HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
RAMMING it UP @ Robinson - worth the $125?
Posted by: MikelPolan ()
Date: March 02, 2015 11:44PM

I've got a rising 7th grader and just got an email about a week long half day intro to Robinson that takes place in August.

Is it worth the $125 to have my kid attend? anyone here attend Rammed Robinson?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RAMMING it UP @ Robinson - worth the $125?
Posted by: RamRod ()
Date: March 02, 2015 11:46PM

Sounds gay.

Posted by: Robinson Ram ()
Date: March 02, 2015 11:46PM

I attend Robinson, and I absolutely love it. I'm a sophomore right now, and I would ONLY have your child attend if they are extremely dedicated and looking to do the IB program.

Posted by: Black Betty ()
Date: March 03, 2015 12:00AM

What is the "it" that they are ramming and where are they ramming it?

Posted by: Gwf ()
Date: March 03, 2015 12:36AM

Black Betty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the "it" that they are ramming and where
> are they ramming it?

It's a weeklong half day intro to life at Robinson. It's held at Robinson Secondary School.

Posted by: Ram #2 ()
Date: March 03, 2015 01:43AM

Robinson Ram Wrote:
> I attend Robinson, and I absolutely love it. I'm a
> sophomore right now, and I would ONLY have your
> child attend if they are extremely dedicated and
> looking to do the IB program.

Oh my, I'm a sophomore as well.

And the school is good, they give you a variety of different electives and options to choose from.

Posted by: Bewildered ()
Date: March 03, 2015 01:56AM

Charging money for Freshman orientation? They can't do that. Worth a call to your school board member.

Posted by: fsfsf ()
Date: March 03, 2015 02:15AM

Bewildered Wrote:
> Charging money for Freshman orientation? They
> can't do that. Worth a call to your school board
> member.

Yeah, I don't think you usually pay for a freshmen orientation either. You should call.

Posted by: Smrtgy ()
Date: March 03, 2015 08:38AM

fsfsf Wrote:
> Bewildered Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Charging money for Freshman orientation? They
> > can't do that. Worth a call to your school
> board
> > member.
>
>
> Yeah, I don't think you usually pay for a freshmen
> orientation either. You should call.

Good point.

Posted by: vuy9x ()
Date: March 03, 2015 12:00PM

It's not $125 to attend a freshman orientation. It's $125 for a WEEK of attending school in the summer in order to get familiar with it. It's just like paying to attend summer school.

I would only have my child do this if you think they need more than just the standard freshman orientation night (where they get their schedules and locker combos). If your child is highly anxious or really needs to know their routine before school starts, then it's worth the money. But if your kid's cool with just checking out his/her classroom locations during the schedule/locker distribution time, then that's all they really need.

Posted by: What? ()
Date: March 03, 2015 12:08PM

What does the money cover and to whom is it paid?

Posted by: ramming it up ()
Date: March 03, 2015 12:34PM

Ramming it up? They couldn't think of a better name? Who names these things? Thats almost as bad a Tea Bagger.

Posted by: silly ()
Date: March 03, 2015 02:08PM

30+ years ago my mom made me go to orientation at robinson. It was half a day and free, and that was a couple more hours than needed. The teachers always cut some slack for kids being late to class on the first day at a new school, so i wouldnt worry. You could stop by the front office and get a copy of the floor plan. Thats all you really need. Or get your kid to be assertive on the first day and ask an employee where this or that room is at. Sounds like a waste of money unless your kid really wants to do it and you have no cares about money

Posted by: I'm Serious ()
Date: March 03, 2015 02:31PM

Ramming it up Katie for $125? Sure!

Posted by: Gimmick 101 ()
Date: March 04, 2015 10:46AM

This sounds like a fundraiser based on things that every child and parent should be getting for free during the first few days and weeks of school. They typically hold ap and ib nights to explain these programs. The first few days are an adjustment and they deal with whatever comes up then.

Where does the money go and for what?

Posted by: Something is very wrong here ()
Date: March 04, 2015 11:24AM

Welcome to our PUBLIC school.
Come to an OPTIONAL week of orientation.
Only if you want to be more successful here.
Pay us $125 for the opportunity.

That's a hard sell to the fairness police.

Better to ask all the booster clubs to pitch in the money to cover whatever costs are incurred,rather than making it a profit line.

Posted by: Gimmick 101 ()
Date: March 04, 2015 11:29AM

Anything the school offers has to be at cost. What are they paying for?

You bring up a good point about whether people who can't or choose to not pay this put their children at a disadvantage.

Somebody post the material.

Posted by: Googleismyfriend ()
Date: March 04, 2015 03:52PM

Posted by: Aaaaaaah-I smelled it... ()
Date: March 04, 2015 04:11PM

This is sponsored by the PTA. There might be some benefits, but this is not a school-sponsored activity. Is this an at-cost activity or a fundraiser? They should have a whole packet registered with the school system to do this, spelling out the costs, the staffing ratio and salaries, etc. Beware.

Posted by: Sniff ()
Date: March 04, 2015 04:22PM

Who do you contact to view the registration form? They will take in about $2800 for this.

Do other schools have similar orientations?

check it out
Posted by: The contact ()
Date: March 04, 2015 04:38PM

Send an email to Brandynn.Reaves@fcps.edu and ask to see the application for community use/PTA sponsored camp/class/ clinic whatever and all supporting documents. You don't have to give a reason. Just say you want it. They are supposed to spell out a lot of stuff in the application form. You should have your information within 12 working days, weather willing. Specify how you wish to receive the material. You can request an estimate of the search costs in advance. They should be minimal on something like this. Nothing to break the bank.

If you just have basic questions, it looks like there is a contact on the form.

My kids didn't do this at either their middle or high schools. It looks interesting, but I would certainly check out the financial incentive behind this. I think things will be taken care of just fine by the school. This is just an informative thing put on by the PTA.

Re: check it out
Posted by: So messed up ()
Date: March 04, 2015 04:45PM

There is also a school staff contact. So, this is a weird situation. You might find that nobody really knows who the sponsor is, even though it says PTSA. There is a lot of confusion with some of these. There might not be an application packet or clear terms. If it sponsored by the PTSA, there should be. It is certainly worth a try. Regardless, it looks optional. Not necessary.

Follow the money, honey.

Posted by: Convoluted mess ()
Date: March 04, 2015 05:10PM

The school board reserves the right to audit any pta sponsored activity on school grounds. Nobody might realize that, but it is in the regulation plain as day. There are conflicting and confusing references to "managing" and "sponsoring" in the regulations. They talk out of both sides of their mouths with this and sometimes wander aimlessly.

There is the name of an Fcps staff member for questions regarding the curriculum. If they say the finances are secret, start making a scene. If you sign any school forms whatsoever, like a school emergency care form, this is technically school sponsored, in spite of what the brochure says. School sponsored activities are definitely open books and the money should run through school accounts.

Posted by: Work the math ()
Date: March 04, 2015 06:53PM

Let's do the math.
Pta's don't have to pay a fee to use the school. Free.
The speakers are the principal (who is on salary and probably in the building anyway under Fcps contract time) plus teachers and students.
You are talking 20 hours of camp. Even if a teacher is present for each and every presentation, you are talking 20 hours at about $30 an hour. $600. If there are two teachers, for each and every hour, that would be $1,200. I would bet that there are not going to be teachers there for all of this.
T shirts are about $5-10 per student.
Lunch, maybe $5 a child.
Student presenters are probably free. Otherwise, paid helpers have to be at least 16.
They are supposed to have one responsible person per 25 kids, I think. Those could be PTA volunteers.

This is a probably a fundraiser. There is an Fcps staff member's name on this. You have a right to see the records. I would bet that is going to be easier said than done. I think this is a nice idea if your child is really nervous, but at $125, maybe they can just go with what is free- the first day of school.

Posted by: Ancient.Bruin ()
Date: March 04, 2015 07:17PM

How the fuck did my generation EVER get through high school without paying for orientation?

Get your class schedule, use the internet to map your classrooms, listen to your teachers and where appropriate, respectfully challenge their teachings in an insightful way, do your homework, study smartly and efficiently, get active in extra-curricular activities, maintain a 3.8 or better GPA, work a part-time job, volunteer for community service, collect your diploma and head off to a reputable university. Oh, and some where in those four years of high school...fuck the prom queen and all the cheerleaders spring AND fall seasons.

That's it...that's the list. Why is this so hard? Do not let the adults in charge (in this case the PTA) turn everything about a public school education into a financial opportunity.

The goal of high school is either college-prep or entrepreneurial-prep.

Posted by: non-booster ()
Date: March 04, 2015 07:46PM

There is little doubt that Boosterthon is involved in this scam.

Posted by: Lollollol ()
Date: March 04, 2015 07:52PM

non-booster Wrote:
> There is little doubt that Boosterthon is involved
> in this scam.

+1

Posted by: Roll w/it ()
Date: March 04, 2015 07:57PM

This reminds me of the sat/act prep classes. I told my kids, you have been preparing for over 10 years for these exams. You are what you are at this point. If you have to pay a bunch of money to try to get a better score in the hopes of getting into a college that is not a good academic fit for for you, why should we do this?
They did a little prep on their own and walked in the door and took the exams. One graduated from UVA, the other from a prestigious engineering school.

Posted by: Boom! ()
Date: March 04, 2015 08:09PM

Roll w/it Wrote:
> This reminds me of the sat/act prep classes. I
> told my kids, you have been preparing for over 10
> years for these exams. You are what you are at
> this point. If you have to pay a bunch of money to
> try to get a better score in the hopes of getting
> into a college that is not a good academic fit for
> for you, why should we do this?
> They did a little prep on their own and walked in
> the door and took the exams. One graduated from
> UVA, the other from a prestigious engineering
> school.

Holy fuck...this. This all day long and wipe it on the drapes when you're done, too.

And pulling all nighters? No. People who pull all nighters are people who haven't established efficient study patterns.

Community Use Regulation
Posted by: Reg 8424 ()
Date: March 04, 2015 08:18PM

Regarding PTA/Booster sponsored activities during the summer on school grounds-

H. Right to Audit
The School Board reserves the right to audit the managing organizations' financial
and management records at any time, either by division internal audit personnel or
by an outside auditor. This shall include all books of original entry, accounting, and
other records and documents deemed relevant to verifying the accuracy of the
financial statements and transactions related to the activities conducted in FCPS
facilities.

>>>>>Ask to see records from last year. This is nothing new. I would bet there was an FCPS employee's name on the brochure last year also. That clinches it.

Posted by: cougar. ()
Date: May 25, 2015 08:17AM

https://docs.google.com/a/fcpsschools.net/forms/d/1NW-0OGnl8LdGsB9hMxi_Tl5bMdDWHB92qGMyq3Adpjk/viewform

Oakton charges $150 for theirs. Looks like a major fundraiser for the PTA. If 50 kids sign up, they get $7500. Look at what is included. This one is only a 12 hour deal.

Posted by: 123456789 ()
Date: May 25, 2015 06:26PM

http://www.fcps.edu/MadisonHS/about/documents/Bridges%20Registration%20and%20%20Info%20Letter%202015.pdf

This is an example of what something like this is supposed to look like. FCPS letterhead, FCPS contact, checks go to the school (NOT a parent group), clear explanation of expenses, an offer to help financially challenged students, etc. All matched up.

Posted by: Go Bulldogs ()
Date: May 27, 2015 09:24AM

Posted by: Go Bulldogs ()
Date: May 27, 2015 09:25AM

Go Bulldogs Wrote:
> http://www.fcps.edu/WestfieldHS/academics/summeras
> signments/summerassign/bootcamp.pdf
>
> Westfield does the same thing, 12 hours, 25 bucks.

NINE hours. Three days, three hours.

Posted by: Chargers ()
Date: May 27, 2015 09:27AM

Posted by: Lake Braddock 7 ()
Date: May 27, 2015 09:43AM

Posted by: Gimmick 102 ()
Date: May 27, 2015 10:35AM

My three kids have never done this and got all this and more the first month of school. $150 for Oakton? That seems like a lot. What does it cover? Soon it will become almost essential. The BBQ should be priced out separately. Sounds like fun. I would think some people might like to do that and skip all the other stuff.

Posted by: :-/ ()
Date: June 08, 2015 04:52PM

The Robinson "orientation" was a $6000 fundraiser for the PTA last year.
Attachments:
2014 Ramping Up Transition Program_Redacted.pdf

Posted by: I luv numbers ()
Date: June 08, 2015 05:33PM

:-/ Wrote:
> The Robinson "orientation" was a $6000 fundraiser
> for the PTA last year.

You should have been able to take a $43 tax write off on this.

Posted by: 1981 Grad ()
Date: June 08, 2015 05:49PM

Pay $125.00 because your child is too fucking stupid to find their locker or get their schedule from the office. Does a basic introduction to the restroom cost much more, or is that included in the $125.00?

How dumb have we become? God help us if a REAL disaster were to occur.

Posted by: IjnGrr ()
Date: June 08, 2015 05:59PM

1981 Grad Wrote:
> Pay $125.00 because your child is too fucking
> stupid to find their locker or get their schedule
> from the office. Does a basic introduction to the
> restroom cost much more, or is that included in
> the $125.00?
>
> How dumb have we become? God help us if a REAL
> disaster were to occur.

I think it is nice for really nervous kids, but I think it should be offered at cost and sponsored by the school, and not be a fundraiser.

Posted by: I luv numbers ()
Date: June 08, 2015 06:34PM

I luv numbers Wrote:
> :-/ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Robinson "orientation" was a $6000
> fundraiser
> > for the PTA last year.
>
>
> You should have been able to take a $43 tax write
> off on this.

The original projected profit was $60 per child, with "great work" written on the estimate.

Posted by: %%% ()
Date: June 08, 2015 08:55PM

>>>I think it is nice for really nervous kids, but I think it should be offered at cost and sponsored by the school, and not be a fundraiser.<<<<<

The director is a staff member, so why is the money running through the PTA accounts and why are they claiming to be the sponsor of the activity? If a staff member is in charge, this should be school-sponsored. Plus, it should cut the cost dramatically. $82. If it is school-sponsored can't they offer the extra pay for this? It is during the summer, which should be off contract. Plus, the PTA had to insure this and assume the liability, when the director is a staff member.

This is nuts.

Posted by: Bah humbug! ()
Date: June 08, 2015 09:05PM

If parents are willing to pay this why should you care?

It is not hurting anyone.

Some kids need to get adjusted before moving to a big school.

Not everything in life is fair or free.

Posted by: buyers beware ()
Date: June 13, 2015 12:40PM

Your "orientations" are $7-8,000 fundraisers for the PTA.
Attachments:
2015 RAMping Up_Redacted (2).pdf
Oakton High School Jump Start_Redacted2015.pdf

Posted by: MAMA RAM ()
Date: June 15, 2015 12:50AM

This could definitely be good for nervous kids. HOWEVER!!! This is just another thing to pressure parents. We all were fine when we were in school, we figured it out, we played sports and not every parent came to try to control playing time or be the head volunteer so the kids would get special attention. ITS PARENT PEER PRESSURE - if your kid doesn't attend, he or she will be odd man out and not as well prepared as or recognized as the one who did attend. AND of course we all want our kids to go, so the staff can see that we PAID for our kids to be there and we parents are in the popular group of parents.

Posted by: attention Oakton ()
Date: June 15, 2015 11:48AM

cougar. Wrote:
> https://docs.google.com/a/fcpsschools.net/forms/d/
> 1NW-0OGnl8LdGsB9hMxi_Tl5bMdDWHB92qGMyq3Adpjk/viewf
> orm
>
>
> Oakton charges $150 for theirs. Looks like a major
> fundraiser for the PTA. If 50 kids sign up, they
> get $7500. Look at what is included. This one is
> only a 12 hour deal.

Supposedly school buses can only be used for a school-sponsored activity, which changes a lot of things, possibly including the price. They are looking at a $67 profit per child. This is messed up. Don't sign up for this until it gets evaluated.

Posted by: SmartRAM ()
Date: August 04, 2015 06:53AM

It's called RAMping Up, not Ramming Up

Posted by: Smart ()
Date: August 04, 2015 07:10AM

First, the program is for rising 7th graders, not a Freshman Orientation.
Second, it isn't a fundraiser for the PTSA. Last year, they did end up having funds left over - which they did not plan, and they rolled it over into this year's program to add a week and offer more scholarships. The fee pays for the teachers and facility, and the things that are provided to the kids. The Robinson PTSA doesn't do fundraisers, their budget comes from very specific items. It was started to welcome families into this very transient area, and give kids a good starting point, not to raise money and it is not part of the operating budget. It is coordinated by PTSA volunteers, with a school employee as the liaison. The PTSA isn't doing a teacher's job - nor should they - and the county can't afford to foot the bill, so the PTSA worked with the school to provide an option for kids.
Third, it has nothing to do with being extremely committed or IB. It's summer camp where you do activities related to getting to know Robinson instead of playing in the park for that same amount of time.
Fourth, it's for any kid who wants to check out the hundreds of things that Robinson offers - it's a huge place; there are roughly 500 kids rising into the 7th grade and only about 200 that attend, so no one is the odd man out, and the staff are from all grades so favoritism isn't an issue.
If anyone is curious to find out the actual facts, email president@robinsonptsa.org. Not everything has an evil ulterior motive.

Posted by: jhgf ()
Date: August 04, 2015 07:44AM

Smart Wrote:
> First, the program is for rising 7th graders, not
> a Freshman Orientation.
> Second, it isn't a fundraiser for the PTSA. Last
> year, they did end up having funds left over -
> which they did not plan, and they rolled it over
> into this year's program to add a week and offer
> more scholarships. The fee pays for the teachers
> and facility, and the things that are provided to
> the kids. The Robinson PTSA doesn't do
> fundraisers, their budget comes from very specific
> items. It was started to welcome families into
> this very transient area, and give kids a good
> starting point, not to raise money and it is not
> part of the operating budget. It is coordinated by
> PTSA volunteers, with a school employee as the
> liaison. The PTSA isn't doing a teacher's job -
> nor should they - and the county can't afford to
> foot the bill, so the PTSA worked with the school
> to provide an option for kids.
> Third, it has nothing to do with being extremely
> committed or IB. It's summer camp where you do
> activities related to getting to know Robinson
> instead of playing in the park for that same
> amount of time.
> Fourth, it's for any kid who wants to check out
> the hundreds of things that Robinson offers - it's
> a huge place; there are roughly 500 kids rising
> into the 7th grade and only about 200 that attend,
> so no one is the odd man out, and the staff are
> from all grades so favoritism isn't an issue.
> If anyone is curious to find out the actual facts,
> email president@robinsonptsa.org. Not everything
> has an evil ulterior motive.

It is a fundraiser. There was money left over, it was not offered at cost. Even if the money is used for a "good cause", if there are surplus funds, it is a fundraiser. They took the money from people who signed and used it to pay for other people so they could do the camp for free or at a discount, etc.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.