HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
wooden bowl repair
Posted by: wooden bowl repair ()
Date: April 24, 2015 07:17AM

Anyone have a recommendation on where to get a large, salad-bowl sized cracked wooden bowl repaired?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wooden bowl repair
Posted by: mjs82 ()
Date: April 24, 2015 08:46AM

I would thoroughly clean the bowl & the cracks with a mild solution of water and bleach. After it has dried completely, fill the cracks with an epoxy wood filler, one used by furniture builders. They come in many different colors and are easy to use. After it dries, sand the epoxy smooth, oil the bowl with a little walnut oil and bees wax. The bowl will have a wonderful charm to it. I have done this through the years with many wooden food contact surfaces such as cutting boards, bowls and old butcher blocks. As much as some woods have an antibacterial property, there is a very good reason food safety experts shy away from wood as a contact surface for food. It is better to be safe then sorry and fill the cracks.

Posted by: cabinet maker ()
Date: April 24, 2015 09:03AM

It will be expensive to be repaired. Its easier to do yourself or have a knowledgeable friend do it. Though, with wood expansion and contraction, if it cracked once it will likely crack again. Cheaper to get a new one.

Posted by: kev ()
Date: April 24, 2015 09:36AM

Epoxy will work, I would rather use this product because it has actually wood dust/fibers in it;

http://www.amazon.com/System-Three-1-Quart-SculpWood-Moldable/dp/B0015YPIZW

You'll need to sand and seal it though. How much is this bowl really worth to you?

Posted by: not cheap but good ()
Date: April 24, 2015 09:39AM

Chatree's in Old Town. He can fix/restore anything.

Posted by: seems like ()
Date: April 24, 2015 10:13AM

It seems like properly clamping the glued bowl would be the hardest part.

Posted by: Dr. Splinter ()
Date: April 24, 2015 11:18AM

I have a wooden toilet bowl I recently cracked with an explosive movement. Would the same apply in this case? Thank God for FFXU where I can get advice like this.

Posted by: xMwkp ()
Date: April 26, 2015 02:12PM

fill the cracks with an epoxy wood filler ...

is it microwave safe ?

will it hold boiling water ?

may as well use "outdoorized" wood glue (horse glue with a little special additive)

test whatever you use on a similar wood first or your sure to be dissapointed

Posted by: EXY4e ()
Date: April 26, 2015 02:13PM

the best way to destroy your property is to clean it improperly

(or fix it improperly)

Posted by: a chopstick and some duct tape ()
Date: April 27, 2015 10:28AM

This is not hard - wood glue will do. If the crack looks dirty or oily scrub with dish soap rinse and let dry a few days on a sunny shelf. Fit the pieces together and figure a way to keep them pushed together while the glue dries. I imagine rubber bands would work but you may need to put a shunt on the rim to keep the bowl from collapsing in from the bands. So a chopstick and some duct tape on the rim at the top and bands around the middle and bottom. Apply wood glue and let set. You can lightly sand any glue after it has cured then you can rub with food grade walnut oil. If you like you could seal it with something but I would go with the oil.

Posted by: hector ()
Date: April 28, 2015 03:09AM

senor I fik your bowel much cheap. Tengo el jb weld. come to el home depot en el woodprige. ack for hector

Posted by: clamping ()
Date: April 28, 2015 06:28AM

seems like Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It seems like properly clamping the glued bowl
> would be the hardest part.

Use a ratchet strap, or a rope with a stick and twist the stick till the rope is tight

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.