HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Verizon Phone Problems
Posted by: Prone to Violence ()
Date: March 24, 2015 10:55PM

I've been trying for 2 days to get my landline phone service back, but technicians are "all backed up" in the Burke-Springfield area.

Lost a day's work today waiting for the service call which just pushed into tomorrow. The bastards.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Verizon Phone Problems
Posted by: doodle do ()
Date: March 25, 2015 04:52PM

Same problem in Burke. Technician finally arrived today (Wednesday). Found no problem with Verizon connection but determined that my Cordless phone main base died. Said I need new phone. He plugged in one of my old landline corded phones and it works.

Prone to Violence: What was determined to be your problem?

Posted by: Copper ()
Date: March 25, 2015 05:50PM

Your copper landline is not a priority to them. Couple of years ago took 2 weeks to come fix landline. Their focus is FIOS as told to me by the repairman. Switched over to FIOS when it came to our development. Needed repairman to come out to fix FIOS box on house. Showed up within days, not weeks. He was from Richmond. Verizon brings them to our area to work for so many days, puts them up in hotels then they go back home for so many days. They have lots of FIOS work up here to be done. If they could cut your copper they would...

Posted by: CopperII ()
Date: March 26, 2015 08:54AM

I also have resisted the fiber conversion. I did not want a battery in my basement that I needed to maintain. But now my copper services is a bit spotty. It works than it doesn't; back and forth. There is nothing they are able to do with it. I guess they figure that it will eventually come back on.

It would be nice to dump Verizon, but I need a landline (not VOIP).

Date: March 26, 2015 08:54AM

I also have resisted the fiber conversion. I did not want a battery in my basement that I needed to maintain. But now my copper services is a bit spotty. It works than it doesn't; back and forth. There is nothing they are able to do with it. I guess they figure that it will eventually come back on.

It would be nice to dump Verizon, but I need a landline (not VOIP).

Posted by: XtM37 ()
Date: March 26, 2015 09:18AM

Love Verizon service when it works and for me it has been rock solid for almost 10 years.

But copper or FIOS, due to Union and Verizon Corp issue, it takes 1-2 weeks for repairs these days. This is really, really sad.

I do home networking and telco work anyway, so if it is inside problem, I have phone and cable test equipment, same analog and FIOS testers Verizon uses as well.

I also have a collection of FIOS routers and power supplies that I have picked up over the years, so unless there is a problem with the FIOS ONT I have parts on hand.

I have found a disturbing trend these days, everyone had cordless phone. Nobody has hardwired phones anymore. I have 3 hardwired phones in my house along with 2 separate cordless phone systems. Both of my cordless phone base units will continue to function on a power outage as well.

Nothing beats an old Bell Systems bullet proof phone, I love these things and when ever I can find one, I grab it.

Again, not sure why Verizon is SO SLOW to respond to outage problems. My mom had a few problems with her phone, Verizon was moving a pole and major splicing was going on a few blocks away. Verizon screwed up and cross her number with a little used business line. Not her fault, nothing at her house. I finally figured this out when I could not reach her and had a neighbor tell her to call me, Caller ID indicate it was not the phone number she has had for almost 65 years! Stupid Verizon took over 2 weeks to solve the problem THEY created.

So PRAY your Verizon service does not need repair. It can, but should not, take WEEEKS!

Posted by: BEEN ABLE WITH CABLE ()
Date: March 26, 2015 09:46AM

Who the hell has a landline anymore?!?!?!?! I called Verizon and had them disconnect it. Why pay for two phones, landline and cell?

Have always had COX. Never had any problems with them.

Posted by: TelcoTech ()
Date: March 26, 2015 10:34AM

There's a thread somewhere here on FFXU about Verizon's forced evolution to the FIOS network. At one point, they were not repairing copper, if your drop needed repair, they would install an ONT instead and force you to go digital on your voice line.

I'm with CopperII, fuck your VOIP shit, POTS works all the time, every time.

At least it did, until the derecho two years ago where the power outages were so widespread that the lightspan's ran out of battery power after two days. Copper isn't as bulletproof as it used to be.

I'm now stuck with a digital phone, and TBH the CODEC is good enough that fax and modem work fine.

Date: March 26, 2015 05:23PM

Yes but copper isn't cheap either.

Posted by: Fuck Verizon ()
Date: March 26, 2015 05:45PM

BEEN ABLE WITH CABLE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who the hell has a landline anymore?!?!?!?! I
> called Verizon and had them disconnect it. Why
> pay for two phones, landline and cell?
>
> Have always had COX. Never had any problems with
> them.

Verizon has crazy rules about landlines. I called and told them I wanted to get rid of the landline but keep the Internet DSL. They said you cant do that. I asked why and the guy did not have an answer.

Posted by: Copperhead ()
Date: March 27, 2015 03:16PM

Do the old "bullet proof" dial and touch tone phones from the 1970's work on fios digital? I like to use the old phones too.

Posted by: NWGTP ()
Date: March 27, 2015 07:09PM

Copper Wrote:
> Your copper landline is not a priority to them.
> Couple of years ago took 2 weeks to come fix
> landline. Their focus is FIOS as told to me by the
> repairman. Switched over to FIOS when it came to
> our development. Needed repairman to come out to
> fix FIOS box on house. Showed up within days, not
> weeks. He was from Richmond. Verizon brings them
> to our area to work for so many days, puts them up
> in hotels then they go back home for so many days.
> They have lots of FIOS work up here to be done. If
> they could cut your copper they would...

they do satellite, fiber too, as well as what else

--------------------------------
there a rumor COX had their hired niggers and foreigners cut Verizon wires here in fairfax not long ago

WTOP, the communist radio transmission station, advertised it was verizon employees attacking their own lines

--------------------------
me. i would testify that, if an illegal worker attacked infrastructure - that constitutes treason - a militant attack inside a country one is not a member of

Posted by: HHM6K ()
Date: March 27, 2015 07:11PM

if i mc'carthyism remember, during a war, and there are many ongoign wars and financial attacks on usa ...

a foreign militan caught inside another country attacking infrastructure is ...

IMMEDIATELY SHOT and left to die

Posted by: TelcoTech ()
Date: March 27, 2015 07:34PM

trea·son
noun: the crime of betraying one's OWN country, especially by attempting to kill the sovereign or overthrow the government.

DSL is a whole different animal. You need a working phone line so they can put it on top of your dial tone. Then you have to make sure you put all those filters on all the other jacks in your house.To do anything different breaks the system and none of the idiots in the order center can figure it out.

NWGTP, you're probably remembering one of the rounds of contract negotiations with the union. There are a few miscreants who feel necessary to remind corporate just how necessary they are. Corporate sticks managers in trucks and tells them to go repair the lines and makes them think they're doing great things... Until the next round of layoffs.

I think we can all agree than Verizon doesn't give two shits about the union, it's managers, the consumer, or even expanding technology. It's all about the almighty dollar!

Posted by: Ying Ko ()
Date: March 27, 2015 08:52PM

I keep getting callers who say they saw what I did last summer.

Posted by: dime dropper ()
Date: March 28, 2015 02:25PM

I had Verizon put this phone on a pole outside my house. It is a pay as you go plan and I never get a bill. As a bonus it has a shelf where I can place my 22oz beers in a paper sack.
Attachments:
verizon-payphone.jpg

Posted by: Calling card ()
Date: March 28, 2015 03:58PM

Speaking of pay phones..are there any still left in this area? Where?

Posted by: pU7K9 ()
Date: March 28, 2015 08:58PM

Verizon's VoIP terminates at the ONT (the box on the wall outside your house) to regular PoTS lines. All your old equipment should work fine (including pulse dialing but I haven't tried that).

Posted by: Ma Bell ()
Date: March 28, 2015 09:02PM

Calling card Wrote:
> Speaking of pay phones..are there any still left
> in this area? Where?

There was one at the Sunoco station at the int of Stone Road and Rt 29 in Centreville last summer.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.