HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What is the best/cheapest way to move from VA to CA?
Posted by: Ned Ryerson ()
Date: January 29, 2015 09:52PM

So I'm looking to move out to northern CA from VA to be closer to family. I've been investigating some ways to move my two cars and all my stuff. Nothing is cheap, and everything ranges from 13K and up. Does anyone have any ideas to keep the budget down? My work will not pay for the move.

Options: ReplyQuote
Border Security is CHEAPER Than Wars
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: January 29, 2015 09:58PM

`

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2015 10:03PM by WingNut.

Re: What is the best/cheapest way to move from VA to CA?
Posted by: Sell one car? ()
Date: January 30, 2015 05:50AM

Do you need two cars? Can you sell one? That could pay moving expenses. There is no easy way to move to CA, buddy.

Posted by: done that ()
Date: January 30, 2015 07:56AM

I've moved coast to coast twice. First time I sold or gave away most of my shit and packed what I wanted to keep in my truck, like my dog guitars and bikes. No problem. When I moved back to VA I did the same thing but this time I towed back an old VW that I restored. No problem.
Stuff is just stuff. Get rid of it.
Do note that northern California is full of fag liberals and that state is overrun by illegals.

Posted by: GHtGv ()
Date: January 30, 2015 08:42AM

I was surprised at the cost of shipping a car in the area of $1000-$1500, too much IHM0.

Maybe you can search and find out if you can ship by rail cheaper.

Probably cost about $300 in fuel give or take plus if you need hotels, then this adds up as well.

Sell one, drive one, buy another when you get to CA.

I would move the family from CA before I would move there!

Posted by: iLester ()
Date: January 30, 2015 10:29AM

I've done the move twice. Uhaul rates are very high to move 2 bedrooms, $2500 to $3000.

I did a driveaway from Arlington to San Diego in the late 90s during December. I paid all the gas. During the drive, I took a detour in Texas toward the Carlsbad Caverns and ran into a blinding snowstorm in the West Texas mesa country. I may have hit something on the road that damaged the tailpipe. It cost me about $300 and nothing to the owner of the car. There are companies around here that will advertise for you.

Get a AAA membership if you plan to drive yourself, mainly for the low room rates. There were motels out there for 15 dollars a night, probably twice that now.

Posted by: johnny ringo ()
Date: January 30, 2015 10:35AM

That last piece of advice is critical. You'll also want them for in case you break down. It doesn't mean the towing or mechanic is any less sleazy or rip-off, but it does mean you won't have to fumble through a Google search on your phone at the side of a highway trying to figure out which towing company is closest and which is cheapest. AAA has already done that.

Posted by: Col. Hobson ()
Date: January 30, 2015 10:38AM

Have both cars and all your belongings shipped. Take Amtrak cross country with the US Rail Pass. A lot cheaper. Don't get a room, just a seat, and the seats recline far back for sleeping. Trip takes about a week.

Date: January 30, 2015 10:41AM

OP: something else you might want to check on is if your two vehicles meet CA's tough emission standards. A friend moved out there some time ago (late 90s?) and brought his car. I seem to recall that he had to pay some surcharge or special tax because his car was east coast and did not meet the emission standards for CA.

I'm not sure if this even applies anymore but it may be a factor in determining whether you bring both cars, just one, or sell both and buy one out there.

Date: January 30, 2015 10:45AM

Watch out for that first step, it's a doozie!

nedryerson.jpg

Posted by: Larry ()
Date: January 30, 2015 11:14AM

Make sure you set the alarm clock bright and early each day if you're driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjNE2N0SDzs

Posted by: exffx ()
Date: January 30, 2015 11:31AM

done that Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've moved coast to coast twice. First time I sold
> or gave away most of my shit and packed what I
> wanted to keep in my truck, like my dog guitars
> and bikes. No problem. When I moved back to VA I
> did the same thing but this time I towed back an
> old VW that I restored. No problem.
> Stuff is just stuff. Get rid of it.

This. First look at your all your stuff. Are they worth moving.

Posted by: AngryWhiteMale ()
Date: January 30, 2015 09:52PM

I moved from CA to VA a decade ago on my own dime.

I don't remember how much it cost and those numbers are way old. I did find the cheapest/best way for me.

http://www.upack.com/moving-services/moving-trailer.asp

I also had two cars transported for about $800 each while the going rate was about $1200.

I did the u-pack service and hired people to pack the trailer for me. Once it arrived in VA I paid a different set of people to unpack the trailer and move it into storage. I read too many stories about scam movers that hold your stuff hostage demanding more money than their original quote.

http://www.movingscam.com/

Posted by: Problem Solved ()
Date: January 31, 2015 03:07AM

Call Eesh. He will be relocating soon to ditch a civil lawsuit judgment. He will drive your other car for you.

Posted by: Ned Ryerson ()
Date: February 04, 2015 02:20PM

AngryWhiteMale Wrote:
> I moved from CA to VA a decade ago on my own
> dime.
>
> I don't remember how much it cost and those
> numbers are way old. I did find the cheapest/best
> way for me.
>
> http://www.upack.com/moving-services/moving-traile
> r.asp
>
> I also had two cars transported for about $800
> each while the going rate was about $1200.
>
> I did the u-pack service and hired people to pack
> the trailer for me. Once it arrived in VA I paid
> a different set of people to unpack the trailer
> and move it into storage. I read too many stories
> about scam movers that hold your stuff hostage
> demanding more money than their original quote.
>
> http://www.movingscam.com/

Thanks for this, I did an online quote and it will only cost me just under $3,000 dollars which is much cheaper than U-Haul. Thanks to everyone else's input too. I checked and my van would not meet CA's tough emission requirements, so I will probably end up selling it.

Posted by: AngryWhiteMale ()
Date: February 04, 2015 08:26PM

I dug up some old emails and found that I used the entire trailer and it cost $3640. My original quote was for part of the trailer for $2940. I obviously went over, but it was only $149/LF of space for overage.

It may be cheaper... but the BEST part is you don't have to drive a crappy-ass uncomfortable uhaul truck across the country with its horrible gas mileage, one bald tire, dog smell, and governed engine that tops out at 53mph. Also, uhaul operators are dirtbags that don't care if they screw you over on your reservation of a truck. Moving day may be delayed if they simply didn't bother to get you a truck.

I found the loaders/unloaders from movecenter.com. Their website is still alive but I'm not sure that they still resell grunt labor for that work. I'm sure that UPack could refer some people. Movecenter was fine, but the CA side of the grunt labor (not movecenter) was dirty. Get the terms of the loaders and unloaders in writing and keep all documentation! It is easy to lose paperwork in a move.

The loading grunt labor on the CA side doctored up my invoice after I signed it, claiming that I agreed to and owed them travel time and several more items. They threatened to sue and eventually offered to split the difference. I sent the president of the company a color photocopy of my invoice and a copy of their doctored invoice, telling him that their claim based on an invoice modified after I signed would likely be seen as fraudulent in court. I wasn't a dick about it. He dropped it and was pleasant about it - his minions were being stupid and acting outside his knowledge.

Warning - the trailer has no suspension and everything will rub together for the entire trip. That caused most of the damage to my belongings. The loaders can supply packing materials at a price and they won't be shy about using it. I built a plywood box/case for my bedroom set mirrors and other breakables since weight wasn't an issue. Just imagine shaking all the boxes and their contents together for four days straight and pack accordingly.

I advise against loading it yourself. An experienced loader can make very good use of the space and pay for themselves with the savings on the trailer linear footage or the stuff you can bring and not buy when you get there.

For another loader/unloader source, I'm sure that you can google it as well as I can. Just be thorough because the moving industry has many scammers and dirtbags. Any insurance you get will just cover the loss of the entire move - not any broken stuff. Shop around for that insurance because the most expensive is probably the one provided by the moving company themselves. Some idiot is going to break some of your stuff and there are several paragraphs in their agreement that eliminates their liability.

Since I paid for the move, I deducted the cost from my income. The IRS allows storage costs at the destination end to be included for a month or so. I knew I was going to need that for exactly three months so I paid for all three months up front in cash. The self storage place loved that - they gave me a discount and I got a receipt for a deductible expense incurred to store my belongings.

Good luck!

Posted by: Vixis ()
Date: February 04, 2015 08:49PM

Good luck keeping the cars in CA, the state has strict emmission laws. If your car doesn't have 2 catalytic converters, the state could force you to spend the money to have an additional one installed in each car and it won't be cheap. And another thing, enjoy the earthquakes.

Posted by: Dr. Memory ()
Date: February 04, 2015 09:18PM

Sell everything that won't fit into two suitcases and fly. You will not regret it.

Posted by: Hiker ()
Date: February 06, 2015 05:24PM

Sell everything!
If you're single, with no kids, Hitch Hike and carry some kind of defense mechanism or you can train it or bus it over.
Have anything really valuable sent directly to a cubesmart storage unit facility office in NOVA. Make arrangements with office.

stay @ hotel with free i-net while finding an apartment, etc.
Post if you need help with anything.

Posted by: John0107 ()
Date: February 13, 2019 01:46PM

You can contact moving companies and ask them for a quote or the best ask the if they have a load to that direction

Posted by: John0107 ()
Date: February 13, 2019 01:47PM

go online and ask them https://bestmoversdmv.com/

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: February 13, 2019 02:58PM

I've heard that U-Haul will practically pay you bring one of their vans into California. When you decide to leave, then you're f**cked.

Posted by: Christ people ()
Date: February 13, 2019 05:05PM

The OP was four years ago

Posted by: Huh??????? ()
Date: February 13, 2019 06:16PM

Christ people Wrote:
> The OP was four years ago

What???????

Posted by: Free Help Heading West ()
Date: February 13, 2019 08:39PM

All it takes is your Free Weed and Love, don't bring any guns along you punks LOL

Posted by: idiots ()
Date: February 13, 2019 08:47PM

do you tards not look at the date stamps?

Date: February 13, 2019 08:55PM

idiots Wrote:
> do you tards not look at the date stamps?

I don't date stamps, I date real women who give blowjobs cuz they luv 'em!

Posted by: Run to the hills ()
Date: February 13, 2019 09:03PM

Wagon train is by far the fastest and safest way to get to California. Strength in numbers to protect you from Elizabeth Warrens people.

Posted by: Mike huntt ()
Date: February 14, 2019 06:04AM

Ship yourself UPS

Posted by: ypty6 ()
Date: February 17, 2019 12:59AM

One of my landlords moved to Cali after selling his house in Nova. He was a cheapskate, so he went around to various used car dealers until he found a nice 14 ft box truck for sale, bought it, and loaded up his possessions in it. He bought a trailer hitch for his car.

Check out google ads for companies that do car transports for movers. There are also individuals in business that will drive your car(s) to your new city address for you.

https://www.thezebra.com/insurance-news/2721/shipping-your-car/

My landlord had a very successful move to Cali, he saved a bundle doing it all himself. When done he just sold the box truck when he got out there.

Posted by: Inquisitive One ()
Date: February 17, 2019 05:20PM

Sell one car and everything that cannot fit into the trunk of the other car. Do not put anything in your back seat. This will be your bed because you will not be able to afford to buy a home.

Posted by: fukin idiots ()
Date: February 17, 2019 08:35PM

I'd bet real money that the OP has this figured out being that he posted this 4 fukin years ago.

Posted by: Thats why he came back to NOVA ()
Date: February 17, 2019 10:29PM

Bankrupt and has STFU ever since about overpriced criminal illegals drugged out dangerous California

Posted by: Emy ()
Date: June 09, 2019 11:27PM

I used this company they did really good job, check them out https://bestmoversllc.com

Posted by: Answerer of OP questions ()
Date: June 09, 2019 11:48PM

Just leave the shit there, pack 1 suitcase, call United, book a flight, get onto it, get off of it when it lands.

You're welcome.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.