HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What southern state were the white amusement ride operators with missing teeth who used to operate the carnival rides at the Springfield Days carnival back in the 90s?
Posted by: Overnight Shifter. ()
Date: January 23, 2015 12:14AM

37.jpg

What southern state were they from?
I remember one of them pulling out some Skoal and chewing it while people were stepping off of the roller coaster he was operating after it stopped.
He was wearing blue jean overalls and would spit out what he was chewing after a few seconds.
Good times.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What southern state were the white amusement ride operators with missing teeth who used to operate the carnival rides at the Springfield Days carnival back in the 90s?
Posted by: Michigan ()
Date: January 23, 2015 12:22AM

SEIU-fat-guy1.jpg

Re: What southern state were the white amusement ride operators with missing teeth who used to operate the carnival rides at the Springfield Days carnival back in the 90s?
Posted by: winter birds ()
Date: January 23, 2015 12:34AM

Florida.

All carnies winter in Florida, then migrate north as the weather warms up.

Posted by: Flo.Rida ()
Date: January 23, 2015 12:57PM

Yup, you got that right WinterBirds.

Florida...a sunny place for shady people.

Posted by: to Florida!! ()
Date: January 23, 2015 01:12PM

Yep, they all winter in Florida in the offseason. Cole Amusements does about half the county fairs in VA and are based in Covington, but since the work is seasonal, all the help hits the road for down south by November.

Carnies must slowly be dying out, because lots of carnivals now hire international temp workers on J-1 and H2B visas, similar to what Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion have done for decades.

Posted by: Overnight Shifter. ()
Date: January 23, 2015 03:23PM

4279347926_ac664f44fc.jpg

mama-june-shannon.jpg?itok=yCRCTqZf

Where ever they were from they were not scared of black people.
I remember back when the carnival was held in the K Mart parking lot.

There were 2 black teenagers either from DC or PG who were banging on the glass of one of the quarter pushing machines so the quarters would fall out.
As soon as they started banging on the machine, a mama June looking blonde wearing a backwards baseball cap came over from one of the rides and got right up in their faces and started yelling at them.

Needless to say, as soon as she got in their faces the 2 blacks backed away and stopped banging on the machine.

Posted by: blanche ()
Date: January 23, 2015 05:17PM

I remember at Springfield Days one year the carnies working the "Tilt-A-Whirl" couldn't get it to stop and it was not a pretty scene. Isn't there some sort of emergency switch to cut the power?

I really don't go on those traveling carnival rides, with taking them down and putting them up all over the place and the folks that operate them who seem fairly sketchy. It seems like a recipe for disaster.

Posted by: Plenty of sketchy ride operators ()
Date: January 24, 2015 02:17PM

Plenty of sketchy ride operators.
Come to think of it... They were all sketchy looking.

Posted by: Mabel ()
Date: January 24, 2015 02:55PM

blanche Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember at Springfield Days one year the
> carnies working the "Tilt-A-Whirl" couldn't get it
> to stop and it was not a pretty scene. Isn't
> there some sort of emergency switch to cut the
> power?
>
> I really don't go on those traveling carnival
> rides, with taking them down and putting them up
> all over the place and the folks that operate them
> who seem fairly sketchy. It seems like a recipe
> for disaster.

Runaway ride? They couldn't just unplug it? Hello...?

As if the temporary nature of these businesses weren't enough...last year I saw the one coming into Landmark Mall and they had postings up looking for day-laborers to assist with setup/takedown. I'm sure their work is checked but, that's just totally unsafe...

When was the last time one of these vendors purchased a NEW from factory ride? Every one of those rides looks like it was manufactured in the 70's if not earlier...

Posted by: I just wanted to clarify... ()
Date: January 24, 2015 03:00PM

blanche Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember at Springfield Days one year the
> carnies working the "Tilt-A-Whirl" couldn't get it
> to stop and it was not a pretty scene. Isn't
> there some sort of emergency switch to cut the
> power?
>
> I really don't go on those traveling carnival
> rides, with taking them down and putting them up
> all over the place and the folks that operate them
> who seem fairly sketchy. It seems like a recipe
> for disaster.

Are you calling Mama June sketchy looking?
I just wanted to clarify what you said.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.