HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Hooes Road
Date: June 05, 2009 11:22AM

Do you pronounce it "Whose" road or "hoe's" road? I've found real locals call it "hoe's" road...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hooes Road
Posted by: scottydfl422 ()
Date: June 05, 2009 11:24AM

"Who's" is the correct pronunciation

Posted by: Whose ()
Date: June 05, 2009 11:39AM

I use it every day to get to work. We always pronounce it "Whose"

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 05, 2009 11:50AM

I was told by a cop it's Hoo-E's road....

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: June 05, 2009 11:59AM

Does Cindy Lou Who live on Hooes Road?

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 05, 2009 12:01PM

Hooes on first?

Posted by: BagODonuts ()
Date: June 05, 2009 01:34PM

hose...not whose

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: June 05, 2009 02:41PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2009 02:41PM by pgens.

Date: June 05, 2009 02:41PM

I have lived in the area almost all my life, and never have I heard anyone pronounce it "hose road," always "whose"/"hoos"

Posted by: Price ()
Date: June 05, 2009 03:38PM

Speaking of Hoose Rd, why couldn't they put a sidewalk at least on one side during the expansion work few years ago? Give the stretch b/w Furnace and 123 is only few hundred feet, it wouldn't cost much.

Posted by: Wes T. Springfield ()
Date: June 05, 2009 10:33PM

Locals call it Hose, it is often mispronounced as Hooz. I have it on good authority (from a now-deceased Fairfax County native, age 80+), that the family for which the road is named said their last names as "Hose."

Posted by: hey ()
Date: June 05, 2009 10:38PM

Everybody i know from the fairfax circle area calls it HOES. I think if it was Whose it would not be hooes? You need a W to make a W sound..

Posted by: tcf ()
Date: June 11, 2009 01:28AM

In the 35 years I've lived here I've always heard it as 'whose' road. Never have I heard anyone suggest it as any different until this thread. Even my grandparents called it "whose" and they've been here all their lives. I think my little world would be turned upside down if it was something like 'hose.'

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: June 11, 2009 10:57AM

hey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Everybody i know from the fairfax circle area
> calls it HOES. I think if it was Whose it would
> not be hooes? You need a W to make a W sound..

you seriously don't know how to pronounce whose?

Date: June 11, 2009 12:11PM

lol. Anyway, when listening to the police scanner the other night the dispatcher always pronounced it "whose" road, as in rhymes with "booze."

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: June 11, 2009 02:45PM

tcf Wrote:
> In the 35 years I've lived here I've always heard
> it as 'whose' road. Never have I heard anyone
> suggest it as any different until this thread.
> Even my grandparents called it "whose" and they've
> been here all their lives. I think my little world
> would be turned upside down if it was something
> like 'hose.'

I've lived here even longer and it's always been 'whose'. Only hoes pronounce it "hose".

Posted by: hmmm ()
Date: June 11, 2009 03:03PM

i had a friend with me from out of town once and she pronounced it as "who-E's" road, i was lke WTF

Posted by: Al ()
Date: July 01, 2009 10:06PM

Growing up here I heard it pronounced both ways but more hooz. Older folks that have been in that area pronounce it hose but the modern day pronounciation is hooz.

Posted by: TheMaster ()
Date: July 02, 2009 02:15AM

What about Syndenstryker or whatever it is by 7100 near hooes rd

Posted by: scottydfl422 ()
Date: July 11, 2009 08:16PM

SI-DEN-STRICK-ER

Posted by: DUDE ()
Date: July 11, 2009 10:38PM

You've got hoe's road AND Pope's Head...

Posted by: Steve ()
Date: July 30, 2009 04:00PM

It's 'HOSE'. It is named for a family, as has been stated above. 35 years ago things were already changing, and newcomers mispronounced it 'WHOs'. There are way more transplants/carpetbaggers now than those descended from the folks who named roads and towns; the old pronunciations are drowned out. As for the police, they've been outsiders for many years now - at least since the late 70s - as housing prices pushed locals out of the department.

Posted by: Zombie Dr ()
Date: July 30, 2009 04:16PM

We don't love them hooes

Posted by: illeagle ()
Date: July 30, 2009 04:53PM

Whooose rooooad?

Ruuun's roooooad

Whooose rooooad?

Ruuun's rooooad

Posted by: illeagle ()
Date: July 30, 2009 04:56PM

my personal favorites:

Backlick
Frying Pan
Pohick

Posted by: HOES, not whos ()
Date: July 30, 2009 08:54PM

Hoes is the original pronounciation. But you almost have to say it wrong to have people understand what you're talking about anymore. Many of the long established families in the Lorton area still call it Hoes today. Some of them take pride in correcting people - like the poster above mentioned, everybody else is pretty much a carpetbagger.

In contrast to the other posters, I've been here since 1987 (22 years), and I've heard it pronounced Hoes (and have been corrected when I refused to say it like that...it's much more uncomfortable) many, many times.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 30, 2009 09:48PM

I've lived here 30 years... called it hoo-eez (incorrectly apparently) for all that time... am I a carpetbagger? I never really lived anywhere else.

Posted by: Huntington ()
Date: July 30, 2009 10:44PM

I grew up off Hooes Rd (1979 - 1988), I was told the same, originally pronounced hose for a local family but it slowly became "whose" because of all the new people mispronouncing it.

Posted by: scotty ()
Date: July 31, 2009 09:32AM

I believe the Hooes family was a wealthy family with connections in Old Alexandria. I want to find out more about them, their history and if they had an estate on Hooes road and where it might have been. Does anybody know?

Oh, by the way Cindy Lou was a Ho. I know, I dated her.

Posted by: Bonfire ()
Date: July 31, 2009 09:36AM

Huntington Wrote:
> I grew up off Hooes Rd (1979 - 1988), I was told
> the same, originally pronounced hose for a local
> family but it slowly became "whose" because of all
> the new people mispronouncing it.

Where at? Reason I ask is because I grew up right by the old mobil and 7-11 that was there. Were you on that side or on dead mans curve side

Date: July 31, 2009 10:59AM

On Scarborough Street, I remember that old Mobil and 7-11, remember the old vacant house that was next door for awhile? They used it for haunted houses at Halloween a couple of years.

Date: July 31, 2009 11:25AM

Yes I do remember Scarborough. I was 16 at the time in 86 and worked at that Gas station for a summer job in high school. Yes I do remember that big pink house. Oh yeah. As a matter of fact, I rented a house on Hooes. From Scarborough, you would take a right. then start going down the hill on Hooes, about halfway down the hill was a house sank back in the trees. it was still there when they built those townhomes with the Gazeebo next to the road. that thing stood right next to my driveway. Had a full size pool in it too. I bought a CB radio in 86 from a guy that lived in Scarborough and, here is sort of a loser thing,,,, I used to hang out at that 7-11 with my other dorky friends, cause there was nothing else to do. Used to walk up Gambrill. Also lived on Vogels way

Date: July 31, 2009 12:04PM

I know the house you are talking about, small world. I wonder who it was that sold you the CB, we knew everyone on our street (Scarborough). Yeah, we used to hang at the 7-11, sneak behind it and smoke cigarettes on the path. I ended up working at the new gas staion after the parkway went in, John Warner owned it and the old station you worked at.

Date: August 04, 2009 03:57PM

No shit!! John Warner, and manager bill. If you worked at the new one you probably know Mike Veht the mechanic. Blonde dude. I thought Rick Kirtley owned the new station. Maybe John sold it to him. I worked for rick at Backlick mobil

Posted by: FFV ()
Date: September 06, 2009 12:55PM

My maiden name is Hooe. It is pronounced Hoe. Rice Hooe had a tanyard on the Occoquan in the 1700's and that is where Hooe's Road went. There is still a road called Tanyard Hill right off of Old Bridge Road in Prince William County. Yes, it is a very old Virginia name and, yes, carpetbaggers have corrupted it and now argue with you about the correct pronunciation.

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: September 06, 2010 10:20PM

­

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 05:33PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: DanaH ()
Date: April 07, 2011 10:53PM

My last name is Hooe. I found some very old papers in my baby book that had a map with Hooes Rd on it. It said my grandfather was born there and lived there. I didn't know of it before this. Would you mind sharing your info with me?

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 08, 2011 08:55AM

FFV Wrote:
> My maiden name is Hooe.

I'm sorry, but that's got me cracking up - best quote I think I've ever read on this site

:)

seriously though, I am fascinated with all this county history. The old Fairfax Station weekly did a story on the Hooes naming like 15-20 years ago called "Hooes Road is it Anyways" basically saying the what you confirm, that the name was gentrified for all the newcomers, pretty much

Posted by: Bill ()
Date: July 05, 2011 01:22PM

Hooe is a Dutch name... find a Dutchman to get the proper pronunciation and there you are. Havings said that, the name has morphed into Hooes (whose) for the modern American english speaker, and I am rather sure that it will remain as such trough the lifetimes of the people posting this in the early 21st century and those of of our great grandchildren.

Times change. Names change.

Posted by: JimMac ()
Date: March 29, 2013 01:04AM

Some history here: Early Fairfax County area maps from about 1850 of the area around present-day Accotink Bluff Estates that borders Hooes Road (near Greenspring Retirement Community off the Franconia-Springfield Parkway) show a Ruug's Mill on Hoe's Road (as Hooes Road was spelled on the map) at Accotink Creek. A map by Lieutenant Colonel F.F. Mead, 16th New York Volunteers, dated 30 August 1861, shows that same mill by the name of Bone Mill. The mill at one time was owned by the Robert E. Lee family. Hoe's (Hooes) Road extended from the Springfield area to Hooe's Ferry at the Occoquan River. The ferry was established in 1791 and was owned and operated by Colonel John Hooe of Prince William County. Hooes Road was built to provide direct access to his ferry. The family name is pronounced like "Hoe," and the name "Hooes" is possessive. It would have been cleaner if they'd put in an apostrope (Hooe's) in the name, but they did not. The "really correct" pronounciation rhymes with the word HOE. But... hey... you say toe-maa-toe, I say toe-may-toe.

see what I did there? :)
Date: March 29, 2013 08:31AM

thanks for that - I always wondered Hooes Road is was LoLz

Anyways, Hooes started out where 289 hits Backlick at the fire station there................. or at least it did up until they started builiding the parkway lol. I think the ferry road part of Hooes going to Occquaquan is still there. I think it may be that little bit of road that used to be old 123 that's on the right as you head down the hill right before you get the bridge over out there. I may be wrong though..............

Posted by: KJ ()
Date: March 29, 2013 09:15AM

I have always heard it pronounced "whose." I've always thought it looked like it should be pronounced similarly to "goose" or how Groundskeeper Willie would pronounce "house."

The only person I ever heard pronounce it "hose" was my Driver's Ed instructor. He insisted it was "hose" because, and I qoute, "that's where all the hoes used to hang out." Good times.

Regardless, I have always used the "whose" variant.

Posted by: History Dude ()
Date: March 29, 2013 09:49AM

There is a Hooe family cemetery at the Manassas battlefield and the ruins of a farmhouse destroyed during the Second Battle of Manassas owned by the family. Mayfield Park in Manassas was the site of a Confederate fort set up on farmland owned by a John Hooe.

Paris Hilton is a descendant of the original Hooes (as well as George Mason).
Attachments:
Mayfield Fort 048.JPG

Posted by: RydellRoad ()
Date: March 29, 2013 11:04AM

One I am still trying to figure out is Machen Road in Centreville.

Is it : maych'un or make'un or mock'un

I say maych'un.

Posted by: Thucydides ()
Date: March 30, 2013 09:57PM

If derived from German, it would be mah-kin

Posted by: Lorton 1 ()
Date: April 01, 2013 03:10PM

It's HOSE. It was named after the Hooe family and they pronounced their name Hoe.

Re: see what I did there? :)
Date: April 01, 2013 03:15PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> thanks for that - I always wondered Hooes Road is
> was LoLz
>
> Anyways, Hooes started out where 289 hits Backlick
> at the fire station there................. or at
> least it did up until they started builiding the
> parkway lol. I think the ferry road part of Hooes
> going to Occquaquan is still there. I think it
> may be that little bit of road that used to be old
> 123 that's on the right as you head down the hill
> right before you get the bridge over out there. I
> may be wrong though..............

I found out today I was right about that little bit of road being old 123. Heres a pic of the 123 bridge that used to cross there being washed away in 1972
Attachments:
7790637830_f4bb4a16a5_b.jpg

Posted by: Now and Then ()
Date: April 01, 2013 03:50PM

Imagine that family growing up in the county today. All the women in the family are Hoes. LOL

Posted by: AlexandraBarger ()
Date: October 15, 2014 12:03AM

It is pronounced Hoes. I know because my grandma is Sandra Hooe, great granddaughter of this John Hooe. I have more info on this family tree if you would like it as mentioned above.

Posted by: The Final Word ()
Date: October 15, 2014 01:02AM

AlexandraBarger Wrote:
> It is pronounced Hoes.

^ She's right. But pronunciations change over time, and what the road is called now is 'Whose Road'.

Posted by: AlexandraBarger ()
Date: October 15, 2014 12:07PM

Yes, I was referring to the original pronunciation of the last name :)

Posted by: Morrie ()
Date: December 09, 2014 12:31PM

Look at the spelling on this 1874 map that was posted on the "I Remember Springfield When" Facebook group. It shows Hoes Road. When was the extra "o" added?
Attachments:
Hoes Road.php.html

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.