HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Car Tags
Posted by: WTF ()
Date: May 04, 2009 11:02AM

So I woke up this morning and found that somebody swiped my tags off of my car. Who the hell does this? Anyway, I need to go to the DMV to get some new ones, but I am worried. What is the punishment for driving with out your tags? If I actually find the person that did this what can I hold them on in terms of the law?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car Tags
Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: May 04, 2009 11:04AM

File a police report first with FCPD using their online system and print out a copy. Then call the DMV.

Covers all your bases.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: May 04, 2009 11:04AM

it wasnt me!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: May 04, 2009 11:14AM

ITRADE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> File a police report first with FCPD using their
> online system and print out a copy. Then call the
> DMV.
>
> Covers all your bases.

Agreed. The COPS will not give you a hard time, unless they are on DONUT withdrawal.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: Fireball ()
Date: May 04, 2009 11:33AM

AFTER you file the police report and contact DMV, if you need to drive the car to DMV make sure you have the registration with you.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: May 04, 2009 11:36AM

WTF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I woke up this morning and found that somebody
> swiped my tags off of my car. Who the hell does
> this? Anyway, I need to go to the DMV to get some
> new ones, but I am worried. What is the
> punishment for driving with out your tags? If I
> actually find the person that did this what can I
> hold them on in terms of the law?

BTW, to answer your other question, my thought would be either 1) kids with nothing better to do, or 2) criminals who use your stolen tags to facilitate other crimes - cars stolen off new car lots or used car lots are appended with a stolen set of tags to get the car out of state quickly,

Posted by: JayBee ()
Date: May 04, 2009 11:54AM

Also removing the license plate so they can remove the (numbered) tags (stickers) later, at their leisure.

Posted by: COPS ()
Date: May 04, 2009 01:17PM

try not to use the word "DONUTS" for your new plate ... to avoid any cofusion that may create in public.

Posted by: hioh ()
Date: May 09, 2009 12:30AM

Some one stole your plates to put on a stolen car - report your stolen plates to the police!

Posted by: Up2Late ()
Date: May 09, 2009 02:10AM

To answer the "what can I do if I find him?" question -- On the off chance that you're at a 7-11 and see your plates on some other guy's car, you can call the police and give a description.

Legally a citizen can make a "citizen’s arrest" for a felony committed in their presence. I believe theft of license plates falls under a misdemeanor, so even if the guy took them while you were watching them, you can't legally detain said individual anyway.
Odds are, someone stealing plates is doing it for a much larger reason and if you tried to stop them on your own, be prepared to get stabbed/shot/jumped/etc.

Just file a police report and get new tags.

Also, I'm not a lawyer and I'm not a police officer...this is just my interpretation of the laws governing arrest procedures…which I’ve only skimmed over (hey, never had to pass the bar)

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.