HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Looking for part-time job for teen son
Posted by: Centreville Mom ()
Date: April 23, 2015 10:00AM

Hello -

My 16-year-old son is looking for a part-time job in Centreville/Fairfax/Manassas area. Any suggestions for how/where he should look and apply?

Thanks!
Centreville Mom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for part-time job for teen son
Posted by: Y4kCp ()
Date: April 23, 2015 10:12AM

He's just got to hustle and not be picky. Spend 2 days driving door to door and responding to craigslist ads. His generation gets a lot of flack for having no drive so he'll impress anyone he talks to if he's able to sell himself.

There are so many opportunities around here. Retail, food service, literally anything. Any kid who can't find a job is just lazy.

Posted by: 6K4Ey ()
Date: April 23, 2015 10:31AM

School should be able to help - they usually have job listings for teenagers available.

Posted by: good luck ()
Date: April 23, 2015 10:40AM

The fact that you are posting looking for a job FOR him speaks volumes.

First, he should be out doing his own legwork to get the leads and information.

Second, get a skill. Have him signup for a lifeguarding class. It's a great summer job. It doesn't pay all that well, but it has certain benefits that don't come with a lot of other jobs 16 year olds have (well, at least it did 20 years ago when I did it).

Posted by: sldfjksdljfksdl ()
Date: April 23, 2015 10:45AM

I would suggest outdoor work at a nursery now that the weather is good. He'll be exercising, and getting some sun. Some of those guys who load mulch into cars for instance will also get cash tips!

Posted by: ref dad ()
Date: April 23, 2015 10:48AM

Does he play a sport? Refereeing is great job for a kid, although around here he will have to compete with a lot of adults for those jobs. Very flexible and can make $20 - $40 per game depending upon sport/certification.

Date: April 23, 2015 01:49PM

Thanks for your suggestions. He doesn't drive yet so that makes things complicated since I work all day. I want him to do something this summer and earn his own spending money . . . but I'll have to drive him there/pick him up. Since he isn't active in sports or swimming, that limits him.

Posted by: Vk4ed ()
Date: April 23, 2015 02:19PM

What 16 yr old doesn't drive?

Is he retarded or something?

Posted by: LNHLG ()
Date: April 23, 2015 02:42PM

I would imagine the many golf courses and parks in the area are looking for seasonal help. Moreover, both are normally busiest on the weekends so that could help alleviate the transportation issue.

Date: April 23, 2015 02:49PM

Thank you, LNHLG - that's a terrific idea as well! I'll pass this along to him to follow up.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: April 23, 2015 03:29PM

Vk4ed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What 16 yr old doesn't drive?
>
> Is he retarded or something?

Well, he isnt active in sports or swimming which means he's retarded, or a fat brat.

Posted by: let him grow up ()
Date: April 23, 2015 03:33PM

Does he have access to a bicycle? Know how to walk? I started working summers when I was 14. I walked or biked or hitched rides to work with coworkers who could drive. No way in hell was I going to get dropped off and picked up by mommy.

Date: April 23, 2015 05:10PM

Response to "Let him Grow Up" -

Yes, he has a bike. And he does walk. And, yes, he won't be happy to be dropped off by Mommy but the fact remains that he is still needs to get his driver's license (that's been fine with me as I'm not eager to buy another car or pay for additional insurance). He wasn't able to earn enough part-time in the summer at 15 last year to save up for his share of car payment, insurance and gas. Hopefully, he can start saving for all of that this summer.

I, too, was able to walk to my first job - babysitting for a neighbor - but that was many years ago. And hitching in this day and age? Don't think so. Are teenaged boys routinely hired to babysit for kids in the summer? Not so much these days. Don't mean to be dismissive or sarcastic but it might be that you got your first job in the era that I did - before bicycle helmets were mandatory, online job applications routine and kids applying for part-time cashier positions with actual resumes! He needs to get a job before he has o co-workers to ride-share. However, I do appreciate your response - thanks. I have always worked from a very young age, and I'm trying to encourage him to do the same - even if he's starting a later than I did.

Vk4ed? You're just a nasty person. If you've got time to respond to my posting TWICE with such disrespect for others ("retard?" - you actually use that term? Unbelievable."), it's not worth engaging in debate with you. The kid just turned 16 and I was looking for tips to pass on about getting your first job - beyond "working" as a unpaid camp counselor. Most of the comments I received were very helpful.

Posted by: uKUMx ()
Date: April 23, 2015 05:47PM

^^ helicopter mom

Let your son get out there and find a job by himself. He needs to learn Mommy won't always be around to wipe his ass.

Posted by: NANCY SALGADO ()
Date: April 23, 2015 06:07PM

30701_mcstatepic.JPG

He's get paid and learns Spanish for free!

Posted by: Nicdoot ()
Date: April 23, 2015 06:07PM

I've seen lots of teenagers hired to bag groceries. Also check at the library for page positions.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: April 23, 2015 10:16PM

Notwithstanding the gratuitous nastiness (par for the course here), this is the wrong place to ask such a question.

And it does seem odd/wrong/something for the parent to be asking it.

Posted by: The Local Contractor ()
Date: April 23, 2015 10:24PM

Always looking for part-time help....

Posted by: Derfx ()
Date: April 23, 2015 10:30PM

Get him a lawnmower, cut the neighbors lawn, this time of year he' ll make money.

Posted by: john deere ()
Date: April 24, 2015 06:37AM

You own a lawnmower? Get him to knock on some doors and see who wants their lawn mowed. He can make more money doing that. I made more money doing that than all my friends who had regular jobs

Re: Looking for part-time job for teen son - Wrap Up
Date: April 24, 2015 07:05AM

Thanks to all of you who provided the great suggestions and supportive comments. I've shared the information and it's up to him now to make it happen. Thanks again.

Posted by: mMWLt ()
Date: April 26, 2015 02:15PM

the military - where all indifferent parents send their kids to get rid of them !

Posted by: DXkhG ()
Date: April 26, 2015 02:18PM

show him what a good parent does and how you've prepared the town and or your family business for his life.

show him he'll work for minimum wage and mexicans will not hire him - and most everyplace in fairfax is %100 foreigner run.

Posted by: euTvP ()
Date: April 27, 2015 08:15AM

Most have been said but...

Lifeguard

Walk Pets

Bagger @ grocery store, Costco, BJ's would pay a little more!

Walmart/Target (worth a shot!)

Babysit (he is a boy- but get him classes and advertise that fact you might luck out! I wish I had a male sitter for my son when he was younger- he had one at his preschool that was WONDERFUL!!! Male role models rock! So do male nurses!)

Help push around patients in beds/wheelchairs at the hospital? (dont know the technical name for that but i have seen young people doing that)

Cut lawns- I could have used a young man but I did it already! Just $10 for a townhouse lawn and $20 for a house lawn ($40 for larger lawns)= $$$

Clean cars- using their hose of course- but you provide bucket, soap, wax (armor all is good you can get a big jug at walmart cheap), 30-40 min. per car, $10 a car for a good handwash!

Summer camps that PAY their workers (check with the county? I did back in the 90's!)

Posted by: vXpwN ()
Date: May 05, 2015 08:42PM

The best thing in the world for OP's son is to get a job.

The next best thing in the world is for OP's son to find this job with no help whatsoever from OP, except to drive son to his job interview. The kid needs to do the leg work.

What OP can do is remind the kid about little things like dressing well, saying "Yes, Sir" and "Yes, Ma'am." And being on time. And always having a smile on your face when you are at work, no matter what. And the other things.

These things all add up to success.

Or your son can go occupy some sidewalk in New York like a good Liberal.

Posted by: Inquisitive One ()
Date: May 06, 2015 01:15AM

There are tons of life saving jobs. The only thing is that you have to get certified which is good for three years.

Posted by: Is a ()
Date: May 06, 2015 02:42AM

Y4kCp Wrote:
> He's just got to hustle and not be picky. Spend 2
> days driving door to door and responding to
> craigslist ads. His generation gets a lot of
> flack for having no drive so he'll impress anyone
> he talks to if he's able to sell himself.
>
> There are so many opportunities around here.
> Retail, food service, literally anything. Any kid
> who can't find a job is just lazy.

is a string of short term jobs better than no job? Adding that these string of short jobs will be included on government checks?

Re: Looking for part-time job for teen son - Wrap Up
Posted by: Surley McNasty ()
Date: May 06, 2015 03:49AM

Well, Centreville Mom, are you hot? Sonny boy could pimp you out and take a percentage of your bj and fumbuckery action.

Centreville Mom Wrote:
> Thanks to all of you who provided the great
> suggestions and supportive comments. I've shared
> the information and it's up to him now to make it
> happen. Thanks again.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.