HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Ms.King MVHS principal FAILED AGAIN Math scores <70%
Posted by: WHS ()
Date: June 16, 2015 08:20AM

I have Inside infomation that the school test scores are at 64% they need 70% to pass

The estimable Nardos King, having, among many other gifts, that of prescience, saw fit to arrange for the retention of the equally estimable Menville "Flip" Flippen as a consultant.

Flipper's accomplishments are many. Modestly self-describing himself as a "psychotherapist" with "privileges at psychiatric hospitals" the truth that this self-effacing savant is uncomfortable touting is that he is, in actuality, a "licensed professional counselor" with a license in the coveted "inactive" status.

Flippen, to complete the picture of this remarkable man, also offers services to sports teams, corporations, and the military. Truly, no field of endeavor escapes him!

One can only hope that the combination of King's acumen and Flippen's broad range of skills will save Mount Vernon High School from the ignominy of poor test scores. Flippen, after all, trains horses and often sports rustic, western garb. The resulting picture is nothing if not one of complete reassurance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ms.King MVHS principal FAILED AGAIN Math scores <70%
Posted by: let's cut the crap ()
Date: June 16, 2015 10:00AM

Nardos King should be fired for poor performance and the yearbook ad scandal, as well as the hiring of this fake cowboy psychotherapist.

Flippen should be banned from future FCPS procurements. FCPS should make it known that they hired him and MVHS still tanked. Save other school districts some money.

The Flippens of the world is why FCPS spends so much money, The school board needs some reality therapy,

Posted by: Parentofsenior ()
Date: June 16, 2015 10:28AM

Leave her alone. She wasn't teaching the kids and you people think you can do better then go try!

Posted by: parent = idiot ()
Date: June 16, 2015 10:34AM

Nardos was the one who decided to hire the Flippen Group. Flippen "taught" the teachers. They taught the kids.

Nardos is responsible for running that school. She's incompetent and, she makes bad decisions. Flippen is just one of them.

For all anyone knows, Flippen's methods interfered with proper teaching. This should be investigated.

Posted by: Sure Thing ()
Date: June 16, 2015 10:57AM

Parentofsenior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Leave her alone. She wasn't teaching the kids and
> you people think you can do better then go try!

Sounds good. Stop taxing the entire population at horrendous rates for a laughable bureaucracy and teachers without incentives and we'll right on it.
Wait ... that would mean competition and we all know competition doesn't work. Right?

Posted by: job description, please? ()
Date: June 16, 2015 11:12AM

What exactly does Nardos King do all day?

1) Think about placing more yearbook ads for weight loss and sex products?

2) Review marketing materials from consultants with fake credentials?

3) Not manage the education process in her school?

We already know she doesn't teach. Maybe a good thing. What would happen to MVHS if Nardos were to take six months to live on Flippen's ranch? Would it make any difference?

The uncomfortable truth is that maybe we just don't need her or the many others like her.

Posted by: internetexpertanalyzer ()
Date: June 16, 2015 12:07PM

parent = idiot Wrote:
> Nardos was the one who decided to hire the Flippen
> Group. Flippen "taught" the teachers. They taught
> the kids.
>
> Nardos is responsible for running that school.
> She's incompetent and, she makes bad decisions.
> Flippen is just one of them.
>
> For all anyone knows, Flippen's methods interfered
> with proper teaching. This should be investigated.
Attachments:
ffxuexpert.jpg

Posted by: GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS ()
Date: June 16, 2015 02:51PM

They just hope the boost they get is not greater than 5% but I don't see why it should be

Posted by: definitely did ()
Date: June 16, 2015 05:37PM

"For all anyone knows, Flippen's methods interfered with proper teaching. This should be investigated."

Thanks for the laugh. You can't make this stuff up.

Posted by: Ying Ko ()
Date: June 16, 2015 06:01PM

Attachments:
A-Woman's-Secret-4.jpg

Posted by: read the reviews ()
Date: June 16, 2015 06:06PM

definitely did Wrote:
> "For all anyone knows, Flippen's methods
> interfered with proper teaching. This should be
> investigated."
>
> Thanks for the laugh. You can't make this stuff
> up.

Read some of reviews, by TEACHERS, of Flippen's so called training. Then do some looking into his background. Make sure you cover the lawsuit over his mother's estate and his relationship with horse training. Scary stuff. Would not surprise me if it numbed or confused teachers into a state of incompetence, something Nardos would at least feel comfortable with.

Posted by: ok ()
Date: June 17, 2015 04:53PM

https://twitter.com/washingtoncaps9

Go to that link if u want to see the picture sayign Algebra 63.93%

https://twitter.com/washingtoncaps9/status/610796384585822209

read the reviews Wrote:
> definitely did Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "For all anyone knows, Flippen's methods
> > interfered with proper teaching. This should be
> > investigated."
> >
> > Thanks for the laugh. You can't make this
> stuff
> > up.
>
>
> Read some of reviews, by TEACHERS, of Flippen's so
> called training. Then do some looking into his
> background. Make sure you cover the lawsuit over
> his mother's estate and his relationship with
> horse training. Scary stuff. Would not surprise me
> if it numbed or confused teachers into a state of
> incompetence, something Nardos would at least feel
> comfortable with.

Posted by: No Fan of Flip Flippen ()
Date: June 17, 2015 05:39PM

Flip Flippen is a scam artist. His credentials are dubious. He claims to serve schools, sports teams, corporations, the military. But what does he do, tell stories about camping and horses. He was even teamed up with some scam horse guy for a while.

The sad news is the money FCPS paid to Flippen could have been used to help with test scores.

Flippen got rich, MVHS is a joke.

If you look at her bio, Ms. Nardos King was NEVER a teacher, always and only an administrator. Why does she still have a job?

Posted by: okn ()
Date: June 17, 2015 05:52PM

did u look at the test score link? Just hope they only get a 4 to 5 point boost. so they will get 68 to 69%

No Fan of Flip Flippen Wrote:
> Flip Flippen is a scam artist. His credentials are
> dubious. He claims to serve schools, sports teams,
> corporations, the military. But what does he do,
> tell stories about camping and horses. He was even
> teamed up with some scam horse guy for a while.
>
> The sad news is the money FCPS paid to Flippen
> could have been used to help with test scores.
>
> Flippen got rich, MVHS is a joke.
>
> If you look at her bio, Ms. Nardos King was NEVER
> a teacher, always and only an administrator. Why
> does she still have a job?

Posted by: No Fan of Flip Flippen ()
Date: June 17, 2015 06:15PM

A school using, and paying Flip Flippen should not tolerate a score less than 90%. If Flippen can't deliver that, he needs to get lost.

Posted by: WE cant blame illegals ()
Date: June 17, 2015 06:30PM

No Fan of Flip Flippen Wrote:
> A school using, and paying Flip Flippen should not
> tolerate a score less than 90%. If Flippen can't
> deliver that, he needs to get lost.

If we removed LEP (ESL Kids) from the test scores they still have a 68% passing rate. Mount Vernon is a joke. Stuart High and Falls Church school with 50% ESL Population have higher test scores.

Posted by: we can't blame illegals is wrong ()
Date: June 17, 2015 10:00PM

I don't see how Flip Flippen could materially improve academic performance. By the same token, I do not see how Flippen's engagement could harm it either. His premise that if you just reach the hearts of students, you will reach their minds, is faulty (more on this below).

Most of us have no way to measure Nardos King's performance. FCPS is not necessarily a meritocracy, but even if she is merely in a range from modestly incompetent to modestly competent, her performance is not the cause of Mount Vernon's problems.

I have sympathy for teachers who teach high poverty kids from homes where lots of bad decisions get made. It makes their jobs harder, and many of the teachers who are denigrated here are in fact rather competent. Since many of them are white women, they are an easy target politically. God forbid one would point out the real problem - that of cognitive deficiencies of the students.

Educators and reformers - both of the conservative and liberal bent - glide over cognitively deficient students as if they are not the cause of the problem. Of course they are. The schools get fed, and feed us with, a steady diet of how if we just do this, or do that, well, we will solve the racial achievement gap. The racial achievement gap is the primary, if not the overwhelming concern of the schools. The reasons the Flippens get hired is because, well, so many labor under the false belief that there is a way to get the cognitively limited populations to radically improve.

I think recognizing the problem matters. Algebra? A certain percentage of the kids in Mount Vernon will never master it - they don't have the ability. Of course this sounds harsh, but the people who make the rules don't have to labor under the restraints of a 78 IQ. If we properly accounted for cognitive differences, well, we could have those kids work on reaching basic computational competence, as well as basic literacy, which could have a real impact on their working lives. (That, plus, work and life skills). Of course, this means tracking (hey, we do it in athletics) and would bring all sorts of criticism down on administrators who tried to implement instruction this way. Much better to pretend that all students can learn at a college level (they cannot), and bemoan the white privilege complex, while of course never mentioning Asians because they explode that meme.

What surprises me is the resistance to recognizing cognitive differences. Heck, we readily accept the population which can run a four minute mile or be a concert pianist is incredibly small. It is distribution at work. Yet when it comes to education, where cognitive distributions vary wildly among groups (and note I am emphatically NOT making a genetic point, just pointing to a demonstrated correlation), well, that cannot be accounted for.

This is why I cannot get to worked up over Mount Vernon, and whatever arguments one can make for or against it. It's challenge is obvious.

Posted by: Flip Flippen = WASTE OF MONEY ()
Date: June 17, 2015 10:06PM

we can't blame illegals is wrong Wrote:
> I don't see how Flip Flippen could materially
> improve academic performance. By the same token,
> I do not see how Flippen's engagement could harm
> it either.

If there's no improvement, why bother to hire him? It is not like his services come for free.

One could argue that his ridiculous approach confuses teachers, having a negative impact. An easily shown negative impact is the diversion of funds from PROVEN teaching methods.

>His premise that if you just reach the
> hearts of students, you will reach their minds, is
> faulty (more on this below).
>

If it is faulty, then why bother with him? It is also not like this is a new idea, it was on a Rush album in the 70s.

> Most of us have no way to measure Nardos King's
> performance. FCPS is not necessarily a
> meritocracy, but even if she is merely in a range
> from modestly incompetent to modestly competent,
> her performance is not the cause of Mount Vernon's
> problems.

Oh I disagree, at MVHS the buck stops with her. If she needs help she needs to ask for it, and that DOES NOT MEAN HIRING FLIPPEN AGAIN.

>
> I have sympathy for teachers who teach high
> poverty kids from homes where lots of bad
> decisions get made. It makes their jobs harder,
> and many of the teachers who are denigrated here
> are in fact rather competent. Since many of them
> are white women, they are an easy target
> politically. God forbid one would point out the
> real problem - that of cognitive deficiencies of
> the students.
>
> Educators and reformers - both of the conservative
> and liberal bent - glide over cognitively
> deficient students as if they are not the cause of
> the problem. Of course they are. The schools get
> fed, and feed us with, a steady diet of how if we
> just do this, or do that, well, we will solve the
> racial achievement gap. The racial achievement
> gap is the primary, if not the overwhelming
> concern of the schools. The reasons the Flippens
> get hired is because, well, so many labor under
> the false belief that there is a way to get the
> cognitively limited populations to radically
> improve.
>
> I think recognizing the problem matters. Algebra?
> A certain percentage of the kids in Mount Vernon
> will never master it - they don't have the
> ability. Of course this sounds harsh, but the
> people who make the rules don't have to labor
> under the restraints of a 78 IQ. If we properly
> accounted for cognitive differences, well, we
> could have those kids work on reaching basic
> computational competence, as well as basic
> literacy, which could have a real impact on their
> working lives. (That, plus, work and life skills).
> Of course, this means tracking (hey, we do it in
> athletics) and would bring all sorts of criticism
> down on administrators who tried to implement
> instruction this way. Much better to pretend
> that all students can learn at a college level
> (they cannot), and bemoan the white privilege
> complex, while of course never mentioning Asians
> because they explode that meme.
>
> What surprises me is the resistance to recognizing
> cognitive differences. Heck, we readily accept
> the population which can run a four minute mile or
> be a concert pianist is incredibly small. It is
> distribution at work. Yet when it comes to
> education, where cognitive distributions vary
> wildly among groups (and note I am emphatically
> NOT making a genetic point, just pointing to a
> demonstrated correlation), well, that cannot be
> accounted for.
>
> This is why I cannot get to worked up over Mount
> Vernon, and whatever arguments one can make for or
> against it. It's challenge is obvious.

Posted by: we can't blame illegals is wrong ()
Date: June 18, 2015 12:24PM

You make sound assertions as to why hiring Flippen is a waste of money. You are likely absolutely correct. But with or without Flippen, the school's demographics are the primary cause of its problems. Flippen just gives off lousy optics, and again, he was indeed likely a waste of money.

I am not sure anyone has made a case that King is the cause of the problems. Hiring Flippen may be in error, but I find it hard to believe the school's faculty cannot survive yet another snake oil seller. My guess is they can - faculty in FCPS are typically competent - an unpopular notion here to be sure - they are not made of tissue paper and will find a way forward irrespective of Flippen's teachings.

What King and FCPS cannot solve are the huge cognitive gaps of the students. They have a raw material problem. The average SAT scores for black students (math and verbal) for 2014 at this high school was 903. That is not sufficient to perform college work (back in my day, a 1000 was typically viewed as the cutoff, and that was before the test was adjusted to reflect higher scores). Yet same these kids will be subject to SOL tests which implicitly expect a future level of college performance - and we all then moan about failure and the need for more money and how NCLB is unfair and all that. Because in education, it is a Lake Wobegon world - everyone is above average. And of course the problem may be worse than it appears - it may be likely a significant number of black students don't even sit for the SAT. An open discussion over the data is needed - good luck getting that to happen.

The cognitive gaps are the "thing which cannot be mentioned", especially at education schools and in the education complex. As the shibboleth goes, all students are "learners". But we should recognize the gaps, and use that data to teach practical, effective subject matter, as well as life skills. The education industrial complex, both liberal and conservative, wont buy this, but really, most of the whining over education is just that - whining - and misses the elephant in the room. And this elephant has only become bigger with the waves of recent uncontrolled immigration.

Posted by: RIP Jaime Escalante ()
Date: June 18, 2015 01:57PM

Anyone, including Nardos King, who hires someone like Flippen without doing a thorough check of his credentials should be fired. That also applies to Eric Jensen, expert on everything, the Buck Institute (source of problematic travel claims) and the BMW driving, for profit, high priestess of mindfulness, Tara Brach.

It is possible to teach the kids, but doing so is made SO much harder with the diversions-of time and resources-by these consultants and all of the bureaucratic overhead at FCPS. We need teachers, not managers. As far as I can tell, Nardos King was never a teacher. Neither was Angela "case closed" Atwater, Ed.D.

Instead of a clear plan for schooling we have costly plumbing initiatives and a refusal to discuss how an opaque, questionable fundraiser (Boosterthon) is allowed to consume instructional hours.

Time to stand and deliver, amigos!

Posted by: George Pickett ()
Date: June 18, 2015 02:09PM

I thought the kids with the low scores had something to do with it.

Posted by: Pointed Head ()
Date: June 18, 2015 03:39PM

George Pickett Wrote:
> I thought the kids with the low scores had
> something to do with it.

Yes. Tax money pays for schools, and that includes Nardos King.

Nardos King ate up more tax money hiring Flippen. If she can get approval to hire Flip Flippen, she could get approval to hire someone who could really help if need be.

Karen Garza and the school board hop from one fad to another. When the latest fad consultant does not get results, they ask for more money. They say our property values will fall if the schools don't get funded. Well guess what, the schools ARE funded, they are just mismanaged.

It is telling that even though FCPS has had money to hire an independent auditor since 2014, they have not filled the position. Could it be because this auditor might expose Flippen and the rest as frauds?

Posted by: Full Flippin' Disclosure ()
Date: June 18, 2015 04:22PM

What has Nardos King done?

Hired Menville B. "Flip" Flippen.

Here are his qualifications. In Texas, he's a licensed professional counselor, but his license is inactive. I guess that means he's put his "psychotherapy" practice on hold to consult to the schools?
Attachments:
flippen_credentials.png

Posted by: anonnnn ()
Date: June 18, 2015 09:09PM

What is the deal with Atwater? She is completely useless. I believe she was hired in Ffx after another county (PW) rejected her repeatedly for a central admin position. She wasn't good enough for them, but she was good enough for Ffx.

Posted by: Angela "closed" Atwater, Ed.D ()
Date: June 18, 2015 09:30PM

Job history and education of Angela Atwater.
Attachments:
atwater_01.png
atwater_02.png

Posted by: anonnnn ()
Date: June 19, 2015 07:31AM

Wow. Those are some seriously unimpressive credentials. She has almost no actual teaching experience, barely any experience as a principal, and almost no central admin experience when Ffx hired her. What the hell??

Posted by: Pungent Observation ()
Date: June 19, 2015 10:48AM

It is true, in the "real world" Angela Atwater, Ed.D. has less than impressive credentials.

But what about the "world" of FCPS? What does she really do, except write letters declaring that matters are closed? If her position were to be abolished, would anyone notice?

Posted by: Dareisayit ()
Date: June 19, 2015 02:58PM

Could it be that fcps felt she would bring "diversity" to central admin?

Posted by: you can say it ()
Date: June 19, 2015 03:10PM

Dareisayit Wrote:
> Could it be that fcps felt she would bring
> "diversity" to central admin?

If they felt the need for diversity, is this the best they can do? She's useless.

Posted by: Annonn ()
Date: August 28, 2015 11:55PM

I want her fired. Now she going to take credit that her school got 70% in the math sols, but the real scores showes 69% 67% 67%

Posted by: Flippen Facts ()
Date: August 29, 2015 10:33AM

definitely did Wrote:
> investigated."
>
> up.

Flippen's methods are very cumbersome, eating up lots of time that could have been used for teaching. I see no reason to laugh at the claim that he is partially responsible for the problems.

Flippen has the teachers and students shake hands. Guess what, they do that in Germany, not a new idea of his.

Flippen thinks the idea of a "social contract" is his. Hey, Flip, ever hear of a guy called Rousseau, or don't they teach that in Texas, too busy with football?

Flippen also includes a lot of psychodrivel. He thinks he's Sigmund Freud or something. He's nothing more than a marriage counselor with delusions of grandeur. He'll go on and on about his "residential treatment facility" and "ranch" but the truth is that he inherited some property. The inheritance is described in detail in the documents of the messy lawsuits following his mother's death.

Let's just say that Menville "Flip" Flippen is a waste of money and a raging, egotistical asshole.

Posted by: Diehard Liberal ()
Date: August 30, 2015 08:18AM

We are trying to teach algebra to monkeys. What exactly do you expect for an outcome? Given what we have to work with, it's a miracle to get 60% passing.

Posted by: NcEWY ()
Date: August 30, 2015 10:50AM

>I have Inside infomation that the school test scores are at 64% they need 70% to pass

Amusingly, you might need math to understand that. So everything seems good.

Posted by: wellb ()
Date: August 30, 2015 10:59AM

NcEWY Wrote:
> >I have Inside infomation that the school test
> scores are at 64% they need 70% to pass
>
> Amusingly, you might need math to understand that.
> So everything seems good.

well they added 1% after the newest score and vdoe gave them 5% bosst so now they have 70%

Posted by: Benzell Floyd ()
Date: September 05, 2015 10:44AM

Agree. Well said.

Posted by: BobbyDucky ()
Date: September 06, 2015 06:18PM

im still in awe on this one

Posted by: Unbelievable444 ()
Date: September 07, 2015 08:55AM

wow terrible

Posted by: tax payerB ()
Date: September 14, 2015 09:38PM

I talked to her 3 weeks ago. she seems like a nice lady, but I don't think she had an idea in what she was doing. I am glad that she is going to Baltimore

Posted by: MYpGX ()
Date: September 15, 2015 02:01AM

parents fault 100%

all the info and teaching is available

it is taught at a snails pace so these modern day lazy fucking kids might understand it

parents do not PARENT at all and 99.9% of them could not pass the same tests that the children are given

so teach your kids not to be lazy fucks or stfu

Posted by: sorry you lose ()
Date: November 13, 2016 10:22PM

definitely did Wrote:
> investigated."
>
> up.

A California grand jury had concerns about the relationship between Flippen's methods and established curricula.

Read the entire report on Flippen here:

http://solano.courts.ca.gov/materials/Capturing%20Kids'%20Hearts.pdf

Hopefully the failure to pass the meals tax means Menville "Flip" Flippen won't be asked back here anytime soon.

Posted by: Moon ()
Date: November 13, 2016 11:07PM

Come on, this is a school with parents who are dumb enough to vote for the Hildebeast. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and in this case, it means most of the kids are severely retarded.

Posted by: An informed Trump supporter ()
Date: November 13, 2016 11:26PM

Moon Wrote:
> Come on, this is a school with parents who are
> dumb enough to vote for the Hildebeast. The apple
> doesn't fall far from the tree, and in this case,
> it means most of the kids are severely retarded.

Rest assured that Nardos King voted for that wench also. She's one of the worst things to have ever happened to Fairfax County. She'll probably cut football just to pay Flippen to mentor the teachers again, since she's obviously too incompetent and stupid to do it herself.

Posted by: Nardos has left the building ()
Date: November 14, 2016 11:18AM

Even though Nardos King has moved on to Baltimore, it is quite likely that FCPS would cancel sports to keep the consultant thing going. After all, Garza found her new job through a consulting contract, not by catering to a few sports crazy helicopter parents and their entitled kids.

Posted by: phelpsmarc ()
Date: November 14, 2016 01:31PM

MV HS is a lost cause.

When I went there, if you made it to Trig. in 12th grade, you were barely above average.

I wonder how many students make it that far now.

Mr. Kendall, Ms. Johnson, Ms. Wagner, Mr. McMillan, Mr. Stover all taught Algebra II and above.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.