HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Question about emissions and safety inspection
Posted by: F ()
Date: August 26, 2015 10:32PM

So I have to get my emissions inspection done by the end of the month in order to renew my registration. My safety inspection expired last month (windshield crack I need to get fixed) and I was wondering if you can get your emissions inspected with an expired safety inspection?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about emissions and safety inspection
Posted by: MdH9v ()
Date: August 26, 2015 10:34PM

Yes. Doesn't affect the emissions side.

Posted by: protip ()
Date: August 27, 2015 07:29AM

Before you go in for emissions, go to Autozone or Advance Auto parts. Ask them to read your codes for free (they usually have an obd2 reader on hand to scan them for you for no charge).

If you come up with any codes OR have a check engine light on, you won't pass emissions, point blank.

Plan A (correct way)- write the code down, go home, google the code+ the make of the car (ex. P0171+ Honda) and it should tell you what the code means.

Take it to a mechanic and let them know this and have that part fixed. You have an idea now since you know what the code means so the mechanic can't BS you.

Plan B (only if you're desperate/broke)- pay the advance/autozone man $20 to erase your code (feel him/her out first don't make demands they don't HAVE to! They would rather sell you parts! But I have had luck with this being nice ;), drive it a good 40-50 miles and hope the code doesn't come back, THEN go get your emissions. I have passed with several old cars doing this- your results may vary but its worth a shot.

In either case, if your exhaust is throwing a lot of smoke or has holes in it or excessive rust, you won't pass anyway until you replace the problem part. Meineke/Midas/your local independent muffler shop can throw in some welds for you SOMETIMES But expect to pay about $500 for a catalatyc converter and $400 for a full catback system TO START.

Date: August 27, 2015 07:34AM

Final note- if you spend over $800 on repairs and it STILL wont pass you can get a wavier, so SAVE YOUR RECIEPTS if you decide to fix it legit (you should, but in this economy I understand if you cannot and have to go the shady route - you can also get a cheap code reader yourself on amazon for $70-80 that does the same thing autozone will do for you! ;)

http://www.deq.state.va.us/Programs/AirCheckVirginia/ForMotoristsVehicleOwners/WhydidmyvehiclefailWaiverInformation.aspx

Date: August 27, 2015 07:37AM

Final final note- if all else fails, find a friend in Spotsylvania county or further south where there is no emissions test, only inspection, and register your car there.

Love, someone who always drove cheap cars and was a single parent so decided to spend the money on the kid instead of an expensive car note/repair - worth it as they're a straight A student off to college now ;)

and yes, I ALWAYS fixed my brakes/tires/SAFETY inspection problems IMMEDIATELY but emissions? LOL! VA money grab!

Posted by: mjs ()
Date: August 27, 2015 08:24AM

FWIW you canget a blue tooth OBD2 reader for ten bucks, and down load the app "torque lite" for free for your android phone.

https://www.google.com/search?q=elm+blue+tooth+reader&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=elm+bluetooth+reader&tbm=shop

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree&hl=en

Posted by: Geez ()
Date: August 27, 2015 08:32AM

Come on people, the OP just has an expired state sticker. He never said anything about having a check engine light on or not being able to pass emissions. All the info on reading codes and dealing with check engine issues is not an issue in this thread.

OP - yes you can get the emissions done with an expired state sticker.

Posted by: JNCdk ()
Date: August 27, 2015 09:07AM

Yes, the OP's question has been answered.

Most Emission related problems are not that expensive or difficult to repair. More often than not, the sensors are not the problem, but shops/Pros love to throw sensors at the problem. Unblievable how little most shops/Pros understand about OBDII. I have been dealing with this for a LONG time and rarely do most problems amount to more than vacuum leaks or basic maintance problems.

BUT, everyone should have an OBDII smart phone/tablet App.

Torque is not recommended for many reasons.

Get an OBDII smart phone/tablet App and interface, typically $30 or less. These Apps are usually best for drivability issues and they support Emission Readiness Monitor Status, Freeze Frame and Live/Realtime data. They are also great for Logging data for review after the car has been driven and can really help find unusual problems.

Android - Touch Scan for $5.00 and ELM327 OBDII to Bluetooth interface.

iProduct - OBD Fusion for $9.99 and ELM327 OBDII to Wifi interface.

Some people prefer to have an extension cable to keep the interface away from their feet.

Something like these cables are often of interested:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JKOSAVS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A13I33IUTGJ9BK

http://www.amazon.com/OBDII-Extension-Cable-5ft-144201/dp/B000SBCHCA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1D2JWFQ9HPSGWZ2SB34Q

I usually suggest getting the OBDII interfaces from Amazon if you are located in the US/North America. Make sure you choose an interface that indicates that the order will be "Fulfilled by Amazon" otherwise you may be waiting for WEEKS for an interface to arrive from Asia. Ebay is another option, but pay attention where the interface will be shipped from, again weeks for an interface from Asia, so if you can wait and want to try to save some money, go for it, but if you need an interface soon, choose wisely.

Date: August 27, 2015 01:49PM

jncdk

just curious....what don't you like about torque Pro or torque lite. I kept an old android smart phone when I chaneged services and have nothing but good luck with the app and logging data and wrote up my own PID's to capture data not normally displayed...

using a BT elm 327, torque pro, and a samsung galaxy

Posted by: mudDv ()
Date: August 27, 2015 09:14PM

mjs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jncdk
>
> just curious....what don't you like about torque
> Pro or torque lite. I kept an old android smart
> phone when I chaneged services and have nothing
> but good luck with the app and logging data and
> wrote up my own PID's to capture data not normally
> displayed...
>
> using a BT elm 327, torque pro, and a samsung
> galaxy

Torque/Torue Pro does not properly recognize Wideband O2 sensors and is buggy when trying to Log data. Torque Pro also requires Add Ons, which may be free, but requires the user to understand what Add Ons are needed and actually install them.

Touch Scan is basically the same price as Torque Pro, it properly supports Wideband O2 sensors, is not buggy when it comes to Logging, has seamless DropBox integration that allows easy uploading to DropBox for sharing so the data can easily be analyed by someone that understands the data.

I have more money in OBDII tools, software and Pro level scan tools than most people have in their car/truck. I have been dealing with OBDII since is came out in 1996,

Posted by: ynEwp ()
Date: August 28, 2015 11:10AM

JNCdk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> BUT, everyone should have an OBDII smart
> phone/tablet App.
>

Great, I'll tell my mom and 75 year old grandma that they need to get one of these.

NO, not everyone needs one of these. Some people don't have the ability or the knowledge to properly use these.

Date: August 28, 2015 11:14AM

Mud...

thansk for the info...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.