HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Mexican Problems?
Posted by: NAACP ()
Date: May 04, 2009 12:02AM

Has anyone else noticed the beaner problem in the strip mall next to the Public Library in Centreville. They are always running across the road. Sometimes I wonder if i've been teleported to San Diego.
Attachments:
border.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mexican Problems?
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: May 04, 2009 12:13AM

get over it..and move on

Posted by: TCF ()
Date: May 04, 2009 12:22AM

And you know they're Mexican because....?

Posted by: Dildo Joe ()
Date: May 04, 2009 12:45AM

TCF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And you know they're Mexican because....?

Have you never seen a mexican? And also...there were some border patrol agents running behind them.

Posted by: HooLeo ()
Date: May 04, 2009 12:54AM

Forget where they come from. They're all "Beaners".

Written by Nicole Theberge
Wednesday, 16 May 2007 19:00

After a 2006 spike in pedestrian deaths, Fairfax County has undertaken a massive effort to improve the county’s pedestrian-accessible infrastructure and instituted law enforcement campaigns in hopes the number of pedestrian related injuries and deaths will come down in 2007.

Last year Fairfax Country reported a total of 17 pedestrian fatalities, up from 10 in 2005. Reasons for the spike are not entirely known, according to Fairfax County Pedestrian Program Manager Chris Wells, but suspicions focus mainly on increasing numbers of immigrants without personal automobiles who are dependent on public transportation and walking as their main modes of transportation.

According to the Final Report of the Fairfax County Pedestrian Task Force issued in June of last year, the Board of Supervisors has been focusing on the issue of expanding pedestrian traffic since about 2001. The report states that while increased pedestrian traffic is “highly desirable,” the county had not foreseen this eventuality and had planned more carefully for increased automobile and truck traffic rather than foot and bicycle traffic. The mingling of the two has at times yielded fatal results.

Following the recommendations of the task force laid out in the report, the county has approved a sweeping 10-year, $60 million “pedestrian improvement plan” that will encompass the entire county. The plan includes sidewalk improvements, pedestrian bridges, bus stop upgrades, additional signage and lighting at crosswalks and public education on the subject of pedestrian safety.

One area of particular local concern is the Route 50 and Patrick Henry Drive intersection near Seven Corners which, according to a Fairfax County press release, is responsible for 25 percent of the pedestrian fatalities in the county and over half of the pedestrian crashes in the Mason District area. So far in 2007, the stretch has been the site of three fatal accidents.

The six-lane Route 50 (also known as Arlington Boulevard) is lined on both sides by retail developments, including the Seven Corners Shopping Center and the Wilston Shopping Plaza, and dense residential properties. Rather than utilize the crosswalk near Patrick Henry, pedestrians often take a more direct path, braving the wide span of roadway where vehicles often exceed the posted speed limit of 45 miles per hour. While researching the story, News-Press reporters witnessed upwards of 10 pedestrians crossing the strip over roughly a two-hour span. Those that are crossing the street have sometimes included mothers with strollers and small children.

Those that spoke with the News-Press sited the “inconvenience” of marked crosswalk at Patrick Henry as one of the primary motivators for their more direct dash across traffic.

“I do this all the time,” said Maurio Gomez through a translator. Gomez, a resident of the Seven Corners area, was observed crossing Arlington Boulevard near Seven Corners illegally. Many residents hold this same mentality, owing to the fact that utilizing the crosswalk could add some 400 yards to a route across Route 50 from one shopping plaza to another.

According to Mason District Supervisor Penny Gross, this intersection has been a concern since 1987, but only in the last two years have plans gotten underway to make the necessary improvements. Chief among the improvements to the corridor will be a $5 million pedestrian bridge, stretching from the Seven Corners Shopping Center to the Wilston Shopping Center across Route 50. The bridge will be combined with a length of fencing along Route 50 to discourage illegal, mid-block crossings.

Negotiations with business and land owners near the site, though somewhat drawn out due to easement issues with the county, have also produced plans for a future transit center to replace the bus shelters currently in place. In the end, after 20 years of delays and legal wrangling, Gross said “it’s finally going to get done.”

“We hope that [the bridge] will reduce pedestrian and auto interactions by up to 75 percent in the area,” she added.

The bridge and related projects are scheduled to break ground in November of this year.

While the many improvements are going on, Fairfax County is also attempting to address the changing demographics in the area — most notably the prevalence of non-English speakers. Some employees at businesses near the Route 50-Patrick Henry intersection believe there is a direct correlation between recent immigration trends and the increase in pedestrian accidents.

“We know who we’re talking about here,” said Doug, an employee at the Seven Corners Shopping Center Starbucks, who would not give his last name. “We need to work on people getting educated in their own language.”

A 2005 study by Inova Health Systems found that a disproportionate number of victims of pedestrian related accidents and fatalities were of Hispanic ethnicity, immigrants and often poor. These inhabitants tend to live centered around commercial developments for convenience sake, but the probability of a harmful or fatal incident is much higher in some of these areas, like the Route 50 and Patrick Henry Drive intersection.

To combat this, the Fairfax County Police Department has patrolled problem areas and handed out citations and educational literature (in English, Spanish and Arabic) to motorists and pedestrians regarding laws and regulations. However, there has not been a campaign at Arlington Blvd. and Patrick Henry since October of 2006 despite the high number of incidents.

The National Capital Region as a whole has also taken note of the importance of improving pedestrian safety, and plans to spend over $530 million through the NCR Transportation Planning Board in upcoming years to add sidewalks and bike lanes, and to make infrastructure accessible to the handicapped.

However, for all the effort, alterations and education, neither the government nor the police can control a person’s will.

“When you work all day, you only have a couple of hours to run errands. People want to get to the shops and stores along that corridor, and they tend to not want to walk an extra 100 yards to a crosswalk,” says Fairfax County Pedestrian Program Manager Chris Wells. “If a person is determined to cross, they will still be able to. But the changes and modernizations will certainly help.”

< Prev Next >

Posted by: natural selection at work ()
Date: May 04, 2009 07:38AM

“When you work all day, you only have a couple of hours to run errands. People want to get to the shops and stores along that corridor, and they tend to not want to walk an extra 100 yards to a crosswalk,” says Fairfax County Pedestrian Program Manager Chris Wells. “If a person is determined to cross, they will still be able to. But the changes and modernizations will certainly help.”

Interesting, if you ever saw a pedestrian pancaked, you would definetly walk the extra 100 yards..., For 60 million dollars, it would be cheaper to park a cop there and write jaywalking tickets for the next 50 years to those who cannot get with the program. Ever wonder why the country is running out of money?

Posted by: HooLeo ()
Date: May 04, 2009 08:03AM

natural selection at work Wrote:
> “When you work all day, you only have a couple of
> hours to run errands. People want to get to the
> shops and stores along that corridor, and they
> tend to not want to walk an extra 100 yards to a
> crosswalk,” says Fairfax County Pedestrian Program
> Manager Chris Wells. “If a person is determined to
> cross, they will still be able to. But the changes
> and modernizations will certainly help.”
>
>
> Interesting, if you ever saw a pedestrian
> pancaked, you would definetly walk the extra 100
> yards..., For 60 million dollars, it would be
> cheaper to park a cop there and write jaywalking
> tickets for the next 50 years to those who cannot
> get with the program. Ever wonder why the country
> is running out of money?

Notice this "Final Report of the Fairfax County Pedestrian Task Force" is only
the "official" version and I'm sure it's been well sanitized so as not to
offend anyone's tender feelings. It's not just about a 100 yard inconvenience.
Arlington has the same problem and I once watched a woman do a dash across
Columbia Pike in the middle of rush hour carrying an infant in her arms.
Tires screeched and horns blew and someone missed her by about six inches.
She continued running and looked unconcerned. The crosswalk was less than
30 feet away but she just too lazy and stupid to use it. Every day, I'd see
something different. The County passed out fliers in Spanish and put notices
in local Spanish language newspapers, but they still don't listen.

Posted by: DirtMcGirt ()
Date: May 04, 2009 10:47AM

I cross the Rt. 50 \ Patrick Henry cross section every day and on several occasions over 3yrs have almost taken out generations of people. You can honk, curse at them, whatever... they don't give a shit. FC is building some sort of fenced in area that's been going on for years but they haven't finished it yet. However, these people will go out of their way it seems to disobey walking across the street. I don't get it.

Posted by: Love that sign ()
Date: May 04, 2009 11:11AM

Man I miss Pendleton and the Mexi-check!!!

Posted by: wuht ()
Date: May 04, 2009 11:45AM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> get over it..and move on

yeah but if he had said homos were at the library you wouldn't have said that, as you like to refer to homosexuals as "fags" often in your posts here you homophobe

Posted by: sun o beaches ()
Date: May 04, 2009 04:55PM

Date: May 04, 2009 12:22AM

I know they are mexicans because I ran over one once and he kept saying "sunny beaches sunny beaches"

Date: May 04, 2009 05:11PM

Oh Right! Of course they are Mexican. They don't have sunny beaches in El Salvador, Bolivia, Columbia, Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Panama, Peru, Ecuador....

Date: May 04, 2009 05:15PM

wuht Wrote:
> Vince(1) Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > get over it..and move on
>
>
> yeah but if he had said homos were at the library
> you wouldn't have said that, as you like to refer
> to homosexuals as "fags" often in your posts here
> you homophob

not often...and if I did I was wrong to

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: May 04, 2009 05:20PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> wuht Wrote:
> -----
> > Vince(1) Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > get over it..and move on
> >
> >
> > yeah but if he had said homos were at the
> library
> > you wouldn't have said that, as you like to
> refer
> > to homosexuals as "fags" often in your posts
> here
> > you homophob
>
> not often...and if I did I was wrong to

But you still hate Jews, right? What if Jews were at the library?

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: Herman ()
Date: May 04, 2009 05:47PM

"Have you never seen a mexican? And also...there were some border patrol agents running behind them."

ROFL

Posted by: graymoose1 ()
Date: May 04, 2009 06:52PM

Posted by: Herman ()
Date: May 04, 2009 05:47PM

"Have you never seen a mexican? And also...there were some border patrol agents running behind them."

ROFL

+1

Date: May 04, 2009 08:30PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> Vince(1) Wrote:
> -----
> > wuht Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Vince(1) Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > get over it..and move on
> > >
> > >
> > > yeah but if he had said homos were at the
> > library
> > > you wouldn't have said that, as you like to
> > refer
> > > to homosexuals as "fags" often in your posts
> > here
> > > you homophob
> >
> > not often...and if I did I was wrong to
>
> But you still hate Jews, right? What if Jews were
> at the library?

I do not hate Jews..I am ambivolent on the state of Israel. I dislike the Catholic Church..Im ok with most cathlics, they ignore most of what their church says anyway....I dislike the English, they are the role models for the modern failed empire which we are following to the tee.

Posted by: Furfur ()
Date: May 04, 2009 08:48PM

Vince(1) said in April:

"Isarel..a nation founded by terrorirsts and based on racial aparteid."

This is Vince(1) today:

"I am ambivolent on the state of Israel."
Attachments:
phpI4Mfze

Posted by: Billy Bowlegs ()
Date: May 04, 2009 09:12PM

Forget where they come from. They're all "Beaners".

+1!

Posted by: fwerq ()
Date: May 04, 2009 10:32PM

I do not hate Jews..I am ambivolent on the state of Israel. I dislike the Islam..Im ok with most muslims because, they ignore most of what Islam says anyway....I dislike the Enlish, and they not the role models for the modern failed empire which we are now following to the tee

Posted by: El Pedstrian ()
Date: May 04, 2009 10:49PM

you can't always wait on the "do no walk sign" to cross the streetz. people gotta work chu kno.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: May 05, 2009 12:36AM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> I do not hate Jews..I am ambivolent on the state
> of Israel

seriously vince, you have got to be the biggest lying douchebag on this site to date.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: May 05, 2009 10:54AM

It's not exactly cultural oppression or discrimination to ask Hispanics to cross at regular crosswalks.

If there's half-mile stretches or Rt. 50-class roads without traffic lights/crosswalks, you can set up pedestrian-activated crosswalks every so often, or maybe even build pedestrian bridges.

While Hispanics jaywalk like mad, I've seen mostly Whites doing these:

* jog in the road, swinging out along parked cars, when there is a freaking sidewalk.
* bicycle at 15 miles an hour on a 35 mph road

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: May 05, 2009 03:08PM

\

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2012 05:36PM by Alias.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: May 05, 2009 03:32PM

Alias Wrote:
> In your brave new world, would there only be
> radical Muslims, illegal immigrants and you?

It would be illegal immigrant radical Muslims. But they would renounce their violent ways and never use guns again. Also, every female would get one free abortion.

Ha ha, who am I kidding? Women would get as many free abortions as they want, because Vince's government would own the health care system, the abortion clinics, and the factory that makes fetus vacuums.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: May 05, 2009 03:54PM

b

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2015 09:59PM by WingNut.

Posted by: Breakin it down. ()
Date: May 05, 2009 03:58PM

Mexicans smell....thats why they have problems. All the food they eat is to spicy and makes my asshole burn. Or is that indian food? They smell as well.

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: May 05, 2009 07:32PM

]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2012 05:33PM by Alias.

Posted by: Hit imm ()
Date: May 05, 2009 07:37PM

If you just floored it and made one of them a hood ornament, the pedestrian-problem would be down by 1 more illegal. Double points for women/children.

Posted by: 76Hicks ()
Date: May 05, 2009 11:05PM

"While Hispanics jaywalk like mad, I've seen mostly Whites doing these:

* jog in the road, swinging out along parked cars, when there is a freaking sidewalk.
* bicycle at 15 miles an hour on a 35 mph road"

It should actually read:

"While Hispanics generally make filthy cesspools out of their own countires, then leave to become useless parasites in foreign countries, I've seen mostly Whites doing these:

* landing on the moon
* splitting the atom
* discovering penicillin
* building bridges,tunnels,skyscrapers, airplanes, computers, ships,rocket engines,and space stations
* discovering electromanetism

To scarcely skim the surface, that is

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: May 06, 2009 10:50AM

Gonna have to agree with 76Hicks, whitey does do those things a lot 'round here.

Posted by: Terty ()
Date: May 06, 2009 02:08PM

I'll sign on, but only because I have to...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.