HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Tree service gypsies
Posted by: Enoughalready ()
Date: April 17, 2015 07:38AM

No soliciting = I don't want you coming to my door and bothering me when I'm working.
I can call someone if I need tree work or do it myself. Read the sign and respect property owners or your business is going nowhere.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tree service gypsies
Posted by: Fair enough ()
Date: April 17, 2015 10:20AM

If you have a "No soliciting" sign, it should be respected... by tree cutters, proselytizers, and fundraisers.

That said, a tree service is no more a "gypsy" than any other business that makes cold calls. If they can provide proof if insurance, references, and a fair estimate, why shouldn't they come around? Many people want some work done but have not yet called a tree service, or felt that the amount of work was too small for a tree service to come out on a special trip for it.

Posted by: ^Hasn'tLearnedYet ()
Date: April 17, 2015 11:30AM

Tree service, driveway sealing, gutter cleaning, house painting, etc.; all things that probably need done around your house, but you will eventually do them yourself, or call a business directly to get them taken care of. No one goes door-to-door hawking home maintenance services...they're all classic gypsy guises to either bilk you out of cash, or get into your home on false pretenses so that they can rob you blind. You've been warned.

Thomas & Son knocking at your door? LOCK THE DEADBOLT & THREATEN TO CALL THE POLICE!

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/1734273/1838295.html

The more people that are aware and wise up to the scamming and thievery, the sooner the gypsies will pack up move on to go bother some other unwitting community that's not Fairfax. As it stands now with 6 million+ people in the metro population, there is no end in sight. Gypsy/Roma/Romani/Romany/Rummey clans have no business being here if all they intend to do is lie, cheat, and most importantly of all, practice their "God-given" right to steal.

Worst of all, they mostly prey on the weakest members of any community: the elderly.

Posted by: calm down ()
Date: April 17, 2015 12:31PM

You sound as if you are afraid of your own shadow. There are all kinds of people who "lie, cheat, and most importantly of all, practice their "God-given" right to steal". Many hold public office! Yeah there are dishonest handymen out there, and honest ones too.

Posted by: Romney and Rumsfeld ()
Date: April 17, 2015 12:39PM

"Gypsy/Roma/Romani/Romany/Rummey"
Most of the tree guys I see come around are Irish rednecks. But does their race matter?

Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan ()
Date: April 17, 2015 01:01PM

Romney and Rumsfeld Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Gypsy/Roma/Romani/Romany/Rummey"
> Most of the tree guys I see come around are Irish
> rednecks. But does their race matter?

Could be Travellers, an Irish form of Gypsy.

Posted by: ^Hasn'tLearnedYet ()
Date: April 17, 2015 03:19PM

calm down Wrote:
> You sound as if you are afraid of your own shadow.
> There are all kinds of people who "lie, cheat,
> and most importantly of all, practice their
> "God-given" right to steal". Many hold public
> office! Yeah there are dishonest handymen out
> there, and honest ones too.

There are plenty of honest handymen out there. When I need work done, I'll browse a review or two on Angie's List or Yelp before I call one up.

But what I don't need is someone soliciting handyman work at my front door, telling me what I need done around the house as a distraction, while his/her partner cases my home to check and see if I just might happen to keep my back door unlocked in the daytime. It'd be a much easier day's worth of work to just steal a few pieces of jewelry, than to actually have to work at spraying down a driveway with used motor oil, and then overcharging for the shoddy work that'll wash away the next time it rains.

You make it sound like I'm joking, but Romanis really do believe that it is their "God-given" right to steal. It's ingrained in them as toddlers, and they think of it as a disservice to their own culture to not steal anything they can get their hands on in order to support their family.

Gypsies have a debt to pay off? Oh, we could all get jobs, but let's just start a multi-million dollar petty-theft ring instead and put our real talents to work: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/18/17361952-gypsy-family-arrested-for-stealing-3-million-worth-of-goods-to-pay-for-debt?lite

Get worked over by a gypsy? The police will catch on quickly and declare it a civil matter, basically saying you should have known better than to get involved with them. Good luck on ever finding a gypsy again once they've got your cash in their hands and have ran off with it.

Posted by: rusky ()
Date: April 17, 2015 03:33PM

^ 100% Agree.

I'm seeing a lot more gypsies in the Fairfax area. This is a perfect area for them to thrive. People here are very naive about other cultures and have a lot of money to blow. In Europe and Russia they dig in dumpsters and eat out of the trash because everyone knows they are worthless roaches. The only way they can make money over there is by pick-pocketing and scamming tourists, usually Americans.

I had some pull up next to me in a BMW at stop light and ask to repair a dent on my car. I told them to fuck off, but they did it to someone else and he actually engaged in conversation and followed him into a parking lot. Probably made an easy few hundred from that guy.

Posted by: Gfchd ()
Date: April 17, 2015 06:02PM

I just saw a beggar with a sign at the corner of FFX County Parkway and Braddock. WTF

Posted by: hPDMF ()
Date: April 17, 2015 06:23PM

On all of those shows about Romani Gypsies they live in western Md, West Va, Kentucky, Tennessee and they are either white looking or a lighter brown shade a mix of Indian (source of Gypsies to Eastern Europe) and European.

The half assed driveway asphalting seems to be their go to scam but I'm sure there are many more. DC suburbs would be ripe fruit for them and not too far away from where their larger communities live.

Posted by: They prey on landlords too ()
Date: April 17, 2015 09:05PM

Wonder why you need to put two months down plus security when renting a place? Because these Gypsies, particularly the Demetro and Marks families, fake references, counterfeit employment docs, get into apartments, and then stop paying rent. Complete low lifes. And prey they never hit you in one their $1500 cash paid shitty cars. No insurance at all.

Yeah, never use anyone who comes to you door to door, and pressures you on the spot. They're all scammers, many of them Gypsies.

Posted by: observant tenant ()
Date: April 18, 2015 08:54AM

They prey on landlords too Wrote:
> Wonder why you need to put two months down plus
> security when renting a place? Because these
> Gypsies, particularly the Demetro and Marks
> families, fake references, counterfeit employment
> docs, get into apartments, and then stop paying
> rent. Complete low lifes. And prey they never hit
> you in one their $1500 cash paid shitty cars. No
> insurance at all.
>
> Yeah, never use anyone who comes to you door to
> door, and pressures you on the spot. They're all
> scammers, many of them Gypsies.

Hey, I'm not defending them or anything like that, because stealing is wrong, but I just wanted to add, that i have seen ^^^that ^^ thing ^^^ where someone just doesn't pay rent and stay there seemingly indefinitely,till they are removed, happen before..not always gypsies, Romanian,redneck, or otherwise. No joke, I have seen neighbors or down the street of just about all ethnicities pull that dirty trick during my lifetime. And of course if any one or two strangers approaches you in your yard about handyman, gutter work, tree services,etc, probably best to get rid of them asap, especially if they're pushy.

Posted by: They're baaaack! ()
Date: April 20, 2015 02:15PM

Two "teams" must've have gotten their marks mixed up yesterday in my neighborhood, because two different trucks came by my house in the early afternoon about hour apart. Both crews gave the exact same pitch about being able to "do any type of home repair imaginable."

A couple of older teens on the crews looked like they'd never swung a hammer a single day in their lives. I hate to stereotype, but these dudes straight-up looked like the textbook picture of a gypsy. Worn-out clothes from the 80s, jet-black and greasy hair, darker tanned skin, multiple moles on the faces of some men, and a ramshackle work truck with a bed-full of random tools, some of which were pretty obviously stolen.

I declined, and sent them on their way without an issue. But beware, they're back on the prowl.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.