HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax Unkind to Chicken Keepers or the humor of Chickens
Posted by: Rod ()
Date: May 14, 2009 08:07AM

For thousands of years people have kept livestock. Those that were best at it survived and thrived. There is something therapeutic in watching over and caring for animals.

Fairfaxians have sustained their need to care for animals by keeping socially acceptable dogs and cats. But the problem is that our environment is become overwhelmed by this. Creeks and streams in Fairfax County have become overwhelmed by dog feces as a major pollutant.

There are growing numbers of urbanites who are finding it rewarding to keep small numbers of hens in small attractively designed pens. There is an article about them in today's Washington Post. There is a new magazine for them.

Is a person with a few hens more of a nuisance to society and the environment then a person with a few dogs? A Yelping dog is perhaps the worse offender. Every couple of years people will get a young dog with the mistaken idea that it will be happy by itself chained to a doghouse because it's too much of a nuisance in the house and the whole neighborhood suffers with the whelping. Hens don't whelp!

The problem is Fairfax County only allows people with two acres or more to have chickens which leaves out a lot of people.There was I think a fear in Fairfax of rural people, a fear that "hillbillies" would move in right next door and there goes the nieghberhood.

But this is not that. this is sophisticated people who are finding it kind of therapeutic and better for the environment to raise a few hens in acceptable housing. What's wrong with that? Can't Fairfax county ordinances be changed to reflect this?

Americans have been and continue to be cought up in the humor of chickens. Witness the perdue chicken add. Or the howls of laughter when a movie audience reacts to a chicken apearing. The humor of someone raising "chickens(!)" right next door is overwhelming.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax Unkind to Chicken Keepers or the humor of Chickens
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: May 14, 2009 08:16AM

Rod Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------
>>
>>> Or the howls of laughter when a movie audience reacts to a chicken apearing.

lol WTF?

d
Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: May 14, 2009 08:22AM

s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 01:29PM by inkahootz.

Date: May 14, 2009 08:40AM

The thought of a theater full of people laughing hysterically as a chicken appears on screen is just very bizarre.

But I understand Rod's post. When I was growing up, the people across the road from us kept chickens. Roosters are VERY noisy animals. Not just in the morning- those things will squawk all freekin day long. And unlike dogs, they can't be trained to keep quiet. Chicken coops are also pretty dirty, and attract all kinds of unwanted pests (mice, foxes, rats, etc.) I don't think most people living in a dense suburban environment would really appreciate a mini chicken farm in their neighborhood! Maybe in the rural parts of Clifton, but not just anywhere.

inkahootz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TheMeeper Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Rod Wrote:
> > -----------------------------------------------
> > >>
> > >>> Or the howls of laughter when a movie
> audience
> > reacts to a chicken apearing.
> >
> >
> > lol WTF?
>
>
> That has to be the weirdest and most random post
> ever!

=
Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: May 14, 2009 08:45AM

=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 01:08PM by inkahootz.

Posted by: Dr. Fill ()
Date: May 14, 2009 08:54AM

Rod Wrote:

> The problem is Fairfax County only allows people
> with two acres or more to have chickens which
> leaves out a lot of people.There was I think a
> fear in Fairfax of rural people, a fear that
> "hillbillies" would move in right next door and
> there goes the nieghberhood.
>
> But this is not that. this is sophisticated people
> who are finding it kind of therapeutic and better
> for the environment to raise a few hens in
> acceptable housing. What's wrong with that? Can't
> Fairfax county ordinances be changed to reflect
> this?

The only people in Fairfax I know of who violate the Chickens Per Acre laws
are illegal aliens. Your obvious contempt towards "hillbillies" is
racist. You need help. If you have such a pathological need for chickens,
I'd say you REALLY need help. BTW, if you have illegal chickens, don't tell
Vince. I suspect he may be Alektorophobic.

Date: May 14, 2009 09:28AM

But so also are dogs, which we all love. Dog feces attract rats big time. Cat food left out doors as many do attract fox and skunk. Dogs are regulated or else they become a nuisance in the urban environment and so should chickens, chicken enthusiasts are saying.

Chickens poorly kept are a problem but dogs poorly kept are also a problem. Chicken raisers are willing to pay a license fee even beyond what dog keepers pay. We'd need to adapt regulations which could be held in public meetings. "The Fairfax Chicken regulation meetings" they could be called.

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Chicken coops are also
> pretty dirty, and attract all kinds of unwanted
> pests (mice, foxes, rats, etc.)

Date: May 14, 2009 10:51AM

Rod Wrote:
>
>> "The Fairfax Chicken regulation meetings" they could be called.

I'm sure FCPD would be thrilled by the impending surge in noise complaints as our county's subdivisions become home to thousands of loud, screeching birds.

Date: May 14, 2009 11:42AM

Fairfax county already dose have loud noises which the police do police. The only diference would be that this would be regulated and licensed thus easy to police. And would pay for itself with the license fee.Generally if you read the article municipalities have allowed the keeping of a few hens as opposed to roosters. Roosters crow or screach hens do not generally.

The acceptance of chickens as pets would beside offering diversity offer the possability that people might keep chickens instead of dogs. Dogs by there sheer nmbers polute.

Posted by: Tinfoil Hat ()
Date: May 14, 2009 12:03PM

CHICKENS DONT MAKE NOISE YOU IDIOTS, ROOSTERS DO. CHICKENS MAKE EGGS WHICH ARE GREAT! AND CHICKEN MILK, A DELACACY, IF A LITTLE HARD TO MILK - THE TEETS ARE TINY AND REQUIRE VERY NIMBLE FINGERS

Posted by: C. Hicken Tender ()
Date: May 15, 2009 11:18AM

Tinfoil Hat Wrote:
> CHICKENS DONT MAKE NOISE YOU IDIOTS, ROOSTERS DO.
> CHICKENS MAKE EGGS WHICH ARE GREAT! AND CHICKEN
> MILK, A DELACACY, IF A LITTLE HARD TO MILK - THE
> TEETS ARE TINY AND REQUIRE VERY NIMBLE FINGERS

Chicken is the name of the breed. Rooster and hen are the names of the genders of the breed. Therefore, chickens DO in fact make noise. So, who's the idiot now? However, you are correct that chicken milk is a delicacy!

Posted by: Tinfoill Hat ()
Date: May 15, 2009 11:22AM

I STAND CORRECTED ! HA HA

SO WHERE CAN I BUY THE BEST CHICKENS IN THIS FAIR TOWN

Posted by: YA____ ()
Date: May 15, 2009 12:28PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> The thought of a theater full of people laughing
> hysterically as a chicken appears on screen is
> just very bizarre.
>
> But I understand Rod's post. When I was growing
> up, the people across the road from us kept
> chickens.

Meeper....why did the chicken cross the road?

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: May 15, 2009 01:04PM

inkahootz Wrote:

>
> Is that next on the agenda for club RES? lol

No, I have no interest in chickens. But if anyone wants to give me a meyers parrot, that would be acceptable.

I spent two summers in high school working for a potter that had chickens, goats, and sheep. He didn't live on a farm (or next to any farms), but had several acres of land. The chickens just wandered around and really seemed to like the bamboo growing on one side of the property. They were pretty quiet and never became a nuisance. On the other hand, when the sheep got out I did not leave the house. I am not little bo peep.

I also knew a family that owned a garden center and raised a type of chicken they called silkies. I believe they were supposed to be more ornamental than anything... not for eating or egg laying.

Edit: Adding a picture of a silkie bantam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 01:06PM by Genevieve.
Attachments:
Studio_SplshSlkPlt_8182_L.jpg

Posted by: in love ()
Date: May 15, 2009 09:01PM

Damn spunky cleans up good.

Date: May 15, 2009 09:52PM

I'm waiting for someone to say, "A chicken for every yard!- not to eat though as kind of a friend"

Posted by: curious ()
Date: May 15, 2009 09:55PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/13/AR2009051301051.html

Shenandoah is a red-feathered hen nestled under the right arm of Anna Mae Conrad, who is 10 and lives in Takoma Park. "When you hold her for a long time," Anna Mae says, "you can feel her relax; you can feel her putting pressure on you." Anna Mae strokes the stole of plumage around Shenandoah's neck, and the bird closes her eyes in a moment of chicken bliss. "This is actually my chicken."

Fairfax County

Chickens are allowed only on lots of two acres or more, and henhouses cannot be closer than 100 feet from a neighboring property line.

DC Area Chicken Laws:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/13/AR2009051301069.html?sid=ST2009051301310

Posted by: luke ()
Date: May 20, 2009 09:39PM

Rod,
Get a job you f'n moron. only illegals think they can have livestock
in the backyard...if i find someone that has chickens in their back yard..
consider them gone....can't wait to get the bbq goin'

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: May 21, 2009 01:24PM

Genevieve Wrote:
> Edit: Adding a picture of a silkie bantam.

What sort of unholy abomination is that?!

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: Skippy ()
Date: May 05, 2010 11:05PM

Saying that someone is a "hillbillie" is not a racist remark; it would be a prejudice remark. "Hillbillies" are not a race of people. Just sayin'. What do I know? I'm just a well-educated person from Kentucky.

Posted by: WElliott ()
Date: October 08, 2011 09:43PM

I have recently become fascinated with growing my own food. I have two aquaponic systems, a winter green house, a successful Tilapia breeding setup, and I am planning on ornamental fruit bearing bushes for my front yard. I live in a townhouse, so I am restricted in the space I have available. But I do have a small back yard and I would love to have a small coop with two or three hens for fresh eggs. I was very disappointed to find out that it is illegal for me to have them unless I have two acres of land. I pray they change the law, but I am seriously considering getting them anyway and hoping that nobody notices.

Posted by: poopstick ()
Date: October 08, 2011 11:59PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> The thought of a theater full of people laughing
> hysterically as a chicken appears on screen is
> just very bizarre.
>

LOL... I can't stop laughing. It's beyond bizarre. Who are these people that howl with laughter when they see a chicken? WTF is the OP talking about? What does this have to do with chickens as an annoyance? Is your neighbor making fun of you for keeping chickens? So many questions...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.