HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Should I go to Longwood or Radford?
Posted by: Simmons ()
Date: July 23, 2015 01:16AM

Those are my two choices. Neither of them are great but have the programs I'm looking for.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should I go to Longwood or Radford?
Posted by: gay? go to LongWood ()
Date: July 23, 2015 01:25AM

Simmons Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those are my two choices. Neither of them are
> great but have the programs I'm looking for.

If you like banging whores, go to Radford. If you like men...

Posted by: Confederate Studies ()
Date: July 23, 2015 11:31AM

You can major in confederate studies at these schools and screw stupid blonde girls.

After that, then you are screwed as no one respects these schools.

Posted by: SunnyD ()
Date: July 23, 2015 11:49AM

Save your money and ride the two year train at NVCC and then transfer to the school you really want to attend.

Posted by: It's Smokey... ()
Date: July 23, 2015 03:34PM

SunnyD Wrote:
> Save your money and ride the two year train at
> NVCC and then transfer to the school you really
> want to attend.

"I second that emotion."
~ Smokey Robinson

Posted by: Rocco ()
Date: July 23, 2015 09:42PM

Don't put the knock on either school. There have been many successful grads from both schools. It is not only the school, but what you put into it, as well as contacts you make with other alumni.

Posted by: Ha -and ha ()
Date: July 23, 2015 10:02PM

I went to longwood. My sister went to radford. If you want to fail out, radford. If you want to make it through, longwood. I say that bc the class sizes at Lu (it was college my first semester there) are small. The teachers notice if you're gone. They check in with you and they know you and I just really loved that. It's not anonymous at all at longwood.

Posted by: Ha -and ha ()
Date: July 23, 2015 10:05PM

Ps. If it helps, I make more money than she does. But we both love our jobs. She's doing more systems and computer stuff at her job. I'm a parole officer.

Posted by: LU mom ()
Date: July 23, 2015 11:28PM

Longwood has very strong teacher education programs. My child is very happy there. Wasn't her top choice but she didn't want to go to Mason- wanted fewer commuter students and more distance from home- and was on the wait list at JMU which was her #1. She didn't apply to Radford. Havebyou visited both?

Posted by: JCpwd ()
Date: July 24, 2015 06:29AM

JMU is waitlising almost all students in Fairfax and other NOVA communities. Even top students who could coast into JMU.

The good news if you are waitlisted to JMU this likely means you will be accepted, but do not be surprised if your acceptantance is LATE in the game, even as late as May or June of the college Freshman year. Also JMU has some stupid process where they WILL NOT send acceptance letters, you have to log into an online portal to see if you have been accepted. They will not even send an email as I recall. If you are waitlisted, you have to continue to check online to see of you were accepted becaused they do not accept all waitlisted student by April.

I know kids that were accepted to "Southern IVY's" and other well respected and hard to get into schools that were waitlisted to JMU and were finally accepted to JMU but chose not to go to JMU.

JMU is not so easy to get accpected to if you are from Nothern VA these days.

Posted by: RU ()
Date: July 24, 2015 03:22PM

As a RU alum, I find some of these responses ignorant and totally without merit. First of all, why go to this nameless blog to do your research on a school? You are asking for retorts like this from mindless, mean spirited "underground" types. Do your homework. I went to RU and flourished. They have small classrooms and most of the professors have their doctorates and they actually care about you, the student. My education at RU helped me get a fantastic job and career, and I have a high 6 figure income. The school gets a bad rap because of its former "all girls teacher's college" and from an outdated rep when it changed to co-ed in '72. I received my degree in business, and it has served me well. My roommate got his degree in accounting and became a CPA (passed the exam first attempt) and is now a partner in one of the largest accounting firms in VA. RU, like any good school, gives you enough rope to pull yourself through or hang yourself. Depends on your maturity and discipline. If you party irresponsibly, you will fail. If you are serious and know when to work and play, you will prosper. RU was the best decision I made out of high school and will cherish the memories I made for the rest of my life. By the way, both my roomate and I were athletes there as well and the assistance I received with all the travel was wonderful.

Posted by: Professor Plum ()
Date: July 24, 2015 07:57PM

RU Wrote:
> As a RU alum, I find some of these responses
> ignorant and totally without merit. First of all,
> why go to this nameless blog to do your research
> on a school? You are asking for retorts like this
> from mindless, mean spirited "underground" types.
> Do your homework. I went to RU and flourished.
> They have small classrooms and most of the
> professors have their doctorates and they actually
> care about you, the student. My education at RU
> helped me get a fantastic job and career, and I
> have a high 6 figure income. The school gets a
> bad rap because of its former "all girls teacher's
> college" and from an outdated rep when it changed
> to co-ed in '72. I received my degree in
> business, and it has served me well. My roommate
> got his degree in accounting and became a CPA
> (passed the exam first attempt) and is now a
> partner in one of the largest accounting firms in
> VA. RU, like any good school, gives you enough
> rope to pull yourself through or hang yourself.
> Depends on your maturity and discipline. If you
> party irresponsibly, you will fail. If you are
> serious and know when to work and play, you will
> prosper. RU was the best decision I made out of
> high school and will cherish the memories I made
> for the rest of my life. By the way, both my
> roomate and I were athletes there as well and the
> assistance I received with all the travel was
> wonderful.

When discussing numbers like your income, pennies and dimes don't count towards the "six figures". But if you're happy with your job as a toll-collector, good for you!

Posted by: Upwerd nOOb ()
Date: July 27, 2015 06:08PM

Go to NVCC then transfer into UVA via their transfer agreement. Or aim higher...I transferred to Stanford after starting at NVCC for a year and on to a state school for soph yr. A friend of mine did a year at NVCC, second year at Mason, and transferred to Columbia.

Posted by: RU alum ()
Date: July 27, 2015 07:03PM

I could have attended any school in the state and went to Radford for the females. Everything I had heard about the lifestyle was true, and well worth it. At any school, the education you receive is proportional to the effort you put in. However when the classes are small, as they are at Radford, you have better access to the professors. Research the faculty of the program you are interested in. When I went there, Radford had good business, economics, math, nursing, teaching, and outdoor recreation programs. Generally once you start working, it doesn't matter where your degree came from as long as you have one. You don't need former dorm and fraternity buddies to build a professional network.

Posted by: nhyysh ()
Date: July 27, 2015 08:19PM

It's great to have choices.

Except when they are those.

Posted by: life aint fair ()
Date: July 27, 2015 08:27PM

Bottom line is, has been, and will be at least for the foreseeable future:

Most employers hire from "better" colleges.

Not here to debate if that is "right" or "fair" or "the way it oughta be"...that is just the way it is.

They figure if a kid was smart enough and had enough skills to get into, and through, a better college, then they are better prepared for the work force.

Note, it said "most" employers...not all.

But through the competition of work, you are better off if you come from a more selective college than a less selective.

When you are young and fighting nearly all the odds, you want some of those odds with you...and the odds are better if you are from a better school.

Again, may not be right, fair or anything else...just the way it is.

Posted by: don't be a sheep ()
Date: July 27, 2015 11:12PM

life aint fair Wrote:
> Bottom line is, has been, and will be at least for
> the foreseeable future:
>
> Most employers hire from "better" colleges.
>
> Not here to debate if that is "right" or "fair" or
> "the way it oughta be"...that is just the way it
> is.
>
> They figure if a kid was smart enough and had
> enough skills to get into, and through, a better
> college, then they are better prepared for the
> work force.
>
> Note, it said "most" employers...not all.
>
> But through the competition of work, you are
> better off if you come from a more selective
> college than a less selective.
>
> When you are young and fighting nearly all the
> odds, you want some of those odds with you...and
> the odds are better if you are from a better
> school.
>
> Again, may not be right, fair or anything
> else...just the way it is.

That's really only true for a first job out of college when all else is equal. But there are many ways to make yourself stand out in a job competition, and it's not that difficult to do. Also, while everyone would like to think their college's reputation is well-known to all hiring managers, that is not the case, especially outside the state.

Posted by: tradesman ()
Date: July 27, 2015 11:37PM

college is overrated and a colossal waste of money. Learn a trade and you'll be making more money than the libtarded college grad stuck with the massive debt.

Posted by: bnnhhbbb ()
Date: July 28, 2015 01:29AM

don't be a sheep Wrote:
> life aint fair Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Bottom line is, has been, and will be at least
> for
> > the foreseeable future:
> >
> > Most employers hire from "better" colleges.
> >
> > Not here to debate if that is "right" or "fair"
> or
> > "the way it oughta be"...that is just the way
> it
> > is.
> >
> > They figure if a kid was smart enough and had
> > enough skills to get into, and through, a
> better
> > college, then they are better prepared for the
> > work force.
> >
> > Note, it said "most" employers...not all.
> >
> > But through the competition of work, you are
> > better off if you come from a more selective
> > college than a less selective.
> >
> > When you are young and fighting nearly all the
> > odds, you want some of those odds with
> you...and
> > the odds are better if you are from a better
> > school.
> >
> > Again, may not be right, fair or anything
> > else...just the way it is.
>
> That's really only true for a first job out of
> college when all else is equal. But there are
> many ways to make yourself stand out in a job
> competition, and it's not that difficult to do.
> Also, while everyone would like to think their
> college's reputation is well-known to all hiring
> managers, that is not the case, especially outside
> the state.

Fast start, fast finish.

It's better to have a "good" school on a resume than a not so good one.

Posted by: Electric Joe ()
Date: July 28, 2015 03:38PM

Any decent electrician will outearn 90% of the grads from Longwood, Radford, or any other second-rate college. So will plumbers and numerous other tradesmen. But keep in mind - people in trades actually do something useful.

Posted by: Donkey Dong ()
Date: July 28, 2015 04:00PM

Electric Joe Wrote:
> Any decent electrician will outearn 90% of the
> grads from Longwood, Radford, or any other
> second-rate college. So will plumbers and
> numerous other tradesmen. But keep in mind -
> people in trades actually do something useful.

Right on bro.

Posted by: jhalllpp ()
Date: July 29, 2015 06:30AM

The problem with being an electrician or a tradesman is you've got to be working, all the time.

Oftentimes in sh****y conditions.

So yeah, you can make some money, but I'd rather shoot for a sales job or management where you can make more money and not be working your a** off all the time.

Posted by: school advice ()
Date: July 29, 2015 01:38PM

If Longwood and Redford have the program you want, it is not much of a choice.

BUT you should know both of them are really crappy schools. Many companies have blanket policies against hiring from them, that's how bad they are.

Posted by: H.S. College Counselor ()
Date: July 29, 2015 04:27PM

That is absolutely ridiculous. I know as I am a college counselor at a local high school and Radford is a very good school. The state schools in VA are probably second to none in the country, and RU and Longwood are no exception. Students that go to RU are typically in the top third of their class. Longwood is usually top half. Radford is in Princeton Review as a top school every year as well as in other major publications. See link below:

http://www.radford.edu/content/radfordcore/home/about/up-and-coming.html

Posted by: To: H.S. College Counselor ()
Date: July 29, 2015 05:56PM

Let me guess, you work for FCPS in some capacity.

UVA is a good school, as is VTech. Can't say the same about Longwood and Radford, sorry.

1st tier law schools would laugh at these degrees, as would major employers. A degree from Longwood or Redford might get you a job at Fairfax County, but that's not shooting very high, now, is it?

A bachelor's degree is one step towards admission to someplace like Harvard, Wharton, or CalTech, or an entry level job at McKinsey or Apple. Longed and Redford might get you into Liberty School of Law or an FCPS paper pusher or college counselor.

You need to get out more.

Posted by: What it Says ()
Date: July 29, 2015 06:56PM

Putting Longwood on a resume is akin to announcing that you were either a total fuck up or are at least mildly retarded. Radford = went to screw dimwitted chicks.

Posted by: be balanced ()
Date: July 29, 2015 08:47PM

I went to a top 10 US News school 30 years ago on athletic scholarship. There are only two such schools in the top 10 which give athletic scholarships, and indeed, that was the attraction of the school for me.

The tuition when I attended was 6,000 dollars a year. Inflation adjusted, this means that tuition, if it kept pace with inflation, should be around 18,000 dollars a year. Instead, like all of the other schools like it, tuition runs around 45,000 dollars a year.

Which is ridiculous.

I just finishing paying for two top of the Ivy League educations for my kids. They were great students, much better than I ever was. The value was nevertheless dismal. Don't ask me why I did it. I wanted to make them happy.

The tuition rates today are ridiculous. The value obtained at "prestige" schools is a potential capacity to compete with a bunch of smart people without fear. So this means if you do the work and keep your head in the game, and don't coast through the prestige factory, you can pick up some fairly hardwired competition and intellectual coping skills. But really, how much is this factor worth? 45 grand a year? I think not. I do very well in my job, and am persuaded I add considerable value, but honestly, I call on the skills I learned hustling and doing tough work at a meat packing plant for three years more than the fancy education - being a doer is what counts.

So with college today being an ever poorer value proposition, the poster above is making fun of good value schools like Radford and Longwood? OK, I get it, Goldman Sachs won't hire you, and it may be difficult to obtain admission to Columbia Law School (a horrible proposition with poor career prospects and lots of debt for even near perfect SAT scorers, by the way). But so what?

A student is a lot better to go to Radford, and study to be a competent CPA or nurse than to go to UVA and play animal house for four years. And I say this with all due respect to UVa - a great school. The cost and value proposition of college relative to the job market is completely disconnected. I actually feel for the high school counselor - dealing with parents who believe that a prestige college is still the Willy Wonka golden ticket but having very littel real understanding over the toxicity of student loan debt and the very changed job market, which values doers. networking, hard work and a constant social media presence - and not necessarily a prestige degree.

Get the absolute most out of wherever you go, and at all costs, avoid debt as much as possible. If Nova is the way to avoid debt, do it. The old rules simply do not apply.

Posted by: another approach ()
Date: July 29, 2015 08:59PM

Try getting a REAL scholarship, not an athletic scholarship. Go to a good school.

I guess Longwood/Radford are better than nothing, but don't be surprised if those diplomas don't open a lot of doors.

Posted by: old ()
Date: July 29, 2015 09:11PM

To: H.S. College Counselor Wrote:
> Let me guess, you work for FCPS in some capacity.
>
> UVA is a good school, as is VTech. Can't say the
> same about Longwood and Radford, sorry.
>
> 1st tier law schools would laugh at these degrees,
> as would major employers. A degree from Longwood
> or Redford might get you a job at Fairfax County,
> but that's not shooting very high, now, is it?
>
> A bachelor's degree is one step towards admission
> to someplace like Harvard, Wharton, or CalTech, or
> an entry level job at McKinsey or Apple. Longed
> and Redford might get you into Liberty School of
> Law or an FCPS paper pusher or college counselor.
>
> You need to get out more.

how old are you? a new game is being played. TJ gets the Uva slots. WM grads don't get into law school. Grads with non STEM degrees from all colleges default into the FCPS employment center. Fairfax county kids are not equipped to work in a high end office, they are too lazy and too entitled, they like defaulting into FCPS because they get the summers office. two out of the top four at Wharton make it into the big nyc ballgame.

Posted by: xxxyyy ()
Date: July 29, 2015 10:21PM

be balanced Wrote:
> I went to a top 10 US News school 30 years ago on
> athletic scholarship. There are only two such
> schools in the top 10 which give athletic
> scholarships, and indeed, that was the attraction
> of the school for me.
>
> The tuition when I attended was 6,000 dollars a
> year. Inflation adjusted, this means that
> tuition, if it kept pace with inflation, should be
> around 18,000 dollars a year. Instead, like all
> of the other schools like it, tuition runs around
> 45,000 dollars a year.
>
> Which is ridiculous.
>
> I just finishing paying for two top of the Ivy
> League educations for my kids. They were great
> students, much better than I ever was. The value
> was nevertheless dismal. Don't ask me why I did
> it. I wanted to make them happy.
>
> The tuition rates today are ridiculous. The value
> obtained at "prestige" schools is a potential
> capacity to compete with a bunch of smart people
> without fear. So this means if you do the work
> and keep your head in the game, and don't coast
> through the prestige factory, you can pick up some
> fairly hardwired competition and intellectual
> coping skills. But really, how much is this
> factor worth? 45 grand a year? I think not. I
> do very well in my job, and am persuaded I add
> considerable value, but honestly, I call on the
> skills I learned hustling and doing tough work at
> a meat packing plant for three years more than the
> fancy education - being a doer is what counts.
>
> So with college today being an ever poorer value
> proposition, the poster above is making fun of
> good value schools like Radford and Longwood? OK,
> I get it, Goldman Sachs won't hire you, and it may
> be difficult to obtain admission to Columbia Law
> School (a horrible proposition with poor career
> prospects and lots of debt for even near perfect
> SAT scorers, by the way). But so what?
>
> A student is a lot better to go to Radford, and
> study to be a competent CPA or nurse than to go to
> UVA and play animal house for four years. And I
> say this with all due respect to UVa - a great
> school. The cost and value proposition of college
> relative to the job market is completely
> disconnected. I actually feel for the high school
> counselor - dealing with parents who believe that
> a prestige college is still the Willy Wonka golden
> ticket but having very littel real understanding
> over the toxicity of student loan debt and the
> very changed job market, which values doers.
> networking, hard work and a constant social media
> presence - and not necessarily a prestige degree.
>
>
> Get the absolute most out of wherever you go, and
> at all costs, avoid debt as much as possible. If
> Nova is the way to avoid debt, do it. The old
> rules simply do not apply.

what are you talking about? Radford costs about the same as UVA or Tech. And a graduate of Columbia Law will have triple the income of 99.5% of Radford grads. The debt he builds will be trivial in the long run. Nothing wrong with going to Radford but no sense pretending it's the same as Columbia Law. It ain't. Never was and never will be.

Posted by: not worth it ()
Date: July 30, 2015 12:24AM

College is a scam. You graduate thousands in debt and worst of all, you've been turned into a libtard.

Posted by: JBW ()
Date: July 30, 2015 07:37PM

Ultimately, it probably won't matter. The likelihood is your eventual career won't be in the field you studied in college anyhow, unless you become an engineer. And by "career", I don't mean the ONE company you work for, because you'll work for several. It's not like the old day when people joined a firm in their 20s and worked into their 60s and retired with a pension. Those days are gone.

Flip a coin and go to either--or neither. They're both good schools. Longwood isn't near anything, so you might be bored there. Radford is a small town, too. But at least it's near Tech, Roanoke, and some interesting places.

The college experience is valuable, no matter where you attend. Don't let petty people lead you by the nose. Just make a decision, and make it be right. It's your life; you'll do fine. Good luck.

Posted by: Dyslexic guy ()
Date: July 31, 2015 06:43PM

Go to Longford.

No wait, Radwood.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: July 31, 2015 08:19PM

If the question is for Fall you are late. Incoming students have made their deposit, attended orientation, and for the most part registered for classes now. Unless you have been accepted to both schools and made the deposit deadline, go to NVCC for a semester.

You've probably also missed all financial aid deadlines, students have accepted their offers and aid offices are getting ready to disburse as classes start.

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: July 31, 2015 09:36PM

not worth it Wrote:
> College is a scam. You graduate thousands in debt
> and worst of all, you've been turned into a
> libtard.

So conservatives are just ignorant? "Your words, not mine..."

Just sayin'.

Posted by: be balanced ()
Date: August 01, 2015 12:57PM

xxxyyy

You have no idea, and I mean no idea, of the state of the legal market these days

If you are bright enough to go to Columbia Law, it makes good sense to look at other endeavors - lots of other endeavors. A 168 LSAT means you are smart enough to do a lot of different things - and it doesn't matter if you go to Radford.

The bottom half of the Columbia law class has, believe it or not, relatively poor employment prospects. And Big Law (I worked at the very, very top of it, by the way) holds little promise of a long term career. Most do not make it longer than five years, and it is a life designed for very, very few. There is so much material out there substantiating this premise I don't need to cite it.

Again, notions of prestige are great. But they no longer hold the value they once had. Go ahead, keep denying it - but the young people of today have it much, much harder than I did - and I find it annoying that smug boomers of my generation have so little grasp of the realities of today's education and labor economics.

Posted by: that was then this is now ()
Date: August 01, 2015 03:46PM

True, some things have changed.

Others have not.

A degree from a good, nationally recognized school can only help you.

A degree from a "joke" school (and those include BOTH Longwood and Radford) may not get you very far.

Do yourself a favor, go to the best school you can. We had a temp opening. We screened by schools. Longwood and Radford did not make the cut. Position went to someone who had graduate from William and Mary.

Posted by: It's a hard nog life ()
Date: August 01, 2015 03:49PM

that was then this is now Wrote:
> Do yourself a favor, go to the best school you
> can. We had a temp opening. We screened by
> schools. Longwood and Radford did not make the
> cut. Position went to someone who had graduate
> from William and Mary.

You're lying.

Posted by: shows what you know ()
Date: August 01, 2015 05:36PM

If you don't screen you could waste a lot of time with loser candidates.

1) We screen out all of the crap schools: Longwood, Radford, Strayer, Ashford, etc.

2) We screen out the evangelical schools: Liberty, Regent, Oral Roberts, Bob Jones, etc., as well as Brigham Young (Mormons).

3) Anyone listing fraternity/sorority membership gets screened out.

4) If they make it in for an interview, they must take a written test in English or Spanish grammar. this gets rid of the illiterates.

5) We ask them what book they last read, and to tell us something about it. If they can't name a book, we terminate the interview.

We've had a few VEC complaints. Not one has gone anywhere.

Posted by: sarahmcnasty ()
Date: August 02, 2015 05:03PM

Now that its alumnae have saved it for the moment, go to Sweet Briar and learn the most important things any woman needs to know:

x) How to say, "Yes, sir" with just the right hint of submissiveness.

y) How to mix a good drink.

and

z) How to give that rising young stud who will put the rock on your finger upon graduation a good monthly bj

Forget the academic window dressing. Be a good concubine to the young warlord and you will want for nothing.

Excuse me, I have to go sharpen his battle axe.

Posted by: RU grad ()
Date: August 02, 2015 05:43PM

shows what you know Wrote:
> If you don't screen you could waste a lot of time
> with loser candidates.
>
> 1) We screen out all of the crap schools:
> Longwood, Radford, Strayer, Ashford, etc.
>
> 2) We screen out the evangelical schools: Liberty,
> Regent, Oral Roberts, Bob Jones, etc., as well as
> Brigham Young (Mormons).
>
> 3) Anyone listing fraternity/sorority membership
> gets screened out.
>
> 4) If they make it in for an interview, they must
> take a written test in English or Spanish grammar.
> this gets rid of the illiterates.
>
> 5) We ask them what book they last read, and to
> tell us something about it. If they can't name a
> book, we terminate the interview.
>
> We've had a few VEC complaints. Not one has gone
> anywhere.

I graduated from Radford in 1984. At that time it had approximately the same reputation as JMU, and was considered better than George Mason. I went there specifically to get laid and to get a degree. I got both. Today I am reasonably successful, own 2 houses and a vacation home mortgage free, make a good salary, and have income from 3 rental properties. Granted I'm not as well-off as many people around here, but not in the poorhouse either. I definitely do not believe that going to a different undergraduate school would have made me any better off.

In my entire working career I have never experienced any such "screening out" of undergraduate schools. I've hired countless people myself and never once rejected someone's resume just because of their undergraduate degree came from Ferrum, Strayer, Shenandoah University, or Virginia Union University. Conversely I have been hired and promoted ahead of many W&M, UVA, and ivy league candidates. I also have declined to hire people from such well-regarded schools, but for other reasons.

Posted by: placement agency ()
Date: August 02, 2015 07:23PM

I suspect the place with all of the screening is a placement agency. They are picky because one "bad" candidate can wreck the relationship. They may also be reflecting client instructions, "no one from FarmVille" and so on.

Posted by: RULie ()
Date: August 02, 2015 07:52PM

RU Wrote:
> As a RU alum, I find some of these responses ignorant
> My education at RU helped me get a fantastic job and career, and I
> have a high 6 figure income.

So you are making 700k-900k (or more)? What kind of work do you do to make that much?

Posted by: RU alum ()
Date: August 02, 2015 11:41PM

RULie Wrote:
> RU Wrote:
> -----
> > As a RU alum, I find some of these responses
> ignorant
> > My education at RU helped me get a fantastic job
> and career, and I
> > have a high 6 figure income.
>
>
> So you are making 700k-900k (or more)? What kind
> of work do you do to make that much?

Patent attorney

Posted by: Patent Atty ()
Date: August 03, 2015 01:44AM

Radford has a law school?

Posted by: illegals kick yo as ()
Date: August 03, 2015 07:38AM

Hhaha, they illegals do you job. Suck it blue collar scum.

Electric Joe Wrote:
> Any decent electrician will outearn 90% of the
> grads from Longwood, Radford, or any other
> second-rate college. So will plumbers and
> numerous other tradesmen. But keep in mind -
> people in trades actually do something useful.

Posted by: Play the odds ()
Date: August 03, 2015 08:27AM

Bottom line(s) on all school threads.

1. It is better to have a degree from a more selective school than a less selective school.

This is despite the success stories here and there of somebody that went to a less selective school and ended up doing well, or some company that doesn't really differentiate between the two when hiring, or some guy that went to a real high end school and was a loser.

2. Sure, "trades" can make some pretty good money, and pretty early on, but it is hard, often times nasty, sweaty, dirty physical labor, and then tops out. And generally speaking, you only are getting paid when yo a** is working...you aren't playing golf with clients, entertaining, etc.

Compare the high end of a "tradesman" (what, $250-$300 k per year?) with some high end jobs of people I know with undergraduate degrees in english, econ, government, etc from selective U's...anywhere from $1M a year for a couple of lobbyists, to maybe $100 M per year for a wall streeter.

Try getting one of those jobs without a degree from a well known U...or with a "trade"...I'm sure it could be done, (maybe???), but the fact is your chances of hitting that high end are much much better if you have a degree from a selective U.

Are there any wall street big wigs from Longwood or Radford? There sure are quite a few (hundreds) from UVa...Princeton...W&M...

3. Bottom line is:

A good school is not the guarantee of success, nor is a less selective school the kiss of death. But, the odds are better if you come from a high end U than not, especially starting off. And it might only yield one more job offer/opportunity/meeting...but you'll find in life the difference between great success and mediocrity or failure oftentimes is not much at all...

I'd rather have the odds with me starting off than not.

You decide for yourself what you want.

Posted by: dgahao ()
Date: August 03, 2015 09:01AM

Look at it this way...there have probably been more players in the NFL from the SEC alone (where there are 14 teams) than the entire D2 ranks (where there are close to 175 teams).

If that isn't true, it's probably pretty dang close. And if it isn't true, throw in a couple more D1 conferences, maybe the ACC and Big 10 (for a total of around 35 teams) and no doubt it's true.

Want to play in the NFL? Your odds are better if you are good enough to go to a big school. Doesn't mean you won't make it to the pro's if you aren't good enough to get recruited to a big school, just means the odds are lower there.

Smart folks play the odds.

Posted by: applicant screening ()
Date: August 03, 2015 10:34AM

A friend of mine applied for a job; if you made the 1st cut, they gave you a list of the AP tests. You had to pick a number of them to take. The company had a special arrangement with the testing service to administer them on demand.

I don't remember the details but if you did not pass at least 80% of your selected tests, it was all over.

Something tells me Longwood and Radford grads might not do well in such a setting.

Undergraduate sex is a good thing. Remember that when you're working as a shift supervisor at Chick-fil-A.

Posted by: Warren Buffett ()
Date: August 03, 2015 12:38PM

To answer your question:

Randal Kirk is worth $6.5 billion and is an almunus of RADFORD UNIVERSITY. He ranks #352 in the world and #118 in the U.S based on Forbest Richest 400 List.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randal_J._Kirk

http://www.forbes.com/profile/randal-kirk/

Biotech pioneer R.J. Kirk's investment in Intrexon, which engineers living cells into tiny drug factories has been a big hit for his portfolio. Kirk, who owns more than 60% of the company, took it public in 2013 and the stock popped more than 50% in its first day of trading. Intrexon fell from its 2014 highs before rebounding in early 2015, making Kirk's stake worth more than $1.8 billion. This is only his latest pharmaceutical success story. Kirk sold his drug company, Clinical Data, to Forest Laboratories for $1.2 billion in 2011, and before that he sold New River Pharmaceutical to Shire for $2.6 billion in 2007. Son of a drill sergeant, he graduated from Radford University in 1976 and the University of Virginia School of Law in 1979 before launching his first pharmaceutical firm in 1984. He is an avid falconer.

Posted by: James Finnemore Cooper ()
Date: August 03, 2015 12:57PM

Those Raddie girls are the best baddie girls.

Those Longwood girls will leave you with long wood.

Posted by: Proves Nothing… ()
Date: August 03, 2015 01:27PM

Warren Buffett Wrote:
> To answer your question:
>
> Randal Kirk is worth $6.5 billion and is an
> almunus of RADFORD UNIVERSITY. He ranks #352 in
> the world and #118 in the U.S based on Forbest
> Richest 400 List.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randal_J._Kirk
>
> http://www.forbes.com/profile/randal-kirk/
>
> Biotech pioneer R.J. Kirk's investment in
> Intrexon, which engineers living cells into tiny
> drug factories has been a big hit for his
> portfolio. Kirk, who owns more than 60% of the
> company, took it public in 2013 and the stock
> popped more than 50% in its first day of trading.
> Intrexon fell from its 2014 highs before
> rebounding in early 2015, making Kirk's stake
> worth more than $1.8 billion. This is only his
> latest pharmaceutical success story. Kirk sold his
> drug company, Clinical Data, to Forest
> Laboratories for $1.2 billion in 2011, and before
> that he sold New River Pharmaceutical to Shire for
> $2.6 billion in 2007. Son of a drill sergeant, he
> graduated from Radford University in 1976 and the
> University of Virginia School of Law in 1979
> before launching his first pharmaceutical firm in
> 1984. He is an avid falconer.

Steve Jobs didn't graduate from college and he had more money than R.J. Kirk could imagine.

UVa law was a big help to Kirk, that's a real school. Longwood and Radford are jokes, right up there with Liberty and Regent. Sorry. Try again.

Posted by: Warren Buffett ()
Date: August 03, 2015 04:42PM

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Proves Nothing = Has Nothing = $1 billion short of being a Billionaire.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: August 03, 2015 08:16PM

that was then this is now Wrote:
>
> Do yourself a favor, go to the best school you
> can. We had a temp opening. We screened by
> schools. Longwood and Radford did not make the
> cut. Position went to someone who had graduate
> from William and Mary.

That overpriced liberal arts school just churns out success stories. lol

"Position went to someone who had graduate from William and Mary."

Guess communication skills aren't important for the position?

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2015 08:19PM by Dane Bramage.

Posted by: You Are a Prick ()
Date: August 03, 2015 08:39PM

Play the odds Wrote:
> Bottom line(s) on all school threads.
>
> 1. It is better to have a degree from a more
> selective school than a less selective school.
>
> This is despite the success stories here and there
> of somebody that went to a less selective school
> and ended up doing well, or some company that
> doesn't really differentiate between the two when
> hiring, or some guy that went to a real high end
> school and was a loser.
>
>
> 2. Sure, "trades" can make some pretty good money,
> and pretty early on, but it is hard, often times
> nasty, sweaty, dirty physical labor, and then tops
> out. And generally speaking, you only are getting
> paid when yo a** is working...you aren't playing
> golf with clients, entertaining, etc.
>
> Compare the high end of a "tradesman" (what,
> $250-$300 k per year?) with some high end jobs of
> people I know with undergraduate degrees in
> english, econ, government, etc from selective
> U's...anywhere from $1M a year for a couple of
> lobbyists, to maybe $100 M per year for a wall
> streeter.
>
> Try getting one of those jobs without a degree
> from a well known U...or with a "trade"...I'm sure
> it could be done, (maybe???), but the fact is your
> chances of hitting that high end are much much
> better if you have a degree from a selective U.
>
> Are there any wall street big wigs from Longwood
> or Radford? There sure are quite a few (hundreds)
> from UVa...Princeton...W&M...
>
> 3. Bottom line is:
>
> A good school is not the guarantee of success, nor
> is a less selective school the kiss of death. But,
> the odds are better if you come from a high end U
> than not, especially starting off. And it might
> only yield one more job
> offer/opportunity/meeting...but you'll find in
> life the difference between great success and
> mediocrity or failure oftentimes is not much at
> all...
>
> I'd rather have the odds with me starting off than
> not.
>
> You decide for yourself what you want.

You arrogant pompous ass. Not everyone wants to be or is equipped to be a master of the universe - thank God. There are only so many monumental egos that can fit in a room. Your idea of success is a lobbyist or a Wall Street trader - i.e., whoever earns the most money. And you disdain 'the little people' who earn under 300k - especially if they do manual labor (gasp!). That is just sad.

The OP asked about two specific schools, and they weren't Harvard and Yale. How about addressing the issue at hand instead of doing your best to make this guy feel like a loser.

Posted by: Both Schools Suck ()
Date: August 03, 2015 10:15PM

Longwood and Redford both suck. Yes, you can get laid at Radford. Remember that though when you are working at Enterprise Rent-a-Car on the midnight shift at Dulles.

Posted by: HarvardClassof'99 ()
Date: August 06, 2015 12:17AM

Neither. Matriculate in the Hahverd School of Cosmetology and Liberal Arts. Learn to toady to the offspring of the billionaire set in the earnest hope their parents will give you an entry level yuppie position upon graduation.

Such as on your knees, mouth agape, in front of their corporate board. "Learn to give a good blow job, young son or daughter. One thing you learn about the super wealthy who own the poitical process, if you're around them long enough, is that they all suck."

Posted by: Longwood and Redford both suck ()
Date: August 06, 2015 08:19AM

Simmons Wrote:
> Should I go to Longwood or Radford?

No.

Posted by: downstatepoontang ()
Date: August 07, 2015 05:03PM

Neither. Go to Odor Dominates You ODU, which has to be the most fifth rate university in Virginia or anywhere else.

Next most revolting is Christopher Newport. The fourth through seventh years of high school. With one of their degrees, if you're capable of walking and farting at the same time you can get a job on the public payroll.

Posted by: RU alumnus ()
Date: August 07, 2015 10:37PM

Proves Nothing… Wrote:
> Warren Buffett Wrote:
> -----
> > To answer your question:
> >
> > Randal Kirk is worth $6.5 billion and is an
> > almunus of RADFORD UNIVERSITY. He ranks #352
> in
> > the world and #118 in the U.S based on Forbest
> > Richest 400 List.
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randal_J._Kirk
> >
> > http://www.forbes.com/profile/randal-kirk/
> >
> > Biotech pioneer R.J. Kirk's investment in
> > Intrexon, which engineers living cells into
> tiny
> > drug factories has been a big hit for his
> > portfolio. Kirk, who owns more than 60% of the
> > company, took it public in 2013 and the stock
> > popped more than 50% in its first day of
> trading.
> > Intrexon fell from its 2014 highs before
> > rebounding in early 2015, making Kirk's stake
> > worth more than $1.8 billion. This is only his
> > latest pharmaceutical success story. Kirk sold
> his
> > drug company, Clinical Data, to Forest
> > Laboratories for $1.2 billion in 2011, and
> before
> > that he sold New River Pharmaceutical to Shire
> for
> > $2.6 billion in 2007. Son of a drill sergeant,
> he
> > graduated from Radford University in 1976 and
> the
> > University of Virginia School of Law in 1979
> > before launching his first pharmaceutical firm
> in
> > 1984. He is an avid falconer.
>
> Steve Jobs didn't graduate from college and he had
> more money than R.J. Kirk could imagine.
>
> UVa law was a big help to Kirk, that's a real
> school. Longwood and Radford are jokes, right up
> there with Liberty and Regent. Sorry. Try again.

Try again yourself. OP was asking about undergraduate schools. Radford does not have a law school. I graduated from RU and went to grad school and law school elsewhere. I am a partner in a major firm and doing fine.

Even if there is a correlation with attending a particular school and career success it absolutely does not prove causation.

OP should go wherever he wants and make the most of it.

Posted by: Johnny p ()
Date: August 07, 2015 10:44PM

RU Alumnus: You nailed it. It's what you make of what and where you go.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.