HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Verizon FiOS Performance/Connection Issues
Posted by: Shawshank ()
Date: April 15, 2015 07:28AM

Is anyone experiencing performance issues with Verizon FiOS this week? I have been getting a "Gateway Timeout: can't connect to remote host" error message on a lot of pages over the past few days. Sometimes hitting reload will bring the page up quickly, but not always.

I have reset (power cycled) my router and a call to Verizon tech support did not offer any answers. If it helps I am Fairfax Station between GMU and Burke Center.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Verizon FiOS Performance/Connection Issues
Posted by: Cable Guy ()
Date: April 15, 2015 08:37AM

Verizon internet service sucks. We are supposed to be getting 50mbps/50mbps at our house in Fairfax Station. We barely get 20mbps download and 2mbps upload. This is on a computer connected directly to the router. The technical support at Verizon sucks. First of all they will tell you speeds are not guaranteed and are "up to," 50mbps and speeds of 20 - 25mbps during prime hours (8am - 11:59pm daily) are within the acceptable range! They only look at speeds using their speedtest, not others which is not a true indicator of internet performance. Finally, they require a download of their diagnostic software onto your computer that will permit a FIOS technician to take control of the computer to figure out the problem remotely! They will not send a technician out to your home without a technician performing the remote diagnostic and confirmation of speed using the FIOS speed test. Even then, they will not schedule a service call unless you are willing to pay for the service call starting at a, "discounted rate," of $99 for the first hour and $58 for each additional 1/2 hour with a minimum of 2 hours ($215!) which will be added to the already outragous monthly bill!

Posted by: A20 ()
Date: April 15, 2015 08:53AM

I live in Bethesda - and we're getting the same errors. It's intermittent, works for a few minutes - then Gateway Timeout again. I've called FIOS a few times - will write back here if we find a solution.

Posted by: Joe Bloe ()
Date: April 15, 2015 09:02AM

Yes. Annandale here, and my internet has been acting strangely this week as well. I've been getting lots of blank white pages when trying to sign into my hotmail or visit web pages.

Posted by: have---fun ()
Date: April 15, 2015 09:07AM

Verizon...when service works, all is good. When it messes up, prepare for support hell. Have fun talking to 'John Wayne' in Bangalore, who you will have the pleasure of waiting on hold for more than an hour for.

Posted by: hwx4y ()
Date: April 15, 2015 09:50AM

I've always had COX and never experienced any problem with them.

Also, I'm not on the internet 24/7 so if it ever did have problems then I was lucky enough not to be on it when it did. Usually on only an hour or two a day.

It's called having a LIFE!!!!!

Posted by: Same here ()
Date: April 15, 2015 10:15AM

Working from home today on things that require a solid connection. Yeah, I'm getting random connection issues here and there.

Posted by: Same problem ()
Date: April 15, 2015 10:38AM

Yes, same problems in Ffx Station. Started late last night & still continuing

Posted by: usuallynotbad ()
Date: April 15, 2015 10:43AM

Same happened yesterday in Centreville.

Have had FIOS for about 6+ years. Normally excellent performance. Very few issues over the years. But yeah, when there is a problem... prepare to suffer.

Posted by: WD40 ()
Date: April 15, 2015 11:18AM

Cable Guy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Verizon internet service sucks. We are supposed
> to be getting 50mbps/50mbps at our house in
> Fairfax Station. We barely get 20mbps download
> and 2mbps upload. This is on a computer connected
> directly to the router. The technical support at
> Verizon sucks. First of all they will tell you
> speeds are not guaranteed and are "up to," 50mbps
> and speeds of 20 - 25mbps during prime hours (8am
> - 11:59pm daily) are within the acceptable range!
> They only look at speeds using their speedtest,
> not others which is not a true indicator of
> internet performance. Finally, they require a
> download of their diagnostic software onto your
> computer that will permit a FIOS technician to
> take control of the computer to figure out the
> problem remotely! They will not send a technician
> out to your home without a technician performing
> the remote diagnostic and confirmation of speed
> using the FIOS speed test. Even then, they will
> not schedule a service call unless you are willing
> to pay for the service call starting at a,
> "discounted rate," of $99 for the first hour and
> $58 for each additional 1/2 hour with a minimum of
> 2 hours ($215!) which will be added to the already
> outragous monthly bill!

I had similar problems though I was only getting about 3mbs on average, 15 max. (Ffx station as well). I called and they said it was because of the way the lines were laid out, that there was too many people on one connection. My contract was just up and I toyed with going with cox but I renewed and went with the 75mbs package while eliminating some of the tv channels we no longer watch (lower price overall). They included the new modem at no charge in the package and it has made a world of difference- longer range wifi, no netflix buffering and I just checked- 78mbs on the speed test. Of course its 78 mid day, in the evenings its around 30, still a huge improvement for us.

Posted by: Joe Bloe ()
Date: April 15, 2015 11:58AM

hwx4y Wrote:
> I've always had COX and never experienced any
> problem with them.
>
> Also, I'm not on the internet 24/7 so if it ever
> did have problems then I was lucky enough not to
> be on it when it did. Usually on only an hour or
> two a day.
>
> It's called having a LIFE!!!!!

I had a lot of problems with Cox. Blocks of channels going out repeatedly, even after a technician came out. Internet was slower and went out more too. Switched to Fios and have far fewer problems. I will say this, Cox is MUCH better about helpiing you when you do have a problem. My Fios contract is almost up and I'm thinking of switching back just save some money, but then it's back to more problems.

Date: April 15, 2015 03:33PM

UPDATE...I spoke with Verizon Tech Support again and they reset my ONT which "seems" to have resolved the problem, but they are also sending me a new router since I have had this once since FiOS first came to my neighborhood at least 5 years ago.

I was told that this would be easier to troubleshoot if I had a wired connection, but my Mac PowerBook does not have an Ethernet port.

Fingers crossed that the new router helps.

Posted by: Alexander Smith ()
Date: April 15, 2015 03:44PM

It's been happening with my connection now for the past few days. I thought it was only happening to me? Guess it's widespread to everywhere. Pages load extremely slow most of the time and some not at all. This is bullshit!

Posted by: moretocome ()
Date: April 15, 2015 10:51PM

Yes having trouble in Stafford County with Internet. Never had pages load so slow on verizon wifi, it sucks! This has been ongoing since yesterday 4/14/2015. Rebooting, nothing seems to work. Probably Verizon's problem.

Posted by: I hate Verizon ()
Date: April 16, 2015 12:17AM

$200/month for shit service. Thanks Verizon!!!!!

Posted by: Ffx Sta ()
Date: April 16, 2015 02:26AM

Here I'm thinking it's my IPad. Delete pics, apps. Reset router. Still the pages load so slowly. Then tonight after a couple days of this nonsense, it's back to normal. Swell, but WTH?

Posted by: kev ()
Date: April 16, 2015 10:07AM

Been having similar problems. Thought it was my specific device at first, but seeing it off and on with different devices. Can't really say its happened much in the last 24hrs.

Interesting thing is I saw a Fios truck driving around on tuesday, a guy would get out and inspect the green above ground boxes by the sidewalk, then move on. He looked at each on on our street. Not sure if its related, maybe they're having issues with the wiring.

Date: April 16, 2015 11:11AM

Ffx Sta Wrote:
> Here I'm thinking it's my IPad. Delete pics, apps.
> Reset router. Still the pages load so slowly. Then
> tonight after a couple days of this nonsense, it's
> back to normal. Swell, but WTH?

Yep...back to normal here (near intersection of Fairfax Station Road and 123) since late Wednesday. What really sucks IMO is that Verizon tech support did everything in its power to find a reason OTHER than their network infrastructure for the problem.

Saying that they needed to rule out WiFi issues at my house is total BS and you would think that it would be easy enough to say something like "yes, we are experiencing service issues in your area." I could actually live with that, especially if it was a temporary service disruption.

Posted by: "spirit meter" ()
Date: April 16, 2015 12:35PM

We have had pixelation with our service for about 5 months. We have had a dozen or so phone consultations and today we will have our 5th inspection by a tech. Verizon wont escalate the ticket and keep looking for the problem in our house. Each tech goes through the same diagnostics installs new router and new boxes and it hasnt solved the problem. We now have 3 new spare boxes and 3 spare new wireless routers but no joy on our service.

Today a tech will come for the 3rd day in a row - he is bringing the "spirit meter" no kidding. The spirit meter is somehow a new and special diagnostic tool. If they dont escalate it today we will cancel service. I hate cox but this is crazy.

Posted by: Voo Doo meter ()
Date: April 16, 2015 03:36PM

While back, remote wouldn't change channels,only thing it did was volume control. Then it would be fine. Then not.Called for new remote. They sent me 2. None of them corrected the problem. They ran a diagnostics. Everything looks fine. Well, it isn't. Send a tech out, plz. Tech comes out and he runs diagnostics. Everything comes up fine. He is standing there using the remote, looking at the tv and saying,clearly things are not fine. Through the process of elimination he is going to try and find the source. He changes out the box on the outside of our house and that solved the problem. YET, according to all their diagnostics it was okay. Uhhhh, no it wasn't.
Good luck with the spirit..

Posted by: Voo Doo meter ()
Date: April 16, 2015 03:48PM

"spirit meter" Wrote:
> We have had pixelation with our service for about
> 5 months.
>
> Today a tech will come for the 3rd day in a row -
> he is bringing the "spirit meter" no kidding. The
> spirit meter is somehow a new and special
> diagnostic tool. If they dont escalate it today
> we will cancel service. I hate cox but this is
> crazy.

When we use to have Cox we had the pixelation problem. They finally laid a new cable which fixed the problem.

Posted by: wv7U9 ()
Date: April 16, 2015 07:58PM

"spirit meter" Wrote:
> We have had pixelation with our service for about
> 5 months. We have had a dozen or so phone
> consultations and today we will have our 5th
> inspection by a tech. Verizon wont escalate the
> ticket and keep looking for the problem in our
> house. Each tech goes through the same
> diagnostics installs new router and new boxes and
> it hasnt solved the problem. We now have 3 new
> spare boxes and 3 spare new wireless routers but
> no joy on our service.
>
> Today a tech will come for the 3rd day in a row -
> he is bringing the "spirit meter" no kidding. The
> spirit meter is somehow a new and special
> diagnostic tool. If they dont escalate it today
> we will cancel service. I hate cox but this is
> crazy.

Tech came again today spent 3.5 hrs found problem with signal coming in but tier 2 supervisor would not return his call so it didnt get escalated. He has to come back tomorrow and do it all over again (has to have signal data in real time for supervisor to look at before escalation). We will have spent 4 half days off work at home to get someone to look at the Verizon signal instead of our home.

This sucks.

Posted by: rebooted the entire neighborhood ()
Date: April 18, 2015 09:55AM

Update: Verizon tech came Friday and finally the 'tier II" people took his call. They rebooted the entire neighborhood and 'changed some equipment' still have pixilation. Of course we got the end of the day text stating our problem was 'resolved.'

Will we ever get a clean signal from Verizon???

Posted by: Final Update Thanks Verizon. ()
Date: April 20, 2015 10:02AM

They finally fixed the issue - it took all of 5 hours after they escalated it to tier II. It was their equipment not ours. 3-4 months of service calls, resetting the box a dozen times and crappy service. Fixed in half a day. If they had looked at their end even once we could have saved days of our time away from work and sub par service.

Thanks Verizon.

Posted by: qwerty rulez ()
Date: April 20, 2015 01:01PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.