HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Suicide is no joke
Posted by: PTSD ()
Date: March 17, 2015 10:56PM

Our community has a HUGE suicide problem. Kids, teens and adults alike our taking their own lives everyday. Hopeless and helplessness runs rampant. People kill themselves over being bullied, cyber bullied, abused, isolated and many other issues that we may never know. This website is a prime example of how awful the people in this area truly are and the lack of reguard for human life that many here have. One day, you too will pass on - will people rejoice in your death? Will anyone care that you have died? Will anyone have anything good to say sboit you at your funeral? Will anyone show up besides your family?

A recent study showed that roughly 22 U.S. veterans commit suicide every day — about one every 65 minutes. Photographer Devin Mitchell shared his photo series on the subject exclusively with BuzzFeed News.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emaoconnor/this-is-what-a-veteran-looks-like?bffb&utm_term=4ldqpho#4ldqpho
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suicide is no joke
Date: March 17, 2015 10:58PM

are taking* not "our"

Posted by: prius liberal gal ()
Date: March 17, 2015 11:00PM

Ban guns and the suicide rate will drop, just look at Japan. Gun free Japan.

Date: March 17, 2015 11:02PM

Haha. You're a funny one. Japan has the highest suicide rate in the entire world.

Date: March 17, 2015 11:03PM

One of the highest*

Posted by: ffxu mom ()
Date: March 17, 2015 11:11PM

I would kill myself too if my bathroom was that ugly.

Now this bathroom just makes me want to live

hdivd1413_attic-master-suite-after_s4x3.

My bathroom is all granite, with GROHE fixtures. #satyinalive

Date: March 17, 2015 11:14PM

I'm sorry you're so miserable that you think this is a joke. Your parents must be proud of the false life you portray and the lies you tell yourself and others. I know you've struggled with depression and suicidal thoughts as well. There is help out there though.

Posted by: Next Up ()
Date: March 17, 2015 11:14PM

Of the three examples shown, which is the most recommended method of holding the firearm?

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: March 17, 2015 11:15PM

jesus how much taxpayer assistance do soldiers need? GI bill, healthcare, jobs, plus PTSD therapy? how about a solider thanks us once in a while

Date: March 17, 2015 11:17PM

They thank you with their lives and your continued freddom, the ones who do survice war thank you with their mental health.

Posted by: what uppp ()

taxpayer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jesus how much taxpayer assistance do soldiers
> need? GI bill, healthcare, jobs, plus PTSD
> therapy? how about a solider thanks us once in a
> while

Lets face it, most of them are slightly retarded considering they had to join the military to make something of their life.

Freedom*

Date: March 17, 2015 11:19PM

Thank you all for proving my point. Again, I'm sorry about your life and whatever it was that has happened to you that you find it okay to make a mockery of death and suicide. Even more so that you think so low of our troops.

Posted by: Stats without context are BS ()
Date: March 17, 2015 11:32PM

The statistic that there are 22 veteran suicides each day — or, more than 8,000 when multiplied by the number of days in a year — is a widely cited figure in reference to veteran suicides. It’s been used by Democratic and Republican lawmakers in both chambers, the VA, veteran groups and media outlets (including, in full disclosure, the author of this fact check).

Where does this figure come from, and what does it tell us about suicides among veterans? It is important to remember that suicide is already the tenth leading cause of death among Americans, so the question is whether the rate among veterans is significantly higher.

The Facts

This statistic comes from the VA’s 2012 Suicide Data Report, which analyzed death certificates from 21 states, from 1999 to 2011. The report calculated a percentage of suicides identified with veterans out of all suicides in death certificates from the 21 states during the project period, which turned out to be 22 percent. (By point of reference, about 13 percent of U.S. adults are veterans, according to a 2012 Gallup poll.) Then the report applied that percentage against the number of suicides in the U.S. in a given year (approximately 38,000). Divided by number of days in a year, the report came up with 22 veteran suicides a day.

Researchers said they had reached a point of statistical significance because there was enough variety in the states studied (by region, population, veteran population, gun ownership, etc.) and the percentage of veteran suicides remained consistent. However, they acknowledged “significant limitations” in their available data, including people incorrectly identified as veterans in death certificates.

They cautioned against the use of the 22-deaths figure more than once in the study: “It is recommended that the estimated number of veterans be interpreted with caution due to the use of data from a sample of states and existing evidence of uncertainty in veteran identifiers on U.S. death certificates.”

To account for uncertainties, researchers gave a range of 18 to 22 veteran suicides a day, which is consistent with previous VA estimates using CDC data. The report does not include some states with the largest veteran population (including California, Texas, Georgia, Arizona and North Carolina), so it is unclear how this would affect the rate.

This was the first time the VA used death certificates from states to study the veteran population beyond those who receive services through the Veterans Health Administration. An updated report with data from at least 44 states is scheduled to be published this summer. (The VA is also working with the Defense Department and CDC for a study of 40 million veterans’ mortality records.) There is little reliable data on veteran suicides, so it makes sense that this figure is widely cited. However, it does not provide much context about veteran suicides.

While the figure is often cited in connection with recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (it also was used by Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, the group that pushed for the Clay Hunt act), the study was more telling of suicides among older veterans. The average age of male veteran suicides was 59.6 years old — older than non-veteran male suicides. (The Gallup poll shows the percentage of veterans climbs dramatically as the population gets older, making up a majority of those older than 65.) “It is therefore possible that epidemiologic characteristic of suicide in the general population (i.e. higher rates of suicide among older adult males) may contribute to a comparatively high prevalence of Veterans among those who die from suicide,” the VA report noted.

In addition, the 22-a-day figure does not take into consideration the spike in suicides among veterans between 18 and 24 years old, which was published in a January 2014 update.

Robert Bossarte, director of the VA Office of Public Health’s epidemiology program who co-authored the report, said he is concerned the focus on the 22-a-day number is taking away from other findings that can help shape public policy.

“It’s not that I oppose the number 22 but it’s frequently not contextualized. So we focus on that number rather than what’s really happening within that number,” Bossarte said.

For example: Demographics of veterans who died from suicide were the same regardless of whether or not they received care through the Veterans Health Administration. More people were calling to the Veterans Crisis Line, the majority of them 50-59 years old. There are consistently higher rates of male and female veteran suicides compared to non-veteran suicides, but the difference is greater among males. Suicide among Americans in general has increased in recent years and veteran suicide trends mirror that, though risk factors vary.

A new study funded by the Army shows the suicide rate for veterans who served in recent wars is much lower than 22 a day. The study, published in the February 2015 Annals of Epidemiology, is the first large population-based study of post-service suicide risk among this population. Researchers used veteran records from two Defense Department databases, verified Social Security information and used the CDC’s National Death Index Plus. They studied 1.3 million veterans who were discharged between 2001 and 2007. Among deployed veterans in this report, 32.6 percent were born in 1978-1981 and 30 percent were born in 1982-1990.

Between 2001 and 2009, there were 1650 deployed veterans and 7703 non-deployed veteran deaths. Of those, 351 were suicides among deployed veterans and 1517 were suicides among non-deployed veterans. That means over nine years, there was not quite one veteran suicide a day.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/wp/2015/02/04/the-missing-context-behind-a-widely-cited-statistic-that-there-are-22-veteran-suicides-a-day/

Date: March 17, 2015 11:35PM

Unfortunately myself and every other person here suffers from a short attention span and will only get through the first sentence of that.

This post was mainly about suicicie in general. But thanks for researching and posting. If you can offer your own thoughts or opinions it is much appreciated!

Date: March 17, 2015 11:36PM

Suicide*

Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan Since Day1 ()
Date: March 17, 2015 11:49PM

The weak ultimately weed themselves out of the herd.

Posted by: trried ()
Date: March 17, 2015 11:51PM

hitler was a weak bitch wasn't he?

Posted by: why suicide?! ()
Date: March 17, 2015 11:52PM

Fuck that, take a trip to Thailand snort all the coke you want and fuck some ladybois and see if you still want to off yourself.

Posted by: GF69t ()
Date: March 18, 2015 12:00AM

When I feel All's lost I go grab a sparkplug wire while the car is running, won't kill you but really resets the brain for the rest of the day. My personal best is about 2.5 seconds at 2000 rpm. It really does change your suicidal thoughts. Have to ask yourself after you tried it why did my brain and body want to stop holding on to it so bad, because you really do want to live! And a good electric adrenaline high feels good afterwards! Isn't that what you want? Make the pain go away? Not kill yourself!

Works with sticking a fork in the socket, finger in open light socket but use a 9V battery to work your way up to this.

Posted by: GF69t ()
Date: March 18, 2015 12:00AM

When I feel All's lost I go grab a sparkplug wire while the car is running, won't kill you but really resets the brain for the rest of the day. My personal best is about 2.5 seconds at 2000 rpm. It really does change your suicidal thoughts. Have to ask yourself after you tried it why did my brain and body want to stop holding on to it so bad, because you really do want to live! And a good electric adrenaline high feels good afterwards! Isn't that what you want? Make the pain go away? Not kill yourself!

Works with sticking a fork in the socket, finger in open light socket but use a 9V battery to work your way up to this.

Date: March 18, 2015 12:02AM

Interesting...

Posted by: Ugly people ()
Date: March 18, 2015 12:03AM

PTSD Wrote:
> Thank you all for proving my point. Again, I'm
> sorry about your life and whatever it was that has
> happened to you that you find it okay to make a
> mockery of death and suicide. Even more so that
> you think so low of our troops.

Ugly people do ugly things.

Posted by: TL/DR version ()
Date: March 18, 2015 12:06AM

PTSD Wrote:
> Unfortunately myself and every other person here
> suffers from a short attention span and will only
> get through the first sentence of that.
>
> This post was mainly about suicicie in general.
> But thanks for researching and posting. If you can
> offer your own thoughts or opinions it is much
> appreciated!

The 22/day number is BS.

The source number is shaky to begin with even according to its authors.

It doesn't account for the fact that suicide is relatively prevalent to begin with. 10th largest cause overall, much higher among middle aged males REGARDLESS of whether they are vets.

There also are relatively large numbers of vets in the population so they are represented in suicide stats which are roughly in the same proportion (less so by some counts and at younger ages).

Between 2001 and 2009, there were 351 were suicides among deployed veterans and 1517 were suicides among non-deployed veterans. That means over nine years, there was not quite one veteran suicide a day. That's far less than the numbers for non-vets.

Bottom line, as tragic as each one may be, the 22/day number is BS and the resulting focus on vet suicides based on it is way overblown.

Date: March 18, 2015 12:06AM

I know. I feel sorry for those who feel the need to troll things like this. It must be so agonizing to live in such a personal hell and to have so much pent up anger that they get off on that type of thing. This area needs a peace intervention and some serious love. Only unloved people engaged in the trolling of the death of someone. One day someone close to them will die and they will understand it's no laughing matter.

Posted by: lol wut ()
Date: March 18, 2015 12:07AM

GF69t Wrote:
> When I feel All's lost I go grab a sparkplug wire
> while the car is running, won't kill you but
> really resets the brain for the rest of the day.
> My personal best is about 2.5 seconds at 2000 rpm.
> It really does change your suicidal thoughts. Have
> to ask yourself after you tried it why did my
> brain and body want to stop holding on to it so
> bad, because you really do want to live! And a
> good electric adrenaline high feels good
> afterwards! Isn't that what you want? Make the
> pain go away? Not kill yourself!
>
> Works with sticking a fork in the socket, finger
> in open light socket but use a 9V battery to work
> your way up to this.

LMAO!

Date: March 18, 2015 12:09AM

Again, my post was just about suicide in general. I happened upon that article and the pictures were touching. I don't have any information on the numbers but I do know suicide is an issue that's been discussed here and that I was just making the link that anyone can be susceptible to suicide. Kids, teens, adults, vets, anyone.

Posted by: @stats guy ()
Date: March 18, 2015 12:14AM

i think the op was trying to be nice and say that no one cares about what you're posting or what the numbers are and that this isn't a debate or a political discussion and to speak on suicide as a whole

Date: March 18, 2015 12:22AM

It's not that I don't care it's just that numbers wasn't my main focus here. I thought maybe if I showed that our troops suffer from suicide too that there would be a little more respect shown in the topic. Silly me for thinking the people here have value for those fighting for their freedom. They simply proved the other part of my posting right and we wonder why everyone in this area is killing themselves, especially our youth. There are just so many nasty, angry and bitter people here. That's the real tragic situation.

"Love thy neighbor"

Posted by: JL! ()
Date: March 18, 2015 12:34AM

Amen
Attachments:
image.jpg

Posted by: TL/DR version ()
Date: March 18, 2015 12:56AM

PTSD Wrote:
> It's not that I don't care it's just that numbers
> wasn't my main focus here. I thought maybe if I
> showed that our troops suffer from suicide too
> that there would be a little more respect shown in
> the topic. Silly me for thinking the people here
> have value for those fighting for their freedom.
> They simply proved the other part of my posting
> right and we wonder why everyone in this area is
> killing themselves, especially our youth. There
> are just so many nasty, angry and bitter people
> here. That's the real tragic situation.
>
> "Love thy neighbor"

Correcting the numbers wasn't intended as an attack or troll; rather, it was to correct what's, for the most part in the Buzzdeed piece, a very distorted picture of suicide and, in particular, of vet suicide.

The pictures in fact are NOT at all what vets/suicide looks like (or PTSD which they further incorrectly attach to it). If you wanted a more accurate picture it would be a bunch of old white guys, most with long histories of alcohol, substance abuse and mental issues. The vast majority completely unrelated to being a vet. Very, very few of the younger people pictured and especially the women would be there. Many more non-vets would be pictured especially at younger ages. The photographer's/Buzzfeed's presentation is a completely contrived view around a largely false narrative.

If you want to deal with something like suicide in a serious way then you should be dealing with the reality, not some distortion for whatever purpose artistic, political, or otherwise. Way too much manipulative stuff like that these days.

Date: March 18, 2015 01:03AM

Okay.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: March 18, 2015 03:11AM

I'm crying now.

Date: March 18, 2015 03:29AM

That's okay too.

Posted by: Diehard Lib ()
Date: March 18, 2015 08:01AM

It makes Obama giddy to hear of the deaths of our veterans. He and most Libs hate those who defend America.

Posted by: ask me ()
Date: March 18, 2015 08:33AM

Mike O'Meara Show Fan Since Day1 Wrote:
> The weak ultimately weed themselves out of the
> herd.

i think you mean "cull"

Posted by: 3VeTJ ()
Date: March 18, 2015 02:06PM

ffxu mom Wrote:
> I would kill myself too if my bathroom was that
> ugly.
>
>
> Now this bathroom just makes me want to live
>
>
> src="http://hgtvhome.sndimg.com/content/dam/images
> /hgrm/fullset/2013/6/21/0/hdivd1413_attic-master-s
> uite-after_s4x3.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.616.462.jpeg"/>
>
>
> My bathroom is all granite, with GROHE fixtures.
> #satyinalive

^^^ i would order the soldiers to hold you in a prison camp

Posted by: dMHFx ()
Date: March 18, 2015 02:08PM

for wreckless spending

for neglect of citizen duy

for being an asshole

Posted by: yipee! ()
Date: March 18, 2015 02:09PM

it's funny if the OP does it!

Posted by: Does what? ()
Date: March 18, 2015 02:11PM

yipee! Wrote:
> it's funny if the OP does it!

Does what?

Posted by: Make sense much? ()
Date: March 18, 2015 07:07PM

dMHFx Wrote:
> for wreckless spending
>
> for neglect of citizen duy
>
> for being an asshole

?

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: March 18, 2015 09:31PM

dMHFx Wrote:
> for wreckless spending
>
> for neglect of citizen duy
>
> for being an asshole

You can be reckless with money, but wreckless mean a good driving record.

Posted by: libs hate America. ()
Date: March 18, 2015 10:25PM

Eliminate libs, suicide disappears.

Next.

Posted by: Contardz suicide more ()
Date: March 18, 2015 11:52PM

Contardz commit suicide more often than libs.

Posted by: Disgusting ()
Date: March 19, 2015 12:06PM

what uppp Wrote:
> taxpayer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > jesus how much taxpayer assistance do soldiers
> > need? GI bill, healthcare, jobs, plus PTSD
> > therapy? how about a solider thanks us once in
> a
> > while
>
>
> Lets face it, most of them are slightly retarded
> considering they had to join the military to make
> something of their life.

Wow..

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: March 19, 2015 01:04PM

PTSD Wrote:
> Our community has a HUGE suicide problem.

No. People in our community have huge problems which are causing them to contemplate suicide. Not the same thing.

Posted by: Huge problems ()
Date: March 19, 2015 01:05PM

What problems do people here have?

Posted by: libs hate America. ()
Date: March 19, 2015 01:27PM

Only problem in the world is libs.

Posted by: SuiPrevent ()
Date: March 19, 2015 02:28PM

It's a problem everywhere, realy.
A guy parked his car on the Bay Bridge, got out and jumped (Wed. 3/11).
Of course I know I should post in "Off-Topic".

Posted by: grunt11B ()
Date: March 20, 2015 04:22PM

We lost three guys on the first deployment, then three after we got home. One suicide, one car wreck, one killed by a cop. Stats can be manipulated to sell any message...

Posted by: http://heavy.com/news/2014/09/ri ()
Date: March 22, 2015 03:20PM

Posted by: Civilian ()
Date: March 22, 2015 03:31PM

PTSD Wrote:
> They thank you with their lives and your continued
> freddom, the ones who do survice war thank you
> with their mental health.

Yeah, those Iraqis and Afghanis were really threatening my "freddom." Same with the Serbians, the Grenadines, the Vietnamese, the Koreans. Shit, even WWII, I doubt the Japs and Krauts were going to do much more to us than bomb our one colonially-occupied non-state. WWI? LOL. I think you have to go back to the War of 1812 to find an instance of our military protecting our freedom. Let's face it, it's basically a welfare program that funnels money to the retarded and to defense contractors.

Thanks for nothing, freeloaders.

Re: Suicide is a right
Posted by: General Confusion ()
Date: March 27, 2015 03:55PM

Suicide is a right and an individual decision.

As far as PTSD or "shell shock" goes -- well why the hell did they volunteer in the first place? Our parents and grandparents didn't come back from WW2 and whine about nightmares and not being able to work. The military is just a big jobs program and a way to live on the dole with essentially free health care.

Posted by: Fairfax Conservative ()
Date: March 30, 2015 05:02PM

Liberals love suicide for two reasons:

1) It's a choice.

2) It decreases the human population of the world.

If you're having suicidal thoughts, either succumb to the Liberal viewpoint, or man up.

And when you do man up, lead your own life, and stop letting others tell you what to do and how to live your life. Hypocritical Liberals will give you all the reasons you should die. Instead, love life, love God, love your neighbor and love yourself.

And Liberals, go Fuck yourselves.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.