HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FAIRFAX COUNTY SCHOOL BOARD VOTING GUIDE FOR TUE. NOV. 3RD ELECTIONS
Posted by: OurChildrenAreOurFuture ()
Date: July 02, 2015 01:28PM

If you are disappointed with the FCSB, and would like to see real change and throw the majority of incumbents out, here is your voting guide.
Here is who you WANT to vote for (the new candidates).

List of New (non-incumbent) candidates, unless otherwise stated – ALL CANDIDATES RUNNING ARE LISTED AS INDEPENDENTS (including incumbents, not listed here)

Braddock District
Katherine A. Pettigrew

Dranesville District (2 candidates running against incumbent)
Peter Kurzenhauser
Laura J. Maffei

Hunter Mill District
Mark S. Wilkinson

Lee District
Tamara J. Derenak Kaufax

Mason District
Sandra S. Evans (incumbent, currently running unopposed)

Mount Vernon District (2 new candidates running, incumbent not running for re-election)
Karen L. Corbett Sanders
W. Anthony Stacy

Providence District
Dalia A. Palchik

Springfield District
Elizabeth L. Schultz (incumbent currently running unopposed, but was the only SB member to vote against including gender identity in the school’s anti-discrimination policy, cross-use of male, female bathrooms, cross dressing, etc. , etc.)

Sully District (3 new candidates running, incumbent not running for re-election)
Melissa D. Hughes
Karen A. Keys-Gamarra
Thomas A. Wilson

The current at large members:

Ted Velkoff, Ilyrong Moon and Ryan McElveen

whose seats are also up for re-election, should be voted out IMO.
I could not find information thus far on who is running against them.

Source:
http://elections.virginia.gov/Files/CastYourBallot/CandidateList/2015GE-List_of_Candidates_By_Office_Locality.pdf

To find out what district you are in see:
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/maps/gallery_bosdistricts.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FAIRFAX COUNTY SCHOOL BOARD VOTING GUIDE FOR TUE. NOV. 3RD ELECTIONS
Posted by: stephen ()
Date: July 02, 2015 08:28PM

I agree get the lifer's out of office, but don't stop with just the school board, get them all out across the state. Anyone with kids should not vote for anyone that holds office today.

Posted by: Cleanhouse ()
Date: July 02, 2015 09:00PM

All must go but Schultz!! Good God, they're so out of touch and they're sneak around. They clearly don't think parents can parent. ALL must go but Schultz. She's the only one wanting to include parents and the community. The rest have no idea what's going on. Seriously!

Posted by: Where's the Mike O'Meara Show ()
Date: July 02, 2015 09:36PM

Where's the Mike O'Meara Show thread?

Posted by: Elizabeth's campaign manager ()
Date: July 03, 2015 06:13AM

Posted by: what you must know ()
Date: July 03, 2015 10:08AM

If the current school budget is NOT changed, there will be NO option but to double taxes. If the schools cannot get their own taxation authority then the Board of Supervisors will have to advertise a higher tax rate.

What's the solution? Vote them ALL out of office, then demand that the new school board terminate Garza's contract.

Posted by: be careful ()
Date: July 03, 2015 11:20AM

10:08 is right --to a point.

Please note that Kathy Smith is running for supervisor in Sully--basically on the point of giving more to the schools. Not thrilled with her opponent, but Kathy will definitely vote for more taxes--lots more.

As for the SB, please use your vote carefully. Note that while you may not be happy with Patty Reed, her opponent will spend more. Just look at her website--focus on "global issues". More McElveen.

Please vote out all the at-large candidates.

And, also note that Hynes and McElveen wrote a letter to UVA in support of the victim cited in the Rolling Stone article. I have yet to see a retraction of that letter once it was determined that she was likely lying.

Is this the kind of judgment you want on the SB?

And, do NOT vote out Schultz. She is the voice of reason. I don't agree with her all the time--but, at least she speaks up with some degree of logic.

Posted by: Patty Reed and Taxes ()
Date: July 03, 2015 12:06PM

I've emailed Patty Reed's office and even left voicemail about her position on a special school board tax. No reply. Unless she reverses her position and explains why she did not vote AGAINST this transgender crap, I'm not voting for her. Her opponent has NOT come out in favor of the school board tax. Reed scares me.

Posted by: hush hush ()
Date: July 03, 2015 12:09PM

Patty Reed and Taxes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've emailed Patty Reed's office and even left
> voicemail about her position on a special school
> board tax. No reply. Unless she reverses her
> position and explains why she did not vote AGAINST
> this transgender crap, I'm not voting for her. Her
> opponent has NOT come out in favor of the school
> board tax. Reed scares me.

Patty Reed does not return calls or give any follow up whatsoever and then she tries to claim she did all kinds of stuff when there is no discernible improvement in the situation addressed AT ALL.

Posted by: hush hush ()
Date: July 03, 2015 12:10PM

hush hush Wrote:
> Patty Reed and Taxes Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I've emailed Patty Reed's office and even left
> > voicemail about her position on a special
> school
> > board tax. No reply. Unless she reverses her
> > position and explains why she did not vote
> AGAINST
> > this transgender crap, I'm not voting for her.
> Her
> > opponent has NOT come out in favor of the
> school
> > board tax. Reed scares me.
>
>
> Patty Reed does not return calls or give any
> follow up whatsoever and then she tries to claim
> she did all kinds of stuff when there is no
> discernible improvement in the situation addressed
> AT ALL.

She says she has to leave this up to the school staff, then they don't do anything to help you or want to meet with you, you tell her that, she ignores you, and this is a bunch of CRAP.

Posted by: vote out McElveen and Hynes ()
Date: July 04, 2015 02:02PM

McElveen and Hynes bought "Jackie's" story hook, line, and sinker. This is from McElveen's blog. They need to pay more attention to FCPS and less to UVA issues. Social activists are not needed on our School Board. Vote them out.

http://www.ryanforschoolboard.com/blog/uva-administrators-stop-hiding-behind-tradition-and-student-governance-by-pat-hynes-and-ryan-mcelveen

"U.Va. Administrators: Stop hiding behind tradition and student governance (by Pat Hynes and Ryan McElveen)

11/24/2014

3 Comments

Picture
One thing is certain at the University of Virginia: the more things change, the more they stay the same. In the aftermath of the Rolling Stone Magazine article detailing the pervasiveness of sexual assault at the University, administrators have issued communications claiming “contradictions between the U.Va. portrayed in the article and the U.Va. that we know.”

Unfortunately, the portrait of U.Va. that has emerged is precisely one that we could have painted during our experiences at the University—in the 1980s and 2000s—where the dominant culture of a fraternal good old boys club holds too much power over student life.

As local school board members, we know firsthand that a news article like that in Rolling Stone tells a story without the benefit of confidential information that the school is not at liberty to divulge. So we tread as lightly as we can. However, as alumni we recognize the painful truth in this tale. We both reacted to the article with the same heartsick sense that, if anything, the climate of sexual violence on Rugby Road has only worsened.

Until now, and for many years, the administration has opted too often for ignoring the truth instead of taking action. While promoting a positive image of the University, administrators simultaneously promote a myth of progress—or “phantom innovation”—in their constant quest for funding and prestige that masks the realities of life on grounds. When administrators avoid publicly addressing those realities, they ultimately fail to take responsibility for them.

Nowhere is this phenomenon more clearly represented than in the response to allegations of sexual assault. The perfect example occurred at the September Board of Visitors meeting at which U.Va. administrators deemed the school a model for handling sexual misconduct and downplayed the significance of the Title IX investigation of the University as a “standard compliance review.” Categorizing rape as “sexual misconduct” in University policy, and in the reactions of so many administrators, is chilling in itself.

The inappropriate manner in which administrators have handled public outcry over sexual assault is similar to how they have addressed other concerns brought forward by student advocates over the years. Too often they hide behind a system of “student self-governance” and a Board of Visitors historically dominated by good old boys instead of insisting that the most pernicious of University traditions be discarded.

Fairfax County Public Schools sends more young women to Virginia’s flagship university than any other school district. We are so proud of these women. We send them to U.Va. to realize the hopes and dreams of their families and communities with the basic expectation that they will be safe. To hear the story of Jackie–a vibrant young woman with a bright future, beaten down by brutal sexual violence at the hands of her own classmates—-is sickening. To know that she faced that tragedy alone for months, that her attackers have paid no price, and that her story is just one of many, exposes our beloved Academical Village as a benighted and shame-filled place.

While President Sullivan’s suspension of fraternal organizations and social activities until January 9 is a start, we call on her and the Board of Visitors to respond with humility and vigor to the painful truths that have become public. We call on them to remove from positions of trust those who knew, kept silent and have downplayed the importance of reform. And, most importantly, we call on them to change the image of U.Va. from the school that we knew to the school that we know it can be.

Pat Hynes (‘81) and Ryan McElveen (‘08) are members of the Fairfax County School Board. The opinions expressed are their own."

3 Comments

Posted by: McElveen Needs to Go ()
Date: July 04, 2015 04:24PM

Ryan McElveen needs to go. He was so quick to pounce on the UVA story, and was silent when it was shown to be fake.

However, he seems to embrace "fraternity culture" through his continued support of the Boosterthon fundraiser.

Posted by: please note ()
Date: July 04, 2015 04:40PM

Please note that Pat Hynes helped Ryan with the letter. Also, take a look at Ryan's twitter page:

https://twitter.com/RyanLMcElveen

Is this really someone you want making decisions for your kids?

Posted by: No Way to Ryan McElveen ()
Date: July 04, 2015 04:56PM

please note Wrote:
> Please note that Pat Hynes helped Ryan with the
> letter. Also, take a look at Ryan's twitter
> page:
>
>
> https://twitter.com/RyanLMcElveen
>
> Is this really someone you want making decisions
> for your kids?

Not for me, not for my kids. Hell, he probably can't make his own decisions. He's a real freak of nature.

Posted by: Fred Costello ()
Date: July 05, 2015 02:58PM

Kaufax is an incumbent and should be replaced

Posted by: Kaufax = Unopposed ()
Date: July 05, 2015 03:02PM

Republicans could not find a challenger so we are stuck with Kaufax. Hopefully the Republicans running for at large energize their campaigns and toss out McElveen, Moon, and Velkoff.

Posted by: Right....... ()
Date: July 05, 2015 06:52PM

Fred Costello Wrote:
> Kaufax is an incumbent and should be replaced

Hard to do if she is running unopposed.........duh.

Posted by: Cleanhouse ()
Date: July 05, 2015 07:25PM

All but Schultz, oh please, all but Schultz walk away! What can be done if stupid incumbents are running unopposed? If you haven't watched the past three BOE meetings, you should. Although they will make you sick, you need to see and hear the clowns at play. Schultz is doing all she can to keep it all together. It's terrible!

Posted by: Right.......... ()
Date: July 05, 2015 07:32PM

Cleanhouse Wrote:
> All but Schultz, oh please, all but Schultz walk
> away! What can be done if stupid incumbents are
> running unopposed? If you haven't watched the past
> three BOE meetings, you should. Although they will
> make you sick, you need to see and hear the clowns
> at play. Schultz is doing all she can to keep it
> all together. It's terrible!

If they are running unopposed there is nothing you can do but try to get people to vote the others out and put new in so the vote load can swing in a different direction. Just like Congress.

Posted by: Nicole Anderson ()
Date: July 06, 2015 07:12PM

Good evening, the 3 "At-Large" candidates who are running against Mr. Velkoff, Mr. Moon, & Mr. McElveen are Bob Copeland, Manar Jean-Jacques, & Jeanette Hough.

Posted by: another change ()
Date: July 06, 2015 07:28PM

It is my understanding that Wilson has withdrawn his candidacy from Sully School Board.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: July 06, 2015 07:34PM

Who, Who and WHAT!

Posted by: wankitywank ()
Date: July 07, 2015 02:07PM

Schultz is an idiot and, from what I've read here, most of you ultra conservative tools are idiots too.

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: July 07, 2015 02:34PM

another change Wrote:
> It is my understanding that Wilson has withdrawn
> his candidacy from Sully School Board.

It's my understanding that he withdrew from seeking the Republican endorsement, not a withdrawal from the race as a whole.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2015 02:34PM by BrianSchoeneman.

Posted by: LittleJohnny ()
Date: July 07, 2015 02:43PM

wankitywank Wrote:
> Schultz is an idiot and, from what I've read here,
> most of you ultra conservative tools are idiots
> too.

Which restroom do you choose to pee in?

Posted by: Ryan McElveen = The WRONG Choice ()
Date: September 25, 2015 10:45AM

Ryan McElveen

1) Voted himself a raise.

2) Accepted a prom date (though married), then had to back out due to pressure.

3) Was duped by the Rolling Stone story on rape.

4) Does very little, if anything, except visit schools and pose for selfies.

5) Is not responsive to voters.

Ryan McElveen is the WRONG man to have on the school board. Vote him out of office. If he gains another term, schools will get worse and taxes will go up.

Posted by: Schultzneedsbettercolleagues ()
Date: September 25, 2015 11:16AM

Moon and McElveen, these two in particular, must go now. We have to help Elizabeth Schultz get a better handle on things before FCPS tanks. She's doing all she can but she's only one person. We have to demand better stewardship with our money and children.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: September 25, 2015 11:53AM

The challenger in my district has made almost no effort. No appearance at civic association meetings. Vague campaign literature. The only reason I've seen to vote for the challenger is that the challenger is not the incumbent. Not good enough. I might not be satisfied with the incumbent, but challenger you need to give me a reason to vote FOR YOU. Otherwise I could just stay home.

Posted by: all you need to know ()
Date: September 25, 2015 01:37PM

VOTE AGAINST

Patty Reed (Providence Only)

Ryan McElveen (at-large)
Ilryong Moon (at-large)
Ted Velkoff (at-large)

If these people stay in office you could be looking at DOUBLE YOUR CURRENT TAXES and the schools waste most of the money.

Posted by: Disagree with Bill N. ()
Date: September 25, 2015 01:39PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> The challenger in my district has made almost no
> effort. No appearance at civic association
> meetings. Vague campaign literature. The only
> reason I've seen to vote for the challenger is
> that the challenger is not the incumbent. Not
> good enough. I might not be satisfied with the
> incumbent, but challenger you need to give me a
> reason to vote FOR YOU. Otherwise I could just
> stay home.

I disagree. Incumbent needs to have done something to impress me. I figure, if they have not done anything I know about, give someone else a chance. It is pretty obvious McElveen, Moon, and Velkoff are not helping the schools at all, and there's something seriously wrong with both McElveen (weird selfies, prom date, etc.) and why the F doesn't Moon learn to speak English?

Posted by: poor choices ()
Date: September 25, 2015 01:49PM

all you need to know Wrote:
> VOTE AGAINST
>
> Patty Reed (Providence Only)
>
> Ryan McElveen (at-large)
> Ilryong Moon (at-large)
> Ted Velkoff (at-large)
>
> If these people stay in office you could be
> looking at DOUBLE YOUR CURRENT TAXES and the
> schools waste most of the money.

If you think Patty Reed's opponent would not be for higher taxes, please look at her webpage. She's got all the same "global issues" going on as McElveen. She got the award for Dem Activist of the Year, etc. Patty, at least voted to delay the decision on the transgender issue. This gal will be a proponent of all things "progressive".

Posted by: poor choices is WRONG ()
Date: September 25, 2015 02:16PM

The Reed-Velkoff tax initiative could result in double taxes. Dalia Palchik does not favor higher taxes as she knows she will not get them. Marcus Simon favors the meal tax for schools but knows he will not get it.

Only fools like Reed and Velkoff think they can get tax authority or a tax increase.

Furthermore, Patty Reed appears to be in the pocket of Boosterthon and we all know what a problem that is. Not sure if she went on the latest Atlanta junket or not, but she won't respond on the issue.

Posted by: How pathetic ()
Date: September 25, 2015 02:39PM

Racist mental midgets discussing the a school board.
Attachments:
Look-son-Idiots.jpg

Posted by: Estrogen too high in Bill.N. ()
Date: September 25, 2015 04:03PM

Disagree with Bill N. Wrote:
> Bill.N. Wrote:
> -----
> > The challenger in my district has made almost
> no
> > effort. No appearance at civic association
> > meetings. Vague campaign literature. The only
> > reason I've seen to vote for the challenger is
> > that the challenger is not the incumbent. Not
> > good enough. I might not be satisfied with the
> > incumbent, but challenger you need to give me a
> > reason to vote FOR YOU. Otherwise I could just
> > stay home.
>
> I disagree.

That's because, unlike Bill.N., you have at least ½ a brain. Bill.N. is a very emotional girlyman.

Posted by: nigeer ()
Date: September 25, 2015 08:20PM

fuckin' mcelveen

Posted by: General schiltz ()
Date: September 25, 2015 09:32PM

Schultzneedsbettercolleagues Wrote:
> Moon and McElveen, these two in particular, must
> go now. We have to help Elizabeth Schultz get a
> better handle on things before FCPS tanks. She's
> doing all she can but she's only one person. We
> have to demand better stewardship with our money
> and children.
She weighs enough for several people, that much is clear. It's funny that she gets so worked up about transgender issues when she looks like a linebacker and acts like a drill sergeant.

Posted by: The List of Demands ()
Date: September 30, 2015 09:51AM

Here is The List of what we expect out of the School Board (and Administration)-

Follow your policies.
If somebody isn't doing this, make them. Immediately.
If they are still not cooperative, punish them. Make restitution to the victims of their poor management decisions.

If somebody expresses a concern, act interested. Be interested.
If it is a very valid concern, and what is going on conflicts with school policy, get the lead out and fix the problem. Right away. And show the person who presented with the problem that things have been fixed. Be willing to talk about it.
Don't say it is somebody else's problem and go take a nap. Particularly somebody who works for you. That makes it your problem, also.

Return phone calls and messages.

Show some common sense.

Be very careful with the money we give you. Don't let people spend it on frivolous things. Don't let people steal it. That means no fraudulent travel claims, no fancy restaurant meals that simply aren't necessary, no helping themselves to cash, no golf outings paid for by us, no luxury hotel rooms, etc.

Why is this so difficult?

Posted by: Further Guidance ()
Date: September 30, 2015 10:02AM

If a member of the public contacts you, and you refer the issue to the Office of Communications, make sure they respond. This is a growing trend-referring inquiries to that office, which then does not respond.

In fact, the lack of responses from that Office of Communications may well be a sign that it should be looked at for funding cuts as it does not appear to do anything even close to useful.

Posted by: The Guide ()
Date: September 30, 2015 10:23AM

Oh, so now they are having DCCO run interference for them. They are a piece of work. The Legal department helps them concoct bull!$&@ answers to questions.

Posted by: Fred Costello ()
Date: September 30, 2015 10:56AM

Here is the list of all candidates. Vote the incumbent out -- execpt Schultz and Reed -- the only ones that use reason instead of gut feelings. Reed's opponent is worse than the majority of incumbents.

Posted by: Reed = NO GOOD AT ALL ()
Date: September 30, 2015 01:07PM

Fred Costello Wrote:
> Here is the list of all candidates. Vote the
> incumbent out -- execpt Schultz and Reed -- the
> only ones that use reason instead of gut feelings.
> Reed's opponent is worse than the majority of
> incumbents.

Patty Reed and Ted Velkoff are the two pushing for taxation authority for the school board. Give them another 4 years they might succeed. That's reason enough to vote BOTH OF THEM out of office.

Reed is also very non responsive, that's another black mark against her. What has she accomplished, nothing but complaining about how she wants absolute fiscal control or some such crap. Yet, she does nothing about wasteful spending such as Garza's $2,000 month housing stipend, Zuluaga's trip to Korea and hiring consultants at $9,000/day. Sorry, time for you to go, Patty.

Posted by: good grief ()
Date: September 30, 2015 03:21PM

Patty's opponent will be MUCH worse. Her concerns are all about global citizenship, etc. McElveen junior.

Posted by: Reed = NO GOOD AT ALL ()
Date: September 30, 2015 03:42PM

Patty Reed is damaging her own campaign by not speaking out. All she's spoken out on is taxes, that's a game ender for her right there.

She has no trouble with runaway FCPS spending. She does not respond to emails or phone calls. She abstains from key votes. Why?

She needs to start talking, and fast-otherwise she's going to lose a lot of votes, as people are FED UP WITH FCPS.

Posted by: Your Worst Tax Nightmare! ()
Date: September 30, 2015 04:02PM

>If the schools cannot get their own taxation authority

If they ever got that authority, you will be royally screwed!

Posted by: A Major Hurdle ()
Date: September 30, 2015 05:22PM

Your Worst Tax Nightmare! Wrote:
> >If the schools cannot get their own taxation
> authority
>
> If they ever got that authority, you will be
> royally screwed!

The House of Delegates would have to give them that authority-the Board of Supervisors can't do it.

So it seems this is unlikely to happen.

What is upsetting is that Patty Reed and Ted Velkoff are so fixated on getting it.

Fairfax taxes would need to double in order to cover the shortfall and projected extra expenses.

Posted by: Will Vote for Jeanette Hough ()
Date: September 30, 2015 09:52PM

Saw Jeanette Hough at the Mt. Vernon community fair on Saturday. Was waiting for my kid to come out of a bounce house, and really wasn't in the mood to chat with the various candidates for sheriff, supervisor, etc.

She was polite and pleasant though. She also had her little girl with her, so I didn't want to be an a-hole. So we chatted for about 3 minutes. Her overall point - she is running because she feels like the current board no longer cares about the 2 groups they should be listening to the most: parents and taxpayers. She also wanted to know what was important to me as a parent, taxpayer, etc. I took her flyer and said thanks.

I believe her motivation is honest. And I can't stand McElveen and his cronies with their "priorities" - transgender bathrooms and snow day tweets and other bs, while my kid's school gets more crowded, advanced academics gets shipped off to another school, etc.

I am generally casting my vote "against" this year - against Karen Sanders for SB since she is the successor anointed by Dan Storck, the prior district SB member now running for supervisor - and definitely against McElveen, Moon, etc.

But I think I will also commit to vote "for" Hough and the 2 others on her card, Copeland and Jean-Jacques. I will also vote for W. Anthony Stacy for Mount Vernon SB member, since he seems to be similar in his intentions and concerns.

Posted by: Good Bye Boosterthon ()
Date: September 30, 2015 10:33PM

All of the new at large candidates and a couple of the district school board candidates are openly hostile to Boosterthon. If even a couple of them win, it will be finished here in Fairfax.

Date: September 30, 2015 10:34PM

IF The School Board did have taxing authority it would be a complete mess. the BOS funding "The County" Police Fire, Libraries, Homeless, Human Services, Public works, Metro ..Whatever.. Then the Schools "Digging In" with their hands out ever year ..MORE MORE! Expect at least a 20 % raise in taxes for Starters! Renters do pay "real estate taxes" in the sense that its in the rent, but they don't see it as that . And with all the "immigrants" coming in
renting and all the new rental units.. Expect .YA YA we want "Great Schools" Raise Taxes! Give Schools Tax Authority!

I think electing school board was a terrible idea. After all you voted for a BOS member, they appointed the school board member. if you did not like it vote for another BOS member. That was good enough. With all the new politics its like who can be held hostage for the most tax money! And with tax authority for the school board it would be a nightmare!

Posted by: Agree ()
Date: October 07, 2015 07:25AM

agree - elected school board was the beginning of the end. People DO NOT pay attention to the school board. Vote for Dems just because 60% of the county are Dems. the www.classsizecounts.com site has a voter's guide. Take a look - they have done a lot of the homework on the candidates, and it is a pretty balanced list, too. too bad more people don't read or pay attention to the school board issues - I guess they are too busy selling wrapping paper for the PTA or driving Johnnie to soccer practice.

Posted by: FCPS Mom ()
Date: October 07, 2015 10:43PM

Here's the Class Size Counts analysis of the two candidates in the Mt. Vernon District, Anthony Stacy and Karen Corbett Sanders.

http://classsizecounts.com/?page_id=406

It looks like both candidates are pretty well-qualified.

Date: October 07, 2015 10:51PM

Check this out on Jeanette Hough, Ilryong Moon, Ryan McElveen, and the other School Board at large candidates. McElveen is really funny - you've got to give him credit for the lipstick on the pig comment.

http://classsizecounts.com/?page_id=394

Date: October 07, 2015 11:09PM

The Kurzenhauser/Strauss write-up sounds like voters have a choice between a Naval Academy grad with kids at Langley and a retired preschool teacher.

http://classsizecounts.com/?page_id=388

Date: October 07, 2015 11:12PM

Sandy Evans doesn't have an opponent, and it sounds like her district is lucky to have her.

http://classsizecounts.com/?page_id=376

Date: October 07, 2015 11:20PM

Patty Reed and Dalia Palchik couldn't be more different.

http://classsizecounts.com/?page_id=374

Date: October 07, 2015 11:23PM

Vote for reason, And the current in house folk are against that. Fairfax Co Schools are full of wasted $$$. The 3rd floor of Gatehouse "Discredited principals, Teacher coaches. Turf Fields.

Take a look at Fairfax Countys bus garage at Newington with the old "Albin Tire" logo still on the building where the county hung a simple sign, That would never fly with FCPS, they would have to paint the whole side of the building for 5 thousand dollars. Just an example of waste. take a look see of their warehouse right next to the counties on Industrial road off Backlick across from the Wash Gas Co. Offices, see how theirs is "Gold Plated' compared to the counties. Waste Waste and more Waste with FCPS. And it is waste that DOES NOT HELP THE STUDENTS A BIT! That's the Horror! The Joy Ride is Over!

Posted by: Providence District ()
Date: October 08, 2015 07:05AM

Last night at the Prvidence District Candidates' forum, Dalia Palchik suggested that instead of spending tons of money on leased buildings for administration like Gatehouse and others, that we use the money to reduce class sizes and have the administrative employees use trailers that currently too many children are resigned to in schools.

Posted by: i have a question ()
Date: October 08, 2015 08:08AM

Providence District Wrote:
> Last night at the Prvidence District Candidates'
> forum, Dalia Palchik suggested that instead of
> spending tons of money on leased buildings for
> administration like Gatehouse and others, that we
> use the money to reduce class sizes and have the
> administrative employees use trailers that
> currently too many children are resigned to in
> schools.

How is that going to help? Was she serious? It does point out the hypocrisy of staff, but is she suggesting we put our kids in Gatehouse?

Please remember that Ms Palchik supports our continued support of "needs based staffing" which has resulted in the huge discrepancy in class sizes throughout the county.

Posted by: Not from Providence ()
Date: October 08, 2015 08:42AM

Providence District Wrote:
> Last night at the Prvidence District Candidates'
> forum, Dalia Palchik suggested that instead of
> spending tons of money on leased buildings for
> administration like Gatehouse and others, that we
> use the money to reduce class sizes and have the
> administrative employees use trailers that
> currently too many children are resigned to in
> schools.

That's a nice sentiment, but it sounds like she needs to do a little research to get her facts straight. FCPS owns Gatehouse. If she's suggesting that FCPS stop leasing other office space (like at Fairfax Ridge), then a good starting point would be to put more than 700 people at Gatehouse, which could hold over 1000 employees if the reception areas, offices and cubicles were smaller, and there were fewer (often empty) conference rooms.

Posted by: an observation ()
Date: October 08, 2015 09:02AM

Not from Providence Wrote:
> Providence District Wrote:
> -----
> > Last night at the Prvidence District
> Candidates'
> > forum, Dalia Palchik suggested that instead of
> > spending tons of money on leased buildings for
> > administration like Gatehouse and others, that
> we
> > use the money to reduce class sizes and have
> the
> > administrative employees use trailers that
> > currently too many children are resigned to in
> > schools.
>
> That's a nice sentiment, but it sounds like she
> needs to do a little research to get her facts
> straight. FCPS owns Gatehouse. If she's
> suggesting that FCPS stop leasing other office
> space (like at Fairfax Ridge), then a good
> starting point would be to put more than 700
> people at Gatehouse, which could hold over 1000
> employees if the reception areas, offices and
> cubicles were smaller, and there were fewer (often
> empty) conference rooms.

That makes sense. They won't do it.

Posted by: What??????? ()
Date: October 08, 2015 09:07AM

If we have empty conference rooms, then why have we been renting space at the Hilton, Lansdowne, the Annapolis Loew's, etc, for "meetings"?

Posted by: Reasoned opinion ()
Date: October 08, 2015 09:07AM

You start populating the School Board w/Republicans and pretty soon they start messing with the curriculum (e.g.; 'intelligent design', sex education = abstinence, etc.), cutting spending at the expense of the student and the quality of their education, etc. Ultimately, FCPS schools becomes just as shitty as the public schools in Texas or Kansas.

No thank you, I'll keep voting Democratic.

Posted by: Not from Providence ()
Date: October 08, 2015 09:11AM

Does anyone know when the Fairfax Ridge lease is up? There are reasons beyond saving money on rent to move more central staffers into Gatehouse. Back in 2008, Jack Dale argued that all the central staff needed to work in the same complex, so they could meet together more often or whatever.

Date: October 08, 2015 10:33PM

Reasoned opinion Wrote:
> You start populating the School Board
> w/Republicans and pretty soon they start messing
> with the curriculum (e.g.; 'intelligent design',
> sex education = abstinence, etc.), cutting
> spending at the expense of the student and the
> quality of their education, etc. Ultimately, FCPS
> schools becomes just as shitty as the public
> schools in Texas or Kansas.
>
> No thank you, I'll keep voting Democratic.

You're painting with a very broad brush here. The social conservatives are only one group within the Republican party.

Posted by: It's up ()
Date: October 09, 2015 08:02AM

Not from Providence Wrote:
> Does anyone know when the Fairfax Ridge lease is
> up? There are reasons beyond saving money on rent
> to move more central staffers into Gatehouse.
> Back in 2008, Jack Dale argued that all the
> central staff needed to work in the same complex,
> so they could meet together more often or
> whatever.

The lease is up. All of Fairfax Ridge is being moved to another office building in Merrifield...I think it's behind FFX hospital and south of Rt. 50

Posted by: Also from Providence ()
Date: November 01, 2015 04:32PM

While I agree most of the current school board needs to go, I would not recommend voting for the "political activist" Dalia Palchik over incumbent Patty Reed. Palchik's campaign tactic has been to smear her opponent by saying she is "supports discrimination" for abstaining from the transgender vote and associating Reed with what she refers to as a "hate group" (ie parents in the county who were opposed to the gender identity vote). Like, McElveen, Palchik has no children and would just be on the board to push more controversial agenda on parents and students.

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: November 01, 2015 04:39PM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 04:42AM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: Clifton Still Closed, Schultz 0 ()
Date: November 01, 2015 05:02PM

FCPS Mom Wrote:
> Reasoned opinion Wrote:
> -----
> > You start populating the School Board
> > w/Republicans and pretty soon they start
> messing
> > with the curriculum (e.g.; 'intelligent
> design',
> > sex education = abstinence, etc.), cutting
> > spending at the expense of the student and the
> > quality of their education, etc. Ultimately,
> FCPS
> > schools becomes just as shitty as the public
> > schools in Texas or Kansas.
> >
> > No thank you, I'll keep voting Democratic.
>
>
> You're painting with a very broad brush here. The
> social conservatives are only one group within the
> Republican party.

The only Republican on the School Board who is moderate is Patty Reed and the far right Republicans have it out for her. The rest are a bunch of foolish and reactionaries like Elizabeth Schultz, who has no business holding any public office.

Posted by: Any more info? ()
Date: November 01, 2015 05:12PM

I agree the FCPS Budget is way overspent and balloons every year, more and more. Time to reel it in.

Who are the ones to vote for? Looking for cliff notes, as to why. Thanks.

Posted by: I got this ()
Date: November 01, 2015 06:40PM

Any fool who votes for Janie Strauss and the current At-Large incumbent team of Ryan "I'm a queen" McElveen, Ilyrong "I can't speak english" Moon, and Ted "I'm dumber than doorknob" Velkoff deserves to have their taxes raises and all programs like sports, music and languages cut for their kids. These morons got it to this place of a $70 million budget gap and they don't have the collective brains to fix it. DUMP THEM NOW.

Date: November 01, 2015 06:53PM

I agree with I got this...start by getting rid of current at large members (McElveen, Moon and Velkoff) and vote for Copeland, Hough and Jean-Jacques - all 3 have pledged to have an independent audit done of the budget. You also vote for a district representative, so that would depend on where you live.

Posted by: mantutian ()
Date: November 01, 2015 06:55PM

Running as independents you say? Dalia Palchick is a self-proclaimed "progressive." Transgender bathrooms is only the beginning. She is so left of center it is not funny.

Check them all out before casting your ballot...better the devil you know.

Date: November 01, 2015 07:14PM

I got one of Dalia Palchik's smear campaign flyers in the mail the other day. I tried to ask via her FB campaign page if she also considers me "hateful" because my views are more conservative than hers (I'm not for mixed sex bathrooms and would like to keep my "opt out" rights) and as my school board representative would she listen to my opinions about my children's education even though they may differ from hers...It was promptly deleted from the page twice. I guess that means "NO".

Although she is an incumbent, I plan to wholeheartedly vote for Patty Reed in Providence over a childless, "political activist of the year" who is in favor of "diversity" and ignoring parents.

Posted by: Andy the Brietbart ()
Date: November 01, 2015 09:26PM

Our Gerry Connolly was a featured guest at a recent Dalia Palchik fundraiser in Mantua. One of many star Democrats who claim to be 'progressive.'

OP this is a major fail. Dalia is a Connolly flock-following Democrat. You may believe FairfaxUndergound is full of 'useful idiots,' but wrong. Give us some credit dog.

Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: November 01, 2015 09:43PM

How do you know if they are a liberal or right minded?

Posted by: Doesn't matter... ()
Date: November 01, 2015 09:53PM

Spew as much crap as you want on FFU. This is a cesspool board that represents a minuscule fringe of local crazies. Not worried one bit who will be re-elected or newly elected, Fairfax County citizens are pretty darn smart.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.