HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
incompetence Principal at Mount Vernon High School
Posted by: Former Major ()
Date: May 07, 2015 06:19PM

Its sad what this great school has became under a incompetence Principal.
I want to go but not sure If I want to talk to this *****

Montebello resident Mike Skinner was a history teacher, basketball coach and sub school principal at Mount Vernon High School between 1955 and 1983. His name now adorns the school’s Michael M. Skinner Field House.

#“I feel very fortunate,” said Skinner, who routinely appears at the school to attend graduations and hand out athletic awards.

#On May 16, Skinner and dozens of former faculty and alumni will return to campus to celebrate Mount Vernon’s 75th anniversary. Skinner fondly remembers his time with longtime principal Melvin B Landes.

#“It was a privilege to work for him,” said Skinner. “The way he ran the school, scheduled every student by hand, knew every student, knew their parents — those 18 years I worked for him were one of the highlights.”

#For Class of 1980 graduate Billy Davis, memories that stand out are being part of the school’s first state basketball championship in 1979 (AAA) and regional football championship in 1979. “The stuff we accomplished as a team never really goes away, it’s always part of you,” Davis said.

photo
Photo contributed
Mount Vernon principal Nardos King.

#A football, basketball and baseball player at Mount Vernon, Davis went on to play football for Clemson University and the St. Louis Cardinals professional team. He now works as Special Agent in Charge for the U.S. Secret Service Vice Presidential Protective Division. In addition to being honored at the gala, Davis is also speaking at Mount Vernon’s graduation ceremony.

#The pressure of representing 75 years of former students in addressing this year’s seniors is a role he isn’t taking lightly.

#“My major take home is a creed I live by: Embrace the past,” he said. “There are a lot of people who sacrificed a heck of a lot to get you where you are now.”

#Davis said he’s maintained close relationships with more of his former coaches than students he played with.

#“Coaches, teachers, give up a lot on a day-to-day basis,” he said. “What people fail to realize who aren’t in education, they’re not in it for the money, they’re doing it because they want to make a difference.”

#CURRENT PRINCIPAL Nardos King said over 300 tickets for the evening event have already been sold. The program will feature a meet and greet in the Hall of Fame, remarks from former Virginia governor, senator and Mount Vernon alumnus Chuck Robb and, hopefully, a little dancing.

#Honorees and guests will span graduation dates going back to the late 1940s and early 1950s, King said.

#“I told the DJ to be prepared to play music from all of those decades,” said King, “a lot of oldies but goodies, some pop, maybe some disco.”

#King will be joined by five of the six living former principals of the school, which has only had eight in its history.

#“I feel honored to be the current principal,” said King, in her ninth year at the position. “With only eight principals, that’s tremendous and speaks to the dedication folks had while they were leading this school.”

#King will be presenting letters of commendation from U.S. Sen. Tim Kaine (D), U.S. Sen. Mark Warner (D), Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D), Del. Scott Surovell (D-44) and U.S. Rep. Don Beyer (D-8).

#“The list of awardees we’re honoring is a testament to the great educational start they got in Fairfax County,” said King. “We have doctors, lawyers, judges, military generals. The most important thing is the academics. If you work hard today, it’s going to pay off later. These folks are a testament to that.”

#The Mount Vernon High School 75th Anniversary Gala takes place May 16 at the school’s Skinner Field House, 8515 Old Mount Vernon Road in Alexandria, beginning at 6 p.m. For more information or to purchase tickets at $45, contact the school at 703-619-3100.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: incompetence Principal at Mount Vernon High School
Posted by: School of Hard Knocks ()
Date: May 07, 2015 06:29PM

What in the current principal's quotes suggest incompetence?

Date: May 07, 2015 06:32PM

School of Hard Knocks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What in the current principal's quotes suggest
> incompetence?

Her sol scores are a joke
Attachments:
CEWFDECUIAE-q2G.jpg

Date: May 07, 2015 06:39PM

If a students doesn't turn in an assignment the lowest grade he can get is a 53%

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: May 07, 2015 07:35PM

The way OP writes, it isn't the principal who's "incompetence" [sic]. Or is OP claiming it went to Mt. Vernon, and that explains the inability to write a coherent sentence?

Posted by: mmmmm ()
Date: May 07, 2015 07:49PM

.....and where is the manifestation of "incompetence"?

Posted by: Incontinence ()
Date: May 07, 2015 07:52PM

#Honorees and guests will span graduation dates going back to the late 1940s and early 1950s

You'll likely notice a stark contrast in appearance between graduates from that era and the kids there now, besides age of course.

Date: May 07, 2015 07:55PM

Incontinence Wrote:
> #Honorees and guests will span graduation dates
> going back to the late 1940s and early 1950s
>
>
> You'll likely notice a stark contrast in
> appearance between graduates from that era and the
> kids there now, besides age of course.

2014 Grad. I know it was all white back then lol

Posted by: baack 2 school ()
Date: August 28, 2015 11:53PM

Will this lady be "promote" this year?

Posted by: Humphries98 ()
Date: June 25, 2016 12:22AM

Keeping in Touch

Nardos King is principal of Mount Vernon High School in Alexandria, where I attended school. She would be able to tell you every student's name and something about them (and I mean every student). She builds and keeps relationships with former students after they have graduated from Mount Vernon and has a personal connection with each student. I believe she really is invested in all of her current students and former students and does everything in her power to give them the support, advice, and sometimes connections they need to succeed. She is a remarkable leader and treats all the students like they are her own children.

—Marla Carter, human resources manager, National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, Alexandria, Virginia

Posted by: Had enough ()
Date: June 26, 2016 03:33PM

Then why did she just get replaced in the middle of the year? Test scores?

Posted by: SOLSCOE ()
Date: May 16, 2017 09:23PM

LETS PRAY THAT SOL SCORES ARE LOWER THIS YEAR

Posted by: phelpsmarc ()
Date: May 17, 2017 07:31AM

Mike Skinner died last year.

He was a MV HS legend.

Posted by: Triggered Snowflake. ()
Date: November 26, 2017 02:15PM

MISS HER

Posted by: Your weave ()
Date: November 26, 2017 03:47PM

Triggered Snowflake. Wrote:
> MISS HER

I am Nardos's weave.

Why you miss us?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.