HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Shocker- Reston Bicyclist Killed - Can I Assume This Bicyclist Ignored All Traffic Signs and Signals Too? When are they going to get ticketed?
Posted by: Not Surprised ()
Date: September 02, 2015 09:16AM

Once again we see a bicyclist killed in Reston. These fucker are all over the roads in Reston and NEVER follow or obey traffic signs. There really needs to be more action by FFX county police to ticket these fuckers!

I'm surprised more aren't killed by the way they blantently ignore and run stop signs and traffic signals.

A 38-year-old man died in Reston Hospital Center Monday evening after he was struck by an SUV while riding his bicycle in Herndon.

The victim’s identity has not been released at this time as his next of kin has yet to be reached.

A preliminary investigation by detectives with Fairfax County Police’s Crash Reconstruction Unit determined the crash took place at approximately 8 p.m. Monday evening.

The victim and another man were riding their bikes northbound on Sunrise Valley Drive near Coppermine Road in Herndon when the victim was struck by a 2014 Chevrolet Suburban SUV from behind.

The cyclists were not wearing reflective clothing nor were they shining lights from their bikes to indicate their presence on the road, investigators reported.

The driver of the SUV is a 29-year-old Fairfax resident who remained on the scene following the crash. Speed and alcohol do not appear to be factors in this crash, investigators stated.

Anyone with information regarding this crash is asked to contact Crime Solvers by either visiting their website here, by texting “TIP187” plus your message to CRIMES(274637)**, or by calling 1-866-411-TIPS(8477).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shocker- Reston Bicyclist Killed - Can I Assume This Bicyclist Ignored All Traffic Signs and Signals Too? When are they going to get ticketed?
Posted by: mjs ()
Date: September 02, 2015 09:29AM

no vests, no lights... hard to see them beaners when they are on their bikes at night

Re: Shocker- Reston Bicyclist Killed - Can I Assume This Bicyclist Ignored All Traffic Signs and Signals Too? When are they going to get ticketed?
Posted by: Let's get real... ()
Date: September 02, 2015 09:42AM

Like school buses, bicycles are part of normal traffic flow along many NoVa roadways. All of us need to watch out for both of them. But school buses invariably have bright colors and lights to warn nearby drivers of their presence. And they typically obey the rules of the road. Bicyclists who do neither of those things are simply creating needless risk for themselves and for the drivers who will ultimately hit them. Perhaps it will take heavy fines and some extended period of vigorous enforcement before cyclists take such matters to heart. Or perhaps we need to bring down the same sorts of licensing and insurance regulations on bicyclists that operators of other roadway vehicles must comply with. The status quo is not working very well, and things are only getting worse out there for everyone.

Posted by: Correct Sir! ()
Date: September 02, 2015 09:47AM

Let's get real... Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps it will
> take heavy fines and some extended period of
> vigorous enforcement before cyclists take such
> matters to heart. Or perhaps we need to bring
> down the same sorts of licensing and insurance
> regulations on bicyclists that operators of other
> roadway vehicles must comply with.

YES! AMEN BROTHER!

Posted by: bad drivers galore ()
Date: September 02, 2015 10:04AM

It's still pretty light at 8 pm. Twilight is very difficult time to see. Sunrise runs east to west. Driving into the sunset is going to make it hard to see a rider. Driver was probably on the phone and drove too fast around the curve.

Posted by: Tickets Please ()
Date: September 02, 2015 10:14AM

What curve? That's a four lane section of Sunrise Valley that is straight by Coppermine.

This bicyclist was most likely all over the road and cut the SUV off.

I routinely see the Reston Bicycle Club group blow through stop signs and traffic signals at intersections like the signs don't even exist. They're on bicycles so the rules of the road don't apply to them apparently.

Posted by: 20 min after sunset ()
Date: September 02, 2015 11:02AM

This is a well lit area and sunset was at 738pm so it was only 20min after that. It was not a dark country road in the woods we are talking a well lit 3 lane modern road. see here https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9541541,-77.4257141,3a,75y,195.35h,69.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scH3vxs0-eFCcoleU7iHJxg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

How did the fuckwhit with the 6000 lb vehicle kill someone on a bicycle? Blaming the cyclist because he had no light or vest is fine but its mostly BS. If it had been a person in the road without a vest or light killing them would be fine too? Nope.

The bike guy is dead. The texting douchebag that cannot keep from crushing humans in lighted road 20 min after sunset will drive slower now. Too late for an entire family living without their loved one...

Posted by: one less biker, yey! ()
Date: September 02, 2015 11:04AM

Is the Suburban okay? Hopefully he didn't scratch or get any blood on the Chevy emblem.

Date: September 02, 2015 11:06AM

20 min after sunset Wrote:

> How did the fuckwhit with the 6000 lb vehicle kill
> someone on a bicycle? Blaming the cyclist because
> he had no light or vest is fine but its mostly BS.

Found the asshole bicyclist!

> If it had been a person in the road without a
> vest or light killing them would be fine too?
> Nope.

It's never fine. But it is understandable.

> The texting douchebag

Source?

Posted by: Texting While Driving ()
Date: September 02, 2015 11:13AM

Jared from Subway Wrote:
> 20 min after sunset Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > How did the fuckwhit with the 6000 lb vehicle
> kill
> > someone on a bicycle? Blaming the cyclist
> because
> > he had no light or vest is fine but its mostly
> BS.
>
> Found the asshole bicyclist!
>
> > If it had been a person in the road without a
> > vest or light killing them would be fine too?
> > Nope.
>
> It's never fine. But it is understandable.
>
> > The texting douchebag
>
> Source?

Almost all drivers text these days, or fiddle with GPS or check Facebook. Take a look at other drivers next time you are on the road. Distracted driving is a thing. Self-driving cars can't get here soon enough

Posted by: lets be honest ()
Date: September 02, 2015 11:16AM

Jared from Subway Wrote:
> 20 min after sunset Wrote:
> -----
>
> > How did the fuckwhit with the 6000 lb vehicle
> kill
> > someone on a bicycle? Blaming the cyclist
> because
> > he had no light or vest is fine but its mostly
> BS.
>
> Found the asshole bicyclist!
>
> > If it had been a person in the road without a
> > vest or light killing them would be fine too?
> > Nope.
>
> It's never fine. But it is understandable.
>
> > The texting douchebag
>
> Source?

Come on - lets be honest for a minute here. Have you ever struck a person in the road? No, me neither. Even if the cyclist pulled out in front of the car there, with all that room it would be hard to kill someone in the road unless you just were not paying attention. Kids run out, dogs run out and yes cyclists can dart out into traffic. You want to be right and kill people just blame the humans without 6000 lbs of steel. You want to be a decent human and try to live in a world where very powerful vehicles and soft squishable humans live just slow down and pay attention to the road.

And yes Ill bet the executioner was distracted by electronics in the vehicle - everyone is these days.

Posted by: Fig Newtonian ()
Date: September 02, 2015 11:18AM

Physics +1
Driver 0
Cyclist -1

Posted by: PChww ()
Date: September 02, 2015 03:23PM

Cyclist is dead, this is a tragedy.

However, the Cyclist need to take extra precautions: helmets, lights, reflectors, common sense. Sorry but this is the way it is. The roads are build for cars a trucks, rarely is there a bike lane and even if there is, it often is not continuous.

I also see these asshat Cyclist believe that the rules of the road do not pertain to them. Run stop signs, stop lights, cut lanes, ride between cars and so forth.

Interesting how these same Cyclist likely pay attention to the rules when they are driving in a vehicle, however, when they are on their bike they determine the rules do not apply to them.

I drive on a lot of state routes in both MD and VA. All too often these Cyclist clowns are riding on roads that are not even good enough for the daily vehicle traffic. Narrow lanes, hills, curves, pot holes, little to no lighting.

Again, the Cyclist is dead, not blaming it on him 100%, but when you are going to play in the big kid playground, you need to have all the protection and visibility items as you can.

I see the new LED strobes that you can see for a LONG way even in full daylight, I think these should be MANDATORY for both bicycles and maybe even motor cycles.

The Cyclist (Bi and Motor) need all the edge they can get in this area with the crazy, aggressive traffic.

Posted by: iLester ()
Date: September 02, 2015 03:33PM

Dulles Corner is a pretty empty area most of the time. It's mostly office park and a couple of remote apartment complexes. Traffic is mostly sparse except for people trying to avoid the Toll Road to get to and from 28. There's a lot of construction with the metro coming there.

Posted by: never jogged or ridden ()
Date: September 02, 2015 03:37PM

PChww Wrote:
> Cyclist is dead, this is a tragedy.
>
> However, the Cyclist need to take extra
> precautions: helmets, lights, reflectors, common
> sense. Sorry but this is the way it is. The roads
> are build for cars a trucks, rarely is there a
> bike lane and even if there is, it often is not
> continuous.
>
> I also see these asshat Cyclist believe that the
> rules of the road do not pertain to them. Run stop
> signs, stop lights, cut lanes, ride between cars
> and so forth.
>
> Interesting how these same Cyclist likely pay
> attention to the rules when they are driving in a
> vehicle, however, when they are on their bike they
> determine the rules do not apply to them.
>
> I drive on a lot of state routes in both MD and
> VA. All too often these Cyclist clowns are riding
> on roads that are not even good enough for the
> daily vehicle traffic. Narrow lanes, hills,
> curves, pot holes, little to no lighting.
>
> Again, the Cyclist is dead, not blaming it on him
> 100%, but when you are going to play in the big
> kid playground, you need to have all the
> protection and visibility items as you can.
>
> I see the new LED strobes that you can see for a
> LONG way even in full daylight, I think these
> should be MANDATORY for both bicycles and maybe
> even motor cycles.
>
> The Cyclist (Bi and Motor) need all the edge they
> can get in this area with the crazy, aggressive
> traffic.

"All too often these Cyclist clowns are riding
on roads that are not even good enough for the
daily vehicle traffic" I love reading all the comments from fat slobs that have never jogged or ridden on a road in their lives. True some of us will be hit by cars but ALL of you assholes will die of heart disease years before your time. Oh and if you are so inattentive that you hit people in the road (regardless of if they are kids, or cyclists or old ladies) are going to kill or injure yourselves in crashes anyway.

Posted by: 4NmFW ()
Date: September 02, 2015 03:41PM

20 min after sunset Wrote:
> This is a well lit area and sunset was at 738pm so
> it was only 20min after that. It was not a dark
> country road in the woods we are talking a well
> lit 3 lane modern road. see here
> https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9541541,-77.425714
> 1,3a,75y,195.35h,69.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scH3vxs
> 0-eFCcoleU7iHJxg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
>
> How did the fuckwhit with the 6000 lb vehicle kill
> someone on a bicycle? Blaming the cyclist because
> he had no light or vest is fine but its mostly BS.
> If it had been a person in the road without a
> vest or light killing them would be fine too?
> Nope.
>
> The bike guy is dead. The texting douchebag that
> cannot keep from crushing humans in lighted road
> 20 min after sunset will drive slower now. Too
> late for an entire family living without their
> loved one...

Interestingly enough if you look at the google street view (TM) there is a pedestrian in the Southbound lane - guess he should die for being in the road too...

Posted by: Beep Beep youre dead ()
Date: September 02, 2015 03:45PM

Anyone who would dare to ride a bike in this area with it's abundance of incompetent distracted maniacs behind the wheel is asking to get splattered, only a matter of time.

In Florida there are bike paths alongside almost every road. And believe me, Florida is the home of crazy driver and old farts who think they can still see.

Posted by: Terror on two wheels ()
Date: September 02, 2015 03:55PM

lets be honest Wrote:
> Come on - lets be honest for a minute here. Have
> you ever struck a person in the road?

No, but I've been run into by imbecile cyclists assuming contrary to a fucking traffic light that they had the right of way. If you want honesty, let's face it -- the truth is that bikers are the biggest fucking bunch of law-breakers on the road. 80-year old Asian women with diplomatic tags drive better than the average fucking biker. Biker assholes need to pick up their game if they want to survive. It's as simple as that.

Posted by: RERALI ()
Date: September 02, 2015 04:29PM

The cyclist run all the stopsigns, never stop at traffic lights and fly thru intersections. Then when a cyclist get killed they blame the motorist every time.

HEY BICYCLISTS! OBEY THE STOP SIGNS AND TRAFFIC LIGHTS!

Posted by: interesting story ()
Date: September 02, 2015 04:30PM

Terror on two wheels Wrote:
> lets be honest Wrote:
> -----
> > Come on - lets be honest for a minute here.
> Have
> > you ever struck a person in the road?
>
> No, but I've been run into by imbecile cyclists
> assuming contrary to a fucking traffic light that
> they had the right of way. If you want honesty,
> let's face it -- the truth is that bikers are the
> biggest fucking bunch of law-breakers on the road.
> 80-year old Asian women with diplomatic tags
> drive better than the average fucking biker.
> Biker assholes need to pick up their game if they
> want to survive. It's as simple as that.

Sounds like an interesting story -'cyclists' ran into you. The vast majority of us are much more aware and have better reflexes than you sir. We dont get hit by or hit pedestrians or bike riders. Sorry you are such a bad driver.

Posted by: Kiddie Bikers ()
Date: September 02, 2015 04:34PM

interesting story Wrote:
> Terror on two wheels Wrote:
> -----
> > lets be honest Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Come on - lets be honest for a minute here.
> > Have
> > > you ever struck a person in the road?
> >
> > No, but I've been run into by imbecile cyclists
> > assuming contrary to a fucking traffic light
> that
> > they had the right of way. If you want
> honesty,
> > let's face it -- the truth is that bikers are
> the
> > biggest fucking bunch of law-breakers on the
> road.
> > 80-year old Asian women with diplomatic tags
> > drive better than the average fucking biker.
> > Biker assholes need to pick up their game if
> they
> > want to survive. It's as simple as that.
>
> Sounds like an interesting story -'cyclists' ran
> into you. The vast majority of us are much more
> aware and have better reflexes than you sir. We
> dont get hit by or hit pedestrians or bike riders.
> Sorry you are such a bad driver.

If you "cyclist" have such good reflexs and vision how is it 90% of you can't see stopsigns and stop them?

It's the law in VA to stop for stopsigns and traffic lights! You respect on the road then stop acting like a bunch elementary school kids when your riding.

Posted by: Red Signs with Letters ()
Date: September 02, 2015 04:38PM

IN case you didn't know. These are what stopsigns look like in Fairfax county. You must come a COMPLETE stop!
Attachments:
stopsigne.jpg

Posted by: 9GNwx ()
Date: September 02, 2015 04:39PM

never jogged or ridden Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> "All too often these Cyclist clowns are riding
> on roads that are not even good enough for the
> daily vehicle traffic" I love reading all the
> comments from fat slobs that have never jogged or
> ridden on a road in their lives. True some of us
> will be hit by cars but ALL of you assholes will
> die of heart disease years before your time. Oh
> and if you are so inattentive that you hit people
> in the road (regardless of if they are kids, or
> cyclists or old ladies) are going to kill or
> injure yourselves in crashes anyway.

Case in point genius, WTF do these cyclist think is going to happen when they ride on Georgetown Pike or River Road?

Choose your routes wisely and stay off the roads that are not even safe for vehicles!

BTW, I live very near a lot of parkland along the River, daily walks for 3+ miles with the dog and when I do ride bikes, typically W&OD or Tow Path or other smart places to ride.

Posted by: VyC7X ()
Date: September 02, 2015 04:45PM

Kiddie Bikers Wrote:
> If you "cyclist" have such good reflexs and vision
> how is it 90% of you can't see stopsigns and stop
> them?
>
> It's the law in VA to stop for stopsigns and
> traffic lights! You respect on the road then stop
> acting like a bunch elementary school kids when
> your riding.

Arrogant cyclist that think the world revolves around them. The rules, street signs, traffic lights, lane markings do not apply to them. They are such selfish bastards.

Oh, they do not want to have to stop, they have their toe clips, or just do not want to loose momentum.

Same goes for the selfish joggers that refuse to jog on the sidewalk, but in the main portion of the roadway. I deal with 3 clowns all the time that run side by side taking up the entire traffic lane. What a bunch of selfish ass wipes.

The joggers also never stop for traffic lights or crossings, heaven forbid they have to job in place or turn around and jog back where they just came from for a few moments.

If you have ever been on the Tow Path near Great Falls where the stupid cyclist come through on the weekends at 30+ MPH and expect the walkers, kids and dogs to clear the way for them. Just slow it down for a few miles, you have another hundred miles where you will barely see anyone walking.

Posted by: Realism ()
Date: September 02, 2015 04:47PM

> never jogged or ridden Wrote:
> ----
> > "All too often these Cyclist clowns are riding
> > on roads that are not even good enough for the
> > daily vehicle traffic" I love reading all the
> > comments from fat slobs that have never jogged
> or
> > ridden on a road in their lives. True some of
> us
> > will be hit by cars but ALL of you assholes
> will
> > die of heart disease years before your time.
> Oh
> > and if you are so inattentive that you hit
> people
> > in the road (regardless of if they are kids, or
> > cyclists or old ladies) are going to kill or
> > injure yourselves in crashes anyway.

I, too, jog, hike and go to the gym. On some weekends I hike or jog over 5+. I grew up riding my bike all over the trails around NOVA. I still ride the W&O.

I'll let you on a little secret too. When people see you riding around on the streets 95% say "Oh Christ here's some idiot bicyclist I have to deal with."

The other 5% are bicyclists saying "This idiot has the wrong bike and gear."

In general NOBODY wants to see a bicyclist on the main roads.

Posted by: Grammar policey ()
Date: September 02, 2015 05:59PM

Grammar police "No, but I've been run into by imbecile cyclists" This means more than one cyclist has hit you. He or she may have been one of the 'imbecile cyclists' you detest but if only one cyclist hit you its 'I've been run into by one of the imbecile cyclists.

Posted by: kill a kid ()
Date: September 02, 2015 06:07PM

Basic fact is you can kill pretty much anyone with your vehicle and the penalty is minor. Get caught with a few ounces of weed and you are looking at a decade in jail. Kill someone cyclist, pedestrian or another driver and you would be rare for you to get 5 years if your were drunk.

We all need to get where we are going in our cars fast and that is the way the laws are written. I ride and try to stay off any road with any traffic. Mostly in subdivisions. It sucks but why orphan my kids? Drivers dont know about bikes or people in the road and the really dont care.

You could kill a kid or rider at 5pm in the evening and be home for a late supper and never see a court house. In the US cars own the road and your life if you are on or near the road.

Posted by: Sonny Drysdale ()
Date: September 02, 2015 06:11PM

I heard on weekends cops go to Crestview in Herndon and try to teach cyclists what the stop sign means.

Posted by: TKJMP ()
Date: September 02, 2015 06:16PM

kill a kid Wrote:
> Basic fact is you can kill pretty much anyone with
> your vehicle and the penalty is minor.

Generally, when you haven't done anything wrong, you dont go to jail. 9 times out of 10 bike riders are the at fault party.

Posted by: Grammar Police CRB ()
Date: September 02, 2015 06:27PM

Grammar policey Wrote:
> Grammar police "No, but I've been run into by
> imbecile cyclists" This means more than one
> cyclist has hit you. He or she may have been one
> of the 'imbecile cyclists' you detest but if only
> one cyclist hit you its 'I've been run into by one
> of the imbecile cyclists.

Did you not notice the use of "they" in that post?

Posted by: nVXLN ()
Date: September 02, 2015 06:35PM

Grammar Police CRB Wrote:
> Grammar policey Wrote:
> -----
> > Grammar police "No, but I've been run into by
> > imbecile cyclists" This means more than one
> > cyclist has hit you. He or she may have been
> one
> > of the 'imbecile cyclists' you detest but if
> only
> > one cyclist hit you its 'I've been run into by
> one
> > of the imbecile cyclists.
>
> Did you not notice the use of "they" in that post?

How many of them hit you?

Posted by: exactly! ()
Date: September 02, 2015 06:36PM

one less biker, yey! Wrote:
> Is the Suburban okay? Hopefully he didn't scratch
> or get any blood on the Chevy emblem.

I hear you man. I fucking hate cyclists with a passion and would do anything to screw them over, without violating the law of course.

When a cyclist gets killed or seriously injured baby jesus in heaven laughs and smiles.

Posted by: Terror on two wheels ()
Date: September 02, 2015 06:37PM

interesting story Wrote:
> Sounds like an interesting story -'cyclists' ran
> into you. The vast majority of us are much more
> aware and have better reflexes than you sir. We
> dont get hit by or hit pedestrians or bike riders.
> Sorry you are such a bad driver.

The investigating officers had it exactly the opposite from you, noting that I had done everything properly, while the cyclists had violated the rules of right of way as established by a functioning traffic signal. Maybe go take some spandex to the dry cleaners, skinny-tires, and maybe try knowing and observing the rules of the road the next time you go out and try to pedal yourself around.

Posted by: Grammar Police CRB ()
Date: September 02, 2015 06:42PM

nVXLN Wrote:
> How many of them hit you?

You STILL have to ask? Turn in your badge, cadet. You have washed out. You have no future with the grammar police.

Posted by: Oswald ()
Date: September 02, 2015 11:23PM

The cyclist was actually a lifeguard who just finished his duty that day and was just on his way home.

For those who care below is the fundme page to support his family.

http://www.gofundme.com/t539ghjk

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: September 02, 2015 11:51PM

exactly! Wrote:
> one less biker, yey! Wrote:
> -----
> > Is the Suburban okay? Hopefully he didn't
> scratch
> > or get any blood on the Chevy emblem.
>
>
> I hear you man. I fucking hate cyclists with a
> passion and would do anything to screw them over,
> without violating the law of course.
>
> When a cyclist gets killed or seriously injured
> baby jesus in heaven laughs and smiles.

Someone should divulge your identity in order to revoke your license to drive; or just put you in jail. You should not be around other people.

Posted by: e94JF ()
Date: September 03, 2015 07:47AM

Andrew Gooden passed away Monday, August 31, 2015 after being struck by a car .
Andrew leaves behind his wife Deniece, 2 children with a baby due to be born in October.

Right or wrong the guy in the Suburban has to live with this the rest of his life. I am not saying whose fault this may have been but caring for others on the road is not a selfless act. Being alert, driving defensively could prevent your involvement in a tragedy like this one.

Posted by: Dimwit ()
Date: September 03, 2015 07:51PM

Stop looking a your phone when driving.
Please do yourself that favor

Posted by: Sonny Drysdale ()
Date: September 03, 2015 08:05PM

e94JF Wrote:
> Andrew Gooden passed away Monday, August 31, 2015
> after being struck by a car .
> Andrew leaves behind his wife Deniece, 2 children
> with a baby due to be born in October.
>
> Right or wrong the guy in the Suburban has to live
> with this the rest of his life. I am not saying
> whose fault this may have been but caring for
> others on the road is not a selfless act. Being
> alert, driving defensively could prevent your
> involvement in a tragedy like this one.

Oh oh. Deniece? Negro name

Posted by: Arabking ()
Date: September 03, 2015 10:15PM

People. Man is dead. Please show some humanity.

Posted by: LTkYE ()
Date: September 04, 2015 08:07AM

Posted by: iLester ()
Date: September 04, 2015 09:29AM

He's very dark. Driver may not have seen him if he was wearing dark clothing as well. Highrise buildings late in the afternoon cast shadows. Sunrise Valley in that area is a shortcut for people trying to get to Oak Hill or Reston. Cyclists normally ride single-file to avoid crowding the road, but traffic on this road should've been very light at this time of the day.

Posted by: darkskinned people blend ()
Date: September 04, 2015 10:35AM

lol yes darkskinned people blend in with the black top - really? I have been lucky I guess - driven over 700,000 miles in urban areas and never come close to hitting a pedestrian or cyclist. Again lets be honest its driver distraction like this

Driver Smashes Into Cyclist | Complains About Damage To BMW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUIWW370I1I

Posted by: Erty ()
Date: September 04, 2015 10:42AM

Sonny Drysdale Wrote:
> I heard on weekends cops go to Crestview in
> Herndon and try to teach cyclists what the stop
> sign means.

They should be commended!

Better yet, ticket those bicyclist who run stop signs.

Posted by: Nice Guy Eddie ()
Date: September 04, 2015 02:06PM

Biking sounds like a great way to get exercise until you realize it involves either dodging 4,000 lbs of steel in the street or various pedestrians and strollers on the paths.

Date: September 04, 2015 05:26PM

so glad motorist ALWAYS STOP FOR STOP SIGNS.

Get real most drivers are distracted and lousy drivers.

Then again if you drive through Herdoras at any hour you will illegals riding bikes dressed in black, in the street, sidewalks ect. All talking on obamaphones.

ITS ONE BIG DISCONNECTED WORLD ON WHEELS.

Posted by: Shockerz ()
Date: September 04, 2015 06:08PM

Shocker indeed

Posted by: 8035803 ()
Date: September 06, 2015 06:04PM

i always thought runners were the biggest douches but then i started driving around this area. they act like they're the best people inthe world and really saving the environment fuck them

Posted by: 5yyyyy45 ()
Date: September 07, 2015 08:57AM

this is sad. bikers need their own bike lanes. bikers should not be "sharing the road" with cars.

Posted by: head to toe in spandex ()
Date: September 07, 2015 05:26PM

I bike a fair amount and today a fellow biker 'took' the lane on Wakefield Chappel. Ok fine but there was ample room for him to share the lane (meaning when I ride this section I always move to the right as there is a large shoulder for me to ride on). At the light to cross braddock he keeps the lane. I usually move to the crosswalk and press the button for crossing as this is safer. There is a wide ped xing, you get a longer green by pressing the button and you get out of the way of cars.

I have to admit, on a holiday morning when there were not many cars around I wondered why he was putting his ass in danger when he could have easily avoided it. Plus its not like he was losing time or effort as he was waiting for the light. I guess for a moment I saw the arrogance many here feel riders have. And yes he was decked out head to toe in spandex...

Posted by: Pay for it ()
Date: September 08, 2015 10:35AM

5yyyyy45 Wrote:
> this is sad. bikers need their own bike lanes.
> bikers should not be "sharing the road" with cars.

Let them pay a bike tax or raise the money through their clubs. No more free stuff. We need the money to educate and medicate the illegals.

Posted by: Milburn Drysdale ()
Date: September 08, 2015 10:49AM

Sonny Drysdale Wrote:
> I heard on weekends cops go to Crestview in
> Herndon and try to teach cyclists what the stop
> sign means.

I see drivers stopping all the time when they see bicyclists stopped at a stop sign in order to let them cross the road. They're under no requirement to do so and doing so backs up the traffic. It also leaves the impression that the right-of-way designated by crosswalks, stop signs, and rules of the road are just guidelines which are merely used for personal discretion.

Posted by: Freeper ()
Date: September 08, 2015 11:25AM

Pay for it Wrote:
> 5yyyyy45 Wrote:
> -----
> > this is sad. bikers need their own bike lanes.
> > bikers should not be "sharing the road" with
> cars.
>
>
> Let them pay a bike tax or raise the money through
> their clubs. No more free stuff. We need the
> money to educate and medicate the illegals.

Except for free roads for cars. Keep building them.

Posted by: mjs ()
Date: September 08, 2015 12:02PM

yeah them cyclist pay lots of attention..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckKqYHoLJI

hero bus driver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlKlduaWRiY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L95IR9ZvPDA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZAm-57WIVc

yeah lets try to wedge ourselves bewteen a bus and a minivan and then get angry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKvNLXr_Rfk

Hmm. lets ride out bikes on an interstate and see if we are safe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hVXhg8zvkI

how about riding on a sidewalk...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swngyG-lrMQ

airmail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_EGqB5S9fU

Posted by: Pay up! ()
Date: September 08, 2015 12:08PM

Freeper Wrote:
> Pay for it Wrote:
> -----
> > 5yyyyy45 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > this is sad. bikers need their own bike
> lanes.
> > > bikers should not be "sharing the road" with
> > cars.
> >
> >
> > Let them pay a bike tax or raise the money
> through
> > their clubs. No more free stuff. We need the
> > money to educate and medicate the illegals.
>
> Except for free roads for cars. Keep building
> them.

WTF are you talking about? I carry insurance on my car and pay county taxes on it.

Why should bikes get a free ride?

Posted by: DonRitchie ()
Date: September 08, 2015 12:24PM

Cyclists need to slow down.

How about that spot on Weihl near the toll road in Reston where the bike path crosses Weihl?

Both sides of Weihl are a downward slope for the bike path and they're blind for drivers from slope and foliage. Once a week, I see a biker fly across Weihl at 25-30 mph without looking.

The worst part is, I think this is legal.

Drivers need to stop for the bike path, not the other way around.

Reston law is too bike friendly. When I was a kid, I was taught you had to walk your bike across the street. Our bike friendly laws teach bikers they own the road and bikers die.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2015 12:25PM by DonRitchie.

Bicycle-to-Work Greencard Scam by Pool Companies
Posted by: 3rd Generation ()
Date: September 08, 2015 12:32PM

I am a 3rd generation resident of Fairfax County, and would first off say, I don't hit this site as much as I use to because it is a haven for flamers (and mindless flaming like on this thread) though I have never personally been flamed or gotten in any tete-a-tetes with anyone here (as is apparently common, just witnessed other do it to others) and I don't feel it bears a good representation of my community or that I can tell people proudly I visit this site (the flaming rants on race & politics in particular are an embarrassment). I tried to find a "core" of sane people here. This is mostly addressed to them. The other ones that are jeering about a dead father of three or using it as an opportunity to blow their anti-cycling horn need not reply. We are different beings and you have nothing meaningful to say to me, so as they say "just move along" (to your next self-indulgence, porn site, or what ever).

To the occasional "core of the sane" here...

I work for a pool company which hires many internationals. I did not know Andrew Gooden, or ever meet him. That being said, I will say most of the internationals I have met & worked with, who come to work here are pretty no-nonsense straight arrows who often work 6 days a week or more (these people have work ethics that went out of style in America after the frontier days - they work holidays, weekends and often all of them, for no extra pay). The Jamaicans in particular are noticeably hard working (they are no strangers to long hours and hard work). The wrinkle which has bothered me is, these pool companies are not regulated enough in bringing internationals over here, they put them up in apartments, sometimes breaking zoning laws to do so (apartment stuffing), and locate them so they can bicycle to their pool jobs. Many internationals I have known did not own their own bike, or (on technicality) it was 'credited' to them by the company or people in the company (and sold repeated again & again, from employee to employee). And as these companies are corporate sponsor for green cards, they have a responsibility, AND ESPECIALLY since these pool companies have made a profit-making endeavor out of this - I think it should be beholden upon these pool companies to provide bikes that are properly geared out AND/OR inspect their employees bike at the beginning of the season, especially when dealing with not just strangers to our culture & city but bona fide foreigners who are often being railroaded in their jobs to doing stuff they did not sign up for. And as foreign workers do not have the recourses that you & I (as locals) may have. We all have experienced bad bosses who push the limits to anything they can get away with and that's with local people like us who have more recourse and know better.

The internationals that come here through these pool companies, do not sign up for a bicycling jobs at bad hours of the evening. (Andrew was bicycling at twilight because many pools close at that time, AND only recently as summer shortens has twilight just started coming before 8pm for the first time this summer, I noticed this at my pool where many of the auto-sensor lights went on for the first time before closing and then earlier, the deeper into August we got, it did not do this in May when the season started for Andrew). Internationals like Andrew Gooden do not decide where they live or where they work like you & I do (the pool companies who sponsor their green cards do). They do not dare decline or protest if they want to stay on and be welcomed back (as Andrew Gooden was back for his second season).

The pool company & Andrew Gooden's green card sponsor, to its own interests, has remained in the background of this story BUT I will tell you, I live within 5 minutes of Sunrise Valley & Copermine (& would love to work in one of my nearby neighborhoods) but the pool companies put me out in Prince William County because I can drive and they can have internationals bicycle locally. (and they pay me twice as much as some internationals, so I am not begrudging or complaining, just noting the irony). But this is all done so the pool company's can operate on the lowest, bottom dollar and at the expense of international workers like Andrew Gooden. They are horribly taken advantage of. As I say, I have seen international workers stuffed into apartments with two bunkbeds in every room including the family room (breaking zoning laws, and this is the corporates doing this, not greencard-renters). They are then price-gouged for their rent (even though it is being illegally reduced to less than a tenth by the apartment-stuffing they will pay a "normal" rent), price-gouged for their uniforms (I've seen internationals price-gouged $20 for a t-shirt locals would refuse to pay for, with a minimum required of 5). I can tell you it is quite the racket, they whittle these guys paychecks down to nothing like "the company stores" of old. (like the song says... "Saint Peter don't ya take me 'cause I can't go, I owe my soul to the company store"

One international worker I gave a ride to for two weeks (during the extended season of some pools in September) had previously biked to work the whole summer and had to make an appointment with a driving supervisor to go to a grocery store with a car. It was a big deal to get an appointment with a supervisor to do this once every two weeks. Because of this, when I drove him I would take him by the grocery store on the way home. This was quite a perk for him, so much so that after a while his room mates began to give him lists of stuff for him to get for them once they learned I had willingly become his "grocery store connection". At the grocery store they pay full price for everything regardless of the discount listed because they didn't know the discounts were available to them for a card for the asking. When I saw this, I told the guy please stop paying full price and use my phone number (which he already had for work) and he would get the promotion discounts. He was perplexed by this and asked me if I was sure it was "legal" and on the up-&-up for him to use my phone number. This is how timid, unobtrusive, & unknowing many international workers are. I assured him, it was completely safe, that the card is a just a promotion, and it was ok for him to use my phone number/membership card for grocery store discounts (equivalent to coupons) and that I had used an old ex-girlfriends phone number for years and no one objected even though her name would show up and I obviously wasn't a female (I eventually bothered to sign-up for my own). He was afraid he could get in trouble for impostering someone else and sent back to eastern Europe. He was completely unfamiliar & befuddled with the whole grocery store discount card schtick we go through. I bring this up to show there is a culture-shock of the simplest things, that we are completely unaware of and take for granted. And I think it is ridiculous that these pool companies are not brought to bear greater responsibility for their "sponsors". That is a legal term after all, they are literally & legally "sponsors".

We should put pressure on the pool companies who are profiting off of these absurd circumstances (ie, hiring internationls to bicycle locally, while hiring the locals to drive outwards *lol*) to make sure all their green-card sponsored employees have lights on their modes of transportation, should they have to work late, get held up late at work, or if summer starts to shorten at the end of the season. Unchecked corporates will jeopardize human life to save pennies on bicycle-to-work green card labor instead of hiring local people who know the roads and have vehicles to drive, and then just shrug it off as an unfortunate accident while making no changes. And corporates benefit from compliant workers who cannot stick up for themselves (it is why companies target internationals) and it is why we need to stick up for these people and put the pressure on the companies who are profiting off of running their businesses on bicycle-to-work green card labor. It certainly is not necessary to run their businesses on bicycle-to-work labor, it's just a way to improperly inflate profit margins by getting compliant international labor to do what American labor would not do (bicycle to work at lower wages). I have no problem with internationals working here, but we need to make sure they are taken care of by their employer and not just put in absurd situations to maintain their employment and green card (noteably like minors & railroad workers were). The pool companies have created this situation. It is a shame, and I cannot help but to wonder if it was preventable. My condolences to Andrew Gooden's wife, their 2 children, the unborn child on the way, and his other family. He was working here in not the best of circumstances, to make a better life for them... and it backfired horribly.

Re: Bicycle-to-Work Greencard Scam by Pool Companies
Posted by: editThEcLOwN ()
Date: September 09, 2015 07:29AM

You have an important message but you must learn to edit your prose. That post is far too long for a forum.

We should put pressure on the pool companies who are profiting off of these absurd circumstances (ie, hiring internationls to bicycle locally, while hiring the locals to drive outwards *lol*) to make sure all their green-card sponsored employees have lights on their modes of transportation, should they have to work late, get held up late at work, or if summer starts to shorten at the end of the season.

Unchecked corporates will jeopardize human life to save pennies on bicycle-to-work green card labor instead of hiring local people who know the roads and have vehicles to drive, and then just shrug it off as an unfortunate accident while making no changes. And corporates benefit from compliant workers who cannot stick up for themselves (it is why companies target internationals) and it is why we need to stick up for these people and put the pressure on the companies who are profiting off of running their businesses on bicycle-to-work green card labor. It certainly is not necessary to run their businesses on bicycle-to-work labor, it's just a way to improperly inflate profit margins by getting compliant international labor to do what American labor would not do (bicycle to work at lower wages).

I have no problem with internationals working here, but we need to make sure they are taken care of by their employer and not just put in absurd situations to maintain their employment and green card (noteably like minors & railroad workers were).

The pool companies have created this situation. It is a shame, and I cannot help but to wonder if it was preventable. My condolences to Andrew Gooden's wife, their 2 children, the unborn child on the way, and his other family. He was working here in not the best of circumstances, to make a better life for them... and it backfired horribly.

Posted by: Sillary Clit ()
Date: September 09, 2015 03:05PM

Why do motorist hate the cyclists so much? Do you hate school buses too?

Its because cycling reminds them of how much they don't do. Everytime they see a cyclist they think to themselves, "Dam, I'm fat and lazy. F them bicyclers!"

Posted by: HashTag Guy ()
Date: September 09, 2015 03:36PM

#NoCareBikerNotWhite

Posted by: yEKYC ()
Date: September 09, 2015 05:54PM

Im scared to death in my Volvo wagon for god's sake. I feel sorry for those that have to ride or walk. Those of us riding for sport are taking a big gamble entrusting our lives to those behind the wheel (most of whom we would not let clean our toilets)

Posted by: Wild Animal Bicyclist ()
Date: September 09, 2015 08:22PM

Sillary Clit Wrote:
> Why do motorist hate the cyclists so much? Do you
> hate school buses too?
>
> Its because cycling reminds them of how much they
> don't do. Everytime they see a cyclist they think
> to themselves, "Dam, I'm fat and lazy. F them
> bicyclers!"

I go to the gym every night. I hike several miles every weekend. I should probably put on some fat.

I don't hate bicyclist. I hate bicyclist who don't follow the rules of the road and feel they can ride all over the place like wild animals.

If I saw cars operating the in the same fashion as some bicyclist I would be on my phone to 911 in a second to report the cars.

Posted by: Real Man! ()
Date: September 09, 2015 08:25PM

HashTag Guy Wrote:
> #NoCareBikerNotWhite

#GoBacktoPostGuy #PostFail

Posted by: April Fing Flowers ()
Date: March 18, 2018 05:32AM

April is when the cycletards really come out. How many will die this year because of their inability to share the road and obey the laws?

Posted by: elpoep ()
Date: March 18, 2018 08:28AM

Some bicyclists definitely do not follow the rules of the road. However, in almost all cases, if a driver is PAYING ATTENTION to the road, they should not hit a bicyclist. Unfortunately, when I'm driving, I notice adults, grown men and women, who are driving their vehicle while looking at their electronic toys.
It's really unbelievable to see adults acting this way. You're driving a huge powerful machine at high rates of speed and you can hurt, or kill yourself or someone else in a split second and yet you cant keep your eyes on the road at all times? Just to look at your stupid phone? What could possibly be that important?
It's pathetic.

Posted by: Ford Ranger 4x4 ()
Date: March 18, 2018 08:32AM

elpoep Wrote:
> Some bicyclists definitely do not follow the rules
> of the road. However, in almost all cases, if a
> driver is PAYING ATTENTION to the road, they
> should not hit a bicyclist. Unfortunately, when
> I'm driving, I notice adults, grown men and women,
> who are driving their vehicle while looking at
> their electronic toys.
> It's really unbelievable to see adults acting this
> way. You're driving a huge powerful machine at
> high rates of speed and you can hurt, or kill
> yourself or someone else in a split second and yet
> you cant keep your eyes on the road at all times?
> Just to look at your stupid phone? What could
> possibly be that important?
> It's pathetic.

Exactly why cyclists need to stay the fuck off our roads. They are asking for death when they ride on our roads. They need to stay on bike paths.

Posted by: post reader 9 ()
Date: March 18, 2018 12:48PM

3rd Generation,

You have never gotten into a tete-a-tete? OMG. You are a flamer.... in the gay sense. Your post is so goddamn long and boring I pretty much fell asleep twice reading it.

I have an idea for you - why don't you just fuck off?

lol

Posted by: FFXU roadside assistance ()
Date: March 18, 2018 01:59PM

post reader 9 Wrote:
> 3rd Generation,
>
> You have never gotten into a tete-a-tete? OMG. You
> are a flamer.... in the gay sense. Your post is so
> goddamn long and boring I pretty much fell asleep
> twice reading it.
>
> I have an idea for you - why don't you just fuck
> off?
>
> lol

Trying to respond to a 2.5 year old post proves that you are one ignorant fuck.

Posted by: Restonian Saint ()
Date: March 18, 2018 04:17PM

Living in South Reston they recently collapsed 2 lanes into one on many roads for dedicated bike lanes. During AM and PM rush hour it clogs up the area very badly where in the past you had 2 lanes to maneuver or make turns. The point being that we dedicated entire lanes decreasing car lanes by 50 percent for one lane that will only be utilized less than 1 percent of the time. These cyclists will now ride like they own all lanes.

Posted by: Newbiker ()
Date: March 18, 2018 05:00PM

What's wrong with just using the sidewalk? It's considered a shared path. Or do people not like slowing down for people walking but they can slow down cars...

Posted by: sidewalk user 39 ()
Date: March 18, 2018 07:03PM

Newbiker Wrote:
> What's wrong with just using the sidewalk? It's
> considered a shared path. Or do people not like
> slowing down for people walking but they can slow
> down cars...

Speaking of sidewalks, does anyone know why most sidewalks are made out of concrete, but roads are paved with asphalt? It makes no sense since the sidewalk is right next to the road.

Posted by: Why Are Cyclists So Stupid ()
Date: March 19, 2018 08:36AM

Isn't there a BIKE TRAIL that runs adjacent to Sunrise Valley for you people? The fuck is wrong with using the bike trail? Glad to see one of the belligerent arrogant asshole cyclists splattered. Bet his buddy uses the fucking bike trail from now on out. I'm going to drive to the scene and take a squirt on the dead bikers memorial.

Posted by: ojgfdddd ()
Date: March 19, 2018 08:49AM

Bicyclists have the "right" to ride on the road, but that does not mean its a good idea. They are risking their lives every time they ride in the street. Kinda like riding a motorcycle - do it long enough and something bad is going to happen. No sympathy for either type of cyclist when they get creamed - they know the risks.

Posted by: Pop a wheelly dead ()
Date: March 19, 2018 10:23AM

Horrified once a couple of years back
I saw a girl who could not have been older than 13 riding her bike down the middle of 2 lanes on Braddock road (on the broken white line) in heavy traffic.

Also, I know of an accident in MD. A retired MD State Trooper who was into cycling who always spoke of "having the right way" .. was run over by a Tractor Trailer. The truck driver never saw him. Former trooper was crushed and instantly died.

Also, in DC I see stupid pedestrians assuming the right of way by walking in front of cars already in motion from a stop. Cyclists too,

YES these people are not thinking of their own safety. They are thinking of their "right of way" and ASSUMING drivers are not distracted.

Posted by: Concrete guy ()
Date: March 19, 2018 05:00PM

sidewalk user 39 Wrote:
> Newbiker Wrote:
> -----
> > What's wrong with just using the sidewalk? It's
> > considered a shared path. Or do people not like
> > slowing down for people walking but they can
> slow
> > down cars...
>
>
> Speaking of sidewalks, does anyone know why most
> sidewalks are made out of concrete, but roads are
> paved with asphalt? It makes no sense since the
> sidewalk is right next to the road.

A good concrete sidewalk can last over 100 years, asphalt is good for 10 to 13 years. Concrete is a much better value for the taxpayers.

Posted by: Logicoflogic ()
Date: March 19, 2018 05:08PM

Pop a wheelly dead Wrote:
> Horrified once a couple of years back
> I saw a girl who could not have been older than 13
> riding her bike down the middle of 2 lanes on
> Braddock road (on the broken white line) in heavy
> traffic.
>
> Also, I know of an accident in MD. A retired MD
> State Trooper who was into cycling who always
> spoke of "having the right way" .. was run over by
> a Tractor Trailer. The truck driver never saw
> him. Former trooper was crushed and instantly
> died.
>
> Also, in DC I see stupid pedestrians assuming the
> right of way by walking in front of cars already
> in motion from a stop. Cyclists too,
>
> YES these people are not thinking of their own
> safety. They are thinking of their "right of way"
> and ASSUMING drivers are not distracted.

What you just described is reality and what is flawed with liberal logic and exactly why people should carry guns. The prisons are over crowded for a reason. Just because we have rules doesn't mean people wl following them.

Posted by: FC driver ()
Date: March 19, 2018 07:29PM

Sillary Clit Wrote:
> Why do motorist hate the cyclists so much? Do you
> hate school buses too?
>
> Its because cycling reminds them of how much they
> don't do. Everytime they see a cyclist they think
> to themselves, "Dam, I'm fat and lazy. F them
> bicyclers!"

Do I hate school buses? I hate being stuck behind one when the school day ends.

Posted by: FC driver ()
Date: March 19, 2018 07:37PM

Posted by: Can't post right - me ()
Date: March 19, 2018 07:45PM

Texting While Driving Wrote:
> Jared from Subway Wrote:
> -----
> > 20 min after sunset Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> >
> > > How did the fuckwhit with the 6000 lb vehicle
> > kill
> > > someone on a bicycle? Blaming the cyclist
> > because
> > > he had no light or vest is fine but its
> mostly
> > BS.
> >
> > Found the asshole bicyclist!
> >
> > > If it had been a person in the road without
> a
> > > vest or light killing them would be fine too?
>
> > > Nope.
> >
> > It's never fine. But it is understandable.
> >
> > > The texting douchebag
> >
> > Source?
>
> Almost all drivers text these days, or fiddle with
> GPS or check Facebook. Take a look at other
> drivers next time you are on the road. Distracted
> driving is a thing. Self-driving cars can't get
> here soon enough

They're here, and one of the just killed a cyclist.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-19/uber-autonomous-car-involved-in-fatal-crash-in-arizona

Posted by: naked cruelty ()
Date: April 08, 2018 01:46PM

On Thursday I saw a cycletard who had crashed near Reston town center. He was holding his leg and bleeding. I pulled over and told him to stay the fuck off the roads. I really wanted to kick the shit out of him. At first I think he thought I had stopped to help lol!

Posted by: khccn ()
Date: April 09, 2018 07:20AM

khccn

Posted by: 4CHAN /R9K/ ()
Date: April 09, 2018 07:22AM

naked cruelty Wrote:
> On Thursday I saw a cycletard who had crashed near
> Reston town center. He was holding his leg and
> bleeding. I pulled over and told him to stay the
> fuck off the roads. I really wanted to kick the
> shit out of him. At first I think he thought I had
> stopped to help lol!

THAT STUPID NORMIE FUCK GOT WHAT HE DESERVED

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.