HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
World Police & Fire Games brought more than $83.85 million in economic benefits to the area
Posted by: WTOP ()
Date: July 31, 2015 07:31PM

Fairfax County officials said the recent 2015 World Police & Fire Games brought more than $83.85 million in economic benefits to the area.

The estimate exceeds the $50 million economic benefit the organizers predicted just before the Games. The biennial event ran here from June 26 to July 5.

Barry Biggar, president of the Fairfax County Convention and Visitors Corporation, told the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors at a meeting Tuesday the figures are conservative and do not include spending by 3,500 volunteers, who received 17,000 complimentary meals but likely spent some of their own money, or overnight stays by from participants Virginia, Maryland and D.C.

Figures are based on Fairfax County’s 6-percent hotel-occupancy and sales-tax rates, he said.

Figures are not available yet on a location-by-location basis and will be tough to calculate, officials said. Reston likely saw a good portion of spending because the Athletes Village was headquartered at Reston Town Center, drawing athletes and their families to visit Reston and spend money here. There were also several athletic events in Reston.

There were 10,000 participants in the Games and about 2,000 of those athletes were local, organizers said. The Games featured competition at 52 venues, most of which were in Fairfax County.

Biggar said that based on the police games success, Fairfax will now pursue the 2019 National Senior Games. The 2017 Police Games will be held in Montreal.

The Supervisors said they were pleased with Fairfax being shown in a positive light at the event.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: World Police & Fire Games brought more than $83.85 million in economic benefits to the area
Posted by: mark j ()
Date: July 31, 2015 07:47PM

REally? Who benefits? I did not see a dime...the roads are still shit with potholes galore and the school system is still bitching about no money...

who pocketed the funds????

Re: World Police & Fire Games brought more than $83.85 million in economic benefits to the area
Posted by: Terry McAuliffe ()
Date: July 31, 2015 08:30PM

Me. I'm getting richer every day being Governor. You Virginians are idiots.

Posted by: 3xVjp ()
Date: July 31, 2015 08:31PM

This sounds like a typical sketchy counting job using some assumptions for front-end numbers of people x rooms x nights x meals, etc., and trying to come up with a number. They wouldn't even have the sales receipts data back for the full time period from merchants who report sales and use taxes monthly. Even on a gross vs net basis that seems very high just on a sniff-test basis.

If there were an actual $84 million in economic benefits, then that will be apparent in a comparison of sales receipts for the same time period over last year or some average of prior years. Tax receipts would be only 6% of that. It also wouldn't count any costs.

Posted by: Ying Ko ()
Date: July 31, 2015 09:03PM

I was late to work because of the beaner funeral.

Posted by: Vendor ()
Date: July 31, 2015 09:17PM

Yes, a lot of the hotels were sold out all week, especially in the Reston area, but a much money was also made by locals selling food and souvenirs to the players and their families, who were like tourists.

The county also hired a bunch of locals to manage, officiate, and provide services. School bus drivers received some rare summer pay.

The entry fees and corporate donations more than covered the expenses, and they have enough left over to keep some paid staff employed until December to wrap everything up.

Posted by: Not buying it ()
Date: July 31, 2015 10:21PM

That's way too optimistic accounting.

For comparison, a larger event like the Indianapolis 500 draws around 500,000 people for all of some 500 various associated events surrounding the race held during the month of May. Same general format with mostly free events staged around the area and staffed by volunteers. They estimate about $20 million in economic benefits, about $6 million from out-of-area visitors, and about $1 million in added state and local tax revenues annually. About $350 million total in the almost 60 years since it started. Those are the event organizer's promotional numbers so they're also probably on the more optimistic side.

Posted by: Young Resident ()
Date: July 31, 2015 11:51PM

Sounds great! How much will our property and personal taxes be reduced as a result of the economic benefits that Fairfax is touting?

Posted by: whatroads ()
Date: July 31, 2015 11:55PM

mark j Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> REally? Who benefits? I did not see a dime...the
> roads are still shit with potholes galore and the
> school system is still bitching about no money...
>
> who pocketed the funds????

Where do you drive that the roads are so bad? I don't encounter any such roads. Also, did you call VDOT to point out issues you have identified? You are probably just full of shit, but assuming not, I am going to guess you never took to the time to address it.

Posted by: dothemath ()
Date: July 31, 2015 11:59PM

It seems like a bunch of you don't understand economics or mathematics. This is $83M in economic benefits to organizations in Fairfax County. That doesn't mean $83M in profits nor does it mean that's what the government made. If we assume FFX county gets 6% of $83,850,000 ... that comes out to them making $5,031,000. In a county this size that isn't insignificant but it doesn't suddenly translate everyone gets a handout now and all taxes are lowered. Not sure what's so hard to understand about that...

Posted by: Buying it ()
Date: August 01, 2015 12:25AM

Not buying it Wrote:
> That's way too optimistic accounting.
>
> For comparison, a larger event like the
> Indianapolis 500

One day event vs 10 day event.

And visitors stay longer to do the tourist thing.

Date: August 01, 2015 01:02AM

Buying it Wrote:
> Not buying it Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That's way too optimistic accounting.
> >
> > For comparison, a larger event like the
> > Indianapolis 500
>
>
> One day event vs 10 day event.
>
> And visitors stay longer to do the tourist thing.

Nope. Read. That's for 500 festival events that they sponsor during the entire month of May leading up to the race.

As another example, the Boston Marathon has about 35,000 direct participants plus pulling another probably 5 times that many in family. friends, and spectators. They estimate about $150 million in economic benefit for the week or so around the race.

As another, the last Superbowl:

{quote]
PricewaterhouseCoopers estimates that this year's Super Bowl, which matches the New England Patriots against the Seattle Seahawks, will generate $206 million in direct spending in the Phoenix area in tourism, lodging and transportation.
[/quote]

Do you really think that these piddly little games generated anywhere near more than 1/2 to 1/3 or either of those? If so, you're delusional.

Posted by: d-lusional ()
Date: August 01, 2015 01:27AM

Not buying it Wrote:
> Buying it Wrote:
> -----
> > Not buying it Wrote:
> >
>
>
> Do you really think that these piddly little games
> generated anywhere near more than 1/2 to 1/3 or
> either of those? If so, you're delusional.

The World Police and Fire Games had 12,000 participants. That's already over 1/3rd the number of those directly in attendance for the Boston Marathon. Do the restaurants and hotels cost more in the core areas of FFX county? Do more people travel to see their friends/family compete in this event vs that compared to the Boston marathon? I don't know.. but it all seems reasonable.

Do you think the county just pulled numbers out of their ass and completely fabricated them? Your logic seems a lot more delusional.

Posted by: MAthye ()
Date: August 01, 2015 01:33AM

I'm having trouble getting to $83,000,000.

Here's my math

$200 for room
$80 a day for food etc...
x5 days (assuming each participant stayed the entire week.. not likely)
x $3500 participants

$4,900,000

I'll double that for volunteers etc... for the entire week.

Ok that's a generous $10,000,000 (not minus expenses for venues, volunteer meals, etc...)

Where is the other $73,000,000? What am I missing?

Date: August 01, 2015 02:34AM

d-lusional Wrote:
> Not buying it Wrote:
> -----
> > Buying it Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Not buying it Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> >
> > Do you really think that these piddly little
> games
> > generated anywhere near more than 1/2 to 1/3 or
> > either of those? If so, you're delusional.
>
>
> The World Police and Fire Games had 12,000
> participants. That's already over 1/3rd the number
> of those directly in attendance for the Boston
> Marathon. Do the restaurants and hotels cost more
> in the core areas of FFX county? Do more people
> travel to see their friends/family compete in this
> event vs that compared to the Boston marathon? I
> don't know.. but it all seems reasonable.

You don't read very well either. It would be about 1/3rd of the direct participation in the Boston Marathon (35,000) yet they're counting the dollars generated at more than half. Not counting that there are many more spectators and visitors for the latter. If you'd ever been to Boston around the time of the marathon then you'd realize just how ridiculous the comparison is. The whole area gets spun up for it vs just a few areas being blocked off in Reston that nobody other then the people living nearby even notice.

And you completely ignore the +70,000 attendees (+6X) at the Superbowl which, at least according to their numbers, would result in less than 3X what this supposedly did. Or the 500,000 people at Indy over a longer period of time. Again, ridiculous if you've ever been to either. Shit, on any given Fall weekend a major college football game gets +100,000 people with as many or more alumni and visiting fans travelling in.

> Do you think the county just pulled numbers out of
> their ass and completely fabricated them? Your
> logic seems a lot more delusional.

No, I think that they came up with very generous counts in a very intentional way in order to try to justify all of the effort, expense, and promotion that they put into it. That's not particularly unusual.

Posted by: Big Aiditor ()
Date: August 01, 2015 06:37AM

No it didnt. Don't believe leftist lies.

Posted by: Schmedrick. ()
Date: August 01, 2015 10:49AM

dothemath Wrote:
> It seems like a bunch of you don't understand
> economics or mathematics. This is $83M in economic
> benefits to organizations in Fairfax County. That
> doesn't mean $83M in profits nor does it mean
> that's what the government made. If we assume FFX
> county gets 6% of $83,850,000 ... that comes out
> to them making $5,031,000. In a county this size
> that isn't insignificant but it doesn't suddenly
> translate everyone gets a handout now and all
> taxes are lowered. Not sure what's so hard to
> understand about that...

But, see...THAT is the whole point. As a citizen of Fairfax County who does not own a business, I don't give a fuck about the impact to locally owned businesses of these Games. And yet, the way WTOP and other media outlets are reporting this is that it's straight up $83M to the County...as in the Fairfax County government.

With all due respect to your math, I'd like to see the media or a local financial expert like Stephen Fuller with the FC Economic Development Authority and a professor at GMU fully break this down.

Because what the citizens indeed really want is the roads to get patched, the schools to get funded and all of the tax base funds distribution.

Posted by: Hey Richard ()
Date: August 01, 2015 11:46AM

whatroads Wrote:
> mark j Wrote:
> -----
> > REally? Who benefits? I did not see a
> dime...the
> > roads are still shit with potholes galore and
> the
> > school system is still bitching about no
> money...
> >
> > who pocketed the funds????
>
>
> Where do you drive that the roads are so bad? I
> don't encounter any such roads. Also, did you call
> VDOT to point out issues you have identified? You
> are probably just full of shit, but assuming not,
> I am going to guess you never took to the time to
> address it.

Drive on the main road through where I live - Hampton Forest Way. It's one big pot hole patch. Been repaved once in 29 years. Guess the $510 a month I pay in taxes isn't enough. Dick!

Posted by: fine, let them pay ()
Date: August 01, 2015 03:14PM

Fine, let those who made money (e.g., restaurant owners) pay for the games. Why should the rest of us enrich these businesses?

If the County made money, then they need to spend it intelligently.

I suspect it was just a waste of money to stroke Bulova's ego.

Posted by: A88 ()
Date: August 01, 2015 06:53PM

Hey dumbass, Fairfax County doesn't have anything to do with the roads. Fairfax County doesn't maintain or own any roads. ALL roads in the county are STATE ROADS. Go bitch to VDOT and the State if you want a road fixed. Your COUNTY taxes have nothing to do with the STATE ROADS.

Posted by: Dumbass ()
Date: August 01, 2015 07:06PM

Hey dumbass- ABB- yes your county does pay for some roads. Basic maintenance is always VDOT

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.