HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Used music stores?
Posted by: Space Ghost ()
Date: May 11, 2009 09:15AM

What stores have the best selection of used music gear in this area? I'm mainly interested in guitars, basses and amps for both.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Used music stores?
Posted by: Sculler ()
Date: May 11, 2009 09:28AM

Unfortunately, Guitar Center has taken over as the "Toy 'R' Us" of music stores, and their brand new instruments out of Mexico are an insult. However, I have seen some decent axes up on their wall that people have sold them. But like I said, whatever you do, do not buy their brand new stock. Go somewhere else for brand new equipment (that acoustic room of theirs does have some promise, however).

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: May 11, 2009 10:26AM

For the past couple of years I have just checked into Craigslist to see what people are selling. You can haggle with people and there's no BS store markup for the used gear.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: May 11, 2009 10:47AM

The precise answer is that there are no stores in this area that specialize in used musical instruments. Pawn shops own that mantle here.

Posted by: Anonymous Coward ()
Date: May 11, 2009 11:23AM

Atomic Music in Beltsville is the best in the area.

Action Music in Arlington has a pretty good selection of vintage stuff.

Does Southworth have a store anymore?

Posted by: DirtMcGirt ()
Date: May 11, 2009 11:36AM

Craiglist man, can't beat the prices. Just sold a bunch of music stuff on there.

Posted by: Fangorn ()
Date: May 11, 2009 11:59AM

I agree that Atomic Music is great,check it out.

Also, you need to be very careful buying on craigslist. I bought what I considered to be a good deal on a guitar, until the neck sheared off while I was playing it and it gave me a shock so bad I almost got electrocuted, and had to go to the hospital. Alot of junk equipment out there.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: May 11, 2009 12:56PM

Some guy I used to like but don't anymore bought a sweet looking guitar off Craigslist. Then he found out that the frets were made out of nickel (I think?), and the strings were causing indents in the frets. It was $100, and reinforced what my father always used to tell me, "You get what you pay for."

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Date: May 11, 2009 04:49PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some guy I used to like but don't anymore bought a
> sweet looking guitar off Craigslist. Then he
> found out that the frets were made out of nickel
> (I think?), and the strings were causing indents
> in the frets. It was $100, and reinforced what my
> father always used to tell me, "You get what you
> pay for."

And also reinforces why my father always told me, which is "research before you get what you paid for." Nowadays if someone posts the model of an instrument it is very easy to hit up Musician's Fiend (no typo lol) or other places to find reviews and specs. Someone would have posted a review saying "teh frets suck" and you would have known what you were getting.

And anyone with experience buying equipment knows you buy on looks in junior high school, and buy on performance when you get serious.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: May 11, 2009 04:54PM

I buy guitars like that with the intention of refurbing them with better everything (which is a trivial matter when you know what to do). If that's your game I say go ahead and buy on looks if the price is low.

Posted by: Space Ghost ()
Date: May 11, 2009 06:16PM

The problem with Craigslist is that you can't try out and compare a bunch of different pieces before you buy. I think Craigslist works better for amps than for a guitar or bass. You can buy an amp on specs and reviews, but with an instrument it's largely about the feel of the thing.

Date: May 11, 2009 06:32PM

Space Ghost Wrote:
> The problem with Craigslist is that you can't try
> out and compare a bunch of different pieces before
> you buy.

You can always go to GC and try out different models to get a feel of how pricier new stuff is, then keep an eye out on craigslist for people selling the same thing used. There are going to be pros and cons to both approaches, I usually hit up craiglist when I have a specific thing in mind I want.

Posted by: 703-4-Life ()
Date: May 13, 2009 09:48PM

Edit: Opss.... Nevermind lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 12:39AM by 703-4-Life.

Posted by: Porksta ()
Date: May 14, 2009 12:28AM

703-4-Life Wrote:
> Record & Tape Exchange in Fair City Mall (next to
> Trader Joes)

Same thing I was thinking until I actually read one of the posts in this thread.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.