HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Stop Lights
Posted by: NOVA DRIVER ()
Date: July 18, 2006 10:16PM

I have always been curious about how stop lights are changed by remote control. Do police have a remote they can push or when their flashing lights are on the stop light changes? Also can anyone buy one of these remotes, are they legal and how much?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stop Lights
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 18, 2006 10:24PM

some lights do have specially equipped signals that respond to a certain frequency and pattern of light from a special transmitter, you can buy the remote devices online for no idea how much, but it is a crime to use it without cause at the very least.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 18, 2006 11:06PM

You can find those devices for sale on eBay. Someone out west got busted for using one a few months ago, the story made national news, and the guy was in deep shit. A few days after that on a local radio show I heard someone say that those things didn't really work around here, most of the lights aren't rigged for it. I guess you could roll the dice and buy one, but it might not work, and you might end up getting a felony charge. I'd rather just sit at a red for the time being.

Posted by: brianl703 ()
Date: July 18, 2006 11:55PM

VDOT has recently (this year) installed Opticom on most signals in Prince William County (Manassas and Manassas Park have had it for years) and I saw a contractor installing it at the 28/Willard Road intersection today.

Posted by: M ()
Date: July 19, 2006 02:07AM

What is the name for the light changing device?

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 19, 2006 06:46AM

>What is the name for the light changing device?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_Preemption

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 19, 2006 07:25PM

Seriously not worth the ticket and it may even be a misdemeanor. You could look at it as an illegal use of a public safety-related device. Pretty sure there's some law against that.

But yes some lights have them here but not many - yet.

Posted by: best answer ()
Date: March 26, 2017 03:38PM

don't try to beat them

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.