HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Oakton Boys Basketball. Talented team , bad coaching!
Posted by: Concerned Parents ()
Date: June 15, 2015 11:33AM

Moms opinion:We have some really talented players over at Oakton and I'm curious as to how a team so so talented can only manage to win 3 games out of 19?. I am a parent of a child on the team and I watched about 10-13 games this season when I could. All I saw was the players getting yelled at by the Head Coach and none of them seemed interested in winning. I feel like the boys are being treated poorly and in turn it has effected their play.I've heard of many players transferring out of the program and many just quiting overall because of the coach. That's ridiculous to me.

We have some tall and athletic shooters who can really space the floor and run. Yet, our Head Coach chooses to call a play every freaking time one of the kids on Oakton touches the ball. He doesn't allow them to play the game and it's showing up in our overall record. The players give everything they can for this asshole and he berates and degrades them. A lot like Mike Rice at Rutgers from what I've heard. I'm curious as to how the players feel and what other parents think or alum or students who follow the program.

I think the coaching staff the Varsity Coach had assembled is even worst.He has a JV program run by a guy who never talks or calls plays on offense. The JV program has been horrible for years and the coach is fairly new but he doesn't seem to know how to coach.His lineups and the way he progresses the players is questionable at best. I hear he is a great young man but he cannot coach.

The Freshmen program is an entirely different story...

It's run by two brash young idiots who think they are hot shit because they are young and good looking.I swear this program has started deteriorating because these two love to act like they are players and get all hyped up and act stupid with the team while coaching. Last year they ran the score up on everyone en route to a 13-3 record and they seemed so smug and stupid about it. They aren't doing their jobs and as younger coaches I'd expect them to be more mature.

Dads opinion: Also, the Freshmen team had a great year so I cannot say the two young coaches are horrible but last year the younger of the two coaches ran the show and the team was playing amazing basketball. He seemed positive and in my opinion the Varsity Coach could maybe learn a thing or two from those two if he wasn't such an asshole. I've spoken with the coaching staff at length and they are all good people. Respectful, funny,outgoing and the kids seem to like them. My biggest issue is also with the Varsity Coach. Antics aside. He coaches the game at a pace that is unseen in today's game. We will never win with him here and the spotty talent we have. He chooses to run plays to one person all game until the other team doubles that player (us ally by the 3rd). Then the rest of his team is expected to now suddenly show up and when they don't they get bashed incessantly by this poor little man. It's ridiculous. He won with someone else's players. He cannot win with these kids because from what I hear they never practice. They are never allowed in the gym to get some games in and are only in practice to go over a million plays and get yelled at. It's sad that this man also charges ridiculous prices for camps and has also lied to many of his players to get them to work harder from what I hear.

His coaching staff is one I question overall, just because I don't know if they really all know the game.The Freshmen coaches seem great. And the Jv coaches seem to improve as the years move along but I just question the ages of the Freshmen coaches . I'll call them 1.A and 1.B because I've never known whose in charge plus i question their expirience. There have always been talks that the JV coach wanted to coach football at Oakton and not basketball. MAKES SENSE WHEN YOU SEE HIS TEAMS PLAY. The Varsity staff is weak. 3 total new assistants? (Freshmen coach included) who is the better of the two in my opinion but still?. Why? We will never win if our Head Coach never hires people who will question his ethics and rules. I see another down year for this program unfortunatly. Maybe 4 wins...

What do you think? 2 -4 wins is all I can see with this guy coaching.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oakton Boys Basketball. Talented team , bad coaching!
Posted by: I Speak Oakton Parent ()
Date: June 15, 2015 11:46AM

Concerned Parents Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Moms opinion:We have some really talented players
> over at Oakton and I'm curious as to how a team so
> so talented can only manage to win 3 games out of
> 19?. I am a parent of a child on the team and I
> watched about 10-13 games this season when I
> could. All I saw was the players getting yelled at
> by the Head Coach and none of them seemed
> interested in winning. I feel like the boys are
> being treated poorly and in turn it has effected
> their play.I've heard of many players transferring
> out of the program and many just quiting overall
> because of the coach. That's ridiculous to me.
>
> We have some tall and athletic shooters who can
> really space the floor and run. Yet, our Head
> Coach chooses to call a play every freaking time
> one of the kids on Oakton touches the ball. He
> doesn't allow them to play the game and it's
> showing up in our overall record. The players give
> everything they can for this asshole and he
> berates and degrades them. A lot like Mike Rice at
> Rutgers from what I've heard. I'm curious as to
> how the players feel and what other parents think
> or alum or students who follow the program.
>
> I think the coaching staff the Varsity Coach had
> assembled is even worst.He has a JV program run by
> a guy who never talks or calls plays on offense.
> The JV program has been horrible for years and the
> coach is fairly new but he doesn't seem to know
> how to coach.His lineups and the way he progresses
> the players is questionable at best. I hear he is
> a great young man but he cannot coach.
>
> The Freshmen program is an entirely different
> story...
>
> It's run by two brash young idiots who think they
> are hot shit because they are young and good
> looking.I swear this program has started
> deteriorating because these two love to act like
> they are players and get all hyped up and act
> stupid with the team while coaching. Last year
> they ran the score up on everyone en route to a
> 13-3 record and they seemed so smug and stupid
> about it. They aren't doing their jobs and as
> younger coaches I'd expect them to be more mature.
>
>
>
>
> Dads opinion: Also, the Freshmen team had a great
> year so I cannot say the two young coaches are
> horrible but last year the younger of the two
> coaches ran the show and the team was playing
> amazing basketball. He seemed positive and in my
> opinion the Varsity Coach could maybe learn a
> thing or two from those two if he wasn't such an
> asshole. I've spoken with the coaching staff at
> length and they are all good people. Respectful,
> funny,outgoing and the kids seem to like them. My
> biggest issue is also with the Varsity Coach.
> Antics aside. He coaches the game at a pace that
> is unseen in today's game. We will never win with
> him here and the spotty talent we have. He chooses
> to run plays to one person all game until the
> other team doubles that player (us ally by the
> 3rd). Then the rest of his team is expected to now
> suddenly show up and when they don't they get
> bashed incessantly by this poor little man. It's
> ridiculous. He won with someone else's players. He
> cannot win with these kids because from what I
> hear they never practice. They are never allowed
> in the gym to get some games in and are only in
> practice to go over a million plays and get yelled
> at. It's sad that this man also charges ridiculous
> prices for camps and has also lied to many of his
> players to get them to work harder from what I
> hear.
>
> His coaching staff is one I question overall, just
> because I don't know if they really all know the
> game.The Freshmen coaches seem great. And the Jv
> coaches seem to improve as the years move along
> but I just question the ages of the Freshmen
> coaches . I'll call them 1.A and 1.B because I've
> never known whose in charge plus i question their
> expirience. There have always been talks that
> the JV coach wanted to coach football at Oakton
> and not basketball. MAKES SENSE WHEN YOU SEE HIS
> TEAMS PLAY. The Varsity staff is weak. 3 total new
> assistants? (Freshmen coach included) who is the
> better of the two in my opinion but still?. Why?
> We will never win if our Head Coach never hires
> people who will question his ethics and rules. I
> see another down year for this program
> unfortunatly. Maybe 4 wins...
>
>
> What do you think? 2 -4 wins is all I can see with
> this guy coaching.

Whaaaaaa, little Trevor won't get that D-1 scholarship.

Posted by: The man ()
Date: June 15, 2015 12:54PM

You overestimate Oakton's talent. They are very average. And they play in the Concorde Conference (district). They aren't a better program than Westfield, Chantilly, Herndon or Robinson. So that leaves them fifth in front of Centreville. It's not a basketball school. Be happy with good baseball and football. If you can eek out 8-10 wins and upset into the regional tournament, you should be happy.

As with many previous basketball coaches, I'm guessing this one is having to deal with over the top Oakton parents who don't know the game and don't understand the bigger picture. Maybe Brooks is a tool, but he's fine in games I've seen him coach. He just doesn't have the talent of other Concorde teams except maybe CV

Posted by: TtCFy ()
Date: June 15, 2015 02:31PM

Go fuck yourself. It's high school basketball. Your kid will get into partying in college, then you'll look back at his basketball picture and wish he never played because then you'll be able see how fat he's getting under his neck. It's natural, all ex-athletes and current drunks go through it.

Point being, if your kid is playing on a team that's as shitty as you claim it is, basketball wasn't going to have a positive impact on his life trajectory anyway. Also, grow some fucking balls and take this to the coach or AD instead of this underhanded attempt to get information out there without standing by it.

Posted by: school sports = irrelevant ()
Date: June 15, 2015 02:44PM

Who cares about high school sports? Probably being cut back as a result of the budget anyway.

I once worked with a guy who still wore his letterman jacket. Talk about stuck in the past.

Posted by: sportsparent1111 ()
Date: June 15, 2015 07:59PM

I think you need to not have an opinion let the kid manage his own sports he is in highschool

Posted by: Oakton player ()
Date: June 16, 2015 07:29PM

Brooks is a bad coach in the school, probably the worst male coach. He makes it known he hates football players and doesn't want his basketball players playing football. He doesn't have a good roster of players because of those factors. When he came in and won his first year it was because of what the old coach did to develop that team. If you look at the teams he has developed they are all terrible. His best player would have been Robert Bacon. Where did he play college basketball? No where. Couldn't get any looks because Brooks shut him out and forced him to only play basketball. He was one of, if not, best athlete in the school. He could have gone D1 football no question. My brother played with him all those years and they both hated Brooks as a coach but liked him as a person.

There are a few guys on the team now who should be playing football. But Brooks tells us we can't. We have open gym and green days with kids who have no business on the court. Our workouts are unsupervised and when they are all we do is jump rope. We need help.

Posted by: Old Guy ()
Date: June 16, 2015 08:21PM

Brooks means well, but his teams are always so soft because he runs all the football and lacrosse athletes off the court.

He makes it clear that, for the most part, its only basketball or nothing.

Oakton had decent, not great, basketball when they had the multi sport athletes on the roster to give them their patented physicality.

The bigger issue at Oakton is a limp fish AD who allows coaches to dictate this one sport mentality. He is the most unpopular AD in Oakton history. It was never that way at Oakton over the years.

Posted by: Dad-Original poster ()
Date: June 16, 2015 08:52PM

I don't think he means well. Calling kids pussies and according to a player who commented not even having workout days is an issue. I get you have green days but if know coach is there what's the point?. Jump rope? Yeah this team may win 2

Posted by: PbY9h ()
Date: June 17, 2015 01:15PM

You guys realize this is a high school sports coach you're talking about? Like a normal teacher that gets paid a few thousand dollars extra to coach a team?

Those are the people I flick off in traffic. If I were a parent with any decent standing in society, I'd walk right up to this rube and tell him to go fist himself. Stop bowing down to a school teacher who basically volunteers as a coach. Also realize that high school sports are so insanely hyped up for no reason, you're literally better off spending your time beating off in a pitch black room listening to Rammstein.

Posted by: ncp6K ()
Date: June 17, 2015 01:18PM

as an ex high school athlete at a local HS here in fairfax county, I can tell you the only benefits were staying in shape, spending time with my boys and the girls that wanted to touch my dick just because I had a sports affiliation. I now know the game well enough to follow it.

That's it.

The kid who didn't get a D1 scholarship didn't get one because he wasn't good enough - not because some teacher/coach stood in the way of his future. This isn't Bud fucking Kilmer from Varsity Blues. James Van Der Beek was in his mid twenties when that movie was filmed you assholes.

Date: June 20, 2015 09:22AM

What are your opinions on the coaching staff?

Posted by: CcnwC ()
Date: June 20, 2015 10:24AM

When sports parents are bitching about coaches, it's hard for their children to respect the coaches and become an actual team.

Just as much a chance THAT'S the issue - the parents - and not the coaches.

You may be overestimating each player's talents, as well.

So many maybes - not enough facts - plenty of whining.

Posted by: Green days ()
Date: June 22, 2015 07:48PM

There were green days today at Oakton. Listening to the coaches and watching the practice you can see why they are terrible. Players and coaches came late. There was an obscene amount of cursing. They accomplished nothing and did zero individual skill work. It looked more like pick up at the park then a high school coached practice.

Date: June 22, 2015 08:00PM

So, green days, you were there?

I doubt it.

There is no one at Oakton that should expect a D1 mens basketball scholly. No one. That's a fact, I know more than a little bit about this.

Posted by: knower of all ()
Date: June 22, 2015 10:43PM

The fact that you clearly devote so much to thinking about your kids sports teams is going to warp their perception of what's important in life. While your kids are busy playing with balls, others are learning and preparing for the real world where their productive skills will allow them to provide for themselves. Yours are probably peaking now, as members of an apparently under-performing high school sports team.

Posted by: Green days ()
Date: June 23, 2015 11:59AM

So you were ther Old Guy? You seem to know a lot about Oakton. You talk about them on multiple topics. You work there? Coach there?

Seem you don't know much....

Date: June 23, 2015 02:04PM

No, Green days, I have no kids at Oakton and I don't work or coach there either.

I am, however, a HS sports fan. I go to games in a variety of sports, both boys and girls, at Oakton as well as other high schools in the area.

If the parents would stop hellicoptering out of control and leave the kids to be kids, high school can remain the last bastion of relative innocence in sports, where kids play because they just want to play.

Posted by: WXLwE ()
Date: June 23, 2015 02:20PM

The only thing worse than helicopter parents?

Old people with no affiliation that watch minors play sports. Boys AND Girls. They shouldn't let you in the door.

Posted by: Fytsx ()
Date: September 07, 2015 02:46PM

Want to hear from people who went to this school

Posted by: 0090909 ()
Date: September 07, 2015 05:23PM

"All I saw was the players getting yelled at by the Head Coach and none of them seemed interested in winning."

Maybe that's why the coach was yelling so much. . .

Oh, and in case you actually try thinking about this, 99% of very "good" high school coaches are very shitty teachers and staff members. They're there to coach, they spend all their time at school drawing up plays or watching sports on their computer, and their teaching responsibilities are a complete afterthought.

In high school I once went to the guidance counselor with a question about getting my schedule changed so I could get a different teacher for math. The math teacher I had was awful and the one I wanted had some space in her class. I'd done very well in her class the year before. The guidance counselor, who was the head football coach, let me talk for about 10 seconds before cutting me off and telling me that I just needed to try harder in English (English?!?) and I'd be fine. Then he told me he needed to get back to work, which was all the football plays spread out all over his desk. Four years of high school, one trip to the guidance counselor, and that's what I got.

Need another example? I know a popular, well-liked, successful coach at Oakton, have hung out with him a few times. Several times he's bragged to me about how little he does in the classroom, how little he helps the kids and prepares his lessons and so forth.

So go ahead and pull for that super-committed, laser focused basketball coach. He'll do a great job on the court, and he'll fuck over all the kids in the classroom.

Posted by: Can't Have It both Ways ()
Date: September 07, 2015 05:56PM

Brooks can't run off the football players who are also good basketball players, but still call his players pussies.

The fact is that they are very soft. He needs those football athletes, if only in practice, to help the pure basketball guys grow some tougher skin.

I will tell you that Brooks is a good Xs and Os coach, he knows the game. But he just doesn't understand the dynamics of high school athletics. He wants his kids to eat, breathe and sleep basketball, but high school sports are all about the great athletes and not so much the great one sport athlete.

He would be far more successful if he would take a page from the girls coach, Fred Priester, who encourages his players to play multiple sports. there is much to be learned in the crossover.

Now, as far as whiny parents go, you are DEFINITELY undermining your own kids' success. Stay out of it. You can only do harm.

Support your own kid and question his or her resolve. By bad mouthing the coach at the dinner table, you only give your kid an excuse to be a victim instead of a leader.

Be a parent that encourages your kid to work hard in all things (academics too!) and work at what they can control - namely their own skills and results - and stop blaming the coach.

Posted by: Bradley ()
Date: October 12, 2015 03:23PM

I'd be interested to hear more about these other Coaches that keep getting bashed? The Freshman, JV and Assistants. Do you know their backgrounds, anything?

HS is a tough avenue to Coach in, and the fact the Fairfax does not have middle school basketball or leagues ran by the HS makes it really tough to develop a program. I grew up playing basketball running the offensive and defensive schemes beginning when I was not even 10 years old, so by the time I made varsity I knew what to do, I just needed to get more in shape, stronger and develop how I played inside of those schemes. You can't do that anymore.

I will agree with the comment earlier about the district being stronger than what Oakton has walking in their hallways. Westfield (state runner up) and Herndon were very good last year and will be again this year, with everyone else being beatable. Oakton just seemed to not have enough to beat the teams they should have been able to beat last year. I'd bet this year you'll see 10 wins out of them though, and most likely a berth in Regionals.

Oh, and I played basketball for Coaches that cursed and yelled and threw stuff, it made me better because I needed to hear what they were saying and that's how it came across from them. If you attack a kid personally, that is a problem, but yelling to make your point, that's called Coaching.

Posted by: Voice Of Experience ()
Date: October 12, 2015 04:03PM

I have personally been witness to Coach Brooks' practices, from time to time, for years now.

Fundamentally, he is a good man who knows his X's and O's, and generally speaking, is a pretty decent HS basketball coach.

There is absolutely no debate that his teams are soft. It isn't for his want of trying to toughen them up a bit. Brooks comes from a NY style of basketball that is rooted in tough, physical play.

There is also no question that he has run off many of the better athletes at Oakton. many of them play football and, for the most part, he will not entertain players for his team that play football.

This is not a matter of talent. I think there are kids in the school that can make Oakton competitive.

The football kids aren't necessarily the maost talented basketball players. But what they do is create a physicality in practice that rubs off on the pure basketball players. Very symbiotic - the basketball players help the football athletes become better skilled and the football athletes help the pure basketball players to become more mentally and physically tough.

Looking into the past when Oakton had good teams, that was always what made Oakton pretty good. I wish they would get back to that mentality. Back in the day, you might beat Oakton, but you would aleways know you're in a fight and it would be a close game.

That is my only contructive criticism of Coach Brooks.

Second, I think the whining parents should look inside their own house and figure out that they have been enabling many of these kids to be soft most of their lives. A good swift kick in the ass with a "get over it and grow a pair" is what many of these kids need from their parents. The last thing they need is sympathy and more reason to be a victim.

The sooner these parents give their kids a chance to become adults the better off and the more successful and responsible they will become - academically, athletically, and socially.

Posted by: karen takaoka ()
Date: October 12, 2015 06:24PM

Give us a call. Put all the boys to bed after a nice blow job from Michelle and a warm shower. Things will look better in the morning. Michelle, like her sister, prefers black meat.

Posted by: michelle takaoka ()
Date: October 12, 2015 06:42PM

Turn these boys over to me. By day I'll WHIP them into shape. And I'll put them to sleep happy.

Posted by: Concorde Ball ()
Date: October 12, 2015 10:13PM

Not new, just another data point. Oakton does not have nearly the talent that every other concorde program has except C'ville. Just the way it is. And they do seem to be the least physical team year in and year out over the past 4 years.

As for coaching, I have heard the same thing about every other coach...tempo too slow, no freedom, weak program, little passion, etc., etc. Robinson probably has the best "program" top to bottom. Good balance of x/o, positive approach, solid out of season program.

Westfield coach is well-liked..a players coach. Kids seem to give good effort for him. Not known as a great x/o guy though.

Posted by: Your kid sucks ()
Date: October 12, 2015 10:31PM

IN summary... your kid sucks.

Posted by: Plain & Simple ()
Date: October 15, 2015 08:17PM

Concorde Ball Wrote:
> Not new, just another data point. Oakton does not
> have nearly the talent that every other concorde
> program has except C'ville. Just the way it is.
> And they do seem to be the least physical team
> year in and year out over the past 4 years.
>
> As for coaching, I have heard the same thing about
> every other coach...tempo too slow, no freedom,
> weak program, little passion, etc., etc. Robinson
> probably has the best "program" top to bottom.
> Good balance of x/o, positive approach, solid out
> of season program.
>
> Westfield coach is well-liked..a players coach.
> Kids seem to give good effort for him. Not known
> as a great x/o guy though.

Oakton is too white to have a good basketball team.

Posted by: google it ()
Date: October 15, 2015 09:54PM

Not always true. Sometimes whites can be good at basketball, just like sometimes you run across a nigger that scores well on an intelligence test.
It isn't the norm, but it can happen on occasion.

Posted by: i know them well ()
Date: October 16, 2015 07:03AM

Or a cop that doesn't murder negros, or a government employee who doesn't steal

Posted by: kill them all ()
Date: October 18, 2015 11:11PM

killing niggers shouldn't be a crime in virginia. lynch them all.

Posted by: Current Player ()
Date: October 20, 2015 02:36PM

I am a current player in the Oakton Basketball program. First off I'd like to say that Coach Brooks is god awful. One of the worst coaches I've ever witnessed. In my opinion Coach Malik and Coach Scarboro are both better coaches than him, and I've had experience being coached under both. Brooks is the main reason I haven't played football. He is also the reason for a lot of players quitting. He lost the best player on the JV team last season along with the most physical. I am not looking forward to a season with Brooks. The jump roping is just stupidity. Lastly, you have no right as a parent to call the JV coaches and Freshmen coaches out. The Freshmen coaches did deliver a very impressive season winning the district. So don't hate on them, they know the game and more importantly how to coach the game. The problem is two things, talent and brooks. Looks like we'll have to wait until 2016-17 season for success.

Posted by: Novabball ()
Date: October 20, 2015 04:15PM

Coming soon
Attachments:
image.jpeg

Posted by: grow a pair ()
Date: October 20, 2015 05:06PM

Here's your first life lesson Current Player.

Grow a pair and identify yourself. But no. You want to bitch without risk.

Faggot.

Posted by: players never know better ()
Date: October 21, 2015 03:47PM

As someone that has played for Coaches that got a bad reputation by those outside the program and by players that didn't like him, let me say this. I don't know how practices are run, coaching philosophy or why they were 2 for whatever last year, but coaches in high school can only coach what they are given. If you are a current player, that means you are not old enough yet to understand why you are being coached like you are. You've most likely been coddled too long by your parents and therefore having a coach that is tough on you and has expectations of you to listen and replicate his style of basketball is different and probably frustrating.

A piece of advice, and this goes for everyone in this thread, stop blaming the coach. If you can honestly say that you listen 100% of the time to what you are asked to do by your Coach and you unequivocally put forth every ounce of effort to follow his philosophy, run his offense, play his type of defense, then maybe, just maybe you have a reason to speak badly. But I can almost guarantee you that no one on that team does this, no one puts forth the effort or follows the instructions they are given. I've never seen a mediocre team on the same page as what they were being asked to do, so one that falls below mediocre can't even be close to putting forth the effort.

Buck up young man, get you and your teammates on board for this upcoming season to be 100% involved with what your coaching staff asks you to do. If you do this, as a full team, with 100% effort, post your result here at the end of the season, I'd bet it'll be more impressive than you think.

Oh, and just an fyi, in high school, we jumped rope in the offseason every day, with sand-weighted ropes, and we were better because of it.

Posted by: Voice of experience ()
Date: October 21, 2015 04:18PM

I can tell you that jumping rope is part of every single NCAA div 1 program in basketball and football, as well as many high school programs.

As a player, you just lost your credibility with me for thinking its stupid.

I'm believing right now that you are playing the victim attitude and part of the problem and definitely not part of any solution.

BE ACCOUNTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coach Brooks DID win a district title, which is better than any of his predecessors.

Posted by: Dunlap is the GOAT ()
Date: October 29, 2015 07:37PM

Man stfu Dunlap is the GOAT

Date: January 28, 2016 10:14AM

Well my take on the coaches is that Brooks still doesnot know how to reach his players. The 2 guys that do aren't moving up. Malik I don't think coaches at Oakton anymore and Dunlap has been a Freshmen coach for years now.

Malik was good not great he was 21 years old and very much a players coach, from what I heard he was a motivational guy who preached don't be a pussy. Well his teama would win now he left. JV is doing well this year though shockingly.

Posted by: Malik was good ()
Date: January 28, 2016 10:15AM

Coach Malik wasnt like that at all. He just came from a basketball background and preached work ethics and drive. IF YOU'RE MAD AT HIM AND DUNLAP YOU'RE A DUCKING CLOWN.

Posted by: Current player ()
Date: January 28, 2016 10:21AM

Malik made me a better player taught me about hardships and even trained a friend of mine to make JV. Malik is a good guy, he always talked with Seneca and Dunlap about how to get better as a coach. I think when he started he was 21,at the time I didn't realize how young he really was. But he was fun and taught us so much. We won the JV championship under his guidance in the summer and I could tell how happy he was with us. But, he never seemed happy with Brooks. Maliks only downside as a coach was he hated Brooks and Brooks hated him.I think if their relationship had been better Oakton would have prospered into the future years. BUT. BROOKS DIDN'T LIKE HIM ENOUGH.

Secondly, BrooKS hired Conner Howell and he sucked. MALIK SHOULD HAVE MOVED UP TO JV . BUT HE BECAME HEAD COACH OF FRESHMEN. OUR SCHOOLS A JOKE AT BASKETBALL AND WE LOST OUR ONLY ACTUAL PLAYERS COACH WHO COULD REACH US.

Posted by: Aau coach ()
Date: January 28, 2016 10:24AM

I have about 5 guys who played for Malik and Brooks at Oakton, Malik is a coaches coach and players coach, he knows the game, graduated top of class at GMU and knows how to treat and talk to his players.AAU has changed how we must coach and Malik taught me as a 30 year coach that. Please stop dropping this young man's name and linking him to such bs. His IQ is just too high to deal with Coach Brooks bullshit.

BY THE WAY , EVERY KID I'VE EVER COACHED ON MY AAU TEAM HAS HATED BROOKS, PARENTS INCLUDED, IT'S NOT A TALENT THING , IT'S A COACHING THING.

Posted by: Oakton Student ()
Date: January 28, 2016 08:35PM

As an Oakton student, I have observed Coach Brooks plays favorites and it is obvious his two favorites are the useless junior Joe Briggs and Jacob Posz. They don't produce at all and any potential they did have, brooks killed. He's a terrible coach and teacher and we would be much better off with Malik or Scarborough as HC. The teams' talent maybe isnt amazing but it is definitely better than their record shows. It's all in the coaching and brooks is the problem.

Posted by: steve k2* ()
Date: January 28, 2016 09:43PM

I hate anonymous cowards posting on here. I don't know much about Oakton, but I know they've had a very difficult schedule and have turned a 2 win team from last years into 6 wins already with a lot of season left to go.

Students, parents, coaches post your name if you are going to slander someone or even mention other coaches on the staff name.

Posted by: my observances ()
Date: January 30, 2016 02:19AM

Oakton Student Wrote:
> As an Oakton student, I have observed Coach Brooks
> plays favorites and it is obvious his two
> favorites are the useless junior Joe Briggs and
> Jacob Posz. They don't produce at all and any
> potential they did have, brooks killed. He's a
> terrible coach and teacher and we would be much
> better off with Malik or Scarborough as HC. The
> teams' talent maybe isnt amazing but it is
> definitely better than their record shows. It's
> all in the coaching and brooks is the problem.

Oakton Student- I've been to a few games early in the season, must say Posz is quite good, not sure who other kid is.

Posted by: Oakton Sucks. Go Westfield ()
Date: February 05, 2016 01:34PM

Alex Schultz is on the team

Posted by: Otakon ()
Date: February 05, 2016 03:01PM

Oakton will field a conference winner once maybe every 10-15 years or so, but they just aren't that good at basketball...... Just from a talent standpoint alone, it is easy to tell because Oakton has not had a single notable college player I can think of in this time period whereas Chantilly, Westfield and Herndon have had a bunch. As crappy as this coach may be, (and I've had a bunch verify that he sucks) talent is more important than coaching by far!!!!!

Just a list of notable players in the last few seasons:

Chantilly: John Manning(D1 St. Louis), Justin May (D1 Delaware- D3 Salisbury) Bryan Sydnor (D3 UVA-Wise) Kethan Savage- transferred to Episcopal (D1 GW), Jake Wiegand( D1 UIC), Devin Ballam (D3 CNU)

Herndon: Austin Hamilton (D1 Elon), Will Ferguson (D1 Texas State), Dorian Johnson (D2 Barton) Kent Auslander and John Auslander(D1 Maryland Walk-on), Johnathan Beltran (D3 Marymount)

Westfield: ( Blake Francis( D1 Towson), Tyler Scanlon (D1 Boston), Mo Hubbard (Ball State D1), Chris Kearney (D3 All-American at Catholic), Peter Scanlon (D3 Johns Hopkins), Zach Elcano (D1 American) Marcellus Holley (D3 UMW)

Oakton: ?????????

Posted by: Not Fair ()
Date: February 05, 2016 04:31PM

It's not fair to compare Oakton to Chantilly, Herndon and Westfield. Chantilly and Herndon have great youth programs (HYA and CYA). And Westfield... They're Westfield, they're just good at sports.

Posted by: Oakton player ()
Date: February 08, 2016 06:52PM

Not fair to compare us? You obviously aren't aware we just beat Herndon and Chantilly back to back. Keep hiding behind your key board though...

Posted by: lol oakton ()
Date: February 08, 2016 08:56PM

Everyone already knows that Oakton's program is a joke lmao Tilly sucks and Herndon will beat your ass once that games start to matter feel bad for players who graduate this year for them cuz they might be decent next year per a friend who teaches their.

Posted by: This Guy Brooks holds kids back! ()
Date: February 10, 2016 05:23AM

Oakton has its issues but they seem from the coaches not looking to move their players onto college.Brooks doesn't care if his guys make it to the next level. He cares about what u give him now so he looks good. BACON COULD HAVE GONE LOWEST D3. YET BROOKS DIDN'T DO A DAMN THING TO HELP HIM.

Posted by: SON PLAYS AT OAKTON ()
Date: February 10, 2016 05:26AM

Heard there was a thread about our Program.

All the guys did well this year, no more losers who are 6-10 and can't dunk. This team was good. As long as Posz stays and doesn't transfer they will be good.

Coaches are better this year. Brooks I've never liked.

Posted by: Otakon ()
Date: February 10, 2016 01:44PM

Lets not forget Brooks did win the district tourney during his first year as a head coach. Regardless, that roster had about 7-8 players better than every single player on this year's squad.....

Posted by: ANyone can win ()
Date: February 18, 2016 02:12PM

We know he won his 1st year, those weren't his players, the whole point of this thread was too point out that Oakton doesn't train their players nor do the coaches know what they are doing. I don't know if they won their playoff game but Brooks will be gone in a year or 2 . He isn't a winner. He won with someone else's players and had one of the best Big men to ever attend the school. Brooks is a fucking joke.

Posted by: Talent ()
Date: February 18, 2016 03:44PM

You can't win without talent in the Concorde district. Last year and this year it was basically a race to see who would get second place, Westfield, obviously being number 1. Give it time. You can't judged the coach when he's coaching in a really tough district on an above average team at best. Oakton will get their turn as the best team in the Concorde sometime soon, all it takes is one player.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.