HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Downspout Questions
Posted by: Drainage Question ()
Date: August 04, 2015 12:26PM

Does anyone know if the county has regulations on how far the drainspout needs to go out from the house? I live in a townhouse and my basement floods from the neighbors downspout not going past my house. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Downspout Questions
Posted by: e6NNT ()
Date: August 04, 2015 12:36PM

Posted by: sameproblem ()
Date: August 04, 2015 12:38PM

I had the same problem. Neighbor had no splash guard or extension at all. No issue for many years but finally after a particularly horrendous deluge had basement flooding - had to replace carpet and some furniture.

Solution: I explained problem to neighbor - I volunteered to purchase and install a 10 foot downspout extension. They were reasonable and agreed to let me do it. It did solve the problem.

Yes, I suppose I should have just complained to them and tried to force them to do it. But I just wanted the issue resolved quickly and the $50 was well worth it.

Posted by: DIY ()
Date: August 04, 2015 12:38PM

Why do you need regulations? Just go ask the neighbor to put a flex drain at the end of his down spout. Heck, at $15, even offer to pay for it, pick it up and install it.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=259813-62059-51310&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=1239337&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Posted by: Common Cents ()
Date: August 04, 2015 12:51PM

Grow a pair of balls and trot your arse down to Lowes/Home Depot and purchase a downspout extender(s). They come in different lengths, and colors to accent the color pallet of your abode.

A bag of garden stones/rocks can also be helpful with this little "Man Project".

Posted by: Drainage Question ()
Date: August 04, 2015 01:06PM

Didnt want to explain too much but I can't get in contact with the home owner because they rent the property. HOA has been non-responsive. I'll try to search county documents for a contact number and ask the homeowner if I can fix the problem myself. Thanks for everyones input.

Posted by: Problem Solved ()
Date: August 04, 2015 01:08PM

It is a simple non invasive fix with some flexible tubing. Simply ask the renter if you can attach it to the downspout.

Posted by: no, no, no, stir up shit ()
Date: August 04, 2015 03:43PM

Call Code Enforcement. They will inspect his house from top to bottom. They will cite him up the wazoo. Of course he will know you did it. Let the games begin.

Posted by: sameproblem ()
Date: August 04, 2015 05:09PM

Drainage Question Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Didnt want to explain too much but I can't get in
> contact with the home owner because they rent the
> property. HOA has been non-responsive. I'll try
> to search county documents for a contact number
> and ask the homeowner if I can fix the problem
> myself. Thanks for everyones input.

Even better. Just buy the extension and attach it. The owner will not even know the renter didn't do it. And the typical renter probably doesn't give a damn about the property anyway so they won't care.

Posted by: Occam's Razor ()
Date: August 05, 2015 04:31AM

Simplest answer would be to move. Townhouses belong in towns.
Fairfax is still a county.

Posted by: drain___ ()
Date: August 05, 2015 01:04PM

You can get plastic extension pieces cheap, just get them, and talk to your neighbor...unless you are a pussy beta male...in that case, enjoy the flooding you vagina!

Posted by: justfuckingdoitalready ()
Date: August 06, 2015 01:12AM

Drainage Question Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Didnt want to explain too much but I can't get in
> contact with the home owner because they rent the
> property. HOA has been non-responsive. I'll try
> to search county documents for a contact number
> and ask the homeowner if I can fix the problem
> myself. Thanks for everyones input.

Then just fucking do it yourself. Renters won't give a shit and HOA only notices things that don't matter.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.