HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Thompson Creek
Posted by: Rachel M. ()
Date: January 21, 2015 05:30PM

Has anyone tried to get an estimate from Thompson Creek for window installation? I have heard that in the past, customers have received an original price estimate, and soon after, have received price estimates that were almost half of the original estimate...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thompson Creek
Posted by: TCW Sucks ()
Date: January 21, 2015 05:37PM

That sounds about right for gutters; they wanted over $8K for $3K gutters and would only come down to $5K

Posted by: Hassled ()
Date: January 21, 2015 05:52PM

I tried to get an estimate a week before I was going to close on a home. Thompson Creek refused to meet me without an estimate despite having a HUD-1 form in my custody. Thompson Creek, you will never get my business, ever, no kidding! I don't care about your advertising on WMAL, it only reminds me of how set an appointment with me and then called me back an hour before I was due to meet your estimator, to tell me you weren't coming because you checked the online tax records. Your reputation proceeds you, btw your work on my neighbors house was terrible; it featured the thinnest, most uneven and poorly installed flashing I have ever seen.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: January 21, 2015 08:11PM

They are overpriced and use high pressure sales. Josh O'Dell came to our place and claimed all sorts of war related disabilities that I later found were untrue. Try Window World or NOVA Installations. Or if your want to pay a lot, Andersen Renewal.

Another Thompson Creek thread: http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/843172.html

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Posted by: TC Customer ()
Date: January 21, 2015 08:22PM

Love the quality. Love the installation team. Hate the sales process. You are correct... make the sales guy go away empty handed and wait two months for them to call back with a 50% off offer.

Posted by: The Window Place ()
Date: January 21, 2015 08:58PM

Andersen Renewal in Merrifield would love to rob you blind.

Ask for Marty, invite him to your home for an estimate. Play your cards right and that crazy old fool will sing some opera. I shit you not. I've seen it happen.

Posted by: Familiar ()
Date: January 21, 2015 09:00PM

Sounds like Deck Helmet.

Posted by: Craaaaash ()
Date: January 21, 2015 10:55PM

I remember Windows Universe was recommended on here before by several posters.

Posted by: UsedThem ()
Date: January 22, 2015 11:00AM

I had my entire house redone... 4 exterior doors, screen/storm doors, and 22 windows. They're a bit pricier than some, but I expected that because of the higher quality windows and the fact that they were all custom made for my slightly off-standard 1950's house. There was the sales visit, then a second visit for official measurements, then a month or two later they did an install when everything was built. Single day, maybe 7 hours, their crew did the entire house. Demo, install, and cleanup/disposal...they did a spectacular job at that and I have no complaints whatsoever.

The nice part about these guys is the Windows/doors are custom built for your home, not standard size pre-fab windows that they install-to-fit, so if your home is older, this is a huge plus. They also have a double-lifetime warranty, so if I break parts or need something replaced, they look up the individual serial number from that door/window, and then come and replace the part for free. Double lifetime means that this transfers to the next person that buys my house as well, should I ever move.

Josh O'Dell was also one of my sales-reps. I do remember him mentioning something about military, but I can't speak to the validity of his stories. He seemed friendly and knowledgeable, and it was a low pressure engagement. However, I knew I was buying and buying from them up front, that's why I called, so that could also have been a factor. I'd definitely recommend these guys, and they do some end-of-year discounts, as well as 0% financing. I spent around $22k and did the year financing, so that was very convenient as well.

Overall, I'd happily recommend these guys. Quality products, easy service, and reasonable pricing. I absolutely love the windows and doors I have now...although mine were from the 70's so they were pretty shitty, so I may be a bit biased. They do email a bit frequently with discounts for friends/relatives, and they called once to try and get some sales...but I don't have any more doors or windows...so I guess they know not to call anymore.

Posted by: TC = Jehovah's Witnesses ()
Date: January 22, 2015 12:38PM

They put up windows for someone, get neighborhood referrals from that customer, and follow-up and pester them with some kid out of high school.

Posted by: Wild Bill ()
Date: January 22, 2015 12:53PM

Way overpriced, they do eventually come down but it's a game to them and my time is worth more. I was doing 28 windows in my house and out of the dozen companies I had come out they were the most expensive. They are a vinyl window and there is now much better quality product out there that you will get e better deal on from most if not all you have come out.

Posted by: Wolf in a Sportcoat (truth) ()
Date: January 23, 2015 09:29AM

Anyone who pays over $350 per installed vinyl retro-fitted window (top-of-the-line with all the bells and whistles) doesn't know what they are doing.

With Thompson Creek you can expect to be dealing with a trained "In-Home-Closer". Thus, you can expect them to try to ream you in the backside. In fact, the salesperson gets paid less if they don't close the deal at the higher profit-margins.

They use a tried and true sales method for "in-home closing". It goes like this:

1.) Start with a 1-year guaranteed price - like $750 each
2.) Offer a discounted 30-day price - like $650 each
3.) Offer a deeper discounted "buy today" price - now at $600 each

If that doesn't sell the deal then they'll go to the next step:

4.) They will call their "manager" to get you the "special price" but you have to agree to put a sign in your yard, give them referrals, allow them to bring prospective customers by to see your "showplace", oh and "sign today!" of course - now you're at $550 each

If that doesn't seal the deal for them:

5.) They'll write your contract "contingent on their manager's approval"
which of course is going to be approved, but you must "sign today!" - now $500 each

What they are trying to do over the course of their 2-hour "estimate/consultation" is create a sense of urgency in the mind of the homeowner to "buy now".

I've seen their pitch and their window and honestly, it's just another vinyl window. It is good quality, but nothing extraordinary or special. Even at $500 each you have way overpaid for their window.

I know these things because I was a trained in-home closer back in the '90s. Windows, siding, roofing, waterproofing, decks, porches; all were pretty big ticket items. The game hasn't changed. If I was "on my game" that day, people would sign up on my first visit about 35% of the time.

Buyers beware!
Attachments:
ABC.jpg

Posted by: oldguy ()
Date: January 23, 2015 09:38AM

So then Thompson Creek simply does the same kind of marketing everyone else does, whether buying windows, a car (let me go speak to my manager. OK, we can give you this price if you buy today), or a pair of jeans from Penneys (50% off this weekend only with this coupon). Or Macy's One Day Sale Saturday, with a preview day Friday. Marketing. They all do it. It's called Capitalism. Sell your product for the highest profit. Why is anyone surprised at this?

Posted by: Wolf in a Sportcoat ()
Date: January 23, 2015 02:12PM

Hold on there oldguy. Retail clerks at JCP do not make commissions. And I'd bet they rarely sell any $20,000 deals. So thats different than one-call-closing someone on a home improvement. Commissions on sales makes all the difference.

Posted by: Thompson Crook ()
Date: January 23, 2015 04:35PM

Don't even try to get an estimate from TCW; they will try to rob you
Need to change their name to Thompson Crook Windows

Date: January 23, 2015 10:55PM

True enough, the retail clerks don't make a commission, but that's like comparing the salesmen to the guys in the factory who make the windows. They don't make a commission, but they work for the company. So Penney's or Macy's makes the profit (commission). And I don't know this for a fact, but I would bet the salespeople in Penney's and Macy's who sell furniture and mattresses make a commission. In any event, the consumer still pays, with no real input into how it is divided up. And of course, the consumer can always just say no thanks, and please get out of my house. Sell for the highest price you can get from the consumer. Giving stuff away is a really bad business model. Welcome to Capitalism.

Posted by: horny bastard ()
Date: January 24, 2015 12:04AM

All I want to know is who is the milfy chick in the TCW commercials, goddamnit!

Posted by: Politicians bring crime ()
Date: January 24, 2015 03:26AM

Wow, what a shock. What business here isnt a shyster scam trying to screw people out of as much $ possible. Welcome to Fairfax.

Posted by: Thompson Crook ()
Date: January 24, 2015 07:27AM

Do not support the inflated prices of TCW; they are crooks

Date: January 24, 2015 08:47AM

Politicians bring crime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, what a shock. What business here isnt a
> shyster scam trying to screw people out of as much
> $ possible. Welcome to Fairfax.

What business ANYWHERE isn't trying to make as much money as they possibly can. If they don't, they don't stay in business. Do your research beforehand when making a major purchase. Protect yourself. Easy enough to do with the internet. And if you feel you are not being treated fairly or not getting a good price, walk away. Be responsible for yourself and grow up.

Posted by: 70chip ()
Date: January 24, 2015 11:52AM

They are a sales and marketing company, that just so happens to sell windows. one can identify these companies with a cursory glance at the business model. generally sales companies spend north of >60% of gross on new marketing to find more suckers. for profit colleges are good examples. university of phoenix spends 85 cents of every incoming dollar on fishing for new students. the remaining 15 cents get spent on salaries, facility and cuuriculum. thompson creek drops millions a year in Radio/print advertising to build a brand for a commodity product. Just realize as a buyer, your paying for all those radio jingles. Someone has to.

Posted by: on to the next sucker ()
Date: January 24, 2015 12:50PM

Politicians bring crime Wrote:
> Wow, what a shock. What business here isnt a
> shyster scam trying to screw people out of as much
> $ possible. Welcome to Fairfax.

Make as much as you can because how many times in their life is someone to going to replace all their windows. Once.

Date: January 24, 2015 02:10PM

70chip Wrote:
> They are a sales and marketing company, that just
> so happens to sell windows. one can identify these
> companies with a cursory glance at the business
> model. generally sales companies spend north of
> >60% of gross on new marketing to find more
> suckers. for profit colleges are good examples.
> university of phoenix spends 85 cents of every
> incoming dollar on fishing for new students. the
> remaining 15 cents get spent on salaries, facility
> and cuuriculum. thompson creek drops millions a
> year in Radio/print advertising to build a brand
> for a commodity product. Just realize as a buyer,
> your paying for all those radio jingles. Someone
> has to.

They are not unique at this. A relatively large percentage of what you pay for beer, or a new car or truck, or anything that is advertised in mass media goes to advertising. Millions of dollars are paid for just 30 seconds during the Super Bowl. That money has to come from customers. The way of the economic world.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: January 24, 2015 02:43PM

Wolf in a Sportcoat (truth) Wrote:
> With Thompson Creek you can expect to be dealing
> with a trained "In-Home-Closer". Thus, you can
> expect them to try to ream you in the backside. In
> fact, the salesperson gets paid less if they don't
> close the deal at the higher profit-margins.
>
> They use a tried and true sales method for
> "in-home closing". It goes like this:
>
> 1.) Start with a 1-year guaranteed price - like
> $750 each
> 2.) Offer a discounted 30-day price - like $650
> each
> 3.) Offer a deeper discounted "buy today" price -
> now at $600 each
>
> If that doesn't sell the deal then they'll go to
> the next step:
>
> 4.) They will call their "manager" to get you the
> "special price" but you have to agree to put a
> sign in your yard, give them referrals, allow them
> to bring prospective customers by to see your
> "showplace", oh and "sign today!" of course - now
> you're at $550 each
>
> If that doesn't seal the deal for them:
>
> 5.) They'll write your contract "contingent on
> their manager's approval"
> which of course is going to be approved, but you
> must "sign today!" - now $500 each

We did not use Thompson's Creek, but that sums up my experience with several contractors I dealt with.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.