HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: FCPS non-local travel report
Posted by: this is cute ()
Date: March 25, 2015 06:59AM

Here is an excerpt from an audit that was on the FCPS website. No names on here, but there was a table showing that Madison High School had eight travel discrepancies. Nobody else had any. This kind of stuff probably won't show up on the travel claims. Since when do you take cash out of public funds and not bring back any receipts to justify what you did with the cash, knowing full well that you are going to be audited? They actually had to be told to provide some supporting documents? How much more of this is there is what I want to know.

Office of Internal Audit School Activity Funds Audit
October 2012

2i – Travel
One school provided inappropriate cash advances, totaling $2,114.00, for eight nonlocal trips. Six advances were provided without preapproval from the principal and two were provided to the principal without preapproval from the cluster assistant superintendent. All eight cash advances lacked the proper travel request forms and conference information which would indicate where the conferences were being held and if they provided any meals. Upon returning from the conferences, no receipts or proof of purchases were given to the finance technician to reconcile the cash advances. For the eight cash advances it could not be determined where three of the conferences were held; therefore, it is unknown if a cash advance was appropriate or not. For the five stating a location, only one qualified for a cash advance, but the wrong amount was given. Regulation 5310, Travel-Local and Nonlocal, states, “The traveler must obtain prior approval…(and the) approving authorities and delegates must be at a higher grade level than the traveler seeking approval…Requests for prior approval of nonlocal travel must be submitted and approved through Online Travel prior to departure…Travel advances may be made for 75 percent of meals and incidental expenses per diem. Travel advances for less than $200 will not be issued.” Regulation 5810, School Activity Funds Management, states, “Advances are settled by returning cash and/or expenditure documentation equal to the amount of the advance. Completed cash advance records shall be filed with expenditure records of the accounts from which the
advances were made.” Nonlocal travel and cash advance procedures are in place to ensure funds are spent properly. When funds are used inappropriately, account integrity is lost and funds are not properly spent on students.
Recommendations:
We recommend all travel be preapproved, correct documentation collected and retained on file, and advances be made in compliance with FCPS guidelines.

Principals’ Response:
The principal(s) concur(s) with the recommendation(s). (!)

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 25, 2015 07:24AM

There aren't any notations in the travel column on the middle and elementary school tables, either.

This is actually sad, not cute.

Ex-CUSE me?!
Attachments:
travelissuesaudit2012.pdf

Date: March 25, 2015 07:43AM

Obviously you don't need receipts for meals, but it should be very obvious what the cash advances were for. Conference brochure, parking/taxi receipts, etc. And since when do people hand out/take cash without the approval of their superior as clearly stated? How do they track cash advances on the travel claim so that people aren't double paid when that money comes out of individual school accounts, while the other money might be coming out of Central funds?

Posted by: Actually...... ()
Date: March 25, 2015 12:14PM

"Ok, so it's a requirement that administrators have some sort of annual training or something, but is there any reason they couldn't being a trainer to Fairfax County and conduct an in service, like they do for teachers? I'm sure that it would more cost effective than sending a whole bunch of them to New Orleans or someplace." >>>>

It seems they are unable to have a local meeting without checking into Lansdowne, a Hilton, or a Westin for a night or two, maybe getting a luxury suite, signing everybody up for $30 breakfasts and $40 lunches, going to Morton's for dinner at $100 a head, etc. because they consider it too disruptive to take a meal break and have people make their own arrangements like a lot of the government and a lot of private industry does. You would have to factor that in along with the costs of paying the trainers, presenters, etc. to travel here, stay here, bring all their stuff, etc. You would also lose the benefit of discussing things and trading ideas among people from all over the country.

Posted by: the flip side ()
Date: March 30, 2015 08:20PM

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/894856.html

This is what happens when you bring the consultants to Fairfax.

Posted by: eckspedia.com ()
Date: March 31, 2015 07:43PM

Let's do a few more trips. Chicago, October 2013.

Hotel per diem was $209, so the rate of $239 was within 150%.
We paid for internet, but since the traveler was Assistant Superintendent, this could be supported as needed for work.
There is a mysterious receipt for Travel Traders that really doesn't make any sense. What exactly are these charges and why are we paying for them? Can anybody decipher this? They aren't supposed to charge meals. They can charge transportation. This doesn't look like transportation. What is this?
There is not any meal per diem paid on the travel claim.
The hotel receipt shows a redacted membership number. Was this hotel put on a personal charge card, or on a county pcard as required?
I have no idea whose charge card the airline ticket was put on.
Attachments:
Parris_Redacted.pdf

Date: March 31, 2015 08:00PM

^^^^^^^And the plane ticket doesn't look like a very reasonable price on Parris/Chicago.

Date: March 31, 2015 08:03PM

Chicago, 9-2013.
Hotel per diem was $190, so $265 per night is within 150%.
Don't think he used satellite parking, but nobody else did either. This has been updated in the new travel guidelines.
Missing a receipt for the taxi.
The baggage fee is rolled in with the airfare on the travel claim instead of broken out separately.
Attachments:
McLain_Redacted.pdf

Date: March 31, 2015 08:14PM

New Orleans, 7-2013.
Hotel per diem was $101, the room rate was $155, there is a notation "only claimed $480" and it looks like this was put on a personal charge card instead of a county card as required as it was paid to the traveler.

Partial meal per diem.
Attachments:
Acevedo_Redacted.pdf

Date: March 31, 2015 08:26PM

Phoenix, 6-2013.
We paid $718 for a plane ticket. I just looked up tickets to Phoenix for similar dates this summer and found a plethora of tickets for about $420 or so.
Hotel per diem was $80, we paid $125. We also paid for internet services.

Would anybody like help purchasing plane tickets? I am really good at that.
Attachments:
Chong Travel_Redacted.pdf

Posted by: pYKFh ()
Date: April 01, 2015 06:54PM

stop peddling fake news

FCPS has made an edict they are doubling they pay

WTOP also advertised for FCPS that Herdon hispanics require 1/2 Billion Dollars to refurbish a SINGLE SCHOOL - if WTOP has not published an apology of error i didn't see (when i read the article, it was already days or weeks old)

your ads concerning $2,000 are a mere red herring , an obstruction to those who have "faith there is a system" to mislead them like lemmings over a cliff

poor people starving and dying in town: will not get a raise in min. wage nor any aid - but will be stalked by militant police. jobs will go to illegals

i don't need to see an audit. an idiot would realize refurbishing an already built school does not equate to a brand new offshore oil rig for mexicans

Posted by: tcJtE ()
Date: April 01, 2015 06:54PM

republicans are suffering from $8T of democrats printing their way into power. which used to come with a death penalty mind you. (8 10^12)/((256 10^6)/4

($125,000) per citizen owed by "our dear gov family yr 2000's"

Owed. is it any wonder law suits are demanding it ? not a single. (per citizen that isn't a gov worker or is in a family of abusive non-sharing gov workers or profiting largely off insider gov) (legal citizens). a conservative est. of disparity yet appauling before a real count.

busch and clinton began with debt and spent allot too: yes. to the tune of $8 trillion more, 8x more, than than their predecessor ? NO

i highly doubt ANY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD isn't composed of rich political families / mobs who's first priority isn't controlling the printing of fake money: inflationary debt (in all economic cycles), criminal

facist central, the UN, is based NY,NY i hear. they help to legitimize each other's authority of debt. and it's been any country EXCEPT the usa which has had quick growth during it, ssince it is USA taking a backstabbing dive that (first) drove it. UN attacks countries: ie, 15-20 militaries attacking one.

Posted by: Tax Payer1 ()
Date: April 02, 2015 03:12PM

got my report

eckspedia.com Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There have been a lot of comments about travel for
> FCPS employees. Here is a listing for about 15
> months of non-local travel as reported by FCPS.
> There might be other money pots that don't show up
> here. I saw that some travel was paid from ECA's.
> I don't know if all the travel is captured or
> not.
>
> They were requested to do a printout of name,
> where they went, what the dates were, and the
> total amount of the claim.
>
> If you are interested in more details, shoot an
> e-mail to Brandynn Reaves at bareaves@fcps.edu and
> you can get copies of the full travel claim
> showing all receipts, hotel, per diem, etc. Any
> citizen of Virginia can do this as long as they
> aren't in jail, so have at it.
>
> Looks like there WAS a group that went to Orlando
> in June 2014 as per another thread.
Attachments:
FOIA Response - Perez_Redacted#1.pdf
FOIA Response - Perez_Redacted#2.pdf

Date: April 02, 2015 03:28PM

Dear Ms. Perez:

This e-mail serves as the response to your request for travel claims and supporting documentation of Fairfax County Public Schools employees, received March 17, 2015, pursuant to the Virginia Freedom of Information Act.

Two separate e-mails with the attached responsive documents will be sent due to the size of each file. Attached is part one of the responsive documents which covers travel information for King, Ricci and Vaerst.

Please note there are redactions because the records contain personal and financial information, which are exempt from disclosure obligations pursuant to Va. Code §§2.2-3705.1(10), 2.2-3705.1(13). The cost estimate of staff time to search for the requested records is $72.52 (2 ¼ hours @ $32.23 per hour Finance Technician III/IV/V). Va. Code § 2.2-3704(F) allows Fairfax County Public Schools to charge for such expenditures. Please remit a check made out to Fairfax County Public Schools, in care of this office.

Sincerely,

I hope someone can help me and send them a check

Date: April 02, 2015 04:35PM

"I hope someone can help me and send them a check"

May I suggest a GoFund Me account?

Posted by: equal opportunity ()
Date: April 02, 2015 05:10PM

There was a payment for a conference for the National Alliance of Black School Educators. What percentage black do you have to be to qualify? How can the school system support paying for travel to meetings of an organization that discriminates? Would they pay for travel to the National Alliance of White School Educators? How about the National Alliance of Female or Male or LGBT School Educators?

Date: April 02, 2015 05:44PM

eckspedia.com Wrote:
> "I hope someone can help me and send them a
> check"
>
> May I suggest a GoFund Me account?

Why did Nardos spend over $25.00 on dinner on her self? Where did she go eat? DID we pay for that?. It doesn't show me what she ate

Date: April 02, 2015 06:19PM

Tax Payer1 wrote
>
>
> Why did Nardos spend over $25.00 on dinner on her
> self? Where did she go eat? DID we pay for that?.
> It doesn't show me what she ate

She doesn't have to have an itemized receipt for meals because she is on per diem. They are paid a flat rate. I will take a look at this later on. I see that we paid for two checked bags. The new regulation says one bag only unless you are transporting FCPS materials. This was processed under the old regulation which did not specify that. It was a six night stay. The airplane ticket was supposed to be on a county charge card. It was put on a personal charge card.

Posted by: Mariola ()
Date: April 04, 2015 01:18AM

Older Mexican-Americans Often Disabled, Study Says
THURSDAY, April 2, 2015 (HealthDay News) -- Mexican-American seniors have high rates of physical disabilities, a new study says.

Researchers analyzed data from Mexican-Americans older than 65 who were followed for 18 years. They concluded that, on average, this group of people spends more than half of their remaining years with serious physical disabilities that limit their ability to do everyday tasks.

The risk of physical disabilities was higher among women born in Mexico and among those with less education and money, the study found.

The findings show the growing need for community assistance and long-term care, according to the study published recently in the Journals of Gerontology, Series B: Psychological and Social Sciences.

"The fact that Mexican Americans have an average life expectancy of 81.4 years indicates significant progress against the chronic diseases of aging, although longer life is not an unmixed blessing," study author Jacqueline Angel, of the University of Texas at Austin, said in a journal news release.

"Unfortunately we have not compressed morbidity as much as we would have liked and many older Mexican Americans need extensive care, either from their families or others. Such a burden has serious implications for Mexican-American families and for long-term care policy," she added.

These findings indicate that poverty and lifelong disadvantages seriously undermine the health of many older Mexican Americans, Angel said.

Angel noted that the family tends to step in to provide care to even seriously impaired older parents. Still, "we must develop policies and programs that complement the family in their ability to provide care to older infirm parents in order to improve the quality of life of both the older parents and their caregivers," she concluded.

More Information

The U.S. National Library of Medicine has more about Hispanic-American health.

SOURCE: Journals of Gerontology, Series B: Psychological and Social Sciences, news release, March 26, 2015
> causeican Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > No it doesn’t It looks like one out of the
> > group went to Orlando.
>
>
> Well, the money went to Orlando. For like 100
> people. One person claimed over $4000 for the
> trip.

Posted by: a thank you card would be nice ()
Date: April 04, 2015 07:31AM

The next time you open your real estate tax bill, think about the adult beverages you bought FCPS employees on some of their boondoggles.

Date: April 04, 2015 08:12AM

a thank you card would be nice Wrote:
> The next time you open your real estate tax bill,
> think about the adult beverages you bought FCPS
> employees on some of their boondoggles.

I did not say this so don't attribute it to me. They get per diem, they can spend it on anything they want, and if they prefer a liquid diet, they can do it. I don't like per diem. I prefer receipts to substantiate the use of the funds, but it is the law of the land, and that is one battle I am not fighting. I am just matching up trips to the regulations. We expect hotel receipts when they are on hotel per diem, why not restaurant receipts?

Right now the major problems seem to be- a basic room is never good enough, I think the airline ticket prices need to be evaluated more thoroughly, and some of the details like paying for airplane seat upgrades, dates of travel not matching up to issued per diem, inconsistent calculation methods being used for per diem, using personal charge cards for government expenses when they are supposed to use pcards, using government cards for personal expenses and then "paying us back"-eventually/hopefully- (forbidden in the regulations), inflated parking charges, and inconsistent centralized recording of actual travel costs seem to be the problems. At one school they had big problems with unsubstantiated cash advances for travel. That needs to stop immediately. The travelers also need to understand that they need to bring being correct, legible receipts, and check their claims to make sure they are correct. If they don't like doing or correcting these things then I think people can just stay home. I will say that.

I am also not commenting on the actual or perceived benefit gained from the travel because I do not have all the details on the contractual obligations we have with the travelers and other issues. The School Board, for example, has it written in their operating manual that they have to have training of this type and we have to pay for it. Some of the training could be mandatory for the school system to provide for various reasons, particularly in order for them to keep various certifications. They have a huge assortment of employees, all with different professional obligations, both at the personal and school system level.

Posted by: No Accountability ()
Date: April 04, 2015 10:53PM

I would like to know why Jay Pearson went to Denmark last September? What could FCPS gain from sending a region principal to Denmark for more than a week?

Posted by: Just ask! ()
Date: April 05, 2015 06:09PM

No Accountability Wrote:
> I would like to know why Jay Pearson went to
> Denmark last September? What could FCPS gain from
> sending a region principal to Denmark for more
> than a week?

Ask for the travel claim and see what they went to for a start.

Posted by: ... ()
Date: April 25, 2015 11:15AM

Posted by: current events ()
Date: April 25, 2015 11:32AM

Since FCPS is crying about a budget shortage, they should ban all of this travel.

Posted by: Eckspedia.com ()
Date: April 25, 2015 02:51PM

current events Wrote:
> Since FCPS is crying about a budget shortage, they
> should ban all of this travel.

You are entitled to your opinion and free to express it here. OP is only commenting on whether the travel claims are processed according to school regulations.

Tips-
The first thing you do when you are authorized travel is to find out what your hotel per diem rate is for the area you are going. You need to aim for that. Don't automatically take the 150%. Aim for per diem. You are spending money people had to pay instead of providing their family's needs, and don't ever forget that.

You only get a basic room. If you are traveling with your family, for example, and want a larger room, we don't pay for that.

You can only be paid meal per diem for the days you actually travel. I have not formally heard how it works when breakfast is included with your hotel rate, but I have see several claims where people stayed at hotels that did that and per diem was not paid.

If any meals are included in your conference fee, you are not authorized per diem for those meals. That includes breakfasts and dinners.

You are not authorized to put meals on the pcards. You are not authorized to put personal expenses on the pcards. No room service. No extras. Check the travel regulation.

If you think the meal per diem is not enough, then you need to scale back your restaurant choices or pay the extra out of your own funds. There aren't any other options. This is not a paid vacation for you. I know of plenty of people who go to McDonald's and eat off the Value menu and bank the per diem. You can do that. If you are all as broke as you say you are, this makes a lot of sense. It is legal, unfortunately.

You park in satellite lots, NOT $45 per day/hourly parking. If you don't like that, take a cab. I don't even have a problem with a reasonable parking garage, but the regulation reads satellite lots.

You don't get seat upgrades on the plane.

When you buy your plane ticket, it needs to be something reasonable and appropriate. I don't consider $600+ to fly to Orlando and back reasonable and appropriate, but more research would have to be done as to what was available at the time of booking. It is very easy to research flights. I do this all the time. You go to any of the major ticket sites (Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, etc.), and check other airlines that book themselves (like Southwest). There are two major airports in this area and there are lots of options. You don't have to get to BWI any more for a decent fare.

I would be happy to help. Let me know where you need to go and I can run some numbers for you. We can do this anonymously right here. I will volunteer my time. Half of my property taxes go to pay for the school system. I have every right to have a real interest in what is going on.

If you don't like any of this, STAY HOME.

Posted by: just keep it up ()
Date: April 25, 2015 03:29PM

Above post says it all. Unfortunately there is little oversite, perhaps the least of any County agency, Their arrogance will be their downfall

Posted by: join in! ()
Date: April 25, 2015 03:56PM

just keep it up Wrote:
> Above post says it all. Unfortunately there is
> little oversite, perhaps the least of any County
> agency, Their arrogance will be their downfall

Jump on in. Pull some claims.

Eddy, Rodeheaver, Blankenship, Murphy, McCulla, Thomas, and Poole----June, 2013 to Napa/San Francisco are next. Give it two weeks.

Yet another traveler is paying back the county some money. You can't collect per diem on a day you didn't travel, plus some other stuff. Congratulations. Thank you, School Board auditor. No sympathy any more. Your plane lands on Saturday, don't go collecting per diem for Sunday. This is public record. If you don't like being in the spotlight, stay home or make sure your travel claims are correct.

Posted by: Vote them Out ()
Date: April 25, 2015 03:57PM

I've asked questions about contracts and travel to Patti Reed, who has referred them to various people at Gatehouse. I get vague, incomplete answers.

FCPS is out of control. Let them go to Orlando when schools are not losing accreditation left and right. Let them live within their means.

I plan to vote against my local school board person, all at large incumbents, Sharon Bulova and my local board supervisor. I'd love to be able to vote Karen Garza out as well, hopefully the new board will take care of that.

Posted by: Time to fight back-elections ()
Date: April 25, 2015 04:33PM

Vote them Out Wrote:
> I've asked questions about contracts and travel to
> Patti Reed, who has referred them to various
> people at Gatehouse. I get vague, incomplete
> answers.
>
> FCPS is out of control. Let them go to Orlando
> when schools are not losing accreditation left and
> right. Let them live within their means.
>
> I plan to vote against my local school board
> person, all at large incumbents, Sharon Bulova and
> my local board supervisor. I'd love to be able to
> vote Karen Garza out as well, hopefully the new
> board will take care of that.

amen to that, only when tax assessments get out of hand will people sit up and take notice. The County has no intention of losing their AAA bond rating. If they continue to rubber stamp these outrageous budget School board increases every year, they will be hitting the homeowners to anty up. There is no external auditing, they is even less accountability. Make them justify these expenditures as other County entities do. The system likes to believe that more money means a better school system. Looking at current score and reading levels they are just plain stupid or believe the parents and residents are.

Posted by: Dan Stork ()
Date: April 25, 2015 04:52PM

How about Barb try and run the system or maybe run for school board. Maybe she is better than everyone else and she represent FCPS since she clearly thinks she can do a better job. Get a life and quit worrying so much about the county. Focus on your own screwed up kid.

Posted by: Party City ()
Date: April 25, 2015 09:00PM

Maybe if the school staff weren't so busy with massages and parties they could get their work done. Cry me a river......

Posted by: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ()
Date: April 25, 2015 09:31PM

join in! Wrote:
> just keep it up Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Above post says it all. Unfortunately there is
> > little oversite, perhaps the least of any
> County
> > agency, Their arrogance will be their downfall
>
> Jump on in. Pull some claims.
>
> Eddy, Rodeheaver, Blankenship, Murphy, McCulla,
> Thomas, and Poole----June, 2013 to Napa/San
> Francisco are next. Give it two weeks.
>
> Yet another traveler is paying back the county
> some money. You can't collect per diem on a day
> you didn't travel, plus some other stuff.
> Congratulations. Thank you, School Board auditor.
> No sympathy any more. Your plane lands on
> Saturday, don't go collecting per diem for Sunday.
> This is public record. If you don't like being in
> the spotlight, stay home or make sure your travel
> claims are correct.

Kannapell?

Date: April 26, 2015 07:38AM

I am going to say it again. When you travel on county money, people have been mandated to give up money that they could have used on their family in order to provide you with a trip. I realize that taxes are the price of a civilized society, but don't go signing or clicking "yes" on "is this travel claim correct and appropriate" when you don't have correct receipts, you don't have any receipts, per diem limits are ignored, incorrect amounts are requested, you are double-dipping, expense limits are not followed, etc. I am not commenting on whether the conferences and training are necessary.

Posted by: FCPS Looking the Other Way ()
Date: April 26, 2015 10:24AM

FCPS employees caught abusing travel funds should be fired and prosecuted for theft, no two ways about it.

FCPS eats up half the County budget, a lot of it is waste and fraud.

The conferences and training, even if deemed necessary, are clearly not working given the increases in lack of accreditation and poor test scores. It is obvious that these trips are boondoggles, or routing money to favored conference and training suppliers.

If the current school board members think they will be re-elected, they need to think again. If certain school board members think they will be elected to the Board of Supervisors, they need to think again.

Posted by: the dark side ()
Date: April 26, 2015 12:15PM

I am going to tell you an ugly story from an audit I saw of a trip to Chicago that two FCPS teachers went on that was paid for by a parent group.

This was a three day conference. They were given a $200 cash advance from the parent group, told to provide receipts, and had nothing to show for it besides a handwritten note saying they spent over $200 on cabs and tips. The conference was at an enormous downtown luxury hotel. All events were held right at the hotel, and the conference ran over 12 hours a day. All the restaurant receipts showed they ate within 2 miles of the hotel and the tips were on the receipts. Cab fare in downtown Chicago was $2 a mile at the time. There are lots of restaurants within easy walking distance of this hotel. There was also a continuous free shuttle running to yet another enormous luxury hotel that also had lots of restaurants adjacent to it. The parents also had to pay for concierge level hotel rooms at a significant cost. They were "necessary". The restaurant receipts (they did not do GSA) were sad. Some swanky Brazilian steakhouse was one of them.

How much time can you spend at a conference when you are racking up $70 a day on cabs?

The two airport transfers ran over $200 total (instead of $60-$80 total as indicated on the hotel website) because they were traveling with the family of one of the teachers, one member who was also an FCPS teacher attending the conference. The "two teachers" could have shared a cab. The three teachers could have shared a cab.

And the parent group fell for this hook, line, and sinker. I am not naming any names. Focus on the issues.

These trips need to be very, very closely monitored.

Posted by: the dark side ()
Date: April 26, 2015 12:47PM

And these two teachers were also given parent group charge cards to use whenever they felt it was indicated. 24X7X365. They could have used those for the cabs. But, no.

Posted by: ///////////////////// ()
Date: April 26, 2015 08:22PM

the dark side Wrote:
> I am going to tell you an ugly story from an audit
> I saw of a trip to Chicago that two FCPS teachers
> went on that was paid for by a parent group.
>
> This was a three day conference. They were given a
> $200 cash advance from the parent group, told to
> provide receipts, and had nothing to show for it
> besides a handwritten note saying they spent over
> $200 on cabs and tips. The conference was at an
> enormous downtown luxury hotel. All events were
> held right at the hotel, and the conference ran
> over 12 hours a day. All the restaurant receipts
> showed they ate within 2 miles of the hotel and
> the tips were on the receipts. Cab fare in
> downtown Chicago was $2 a mile at the time. There
> are lots of restaurants within easy walking
> distance of this hotel. There was also a
> continuous free shuttle running to yet another
> enormous luxury hotel that also had lots of
> restaurants adjacent to it. The parents also had
> to pay for concierge level hotel rooms at a
> significant cost. They were "necessary". The
> restaurant receipts (they did not do GSA) were
> sad. Some swanky Brazilian steakhouse was one of
> them.
>
> How much time can you spend at a conference when
> you are racking up $70 a day on cabs?
>
> The two airport transfers ran over $200 total
> (instead of $60-$80 total as indicated on the
> hotel website) because they were traveling with
> the family of one of the teachers, one member who
> was also an FCPS teacher attending the conference.
> The "two teachers" could have shared a cab. The
> three teachers could have shared a cab.
>
> And the parent group fell for this hook, line, and
> sinker. I am not naming any names. Focus on the
> issues.
>
> These trips need to be very, very closely
> monitored.

Nice.

Posted by: why ()
Date: April 26, 2015 10:56PM

why is fcps traveling to conferences when all other agencies have suspended travel? why not use the travel budget to close the budget gap? this is why no one listens to fcps budget whining.

Date: April 27, 2015 09:54AM

why Wrote:
> why is fcps traveling to conferences when all
> other agencies have suspended travel? why not use
> the travel budget to close the budget gap? this
> is why no one listens to fcps budget whining.

Some things might be required in order to maintain their accreditations, etc. I am not getting mixed up in that. I am just looking at the reports. You can ask any questions you want regarding that topic. Go right ahead.

Posted by: FairfaxTaxPayer22 ()
Date: April 27, 2015 10:41PM

How do you ask for the cost of defending a principal who was sued by 3 or 4 employees and a student? It must be tens of thousands of taxpayer money and now they seem to be arranging settlements. WTH? Why spend this much money and then settle. I guess they don't want to say the principal made a costly mistake!

Any idea on how to get this information from them? Would a FOIA work for this type of spending? Thanks!

Posted by: try ()
Date: April 27, 2015 10:56PM

FairfaxTaxPayer22 Wrote:
> How do you ask for the cost of defending a
> principal who was sued by 3 or 4 employees and a
> student? It must be tens of thousands of taxpayer
> money and now they seem to be arranging
> settlements. WTH? Why spend this much money and
> then settle. I guess they don't want to say the
> principal made a costly mistake!
>
> Any idea on how to get this information from them?
> Would a FOIA work for this type of spending?
> Thanks!

Ir doesn't hurt to try...... try it and post it if u found out anything

Date: April 28, 2015 07:14AM

We are just looking at travel claims here. Good luck.

Posted by: travelocitee ()
Date: April 28, 2015 08:47AM

All right, this is nasty, but I just have no tolerance for this kind of stuff.

I first noticed on this claim that the traveler came home on the 22nd, was paid food per diem on the 23rd. That was a very bad idea. I then noticed that the hotel deposit indicated on the credit card statement did not match the deposit on the hotel receipt, the total charge also being really expensive ($1634.76) and did not match the amount noted on the travel claim ($1085). Another bad idea. I requested unredacted credit card statements. I also requested a copy of the car rental contract. I looked up hotel rates on the internet. Called the hotel immediately. This was an upgraded room, ran about an extra $40-50 per night. The base rate was way over per diem of $147 ($229-$289 the last night). A basic room would have been over per diem but within the 150%. Breakfast was included in the room rate. I looked up the conference. The exact same conference this summer has breakfast and lunch included. All five days. The conference this summer ends at noon on Friday. There are red eye flights out of San Fran, an hour away. Obviously somebody needed to check what the conference details were. I got the unredacted credit card statements and.....

I demanded an explanation, in a major way.

1. Explain/prove how/why this room only cost the county $1085 when the county charge card shows $1600+. We paid about $1300 for the other travelers' rooms. I am entirely open to an explanation. I also noted the traveler went out a day early. We did not pay for that night. It looks like it was a weekly rate on the car we paid for and extra costs were probably not incurred.
2. Prove why this traveler rated food per diem on the 23rd when the plane landed on the 22nd. I am all eyes and ears. ($71 a day)
3. Why did we pay for a whole bunch of $9-$12 breakfasts when we had already paid for breakfast in the hotel room rate and it was possibly/probably included in the conference? County policy is any meals included with conferences warrant meals removed from per diem.
4. Why did we pay for lunch on Friday when the traveler stayed over, and lunch was very likely included with the conference?
5. Why did we have to pay $289 ( total of about $329) for Friday night if the conference ended at noon and there are late afternoon, early evening flights back to DC? That also added another day of food per diem.
6. I looked up room rates and there were lots of hotels very close to per diem. They are not dives. Holiday Inn Express, etc. The traveler had use of a great big Suburban (there were multiple travelers staying at the hotel). Why did these people all have to stay here, particularly since this upgraded room on Friday night rang up at $289+?

The other traveler blacked out on the travel agency receipt was another staff member.

I checked on procedure and travelers are supposed to click on "yes, this trip claim is accurate and the expenses are appropriate".

I helped pay for this trip and I will put this out here if I want. It's public record. I can see a minor goof here and there but this was ridiculous. If the traveler or FCPS is upset I really don't care. If you don't like paying attention to your travel claims and working within the limits set by the county, and having your travel claim displayed for the world, then don't travel. Or pay for it yourself.

I am awaiting a copy of the reimbursement to the county. I hope it is significant. Somehow, I doubt it.
Attachments:
Kannapell_Redacted.pdf

Posted by: Staff Development Office ()
Date: April 28, 2015 05:02PM

Posted by: Per diem ()
Date: April 28, 2015 05:06PM

Will FCPS up the per diem for trips to Baltimore to cover personal vehicles damaged by orange cones?

2800BCC900000578-3055695-image-a-13_1430

Posted by: 7$&85:8$ ()
Date: April 28, 2015 05:08PM

Hazardous duty pay bonus is authorized effective immediately.

Date: April 28, 2015 05:13PM

Staff Development Office Wrote:
> http://pblworld.org/info

Can I check in the day my workshop or academy begins?

Yes, but it will be more efficient and enjoyable (wine and refreshments) if you attend the check-in reception Sunday night (June 21) from 3:30 p.m.-7:00 p.m. at the Napa Valley Marriott.
-------------------------------------------
Wouldn't want to miss this, for sure.

Date: April 28, 2015 05:17PM

Will all the sessions be taught in English?

Yes.

It is a shame that you have to ask any more.

Date: April 28, 2015 05:21PM

If I bring my family with me will there be things for them to do?

The city Napa has a wonderful system of public parks. The Napa Premium Outlets is a prime destination for those who like to shop. Napa is within 30 minutes of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and with 60-75 minutes of San Francisco. Napa Valley.Com offers a wide variety of options to keep your family busy and entertained.

Posted by: hotwyre.com ()
Date: April 30, 2015 09:36AM

The county was reimbursed only $89 for the above per diem issue. This is weak but not surprising. What about the fancy hotel room, included meals, etc.? Since when do we pay for a suite (maybe with a Jacuzzi) when a plain room will do just fine and that is what everybody else stayed in? Since when do we pay way over per diem when we are providing a great big vehicle for staff members to get to and from a conference and there are plenty of less expensive hotels a few miles down the road at most?
Attachments:
Reimbursement for travel claim_Redacted.pdf

Posted by: zagatte ()
Date: May 01, 2015 08:49PM

Here's another great trip story.
The School Board went to New Orleans for a National School Boards Convention. The Chairman of the Board took them off per diem one night, plunked down the county credit card, and they blew $63 a person on dinner. The receipt is incredible. Looks marvelous. The Chairman put the meals for three spouses on the county card. We were reimbursed.

I guess this was a "special function". Special function my eye. They were at a conference and wanted a fancy dinner and wanted us to pay for it.

Does anybody else have a problem with this?
Attachments:
neworleans.htm
NSBA Dinner.pdf

Posted by: 965tfd ()
Date: May 02, 2015 06:54AM

FCPS employees caught abusing travel funds should be fired and prosecuted for theft, no two ways about it.

Posted by: zagatte ()
Date: May 02, 2015 07:46AM

zagatte Wrote:
> Here's another great trip story.
> The School Board went to New Orleans for a
> National School Boards Convention. The Chairman of
> the Board took them off per diem one night,
> plunked down the county credit card, and they blew
> $63 a person on dinner. The receipt is incredible.
> Looks marvelous. The Chairman put the meals for
> three spouses on the county card. We were
> reimbursed.
>
> I guess this was a "special function". Special
> function my eye. They were at a conference and
> wanted a fancy dinner and wanted us to pay for
> it.
>
> Does anybody else have a problem with this?

Actually it was $61 a person. We got a deal.

Date: May 20, 2015 08:54AM

More fun with per diem out in Napa. June, 2013. PBL World. 13 more travelers' claims were pulled after looking at Kannapell's claim.

Employee was paid for breakfast and lunch per diem for five days when it was included with the conference. There is a conference brochure included clearly stating this. 5 X $27=$135. Travel regulations prohibit being paid for meals that are included in a conference. Don't know what to do about the 6/22 per diem. The flight landed at 12:40 am that day. Maybe a stop at Denny's on the way home from the airport?

The lodging entry shows $614.20 but the actual bill was for about $1020. Just within the 150% per diem limit. Five nights. Traveler flew out early and incurred an additional two nights stay at their own expense.

This traveler managed to catch the 4:25pm flight back Friday evening and we did not have to pay for the hotel for 6/21, unlike Kannapell's trip, where we got socked for over $300 for that extra night, plus an extra day of food per diem. Thank goodness for that, at least.

Ms. Kannapell owes us for more per diem since two meals a day were included with the conference. We only got reimbursed for one day of per diem plus one meal.

I would not want to be working in the travel section right now because there are several more claims like these that will be posted later on. You can't be paid for per diem for days you don't travel. You can't be paid per diem when you travel out early or stay on for personal reasons. You can't be paid per diem for meals included with a conference. Come on, people. When you turn in your claims you acknowledge that they are correct.
Attachments:
Poole_Redacted.pdf

Date: May 20, 2015 10:51AM

Here is another fun one. Napa. June, 2013.

The conference started on 6/17. The traveler went out early and claimed per diem for 6/15. Traveler claimed per diem for breakfast X 5 M-F, plus lunch on Friday. These were all included in the conference. So, we are owed at least $149 back.

There are more.................
Attachments:
Rodeheaver_Redacted.pdf

Date: May 20, 2015 12:35PM

Here is the regulation that was in effect at the time of these trips. Page 5.
If meals are included in the event, no per diem is paid. This regulation has been long-standing. Nothing new here. The date on it is 2007. No excuses.
Attachments:
R5310[1].pdf

Posted by: or-bits ()
Date: May 20, 2015 01:01PM

Another wonderful week in Napa. June, 2013.
Ms. Thomas owes us for breakfast and lunch X 5=$135. Was also paid for breakfast 6/22 when the plane was due in at 12:40am. This traveler flew out two days early also.
The claim show a hotel amount of $614, which is half of the PO on file, which is not matching the amount on the hotel receipt, which has Poole's name on it. If they shared a room it would have been $510 each. The PO amount would have covered six nights. The travel arrangements only required five nights. Your guess is as good as mine.
Attachments:
Thomas_Redacted.pdf

Posted by: the bottomless money pit ()
Date: May 20, 2015 01:09PM

We pay Flippen, Jensen, and the rest of the consultants. We pay for travel to all sorts of places. We pay for meals, cabs, room upgrades, and who knows what else.

Oh yes, we pay for Karen Garza's housing allowance.

But the truth of the matter is this, the kids aren't learning. Flippen claims to capture their hearts, Jensen claims to show us how to teach in poverty, but it just isn't working.

Date: May 20, 2015 01:18PM

More mysteries. The credit card receipt shows Blankenship flew out on 6/15 (Saturday) for a conference that started on 6/17. She charged us for per diem on 6/15, but only dinner, and at the reduced rate. No lunch or breakfast on 6/16 was charged out (how they do first and last day of travel is all over the map). This traveler also had to stay Friday night when the conference ended at noon and we got soaked for another night of hotel, etc.

We did NOT get charged for breakfast and lunch, which was refreshing to see. Remember, this hotel also had breakfast included in the room rate. There were TWO options for breakfast that were already paid for.

There are some names on the PO for the conference fees that didn't show up on the 25 page printout. I don't have the slightest idea where their claims are.
Attachments:
Blankenship_Redacted.pdf

Date: May 20, 2015 02:31PM

This one is a mess. The 25 page printout showed the travel was 6/21-28/2013. To the infamous Napa location. That was a tipoff.

The payment voucher is different than the others. The trips were supposed to be reconciled within 30-45 days via online travel. Beyond that, the approval of an Assistant Super was required. The voucher is dated 8/28/23 for a trip that finished 6/22 (NOT 6/28). Dr. Banbury's (principal) signature is not dated. Dr. Zuluaga's (Super) signature is dated 12/17/2013. SIX MONTHS after the trip. The trip estimate shows the travel dates as 6/21-28/2013 (?).

The standard brochure shows the conference dates as 6/17-21/2013.

The credit card statement shows the traveler left 6/15. The travel agent receipt was on another traveler's travel claim and supports this date. The hotel receipt shows 6/16 arrival and 6/22 checkout. Again, this traveler could not make arrangements for a Friday evening flight home so we had to pay for another hotel night and more food per diem. And the rates went up Friday night. Way over the 150%. Great.

At least we didn't get soaked for breakfast and lunch per diem M-F.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Fege, Herring, Klimenko, Moore, Nocco, and Thayer are in the mail. I can't wait.
Attachments:
Eddy_Redacted.pdf

Posted by: 895433)#465t ()
Date: May 20, 2015 03:15PM

965tfd Wrote:
> FCPS employees caught abusing travel funds should
> be fired and prosecuted for theft, no two ways
> about it.

Date: May 20, 2015 03:42PM

hotwyre.com Wrote:
> Here is another fun one. Napa. June, 2013.
>
> The conference started on 6/17. The traveler went
> out early and claimed per diem for 6/15. Traveler
> claimed per diem for breakfast X 5 M-F, plus lunch
> on Friday. These were all included in the
> conference. So, we are owed at least $149 back.
>
> There are more.................

Rodeheaver owes us even more. She used San Francisco as the destination when the destination was actually Napa. Food per diem was $5 less per day in Napa. Blankenship did the same thing. Eddy started to and then somebody caught it and decreased the rate to Napa.

Posted by: travelahcitee ()
Date: May 21, 2015 08:25AM

Here's another one who thinks they are entitled to per diem on Sunday when the plane brings them home on Saturday. This employee was also paid San Francisco per diem instead of Napa per diem.
Attachments:
McCulla_Redacted.pdf

Posted by: travelahcitee ()
Date: May 21, 2015 08:32AM

Another one paid for San Francisco instead of Napa and also claimed a full day of per diem on the final day of travel instead 75%.
Attachments:
Murphy_Redacted.pdf

Posted by: P7lkD ()
Date: May 21, 2015 05:11PM

I would be fired for submitting travel claims like this. Will there be any recoupment of these funds?

Posted by: Timothy M. ()
Date: May 23, 2015 11:58AM

This is so blatant. Sad.

Posted by: Project Based Learning? ()
Date: May 23, 2015 12:14PM

When these people go to Novato, they're going to the Buck Institute for Education.

It teaches something called "project based learning" (whatever that is). But hey, the county also spends money on Eric Jensen's "brain based learning" and "teaching with poverty in mind" (whatever these are) as well as Flip Flippen's "capturing kids' hearts" (whatever that is).

How much of this do we really need? How much of it can we really afford? If the school board thinks this is going to keep happening, sure there's a billion dollar shortfall or whatever the number is.

There's probably "retraining" as well. A teacher at school x where they do "brain based learning" is going to be all at sea after a transfer to school y, which just happens to be a "project based learning" school.

Posted by: 56%^78#$ ()
Date: May 23, 2015 03:22PM

Project Based Learning? Wrote:
> When these people go to Novato, they're going to
> the Buck Institute for Education.
>
> It teaches something called "project based
> learning" (whatever that is). But hey, the county
> also spends money on Eric Jensen's "brain based
> learning" and "teaching with poverty in mind"
> (whatever these are) as well as Flip Flippen's
> "capturing kids' hearts" (whatever that is).
>
> How much of this do we really need? How much of it
> can we really afford? If the school board thinks
> this is going to keep happening, sure there's a
> billion dollar shortfall or whatever the number
> is.
>
> There's probably "retraining" as well. A teacher
> at school x where they do "brain based learning"
> is going to be all at sea after a transfer to
> school y, which just happens to be a "project
> based learning" school.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project-based_learning

Some people criticize it as promoting "social loafing". In other words, the kids form groups, and some kids very quickly figure out who is going to do all of the work, and then they slack. And the teacher can't factor this in to the grades, because the group outcome is what is judged, and it is very difficult to see what is going on behind the scenes. And the outcome is due to a select few whose parents don't allow them to slack. Any parent of a smart, responsible child can tell you this story. They get sick of being used. Some request to do all the work for themselves and be left out of the group project because it is easier than working like a dog, having unreliable kids not do their part, enduring last-minute crises (all-nighters) due to kids who don't do their part because they know the good kids will eventually do it, etc. The kids end up fighting about the work because what these slackers don't do affects the final grade and impacts the others who do all the work.

We paid how much for this?

Maybe they did some project based learning on how to do up their travel claims, since their methods were similar.

Posted by: rewarding lazy kids ()
Date: May 23, 2015 04:04PM

The lazy kids coast until the SOLs and SATs come along. Then they fail.

Then when they can't even get into NVCC, the parents piss and moan. But then it is too late.

All along the way, these consultants make fortunes and the school board, led by the stupid Tammy Kaufax and the degenerate Ryan McElveen, cry for more and more money.

Posted by: 7865 ()
Date: May 24, 2015 05:05PM

rewarding lazy kids Wrote:
> The lazy kids coast until the SOLs and SATs come
> along. Then they fail.
>
> Then when they can't even get into NVCC, the
> parents piss and moan. But then it is too late.
>
> All along the way, these consultants make fortunes
> and the school board, led by the stupid Tammy
> Kaufax and the degenerate Ryan McElveen, cry for
> more and more money.

How did the topic get changed? I thought this thread was about school employees submitting what look to be fraudulent travel claims..........

Posted by: yes a change ()
Date: May 24, 2015 07:02PM

Yes, employees do file false claims.

But it is all part of a bigger picture. The travel to Novato is to the Buck Institute. Just another "source" of some "method" to make FCPS better. The only "better" is Buck's bank account.

In addition to Buck, we have Flippen, Jensen, Scamsen, who knows who else?

As long as the money flows so freely it is not surprising that FCPS employees dip in for some after all, we are paying self described "psychotherapists" and "poverty experts" huge amounts of money. The teachers don't get raises, so the temptation and in their mind, justification is there.

Pretty soon, FCPS just won't have any money. The new board of supervisors and school board we're getting in November will see to that.

In the meantime, keep posting the fraudulent travel. The extent of the waste needs to be known and it is HIGH TIME the filers of these reports are fired or even prosecuted to the extent of the law!

Posted by: land of fruits & nuts ()
Date: May 25, 2015 09:15AM

yes a change Wrote:
> Yes, employees do file false claims.
>
> But it is all part of a bigger picture. The travel
> to Novato is to the Buck Institute. Just another
> "source" of some "method" to make FCPS better. The
> only "better" is Buck's bank account.
>
> In addition to Buck, we have Flippen, Jensen,
> Scamsen, who knows who else?
>
> As long as the money flows so freely it is not
> surprising that FCPS employees dip in for some
> after all, we are paying self described
> "psychotherapists" and "poverty experts" huge
> amounts of money. The teachers don't get raises,
> so the temptation and in their mind, justification
> is there.
>
> Pretty soon, FCPS just won't have any money. The
> new board of supervisors and school board we're
> getting in November will see to that.
>
> In the meantime, keep posting the fraudulent
> travel. The extent of the waste needs to be known
> and it is HIGH TIME the filers of these reports
> are fired or even prosecuted to the extent of the
> law!

Was there travel to Novato? This group went to Napa. Not the same thing.

Posted by: waste, waste, waste ()
Date: May 25, 2015 11:44AM

The simple fact of the matter is that this travel is a waste of money. The teachers go for all this training and the schools still suck.

Posted by: mnshutfstfs ()
Date: June 03, 2015 08:33AM

Date: June 03, 2015 09:11AM

mnshutfstfs Wrote:
> http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Town-s-Free
> -Spending-Good-Ol-Boys-Exposed-by-2923769.php
>
> Read and heed.

This is why I prefer that restaurant receipts be submitted even if per diem is the policy. They help to prove where they have been and when. Of course, you can just say you didn't eat and still collect per diem, while you are basking at the pool and frolicking about instead of attending the conference.

So, I say people should only be reimbursed if receipts are provided, and then only up to the per diem limits. With additional restrictions to prevent taking a while family to dinner on per diem. It is worth the money paid to process them.

You can also mandate that the attendees provide proof that they were actually at the conference, like having a conference official stamp in and out on their record. I have seen that used.

Posted by: Last Line Is The Best ()
Date: June 03, 2015 09:48AM

"The well's run dry."

Karen Garza, Ryan McElveen, Tammy Kaufax and the rest need to understand this.

The idea doesn't just apply to travel, but also to unjustified sole source contracts (Eric Jensen), consultants with unverified credentials (Menville "Flip" Flippen), and "initiatives" based on dubious claims (Tara Brach/"mindfulness").

Date: June 03, 2015 02:01PM

I like the part about handing some people a credit card is like handing a grenade to a monkey. There are a lot of monkeys in FCPS and a lot of credit cards. It is like Monopoly money to them.

I think a lot of people should have their pcards taken away from them immediately. Have them pay for everything out of their own pocket, then beg to be reimbursed.

We would save a fortune. The effect of this would be seen immediately.

Posted by: The Gatehouse Zoo ()
Date: June 03, 2015 02:20PM

Karen Garza is a Texas cow, Ryan McElveen is a baboon and I'm not sure what species Tammy Kaufax is.

But they all have hand grenades that's for sure.

Posted by: disney world.....lol ()
Date: June 03, 2015 04:01PM

I would like to see more Orlando trips.

Posted by: 09875237645 ()
Date: June 03, 2015 07:39PM

mnshutfstfs Wrote:
> http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Town-s-Free
> -Spending-Good-Ol-Boys-Exposed-by-2923769.php
>
> Read and heed.

This is a classic. Sad.

Posted by: tripadvizer.com ()
Date: June 08, 2015 04:42PM

We have some per diem reimbursement for Napa. Thank you. You can't claim meals when they are included in a conference. When you acknowledge that your trip claim is correct, you need to mean it.
Attachments:
Travel Review Carson Middle_Redacted (4).pdf

Posted by: How to Handle It ()
Date: June 08, 2015 08:16PM

When an FCPS employee misrepresents something on a travel claim:

1st time: verbal reprimand, no travel for 3 months

2nd time: written reprimand, no travel for 6 months

3rd time: termination, FCPS takes legal action for fraud

Posted by: even better ()
Date: June 08, 2015 08:31PM

How to Handle It Wrote:
> When an FCPS employee misrepresents something on a
> travel claim:
>
> 1st time: verbal reprimand, no travel for 3
> months
>
> 2nd time: written reprimand, no travel for 6
> months
>
> 3rd time: termination, FCPS takes legal action for
> fraud

1. Verbal and written reprimand. Recoup all money. No travel for a good long time.

2. Verbal and written reprimand. Recoup all money. No travel for an even longer time.

3. Termination after money is recouped.

You can claim per diem if you have some special dietary issues even if meals are included with the conference. I seriously doubt this was the issue looking at the number of people who claimed meal per diem on this conference, plus the ones who claimed per diem on days they don't qualify for travel per diem have no excuse. This is just pathetic.

Posted by: the irony ()
Date: June 09, 2015 06:18AM

Filing a false or inflated travel claim is a crime. They are getting a wave of a finger and a wink instead of having their butts whacked. They submitted for county funds that they weren't entitled to, and The Almighty Powers are letting them get away w/ it. Our taxes at work...........

Posted by: Draconian Dunstan ()
Date: June 09, 2015 09:56AM

Something should also be done about the people who approve these travel claims.

It is one thing if a teacher or low level administrator tries to pull a fast one. It is quite something else when the people who approve these don't check them or just look the other way because they do the same thing.

It would be damned funny to see some pompous bitch like Angela "case closed" Atwater out of a job because of something like this.

Posted by: €€€€€ ()
Date: June 10, 2015 01:03PM

€€€€€

Posted by: More Waste ()
Date: June 12, 2015 03:44PM

FCPS created an auditor position in 2014. It remains unfilled. I wonder why? Could it be that contractor kickbacks and Boosterthon "focus group" trips to Atlanta might be scrutinized?

The Board of Supervisors needs to cut the FCPS budget, and substantially, until Karen Garza (or her successor) develop, and demonstrate, some form of fiscal discipline.

Posted by: <--------> ()
Date: June 22, 2015 09:22AM

Any travel plans this summer?

Posted by: good idea ()
Date: June 22, 2015 10:49AM

"I like the part about handing some people a credit card is like handing a grenade to a monkey. There are a lot of monkeys in FCPS and a lot of credit cards. It is like Monopoly money to them.

I think a lot of people should have their pcards taken away from them immediately. Have them pay for everything out of their own pocket, then beg to be reimbursed.

We would save a fortune. The effect of this would be seen immediately."

This is a good idea.

Most of the people going to these conferences are not teachers. They are central office staff or administrators in schools. They are paid above a teacher salary and can afford to use their own funds and then be reimbursed later (after a very careful review of the expenses).

Many of these conferences count for credential recertification as well. The average teacher has to pay for college courses, etc. to recertify. They don't get the advantage of going to conferences that are paid for.

Teacher morale is low as it is.

Posted by: monkey cage ()
Date: June 23, 2015 07:44AM

Posted by: Want to go? ()
Date: July 18, 2015 07:06PM

Posted by: gfdg ()
Date: July 18, 2015 07:15PM

Posted by: boo ()
Date: July 23, 2015 02:56PM

Why do they want to cut spending?

Posted by: boo HOO ()
Date: July 23, 2015 03:09PM

boo Wrote:
> Why do they want to cut spending?

Cut spending on what?

Posted by: M.hall ()
Date: July 27, 2015 02:10PM

Any new report? I just asked for South Korea

Posted by: vcxcv ()
Date: July 27, 2015 07:26PM

M.hall Wrote:
> Any new report? I just asked for South Korea

They have a month or so to turn in their travel claims. Depending on when they went, it might not be ready.

Posted by: ecksedia.com ()
Date: August 26, 2015 11:41AM

Model Schools conference June 2014, Orlando.
Remember, about 100 people went.

The hotel per diem rate was $101. We paid a whopping $219. A LOT of people stayed there. There is a shuttle between all Disney hotels supposedly.

Breakfast (coffee and pastry) was included with the conference. No per diem was claimed.

Good price on the roundtrip ticket.

We paid for two suitcases each way for a three day trip. $120 total. That is a lot of clothing for one person for a 3 day trip in warm weather.

We paid $76 for a cab ride to the hotel. It was at about 1am, so pickings are probably slim at that hour. We also paid for a $22 shuttle. It looks like the traveler did use the economy lot at Dulles ($10 per day) rather than pulling into hourly parking (at $40+ per day) like another person did.
Attachments:
Atwater_Redacted6.14Orlando.pdf

Posted by: McLeanSoccerDad ()
Date: September 26, 2015 02:46PM

Some things NEVER change - editorial from 2012:

At the Fairfax School Board's May 15th budget hearing, citizens testified about the lack of competitive bidding and conflicts of interest as FCPS awarded contracts worth hundreds of thousands of dollars to private education consultants. In some cases, contracts to the same vendor were split in order to remain under the $50,000 threshold required for School Board review.

In one egregious example, confirmed by emails released under the Freedom of Information Act, the president of Arcasun LLC was paid $11,000 by the campaign of then-School Board Chairwoman Jane Strauss last November. She was then awarded a $35,000 contract the following January, even though she did not have a county business license. The businesswoman, Shaista Keating, also wrote the same Request For Proposals that she successfully bid on and failed to disclose that she was in contract negotiations with FCPS while acting as a "parent representative" during the school system's FY13 budget hearings.

"When vendors start writing their own statements of work, sitting in on FCPS budget discussions when they are negotiating contracts with FCPS, and when over 50 staff are doing their best to circumvent the rules, we have a problem," a concerned citizen noted in a recent letter to Fairfax supervisors.

FCPS indeed has a problem, and it's not a lack of money.

Posted by: quid pro quo? ()
Date: September 26, 2015 03:53PM

McLeanSoccerDad Wrote:
> Some things NEVER change - editorial from 2012:
>
> At the Fairfax School Board's May 15th budget
> hearing, citizens testified about the lack of
> competitive bidding and conflicts of interest as
> FCPS awarded contracts worth hundreds of thousands
> of dollars to private education consultants. In
> some cases, contracts to the same vendor were
> split in order to remain under the $50,000
> threshold required for School Board review.
>
> In one egregious example, confirmed by emails
> released under the Freedom of Information Act, the
> president of Arcasun LLC was paid $11,000 by the
> campaign of then-School Board Chairwoman Jane
> Strauss last November. She was then awarded a
> $35,000 contract the following January, even
> though she did not have a county business license.
> The businesswoman, Shaista Keating, also wrote the
> same Request For Proposals that she successfully
> bid on and failed to disclose that she was in
> contract negotiations with FCPS while acting as a
> "parent representative" during the school system's
> FY13 budget hearings.
>
> "When vendors start writing their own statements
> of work, sitting in on FCPS budget discussions
> when they are negotiating contracts with FCPS, and
> when over 50 staff are doing their best to
> circumvent the rules, we have a problem," a
> concerned citizen noted in a recent letter to
> Fairfax supervisors.
>
> FCPS indeed has a problem, and it's not a lack of
> money.

For those who live in Dranesville district, please note that Ms. Keating led the full day K push. It appears that there may have been a "quid pro quo" as Ms Keating and her group became quite vocal supporters of Ms Strauss as the election drew near. Prior to this, Strauss had never done anything much to push for full day K for her constituents. Ms Keating's company was paid $11,000 by Janie's campaign. I'm not sure what they did, but, one thing for sure, Ms Keating used her "bully pulpit" for full day K to promote Strauss. Did she do anything other than endorse her for the $11,000?
I was aware of this action. I did not realize that she also wrote the requirements for a contract bid with FCPS.

This seems more clear than the McDonnell offenses.

Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.