HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 123456AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 6
>FCPS High School Music Programs 2015-16<
Posted by: ***** ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:24AM

http://fhsbands.org/documents/MB_Interest_Meeting_05_12_2015.pdf

Here we go again. Fairfax Band is first out of the gate.

I don't know who is dealing with the student ID numbers, but volunteers are not allowed to do that.

Tag Day is optional. Really, it is. It is in bold face, and not marked mandatory, but I know how it goes. All fundraisers are optional. The Tag Day money is supposed to go into a school account according to what is out there now. Students are involved.

The 2015-16 percussion fee has been increased to $30 per semester plus another $30 for Marching Band. So, your percussion fee went up from $52 a year to $90. Congratulation. You won the fee increase award. I did not see that the other instrumentalists who play a different instrument for marching are being assessed anything additional, but if you are doing either of these to help out the school, you should not charged anyway. Apparently they liked what Madison was doing.

Technically, pre-season and pre-season Away Camp are optional. That is what I was told. And that does not mean that you can take a lower Band class instead if you can't do these, making these optional. That means that you can march and be in the top level Band if you don't do pre-season and Away Camp. Now, you will drive your teacher and the other kids nuts and be totally lost if you don't do these, but they are technically optional. The permission form does not appear to be worded correctly. I know of more than one kid who showed up on the first day of school and marched and did the whole nine yards. How did they it I don't know.

The Away Camp should be priced out separately from the school-based pre-season marching camp. They are two completely different things. Some kids skip the away camp but do the school-based camp, or vice versa.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, write any big checks to Boosters for "travel supplements", "pre-season supplement", "deposit for XYZ school-sponsored activity", etc. Those checks need to be written to the school and deposited into a county account.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: >FCPS High School Music Programs 2015-16<
Posted by: whatiswrongwithyou ()
Date: May 28, 2015 12:03PM

What is your freaking problem? You whined, bitched and moaned DOZENS of times about how the bands are not charging the full amounts allowed by FCPS. You berated and humiliated boosters for not charging the full allowable amount. You made fun of them for not charging the full amount allowed by FCPS. Implied numerous times band parents are getting away with something and should be paying MORE.

Now when they do you act like there is something wrong with that.

Date: May 28, 2015 12:18PM

whatiswrongwithyou Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is your freaking problem? You whined,
> bitched and moaned DOZENS of times about how the
> bands are not charging the full amounts allowed by
> FCPS. You berated and humiliated boosters for not
> charging the full allowable amount. You made fun
> of them for not charging the full amount allowed
> by FCPS. Implied numerous times band parents are
> getting away with something and should be paying
> MORE.
>
> Now when they do you act like there is something
> wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with me.

1. Boosters aren't supposed to be charging anything. That was a huge problem. That CAN'T charge anything.

2. Nothing wrong with charging the full FCPS fees. I was the one who suggested that because the parents and maybe the teachers were turning around and bugging people to sell stuff instead, or taking financial indiscretions with parents in order to achieve the desired goals.

You are obviously confused.

Who is going next?

Posted by: whatiswrongwithyou ()
Date: May 28, 2015 08:31PM

It is your position then that the percussion fee is not an FCPS fee? You demanded in the most vitriolic terms that FCPS fees need to be maxed out. So what is your issue with percussion fees being increased? You argued that band parents need to be paying MORE.

Posted by: ****** ()
Date: May 29, 2015 07:47AM

whatiswrongwithyou Wrote:
> It is your position then that the percussion fee
> is not an FCPS fee? You demanded in the most
> vitriolic terms that FCPS fees need to be maxed
> out. So what is your issue with percussion fees
> being increased? You argued that band parents
> need to be paying MORE.

The percussion fee is an FCPS fee.

All I was doing was pointing out that it almost doubled overnight while the others stayed exactly the same, which is a fact. Now, this fee has been stagnant for years and maybe it was long overdue for a major adjustment, just like the other music class fees. I am just pointing out that the fee went from $52 a year to $90 in the blink of an eye. It's not like some people aren't going to ask questions when they get the bill.

And yes, I think the school fees need to be charged instead of trying to force kids (and parents) to sell pie and pizza and cookie dough, rake leaves instead of doing their homework, sell Cavalier cards because it is a "necessity" or the world will end, forcing them to go door to door and beg for money, etc., when things like this are technically completely optional. Because the fees are supported by state law and school regulations and the other tactics are not, so doing the fees provides for a more stable, equitable financial base. You can't NOT charge the fees and then complain about not having enough money and making people feel bad or having consequences for not selling stuff or begging and in general throwing a temper tantrum. It's your own fault that you don't have enough money if you don't charge the school fees. Driver's Ed. isn't free. They don't leave that up to a Booster club or fundraising efforts to fund. I am big on instilling a work ethic in children but if parents want their minor children to pay their own way through school then they need to make their own arrangements for that. And they do. Bills for school services for minors are the responsibility of the parent, and it is their individual decision as to how to pay them, NOT a school administrator or Booster club's decision. Obviously you need some fundraising for the "extras". Great Lakes scrip, grocery stores, Amazon, Menuocity, restaurants offering dining out for dollars, ink cartridge rebaters, etc. are all perfectly willing to help you out. But, nobody can mandate that parents do these programs in public school.

And again, the problem with Boosters determining class fees is that they don't work for the school system and so don't have the right to do that and never did. So, their "bills" for these services are and were unenforceable. You can't send out bills for things that you don't have the right to collect on. Just like any other business can't bill you for things they don't have the right to demand money for. The only thing that can be enforced is a fee determined by the school system. And the regulations call for that money to run through internal accounts. If the PTA sent you a bill for $100 or told you that you had to sell a certain amount of wrapping paper because your child enrolled in a public school the school system would be all over it and turn that off. No difference with the music Boosters.

It's also your own fault if you don't spend the money given to you very carefully. $650 plane tickets to Orlando, $61 dinners for the School Board on travel, fancy upgraded hotel rooms, double-dipping on per diem or paying per diem for days not traveled, renting local real estate for meetings when you have first rights at using the 200 buildings at your disposal, and $100 dinners at Morton's for admins don't support that philosophy and generate no sympathy whatsoever. Particularly when you cut services to the children to support this kind of behavior.

Some people made some really bad decisions over the years. Oh well.

Posted by: Buddy Rich ()
Date: May 29, 2015 09:33AM

> All I was doing was pointing out that it almost doubled overnight while the others stayed exactly the same, which is a fact.

Maybe the fee increased because the instruments in question have to be played by hitting them, making them subject to a breakage rate that is not a problem with tubas.

Maybe the fee increase reflects an increase in the use of these instruments, particularly in marching bands.

Maybe schools are able to use the same marching baritones for two decades or more, obviating a need for increased fees for those instruments.

Date: May 29, 2015 10:17AM

Buddy Rich Wrote:
> > All I was doing was pointing out that it almost
> doubled overnight while the others stayed exactly
> the same, which is a fact.
>
> Maybe the fee increased because the instruments in
> question have to be played by hitting them, making
> them subject to a breakage rate that is not a
> problem with tubas.
>
> Maybe the fee increase reflects an increase in the
> use of these instruments, particularly in marching
> bands.
>
> Maybe schools are able to use the same marching
> baritones for two decades or more, obviating a
> need for increased fees for those instruments.

Oh, tubas (particularly Sousas) have their problems, too. I have first-hand experience with Sousas. Particularly when people like to throw nasty things down the big bells as a prank.

I am just pointing out that many kids play other instruments in marching band than they do in concert band. They are not singled out for a third fee in the Fee Notice. Now, if any of these students, including percussionists, are playing different instruments to march in order to help out, like say the drumline was full, so they agreed to switch to mellophone, that mellophone rental is waived. Or, there are lots of flutes/piccolos, and they really need more sax, so somebody agrees to switch for Marching Band. Maybe if they wanted to increase the percussion fee they should have just made it the same as the other instruments. $46 a semester, total of $92 for the year, and that includes Marching Band. I don't know the answer to this.

Note that the individual schools retain 100% of the percussion fees, while they only retain 15% of the other instrument rental fees. They are two very different things.

Posted by: Clair Omar Musser ()
Date: May 29, 2015 10:26AM

"$650 plane tickets to Orlando, $61 dinners for the School Board on travel, fancy upgraded hotel rooms, double-dipping on per diem or paying per diem for days not traveled, renting local real estate for meetings when you have first rights at using the 200 buildings at your disposal, and $100 dinners at Morton's for admins don't support that philosophy and generate no sympathy whatsoever. Particularly when you cut services to the children to support this kind of behavior.

Some people made some really bad decisions over the years. Oh well."

Those expenses did not involve band directors. Those expenses may very well be the reason booster programs need to exist. You're tarring all FCPS employees with the same brush, which is a fallacy in logic (association).

Date: May 29, 2015 10:34AM

Clair Omar Musser Wrote:
> "$650 plane tickets to Orlando, $61 dinners for
> the School Board on travel, fancy upgraded hotel
> rooms, double-dipping on per diem or paying per
> diem for days not traveled, renting local real
> estate for meetings when you have first rights at
> using the 200 buildings at your disposal, and $100
> dinners at Morton's for admins don't support that
> philosophy and generate no sympathy whatsoever.
> Particularly when you cut services to the children
> to support this kind of behavior.
>
> Some people made some really bad decisions over
> the years. Oh well."
>
>
> Those expenses did not involve band directors.
> Those expenses may very well be the reason booster
> programs need to exist. You're tarring all FCPS
> employees with the same brush, which is a fallacy
> in logic (association).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Booster programs have their problems, too. Like paying people who don't show up to work. Like NOT paying people who show up to work. Paying for hotel upgrades, etc. for band directors who travel for "professional development" on Booster funds. Etc. Etc. Etc. At least you can see what is going on when the money is run through the school system. Some Boosters like to run a Secret Society. And behind the scenes and off the record, the teacher is actually controlling the Booster money. Don't tell me this isn't going on. It is. I know.

Posted by: Leigh Howard Stevens ()
Date: May 29, 2015 10:35AM

>Note that the individual schools retain 100% of the percussion fees, while they only retain 15% of the other instrument rental fees. They are two very different things.

They retain 100% of the fee because they use those fees directly to replace broken equipment played by the students who are paying the fee. (This, by the way, is as close to the ideal of subsidiarity as is possible in a school district.)

The 15% rental fee for the other instruments goes toward consumables for the continued use of those instruments (e.g., valve oil, cork grease, ligatures) and not toward replacement of those instruments.

Posted by: Duhh ()
Date: May 29, 2015 10:50AM

And behind the scenes and off the record, the teacher is actually controlling the Booster money.

Who else is competent to control the money? Parents raise it, directors spend it. If the band needs a sarrusophone, who knows whether to buy one in Eb or Bb? Do you? Can you cogently explain the merits of purchasing a set of shepherd's-crook cornets for your band or the perils of non-compensating euphoniums? That's why there are band directors.

I don't know what kind of experiences you had as a parent (and they may have been over-the-top awful), but outliers exist in all professions. You seem to be going from the specific to the general in your arguments (fallacy of composition - illicit transfer, by the way) to establish malfeasance on the part of all directors.

Date: May 29, 2015 10:57AM

Leigh Howard Stevens Wrote:
> >Note that the individual schools retain 100% of
> the percussion fees, while they only retain 15% of
> the other instrument rental fees. They are two
> very different things.
>
> They retain 100% of the fee because they use those
> fees directly to replace broken equipment played
> by the students who are paying the fee. (This, by
> the way, is as close to the ideal of subsidiarity
> as is possible in a school district.)
>
> The 15% rental fee for the other instruments goes
> toward consumables for the continued use of those
> instruments (e.g., valve oil, cork grease,
> ligatures) and not toward replacement of those
> instruments.

I know all this. The other 85% goes to _______________ and for ___________________? I am just pointing out that the fee structuring is different on the two fees.

Posted by: One trick pony ()
Date: May 29, 2015 08:25PM

Leave her be. She's an unhappy person leading an unhappy life. Now that FCPS has made program changes that addressed all her issues she can only carp about past policies. I will presume the FHS booster club signed the moa and the treasurer is approved to see student ids. All checks (except for t-shirts) are payable to FCPS. And like it or not band is a voluntary course so they're ok on requiring participation in pre season camps. Woe is her.

Date: May 30, 2015 02:38PM

"I will presume the FHS booster club signed the moa and the treasurer is approved to see student ids."

Volunteers are not supposed to be dealing with student ID numbers, even with the MOA. That is a protected number.
Attachments:
studentidprivacy.pdf

Date: June 01, 2015 12:19PM

McLean is next.

TAG Day is optional. OPTIONAL. O-P-T-I-O-N-A-L.

****Pre-season is optional, both school-based and particularly the away camps. If you make these things required, they have to be funded out of appropriated funds. And this doesn't mean well then you are going to have to settle for a lower band. Optional is optional. That is straight from the VERY top.

McLean, I pointed out to you last year that you altered the FCPS template, AND YOU DID IT AGAIN. CUT IT OUT. Anything left over from funds collected for an FCPS sponsored optional activity has to be returned to the parents. It is only the leftovers from the consumable fees that can be scooped into a uniform Reserve fund. You have a lot of nerve. Ideally there should be a separate uniform rental fee.

What exactly is the $340 Marching Band Camp Activity Fee? School-based pre-season is supposed to be priced out separately from Away pre-season camps. Both are separate from the expenses incurred during September and October, which look to be the $160 course materials fee.

The Marching Band competition trips are supposed to be covered with the appropriated funds. I don't know how you handle the overnight trip. I think it has to be optional or that also has to be covered with appropriated funds, which of course you will not have enough of. You will have to check with Gatehouse on this.

Jazz Band is NOT an FCPS sponsored optional activity. It is a one credit CLASS and as per the Fee Notice the limit is $50. It is right in the course catalog. I pointed this out last year. You charged $75 for it last year. YOU ARE CHARGING $100 FOR IT THIS YEAR. WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND???????????????

You are on the radar right now in a major way. DON'T WRITE ANY MORE CHECKS OR SIGN THAT PARTICIPATION CONTRACT UNTIL THIS GETS STRAIGHTENED OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The percussion fee has gone up to $30 per semester plus Marching. Total of $90.
Attachments:
McLean 2015 Marching Band Commitment Packet _Redacted.pdf

Posted by: fromthearchives ()
Date: June 01, 2015 04:30PM

If you don't like The Plan, put your kid in private school
illegal bills
very unsavory stuff
Shame on you
You should know better. Shame on you.
Staff can go to jail.
You people all need to hush up
gouging parents
QUIT WHINING AND COMPLAINING
cut that crap out.
It hurts everybody when you drive up to school in your Lexus
Get over it.
put your kid in Flint Hill or Madeira.
quit being difficult.
you just have to adjust your expectations and goals down a little.
quit wasting the time of the school officials with arrogant testing of the system.
there is probably more of this going on under the surface and off the record and behind the scenes.
we are all in the implementation phase of things.
raise Holy Hell. Immediately.
slush fund.
I think a lot of people just went totally overboard and got out of line
I think a lot of them don't care about doing what is right
They just want to be difficult and obnoxious
When people act like that it is usually for a reason.
I think there are some groups who are trying to skirt around the new system.
Whatever. It's just a Booster group. You don't run the world.
I am immune to the likes of you.
your arguments are futile.
loved the part about contacting the sheriff if a party ignores a court order
except for the Slush Fund problem
people who are doing shady stuff
Where the heck are you going to send the sheriff
It was impossible to press charges
we still needed critical records
I have never seen so many confused people in my life.
what went on was not appropriate.
there is still no excuse for what happened.
This whole thing smells fishy. Where there is smoke, there is usually fire. Just sayin'....
I am seeing a lot of efforts to circumvent the new processes
nasty stuff that went on.
Boosters also will no longer have to resort to ugly tactics
There were very obvious problems.
people are violating state and Federal laws
There were a lot of staff who were totally asleep.
This is utterly ridiculous.
should not be putting stuff out that is against the state and federal laws, violating school regulations
teachers just missed a lot of stuff.
You can't assume that a certain program is fine.
staff were not paying attention, or were choosing to ignore what they were told to do.
That is really, really, really bad.
it was totally off the wall.
They win the arrogance award.
Dr. Moniuszko, you're the best
very sad that the very people who are supposed to care about the children and families and doing their jobs properly
I didn't do anything.
You can pick from the Booster group who refused to release public records and publicly treated me like trash (and one of them verbally abused my child and made them cry), played games with trip money, the teacher(s) and administrator(s) who allowed this to happen, the school personnel who didn't know a public record from a hole in the wall, the Booster attorney who was encouraging their atrocious, abusive behavior and was totally obnoxious and threatening me inappropriately.
I am not tolerating any attitude from anybody.
DO NOT GIVE THEM ONE DOLLAR. Because they are probably acting like this for some not very good reasons.
And people who are being denied public records and records on financial transactions that they made with a Booster group have every right in the world to get very, very ugly.
Quit whining.
Justify what this was for. NOW.
WHY? That takes a lot of nerve.
These are problems for the school administrators to work out. I am staying out of it.
it was clear that things were not being monitored consistently.
I have demanded answers, for all of you
I am standing very, very firm.
Just shut them down and run all the money through the school system. THAT is what you do to people you are really ticked at.
We chuckled about a few other things regarding this.
why has this all been going on, and unless somebody reviews these, how is it going to get caught and corrected?
Why weren't a lot of the teachers doing this? Some of them were at the parent meetings where very inappropriate actions were being discussed.
violated school regulations, state and/or Federal laws,
inappropriate bill
I spent about 7 hours with senior level administrators
You never know when this is going to happen again. It happens all over the country. Every day.
Some of the school personnel also yelled at me and made fun of me in front of large groups
something is still seriously missing.
Why are people ignoring what they were told to do and NOT do?
It is NOT about anybody's ego. GET OVER IT.
so figure it out. NOW. Because you are being held accountable. All of you.
there are/were a LOT of people who aren't paying for their kids.
Who isn't paying for their kids? WHY?
You also sent a bill for it. You don't have the authority to do that.
How would you feel if you had two or three kids in this program, could barely afford it as it was, and then you were sent an inappropriate bill
You might actually be able to bill the parents for more
PAY UP. Keep your kid home. Plan. Do something. But, QUIT BEING FREELOADERS!!!
You are greedy, selfish, unrealistic moochers who think you are entitled to have a free ride, is what you are.
I do find it very interesting how people who are sending families bills for $230+ when they don't even have the right to do that don't seem to be a problem.
And there are quite a few programs that are not charging anywhere near what they could charge,
Somebody please explain to me how soaking families and children for money that you are not legally entitled to is NOT harmful,
You just can't send out a bill to parents for it.
Booster clubs don't have the right to send out bills
If you don't like it, put your kid in private school or go work in a private school.
you are screwing around with all this
So quit playing games. You are wasting their valuable time. I am not.
they all are being taken advantage of.
renounce your citizenship and get out of this country. Sooner rather than later.
violates school regulations, state, or Federal laws, it has to be squared away. And there was a LOT of that.
quit with the lame excuses when you are caught in the act doing this stuff.
Put your kid in private school.
You rebellious types can probably keep a good bit of this
not correct things when you violate public school regulations, etc.
This is not a scandal, but something that just needed to be fixed.
violations of school policy.
This was set up with Dr. Moniuszko when I told him I had seen enough messing around
Ask RM. We have discussed this extensively.
FCPS is not in charge of Booster organizations, and Booster organizations can't be in charge of FCPS activities. This has gotten very mixed up over the years.
Ask RM.
never really should have been managed the way they were for so many years. It did not follow written policy and state laws, or common sense
I could care less. Really.
QUIT BLAMING IT ON ME!!!!!!!!!!!! If you people started doing these, whatever happens is your own fault. Grow up!
The following groups will be identified in a separate thread if their issues don't get straightened out by Jan 15th
give the staff anything they need to fix this. RIGHT NOW.
This is a bare minimum list. I might add more.
You explain yourselves to the school system and your parents if you haven't already. Immediately. Quit playing games, folks!
when you are dealing with groups of parents scattered all over the county, that is a huge problem,
You people were eating it for a lot of scofflaws. As well as paying for the FRM kids.
The voice of reason.
you have until January 15th. Start coughing up some records. Now.
This is no time to be nice.
There should be no excuses this year. It is actually getting worse. They are getting more creative at dodging the requirements. I saw a lot of that. Hence, the deadline.
You never know when some of the accounting people can BE the problem. Watch out. Some of them like Dirty Little Secrets.
Time's up all around. Wrap it up. January 15th.
renounce your citizenship and move out of the country and make more room for us in the Land of the Free.
January 15th! These bills and issues are public records.
The true losers are the people who selfishly screwed over thousands of parents and children with their games over the years.
This is far more interesting and rewarding than watching Reality TV.
If people are going to continue to put out this trash, I will continue to look.
I think you people are getting hysterical for no reason.
January 15th!!!
Explain yourselves. Right here. I challenge you.
misuse of funds is not the point.
And if I don't hear how this was explained by January 15th, the names will be posted
There is nothing inflammatory about that, nothing insulting
As far as outing, the four groups in question have been handling public funds.
Why do you people want to put the licenses of the teachers and administrators in jeopardy?
Have fun with this one!!!!!!!!!!
all that matters is whether the existing laws and regulations were followed
Please treat these school officials with respect
Working out the details on just the Final Four is a ton of work.
The other areas are on their own. I could care less.
Get to work fixing the numbers and details. January 15th.
I don't mean to blackmail people, but most of the problems were reported in Sept/Oct.
I am merely setting a deadline.
I am not accusing anybody of anything.
get this worked out by January 15th. This is very basic stuff.
staff can't walk away from their responsibilities in this type of situation. So, team up and straighten this out.
You can't go sending out bills for $50,000-$70,000 to parents unless they are completely justified. And they aren't even close. And you are NOT waiting until next year to fix this. You are going to fix it THIS year.
January 15th.
I am giving these groups and schools the chance to work this out without being publicly fingered. The claims could be very defensible.
However, more analysis needs to be done
Right now. I am not accusing anybody of anything. I am merely pointing out that there might be problems.
right to go to Small Claims court,
January 15th. I am sure some of this will be fine. Some, maybe not.

Date: June 02, 2015 07:20AM

All right, Madison.

The word from the Hallowed Halls of Gatehouse is that there are not to be any "suggested/requested donations" that specify a particular amount.

So, your SIX, yes SIX requests for $500 PER CHILD need to go. I think your food budget is totally out of line and could be restructured to appropriately transfer costs to the families. I have no idea what you are doing. What is this? A catered meal for every event? What happened to kids packing their lunches or dinner and taking along a few dollars for the snack bar or the food court at a rest stop? That would lop $100++ off of it right there. Anybody can throw together a sandwich.

Remember, there is no such thing as a "travel supplement" "assessment" or any other type of payment to a Booster club. Any travel costs need to be arranged through the school system because these are all school-sponsored trips.

Remember, all fundraisers are optional. That includes Tag Day, Turkey Trot, etc.

Do NOT write any Big Checks to this Booster club unless you want to.
Attachments:
Madison-Band SY15-16_Redacted.pdf

Date: June 02, 2015 02:48PM

McLean-
Here-look at this. This is the Course Listing from this current school year. It is probably the same next year. Page 29 says Jazz Ensemble is a one credit course and has to follow Notice 5922 for fees, which are a maximum of $50. Your $75 for this current year and your upcoming $100 for 2015-16 don't follow the school regulations. If you have an explanation for this speak up.
Attachments:
McLeanJazzBand2015-16.pdf

Date: June 16, 2015 03:35PM

All parent groups (and staff)-

When you register with EScrip, Shop with Scrip, CFC, etc., you need to use your own name. Don't call yourself the ABC Band/Chorus/Orchestra or do what one PTA did and register their name as the high school. If you are doing this, you need to stop. Immediately. Straighten out your accounts. Gatehouse is following up on some of these already. Supposedly. You put your OWN name on your accounts. You are NOT the ABC Band/Chorus/Orchestra and never were.

The same goes for writing checks. People have to write the name of YOUR organization on any checks that go into a parent group account. Don't have them write the ABC High School Band/Chorus/Orchestra on them and have you put them into a parent group bank account. That is the name of a school program. You are the parents and a separate corporation. You should have a separate unique name. USE IT. Use the names you give the IRS and the State Corporation Commission. And make sure you haven't registered with the IRS or State Corporation Commission as the ABC High School Band/Chorus/Orchestra because that does not describe who you are. The ABC High School Band/Chorus/Orchestra is a group of students and their teachers. They are the school system. You are the parents. You are separate. And make sure your bank account name matches what you have registered with the IRS and the State Corporation Commission.

If I find these types of things you will be identified and you are going to be pulling some bank statements to prove where money is going. This was already done several times last year. We have at least one significant fiasco and maybe more that we are still trying to straighten out and it is getting uglier by the day with some potential very serious legal implications looming on the horizon. Cut it out. NOW.

As things are being communicated, also remember that the references to "The Band/Chorus/Orchestra" refer to the school program, NOT the parent group. As in, if people are purchasing things from Fairfax Band, they are technically purchasing them from the school, NOT the parents. But, I see that the items are being purchased from the parents. I hate to burst your bubble, but parents, you are NOT "The Fairfax Band". On your website you have references to raising money for both the Fairfax Band and Fairfax Band Boosters. If people want to make a donation to the Fairfax HS Bands, they need to write a check to the school. If they want to make a donation to the Fairfax HS Band Boosters, they make a check out to the Boosters. Two entirely different things. If you are "raising money for the Orchestra" you are technically raising money for the school, NOT the Booster organization, and the school is where the money should be going. There have been plenty of situations where people said they were raising money for something or somebody and it never got there.

If you are soliciting and communicating you have a responsibility to accurately present who you are. The school system owns the music programs. The parent groups do NOT. They do not run them. They do not control them. Their role is to assist the staff.

Don't believe me? Ask the Comptroller what they want you to do. Using somebody else's name to solicit, having people put somebody else's name on checks, and then keeping the money for yourself is very serious business.

You need to follow directions, particularly if you sign the MOA. All fees and money associated with school-sponsored activities and students and staff are subject to public records laws (no matter where they are), are the responsibility of the school system, and should go directly into a SCHOOL account, NOT a Booster account. Hopefully. Will they ever get this straightened out? There are some major legal issues going on right this very minute due to some people not doing things properly. You don't alter the template to make it what you want (McLean, that means you-this is year #2 for you-CUT IT OUT). Excess fees for optional school-sponsored activities need to be returned to the families. (Fairfax Band, are you reading this?) Excess consumables fees can be put into a uniform reserve fund held with the school. Whether or not you sign the MOA don't come up with creative terms and sneaky tactics (Marshall Band, are you paying attention? Your "voluntary commitment payment" took Grand Prize last year) to try and squeeze money out of families, take advantage of people who don't know any better, do things yourself, and circumvent school policies and school insurance coverage. If the money involves students and their school activities it is the responsibility of the school system and fair game for FOIA, no matter what you call it. You go coercing money out of students to pay for classes and school activities their kid signed up for and put it into a Booster bank account you are in very, very dangerous territory. Chantilly, quit scooping money from student performances into a Booster bank account. That goes into a school account.

It's going to be a fun summer.............Cranking out those registration packets?

Posted by: +_(^%%&^$# ()
Date: June 16, 2015 05:07PM

fromthearchives Wrote:
> If you don't like The Plan, put your kid in
> private school
> illegal bills
> very unsavory stuff
> Shame on you
> You should know better. Shame on you.
> Staff can go to jail.
> You people all need to hush up
> gouging parents
> QUIT WHINING AND COMPLAINING
> cut that crap out.
> It hurts everybody when you drive up to school in
> your Lexus
> Get over it.
> put your kid in Flint Hill or Madeira.
> quit being difficult.
> you just have to adjust your expectations and
> goals down a little.
> quit wasting the time of the school officials
> with arrogant testing of the system.
> there is probably more of this going on under the
> surface and off the record and behind the scenes.
> we are all in the implementation phase of things.
> raise Holy Hell. Immediately.
> slush fund.
> I think a lot of people just went totally
> overboard and got out of line
> I think a lot of them don't care about doing what
> is right
> They just want to be difficult and obnoxious
> When people act like that it is usually for a
> reason.
> I think there are some groups who are trying to
> skirt around the new system.
> Whatever. It's just a Booster group. You don't
> run the world.
> I am immune to the likes of you.
> your arguments are futile.
> loved the part about contacting the sheriff if a
> party ignores a court order
> except for the Slush Fund problem
> people who are doing shady stuff
> Where the heck are you going to send the sheriff
> It was impossible to press charges
> we still needed critical records
> I have never seen so many confused people in my
> life.
> what went on was not appropriate.
> there is still no excuse for what happened.
> This whole thing smells fishy. Where there is
> smoke, there is usually fire. Just sayin'....
> I am seeing a lot of efforts to circumvent the
> new processes
> nasty stuff that went on.
> Boosters also will no longer have to resort to
> ugly tactics
> There were very obvious problems.
> people are violating state and Federal laws
> There were a lot of staff who were totally
> asleep.
> This is utterly ridiculous.
> should not be putting stuff out that is against
> the state and federal laws, violating school
> regulations
> teachers just missed a lot of stuff.
> You can't assume that a certain program is fine.
> staff were not paying attention, or were choosing
> to ignore what they were told to do.
> That is really, really, really bad.
> it was totally off the wall.
> They win the arrogance award.
> Dr. Moniuszko, you're the best
> very sad that the very people who are supposed to
> care about the children and families and doing
> their jobs properly
> I didn't do anything.
> You can pick from the Booster group who refused
> to release public records and publicly treated me
> like trash (and one of them verbally abused my
> child and made them cry), played games with trip
> money, the teacher(s) and administrator(s) who
> allowed this to happen, the school personnel who
> didn't know a public record from a hole in the
> wall, the Booster attorney who was encouraging
> their atrocious, abusive behavior and was totally
> obnoxious and threatening me inappropriately.
> I am not tolerating any attitude from anybody.
> DO NOT GIVE THEM ONE DOLLAR. Because they are
> probably acting like this for some not very good
> reasons.
> And people who are being denied public records
> and records on financial transactions that they
> made with a Booster group have every right in the
> world to get very, very ugly.
> Quit whining.
> Justify what this was for. NOW.
> WHY? That takes a lot of nerve.
> These are problems for the school administrators
> to work out. I am staying out of it.
> it was clear that things were not being monitored
> consistently.
> I have demanded answers, for all of you
> I am standing very, very firm.
> Just shut them down and run all the money through
> the school system. THAT is what you do to people
> you are really ticked at.
> We chuckled about a few other things regarding
> this.
> why has this all been going on, and unless
> somebody reviews these, how is it going to get
> caught and corrected?
> Why weren't a lot of the teachers doing this?
> Some of them were at the parent meetings where
> very inappropriate actions were being discussed.
> violated school regulations, state and/or Federal
> laws,
> inappropriate bill
> I spent about 7 hours with senior level
> administrators
> You never know when this is going to happen
> again. It happens all over the country. Every
> day.
> Some of the school personnel also yelled at me
> and made fun of me in front of large groups
> something is still seriously missing.
> Why are people ignoring what they were told to do
> and NOT do?
> It is NOT about anybody's ego. GET OVER IT.
> so figure it out. NOW. Because you are being held
> accountable. All of you.
> there are/were a LOT of people who aren't paying
> for their kids.
> Who isn't paying for their kids? WHY?
> You also sent a bill for it. You don't have the
> authority to do that.
> How would you feel if you had two or three kids
> in this program, could barely afford it as it was,
> and then you were sent an inappropriate bill
> You might actually be able to bill the parents
> for more

> PAY UP. Keep your kid home. Plan. Do
> something. But, QUIT BEING FREELOADERS!!!

> You are greedy, selfish, unrealistic moochers
> who think you are entitled to have a free ride, is
> what you are.

> I do find it very interesting how people who are
> sending families bills for $230+ when they don't
> even have the right to do that don't seem to be a
> problem.
> And there are quite a few programs that are not
> charging anywhere near what they could charge,
> Somebody please explain to me how soaking
> families and children for money that you are not
> legally entitled to is NOT harmful,
> You just can't send out a bill to parents for
> it.
> Booster clubs don't have the right to send out
> bills
> If you don't like it, put your kid in private
> school or go work in a private school.
> you are screwing around with all this
> So quit playing games. You are wasting their
> valuable time. I am not.
> they all are being taken advantage of.
> renounce your citizenship and get out of this
> country. Sooner rather than later.
> violates school regulations, state, or Federal
> laws, it has to be squared away. And there was a
> LOT of that.
> quit with the lame excuses when you are caught in
> the act doing this stuff.
> Put your kid in private school.
> You rebellious types can probably keep a good bit
> of this
> not correct things when you violate public school
> regulations, etc.
> This is not a scandal, but something that just
> needed to be fixed.
> violations of school policy.
> This was set up with Dr. Moniuszko when I told
> him I had seen enough messing around
> Ask RM. We have discussed this extensively.
> FCPS is not in charge of Booster organizations,
> and Booster organizations can't be in charge of
> FCPS activities. This has gotten very mixed up
> over the years.
> Ask RM.
> never really should have been managed the way
> they were for so many years. It did not follow
> written policy and state laws, or common sense
> I could care less. Really.
> QUIT BLAMING IT ON ME!!!!!!!!!!!! If you people
> started doing these, whatever happens is your own
> fault. Grow up!
> The following groups will be identified in a
> separate thread if their issues don't get
> straightened out by Jan 15th
> give the staff anything they need to fix this.
> RIGHT NOW.
> This is a bare minimum list. I might add more.
> You explain yourselves to the school system and
> your parents if you haven't already. Immediately.
> Quit playing games, folks!
> when you are dealing with groups of parents
> scattered all over the county, that is a huge
> problem,
> You people were eating it for a lot of scofflaws.
> As well as paying for the FRM kids.
> The voice of reason.
> you have until January 15th. Start coughing up
> some records. Now.
> This is no time to be nice.
> There should be no excuses this year. It is
> actually getting worse. They are getting more
> creative at dodging the requirements. I saw a lot
> of that. Hence, the deadline.
> You never know when some of the accounting people
> can BE the problem. Watch out. Some of them like
> Dirty Little Secrets.
> Time's up all around. Wrap it up. January 15th.
> renounce your citizenship and move out of the
> country and make more room for us in the Land of
> the Free.
> January 15th! These bills and issues are public
> records.
> The true losers are the people who selfishly
> screwed over thousands of parents and children
> with their games over the years.
> This is far more interesting and rewarding than
> watching Reality TV.
> If people are going to continue to put out this
> trash, I will continue to look.
> I think you people are getting hysterical for no
> reason.
> January 15th!!!
> Explain yourselves. Right here. I challenge you.
> misuse of funds is not the point.
> And if I don't hear how this was explained by
> January 15th, the names will be posted
> There is nothing inflammatory about that, nothing
> insulting
> As far as outing, the four groups in question
> have been handling public funds.
> Why do you people want to put the licenses of the
> teachers and administrators in jeopardy?
> Have fun with this one!!!!!!!!!!
> all that matters is whether the existing laws and
> regulations were followed
> Please treat these school officials with respect
> Working out the details on just the Final Four is
> a ton of work.
> The other areas are on their own. I could care
> less.
> Get to work fixing the numbers and details.
> January 15th.
> I don't mean to blackmail people, but most of the
> problems were reported in Sept/Oct.
> I am merely setting a deadline.
> I am not accusing anybody of anything.
> get this worked out by January 15th. This is very
> basic stuff.
> staff can't walk away from their responsibilities
> in this type of situation. So, team up and
> straighten this out.
> You can't go sending out bills for
> $50,000-$70,000 to parents unless they are
> completely justified. And they aren't even close.
> And you are NOT waiting until next year to fix
> this. You are going to fix it THIS year.
> January 15th.
> I am giving these groups and schools the chance
> to work this out without being publicly fingered.
> The claims could be very defensible.
> However, more analysis needs to be done
> Right now. I am not accusing anybody of anything.
> I am merely pointing out that there might be
> problems.
> right to go to Small Claims court,
> January 15th. I am sure some of this will be
> fine. Some, maybe not.

GET A F'N JOB AND SHUT UP!!!!!!

Date: June 17, 2015 10:16AM

Dear Woodson Band-

Glad to see you didn't try to pull the optional/mandatory "pre-season supplemental" thing again this year. ***Where you told everybody the $120 payment to the Boosters was technically optional, but was a necessity, so you put it in the contract they had to sign and commit to paying it in order to be in Marching Band, and told them to go sell Cavalier cards for the Boosters to get some of their money back, and included a charge for $10 for a DVD as a fundraiser for the Boosters on top of it. Ah, the memories. You had a LOT of nerve. A copy of that was included in the attachment in case anybody doesn't remember. That won an Honorable Mention last year. Probably runner-up to Grand Prize winner Marshall.

Parents, don't let them to that to you behind the scenes this year. Watch out. You don't have to pay that.

I was told pre-season was technically optional. Tag Day is also optional. Are you sure the $200 Marching Fee can be non-refundable?
Attachments:
Woodson Band June 2015.pdf

Posted by: Hey McLean---- ()
Date: June 22, 2015 12:15PM

In case you are still clueless, here is another reminder for McLean. This is YEAR TWO for you. Anything left over from the optional activity fees has to be returned to parents. Who do you think you are altering the template? What is it that you don't understand? Ask somebody.

Summer pre-season is supposed to be separate from the Fall, because it is technically optional. I think you are getting a lot of things mixed up with the fees.

Jazz Band is a CLASS, NOT an FCPS activity. Consequently, it has a $50 limit. You are at twice that. You can't do that.
Attachments:
McLeanBand2015-16.pdf

Posted by: the troll ()
Date: June 22, 2015 09:40PM

Barb, don't make me come back and go Moby Dick on you again.

Do you know whether McLean offers jazz band as a for-credit class or if it is just an after-school club? Different parameters for those.

Posted by: HjUhv ()
Date: June 23, 2015 06:28AM

the troll Wrote:

>
> Do you know whether McLean offers jazz band as a
> for-credit class or if it is just an after-school
> club? Different parameters for those.

Read. It's in the McLean course catalog as a one credit class.

Posted by: trl ()
Date: June 23, 2015 08:14AM

>
> Read. It's in the McLean course catalog as a one
> credit class.

I read it. Looks like the band program runs it as an activity, not a class for which credit is received. You're right that the McLean course catalog lists it as a course, but that is just someone in admin cut and pasting from the FCPS catalog. Wonder if it shows up on the transcripts of the kids in the band.

Posted by: xXt4V ()
Date: June 23, 2015 09:15AM

If the jazz ensemble was part of the teachers load for staffing, it will be run as a credit class. If it was not part of the staffing, the teacher could elect to still run it anyway as a club/activity - in which case it would not be for credit. Happens frequently.

Date: June 23, 2015 09:20AM

trl Wrote:
> >
> > Read. It's in the McLean course catalog as a
> one
> > credit class.
>
>
> I read it. Looks like the band program runs it as
> an activity, not a class for which credit is
> received. You're right that the McLean course
> catalog lists it as a course, but that is just
> someone in admin cut and pasting from the FCPS
> catalog. Wonder if it shows up on the transcripts
> of the kids in the band.

It varies from school to school whether Jazz Band is listed as a class or not. McLean's is listed as a class. That caps the fee at $50. If the syllabus, registration information, or course catalog are wrong, they need to be corrected.

Even if it is an activity sponsored by the school, it has to be offered at cost. It can't be a Booster sponsored activity because it involves staff, students, and school equipment.

They need to get it together. Enough is enough. Altering the FCPS template (just who did that? School staff? A Booster?) is pure arrogance. But, looking at the Booster club who tried to control the whole show in the FAQ's, and publicly declared numerous times in some very long diatribes that the state laws and school regulations did not apply to these situations and they knew better, no big surprise on anything. There were some valid points in the FAQ's, but "What do you mean FCPS bills have to be presented on FCPS documents? We want to argue about that." "You can only change your policies annually as per OUR decision." "We only want to have to provide a RESPONSE to FOIA requests in 5 days. [We will give you YOUR records when we are darn good and ready.]" ?!?!?!?!?!?

Come on. Who do you think you are?

It's going to be one hot summer.
Attachments:
faq.pdf

Posted by: Time for a Surcharge ()
Date: June 23, 2015 10:28AM

$100 million in the hole. If we believe Karen Garza, that's the deficit FCPS is looking at.

The taxpayers cannot be expected to come up with this money. FCPS is already widely recognized as wasteful and inefficient.

FCPS needs to cut spending. If FCPS is going to continue to allow "booster supported" activities such as football and band, the cost of the overhead for these programs must be recovered.

The best way to do this is a surcharge. 10-15% of booster funds go into a general school fund. It is bad enough that taxpayers end up paying for nonsense like Flip Flippen, but it is even worse that they underwrite the costs of football.

Posted by: saldkjahslkjg ()
Date: June 23, 2015 10:40AM

Time for a Surcharge Wrote:
> $100 million in the hole. If we believe Karen
> Garza, that's the deficit FCPS is looking at.
>
> The taxpayers cannot be expected to come up with
> this money. FCPS is already widely recognized as
> wasteful and inefficient.
>
> FCPS needs to cut spending. If FCPS is going to
> continue to allow "booster supported" activities
> such as football and band, the cost of the
> overhead for these programs must be recovered.
>
> The best way to do this is a surcharge. 10-15% of
> booster funds go into a general school fund. It is
> bad enough that taxpayers end up paying for
> nonsense like Flip Flippen, but it is even worse
> that they underwrite the costs of football.

Most of the money raised by Booster clubs already goes to the school programs. It is when they go off the deep end and send money to a "university of your choosing" and they start passing out iPads and gift cards and prize trips to Disney World to kids who fundraise for them that it does not go to the school program.

Band is a class. It is funded by appropriated funds (just like Math, etc.) as well as user fees paid by the participants, and supplemented with money from Booster clubs.

Can't help you with football, etc. Football is not a class.

Posted by: whatiswrongwithyou2 ()
Date: June 23, 2015 03:52PM

***** Wrote:
> whatiswrongwithyou Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What is your freaking problem? You whined,
> > bitched and moaned DOZENS of times about how
> the
> > bands are not charging the full amounts allowed
> by
> > FCPS. You berated and humiliated boosters for
> not
> > charging the full allowable amount. You made
> fun
> > of them for not charging the full amount
> allowed
> > by FCPS. Implied numerous times band parents
> are
> > getting away with something and should be
> paying
> > MORE.
> >
> > Now when they do you act like there is
> something
> > wrong with that.
>
>
> Nothing wrong with me.
>
> 1. Boosters aren't supposed to be charging
> anything. That was a huge problem. That CAN'T
> charge anything.
>
> 2. Nothing wrong with charging the full FCPS fees.
> I was the one who suggested that because the
> parents and maybe the teachers were turning around
> and bugging people to sell stuff instead, or
> taking financial indiscretions with parents in
> order to achieve the desired goals.
>
> You are obviously confused.
>
> Who is going next?

Something is wrong with you. I understand you may not like how the boosters operate, but you have no business turning this into a full time job. As prices for supplies go up, unfortunately the band will have to increase their fees. It is not like the band is making money off of it.

Date: June 23, 2015 04:04PM

whatiswrongwithyou2 Wrote:
> ***** Wrote:
> -----
> > whatiswrongwithyou Wrote:
> >
>
> Something is wrong with you. I understand you may
> not like how the boosters operate, but you have no
> business turning this into a full time job. As
> prices for supplies go up, unfortunately the band
> will have to increase their fees. It is not like
> the band is making money off of it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nothing wrong with me. All I did was point out that the fee almost doubled (up 75%). It isn't like anybody isn't going to notice. I think fees are great. Lots better than selling stuff, plus, the school system can enforce them. They just have to be appropriately charged to comply with school policies and state laws. And the records have to be publicly accessible.

What is wrong with YOU?

Date: June 29, 2015 07:51PM

Look, TJ. You were talked to about your behavior when you were calling Orkney payments "donations" two summers ago and running the money through the Boosters. You ran Orkney through the school last summer. That is the policy.

The $350 checks for Orkney this summer should be written to the SCHOOL, NOT TO THE BOOSTERS. That is school policy. The parents have been ordered to write the checks to the Boosters. That is a major violation of policy. School activity funds (payments for school services) go DIRECTLY into internal accounts.

CUT IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What don't you understand? You are required to follow school policies. You are a private corporation and you have no right to be handling these funds in your bank account. These are county funds. They are supposed to be insured by the county, monitored by the county, and disbursed by county employees.

Parents, if you haven't written that check yet, write it to the school and send it to the front office. Do NOT under any circumstances send it to the Boosters.
Attachments:
TJ Marching2015A.pdf

Date: June 30, 2015 09:56AM

Gatehouse says that pre-season has to be optional, NOT "absolutely required".
Attachments:
LBSS 2015 Marching Band Documents.pdf

Posted by: !!!!! ()
Date: June 30, 2015 10:53AM

Only the principal can obligate school activity funds. Payments for a school trip, a class, any school activity are school activity funds. Even if they go through a Booster club. Only they aren't insured by the school system if they run through a Booster club. Any staff member who contracts to obligate school activity funds can be held personally liable for the money.

All school activity funds are supposed to run through internal accounts and are the responsibility of the principal. They retain the responsibility for anything they delegate to volunteers and staff, but the school isn't going to help out if school activity funds in a Booster bank account disappear, because they can't.

QUIT WRITING CHECKS TO A BOOSTER CLUB FOR TRIPS OR ANY OTHER SCHOOL SPONSORED ACTIVITY! QUIT SIGNING HUGE CONTRACTS THAT YOU CAN BE HELD PERSONALLY LIABLE FOR!

I am just waiting to see a travel agency or hotel contract signed by a Booster club president..............Did anybody do that? I would not be surprised.
Attachments:
r5810contractual authority.pdf
N5011contracting authority.pdf

Posted by: Attention TJ Band parents ()
Date: June 30, 2015 12:36PM

Don't write any $400 activity fee checks to the Boosters, either.

Date: July 04, 2015 07:33AM

Centreville Band-the FCPS sponsored optional activity fee for pre-season is required if the child chooses to participate in the pre-season retreat. It is NOT required for Marching Band. Pre-season is technically optional. It has to be otherwise it has to be funded differently. You can charge a fee if it is optional, but the cost is limited to actual cost FOR THAT PARTICULAR ACTIVITY. Any excess collected is required to be returned to the families, NOT transferred into an account to fund future band uniforms. This is a REGULATORY VIOLATION. That option is reserved for the consumables fee.

Taking money from children (and parents) that you are not entitled to is a really bad idea.
Attachments:
CentrevilleBand2015A.pdf

Date: July 15, 2015 10:37AM

Fun with TJ. Parents were ordered to write Orkney checks ($350) to the Band Boosters. A message had to go out, checks were returned, new checks had to be submitted made out to TJ. What a mess.

Do NOT write checks to Booster clubs for school trips. When do you EVER write a check to a third party to pay a bill unless there is some type of contracted agreement? NEVER. There isn't any contracted agreement for this type of payment arrangement. DON'T FALL FOR IT. That money could disappear and recovering it might be impossible or very difficult at best. It is also difficult to track whether all of your trip payment makes it to the school, or if some of it is siphoned off into a Booster account to pay for non-trip expenses.
Attachments:
TJChecks2015.pdf

Date: July 15, 2015 07:08PM

Things are looking better.

Annandale- Away Instructional Retreat is optional. It is an FCPS-sponsored activity fee that students are expected to pay if they choose to participate in THE AWAY INSTRUCTIONAL RETREAT, NOT if they choose to participate in Marching Band.

Edison- Tag Day is optional. All fundraisers are optional.

Hayfield- Pre-season is technically optional. That goes for everybody. The plus side to having it that way is that an extra, separate fee can be charged for it.

Hayfield- Band Booster membership is optional. Tag Day is optional.

Herndon-The Herndon High School Band Parent Association is not allowed to charge for any aspect of the Herndon Band program. They cannot require a student to pay a fee for anything (opening paragraph). Need to just delete the reference entirely. They sell shoes, etc. That's it. Tag Day is optional.
Attachments:
MB2015A.pdf

Date: July 15, 2015 07:23PM

Lake Braddock- Pre-season is technically optional. Yes, it is. It has to be. Tag Day is also optional.

Marshall-What-no semi-mandatory mythical voluntary commitment payment this year? Couldn't resist it. That won the BS prize last year. Summer camp is technically optional. Tag Day is also optional.

West Potomac- Percussion is $30 per semester and $30 for marching. Your requested Booster donation is $185. The Word from Gatehouse is that there are not supposed to be specific requested donation amounts. This seems pretty steep. What exactly are you doing with this? Are these things that should be included with some of the mandatory fees? A specific uniform replacement fee can be charged and kept in a school Reserve account. They really don't have to be your problem any more if things are structured properly. I believe the fees for competitions are paid out of appropriated funds.

Woodson- pre-season is optional.

West Springfield- Tag Day is optional. Lose the bold type. So is pre-season. Technically.
Attachments:
MB2015B.pdf

Date: July 16, 2015 09:39AM

I missed a couple of things. This has been brought up before. There are still a lot of references to "no refunds". Don't ever believe that. Don't go casually signing your child up for things and then back out. That is rude. But, if something major happens where your child cannot participate in something you signed them up for (major family event, an illness or injury, major change in finances, etc.) you have the right to have your payments evaluated for a refund. Each situation is very, very different. Trips, class and activity fees, etc. It all depends on the contract with the travel agent, where you are in the process, etc. Don't take a flip answer. If necessary, the Comptroller's office can be brought in to evaluate the situation and see what can be done. You might not get back as much as you would like, but take what you can get.

There was even a situation where a Booster club took it upon themselves to force a family to pay for something in full (an expensive trip) when correct procedure was not followed. They told the family their child could not sign up for another trip until they paid for the one their child didn't travel on (but was paid for by the school system), and they paid up. Now, the parents should have said something. That was very rude of them. However, the school should not have paid for an $800 trip for this child when they hadn't seen any money for months. A staff member should have talked to the parents about why they were months behind on payments BEFORE ordering a trip be bought for this child. The teacher asked the child if they were traveling, and they said yes. Well, Mom and Dad said NO, but it was too late. The contract is between the parents and the school system. Minor children cannot contractually obligate.

This family got a significant check. Several hundred dollars.

They actually ordered up trips for three kids, and all three didn't travel. What a waste of money. This got passed on to the other travelers. I think the school system should have paid for their mistakes. That will probably never happen.

And a group of volunteers should not be taking it upon themselves to browbeat a family like this. That is up to staff to handle.

This is so very important and some parents are new at this, so it is being brought up again at the beginning of 2015-16. Everybody has the right to pull payment spreadsheets, contracts, and accounting data at any point in the process. For trips and everything else. I was denied that right many, many times, I was threatened and ridiculed by staff and other parents for asserting my rights, and I have spent five years fighting for you all to securely have that right. It is a state law that you have the right to do this, so do it, and ask questions. It is all right there. If somebody makes a $100 deposit in October for a $900 trip, it is March, the final payment is due, and nothing more has been paid, something is wrong. Anybody can see that. If it is the week before the trip and there are $8000 of payments still missing, which happened to me, SOMETHING IS WRONG. The school system is not supposed to let kids travel who aren't paid up. That amounts to floating their parents a loan, which they are not allowed to do. That is a written policy. That is also theft of services. This happens a lot. Don't play this game. The school then turns around and has the other travelers shoulder the burden for their bad planning. That can really add up. Once that child gets to go to Disney for $100, it is a losing battle getting the money out of the parents. You can threaten no Prom, so they skip Prom. You can threaten no parking pass, but that is months away and they will just park on the street or take the bus. You can't withhold a diploma for non-payment of fees. It costs a bundle to go to Collections. FCPS has limited recourse, so just don't do it. If somebody thinks this child deserves a discounted trip, the other travelers don't have to pay for that, either. Equivalent funds need to be put in from somewhere. That is the written policy. And Boosters, you are not obligated to do this. These are optional trips. You are also not obligated to pick up the difference if the trip comes in over budget. There are such things as seriously padding the estimate (you can always issue refunds), upping the price later on, or sending a bill to every family whose child traveled with an explanation of how and why the trip ran over. These parents made a commitment, they need to understand this is one of the risks. Tell them right up front.

Before you hit that final deadline, preferably earlier, make sure who is going and who is not. Draw the line. Be firm. Get a larger deposit, preferably one that will cover a good portion of the non-refundable expenses and then some. You can always give it back. Tell the parents the child has been taken off the trip list if it appears hopeless. The school has the right to say that. They have the responsibility to do that. NO LOANS FROM PUBLIC FUNDS. The other parents are not BB and T. Make intelligent business decisions. Parents pay the school personnel to handle things properly and be fair to all travelers, so hold them to that. You have the right to demand an appointment with an administrator to discuss how your trip finances are handled. Don't ever forget that. If they are letting a volunteer keep the payment records, they are responsible for anything that volunteer does. This is a really bad idea, but they do it.

And get it all in writing. The trip cycle has already started. Millions of dollars of trips. Read and heed.

Date: July 21, 2015 09:38PM

Herndon Band. Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Ms. Wittmer, when you signed this check you obligated the "Herndon High School Band", which is a county run class, to a $5000 contract. You do not have the authority to obligate the county, the "Herndon High School Band", to a $5000 contract. The "Herndon High School Band" is NOT the name of the parent organization. You are not a member of the "Herndon High School Band", nor do you work for the school system. The drill for the "Herndon High School Band" is eligible to be paid out of public funds, but you are absolutely not authorized to obligate public funds. There is nothing in the school regulations allowing a volunteer, a Booster club member, to obligate county funds, or independently approve a major purchase of instructional materials for a class.

"Remitting a deposit to the writer will serve as an acceptance of the terms of this contract, in its entirety." Do you understand what that means? There isn't any other contract. I asked. This IS the contract.

You have really, really messed this up. Do you realize the seriousness of what you have done?

Somebody from the school system, who has the appropriate authority to do so, should be signing this contract. And that is NOT the teacher. If your parent organization wants to donate the money for it, fine. Just don't sign any contracts.

Let me guess-some other people did the EXACT SAME THING.

Don't do this.
Attachments:
HerndonBandDrill2015.pdf

Date: July 21, 2015 09:45PM

By "signing", I am referring to issuing the check. The person who signs the check has sealed the contract, since there isn't anything else.

What were you thinking.

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: July 22, 2015 05:36AM

Regarding "Tag Day" its not optional at my son's school.

I asked what size check should I write so my son doesn't have to go around the neighborhood begging for money, and was told "its not fair to the other students" if my child is able to opt out of this embarrassment.

Its not fair to me that I can afford to have a child and then support everyone else's children in the community.

Date: July 22, 2015 07:07AM

blanche Wrote:
> Regarding "Tag Day" its not optional at my son's
> school.
>
> I asked what size check should I write so my son
> doesn't have to go around the neighborhood begging
> for money, and was told "its not fair to the other
> students" if my child is able to opt out of this
> embarrassment.
>
> Its not fair to me that I can afford to have a
> child and then support everyone else's children in
> the community.

All fundraising is optional in public school. ALL FUNDRAISING. That's right. Tag Day is optional. You don't have to buy your way out of a fundraiser. You don't have to sell a minimum. You don't have to pay more for a trip because you didn't participate in a fundraiser, whether it is for a non-profit Booster club or PTA or directly for the school. If your principal isn't helping you, call your Superintendent. If your Super isn't helping you, call your School Board member. If you don't want your child going door to door, or saddled with selling cookie dough, just say NO. Their grade or other academic markers cannot be influenced at all.

Some kids just go around and hang the Tag Day bags on the doors and don't ring the doorbell or knock. That is one way of dealing with it, but they don't have to even do that.

The only things that can be charged are FCPS fees. And if they aren't charging them, or aren't charging what they could, well then, don't complain about people not going out and selling pies and stuff.

All fundraising is optional in public school. 100% optional. Period. End of discussion.

The attachment is a letter they thought about sending out. Somehow I don't think it did.
Attachments:
Draft Music Fee Letter.doc

Posted by: andrea t. ()
Date: July 22, 2015 07:53AM

Regarding "Tag Day" its not optional at my son's school.

I asked what size check should I write so my son doesn't have to go around the neighborhood begging for money, and was told "its not fair to the other students" if my child is able to opt out of this embarrassment.

Its not fair to me that I can afford to have a child and then support everyone else's children in the community.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*Post the name of the program that is giving you a hard time.

Posted by: sadstateofaffairs ()
Date: July 22, 2015 09:23AM

It is truly a sad commentary on our society when a team-building event like Tag Day and asking for community support for a high school program is considered an "embarrassment."

Date: July 22, 2015 10:38AM

sadstateofaffairs Wrote:
> It is truly a sad commentary on our society when a
> team-building event like Tag Day and asking for
> community support for a high school program is
> considered an "embarrassment."

Tag Day isn't a team building event. This isn't a "sad commentary". It is called begging/solicitation and some people do not like their children doing this and they have every right to feel that way. They don't like them bugging the neighbors, family, etc. What is sad is that so many people think it is appropriate to try to mandate this and threaten parents and children or bully them if they are opposed to this, and exercise their right to not do it. You cannot force a child to go knocking on doors begging for money in public school, and penalize them or their parents if they don't.

Tag Day is 100% optional. It has to be. Particularly if the money raised goes to a parent non-profit, which is not supposed to happen if students are used. I personally vote for a GoFund Me account for every single group. Or, do an alum drive.

Posted by: SALESPERSON ()
Date: July 22, 2015 12:09PM

As life-long sales person I object to characterizing solicitation as "begging." That is hurtful and debasing.

Date: July 22, 2015 04:19PM

SALESPERSON Wrote:
> As life-long sales person I object to
> characterizing solicitation as "begging." That is
> hurtful and debasing.

It's begging. It's soliciting. It's sales. It is asking people for money. Whatever you want to call it. If you are in sales you have thick skin. Many, many people are very uncomfortable asking people for money for things they want to do or having their children ask their friends/neighbors/relatives and putting them on the spot and they have a right to say no. It doesn't matter that it is for what you think is a good cause. Everybody thinks they have a good cause.

This is public school and that is the way it is. There is a lot of pressure put on people to do this and they don't have to do it. Period. There can't be any consequences for either parents or the children. You can't get a bad mark on your record. You can't be denied a letter. You don't have to put in X amount if you don't sell anything. You don't have to pay more for a trip if you don't do Tag Day or sell cookie dough. If people don't like that, then don't apply fundraising to the trips. Have everybody pay full price, and use the fundraising for instruments, etc. The school system has every right to charge full cost for trips. So, charge it.

Your child also can't get extra credit or a better grade because they fundraise or parents make a large donation, either.

So, charge the fees that are allowed. Return what can't be kept, set aside what can be for uniforms, and do the best you can.

Date: July 26, 2015 03:14PM

Westfield Band--

Attention Boosters-You do NOT have the authority to ask for a student ID number on your forms. You do NOT have the authority to be dealing with student ID numbers AT ALL, even if you sign any type of MOA (this was very clearly stated in the Guidelines-READ THEM). This has been explained numerous times. This is like the SSN of students. It is a protected number. Volunteers are not authorized to be dealing with these, even if they are helping staff as per the FERPA rules. NO VOLUNTEER ACCESS TO STUDENT ID NUMBERS. What is it you don't get? You make The List every single year.

Pre-season is "technically" optional. If you participate in PRE-SEASON the fee is mandatory.
Attachments:
westfield MB 2015A.pdf

Date: July 26, 2015 03:21PM

READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments:
guidelines student ID.pdf

Posted by: Just Say No!!!!!!! ()
Date: July 26, 2015 06:02PM

If you are writing a check at the grocery store, what do you say if the cashier asks for your SSN? NO. Because it is not necessary for them to have this information.

How many things do you have to sign if do you give somebody your SSN? A bunch. Because it is a unique identifier that is the key to a lot of things. Very few people really need to know what it is.

What do you say if a Booster club asks for your child's student ID number? NO. Because there is absolutely no reason for them to have this information. Do NOT fill in that blank if it is on any forms for them. That number does not belong in their files, their computer system, or anywhere they can even see it. What do you say if a Booster says we have the authority to do this? IGNORE THEM. They don't. Don't let them bully you around.

Don't write it on any checks, either. The bank doesn't have the right to that number. Nobody should be having you do this.

A student ID is a unique identifier and is the key to a lot of things. DON'T GIVE IT TO ANYBODY!!!!!!!!

And if Boosters are "helping" the teacher with forms, that number should not be on them.

Posted by: Dear McLean Band--- ()
Date: July 29, 2015 08:39PM

McLean Band-You are being seriously overcharged if you are paying $500 for Marching Band.

The limit is $300 plus a reasonable fee for summer pre-season, which is at ACTUAL COST. They can't skim off anything left over after all the bills are paid for pre-season and put it into a uniform fund. That is not compliant with school regulations. If you do any away trips, either with pre-season or during Marching Band season, they are supposed to be priced out separately and be at cost, and they are optional. They can't keep any surplus for these optional activities, as they indicate they are planning on doing. It is a violation of school regulations.

Posted by: Dear McLean Band----- ()
Date: July 29, 2015 09:49PM

Oh, and somebody at the school system confirms that Jazz IS a class.

If so, they can't charge the $100 activity fee they want for it. The limit for these types of classes is $50. Don't pay them $100 for it. They don't have the right to ask for that. It is a violation of FCPS policy.

Posted by: Dear West Potomac Band--- ()
Date: July 30, 2015 07:14AM

West Potomac Band parents-

The school system indicates that NOT ONE SINGLE PARENT submitted a check for their child's MANDATORY FCPS Band payment that was DUE JUNE 15TH (this was stated several times and is still on your website as the due date for the payment) for the upcoming school year. Either that, or the school system hasn't cashed ONE SINGLE CHECK. They are supposed to cash them right away. If you have any concerns about your payment, or don't like what they are saying about you, call 571-423-1010 and ask for the Legal department. Or call your principal.

This is going to be a long year.

Date: July 30, 2015 10:14PM

***** Wrote:
> Herndon Band. Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.
>
> Ms. Wittmer, when you signed this check you
> obligated the "Herndon High School Band", which
> is a county run class, to a $5000 contract. You do
> not have the authority to obligate the county, the
> "Herndon High School Band", to a $5000 contract.
> The "Herndon High School Band" is NOT the name of
> the parent organization. You are not a member of
> the "Herndon High School Band", nor do you work
> for the school system. The drill for the "Herndon
> High School Band" is eligible to be paid out of
> public funds, but you are absolutely not
> authorized to obligate public funds. There is
> nothing in the school regulations allowing a
> volunteer, a Booster club member, to obligate
> county funds, or independently approve a majo
> purchase of instructional materials for a class.
>
> "Remitting a deposit to the writer will serve as
> an acceptance of
the terms of this contract, in
> its entirety." Do you understand what that means?
> There isn't any other contract. I asked. This IS
> the contract.
>
> You have really, really messed this up. Do you
> realize the seriousness of what you have done?
>
> Somebody from the school system, who has the
> appropriate authority to do so, should be signing
> this contract. And that is NOT the teacher. If
> your parent organization wants to donate the money
> for it, fine. Just don't sign any contracts.
>
> Let me guess-some other people did the EXACT SAME
> THING.
>
> Don't do this.

Can you not read???
It clearly says "Parent Association".

Date: July 30, 2015 10:23PM

PLEASE CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING:

Oh come on! Shut your whining mouth of yours!
It is NOT your job to audit all of the music groups at the county schools. It is extremely sad that you do this in your free time. It is Gatehouse's problem not yours.

I understand that you feel like you may have been ripped off by a music group, but it looks really bad to go around and do what you are doing. Instead maybe you should voice your concerns to the school board, the board of supervisors and maybe even Dr. Garza if you can find her contact information.

It is NOT your job to audit all of the music groups at the county schools. It is extremely sad that you do this in your free time. It is Gatehouse's problem not yours.

I understand that you feel like you may have been ripped off by a music group, but it looks really bad to go around and do what you are doing. Instead maybe you should voice your concerns to the school board, the board of supervisors and maybe even Dr. Garza if you can find her contact information.

Posted by: leaveheralone ()
Date: July 30, 2015 10:41PM

Leave her be. It's fun to see the daily apoplexies of a sociopath. The posts are highly entertaining. Never have seen such self-importance in my life. The amusing thing is she can't seem to tell no one cares. I mean it sure seems no one cares. The very definition of tilting at windmills. But it makes for good reading. I am sort of surprised that FCPS hasn't taken out a restraining order on her. Who knows how this will end?

Posted by: ******* ()
Date: July 31, 2015 05:58AM

Can you not read???
It clearly says "Parent Association".

>>>>>>>>>>>>That's the whole problem. You aren't The Band. You are a volunteer and you obligated to a $5000 bill that is eligible to/supposed to be paid for out of public funds. That you don't grasp the problem says it all. Don't do this.

Date: July 31, 2015 07:51AM

******* Wrote:
> Can you not read???
> It clearly says "Parent Association".
>
>
>
> >>>>>>>>>>>>That's the whole problem. You aren't
> The Band. You are a volunteer and you obligated to
> a $5000 bill that is eligible to/supposed to be
> paid for out of public funds. That you don't grasp
> the problem says it all. Don't do this.

The contract reads "The Band". The check reads "Parent Association". The Band is the school system. The Parent Association is a private entity. Two very different things.

Posted by: And the trumpet sounds... ()
Date: July 31, 2015 10:04PM

Well you didn't post the contract. You just posted the check. And a check is not a contract.

Posted by: And now she falls... ()
Date: July 31, 2015 10:07PM

And who gave you permission to audit the county? You act like your the Nazi S.S.!!

That's all I'm saying for now...
I will just ignore this thread.

Posted by: Others need to help... ()
Date: July 31, 2015 10:10PM

I encourage others to question her "audits" publicly on this blog.

And if your wondering who I am... I am not a booster, I am just a citizen confused at your actions.

I hope you find peace... and I am sorry if I was rude.

Posted by: the trumpet sounded ()
Date: August 01, 2015 06:23AM

And the trumpet sounds... Wrote:
> Well you didn't post the contract. You just posted
> the check. And a check is not a contract.

The "contract" WAS posted. There is a sentence in there saying that the deposit seals the deal. The school system said there wasn't any signed contract. They were specifically asked for one and supplied the exact same thing. Witmer (and the other officers) probably obligated the parent association for the entire $5000. If they don't pay up, the guy is going after them, since they issued the check. THE BAND is the school system. If they went after THE BAND, the school system could say "we didn't make the binding deposit-this was done without our formal approval process" and leave the parent organization on the hook for the whole thing.

The contract was not between this guy and the parent association. It was a contract between him and THE BAND. Read the first line. The parent association is not THE BAND. Get your terms straight.

Let the school system write the big checks. This thing could have been entirely paid for out of public funds. Stay out of it. If you want to help out, donate the money to the school system in a directed donation. They will have to provide you with proof of what it was used for.

Posted by: trumpet ()
Date: August 01, 2015 06:25AM

"and I am sorry if I was rude."

Everybody's rude. Which one were you?

Posted by: Trumpeter ()
Date: August 01, 2015 07:44AM

Others need to help... Wrote:
> I encourage others to question her "audits"
> publicly on this blog.
>
> And if your wondering who I am... I am not a
> booster, I am just a citizen confused at your
> actions.
>
> I hope you find peace... and I am sorry if I was
> rude.

Yes, others need to help. Start pulling reports, asking questions, saying NO, and start looking out for your rights, which are being spelled out right here if you would just wake up and pay attention.

McLean Band parents are being screwed. Totally. You can't change the name of a class (both Jazz and Marching) to being called an activity and charge whatever you want. You can't alter an official template so that you can skim cash off of people that you are not entitled to under state law and school regulations. They are scamming you. Granted, most of you can probably afford it, but that's not the point. This is entirely unprofessional and unethical and for Ms. Reilly to allow this to happen is utterly pathetic. You need to call her on it and refuse to pay her like this. She needs to clean this up and comply with school regulations. If your child is in both Jazz and Marching, you are being overcharged by about $200, maybe more. If you want to donate that money to help out, you could write it off on your taxes. The most they can charge for Marching is $300, plus a reasonable summer camp fee, which has to be AT COST-they can't keep the surplus for uniforms like they put out. The most they can charge for Jazz is $50. They are billing you for $600- $500 for Marching and $100 for Jazz. Do the research. Do the Math.

Posted by: Dear McLean Band- ()
Date: September 16, 2015 05:25PM

Gatehouse is apparently still trying to comprehend the difference between a class and an activity, and doesn't seem to understand the difference between Jazz Band and Concert Band. They don't seem to know how to compare the template from the Comptroller to the template you were presented with, so they can't see the obvious conflicts. They are probably too mortified to admit they were confused, and so will probably do absolutely nothing to help you, but would rather see you all get screwed.

This is very typical behavior.

You have been warned.

All the rest are trickling in.....

Posted by: parentinhas ()
Date: September 16, 2015 05:35PM

I don't know why but I don't care about band or sports fees.
I don't even care at all

Date: September 16, 2015 05:58PM

Chantilly Band-looks pretty good. I didn't see any mention of TAG Day. TAG Day is optional. So is Spring Trip.

All money from the Tiny Tots and Holiday Spectacular and any other paid concerts is supposed to run through a school account. That is policy. These types of funds (school activity funds) are not supposed to be used to fund Booster clubs. Period. End of discussion. You have all been talked to more than once about this. Public funds are not supposed to be used to support a Booster club.

Date: September 16, 2015 06:20PM

Langley Band-

You are also mixed up. You also altered the Comptroller's template in order to skim surplus activity fees off of the families and scalp them. Shame on you. Do you have trouble reading? You must be taking lessons from McLean. This needs to stop right now.

The template and FAQ's read-surplus ACTIVITY fees go back to the families. Surplus COURSE fees can be retained for future uniform replacement.

Your Marching Band Camp Activity fee was a very modest $25. I would bet there wasn't much left over. Marching Band Camp is supposedly just in the summer. That is what the FAQ's say. Rehearsals during the school year are part of the class. They aren't an activity. But, you were charged an activity fee. So, the Finance Info. is incorrect. Any surplus was supposed to go back to families, not retained for future uniform purchases.

Jazz Band is listed as a one credit course in your course catalog. You don't assess an activity fee for Jazz Band then, as described in the Fee Information. You assess a course fee. The cost of $50 is within the Fee Notice guidelines, unlike McLean.

Posted by: le troll ()
Date: September 16, 2015 09:54PM

At this point you are basically no different than someone ranting about your vs. you're.

Everyone knows you're right but nobody cares.

Posted by: This woman ()
Date: September 16, 2015 10:25PM

Barb, who used to be a so- called supporter of Music Programs in Fairfax County has singlehandedly destroyed the morale of all secondary music teachers in the county. Because of her, teachers are spending hours upon hours on paperwork instead of being able to do their job teaching music. Some of the best music teachers this year left the profession - not because of their students, parents, school, etc but because the ten extra hours of administrivia each week destroyed their love of teaching secondary music. Very sad.

Posted by: Crocodile tears ()
Date: September 17, 2015 07:36AM

Oh, you are all upset because you have to follow the school regulations and state laws that apply to the classes? That's so sad. So cruel. Just horrible. I am sure you love the five figures of appropriated funds you now get for your programs, that you should have been receiving all along, because the school system has to fund certain parts of a class. That is the law. It's always been that way. It was ignored, which did great disservice to parents, students, and staff. Many schools now have the clear right to charge far more their courses than they ever did, since the Fee Notice was completely updated. I suppose many of you think the traffic laws are merely a suggestion, and that they are so cruel and restrictive. Horrible. A crying shame. DUI? Blame it on the bartender or the police. They are horrible. Stifling you. Don't take any personal responsibility. Heavens no.

It is just horrible that the school system is now having millions of dollars taken from families put into heavily insured accounts, and that anybody can see the records on their usage without a huge fuss, like some pompous Booster president and their pompous lawyer telling you that you don't have the right to see what was done with your money that you gave them. That happened. A lot of parent groups had worthless or no insurance policies and no officer liability coverage for what they were doing. Terrible. Stifling. It is also just terrible that all supplemental teaching staff are supposed to have a background check and this is supposed to be enforced. Terrible. Stifling. How could they?

School personnel licenses and contracts require them to follow all school regulations and state laws that apply to their classes. And they think they are above those because they teach a music class, and want to go somewhere where they don't have to follow school regulations and state laws. Fine example they set for the children. If that is the kind of teacher they are, the county is better off without them. I say good riddance. How would you like it if your doctor or banker did not follow the state laws and local regulations that apply to their jobs, and scoffed at the requirements for their professions and business and professional licenses? I personally would not want to work for an organization that thought they were above the law and ignored professional standards. I would not want to be cared for by a doctor acting like that. I would not want my money in a bank run by somebody acting like that.

I would not want want my children taught by a teacher with that kind of attitude. No way. Good riddance. Go be abusive to kids and parents in another county. Go ahead and go somewhere where you can break the law and ignore school regulations and get away with it.

No sympathy. Grow up. Quit whining.

Posted by: food for thought... ()
Date: September 17, 2015 07:56AM

What kind of restaurant do you like to eat at? One with multiple critical Health Dept. violations, like rodents and roaches and no hot water, or one that makes an honest attempt to generally follow the laws pertaining to their profession?

I have one word for you.

Salmonella.

Posted by: nnnn ()
Date: September 17, 2015 10:58AM

"ten extra hours of administrivia each week destroyed their love of teaching secondary music"

There is money available for extra finance tech support to help with records and financial data entry, if that is what is tying them up. Maybe the principals would probably rather spend that on fancy dinners, hotels, trips, lunches for them and their admin staff, etc. That seems to be a huge priority with a lot of them. Look at the processes.

Posted by: psyochpathspeaks ()
Date: September 17, 2015 09:41PM

Crocodile tears Wrote:
> Oh, you are all upset because you have to follow
> the school regulations and state laws that apply
> to the classes? That's so sad. So cruel. Just
> horrible. I am sure you love the five figures of
> appropriated funds you now get for your programs,
> that you should have been receiving all along,
> because the school system has to fund certain
> parts of a class. That is the law. It's always
> been that way. It was ignored, which did great
> disservice to parents, students, and staff. Many
> schools now have the clear right to charge far
> more their courses than they ever did, since the
> Fee Notice was completely updated. I suppose many
> of you think the traffic laws are merely a
> suggestion, and that they are so cruel and
> restrictive. Horrible. A crying shame. DUI? Blame
> it on the bartender or the police. They are
> horrible. Stifling you. Don't take any personal
> responsibility. Heavens no.
>
> It is just horrible that the school system is now
> having millions of dollars taken from families put
> into heavily insured accounts, and that anybody
> can see the records on their usage without a huge
> fuss, like some pompous Booster president and
> their pompous lawyer telling you that you don't
> have the right to see what was done with your
> money that you gave them. That happened. A lot of
> parent groups had worthless or no insurance
> policies and no officer liability coverage for
> what they were doing. Terrible. Stifling. It is
> also just terrible that all supplemental teaching
> staff are supposed to have a background check and
> this is supposed to be enforced. Terrible.
> Stifling. How could they?
>
> School personnel licenses and contracts require
> them to follow all school regulations and state
> laws that apply to their classes. And they think
> they are above those because they teach a music
> class, and want to go somewhere where they don't
> have to follow school regulations and state laws.
> Fine example they set for the children. If that is
> the kind of teacher they are, the county is better
> off without them. I say good riddance. How would
> you like it if your doctor or banker did not
> follow the state laws and local regulations that
> apply to their jobs, and scoffed at the
> requirements for their professions and business
> and professional licenses? I personally would not
> want to work for an organization that thought they
> were above the law and ignored professional
> standards. I would not want to be cared for by a
> doctor acting like that. I would not want my money
> in a bank run by somebody acting like that.
>
> I would not want want my children taught by a
> teacher with that kind of attitude. No way. Good
> riddance. Go be abusive to kids and parents in
> another county. Go ahead and go somewhere where
> you can break the law and ignore school
> regulations and get away with it.
>
>
> No sympathy. Grow up. Quit whining.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NARCISSISTIC PERSONALITY DISORDER

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of ultraconfidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

A narcissistic personality disorder causes problems in many areas of life, such as relationships, work, school or financial affairs. You may be generally unhappy and disappointed when you're not given the special favors or admiration you believe you deserve. Others may not enjoy being around you, and you may find your relationships unfulfilling.

Narcissistic personality disorder treatment is centered around talk therapy (psychotherapy).

Posted by: ....... ()
Date: September 18, 2015 06:08AM

NARCISSISTIC PERSONALITY DISORDER

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of ultraconfidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

A narcissistic personality disorder causes problems in many areas of life, such as relationships, work, school or financial affairs. You may be generally unhappy and disappointed when you're not given the special favors or admiration you believe you deserve. Others may not enjoy being around you, and you may find your relationships unfulfilling.

Narcissistic personality disorder treatment is centered around talk therapy (psychotherapy).

>>>>>>>this describes many, many FCPS employees to a T. They feel entitled to extravagances, shortchange others in order to get them, feel slighted when told they don't deserve them, will stop at nothing to get what they want, and move on if they don't get it.

Posted by: objectivity ()
Date: September 18, 2015 07:21AM

I have never seen a group of adults act the way people have been acting the last few years. Employees told to do their jobs, they ignore what they are told to do, and that includes Dr. Garza and her team. Volunteers who sign contracts to help the school system, and then the terms are ignored. Programs that now receive significant amounts of money, but won't hold up their end of the bargain. Administrators who would certainly expect money they turned in for a school class or activity to be properly insured and properly managed, but will not make sure the same situation is offered to parents. A Legal Department that apparently hadn't read and/or understood the MOA, the school regulations, Virginia FOIA, and the chapter on custodianship of public records, initiating a blockade on public records, and blaming the whole thing on a citizen exercising their rights. A School Board that when violations of school regulations and State laws are reported, does very little to hold the staff accountable, and make sure their constituents are provided for, and then gives themselves a raise, and wants to be re-elected and/or elected to higher office. Administrators that violate the trust parents put in them, take advantage of families, won't fix problems that arise, and belittle victims of their unprofessional incompetence.

If this is the way the adults are acting, no wonder so many kids are messed up. This is sad. It really is. Children and parents deserve better than this.

Posted by: Nu3D9 ()
Date: September 18, 2015 03:55PM

First it was the volunteers and boosters, then it was the directors and teachers, then it was the finance and admin, now upper management. It must suck to be the only person in the world with a perfect understanding of every interpretation and nuance of every regulation, directive, decision, recommendation and opinion. It must also suck that really no one gives a damn.

Posted by: ````` ()
Date: September 18, 2015 09:06PM

There aren't any nuances, so figure it out and deal with it. My God people are making this way too difficult.

Date: October 07, 2015 05:04PM

The SY 2016 appropriated funds allocation. This is money that the programs should be have been receiving all along because the school system is supposed to pay for mandatory portions of the courses.

The teachers and the Booster clubs should never have been left to raise this kind of money on their own.

Thank you Fairfax County taxpayers.
Attachments:
FY 2016 Music Assessment Allocation.pdf

Posted by: ()()() ()
Date: October 26, 2015 08:51AM

McLean Band has a cast of thousands for "additional instructors" for "camp". Just how do you spend $43,000 on "instructors" for what is supposed to be a two or three week "summer camp"? At $25 an hour, that is about 1700 hours of "instruction". At $50, that is about 850 hours. At $15 an hour, that is over 2800 hours of "instruction". They had spent $18,000 on "instruction" before "camp" even started. $18,000????? Many programs don't spend that all year.

They are spending more just on food for camp than a lot of programs spend on the entire camp. Don't kids pack a lunch any more? Band camp is catered?

Life's good in McLean.
Attachments:
McLean Band Fee 2015.pdf

Posted by: <insertnamehere> ()
Date: October 26, 2015 09:05AM

Keep this news coming, this is priceless!

Ever thought about releasing this info to 7 on your side, fox 5 investigates, etc?

I went through the same as a fairfax county HS band member in the early 2000's. Every time I looked up they wanted a check made out to the boosters for something or another- and when I asked for a new uniform as I had lost a lot of weight and needed a smaller size, they "didnt have the funds" so I had to go through marching season in a baggy uniform (literally pants falling off of me!).

Once, a low-income classmate had her personal instrument STOLEN (not her fault!) and asked the boosters with help to at least rent a new one to finish out the school year (only $50 a month too!)- DENIED! So why did they ask for money for a "assistance fund"???

Or how about the year I was HONESTLY sick on tag day and couldn't go out to solict donations- and harassed with multiple phone calls from multiple people about it wanting a doctors note!! My mom tore into them, I remember LOL. They didn't bother me for money again.

Keep this info coming, this is interesting!!!

Posted by: ^^^^^ ()
Date: October 26, 2015 09:44AM

Dear "insert name here"-

They had no right to harass you about TAG day. It should have been optional all along. "They" can't require a doctor's note for an excuse and never could. All fundraising is optional. Good for your mother.

The class money is now turned in to a school account. The Boosters no longer set the fees for these programs. They aren't supposed to be running these types of funds through their bank accounts. They never should have. There are still a lot of very confused people out there. The Boosters still have their own money. They do some great things but don't have the right to harass people. They just think they do. They really need to get over that.

My kid's "instructor" didn't show up for sectionals the whole critical month of September and still got paid a full salary. We were promised makeup classes. That never happened. Sure wish I could be paid full salary if I don't show up to work.

The uniform should not have been a problem. Kids change sizes all the time. They are generally measured every summer and fitted with an appropriate uniform.

Posted by: Whirlybird ()
Date: October 26, 2015 07:50PM

()()() Wrote:
> McLean Band has a cast of thousands for
> "additional instructors" for "camp". Just how do
> you spend $43,000 on "instructors" for what is
> supposed to be a two or three week "summer camp"?
> At $25 an hour, that is about 1700 hours of
> "instruction". At $50, that is about 850 hours. At
> $15 an hour, that is over 2800 hours of
> "instruction". They had spent $18,000 on
> "instruction" before "camp" even started.
> $18,000????? Many programs don't spend that all
> year.
>
> They are spending more just on food for camp than
> a lot of programs spend on the entire camp. Don't
> kids pack a lunch any more? Band camp is catered?
>
> Life's good in McLean.

Helicopter parents.

Date: October 29, 2015 09:01AM

McLean Choir- All fundraisers are optional. OPTIONAL. So, contrary to your teacher telling you "fundraisers may take precedence over practices and games/matches", that is INCORRECT. You do whatever you think is most important. Your teacher doesn't have any right to control whether you do a fundraiser or a practice/game/match.

Date: October 29, 2015 09:03AM

McLean Orchestra-
The information put out by your teacher says you are "expected" to participate in multiple listed fundraisers. These are entirely optional. OPTIONAL.

Posted by: Dear McLean HS= ()
Date: October 29, 2015 09:08AM

You are not being singled out. You just happen to be one of the most messed up schools. It's your own fault.

Date: October 29, 2015 09:46AM

Woodson Chorus-If your child cannot participate in Tag Day or you do not want them to they do not have to "see Mr. Ehrlich" to discuss this. You just notify whoever that they are not participating. That's it.

Posted by: :>/ ()
Date: October 30, 2015 07:16AM

McLean Band-

Your marching band bills are indeed really messed up. You were charged a course fee for marching band class. You were also charged an activity fee that covered the exact same thing (NOT an additional activity), and it was probably used to pay for additional instructors. You can't charge both a course fee AND an activity fee for the exact same thing. It is one or the other. The school system also can't send parents a bill for additional instructors for a course-just for activities, like summer camp. You are all trying to figure out a way to cover the $50,000+ of additional instructors you want for marching band, but this is not the way to do it.

Somebody made a very, very bad decision. You were most probably double-charged by the school system. That is a very, very bad thing to do.

Good luck straightening this out. Happy Halloween.

Posted by: ~~~~~ ()
Date: November 10, 2015 07:13AM

Lee Band-TAG day is optional. Louise, you told all the parents "all students must participate". That is not true.

Also, your summer camp fees should have gone into a school account. You don't write checks to a Booster club for a school-sponsored activity.
Attachments:
leeband2015-16.pdf

Posted by: _______ ()
Date: November 10, 2015 07:23AM

Falls Church Band-TAG day is optional.
South Lakes Band-Tag Day is optional.
Centreville Band-Tag Day is optional.
Edison Band-All fundraisers are OPTIONAL.
Lake Braddock Band-Tag Day is optional.
Mt. Vernon Band-Tag Day is optional.
Stuart Band-Tag Day is optional.

Everybody-Tag Day and all fundraisers are OPTIONAL. No "expected" "requested" or anything else. 100% OPTIONAL.

South County Band Boosters-You don't set the Refund and Cancellation Policies. The school system does. You can't have parents sign an agreement saying they understand the SCHS Band Boosters Refund and Cancellation policy. Revise this page.

Date: November 11, 2015 11:12AM

Hey Westfield-Why was an FCPS permission form used for a "Music Booster fundraiser"? FCPS forms can only be used for an FCPS sponsored activity. Tag Day is completely totally entirely optional. OPTIONAL.

SoCo Chorus-All fundraisers are optional. You don't have to "please be sure to participate in fundraisers if you are interested in going on the trip". You have the OPTION of participating in these.

Oakton HS Orchestra-You don't have to sign an agreement to support the OHS Orchestras Booster Club when you sign your child up for the class.

Mt. Vernon Chorus-Students graduate whether their fees are paid up or not.

McLean Orchestra-Spring Trip is totally optional. Really.

Langley Orchestra-If the school is not charging a course fee, that is their choice. That does not allow the teacher to beg for money for the Boosters. Staff are not supposed to be involved in pitching for money for Booster clubs. FCPS materials are not supposed to be used for this. Like the letter in the syllabus on FCPS letterhead with the teacher begging for $100 per student for the Boosters. Cut this out.

Edison Chorus-Tag Day is optional. OPTIONAL. They cannot be "expected" to participate.

-------All students should be able to letter even if they don't fundraise because fundraising is OPTIONAL.
Attachments:
Westfield Tag Day 2015.pdf

Date: November 18, 2015 06:28PM

Open attachment.
Look at page 22.
This is an FCPS permission form for Tag Day. For the "Music Boosters".
Katie Pierce required that this be signed and turned in with the registration materials.

The school system doesn't have any record of the principal approving this field trip. This was less than two months ago. So......

1. Either Dr. Copeland's front office is really messed up. Or.....
2. The principal never signed off on the field trip. Or......
3. The Boosters used an FCPS permission form for something of theirs.

None of these are good. They are all very, very bad. It looks like the kids were running all over the surrounding area being driven by parents.

Which one is it, Westfield?
Attachments:
WHS Chorus 15-16.pdf

Date: November 18, 2015 07:11PM

No matter how you look at this, particularly if somebody was hurt, you are all screwed.

FCPS can't prove it was an approved FCPS field trip. Big Problem. BIG Problem.
If it was a Booster project, and they used a school permission form, they didn't have appropriate permission from the parents to do what they were doing with your children. This thing would basically be considered worthless. On top of that, Booster clubs can't use school forms for their projects. And the teacher isn't supposed to be handing out this kind of stuff with EITHER scenario. She has to request and have have written permission from the principal to send out a 152.

Hello FCPS Legal Department.

Good luck.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Posted by: omgomgomgomgomg! ()
Date: November 18, 2015 07:49PM

***** Wrote:

> None of these are good. They are all very, very
> bad. It looks like the kids were running all over
> the surrounding area being driven by parents.

Although I don't have personal knowledge I'm pretty sure it was like every "TAG Day" of the last 16 years and just like every "TAG Day" operated by every high school in FCPS. It may sound like a high risk and dangerous activity but the kids that come by our street usually are driven by parents. Inhumane I know but what you gonna do?

Date: November 18, 2015 09:55PM

omgomgomgomgomg! Wrote:
> ***** Wrote:
> -----
>
> > None of these are good. They are all very, very
> > bad. It looks like the kids were running all
> over
> > the surrounding area being driven by parents.
>
> Although I don't have personal knowledge I'm
> pretty sure it was like every "TAG Day" of the
> last 16 years and just like every "TAG Day"
> operated by every high school in FCPS. It may
> sound like a high risk and dangerous activity but
> the kids that come by our street usually are
> driven by parents. Inhumane I know but what you
> gonna do?

Read. Think.

A school form was used. They don't have any proof that the principal approved this, which makes this useless. The parents maybe thought they were contracting with the school system, since they signed a school form. Were they? If this was a Booster event, the teacher and the Boosters violated a major school policy by using an FCPS form. The parents didn't sign any agreement with the Boosters. They signed an agreement with the school system. Supposedly.

If this was a school trip, all the drivers were supposed to turn in proof of licensure and insurance. That is policy. Many parents know that. If there was an accident, this would be a huge mess. If this was a Booster event, and proper permission forms were not obtained, but parents were falsely led to believe they had given permission, the insurance companies would have a field day with this. All of them.

This is really, really bad.

And no, they don't all do it this way. Wake up.

Posted by: Field Trips ()
Date: November 19, 2015 06:49AM

http://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfax/Board.nsf/files/A2TT55669213/$file/R5790.pdf

All field trips require the teacher to obtain the approval of the principal using a 140 or 141. This requires the signatures of the principal and the teacher.

Posted by: Field Trips ()
Date: November 19, 2015 06:51AM

http://www.fcps.edu/it/forms/fs142.pdf

When students are transported in private vehicles for field trips all drivers must turn in one of these.

Posted by: sponsorship ()
Date: November 19, 2015 06:59AM

http://www.fcps.edu/fs/comptroller/riskmanagement/factsheets/RM-34.pdf

If it is a school function, school forms and procedures must be used.

Boosters cannot use school forms for their stuff.

There is not any definition or rational explanation for "co-sponsorship" anywhere. Even the school system admits this. Ignore those references.

-----------------------------------------------

NONE OF THIS IS ANYTHING NEW. It has been this way for many, many, MANY years.

Pages: 123456AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 6

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.