HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Questions I've always wanted to ask about HOV lanes in Fairfax County... (Dulles Toll Road, I-66, I-95/395, etc)
Posted by: SantaPants ()
Date: July 19, 2006 12:08PM

Questions I've always wanted to ask about HOV lanes in Fairfax County...
(Dulles Toll Road, I-66, I-95/395, etc)

(1) why do people drive 55mph in HOV lane on the Dulles Toll Road when there's
no other cars in front them? (while the non-HOV lanes are bumper-to-bumper)

(2) Can you really use I-66 during HOV hours if you are driving to/from
Dulles Airport? For example, can I get on I-66 West at Glebe Road during
HOV hours if I'm driving to Dulles to pick up someone at Dulles? What
if I'm only going to Dulles to drop off packages at the cargo buildings?

(3) why are there so many HOV violators? I do see the troopers pulling over
violator once in a while, but there are just so many violators...

(4) how does HOV help reduce traffic in the case of a soccermom driving with
only 10-year-olds in the minivan?

(5) what's the reason for allowing single-rider motorcycles in HOV lanes?

Thanks! :D

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions I've always wanted to ask about HOV lanes in Fairfax County... (Dulles Toll Road, I-66, I-95/395, etc)
Posted by: brianl703 ()
Date: July 19, 2006 12:42PM

(6) Does anyone besides government workers (who could be working from home) benefit from the HOV lanes?

Re: Questions I've always wanted to ask about HOV lanes in Fairfax County... (Dulles Toll Road, I-66, I-95/395, etc)
Posted by: Dude ()
Date: July 19, 2006 01:00PM

Answer to #2 can be found on VDOT website.

Posted by: Cm ()
Date: July 19, 2006 01:14PM

(1) Because it's the speed limit.
(2) "Motorists traveling to and from Dulles International Airport on business are permitted to use I-66 inside the Beltway during HOV hours." Cited here.
(3) People are stupid.
(4) Have you ever spent time in a minivan full of 10-year olds? I'd want to get to my destination faster, too.
(5) Motorcycles are cool.
(6) People that work in Fairfax, but live in Loudoun do.

Posted by: Ëåòóí ()
Date: July 19, 2006 02:07PM

The correct answer to (1) is not because of the speed limit itself (you can easily do 80 on 395 HOV) but because it's strictly enforced. Drive 10+ miles and chances you get pulled over are close to 100%.

Posted by: Dude ()
Date: July 19, 2006 02:10PM

ïèçäåòö!

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 19, 2006 07:53PM

3. There are many HOV violators for the following reasons:

A. Some people of means think of it as a tax rather than a ticket. You get no points for HOV violation the first time, and it is a 50 dollar fine. Kinda light so a lot of people assume the risk in order to get somewhere they feel they need to be faster (guilty here).
B. Plus there are tons of assholes who just don't think they will be caught or don't give a fuck if they are.
c. The HOV times on the various roads in the area are not uniform. They all start and end on different schedules. A person who drives all of those roads may be confused and enter HOV during a marginal time, not seeing the sign. The HOV signs with the times could be larger and more frequent, if you ask me.

4. It doesn't. But we if we forced police to make semantic distinctions like that, they would be letting people go more often without a ticket, when in the meantime twenty single drivers have driven by that could have been nailed for sure.

5. The whole reason for HOV is to combat pollution (nevermind the obvious revenue part that the state will never admit plays into it). Motorcycles are the best nonpolluters of any practical vehicle that uses gas, afaik. Thus they deserve the same considerations as other pollution-reducers.

Posted by: look it up ()
Date: March 26, 2017 03:36PM

there is info out there

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.