HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
How do principals get away with these bullying behaviors in FCPS?
Posted by: IcyEasyKeeper ()
Date: July 23, 2015 11:47PM

It's quite simple: bullying is about an imbalance of social, physical or other power involving a person or group. In the case of a bullying principal, it's about a person who needs to have power over a group of people due to their own insecurities and corrupt sense of power. They get away with it because they are the ultimate power within a particular school. People in positions of power look out for each other, so regional superintendents, other higher ups, and their helpers (district safety for one) tend to look the other way on such abuse.

To put it another way, think of a school district, or any other bureaucracy, as a neo-feudal power structure. The principal is like the medieval lord and the teachers are the peasants. Need I say more?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do principals get away with these bullying behaviors in FCPS?
Posted by: Seeparage ()
Date: July 24, 2015 06:24PM

For example, personal learning communities (PLCs) are not meetings called by administrators for administrator agendas. To be productive and to be valuable uses of time, PLCs must be teacher-driven and focused on resolving student-learning concerns through teacher capacity (for example, what do I as a teacher need to learn to help students learn better?) This also means that the teachers need a defender at the district office level who will protect their time from those who have forgotten how busy teachers are. You can do that for the teachers.

Posted by: Mydrughn ()
Date: July 24, 2015 06:28PM

Has anyone had their principal tell them in order to save your career, you should resign because if she had to make the decision right now, she would not renew me???
I am in a bad situation, and I feel like my career as a new teacher should not be put to an end because of one principal? Any advice?????

Posted by: Teacher ()
Date: July 24, 2015 06:41PM

Did you just find this out? You need try to transfer to a different school. Unfortunately, the deadline to transfer is August 1st. You should also contact your union. You need to be very proactive.

Posted by: Robbitrac ()
Date: July 24, 2015 06:43PM

I was told that at the end of the school year two years ago. The Director of Employee Relations made it sound like he was doing me a favor by suggesting I resign. Even the principal thought that was crazy since then it was considered quitting and would affect unemployment. Unfortunately the job market hasn't improved and I'm still collecting...however I just finished classes for special ed certification. Plus you still have the rest of the year to improve. That's just crazy!

Posted by: Crookesse ()
Date: July 24, 2015 06:45PM

You can resign from a situation like this and still collect unemployment, according to my union lawyer. It's considered "resignation under duress". In other words, if you did not resign, they would fire you anyway. Your resignation was forced.

Talk to your association lawyer first, if you have a association. Make sure your rights are being protected before you do anything.

In general, though, it is better to resign than to be non-renewed. Many applications even ask if you've ever been non-renewed and then you have to explain why. If push comes to shove, yes, I would choose resign over non-renewal. You can still collect unemployment, and if you have to fill out an application, you can honestly put that you have never been non-renewed (officially, you resigned and the district you resigned from has to back that up).

In the interview, you can make up some reason about it not being a good fit, or just not mention that you've resigned and make some reason why the new district is a better one to work for (closer to you, better funded, less likelihood of layoff, you prefer the type of school there, pays better, whatever reason fits best).

Posted by: don't make it easy for her ()
Date: July 24, 2015 06:48PM

"Has anyone had their principal tell them in order to save your career, you should resign because if she had to make the decision right now, she would not renew me???
I am in a bad situation, and I feel like my career as a new teacher should not be put to an end because of one principal? Any advice?????"

Is this your first year teaching?

I would call her bluff on it. I don't think she has the grounds to fire you and she knows it.

Did she give you any help during the year?

Posted by: Bajannu ()
Date: July 24, 2015 06:57PM

Yeah, me too. I was at a private school where the super was having a great time pulling the rug out from anyone that wasn't her friend, and giving jobs to her buddies. Yep. She let many teachers go, plus the secondary principal who had been there 20 years (she had been there 2!) He started a new career 3 years short of retiring. She called many teachers to her office stating it was about "her plans for next year." I figured it out, and turned in my resignation letter that morning. That changed the course of my meeting. I finished the year, got paid through August, and went along my way. Others weren't so lucky. They had to totally reroute their jobs and families. It was unbelievable.

She resigned the next year, because the board got really tired of her antics, and someone finally stood up to her. Sometimes, I wish I could say really mean things about people. But I don't. If I did, she would be where I'd start.

Posted by: Mydrughn ()
Date: July 24, 2015 07:00PM

I didn't have any support from the Principal and she continued writing memo's on my file without talking to me. Human Resources told me that those didn't come to my central office. She listened to the assistant principal and recommended my non-renewal.

Posted by: MissMercy ()
Date: July 24, 2015 07:01PM

It really depends on how your original contract is worded, too.

All of our non-tenured teachers work on a year-to-year basis. At the end of the contract year the teacher can be let to for ANY reason. That's still considered "non-renewal" because the contract is not being renewed for the next year.

When we see "non-renewal" on someone's history, it does not send up any kind of red flag. Yes, people are let go for "bad" reasons plenty of times, but they are also let go for reasons like dropping enrollment or restructuring. And sometimes they're good teachers who just aren't quite right for the school. We've had a couple of excellent teachers who were really better fits for elementary or secondary, not middle school. Of sometimes they were dual certified and had better luck teaching one subject than the other.

I was "non-renewed" for four years in spite of having nothing but excellent observations. My position was eliminated. The enrollment dropped. A tenured teacher returned from sabbatical. My position was only one-year due to increased enrollment. Each time I was not renewed, I was still hired back by the same district. I still ended up getting tenure at the regular time because I'd been in the district, although not in the same position. This is my 18th year there, and still never a bad evaluation.

When we see "resignation", we do start looking. I have been on the hiring team for a long time. We have hired plenty of "non-renewed" teachers, but we have hired only one "resigned" teacher . . . who ended up being fired before the school year was half over.

The only time "non-renewal" makes a difference is if the person has been non-renewed multiple times. One applicant had been non-renewed something like 8 times in 10 years. We took that as a big red flag.

Posted by: Pecournf ()
Date: July 24, 2015 07:02PM

Don't trust Kevin Sills office at all because his two other coordinators are lawyers and all they do is support principals. I would hire a lawyer or speak with your association.

Posted by: HipDigyUp ()
Date: July 24, 2015 07:11PM

I don't usually sign out, but this is very personal and private to me, even a bit shameful, so I'm hoping to stay anonymous:

I was in your shoes many years ago. I was once given that option and my union seemed to be on the side of the principal -- even though I was adored by students and parents and respected by my colleagues and had good test scores to match. As OPs said, she had her picks and many good teachers were choosing to transfer to other buildings within the district. I didn't have that option and frankly, I didn't really want to leave at all. But, as with you, I was young and they were suggesting that they were 'saving my career.' That didn't really make sense, because if everyone agreed that my career was worth saving then why were they getting rid of me? And, why were they working hard to get rid of me so covertly? The answer to the first question is probably that the P and I were no longer a good fit. She was near retirement and I was a bit unconventional. The answer to the 2nd question is that we had very empowered parents and if I didn't walk away quietly, it could've gotten ugly. I was hurt. I was crushed. And I didn't know what to do. I had poured so much into being a good teacher and now was 'unwanted.'? I considered holding out. I was well respected by a number of other principals and could've tried for a transfer. I had great observations for the first few years. I had NOT gotten WORSE during my next two years. But, I was intimidated along with being hurt. I chose to leave (and yes, I cried like a baby on my last day) and I did get a job by the fall in another district. (Which I truly love.) I guess I ultimately decided that I didn't want to work for someone who didn't appreciate me. And, I wouldn't trade this position at this school for ANYthing. So although I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I chose the other path, I do not have any regrets.

BTW, my departure papers required me to state that I CHOSE to leave and that's the story I stuck to. However, I know parents knew something was up, because one YOUNG child had asked, "What were your other choices" which I couldn't answer. Also, the parents kept pushing me that they 'wanted to go to the board' on my behalf. I said, "Well, I CHOSE to leave" and a parent replied, "Yea, so did Nixon." I have managed to keep in touch with many students/parents which is probably more than the principal -- whom I once so admired -- ever did. We each travel our journey and do the best we can.

One caveat that I'll mention, however, is that I learned this summer that some teacher applications now ask specifically, "Did you ever resign in order to avoid termination." Wow! That's one that could haunt you if you 'choose' to leave now.

(((((Hugs))))) and Prayers!

Posted by: Mentarch ()
Date: July 24, 2015 07:18PM

First off, let me say that I am sorry you are going through this. I have seen principals 'oust' both good and bad teachers. Sometimes it is personal. Sometime they have an agenda. On the other hand, I've also seen 'almost-ousted' teachers win over a P and stay for years and years.

I was never explicitly told that I would be non-renewed, but my principal told me "I don't think teaching at this level is right for you." I was told this in my first evaluation (before Thanksgiving), and I knew from that point forward that I would submit my resignation in April. I think resignation does look better than non-renewal, but you gotta offer a good reason. When I interviewed, I said my reason was based solely on relocating - say nothing bad of your old workplace (even if you think it!).

Posted by: advice 101 ()
Date: July 24, 2015 08:07PM

Talk to your association rep and lawyer before you do anything. I almost resigned a few weeks ago, but was advised to try EVERYTHING to meet my principal's crazy requests before resigning. I have 6 weeks to prove myself to my jerk principal before she goes through with my "job threat." They can help you weigh the pros and cons. They will guide you to do the right thing.

Posted by: years ago ()
Date: July 24, 2015 08:29PM

I had a colleague that was difficult to get along with. However, she was a good teacher. The principal tried to fire her--main grievance: she left her dirty coffee cup in the teachers' lounge. Seriously.
She didn't get fired, but she did find another school. These type of things dogged her for years--she really was difficult as a team member on the faculty, but she was a good teacher. Go figure.

Posted by: kcpYc ()
Date: July 24, 2015 08:31PM

This is exactly why school systems should be more local rather than region-wide. It is stupid to have the entirety of Fairfax County governed by one school board. It is impossible for a single school board and superintendent to micro-manage 197 schools without allowing the principal's to run the schools.

It is better to have each local area run their own schools - such as in many counties in Pennsylvania. E.g. in the Pittsburgh area:
http://www.aiu3.net/Level2.aspx?id=1414

Each of these 40 school districts has their own school board and superintendent.
The principal's of these schools do not have anywhere near the power of principals in Fairfax County.

Posted by: Lola ()
Date: July 25, 2015 11:12PM

I agree with the that it depends quite a bit on the job market in your area. Are there other schools out there looking for good teachers? Do you have favorable observations and letters of recommendation from others prior to this position? If so, then your current principal is just one opinion. But if those are limited (I'm NOT suggesting that you're not at all good -- just that you may have limited experience to have accrued those), then it's likely a future employer will look most at what your last (current/longest) principal. Also, just how new are you? If this is your first year, then your principal has hardly given you much of a chance! Has he/she explained what he/she is looking for in order to renew you or made realistic suggestions as to how you can improve? Is he/she being unfair and power-tripping? Or did you perhaps say/do something that got back to him/her and legitimately ticked him/her off? If you are new, you should have a mentor who can help you. I think, that since the year is only half-way over, I would (at least on the outside) express my desire to remain (and improve!) Tell him/her that you LOVE teaching there (under him/her) and want to be the best teacher ever and ask for suggestions and support. Nobody starts out completely fabulous (though a few have the delusion that they are.) This is a job that involves learning through experience and continued learning. That's why we keep going back to school and share ideas. On the inside, however, I would appraise my feelings about the school, situation, and own skills. Do you like the school? The kids? The grade your teaching? The parents? Your colleagues? If it's just the principal -- you may be able to change his/her thinking OR you may outlast him/her. If things aren't going so well in a number of ways, then maybe you'd probably be happier somewhere else. I don't think I'd offer to resign at this point, though. Not unless the principal is making you miserable and would let up with such a promise. I believe he/she has some responsibility to help you to succeed and at this point, I think you should make him/her earn his/her paycheck, too.

Best wishes to you! And please, keep us informed.

Posted by: Teacherou812 ()
Date: July 25, 2015 11:19PM

How is it bullying when principals are holding a staff member accountable for their teaching? If you stink, then you should go, just like in any other job. But in most other jobs you don't get dozens of chances to improve and a team to help you improve. Don't mistake bullying for people doing their job. Maybe the reality is - you suck.

Posted by: ProFCPS ()
Date: July 25, 2015 11:29PM

Give your school name? Ready to do that?

Best to go if the leadership has pointed toward the door. It will work out. Good luck!

Posted by: TodaAn ()
Date: July 25, 2015 11:33PM

Thank you for your honesty. It becomes difficult to face situations like these. I put my heart and soul into the job only to be treated like someone who is easily dismissed. The general public really doesn’t get how this treatment of teachers has severely impacted schools and communities. I witnessed a teacher be racial discriminated against as a only black teacher in a all white school located near Fairfax Corner.

It is against the law to limit, segregate, or classify employees for employment based on race in any way that could deprive them of employment opportunities or otherwise adversely affect their employment status. I hope that teacher is fighting because race is still an issue in this county/country.

I am white but I know that race to still be a combustible issue in America.

Posted by: Jojo46 ()
Date: July 25, 2015 11:35PM

The simple fact is that racism both personal, institutional, and structural remains a force in American life. It impacts the lives of everyone, whites included, and shapes the broad material circumstances of minorities in countless negative ways. Yes, there are many—many—ways in which we’ve made progress, and we should celebrate them. But just because we don’t face the racism of the past doesn’t mean we’ve solved the problem. We haven’t.

Posted by: Experienced it ()
Date: July 25, 2015 11:40PM

The principal at my school attempted to fire me and say that I was ineffective but then all of my students passed the 3rd grade SOL's by 100 percent. I got called down to the principal's office and she changed my final evaluation.

Bully leadership is authoritative. It can be very uncomfortable. There is the overwhelming feeling of anger. It can mean slamming doors for effect. There can be psychological bullying, like dropping statements that cause stress for a teacher at inappropriate times. It can mean undermining the efforts of teachers and jeopardizing their success. It can involve threatening and abuse of power.

Principal bullies often believe strongly that they are very capable leaders, and are unable to distinguish between the qualities of good leadership and bullying.
Often bully leaders believe that they are simply getting everyone on side, focusing on the current initiative. They see success in their actions. Bully leaders get results. And they get attention from senior management. Upper management sees the results, cheers the Bully on, holding up to others the “great results” – something all the other Principals should aspire to.

But that “success” is short-lived. When teacher motivation rests in fear of the Principal, it is not sustainable. My current principal did apologize and said a lot of this was personal and she let her emotions go wild.

Posted by: I am not the only one..... ()
Date: July 25, 2015 11:49PM

It can be very difficult for Superintendents to identify a bully principal. Bully principals don’t show their Jekyll sides outside of their school while they are focused on showcasing and taking credit for their successes.
As a former assistant principal I am telling you that it’s easy to be blinded by a bully principal’s charm and confidence. There is no reason to delve deeper into what is going on.

The signs that something is not right?

Good teachers are being let go and weak teachers are being brought in. A bully principal needs teachers who can be controlled. Teachers who stand up to them are dangerous. Is there a school where the hiring pattern causes surprise?
Vulnerable teachers are doing extra work. Look deeply into the new projects and ideas. Are they being run by teachers whose position are in danger of termination? Are they being pressured into taking on extra work with their job on the line?
A pattern of attack on an initiative. Is an initiative consistently interrupted or questioned by a Principal? Who is in charge of the initiative? Is this teacher being bullied by the principal?
Is there a principal who is not openly welcomed to collaborate with the others principals? Why is that? Often other principals are fully aware that someone in their midst is a bully – and they steer clear.

Posted by: lucyinthesky ()
Date: July 26, 2015 01:43PM

Teacher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you just find this out? You need try to
> transfer to a different school. Unfortunately,
> the deadline to transfer is August 1st. You
> should also contact your union. You need to be
> very proactive.

In FCPS the deadline this year was July 15, so says HR. But good luck finding that in writing anywhere...

Posted by: EHS fan ()
Date: July 26, 2015 04:53PM

Bully:
FCPS Superintendent should figure something is wrong when thirty-five teachers leave a high School. Maybe the principal, or assistant principal's a bully? Maybe the school board needs to to get involved. Just a thought.

Posted by: TROLL ALERTS ()
Date: July 26, 2015 05:47PM

All but 5 of the above posts were written from the same IP address. Why?

Posted by: Talah ()
Date: July 27, 2015 01:14AM

I am am sitting at Starbucks working on my graduate coursework, and I read this regarding bullying behaviors. My topic is partnering with school administrators for better outcomes.

I am going response to this and use it for my grad paper.

Let me share this story with you:

It was about two years ago, I was told of my renewal and was prepared to submit my letter. I walked in and wrote my letter, printed and walked down to the office to submit it. I took a detour and visited with my favorite counselor, and talked and cried with her for a while. I just couldn't bring myself to submit the letter.

The Fairfax Education Association helped and represented me. I just couldn't do it, I have so many students and parents that I wanted to continue to serve. I couldn't allow a few bad parents, and one bad AP ruin my life. But I did go to another school and things worked out for me for the better.

My suggestion is that you have your association to speak with the human resources team to come up with a working solution.

I wish you the best of luck in your situation.

Posted by: Talah ()
Date: July 27, 2015 01:25AM

Here are some common issues that are involved in a school lawsuit. Fighting with FCPS is very difficult.
Attachments:
Lawsuits.pdf

Posted by: Anyone? Bueller? ()
Date: July 27, 2015 09:57PM

Does anyone have a principal that they like? Who is in it for real?

Posted by: ndvn ()
Date: October 21, 2017 09:02PM

The Office of Equity and Employee Relations (EER) DOES NOT ensure fair and equitable treatment of staff because of number of school administrators were reassigned or forced to retire because of several local, state and federal cases against the school board because of their actions.

We all know most cases are usually settled before they go to trial, because the litigation process is costly, time-consuming, and risky. That is why many cases settle, but others (an increasing number of them) have used pre-trial motions to obtain accelerated judgments (i.e. motions for summary judgment, motions to dismiss, etc.). Which is why a number of people feel this is one of the reasons why Mr. Sills is leaving as the Director of Equity and Employee Relations because he caused a lot of damage by not handling a lot of issues but instead punishing many lower leveled employees. The office of equity and employee relations protects administrators and not employees.

Posted by: LB Resident ()
Date: October 21, 2017 09:08PM

Rumor is he got a job working for the feds.

Posted by: brandy03 ()
Date: October 21, 2017 09:16PM

Kevin Sills has accepted a job with the National Education Association. He is leaving for many reasons..... Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye

Posted by: evaclarie ()
Date: October 21, 2017 09:28PM

R Chace Ramey, Kevin Sills, Cindy Fitzgerald and Karin Rodriquez are trained lawyers. So it is really surprising that a some of the discrimination and harassment claims in the workplace were never resolved?

All of these people above worked so hard to even conceal a lot of the school administrators mistakes. Kevin Sills would negatively speak about employees behind their backs and would make false assumptions. Now Mr. Sills is going to work for Lily Eskelsen Garcia.... Well at least he is leaving the County of Fairfax.

Posted by: R. Chace Ramey ()
Date: November 22, 2017 04:35PM

You all are the reason I am quitting to take a job back in Iowa

Posted by: Proof ()
Date: November 22, 2017 09:22PM

Just look at all the crap coming out of LB.First the AD gets axed.They hire the Principal"s butt buddy.Then the football coach gets hit because he had proof the Principal was dirty. Now guy pulls a hijacked and the same clown says he is at fault before all the facts are in.All these people were on administrative leave but never the Principal. Well...watch TV closely over the next week because things are bout to explode again.The Principal and Ramey could be done.

Posted by: Go Home ()
Date: November 29, 2017 10:38PM

This is beyond LBSS. There are issues of bad behavior and principal cover up all over.
Look at centerville! A teacher assaulted a student. Nothing has been done.
Principal covers it up

Must have been tutored by Ramey.

Ramey is shoveling the dirt for this—trying to keep things from being exposed.

What is he hiding about himself?
He was witnessed at a happy hour a little too close to a principal. Makes you wonder....

Posted by: Dupont ()
Date: November 29, 2017 11:11PM

male or female principal? I swear i saw Ramey in dupont circle literally making-out with this other guy.

Posted by: Morebadprincipals ()
Date: November 30, 2017 01:29PM

Freedom Hill
Posted by: MommyBear ()
Date: November 14, 2017 03:16PM

BEWARE! Scott Bloom is a bad man and shouldn’t be allowed to have his job! He uses his job to meet other Fairfax teachers at conferences and on trips. He is a cheater and a liar! He cheats on his own wife and uses county money for hotels that should be going to our kids and schools. Ask Hallie Demetriades she is his partner in this whole plan. Fairfax has been told about his ways and does nothing no one will listen. Scott Bloom should not have a job or a place around our kids!

Re: Freedom Hill
Posted by: MommyBear ()
Date: November 14, 2017 06:24PM

Scott Bloom is a cheat! His wife is a teacher with Fairfax to and they won’t even listen to her. Everyone in Fairfax knows that Scott Bloom and Hallie Demetriades used our kids money to go away and see each other. Fairfax won’t listen but they let them spend this money to sneak around.

Posted by: WSHSposting ()
Date: November 21, 2017 12:25PM

Woman Scorned Wrote:
> Homeschool "outsider" Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think I know one of the teachers who goes to
> the
> > school with the "banging each other" problem.
> > Says it's awful.
> >
> > Apparently, being married meant nothing to these
> 2
> > FCPS employees ... saying "nothing happened",
> > huh?
> >
> > Has the school system turned into a pick up
> club
> > for the employees?
> > Nice example being set for the students there.
>
> I am close with one of the spouses who is also
> within FFX schools; she has had to suffer working
> through the questions and speculation but somehow
> prevails. These people acted selfishly setting
> aside their marriages, children, and potentially
> careers if the school system found out about what
> they have done. Secrets and lying are encouraged
> in their elementary schools among the staff so
> they can, to this very day, carry on their affair.
> It is a disgrace. I applaud their spouses for
> keeping the damning documents, photos, and
> information private. Hell hath no fury like a
> woman scorned.

Posted by: FreedomTeachers ()
Date: November 21, 2017 07:07PM

We have known for such a long time. It is a joke. He comes and goes mostly goes to be with his pitiful Hallie twig at Westgate. Despite seemingly gay, pioor sense of style, horrible lisp- he manages to bag the needy blondes who are unhappily married. The two spend every moment together on and off the FCPS clock dropping the ball at their schools. If the spouses are smart, they will expose them as the putrid despicable white trash that they truly are. Both are incompetent, stupid walking idiots and have their schools run themselves. Honestly, they are no different than West Potomac drama.

Posted by: Fire em all ()
Date: December 07, 2017 12:23PM

How do these people still have jobs? Ramey? Bloom? Hallie? Sills?

Teachers have to step up and report people instead of whining on here.

Posted by: principals are jerks ()
Date: June 15, 2018 04:28PM

fcps picks complete jerks as principals and ap

Posted by: Catchemout ()
Date: August 10, 2018 06:19PM

This is why... Director of HR Gibson
Attachments:
81AA1E4C-568B-4DD2-AB95-C36317B236DA.jpeg

Posted by: Wtf? ()
Date: August 15, 2018 06:55PM

Who dat???

Posted by: Teachers2 ()
Date: August 16, 2018 07:39AM

principals are jerks Wrote:
> fcps picks complete jerks as principals and ap

Teachers too. Way too many cranky, miserable, anti-boy teachers...

Principals have to put up with these mafia style rude women, bullies who abuse their power over Advanced Placement and TJ recommendations processes (so parents don;t call 'em on it)... Some of the Hunters Woods ES (women) AP teachers - one in particular - are psychotic.

Get rid of outdated Advanced or Gifted programs -- huge waste of money. My oldest kids were apart of it -- and it makes little difference by the time they're in high school except it leaves poorer kids behind (and thus not able to apply to TJ). Hey, my kids are rich and smart -- so no sour grapes from me -- just being honest about FCPS. Ended up sending my youngest kids to private schools... smaller classrooms and professional instruction away from the wilds of the public school teachers/system.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.