HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Willow springs
Posted by: Parent till the end ()
Date: July 24, 2015 12:51PM

Who replaced liz Rhien at Willow Springs school? Please tell me that nut is gone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Willow springs
Posted by: Wondering Too ()
Date: July 24, 2015 04:52PM

Its strange that an announcement has not been made yet...as school starts up very soon. I heard the staff turnover rate is at more than 25% for the upcoming school year. The entire Special Education department left. There are several positions open at the school and someone has to be doing the interviewing. They certainly will not be allowing Liz Rhein to interview prospective teachers. This leads some to believe that the Assistant Principal, Sara Farmer, is possibly being given the principal's position.

The other Willow Springs AP (they have 2 at the school) Beth Levy is already gone. She's headed to Eagle View after only one year in an Assistant Principal's role.

Does anyone know who's being given the Principal's position? this is an important leadership role amongst the FCPS Elementary Schools.

Posted by: Pirateeter ()
Date: July 24, 2015 06:19PM

There is a lack of cultural competence in different parts of the county. As a another writer pointed out " We are still in the south."

I think often of my black students who, in many cases, will never have a teacher who looks like them. I think of the ways in which even other people of color might stereotype them. I think about a former, Polynesian student of mine, who was completely immersed in black hip-hop culture, yet seemed worried she would offend me by saying my race out loud during a class discussion on immigration and ethnic backgrounds. I saw one of America’s great failures—an inability to teach its children how to talk about race—materialize in the shame on her face as she struggled to say out loud what and who I am.

I also think about the teachers who replaced me. I wonder how long they’ll last, particularly the teachers of color. More than anything else, I worry about what will become of the kids caught in the shuffle.

Posted by: HopeIs ()
Date: July 24, 2015 06:23PM

I had conversations that I believe many non-black teachers would have shied away from. When a white ninth grade student called her friend the N-word in front of me, for instance, I did not let it pass unaddressed. Instead, we had an awkward but important conversation about the historic significance of the word.

But in the end, teaching couldn’t retain me. I felt isolated as one of only two black teachers at the school. I did not have enough colleagues I felt comfortable turning to, for instance, for advice on how to broach the subject of Trayvon Martin’s killing with my students. The uncertainty created by the new curriculum and new teacher evaluation systems also heightened my anxiety.

Then the school districts integrated thousands of African American teachers were fired or laid off. Today’s teacher force reflects that decline in diversity. A new report from the Center for American Progress found that 80 percent of public school teachers are white, while nearly 50 percent of students are minorities.

I was one of two black teachers in a near by school and we are both gone.

Posted by: Liketiusef ()
Date: July 24, 2015 06:27PM

Liz Rhein was a bully and caused two teachers to go into a mental health hospital.

Posted by: YouClueless ()
Date: July 24, 2015 07:16PM

The disgruntled teachers are back from the beach with too much time on their hands. Post your eval or STFU.

Posted by: YouClueless ()
Date: July 25, 2015 04:32PM

You are clearly a dumb ass because the working conditions survey is all the evidence that is needed. The school board posted it to the public and there was a low working morale.

Principals play a key role in the delivery of quality instruction. Their responsibilities include ensuring educational strategies are in place that support effective learning for all students. They serve as a facilitator, guide and supporter of quality instructional practices. Good principals understand that improved test scores are important but know that quality instruction is essential for improving student achievement.

Bad Principal=Low working morale

Posted by: Clueless people don't get it.... ()
Date: July 25, 2015 04:35PM

To: YouClueless

You should kiss my ass... I bet you don't know what the hell you are talking about. You should be a teacher then come back with your thoughts.

Principals come and go. That’s what I was told early on in my teaching career. Since then I’ve survived four principals in 10 years. So, the statement is true. In fact administrators are far more transitory then are teachers. However, at my high school we have not only experienced a high turn over of administrators, but also a 60% turnover in teachers in the last five years. When I was a kid it seemed like teachers and administrators were fixtures of the high school: they never got older, never changed jobs, and never retired. But that of course is untrue, and in the world of education today, it’s understandable how administrators, especially principals, find it difficult to stay put, at least at the high schools and it coming down to middle & elementary schools.

Posted by: Parent till the end ()
Date: July 25, 2015 04:55PM

So is Liz Rhein there or not?

Posted by: MkpU6 ()
Date: July 25, 2015 05:11PM

Pirateeter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a lack of cultural competence in
> different parts of the county. As a another
> writer pointed out " We are still in the south."
>
> I think often of my black students who, in many
> cases, will never have a teacher who looks like
> them. I think of the ways in which even other
> people of color might stereotype them. I think
> about a former, Polynesian student of mine, who
> was completely immersed in black hip-hop culture,
> yet seemed worried she would offend me by saying
> my race out loud during a class discussion on
> immigration and ethnic backgrounds. I saw one of
> America’s great failures—an inability to teach
> its children how to talk about race—materialize
> in the shame on her face as she struggled to say
> out loud what and who I am.
>
> I also think about the teachers who replaced me. I
> wonder how long they’ll last, particularly the
> teachers of color. More than anything else, I
> worry about what will become of the kids caught in
> the shuffle.

It's your own fault for expecting every corner of America to be part black. Believe it or not, most non-whites-non-blacks in this area don't give a shit about blacks and prefer not to be around them. Did you know that?

Posted by: Becah ()
Date: July 27, 2015 12:44AM

To: MkpU6

There are people in the south who hate black people. Then again there are people in the north who hate black people. The most you can say is that there's somewhat more in the way of organized white supremacists in the south but it's not like they don't exist elsewhere.

If you are going to support the confederacy then...
States' Rights argument Falls Short! Those supporting Southern Secession based on states' rights are avoiding the issue. They seceded because they refused to give up the practice of enslaving other human beings. This argument is simply a way to avoid accountability for an outrageous atrocity [slavery] perpetrated in a nation founded on liberty. Don't be persuaded by the states' rights argument--it misses the real issue. It is a symbol of a place and a time that supported race-based slavery.

Posted by: MyheroMercy ()
Date: July 27, 2015 12:48AM

Racism unfortunately does still exist no one can refute that. It is much better than it used to be. And as for the people in the south still hating black people well a lot of black people live in the south.

For example in Fairfax...

Black students are suspended or expelled at triple the rate of their white peers.
Public school students of color get more punishment and less access to veteran teachers than their white peers.

Such discrimination lowers academic performance for minority students and puts them at greater risk of dropping out of school.

For the writer that brought up the confederate flag...

If the confederate flag is representing a time when African Americans were bound to slavery, how can you possibly say that the Confederate flag isn't racist? For those of you who thinks its just a flag, either your ignorant because of the knowledge that your apparently lacking or you are undercover racist. GET REAL

Posted by: Parent till th end ()
Date: July 27, 2015 02:59PM

Okay please answer the question. Is Liz Rhein gone from Willow Springs. She was and still is a horrible person. She stuck her head in the sand. Her and her little office click of old bitches. Her kids were too good for public school. She had hubby home school them. What does that tell you? It tells you she thinks pubic schools suck.

Posted by: Jillhope ()
Date: July 29, 2015 11:31PM

Liz leaves August 1st

Posted by: LpdkV ()
Date: July 30, 2015 09:46AM

8/1 is a Saturday, so technically Liz Rhein's last day is tomorrow. I'm sure Willow Springs and FCPS will make an announcement next week regarding both her replacement as principal and Eva Beth Levy as Assistant Principal.

Posted by: Intheknow2 ()
Date: July 30, 2015 12:20PM

Levy is not being replaced. School is losing her position and will only have 1 AP

Posted by: KnowToo2 ()
Date: July 30, 2015 01:51PM

Replacement no surprise. Wonder if other AP and any teachers will leave.

Posted by: cognizance ()
Date: August 02, 2015 08:18PM

Eva Beth Levy going to Eagle View Elementary School. Eva, didn't have a choice but to be unethical to the teachers as this was a requirement to keep her job.

Eagle View community (Do not trust her)

Posted by: Afterly ()
Date: August 09, 2015 10:38PM

I believe we all want to believe and feel that Principals want the best for their schools, the students, and staff. It makes it incredibly difficult to believe that there could be some Principals who learn to utilize their position and the power that gives them to retaliate and or harm a Teacher for any reason. This happened at both Willow Springs and Eagle View Elementary schools. The administration at Eagle View for example pushed out a teacher, in the ED center a few years ago who specialized in crisis support. Mrs. Edwards, did this for personal reasons. This teacher had a nervous break down and ended up homeless living on public assistance. Mr. Gordon replaced her and he got screwed eventually. I am hearing that the cycle has continued.

At Willow Springs, a few teachers had mental health issues due to the former principal. The vast majority of teachers take resignations in lieu of a dismissal, which is way worse than going through a sham hearing. It's seen by other school districts as an admission of guilt not to mention unemployment compensation is jeopardized. School district applications ask you anyway if you ever were forced to resign or resigned in lieu of a dismissal, so it's as difficult to get a job elsewhere as going through a sham hearing and getting "fired" by a school district when you "lose" a fake tribunal. These teachers forced out in other methods would be "fired" otherwise.

Posted by: More BS ()
Date: August 13, 2015 03:51PM

Fired felon appeals Fairfax school board case.

The Supreme Court of Virginia has agreed to hear a special education teacher's challenge to her 2014 dismissal by the Fairfax County school system for a felony conviction that she disclosed prior to her hire in 2006.

Read more: http://valawyersweekly.com/2015/07/30/fired-felon-sues-fairfax-school-board/#ixzz3ijqZqvJf

Posted by: Finarter1 ()
Date: September 01, 2015 06:16AM

Teachers in all of these situations are forced out of school districts. Districts that claim they "fire" only one or two people a year are lying through their teeth because literally thousands of teachers are forced out of education every year and aren't guilty of anything.

The vast majority of teachers forced out of public education didn't commit any misconduct, and that includes yours truly but a few ago I fought back and prevailed.

Posted by: Gossipy Teacher ()
Date: September 01, 2015 12:45PM

Afterly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe we all want to believe and feel that
> Principals want the best for their schools, the
> students, and staff. It makes it incredibly
> difficult to believe that there could be some
> Principals who learn to utilize their position and
> the power that gives them to retaliate and or harm
> a Teacher for any reason. This happened at both
> Willow Springs and Eagle View Elementary schools.
> The administration at Eagle View for example
> pushed out a teacher, in the ED center a few years
> ago who specialized in crisis support. Mrs.
> Edwards, did this for personal reasons. This
> teacher had a nervous break down and ended up
> homeless living on public assistance. Mr. Gordon
> replaced her and he got screwed eventually. I am
> hearing that the cycle has continued.
>
> At Willow Springs, a few teachers had mental
> health issues due to the former principal. The
> vast majority of teachers take resignations in
> lieu of a dismissal, which is way worse than going
> through a sham hearing. It's seen by other school
> districts as an admission of guilt not to mention
> unemployment compensation is jeopardized. School
> district applications ask you anyway if you ever
> were forced to resign or resigned in lieu of a
> dismissal, so it's as difficult to get a job
> elsewhere as going through a sham hearing and
> getting "fired" by a school district when you
> "lose" a fake tribunal. These teachers forced out
> in other methods would be "fired" otherwise.

The really large guy they hired to replace Gordon is gone after one year. His only job was to chase down and babysit the autistic kids and he was too slow to catch them. I heard one ran off into the neighborhood and they had to call the police to find him because he couldn't run after them.

Posted by: Bunks ()
Date: September 01, 2015 04:12PM

Your mom.

Posted by: chinwag ()
Date: September 06, 2015 08:38AM

Passive aggressive behavior is the perfect crime when it comes to sabotaging workplace productivity and souring morale. I heard that the counselor for the ED center was treated very badly by some of his co-workers because of their deep-seated anger that had nothing to do with him. There's a reason why passive-aggressive behavior gets such a bad rap. Not only is it supremely frustrating but it's also incredibly unproductive.

Instead of the principal dealing with the conflict she decided along with special education administrator to pushed him out the door. After hearing the story, I hope he is doing better and recoverying. He was target of the passive aggression, experiencing this kind of behavior can make can lead to tramua.

Posted by: Willow what ()
Date: September 07, 2015 09:16AM

where the hell is Willow Springs?

Posted by: Kaizonewser ()
Date: January 28, 2016 12:36PM

The schools are located around Fairfax Corner.

The workplace is not an appropriate environment for this behavior. Employees should be trained to be professional, have a good work ethic and to treat everyone they come into contact with with respect.

Posted by: Suggestion ()
Date: July 17, 2016 08:57PM

If you have issues with the Department of Human Resources regarding workplace climate or the office of Employee Relations then email the Chief Operating Officer, Susan Quinn.

http://www.fcps.edu/supt/suptoffice/chiefoperating.shtml

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.