Why do you want them to go? Prestige or education? Be honest. Most FCPS schools offer lots of AP choices in addition to community and social experiences that your kids might not get at TJ. What is important to them?

Does your child really want to follow a Stem field?

My child chose not to bother taking the test.

Posted by: Well..... ()
Date: September 29, 2015 07:21PM

What is the other option?

You can get lots of AP at the regular high schools, they might be closer to home (which is important in high school-lots of running back and forth), their friends won't be from 50 miles away (the parties are coed and they just bag the driving and let them all sleep over and pick them up in the morning), there is just lots of pressure at the Asian Harvard.

My kids decided it just was not their idea of how to spend high school and didn't bother with the test. No regrets. They both got into top schools. One goes out of state and was offered major merit scholarships.

If this is where your child feels they belong, great. Take the test. They can always change their mind later on. Whether they are accepted or not is their business only. But, the kids will talk and compare. So they want that?

Posted by: Well....... ()
Date: September 29, 2015 07:24PM

And yes, we know of a child who basically fell apart under the pressure, left school, got their GED, and is working as a bartender. And they are Asian.

Posted by: oldgezerparent ()
Date: September 29, 2015 08:20PM

Listen to me : you need to let go
1. Child may not get in the advanced academic kids are a dime a dozen most dont get n
2. Let your child pick do they want to go ?
3. Do not make it an end of life decision if they do not like it they can transfer back
4. Don't make it about you .

Posted by: wow wow ()
Date: September 29, 2015 08:33PM

When in doubt, rub one out

Posted by: Dean Wermer ()
Date: September 30, 2015 07:36AM

need more info Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If not TJ, what school would they go to?

This. If you're in a HS district that is not one of Langley, McLean, Oakton, Madison, George Mason, Woodson, Robinson, or Lake Braddock, you should push them to go to TJ. The important thing is to avoid schools that are overrun with blacks or hispanics.

Posted by: JnGvp ()
Date: September 30, 2015 07:46AM

Here is a real world situation.

Neighbor had twins that were in the AAP program.

They went to the AAP Center middle school outside of the pyramid.

One went to the local high school, one went to TJ.

The TJ twin goes to VA Tech, the non TJ twin goes to Cal Berkley.

Heard from the parents that the TJ teachers were not so good. Matter of fact teachers do not need to be good when the students are pretty well prepared for a lot of self learning.

Does your kid REALLY want TJ as a high school experience? Commuting, if they find friends, they are spread all over the county, team sports are not always the best, very different cultural experience.

Let your kids make their own INFORMED decision and let them know it is no problem if they decide not to go to TJ.

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: September 30, 2015 07:53AM

JnGvp Wrote:
> Here is a real world situation.
>
> Neighbor had twins that were in the AAP program.
>
> They went to the AAP Center middle school outside
> of the pyramid.
>
> One went to the local high school, one went to
> TJ.
>
> The TJ twin goes to VA Tech, the non TJ twin goes
> to Cal Berkley.
>
> Heard from the parents that the TJ teachers were
> not so good. Matter of fact teachers do not need
> to be good when the students are pretty well
> prepared for a lot of self learning.
>
>
> Does your kid REALLY want TJ as a high school
> experience? Commuting, if they find friends, they
> are spread all over the county, team sports are
> not always the best, very different cultural
> experience.
>
> Let your kids make their own INFORMED decision and
> let them know it is no problem if they decide not
> to go to TJ.

So is going to UC Berkley a good thing or a bad thing?

Posted by: My view ()
Date: September 30, 2015 07:56AM

Our top student decided not to go and he couldn't be happier. He's at Langley and having a great time in athletics and other activities. Most important, he's with his friends - running with his pack that keeps him grounded. He's on track for a great college - no worries there on our part. He is very happy he took the TJ test though. It was good prep for what to experience on the SAT etc... So no regrets. Why didn't he go? You hit the nail on the head when you called it the Asian-Harvard. He didn't want to feel like he was living in Korea or China. He really felt the cultural divide was just too great considering the percentages at that school. Too bad it's not a more well rounded community. However, I'm really glad TJ is there. Better for my kid's college chances to have them filtered out of Langely!

Posted by: heymack ()
Date: September 30, 2015 08:06AM

Why the fuck is our tax dollars paying for this FCPS ego trip in the first place? All TJ is for FCPS is a way to extract a small group of very bright kids and place them in 1 school in a county with over 250,000 students....thus getting "national ranking" for a "fcps" school. It does nothing to help the 250,000 kids at large and was disruptive to the neighborhoods where Jefferson is and has put population stress on other schools in the area like Annandale and Woodson. I'm done with this county and am moving out soon (no kids in school)....but I don't understand why the general populace doesn't rise up against this bullshit ego trip.

Posted by: In All Sincerity ()
Date: September 30, 2015 08:30AM

My wife and I are very fortunate to have raised three outstanding kids who are now in their 20s. Both of us spent lots of years in private schools growing up, but we both graduated from public high school.

All three of our kids were in the GT programs through elementary and middle schools. None of them really wanted to apply to TJ....and they were correct for their personal situations. We offered as an option, but we all agreed that it was not the right thing to send any of them to TJ.

We have always believed that there are three very important aspects of high school life that develop kids into well rounded young adults:

1. Academic

2. Extra Curricular Activities

3. Social Life

Frankly, I can make an argument that any of one these three items are the most important to the development of a particular teenager. We believe a good balance of these three parts of high school life leads to a well balanced graduate.

TJ works very hard to develop social life activities for its student population because they recognize the inherent void with many of its students. However, it is my opinion that many of the TJ graduates are still not well balanced young adults when they graduate. Smart? yes. Wise? Perhaps not so much in comparison.

We all live in a homogenous, real life world with all of the good, bad, and ugly. If you can agree with that premise, then why would anyone wish to have their teenagers live through their very formative years in an unrealistic environment? Does it really prepare them for life in college away from the home sanctuary?

TJ is a great school, and it works very well for some young people. But I contend that other FCPS schools can provide the same academic education as TJ without sacrificing other aspects of teenage, high school life.

Good luck with your decision.

Posted by: calling out racism ()
Date: September 30, 2015 10:52AM

I'm baffled why a white guy wouldn't want to go there... the prom choices and general high demand for his attention would make high school extremely interesting. I'd keep a map of Asia in my locker and keep a tick mark system going to make sure I wasn't leaving any out disproportionately.

By the way, when you use "cultural divide" and "not a well-rounded community" as an excuse, you are really saying you want your kids around more white kids.

Posted by: Tommy Jeff ()
Date: September 30, 2015 11:42AM

heymack Wrote:
> Why the fuck is our tax dollars paying for this
> FCPS ego trip in the first place? All TJ is for
> FCPS is a way to extract a small group of very
> bright kids and place them in 1 school in a county
> with over 250,000 students....thus getting
> "national ranking" for a "fcps" school. It does
> nothing to help the 250,000 kids at large and was
> disruptive to the neighborhoods where Jefferson is
> and has put population stress on other schools in
> the area like Annandale and Woodson. I'm done
> with this county and am moving out soon (no kids
> in school)....but I don't understand why the
> general populace doesn't rise up against this
> bullshit ego trip.

The county spends far more tryng to educate retards like you than it does gifted students. It does no service to smart kids to have them sit through slow-paced classes that cater to morons. Good riddance to you!

Date: September 30, 2015 01:08PM

Tommy Jeff Wrote:
> heymack Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why the fuck is our tax dollars paying for this
> > FCPS ego trip in the first place? All TJ is
> for
> > FCPS is a way to extract a small group of very
> > bright kids and place them in 1 school in a
> county
> > with over 250,000 students....thus getting
> > "national ranking" for a "fcps" school. It
> does
> > nothing to help the 250,000 kids at large and
> was
> > disruptive to the neighborhoods where Jefferson
> is
> > and has put population stress on other schools
> in
> > the area like Annandale and Woodson. I'm done
> > with this county and am moving out soon (no
> kids
> > in school)....but I don't understand why the
> > general populace doesn't rise up against this
> > bullshit ego trip.
>
> The county spends far more tryng to educate
> retards like you than it does gifted students. It
> does no service to smart kids to have them sit
> through slow-paced classes that cater to morons.
> Good riddance to you!

Hey, I recognize you...you're the janitor at TJ. Don't worry, your job is safe.

Date: September 30, 2015 02:50PM

OP here: Thank you all for the feedback - I am grateful. Seems like the old Fairfax Underground with genuine replies. I half thought it would end up a troll post. Thank you, seriously.

Posted by: been there done thant ()
Date: September 30, 2015 03:31PM

Two kids - one went to base school - one to TJ. Both accepted.

The base school student was accepted at a top 25 school with a fairly substantial academic scholarship. This student had lots of high school fun, wasn't too stressed, was involved in sports, and because the SAT is essentially a test of cognitive ability, did very well, scoring a bit above the TJ mean. It was the right choice for this student.

The one who chose TJ belonged there. Tested well on all of the scholastic tests - in fact - couldn't have done any better. Took upper level university math at GNU sponsored by TJ. Went to one of the most difficult schools to get into in the country (at least by acceptance rates), and belonged there too. Don't, and I means by all means don't, go to TJ if you think a kid is in the bottom 25% of the class (same applies for college, too - a reach school may seem like a dream - but it doesn't often work out well). This kid was stressed - kind of fit the kid's personality, though - not happy unless intense.

Neither school meant automatic success. Life is more about being a doer than a thinker, although some few professions require cognitive octane.

My spouse and I went to excellent schools, but we didn't light the world on fire, and didn't expect this from our kids.

My two are white, "normal" socialized kids. I am no helicopter parent - I never checked on their homework - no tutoring sessions - nothing. I already passed high school - it was their thing. I just gave them house, home, food, clothes, trips, cars and vacations, and as best I could, love.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: hLCt9 ()
Date: September 30, 2015 04:08PM

I would let your kid have a lot to do with the decision. When the 8th grade rolled around for ours last year we discussed all options. Kid talked about it with other AAP friends, teachers, etc. In the end, decided to go to regular high school even though best friend was FORCED by parents to go to TJ.

Honestly, I think FCPS should do away with not only TJ but AAP center schools. Every school should have their own AAP/Honors classes.

There is plenty of room for AAP type students to excel in the regular high school - I just don't see the need for TJ.

Date: September 30, 2015 05:05PM

hLCt9 Wrote:

> Honestly, I think FCPS should do away with not
> only TJ but AAP center schools. Every school
> should have their own AAP/Honors classes.
>
> There is plenty of room for AAP type students to
> excel in the regular high school - I just don't
> see the need for TJ.

My sentiments exactly.

Posted by: nuhvb ()
Date: September 30, 2015 05:14PM

heymack Wrote:
> hLCt9 Wrote:
> -----
>
> > Honestly, I think FCPS should do away with not
> > only TJ but AAP center schools. Every school
> > should have their own AAP/Honors classes.
> >
> > There is plenty of room for AAP type students
> to
> > excel in the regular high school - I just don't
> > see the need for TJ.
>
> My sentiments exactly.

People dont want to pay to have Level IV services at every Elementary and they certainly dont want to pay for STEM academics on par with TJ at every HS.

Date: September 30, 2015 05:19PM

been there done thant Wrote:
> Two kids - one went to base school - one to TJ.
> Both accepted.
>
> The base school student was accepted at a top 25
> school with a fairly substantial academic
> scholarship. This student had lots of high school
> fun, wasn't too stressed, was involved in sports,
> and because the SAT is essentially a test of
> cognitive ability, did very well, scoring a bit
> above the TJ mean. It was the right choice for
> this student.
>
> The one who chose TJ belonged there. Tested well
> on all of the scholastic tests - in fact -
> couldn't have done any better. Took upper level
> university math at GNU sponsored by TJ. Went to
> one of the most difficult schools to get into in
> the country (at least by acceptance rates), and
> belonged there too. Don't, and I means by all
> means don't, go to TJ if you think a kid is in the
> bottom 25% of the class (same applies for college,
> too - a reach school may seem like a dream - but
> it doesn't often work out well). This kid was
> stressed - kind of fit the kid's personality,
> though - not happy unless intense.
>
> Neither school meant automatic success. Life is
> more about being a doer than a thinker, although
> some few professions require cognitive octane.
>
> My spouse and I went to excellent schools, but we
> didn't light the world on fire, and didn't expect
> this from our kids.
>
> My two are white, "normal" socialized kids. I am
> no helicopter parent - I never checked on their
> homework - no tutoring sessions - nothing. I
> already passed high school - it was their thing.
> I just gave them house, home, food, clothes,
> trips, cars and vacations, and as best I could,
> love.
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply this seems similar to our kids as well.

Posted by: ehhh ()
Date: September 30, 2015 07:01PM

Most TJ kids are pushed to go for ego and the best chance to get into UVA. They aren't even interested in STEM. They go off to UVA and study humanities.

Posted by: ticket to UVA ()
Date: September 30, 2015 07:06PM

maybe they become math teachers

Posted by: Been there done that ()
Date: September 30, 2015 09:42PM

Ehh - TJ students find their background helpful in engineering because they are advanced in math and physics and they do quite well. Ironically Tech has some technical requirements which cannot be as easily passed over. It all depends on what is right for the student - but TJ is a great prep for engineering / bearing in mind it is not the only option.

Posted by: Another Viewpoint ()
Date: October 01, 2015 12:43PM

Been connected with the TJ community for a very long time (+10 years) because of multiple kids going through the school, all of whom were good fits for TJ's curriculum and general academic environment (one is currently a junior). All of them were successful in academics and athletics and really enjoyed their experience, but had very different things to say about the culture and morale of the place.

It seems that the renovation process (which will be almost finished by the time your kid walks in as a freshman) took a major toll on the morale of the school during its worst periods - between about 2013 to early 2015. Part of this was due to the physical environment and part of it was due to the types of kids that were getting in - applications fell among certain demographics because the prestige of the school wasn't enough to overcome the challenges that renovation presented.

As new spaces have opened in the school, it has been remarkable to see how the morale of the place has changed. TJ is once again becoming a place that well-adjusted kids want to go, as it was in the previous 20-odd years of its existence, and my youngest is thrilled to be able to see the completion of what should be a spectacular new building.

The school's still not for everyone. It's demanding academically, and there are probably a good 25% of the students who are obsessed with their academics in an unhealthy way. But there are plenty of places for kids to go where they can develop great relationships and have a fantastic high school experience unlike any other in the area.

My advice to you would be to talk to your kid very honestly about what TJ is and find some connections in your area to get a sense of what current students are experiencing. You're not required to attend if you get in, so there's really nothing to lose in applying. The six months between application and acceptance are a great opportunity for your kid to get to know the school and decide if it's the right place for them.

Date: October 01, 2015 03:17PM

Again, thank you for your input - great insight! Its the 25% obsessed with academic types that worry me the most as a parent. its high school after all.

Posted by: In All Sincerity ()
Date: October 01, 2015 03:50PM

If your kids value a balanced life, social, with great friends who will be going to your regular HS, and they are into applying themselves both in the classroom as well as being somewhat involved with activities (sports, band, etc), then just forget TJ.

They will thank you later.

By the way...what is the high school in your district?

Posted by: stinkpoo ()
Date: October 01, 2015 04:25PM

Sounds like you don't really want the best for them. You don't have the balls to be a tiger mom and are ok with your mediocre kids. You didn't want an answer to a question, you wanted validation for being a less than great parent.

Posted by: _JMU2k5_ ()
Date: October 01, 2015 04:31PM

blanche Wrote:
> JnGvp Wrote:
> -----
> > Here is a real world situation.
> >
> > Neighbor had twins that were in the AAP
> program.
> >
> > They went to the AAP Center middle school
> outside
> > of the pyramid.
> >
> > One went to the local high school, one went to
> > TJ.
> >
> > The TJ twin goes to VA Tech, the non TJ twin
> goes
> > to Cal Berkley.
> >
> > Heard from the parents that the TJ teachers
> were
> > not so good. Matter of fact teachers do not
> need
> > to be good when the students are pretty well
> > prepared for a lot of self learning.
> >
> >
> > Does your kid REALLY want TJ as a high school
> > experience? Commuting, if they find friends,
> they
> > are spread all over the county, team sports are
> > not always the best, very different cultural
> > experience.
> >
> > Let your kids make their own INFORMED decision
> and
> > let them know it is no problem if they decide
> not
> > to go to TJ.
>
> So is going to UC Berkley a good thing or a bad
> thing?

Bad thing.

Posted by: Another Viewpoint ()
Date: October 01, 2015 11:24PM

somewhat hesitant Wrote:
> Again, thank you for your input - great insight!
> Its the 25% obsessed with academic types that
> worry me the most as a parent. its high school
> after all.

No problem! From my perspective, it would be bothersome as well, but my kids don't seem to mind. As with any high school, they just hang out with their group and don't really bother with the group of kids who are just into their books. My junior and his friends work hard and play hard, and it seems to work out great for them.

Posted by: yKXbu ()
Date: October 02, 2015 03:00PM

In All Sincerity Wrote:
> If your kids value a balanced life, social, with
> great friends who will be going to your regular
> HS, and they are into applying themselves both in
> the classroom as well as being somewhat involved
> with activities (sports, band, etc), then just
> forget TJ.
>
> They will thank you later.
>
> By the way...what is the high school in your
> district?

Woodson we are between TJ and Woodson so the travel distance is virtually identical.

Date: October 02, 2015 03:48PM

yKXbu Wrote:
> In All Sincerity Wrote:
> -----
> > If your kids value a balanced life, social,
> with
> > great friends who will be going to your regular
> > HS, and they are into applying themselves both
> in
> > the classroom as well as being somewhat
> involved
> > with activities (sports, band, etc), then just
> > forget TJ.
> >
> > They will thank you later.
> >
> > By the way...what is the high school in your
> > district?
>
> Woodson we are between TJ and Woodson so the
> travel distance is virtually identical.

According to US News and World Report TJ is #1 in Virginia....followed by #2 Langley and #3 Woodson ... in the entire state.

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/virginia?int=9abb08

Woodson would definitely be my choice.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: October 02, 2015 04:47PM

somewhat hesitant Wrote:
> Well its finally here, 8th grade - time to make
> the choice. Well not quite time but time to start
> going to the information meetings. They even have
> a 'TJ study club' at school. Our 8th (and 7th)
> grader have been in the AAP level IV since 3rd and
> we have loved it for them. TJ seems quite
> different though.
>
> In all honesty we are somewhat hesitant to send
> the kids off to the Asian Harvard of Annandale
> because we are not sure they will enjoy the
> cultural change. We have lived with the kids that
> study year round to be in AAP and its been okay
> since there are still lots kids in the program
> that are just gifted and dont have the entirety of
> their lives revolve around school. We have seen
> normal kids pushed literally to the point of being
> (or at least telling us) they are suicidal. We
> will never push our kids like that because 1. we
> dont need to; and 2. because from our cultural
> point it seems like robbing them of their
> childhood.
>
> We are college educated mainstream parents wanting
> the best for the kids but not wanting to throw
> them into a crazed culture (foreign culture)
> centered around academic competition similar to
> college studies. Experiences appreciated...

So dramatic.

No

Posted by: Exaggeration ()
Date: October 02, 2015 06:47PM

Crazed culture is an overstatement. Kids at TJ care about their grades, sure, and some go overboard, but you have that at all schools. The pressure in this area to excel in academics and get accepted to elite schools is everywhere (yes, definitely at Woodson too) - it just happens that a few kids at TJ fit everyone else's narrative.

Posted by: Ho Lee ()
Date: October 03, 2015 12:37AM

TJ and Woodson aren't all that different. Asians and whites. Very few troublemaking nogs.

Posted by: klweaj ()
Date: October 03, 2015 04:25PM

Don't separate siblings by sending one kid to TJ. You're setting up the family dynamic of one child being, "the smart one" and the other one, not so much. It does a lot of harm to exaggerate these small differences. In most families neither child is such an outliner as to need a separate school.

Posted by: Truthfully ()
Date: October 03, 2015 05:36PM

Move so you can send them to Mount Vernon for a real challenge.

Posted by: Academic Hunger Games ()
Date: October 05, 2015 04:58PM

Wow. Went to the TJ info presentation at Frost today. Its intense. 1st application is due this Friday ($90) the application process lasts thru March. Application, 1st test(2hrs) 12/5. If you pass that one and your records are good enough you submit a teacher recommendation and you take another test on 1/23.

"if you dont have a STEM project or passion now you need to get one here at Frost and do something about it NOW"

Half the lecture was how 'normal' TJ is with clubs athletics etc. then they launch into this arduous application process combined with advise on 'how you can help yourself (get admitted).' You need to have a passion. These are 13 year olds and they need to have a 'STEM passion.' Am I dreaming this? Can adults be so craven they are demanding the kids already in the top 5% of all students in the County play Academic Hunger Games to get into a High School? It begs the question what kind of a hell will it be if they do get in? May the odds ever be in your favor...

Posted by: GMU Prof ()
Date: October 05, 2015 08:27PM

80% of the TJ kids are sharper than 80% of the PhD candidates at GMU. If your little Timmy or Buffy can't hang with the smart kids, is that TJ's problem or a problem with other kids and their parents? Should motivated kids be held back by the lazy? Only a "trophy-for-everyone" liberal could have a problem with TJ's admission policies.

Posted by: why at 14 ()
Date: October 05, 2015 09:21PM

GMU Prof Wrote:
> 80% of the TJ kids are sharper than 80% of the PhD
> candidates at GMU. If your little Timmy or Buffy
> can't hang with the smart kids, is that TJ's
> problem or a problem with other kids and their
> parents? Should motivated kids be held back by
> the lazy? Only a "trophy-for-everyone" liberal
> could have a problem with TJ's admission policies.

That is the thing - he can hang with them and he does it without any tutoring or test training. Its just a matter of why at 14?

Posted by: Bottom Line ()
Date: October 05, 2015 10:16PM

If your kid is very sharp, curious, motivated, and perhaps bored to death by the pace of classes that cater to the average or somewhat above-average kids, TJ is definitely worth considering.

Posted by: vncje ()
Date: October 06, 2015 07:31AM

IM guessing about 25%-40% of the kids genuinely want to go the rest are pushed by Asian parents. No choice. You apply, you get in you go. My son want so to apply to 'have the option' but I hope he doesnt go - life is too short.

I dont know if they do this but to me it looks like TJ students should basically get min 2 years college credit if not more. Basically they are doing Jr. Sr. college level math, science and engineering by senior year.

Too many kids are being forced into a meat grinder hear. That is why it is 2/3 Asian there its mostly about parents pushing their teens into college 3/4 years early.

Posted by: charge $90.00 ()
Date: October 07, 2015 08:13AM

WHy do they charge $90.00 to apply to a public school???

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.