HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: May 11, 2009 08:03PM

Ok so first off in the FCPS news:
The grading scale WILL be changed for the 2009-2010 school year to make it easier.

http://fcps.edu/news/grading.htm info here.


The more important matter is that of the November bond issue, and this is what people should be calling the school board about.
http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=328494&paper=61&cat=104


It seems that the november bond vote, which I can tell you is garunteed to pass, involves money for a South County Middle School. This is troubling, becuase much as the SOCO folks will say to the contrary, a whole middle school isnt needed there. Now I'm not going to say that the reason they are getting this funding is becuase they are richer than the rest of the county, its just that they can bitch at the schoolboard more becuase they have more money. And the schoolboard is afraid of rich parents who can sue.

The entire bond is for 232 million. 50 million is for the new middle school.
100 million is for renovations for Marshall HS. This school is in similar condition to West Springfield HS, and we all remember the uproar about how they needed their renovations. Actually, Marshall was built before West Springfield (1963 vs 1966).

But lets get back to the SoCo issue. Compare SoCo Secondary school and Westfield HS. Both were built with the same design, and both have become overcrowded. Westfield was built in 2000, became overcrowded quickly. FCPS put an addition on it, and the school is less crowded, but still huge. Then in 2005 FCPS built South County Secondary school. They took the Westfield design, sans addition, and expected it to fit both a middle and high school. Now SoCo secondary became overcrowded (wow, big suprise there) and what did FCPS do? They put up a circus tent next to the gym.

An easy, somewhat obvious solution is to either put on an addition or build a modular building. Of course the SoCo nutjobs want a whole new middle school, but that is neither here nor there. Wouldn't it be good if some school board members could think of such good ideas.

Oh wait, Stu Gibson did. "DURING deliberations over which projects to fund through the bond, School Board member Stu Gibson (Hunter Mill) did attempt to eliminate South County Middle School from the construction list. His motion failed.

Gibson has frequently said he thinks the current capacity issues at South County Secondary School could be addressed in less expensive ways than building a new middle school, such a boundary adjustment."

Hey, even Fairfax County Government people thought of it too:

"Last year, county executive Anthony Griffin also proposed a different solution for South County Secondary School’s over-enrollment. He asked the school system to consider construct an addition to the South County Secondary School building instead of pushing for the new middle school."

But that wouldn't make any sense. We will have to wait and see what Pat Herrity has to say, becuase he always has the right idea for what Fairfax County should be doing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Gannon ()
Date: May 11, 2009 09:15PM

Can't we have a separate forum for bitching about the school system? And maybe also one for bitching about the police, and another for ranting about illegal immigration.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: May 11, 2009 09:55PM

file.php?40,file=6489

like i read that shit. ^_^


"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Kenny_Powers ()
Date: May 12, 2009 12:02AM

i stopped reading after your first sentence. Ofcoarse they fucking changed the grading scale. They didnt lower the bar, they made the bar even for us with the rest of the nation. Someone that graduates here with a 3.7 is looked at the same as someone who graduates in california with a 3.7, they do not take into consideration that we have a tougher standard. go QQ somewhere else.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: taxpayers unite? ()
Date: May 12, 2009 03:29AM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok so first off in the FCPS news:
> The grading scale WILL be changed for the
> 2009-2010 school year to make it easier.
>
> http://fcps.edu/news/grading.htm info here.
>
>
> The more important matter is that of the November
> bond issue, and this is what people should be
> calling the school board about.
> http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?ar
> ticle=328494&paper=61&cat=104
>
>
> It seems that the november bond vote, which I can
> tell you is garunteed to pass, involves money for
> a South County Middle School. This is troubling,
> becuase much as the SOCO folks will say to the
> contrary, a whole middle school isnt needed there.
> Now I'm not going to say that the reason they are
> getting this funding is becuase they are richer
> than the rest of the county, its just that they
> can bitch at the schoolboard more becuase they
> have more money. And the schoolboard is afraid of
> rich parents who can sue.
>
> The entire bond is for 232 million. 50 million is
> for the new middle school.
> 100 million is for renovations for Marshall HS.
> This school is in similar condition to West
> Springfield HS, and we all remember the uproar
> about how they needed their renovations. Actually,
> Marshall was built before West Springfield (1963
> vs 1966).
>
> But lets get back to the SoCo issue. Compare SoCo
> Secondary school and Westfield HS. Both were built
> with the same design, and both have become
> overcrowded. Westfield was built in 2000, became
> overcrowded quickly. FCPS put an addition on it,
> and the school is less crowded, but still huge.
> Then in 2005 FCPS built South County Secondary
> school. They took the Westfield design, sans
> addition, and expected it to fit both a middle and
> high school. Now SoCo secondary became overcrowded
> (wow, big suprise there) and what did FCPS do?
> They put up a circus tent next to the gym.
>
> An easy, somewhat obvious solution is to either
> put on an addition or build a modular building. Of
> course the SoCo nutjobs want a whole new middle
> school, but that is neither here nor there.
> Wouldn't it be good if some school board members
> could think of such good ideas.
>
> Oh wait, Stu Gibson did. "DURING deliberations
> over which projects to fund through the bond,
> School Board member Stu Gibson (Hunter Mill) did
> attempt to eliminate South County Middle School
> from the construction list. His motion failed.
>
> Gibson has frequently said he thinks the current
> capacity issues at South County Secondary School
> could be addressed in less expensive ways than
> building a new middle school, such a boundary
> adjustment."
>
> Hey, even Fairfax County Government people thought
> of it too:
>
> "Last year, county executive Anthony Griffin also
> proposed a different solution for South County
> Secondary School’s over-enrollment. He asked the
> school system to consider construct an addition to
> the South County Secondary School building instead
> of pushing for the new middle school."
>
> But that wouldn't make any sense. We will have to
> wait and see what Pat Herrity has to say, becuase
> he always has the right idea for what Fairfax
> County should be doing.


Herrity has been hoin' for SOCO middle school. Mysteriously Lake Braddock now has room to be in a boundary change process with Annandale and Falls Church .

Bond referendums did not used to pass with a public rubber stamp so this could be the first failure in over a decade.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Mays ()
Date: May 13, 2009 07:31AM

I believe most of the info to be correct except for: "rich parents can sue." While that may be true, such suits are not usually successful. What they like about the SOCO people is their money and their habit of throwing it around at campaign time. Also, the SOCO school board rep used to head the middle school solutions group before getting "elected" to further her issue. Yes, I know I sadi SOCO school board rep.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: May 13, 2009 05:50PM

What's the last major lawsuit regarding FCPS? The one that comes to my mind involved McLean HS and Turnitin.com a few years back. As I recall, the students (parents) won. While McLean is cirtainly a more well-to-do part of the county, that couldn't have had anything to do with the outcome

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: LuLu ()
Date: May 13, 2009 06:21PM

I am very happy they are readjusting the grading scale. It has always been unfair.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: May 21, 2009 10:19AM

Why is adjusting the grading scale to something Montgomery County uses 'dumbing down' education? Is MCPS a low-quality school system? This is so much, 'meh,' to me.

South County MS -- if Stu Gibson is trying to rock the boat, this may be a worse case than the School Mahal aka Gatehouse II (I think they need to consolidate the office space, but question whether they're getting a good deal.)

OTOH, I'd hate to see Marshall stay old for another couple years if the bond issue gets rejected.

It's kinda funny how Herrity is against government waste until his district gets some. LMAO.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Lonnie ()
Date: May 21, 2009 10:23AM

Gannon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can't we have a separate forum for bitching about
> the school system? And maybe also one for bitching
> about the police, and another for ranting about
> illegal immigration.

Don't forget the separate forum for people who bitch about posts that they could have simply not read or ignored. Those jackasses take the cake.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: fairfaxdude ()
Date: May 21, 2009 10:38AM

Is there anyplace else in the country that uses the old FCPS grading system? If so, it's rare. About time they changed it--freshmen entering HS this fall in FCPS will now be on equal footing for college scholarships and awards with the rest of the country.

______________________________________________
I have had to change the addresses to my retaliatory blogs over half a dozen times.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Firrat ()
Date: May 21, 2009 11:20AM

A whole new school will require a lot more money than just construction. It will require more staff, more money for maintenance , more copy machines and computers etc.. Overall I see this whole new school idea costing ffx county more money at a time when the economy isn't at its best. Someone stated earlier and this is true; its because rich people can throw around money. Although this money thrown around by rich families will be no where near the amount the county has to spend yearly on the middle school. Everyone knows what the right decision needs to be at times like this and if the wrong choice is made through the current decision makers it is our job to discontinue our support for these decision makers for their future position in the "seat".

On the plus side it will create more jobs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: John Coyote ()
Date: May 21, 2009 12:51PM

Kenny_Powers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i stopped reading after your first sentence.
> Ofcoarse they fucking changed the grading scale.
> They didnt lower the bar, they made the bar even
> for us with the rest of the nation. Someone that
> graduates here with a 3.7 is looked at the same as
> someone who graduates in california with a 3.7,
> they do not take into consideration that we have a
> tougher standard. go QQ somewhere else.


Kenny, rest assured that your bar does not need to be lowered. It's resting comfortably on the floor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: May 21, 2009 11:09PM

My opinion is that South County SS should be expanded the same way westfield was. Secondary schools are great- less prinicpals to pay, less caferias to outfit, less computers needed, less hvac needed, and less land needed. Sounds like a cost effective option to me

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Kenny_Powers ()
Date: May 22, 2009 04:22AM

John Coyote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kenny_Powers Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > i stopped reading after your first sentence.
> > Ofcoarse they fucking changed the grading
> scale.
> > They didnt lower the bar, they made the bar
> even
> > for us with the rest of the nation. Someone
> that
> > graduates here with a 3.7 is looked at the same
> as
> > someone who graduates in california with a 3.7,
> > they do not take into consideration that we have
> a
> > tougher standard. go QQ somewhere else.
>
>
> Kenny, rest assured that your bar does not need to
> be lowered. It's resting comfortably on the
> floor.


ad hominem much?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: 703-4-Life ()
Date: May 22, 2009 01:31PM

FUCK FCPS!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Marshall gal ()
Date: May 23, 2009 02:51AM

Pretty sure that Marshall was renovated in the 1980's. West Springfield has NEVER been renovated and won't be completed until 2025. A kid born today will still go to an unrenovated West Springfield, assuming it doesn't just fall down before then.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Firrat ()
Date: May 23, 2009 09:37AM

Marshall gal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pretty sure that Marshall was renovated in the
> 1980's. West Springfield has NEVER been renovated
> and won't be completed until 2025. A kid born
> today will still go to an unrenovated West
> Springfield, assuming it doesn't just fall down
> before then.


How do you know the renovation won't be completed until 2025? Source?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: May 23, 2009 10:51PM

Marshall gal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pretty sure that Marshall was renovated in the
> 1980's. West Springfield has NEVER been renovated
> and won't be completed until 2025. A kid born
> today will still go to an unrenovated West
> Springfield, assuming it doesn't just fall down
> before then.


It may have been renovated to update electrical/plumbing/hvac and replace doors, etc, but the exterior, hallways, and other visible parts clearly need updating

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Marshall gal ()
Date: May 24, 2009 02:40AM

Firrat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Marshall gal Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Pretty sure that Marshall was renovated in the
> > 1980's. West Springfield has NEVER been
> renovated
> > and won't be completed until 2025. A kid born
> > today will still go to an unrenovated West
> > Springfield, assuming it doesn't just fall down
> > before then.
>
>
> How do you know the renovation won't be completed
> until 2025? Source?

Pat Herrity told me, to my face. Feel free to ask him, but that's where I got the date of 2025. He said this, back in April, "a child born today in West Springfield, will not go to renovated high school because it won't be completed until 2025".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: bolano ()
Date: May 24, 2009 02:56AM

A "D" is just a 64-66. Anything below a 64 is still an "F". There were parents whining on hear that a 60 should be a pass, bitching about those 4 points, very interesting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Firrat ()
Date: May 24, 2009 03:22AM

Marshall gal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Firrat Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Marshall gal Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Pretty sure that Marshall was renovated in
> the
> > > 1980's. West Springfield has NEVER been
> > renovated
> > > and won't be completed until 2025. A kid
> born
> > > today will still go to an unrenovated West
> > > Springfield, assuming it doesn't just fall
> down
> > > before then.
> >
> >
> > How do you know the renovation won't be
> completed
> > until 2025? Source?
>
> Pat Herrity told me, to my face. Feel free to ask
> him, but that's where I got the date of 2025. He
> said this, back in April, "a child born today in
> West Springfield, will not go to renovated high
> school because it won't be completed until 2025".


Probably cause of the budget? Delayed renovation?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Robin Hood ()
Date: May 24, 2009 07:08AM

Marshall gal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Firrat Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Marshall gal Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Pretty sure that Marshall was renovated in
> the
> > > 1980's. West Springfield has NEVER been
> > renovated
> > > and won't be completed until 2025. A kid
> born
> > > today will still go to an unrenovated West
> > > Springfield, assuming it doesn't just fall
> down
> > > before then.
> >
> >
> > How do you know the renovation won't be
> completed
> > until 2025? Source?
>
> Pat Herrity told me, to my face. Feel free to ask
> him, but that's where I got the date of 2025. He
> said this, back in April, "a child born today in
> West Springfield, will not go to renovated high
> school because it won't be completed until 2025".

I don't understand why WSHS was not put to the top of the list for repair needs. Is this true WSHS has never been updated or renovated in all the years since it was first built? If so then why Facilities and the SB couldn't get WSHS fixed if they knew the school was in dire need of repairs? It doesn't make sense why other younger schools such as South Lakes got funding to be renovated, etc while WSHS continues to be ignored for repairs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: ell ()
Date: May 24, 2009 09:49AM

The reason WSHS has not been put to the top is the bullies with the biggest mouths who want to run the show live elsewhere. Not in West Springfield.

Around here, it's usually the bullies with the biggest mouths who throw the biggest tantrums that get their way. It's rarely about doing something for the right reasons. It's about pleasing the right people and getting elected.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Firrat ()
Date: May 24, 2009 05:53PM

ell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The reason WSHS has not been put to the top is the
> bullies with the biggest mouths who want to run
> the show live elsewhere. Not in West
> Springfield.
>
> Around here, it's usually the bullies with the
> biggest mouths who throw the biggest tantrums that
> get their way. It's rarely about doing something
> for the right reasons. It's about pleasing the
> right people and getting elected.

This is sad but true

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: turkeystop ()
Date: May 25, 2009 07:18AM

The kids lost the lawsuit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Spartan ()
Date: May 25, 2009 09:34AM

Pat Herity also stated that a new middle school in SOCO is the most important issue in the County. (He and Liz Brasher are friends.) Yet, newly renovated schools nearby have empty seats that could accomodate SCSS's overcrowding. 2025 Because the renovation is not funded, but you better believe that a brand new middle school is funded. Oh, and the SB spent 75,000 dollars on a consultant to study the issue and 75k later the consultant said that WSHS should be the top priority. The SB ignored the findings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Uuuummmm............ ()
Date: May 25, 2009 11:10PM

ell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The reason WSHS has not been put to the top is the
> bullies with the biggest mouths who want to run
> the show live elsewhere. Not in West
> Springfield.
>
> Around here, it's usually the bullies with the
> biggest mouths who throw the biggest tantrums that
> get their way. It's rarely about doing something
> for the right reasons. It's about pleasing the
> right people and getting elected.

You mean democrats who ban together to get what they want? Liz Bradshear could only have ONE thing in her district, she's a republican doncha know? She could pick, her new middle school, or West Springfield renovation. She couldn't have both because democrats on the board won't make such deals with republicans. Liz chose poorly, but that promise for a new middle school was how she got elected.

Stu gets what he wants, renovations AND redistricting for South Lakes. Madison got renovated too. Janie gets what she wants, an addition on Langley and NO redistricting for her little dears. Dan Storck wants no redistricting in his district and it's done, even though Mount Vernon's under enrollment will soon hit 1,000.

It's all about who's in power. Democrats run the show. Enjoy!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: ell ()
Date: May 26, 2009 06:27AM

Uuuummmm.......--(Did I spell that right?)

In complete agreement with your post.

Daniel Storck makes sure he does not rock the boat for the elite in his area (Waynewood Elementary). Janie serves her wealthy clients in Great Falls/Langley.

It's so PREDICTABLE around here. Fairfax County is a feudal system!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Say no to School Bond ()
Date: May 26, 2009 06:53AM

ell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Uuuummmm.......--(Did I spell that right?)
>
> In complete agreement with your post.
>
> Daniel Storck makes sure he does not rock the boat
> for the elite in his area (Waynewood Elementary).
> Janie serves her wealthy clients in Great
> Falls/Langley.
>
> It's so PREDICTABLE around here. Fairfax County
> is a feudal system!

Stop the money and you will stop FCPS.

VOTE NO TO THE SCHOOL BOND.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Mozart ()
Date: May 26, 2009 10:19AM

Uuuummmm............ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ell Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The reason WSHS has not been put to the top is
> the
> > bullies with the biggest mouths who want to run
> > the show live elsewhere. Not in West
> > Springfield.
> >
> > Around here, it's usually the bullies with the
> > biggest mouths who throw the biggest tantrums
> that
> > get their way. It's rarely about doing
> something
> > for the right reasons. It's about pleasing the
> > right people and getting elected.
>
> You mean democrats who ban together to get what
> they want? Liz Bradshear could only have ONE
> thing in her district, she's a republican doncha
> know? She could pick, her new middle school, or
> West Springfield renovation. She couldn't have
> both because democrats on the board won't make
> such deals with republicans. Liz chose poorly, but
> that promise for a new middle school was how she
> got elected.
>
> Stu gets what he wants, renovations AND
> redistricting for South Lakes. Madison got
> renovated too. Janie gets what she wants, an
> addition on Langley and NO redistricting for her
> little dears. Dan Storck wants no redistricting
> in his district and it's done, even though Mount
> Vernon's under enrollment will soon hit 1,000.
>
> It's all about who's in power. Democrats run the
> show. Enjoy!

If you read the materials on the FCPS proposal to redistrict Annandale overflow to Falls Church and Lake Braddock, you'll see that the School Board instructed Staff to come up with a proposal that only involved those schools - and not other schools with excess capacity, such as Stuart and Woodson. Seems pretty clear that Lake Braddock was included so no one could say later that SoCo middle school isn't needed due to extra capacity at Lake Braddock...

And the other poster is right about Langley. There was no need whatsoever for an addition there. Langley overflow could have gone to any number of schools with extra capacity, including McLean, Marshall or South Lakes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Jester ()
Date: May 26, 2009 10:31AM

I've been looking for something to get pissed off about all morning. Thank you so much for this thread.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: ell ()
Date: May 26, 2009 11:01AM

Re-districting Langley H.S.? Students living in Great Falls attending South Lakes H.S., or Herndon H.S.?

Inconceivable!

Wasn't there an earlier thread on here about that?! (kidding)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Robin Hood ()
Date: May 26, 2009 01:14PM

ell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Re-districting Langley H.S.? Students living in
> Great Falls attending South Lakes H.S., or Herndon
> H.S.?
>
> Inconceivable!
>
> Wasn't there an earlier thread on here about
> that?! (kidding)


Yes if you are interested in reviving the redistricting thread. Many heated debates about how Langley was excluded, etc from that thread. Very irritating how the SB works together and what kind of intergrity and honesty they have to offer to their constituents.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: Mozart ()
Date: May 26, 2009 02:19PM

Robin Hood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ell Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Re-districting Langley H.S.? Students living
> in
> > Great Falls attending South Lakes H.S., or
> Herndon
> > H.S.?
> >
> > Inconceivable!
> >
> > Wasn't there an earlier thread on here about
> > that?! (kidding)
>
>
> Yes if you are interested in reviving the
> redistricting thread. Many heated debates about
> how Langley was excluded, etc from that thread.
> Very irritating how the SB works together and what
> kind of intergrity and honesty they have to offer
> to their constituents.

The point isn't that people are looking to rehash old battles - it's that past decisions affect future thinking. It's sad that some people might not be willing to renovate an aging West Springfield or Marshall because the SB previously squandered funds on an unneeded Langley expansion and plans to do so again with SoCo Middle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: ell ()
Date: May 26, 2009 02:39PM

No, not interested in reviving that very lengthy thread. Though I learned a great deal from it.

Yes, Mozart, it is sad that the FCPS school board members seem to have so little desire to do something practical for the future (like you said). Instead, they simply want to make a decision that certain parents want to hear. Operating on peer pressure.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: May 26, 2009 02:41PM

I'm very angry! :(

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: what about 2007 bond money? ()
Date: May 26, 2009 08:05PM

Bond
Fairfax County Public Schools
Referendum
Facts
November 6, 2007
Fairfax County, Virginia


What Is Included?
School Board Approved 2007 School Bond Referendum
New Construction: $ 65,000,000
New Elementary Schools:
Laurel Hill site $ 22,000,000
Lacey site (Falls Church-Annandale) $ 23,000,000
Elementary School Modulars:
TBD (12 rooms) $ 3,500,000
Rose Hill (10 rooms) $ 3,000,000
White Oaks (10 rooms) $ 3,000,000
Braddock (10 rooms) $ 3,000,000
Elementary Additions:
Hybla Valley $ 7,500,000
Renovation $ 160,800,000
Elementary Schools:
Beech Tree $ 15,300,000
Stenwood $ 15,100,000
Westlawn $ 20,000,000
Franconia $ 18,500,000
Oakton $ 21,900,000
Lake Anne $ 19,200,000
Clifton (additional planning) $ 1,000,000
Canterbury Woods (additional planning) $ 1,000,000
FACTS 2007 Bond Referendum
2
Middle and High Schools:
Longfellow Middle School $ 40,800,000
Marshall High School (additional planning) $ 3,000,000
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science
and Technology (planning) $ 5,000,000
Program Support $ 18,500,000
Pimmit Alternative High Adult Education $ 7,500,000
West County Adult Education Center
(planning) $ 1,000,000
Full-Day Kindergarten $ 4,000,000
High Schools of the Future $ 6,000,000
Infrastructure Management $ 29,750,000
Technology Network Upgrades $ 2,000,000
Americans With Disabilities Act Improvements $ 750,000
Roof Replacements $ 10,000,000
HVAC Replacement $ 14,000,000
Asphalt Paving $ 3,000,000
Inflation Adjustment for Prior Bond Projects $ 38,600,000
Completion of 15 previously funded
bond projects
Bus Service Facility $ 50,000,000
Cooperative project with Fairfax County
government, not counted against FCPS
annual $155 million capital improvement
spending
Project Subtotal Cost $ 362,650,000
Bond Cost $ 2,550,000
REFERENDUM TOTAL $ 365,200,000

What happened to the 2007 money that was approved by (stupid) voters?

Has the money been borrowed yet?

$4 million for all day kindergarten? Which schools?? When?

$50 million for a bus service facility??? Shouldn't a school that is falling apart come first?

We must say NO this time-time to take the checkbook away from these irresponsible spenders.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: 2008 school facility rankings ()
Date: May 26, 2009 08:24PM

Clermont ES 1 52.23 Score Sheet
Terraset ES 2 54.18 Score Sheet
Sunrise Valley ES 3 56.77 Score Sheet
Garfield ES 4 56.81 Score Sheet
Terra Centre ES 5 57.65 Score Sheet
Thoreau MS 6 58.05 Score Sheet
Westgate ES 7 58.14 Score Sheet
Haycock ES 8 59.00 Score Sheet
Langley HS 9 59.14 Score Sheet
Ravensworth ES 10 59.96 Score Sheet
Woodlawn ES 11 60.25 Score Sheet
Forestville ES 12 60.28 Score Sheet
North Springfield ES 13 60.41 Score Sheet
Springfield Estates ES 14 60.88 Score Sheet
Keene Mill ES 15 60.89 Score Sheet
Bucknell ES 16 61.60 Score Sheet
Cherry Run ES 17 61.78 Score Sheet
Waynewood ES 18 62.17 Score Sheet
Stratford Landing ES 19 62.50 Score Sheet
Newington Forest ES 20 62.52 Score Sheet
Hollin Meadows ES 21 62.59 Score Sheet
White Oaks ES 22 62.70 Score Sheet
West Springfield HS 23 63.10 Score Sheet
Mount Vernon Woods ES 24 63.81 Score Sheet
Herndon HS 25 63.84 Score Sheet
Rocky Run MS 26 63.88 Score Sheet
Belle View ES 27 64.06 Score Sheet
Annandale Terrace ES 28 64.19 Score Sheet
Clearview ES 29 64.21 Score Sheet
Oakton HS 30 64.54 Score Sheet
Hughes MS 31 64.66 Score Sheet
Silverbrook ES 32 64.83 Score Sheet
Hybla Valley ES 33 64.87 Score Sheet
Cooper MS 34 65.90 Score Sheet
Frost MS 35 66.06 Score Sheet
Washington Mill ES 36 66.12 Score Sheet
Braddock ES 37 66.17 Score Sheet
Fox Mill ES 38 66.51 Score Sheet
Oak Hill ES 39 66.63 Score Sheet
Wakefield Forest ES 40 67.47 Score Sheet
Louise Archer ES 41 68.24 Score Sheet
Crossfield ES 42 68.98 Score Sheet
Mosby Woods ES 43 69.96 Score Sheet
Bonnie Brae ES 44 70.03 Score Sheet
Falls Church HS 45 70.11 Score Sheet
Bren Mar Park ES 46 70.28 Score Sheet
Brookfield ES 47 71.29 Score Sheet
Lees Corner ES 48 72.40 Score Sheet
Armstrong ES 49 72.53 Score Sheet
Willow Springs ES 50 73.33 Score Sheet
Centreville HS 51 73.63 Score Sheet
Herndon ES 52 73.68 Score Sheet
Dranesville ES 53 74.97 Score Sheet
Cub Run ES 54 75.27 Score Sheet
Franklin MS 55 75.74 Score Sheet
Union Mill ES 56 76.29 Score Sheet
Centre Ridge ES 57 76.64 Score Sheet
Poplar Tree ES 58 76.86 Score Sheet
Waples Mill ES 59 77.30 Score Sheet
Sangster ES 60 77.39 Score Sheet
Twain MS 61 78.38 Score Sheet
Saratoga ES 62 78.84 Score Sheet
Virginia Run ES 63 83.13 Score Sheet


Langley, West Springfield, Herndon, Oakton,Falls Church and then Centreville.

That should take us out to about the year 2050.

FCPS has planned very well for these renovations, wouldn't you say?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS news! Get angry
Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: May 26, 2009 09:28PM

I notice Terraset ES is at the top of the broken down list.

What do ya expect? They built it in a freakin hill! It's probably collapsing and leaking like a cave

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 **     **  ********  **     **  **     **   *******  
  **   **   **        **     **  ***   ***  **     ** 
   ** **    **        **     **  **** ****  **     ** 
    ***     ******    **     **  ** *** **   ******** 
   ** **    **        **     **  **     **         ** 
  **   **   **        **     **  **     **  **     ** 
 **     **  **         *******   **     **   *******  
This forum powered by Phorum.