HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
If you haven't filed federal and state income taxes for the past three years, what should you do?
Posted by: TurboTax ()
Date: March 26, 2015 10:55PM

Let's say you were a young college student who worked for tips while in school and didn't file the past three years?

What should you do this year?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If you haven't filed federal and state income taxes for the past three years, what should you do?
Posted by: Ben Carson ()
Date: March 26, 2015 11:13PM

Claim you were employed by Al Sharpton.

Re: If you haven't filed federal and state income taxes for the past three years, what should you do?
Date: March 26, 2015 11:19PM

Ben Carson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Claim you were employed by Al Sharpton.

Haha very funny. I would really appreciate any advice in this thread. I have a friend who is in this situation and she really needs help.

Posted by: I'm no expert ()
Date: March 26, 2015 11:28PM

Go ahead and file this years taxes than have her go to hr block or something. Do you think she owes money? If not it doesn't really matter.

Date: March 26, 2015 11:33PM

I'm no expert Wrote:
> Go ahead and file this years taxes than have her
> go to hr block or something. Do you think she owes
> money? If not it doesn't really matter.

Yes, she thinks she owes some money from each of those years. Her income was probably less than 20K each year.

Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan ()
Date: March 27, 2015 12:05AM

So only a part-time stripper, then?

I would say if no W-2 was issued, forget it but start filing now, but if a W-2 was issued, get copies from former employers and get caught up.

But don't listen to me. Definitely file this year's return, even if there's no tax liability.

Posted by: I agree ()
Date: March 27, 2015 07:55AM

Mike O'Meara Show Fan Wrote:
> So only a part-time stripper, then?
>
> I would say if no W-2 was issued, forget it but
> start filing now, but if a W-2 was issued, get
> copies from former employers and get caught up.
>
> But don't listen to me. Definitely file this
> year's return, even if there's no tax liability.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Posted by: Fuck the IRS ()
Date: March 27, 2015 08:20AM

Income tax is a liberal tool to prevent Americans from doing better. If you think you owe and only made 20k fuck them. I wouldn't file shit unless I had a refund coming.

Posted by: Deadly combo ()
Date: March 27, 2015 08:57AM

I agree Wrote:
> Mike O'Meara Show Fan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So only a part-time stripper, then?
> >
> > I would say if no W-2 was issued, forget it but
> > start filing now, but if a W-2 was issued, get
> > copies from former employers and get caught up.
> >
> > But don't listen to me. Definitely file this
> > year's return, even if there's no tax
> liability.
>
>
>
> Sounds like a plan to me.

Based on this link for 2014 (minimum amount required to file), she likely was required to file in the past. Definitely get caught up.

http://www.efile.com/tax/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return/

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: March 27, 2015 09:04AM

TurboTax Wrote:
> Let's say you were a young college student who
> worked for tips while in school and didn't file
> the past three years?
>
> What should you do this year?

Pretend to be black or hispanic, you'll get out of it. If you don't, claim racism.

Date: March 27, 2015 04:28PM

Thanks for the legitimate response, and to the trolls you're entertaining so thanks for that too. So how does someone go about filing taxes for previous years? Do you need a tax professional? Lawyer? Will you end up paying interest?

Anyone with any knowledge please post it here.

Posted by: Get TAX Help ()
Date: March 27, 2015 04:35PM

Go to an accountant or tax professional and ask them. They will most likely file the 1st year missed and then work their way up to filling for this past year (2014).
They will have forms for you or can print out past years forms from the IRS webstie .. they should be able to do this for you as well.

All you have to do, is answer questions about income, they can explain or fill in the blanks for you, sign it, send it .. either pay or be paid by the IRS .. you must fill out the paperwork (EZ-40 or other forms) to find out whether or not you will have to pay them a check or whether you are owed money from the IRS.

If your friend worked for cash only .. then she will be paying a percentage of that.
BOTTOM LINE: Go to Liberty Tax, H and R block, jackson Hewitt or another tax prep. service .. call make an appt. and ask THEM questions you are asking in here.
It's easy .. they will help,

dont need a lawyer. .. just call one of the above places.

Posted by: WorryNOT ()
Date: March 27, 2015 04:37PM

If you're worried about arrested -DON'T worry.
You are not breaking the law .. but you have to file a tax return for every year.
The IRS only arrests tax evaders with BIG money .. they just harass and make life hell for those filing late or mult - year returns .. kind of like a pain in the ass ... but their all Bark no bite.

Posted by: NONONONONONONO ()
Date: March 27, 2015 04:40PM

I'm no expert Wrote:
> Go ahead and file this years taxes than have her
> go to hr block or something. Do you think she owes
> money? If not it doesn't really matter.

OK #1 Never go to H&R Block. EVERYONE I know who was audited, and that is like over 100 people, they ALL went to H&R block the year they were audited. Like H&R gets paid to get you an audit.

#2 if she was just working for cash under the table, while illegal I would say don't claim it and start filing now. Just say you didn't work if anyone asks for past info.

VA likes to threaten to make you pay from past years, even when you filed in another state, or when you move away. All you do is tell them to fuck off, and they do... well maybe tell them in a different use of words.

IF you file back taxes or amendments, your gonna have a bad time.

My former business partner realized she was underpaid, and she ended up getting her home sold to pay her "back taxes" from the fines she received for amending her taxes when she paid too much!

So, While illegal, I would say pay from now on, tell VA when they ask why you didn't pay last year, that you didn't live in the state that you were a student, and if they audit you claim stupidity, and say you didn't have a job.

99% chance that if she is not filing a business loss, and she stays away from H&R block, nobody will every know.

Posted by: DeathandTaxes ()
Date: March 27, 2015 04:45PM

After plugging in the numbers into the blanks on the form, following the formula ... you may pay interest if you owe for that year, but you won't know if you owe or get money back until you fill out the paperwork, do the math etc.
REMEMBER: "There are 2 sure things in life: Death and Taxes" or more formally

"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes." - Benjamin Franklin

Interest for 3 years ain't that big a deal anyway .. plus the IRS let's you have a payment plan too, if you need one

But don't take their ESTIMATIONS or go by them .. Fill out the paperwork with a professional pay the professional .. then send it in ..

I know someone who simply paid the ESTIMATE that the IRS said he owed them.

After doing that .. his account friend took his information and found out that the IRS should have in fact paid him money! (gotten a return).

So they had to go through a bunch of red tape to figure it out.

JUST talk with a tax preparer .. they will answer all your questions.

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: March 27, 2015 06:37PM

TurboTax Wrote:
> the past three years?
>

Go ahead and file this year and wait. If the IRS does not coming sniffing around for four years then you are clear.

Date: March 27, 2015 06:55PM

I am going to have her file this year.

Why are some saying don't use H&R Block? Is it true they will cause you to have an audit?

If you don't file and wait for the IRS, won't there be stiffer penalties and/or criminal charges? Is there really a chance they will forget?

Posted by: rusky ()
Date: March 27, 2015 07:06PM

That is good, file this year.

HR Block sucks, just a bunch of temps who don't know shit. Get a real CPA to do your taxes if you're really worried.

Yes, you can get penalized more, but if she was only getting cash and small amounts she is likely fine. It's not that they will forget, it's just that they don't know, assuming her past employers did not have her SSN and report her income.

How exactly did she get paid? All cash? Did she give her employer a SSN?

Date: March 27, 2015 08:34PM

rusky Wrote:
> That is good, file this year.
>
> HR Block sucks, just a bunch of temps who don't
> know shit. Get a real CPA to do your taxes if
> you're really worried.
>
>
> Yes, you can get penalized more, but if she was
> only getting cash and small amounts she is likely
> fine. It's not that they will forget, it's just
> that they don't know, assuming her past employers
> did not have her SSN and report her income.
>
> How exactly did she get paid? All cash? Did she
> give her employer a SSN?

Enployers had SSN, she got paid cash cleaning tables. She has W2s that have all of her income reported, which is around ~20K each year.

Posted by: U R Screwed ()
Date: March 27, 2015 08:45PM

Enployers had SSN, she got paid cash cleaning tables. She has W2s that have all of her income reported, which is around ~20K each year.

So her income was reported to the IRS. Oh dear. You need to do some tax returns...........

Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan ()
Date: March 27, 2015 09:22PM

20 K a year for ''cleaning tables'' ? You do know that makes no sense at all, right?

Sounds more like a part time stripper. Were her tips reported? And I said tips, not tits.

Have you seen the W2s? Do you even know her real name?

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: March 27, 2015 09:37PM

OK, this is over 20 years ago, but this woman I know (my wife) had not filed for several years. The year we got married I figured it was time to fix that. Went to a REAL accountant, who filed all the years. Some penalties, but no real fallout. And she'd made a hell of a lot more than $20K (then, never mind in today's dollars).

So I'd suggest calling several real accountants and asking what the best approach is. The bad news is, this is their busy season, so they're not going be in the mood to chat. Maybe file an extension for this year, then after May 1 talk to an accountant?

Posted by: rusky ()
Date: March 27, 2015 10:03PM

TurboTax Wrote:
> rusky Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> Enployers had SSN, she got paid cash cleaning
> tables. She has W2s that have all of her income
> reported, which is around ~20K each year.

In that case you have to file, it's time to find a CPA and file your taxes.

Posted by: hwHtP ()
Date: March 27, 2015 11:20PM

wait till obama is out of office

wait until you hear news that IRS employees are being put in jail and there is a change in guard

then pay your taxes

DO NOT GIVE A FACIST TRAITOR A DIME FOR ANY REASON. THEY WILL BUY BULLETS AND POINT THEM AT YOUR HEAD. they'll call it "a legal process"

Posted by: J4XvW ()
Date: March 28, 2015 02:13AM

GO BIG OR GO HOME YOU DOUCHE/

Posted by: !!!!! ()
Date: March 28, 2015 06:33AM

Cleaning tables YEAH RIGHT

Just say stripper, or don't mention it lol

Posted by: George S. Boutwell ()
Date: March 28, 2015 10:17AM

TurboTax Wrote:
> the past three years?
>

So why don't you tell this "young college student" to put her education to a more productive use than as an excuse to binge drink on the weekends. The Internet is a marvelous thing indeed. In just 20 seconds of formulating a query, typing it into my browser's search field, clicking search, scanning the resulting list of results, I arrived here:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals

It's got answers to your questions, links to tax forms dating back to the 1930s, etc.

So, tell your "friend" to stop being a SOL passing, parents' basement dwelling, underemployed, "just tell me the answer so I can regurgitate it back and make us both look good" millenial. Show some initiative and stop expecting other people to solve "her" problems.

Posted by: works both ways ()
Date: March 28, 2015 10:50AM

If she waited tables, she can deduct the cost of a psych or soc major. If she merely prepared subs, then no.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.