HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3
FCPS non-local travel report
Posted by: eckspedia.com ()
Date: January 20, 2015 09:10PM

There have been a lot of comments about travel for FCPS employees. Here is a listing for about 15 months of non-local travel as reported by FCPS. There might be other money pots that don't show up here. I saw that some travel was paid from ECA's. I don't know if all the travel is captured or not.

They were requested to do a printout of name, where they went, what the dates were, and the total amount of the claim.

If you are interested in more details, shoot an e-mail to Brandynn Reaves at bareaves@fcps.edu and you can get copies of the full travel claim showing all receipts, hotel, per diem, etc. Any citizen of Virginia can do this as long as they aren't in jail, so have at it.

Looks like there WAS a group that went to Orlando in June 2014 as per another thread.
Attachments:
FOIA NonLocalTravelFY14.pdf

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS non-local travel report
Posted by: Boondogle extradinaire ()
Date: January 20, 2015 09:21PM

Looks like half the school system went to Orlando

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: January 20, 2015 09:26PM

No it doesn’t It looks like one out of the group went to Orlando.

Date: January 21, 2015 06:24AM

causeican Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No it doesn’t It looks like one out of the
> group went to Orlando.

Well, the money went to Orlando. For like 100 people. One person claimed over $4000 for the trip.

Posted by: Clicker ()
Date: January 21, 2015 12:17PM

causeican Wrote:
> No it doesn’t It looks like one out of the
> group went to Orlando.

Open the attachment,,,,,,,

Posted by: Teacher ()
Date: January 21, 2015 09:16PM

That is disgusting. What a ridiculous amount of money to be spending on people who have little to nothing to do with students. No wonder FCPS is going downhill at light speed.

Posted by: Teacher also ()
Date: January 21, 2015 11:44PM

That is disgusting. I would love to see a total. I am sure those numbers do not include the fees for "conferences" either; just travel expenses.

If you click on the short table that was posted it will open a 25 page long list of names and expenses.

Posted by: Eckspedia.com ()
Date: January 22, 2015 08:24AM

Depending on what equipment you are using, you either see something to open, or a page of material that if you click on it to open it, shows the other 24 pages. The details of each claim are readily available. I have pulled these before and they did include conference fees, however, you would have to pull each individual claim in order to evaluate that, and I am not doing that. I might pull a few, but I am not doing all of these.

The Florida admin trip thread seemed to be a very hot topic, so I pulled this list. You are on your own to look any further. If you don't want your name on the FOIA request, ask a friend or family member who lives in Virginia to do it. I can see if you work for the school system that you would not want your name on these requests. That would be awkward, even though you have a right as a citizen to do that. People use other people to pull records all the time, such as people who live outside of Virginia and want some Virginia records. So, ask a friend to do the request. This is public information. Nothing clandestine or abusive at all about asking to see it. The public paid for this travel. These are public records and you can do whatever you want with these, including passing them on to whovever you want to and expressing your opinion freely.

I think people need to become more comfortable asking to see reports on the things they have paid for. I also think the school system needs to quit defensively circling the wagons and avoiding issues when people ask questions about records they receive and stand behind their work. They are spending OUR money. I paid my taxes. I presume most of the rest of you did, also. If you are on defense, then maybe you need to look at your spending practices. I stand behind every dollar I spend in my managing of a household. They can stand behind their work.

I counted up over 90 people who went to Orlando for the June 2014 conference, at a typical cost of between $1500 and $2000. Some claimed more, some less. So, that thread poster was NOT a troll. I just got very curious after reading the numerous heated responses on that thread and wanted to see if it was true. It was.

I also saw other travel reimbursements on ECA reports from the individual schools. They used non-appropriated public funds for it (parking pass fees, retained tuition, monopole income, etc.). I don't know if these are captured here or not.

Travel claims are very easy to obtain. Every dollar has to have support. Per diem, tickets, hotel, mileage, etc. are all there.

Bareaves@fcps.edu is your contact. You can ask for an estimate before they proceed. This printout was free. It is not redacted because nothing meets the requirements for exemption.

Date: January 22, 2015 09:10AM

FYI you don't have to give a reason for asking to see any records, either. You just tell them what you want, put your name and address on there, maybe specify how you want the information (on paper, e-mail, disc, etc.), submit it, and you should have your information within 12 working days. I asked for this before Christmas. The holidays and the snow days slowed it way down.

Verbal requests for information also count, but written is better because you have a clear record. You also have the right to walk in, hold out your hand, and ask to see the records on the spot. This can be very disruptive as they need to be researched, checked for redaction, etc. But, depending on the situation, you can indeed exercise your rights with verbal and walk-in.

You then have 30 days to pay any bill. The clock starts on the date of the bill.

Posted by: here we go again ()
Date: January 22, 2015 11:13AM

Oh Barb.

Posted by: Counting beans ()
Date: January 22, 2015 11:56AM

The total is about 1.2 million dollars over 15 months.

Posted by: Counting beans ()
Date: January 22, 2015 12:56PM

The one Orlando trip alone (June 2014) tallied up at around $160,000.
$80,000 per month was the average.

Posted by: brrrrrrrrrrrrrr ()
Date: January 23, 2015 08:04PM

Rain, sleet, ice, snow. Let's all go to San Di-e-go!!!!!

Posted by: it was expensive ()
Date: January 29, 2015 04:21PM

Here are some charges for the Model Schools conference. This was a hot topic last summer.

Yes it was Model Schools, yes it was expensive.

$475 per person registration fee. This claim had payments for several people with it, explaining the high numbers.

The Swan ran $258 a night. GSA hotel only for Orlando in June was $115 a night, with approval of a Superintendent required to go over 150%, which would be about $173 a night.
Attachments:
Model Schools Charges_Redactedperi.pdf

Posted by: it was expensive ()
Date: January 29, 2015 04:54PM

The conference special room rate at The Swan was $229 plus taxes and fees. Comparable.

Posted by: gsa correction ()
Date: January 29, 2015 05:00PM

Correction-hotel GSA in June 2014 was $101 for Orlando. 150% would be $151.50.

Posted by: zerrobenefit ()
Date: January 29, 2015 05:01PM

Does any parent or teacher think any Fairfax County student will learn any more or be any better off because FCPS teachers and staff made all these trips?

The answer is no. Of course not. These are boondoggles and professional masturbation. It is an insult to everyone who pays taxes in Fairfax County or who has children in the schools.

Thank you for hunting up this info.

Date: January 29, 2015 05:49PM

Any specific requests? You can do your own but if you are too chicken or if it is too awkward I will do a few.

I wonder what was so exciting in Grand Rapids. Not your typical hot spot.

The public bought these. Don't be shy.

Posted by: Junec23 ()
Date: January 29, 2015 07:02PM

Pull the travel for June 22, 2014 to the 25 th.

So many people went to the Model Conference. Amy Beck went; bragged about it in her social media account

Date: January 30, 2015 06:35AM

Junec23 Wrote:
> Pull the travel for June 22, 2014 to the 25 th.
>
> So many people went to the Model Conference. Amy
> Beck went; bragged about it in her social media
> account

The list received for June 22-25, 2014 did not have Amy Beck on it.

Posted by: its for the children..... ()
Date: January 30, 2015 08:12AM

If Fairfax is supposedly the premier system in the country it claims to be, why don't educators come here to learn rather than sending FCPS personnel to classes in Las Vegas , Orlando etc.?? I think we all know the real reason why. Please don't plead poverty at budget time when you are sending people on vacations.

Posted by: Come on----- ()
Date: January 30, 2015 09:54AM

The Swan and Dove looks like something out of a Middle Eastern fantasy movie. They have a water taxi, a whole store, tacky enormous sculpture, marble this and that, a dock, a sandy beach, a huge pool, a waterfall, you name it. You can easily arrange for a limo.

When we went to Disney we stayed at the Country Inn and suites. Didn't look anything like this. Oh yeh-we paid for it ourselves.

Posted by: come on---------- ()
Date: January 30, 2015 10:51AM

Swan and Dolphin. My bad. Same glitzy atmosphere.

Posted by: KndjiuyJH ()
Date: January 30, 2015 04:24PM

Posted by: Be jetty ()
Date: January 30, 2015 04:45PM

Did that list have Mary Mcnamee?

Posted by: Come on----------- ()
Date: January 30, 2015 06:09PM

Posted by: MexVD ()
Date: January 30, 2015 08:13PM

The Democrats run the local school system.

They're all a bunch of crooks.

Date: January 30, 2015 10:25PM

Be jetty Wrote:
> Did that list have Mary Mcnamee?

Her name doesn't seem to be on the printout. Open the attachment and go back to June 2014. I don't know if there are other records that don't show up here or not.

Posted by: priorities backass ()
Date: January 31, 2015 09:22AM

This is from another thread and pretty much sums up the situation from the viewpoint of many teachers:

"FCPS should be in the practice of attracting effective teachers and staying out of their way in the classroom.

I came to FCPS because the salary/benefits were attractive and I had the opportunity to work with bright students. Getting in was competitive. I'm not certain that those coming after me are experiencing the same."

Posted by: Tenorita ()
Date: January 31, 2015 10:30AM

What year did you join F
C
P
S?
> This is from another thread and pretty much sums
> up the situation from the viewpoint of many
> teachers:
>
> "FCPS should be in the practice of attracting
> effective teachers and staying out of their way in
> the classroom.
>
> I came to FCPS because the salary/benefits were
> attractive and I had the opportunity to work with
> bright students. Getting in was competitive. I'm
> not certain that those coming after me are
> experiencing the same."

Posted by: Event planner ()
Date: January 31, 2015 11:55AM

It looks like Fcps could have saved a bit by
1. Keeping everybody home, or-
2. Have everybody stay at a place that was $100 plus cheaper a night, and running shuttles. 100 people times 100+ is $10,000+ a day. That buys a lot of shuttles. The early morning would probably be the Big Crunch. Run more then, then cut back frequency later on.

Life is rough when you have a supposed budget crisis.

Posted by: the reality ()
Date: January 31, 2015 12:06PM

Event planner Wrote:
> It looks like Fcps could have saved a bit by
> 1. Keeping everybody home, or-
> 2. Have everybody stay at a place that was $100
> plus cheaper a night, and running shuttles. 100
> people times 100+ is $10,000+ a day. That buys a
> lot of shuttles. The early morning would probably
> be the Big Crunch. Run more then, then cut back
> frequency later on.
>
> Life is rough when you have a supposed budget
> crisis.

Budget crisis only occurs at Budget time. There is never really a crisis because FCPS never gets told "No"

Posted by: how the crisis works ()
Date: January 31, 2015 04:53PM

^ The crisis is only for teachers who cannot get the supplies they need because there is not enough money.

^The crisis also hits the parents when they are asked to pony up for tissues for the classroom and money for materials that the school cannot afford (not to mention all the school supplies at the beginning of the school year).

The crisis never hits those in central office who "need" to go to conferences (especially conferences in Orlando, New Orleans, etc.).

Posted by: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ()
Date: January 31, 2015 07:32PM

Thanks for explaining the fake crisis to all of us.

Posted by: Napololy ()
Date: February 01, 2015 08:30PM

Many teachers will leave the county this year.

This guy sums it up.,

http://www.schoolleadership20.com/m/blogpost?id=1990010%3ABlogPost%3A205389

Posted by: School De-segreg-ation ()
Date: February 01, 2015 08:41PM

Where is Waynesboro? Is that in Fairfax County? Cause this thread is all about Fairfax County.

Posted by: mapkwest ()
Date: February 01, 2015 08:56PM

Waynesboro is near Staunton. I think the problems in teaching are universal. Maybe some people need to go to a conference on how to best retain teachers.

Posted by: interesting ()
Date: February 03, 2015 05:29AM

Well over 90% of the names on this list are principals or high ranking staff who work at Gatehouse or the Ridge. It appears unseemly that the high ticket trips to New Orleans and Orlando would be taken by so very many - and during the summer or break times when off the radar of lower ranking employees. It probably would have been cheaper to host the Orlando conference here in the DC area than to ship so many to Disney World. Would love to know what they learned in NAPA? Perhaps nuances of wine tasting? Do think that the cost of these trips should be closely looked at as class size grows and employee compensation is relatively stagnant.

Date: February 03, 2015 07:12AM

Hosting the Orlando conference in DC was not an FCPS decision. This conference was run by a private firm. I don't know who any of the people on this list are. The Florida admin trip struck a real nerve in a lot of people, there was talk of it being a fake thread, so I thought it might be interesting to take a look.

It wasn't a fake thread, was it?

Posted by: ?!?#@4 ()
Date: February 03, 2015 08:03AM

For field trips, I now usually the students pay their way. It makes sense for some of these that the teachers would get reimbursed for their travel though, just like with any job.

Does this also include travel for sports coaches going to tournaments out of the area?

Date: February 03, 2015 08:44AM

I don't know about the tournaments. Most of these don't look like tournament places. They look like conference places. I would bet the tournament travel is paid out of other funds. I saw references to reimbursement for that type of travel in individual school activity funds. I also saw conference expenses paid out of individual school activity funds, so there might be travel that doesn't show up on this report.

Students generally pay their own way on field trips. Major and minor.

I think the issue that is striking a nerve with some is that there are some people who are upset at spending $80,000+ a month on travel (probably mostly for conferences, and it sounds like it is for Admins) when people haven't been getting raises, class sizes keep getting bigger, they say they are broke, they are trimming classroom supplies and forcing electronic textbooks that a lot of people hate (try having four kids do their homework in the evening when you only have one computer) to save money, and teachers have to pick up their own mandatory continuing ed. Apparently they are offered some free or discounted continuing ed options (locally). This is what I have gleaned from some of the other threads and talking with a few staff members.

I know I have to pay for my own mandatory continuing ed at my non-government job, however, I can do it for free online. My employer pays for an online service. If I want to go to a conference, I have to pay for it myself. But, I am very low on the totem pole. So, this is nothing exclusive to the school system.

There are about a dozen trip reports coming in the next two weeks. Stay tuned and speak up here!

Date: February 04, 2015 05:13PM

Another Model Schools trip. This hotel was about $190 per night for two nights. I am still looking for the $70 "reimbursement". It looks like this Superintendent was able to get to and from this hotel to the conference without incurring any charges for the school system. No rental car, no cab. Just airport transfers. Per diem was paid for the M and I.
Attachments:
Zuluaga Travel Doc_Redacted.pdf

Posted by: Jk ()
Date: February 04, 2015 06:49PM

eckspedia.com Wrote:
> Another Model Schools trip. This hotel was about
> $190 per night for two nights. I am still looking
> for the $70 "reimbursement". It looks like this
> Superintendent was able to get to and from this
> hotel to the conference without incurring any
> charges for the school system. No rental car, no
> cab. Just airport transfers. Per diem was paid for
> the M and I.

Why did the plane ticket cost $400 more than the other guy's? $657 for a round trip ticket to Orlando? We got ripped off. There is lots of competition with airfare to Orlando.

Posted by: Eckspedia.com ()
Date: February 04, 2015 07:17PM

The transfer was actually between the Dolphin and the hotel the Superintendent was staying at, NOT an airport transfer. I don't see any airport transfers.

Date: February 09, 2015 12:41PM

Remember that I asked about the $70 JetBlue charge "reimbursed to FCPS" plus the $16 transfer fee? We have an $86 deposit. Better late than never.
Attachments:
Receipt for Zuluaga Deposit_Redacted (2).pdf

Date: February 09, 2015 12:57PM

eckspedia.com Wrote:
> Remember that I asked about the $70 JetBlue charge
> "reimbursed to FCPS" plus the $16 transfer fee?
> We have an $86 deposit. Better late than never.

Sequence of events-

The check and deposit slip were dated the day BEFORE my FOIA request to see clarification on those two amounts, but AFTER the request to see the actual trip claim material.

Posted by: LhjRd ()
Date: February 09, 2015 01:40PM

Oh------My--------God.

Date: February 10, 2015 10:09AM

Here is the travel regulation that was in place at the time all the trips were taken so you can refer to it while the trips are being posted. A revised one came out in December, 2014.

Lowest available coach fare has to be purchased.

If necessary staff can be reimbursed for a taxi or shuttle without a receipt if there is proof of the cost like a printed fare schedule.

Per diem for meals and hotel, etc. is explained here.
Attachments:
R5310[1].pdf

Posted by: It'sOnlyYourMoney ()
Date: February 10, 2015 01:20PM

Government at all levels is expert at one thing: Finding more ways to spend tax-dollars (YOUR MONEY). It's only your money, and the source seems unlimited to them, all they have to do is raise your taxes, so "why not spend away and live large?"
Attachments:
Pickpocket.jpg

Posted by: b umpo ()
Date: March 01, 2015 11:30PM

Uj9W3

Date: March 16, 2015 09:05AM

Let's look at a couple more trips to CA.

This one is to Napa. June of 2013.

Registration fee $2750.

Hotel GSA rate was $147. We paid $261.

There was something noted about renting a Suburban at a cost of over $1000, but it was not on this travel claim.
Attachments:
Kannapell_Redacted.pdf

Date: March 16, 2015 09:15AM

A trip to San Diego. Looks like it was about a Title 1 award presentation in 2/2014

Can anybody help me figure out the plane ticket? It looks like it was $719, we paid $964 on the claim, there was some conflicting change fee/credit information. This is quite a confusing set of receipts.

Two nights of hotel at $262 per night. Per diem rate was $142.

We paid $100 for transfers, etc. There is some information that looks like it was printed up in 2/2015. copyright is 2015. This trip was in 2014. They are allowed to pay for transfers, etc. off of a printed schedule in the absence of a receipt. The only amount pointed out is the $19 to Petco.

Looks like this maybe came out of Title 1 funds.

Congratulations on the award!
Attachments:
Tyler_Redacted.pdf

Date: March 16, 2015 11:50AM

eckspedia.com Wrote:
> Let's look at a couple more trips to CA.
>
> This one is to Napa. June of 2013.
>
> Registration fee $2750.
>
> Hotel GSA rate was $147. We paid $261.
>
> There was something noted about renting a Suburban
> at a cost of over $1000, but it was not on this
> travel claim.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Note-The traveler was apparently given $90 for breakfast per diem when a full breakfast was included in the room rate.
http://www.ascendcollection.com/hotel-napa-california-CAD37

Date: March 16, 2015 12:14PM

eckspedia.com Wrote:
> eckspedia.com Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Let's look at a couple more trips to CA.
> >
> > This one is to Napa. June of 2013.
> >
> > Registration fee $2750.
> >
> > Hotel GSA rate was $147. We paid $261.
> >
> > There was something noted about renting a
> Suburban
> > at a cost of over $1000, but it was not on this
> > travel claim.
> --------------
>
> Note-The traveler was apparently given $90 for
> breakfast per diem when a full breakfast was
> included in the room rate.
> http://www.ascendcollection.com/hotel-napa-califor
> nia-CAD37

More problems. The traveler checked out of the hotel on the 22nd, her flight was on the 22nd, but she was paid for per diem on the 23rd. It looks like the 22nd should have been at 75% per diem as per school system policy, with nothing on the 23rd.

Posted by: Well? ()
Date: March 16, 2015 01:16PM

Aside from the FFU, where do you intend to share this information and with whom?

Date: March 16, 2015 03:59PM

Anybody who reads this can do whatever they want with the information. If there is anything goofy I turn it back in to the school system.

It looks like they actually used the San Francisco GSA rates for Kannapell even though the hotel was in Napa. So, hotel GSA was $155, M and IE $71. I don't think anybody pays any attention to the hotel GSA rate anyway. They should.

Posted by: Tax Payer1 ()
Date: March 16, 2015 04:37PM

more infomation on the Philly Trip

Date: March 16, 2015 04:43PM

Here are two Philly trips for Tax Payer 1. I have not analyzed them yet. I only pulled about 12 or so.
Attachments:
Klenow_Redacted.pdf
Vienbergs_Redacted.pdf

Posted by: Ryan McElveenB ()
Date: March 16, 2015 04:50PM

McElveen, Ryan L 11/20/2013 11/22/2013 Williamsburg / York, VA $692.29

WHERE DID HE GO???

Posted by: QUESTIONN ()
Date: March 16, 2015 04:55PM

eckspedia.com Wrote:
> Here are two Philly trips for Tax Payer 1. I have
> not analyzed them yet. I only pulled about 12 or
> so.

How do I asked them for inffo?? I am going to see where Mr.Ryan and Ms.king went and where did the math team in FHS go

Date: March 16, 2015 04:56PM

eckspedia.com Wrote:
> Here are two Philly trips for Tax Payer 1. I have
> not analyzed them yet. I only pulled about 12 or
> so.
Thanks, as soon as I know what to say or how to say it I will ask them for the Seattle Washington trip, and the trip Ryan M took and the trip to Detroit the principal of mount vernon took

Posted by: eckspdia.com ()
Date: March 16, 2015 04:58PM

QUESTIONN Wrote:
> eckspedia.com Wrote:
> -----
> > Here are two Philly trips for Tax Payer 1. I
> have
> > not analyzed them yet. I only pulled about 12
> or
> > so.
>
>
> How do I asked them for inffo?? I am going to see
> where Mr.Ryan and Ms.king went and where did the
> math team in FHS go

You send an email to Brandynn.Reaves@fcps.edu. You ask for the travel claim and all supporting documents for the trips you are interested in. It helps to have some idea of who and when and where. You can try just asking in general terms but you will never know if "we don't have any records" is the full story or not. If you don't get enough information you ask for more.

Date: March 16, 2015 05:02PM

Here is a Seattle trip. I have not analyzed it yet.

One thing to remember about the School Board is that they are required to get state and national level training annually and we are required to pay for it. I don't know what the deal is with the Administrators.
Attachments:
Goldfarb_Redacted.pdf

Date: March 16, 2015 05:11PM

eckspedia.com Wrote:
> Here is a Seattle trip. I have not analyzed it
> yet.
>
> One thing to remember about the School Board is
> that they are required to get state and national
> level training annually and we are required to pay
> for it. I don't know what the deal is with the
> Administrators.

Which one do you want me to ask that you couldn't ask for yet"?

Date: March 16, 2015 05:46PM

I asked for 3 reports. How much did you have to pay for the reports in detail ?

eckspedia.com Wrote:
> There have been a lot of comments about travel for
> FCPS employees. Here is a listing for about 15
> months of non-local travel as reported by FCPS.
> There might be other money pots that don't show up
> here. I saw that some travel was paid from ECA's.
> I don't know if all the travel is captured or
> not.
>
> They were requested to do a printout of name,
> where they went, what the dates were, and the
> total amount of the claim.
>
> If you are interested in more details, shoot an
> e-mail to Brandynn Reaves at bareaves@fcps.edu and
> you can get copies of the full travel claim
> showing all receipts, hotel, per diem, etc. Any
> citizen of Virginia can do this as long as they
> aren't in jail, so have at it.
>
> Looks like there WAS a group that went to Orlando
> in June 2014 as per another thread.

Date: March 16, 2015 05:59PM

TaxPayer1-
The costs will vary widely. You can ask for an estimate up front before agreeing to the purchase.
I pulled about a dozen and as of now do not have a plan for future requests. That could change at any time. I have been busy and just haven't gotten around to these yet. Feel free to jump on in. I just wanted a sampling.

Date: March 16, 2015 06:15PM

Ryan McElveenB Wrote:
> McElveen, Ryan L 11/20/2013 11/22/2013
> Williamsburg / York, VA $692.29
>
>
> WHERE DID HE GO???

It looks like he went to Williamsburg......

Date: March 16, 2015 06:31PM

http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/104877

Here is the link to the GSA rates. The archived rates are in the left hand column. You have to make sure you have the right year.

Date: March 16, 2015 06:34PM

eckspedia.com Wrote:
> http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/104877
>
> Here is the link to the GSA rates. The archived
> rates are in the left hand column. You have to
> make sure you have the right year.

You can also pull up archived rates in the search by state section by entering in the year. Have at it!

Posted by: a dilemma--- ()
Date: March 16, 2015 08:13PM

eckspedia.com Wrote:
> Let's look at a couple more trips to CA.
>
> This one is to Napa. June of 2013.
>
> Registration fee $2750.
>
> Hotel GSA rate was $147. We paid $261.
>
> There was something noted about renting a Suburban
> at a cost of over $1000, but it was not on this
> travel claim.

If the room charge was $1634, why and how did the school system only pay $1085 of that?

Date: March 17, 2015 08:38AM

School Board member trip to New Orleans.

We looked at this trip on another thread. This trip to New Orleans was a National School Boards Association annual conference. Please remember that the School Board members are required to have state and national level training, and we are required to provide it. I am just focusing on trip details.

On another thread it was discovered that the chairman of the School Board used their county card and took about 15 people to a nice restaurant in NO and spent over $60 a person on dinner on this trip. Multiple courses. Three spouses had their meals paid for and the county was reimbursed immediately. The other School Board members do not carry county cards. I don't know what the rationalization was for taking everybody off per diem and using appropriated funds to go out for a fancy multi-course dinner. This traveler was not the Chairman and did not have a spouse that received a dinner that night. I picked this claim as it was one of the claims for this trip with the smallest payout. Thank you for that, Mrs. Reed.

Per diem for hotel in NO was $151, we paid $218 a night. Just within the 150% limit set by the school system. No breakfast per diem was paid. This hotel has free breakfast. The flight leaving NOVA allowed the traveler to have breakfast on their own expense. There are some other meals missing, including the one night they all went to Court of Two Sisters for the big soiree. If any meals are included in the conference staff are not to get per diem.

The hotel bill was paid directly by the county, as it should be. I did not see any reimbursement for getting to and from the local airport, but did see airport transfers in NO.
Attachments:
Reed_Redacted.pdf

Date: March 17, 2015 09:08AM

Here are the pages in the Governance manual for the School Board describing their continuing education requirements. The entire document can be found on the School Board website. I have no idea if there are any similar requirements for administrators. Anybody else know?
Attachments:
SchoolBoardGovernanceManual53_54.pdf

Date: March 17, 2015 10:17AM

eckspedia.com Wrote:
> School Board member trip to New Orleans.
>
> We looked at this trip on another thread. This
> trip to New Orleans was a National School Boards
> Association annual conference. Please remember
> that the School Board members are required to have
> state and national level training, and we are
> required to provide it. I am just focusing on trip
> details.
>
> I picked this claim as it was one of the claims for this trip with the
> smallest payout. Thank you for that, Mrs. Reed.

****Actually, the reason this had such a low final number was because they did not include the $700+ registration fee in the claim report. The receipt is in the records.

Date: March 19, 2015 08:01AM

Took a look at the Klenow claim.

The AVID registration fee was handwritten in at $795, but the invoice calculates it out at $669 per person, and the $795 is not included in the grand total.

There were two 55-57 passenger buses ordered for what looks to be 40 people. There was a calculation of $3800 for the two buses divided by 40=$95. Why you would need two 55-57 passenger buses for only 40 people is not clear. It is a two+ hour drive. I would think 40 people could travel on a 55 passenger bus without a problem. If there were others, why would they have this calculated out at $3800 divided by 40?

It looks like we paid $212.50 a night for the Philly hotel. GSA per diem was hotel $155, M and IE $66. We did not pay for some breakfasts. We are within the 150% GSA stipulation for the hotel costs.
Attachments:
Klenow_Redacted.pdf

Posted by: correction. ()
Date: March 19, 2015 08:12AM

eckspedia.com Wrote:
> Took a look at the Klenow claim.
>
> The AVID registration fee was handwritten in at
> $795, but the invoice calculates it out at $669
> per person, and the $795 is not included in the
> grand total.
>
> There were two 55-57 passenger buses ordered for
> what looks to be 40 people. There was a
> calculation of $3800 for the two buses divided by
> 40=$95. Why you would need two 55-57 passenger
> buses for only 40 people is not clear. It is a
> two+ hour drive. I would think 40 people could
> travel on a 55 passenger bus without a problem. If
> there were others, why would they have this
> calculated out at $3800 divided by 40?
>
> It looks like we paid $212.50 a night for the
> Philly hotel. GSA per diem was hotel $155, M and
> IE $66. We did not pay for some breakfasts. We are
> within the 150% GSA stipulation for the hotel
> costs.

Whoops. The BUS FEE was written on the claim at $95. It is not included in the total claim. The arrow looked like a 7. The registration fee IS on there and included in the total claim. Nobody's perfect. Moving on.....

Date: March 19, 2015 08:18AM

Another Philly trip. Different year.
We paid POV for transportation. $100.
Hotel was about $218, which is within 150% of the $155 per diem.
Attachments:
Vienbergs_Redacted.pdf

Date: March 19, 2015 08:36AM

Goldfarb trip to Seattle.

There were 14 tickets bought, but there are references to 18 invoices.

Hotel bill was $682.36, $227.42 per night. GSA rate is $137. This is over the 150%. Meal per diem rate was $71. Some breakfasts not paid. The amount on the claim for the hotel room is $585, which looks like the hotel room rate without taxes, etc. Looks like the hotel was paid directly by the school system.
Attachments:
Goldfarb_Redacted.pdf

Posted by: per diem--- ()
Date: March 19, 2015 08:42AM

The GSA per diem rate does not include lodging taxes.

10.Are lodging taxes included in the CONUS per diem rate?

Lodging taxes are not included in the CONUS per diem rate. The Federal Travel Regulation §301-11.27 states that in CONUS, lodging taxes paid by the federal traveler are reimbursable as a miscellaneous travel expense limited to the taxes on reimbursable lodging costs. For foreign areas, lodging taxes have not been removed from the foreign per diem rates established by the Department of State. Separate claims for lodging taxes incurred in foreign areas not allowed. Some states and local governments may exempt federal travelers from the payment of taxes. For more information regarding tax exempt status, travelers should visit the State Tax Forms page.

11.Are taxes and gratuity (tips) included in the Meals and Incidental (M&IE) expense rate?

Yes, the meals and incidental expense (M&IE) rate does include taxes and tips in the rate, so travelers will not be reimbursed separately for those items.

Posted by: per diem/eckspedia ()
Date: March 19, 2015 08:58AM

per diem--- Wrote:
> The GSA per diem rate does not include lodging
> taxes.
>
>
>
> 10.Are lodging taxes included in the CONUS per
> diem rate?
>
> Lodging taxes are not included in the CONUS per
> diem rate. The Federal Travel Regulation
> §301-11.27 states that in CONUS, lodging taxes
> paid by the federal traveler are reimbursable as a
> miscellaneous travel expense limited to the taxes
> on reimbursable lodging costs. For foreign areas,
> lodging taxes have not been removed from the
> foreign per diem rates established by the
> Department of State. Separate claims for lodging
> taxes incurred in foreign areas not allowed. Some
> states and local governments may exempt federal
> travelers from the payment of taxes. For more
> information regarding tax exempt status, travelers
> should visit the State Tax Forms page.
>
>
> 11.Are taxes and gratuity (tips) included in the
> Meals and Incidental (M&IE) expense rate?
>
> Yes, the meals and incidental expense (M&IE) rate
> does include taxes and tips in the rate, so
> travelers will not be reimbursed separately for
> those items.

Non-local Travel regulation says-

4. Requests for preapproval of nonlocal travel must be approved by the approving
authority, with the following exceptions:
a. Lodging (excluding taxes) exceeding 150 percent of the prevailing GSA rate must
be approved by the department assistant superintendent, or the school’s region
assistant superintendent.

The amount on the claim report should include the taxes. The amount that you calculate out the 150% on is without taxes. Probably close enough for the above claims.

Date: March 19, 2015 09:19AM

Here is a trip to Grand Rapids. Hotel per diem is $88, meals $51. Life's easy in Grand Rapids.

Hotel was within 150%. Not a lot of meals paid out. Handwritten amounts on claim to correct some entries. Looks like somebody put in the room rate without the taxes and fees. The registration fee also had to be corrected. I don't know who does this.

Looks like the school system is due a refund on the hotel bill. I will check into that.
Attachments:
Ohta_Redacted.pdf

Date: March 19, 2015 11:25AM

eckspedia.com Wrote:
> Goldfarb trip to Seattle.
>
>

Room is technically within the 150% if you calculate it out without taxes.

Date: March 19, 2015 11:28AM

a dilemma--- Wrote:
> eckspedia.com Wrote:
> -----
> > Let's look at a couple more trips to CA.
> >
> > This one is to Napa. June of 2013.
> >
> > Registration fee $2750.
> >
> > Hotel GSA rate was $147. We paid $261.
> >
> > There was something noted about renting a
> Suburban
> > at a cost of over $1000, but it was not on this
> > travel claim.
>
>
> If the room charge was $1634, why and how did the
> school system only pay $1085 of that?**

Date: March 19, 2015 12:44PM

Here are the rest of the ones that I have. I won't get to these until next week.

Remember, I am a volunteer. We PAY people to do this. I am just doing the best I can. I take a look, and then later on I find other stuff after looking at other claims and doing more research. Feel free to point out stuff I miss. This is a learning experience.

If you want any more records check with the school system.
Attachments:
Parris_Redacted.pdf
McLain_Redacted.pdf
Acevedo_Redacted.pdf
Azimi_Redacted.pdf
Chong Travel_Redacted.pdf

Posted by: online travel guidelines ()
Date: March 20, 2015 03:53PM

Brand new Online Travel Guidelines. February, 2015.
Attachments:
OnlineTravelGuidelines.pdf

Date: March 20, 2015 04:30PM

online travel guidelines Wrote:
> Brand new Online Travel Guidelines. February,
> 2015.

I liked the parts about no hourly or valet parking at the airport and no room service. My regards and compliments to the Superintendent and her crew.

Date: March 20, 2015 04:51PM

I order mine on Monday night still no word
eckspedia.com Wrote:
> Here are the rest of the ones that I have. I won't
> get to these until next week.
>
> Remember, I am a volunteer. We PAY people to do
> this. I am just doing the best I can. I take a
> look, and then later on I find other stuff after
> looking at other claims and doing more research.
> Feel free to point out stuff I miss. This is a
> learning experience.
>
> If you want any more records check with the
> school system.

Date: March 20, 2015 04:57PM

Tax Payer1 Wrote:
> I order mine on Monday night still no word
> eckspedia.com Wrote:

They have to respond to you within 5 working days (not counting the day you submit) and they can declare an extension for another 7 working days. We have worked out longer extensions. Post them when you get them.

I will take a look at the others next week.

Date: March 21, 2015 03:27PM

IF payment is due do I have to pay them first?
Do They email me it or mail it us mail?

eckspedia.com Wrote:
> Tax Payer1 Wrote:
> -----
> > I order mine on Monday night still no word
> > eckspedia.com Wrote:
> >
>
>
> They have to respond to you within 5 working days
> (not counting the day you submit) and they can
> declare an extension for another 7 working days.
> We have worked out longer extensions. Post them
> when you get them.
>
> I will take a look at the others next week.

Posted by: Fun with FOIA ()
Date: March 21, 2015 03:46PM

Tax Payer1 Wrote:
> IF payment is due do I have to pay them first?
> Do They email me it or mail it us mail?
>
>
>
>

They can send you the material however you agree on. You can specify how you prefer it. Email, disc, paper. The bill will come with the material. If the estimated cost is greater than $200 they can get approval first and can possibly require some advance payment. Yours will not be even close to that if you are just looking at a couple of trips. You have 30 days from the date on the letter or email they send you with the amount due on it to pay it. If you submitted Monday evening, Day 1 is Wednesday. This is supposed to be at actual cost. This is not supposed to be a fundraiser for the school system.

Posted by: Fun with FOIA ()
Date: March 21, 2015 04:00PM

"If you submitted Monday evening, Day 1 is Wednesday."

Meaning, that is when the 5+7=12 days clock starts, NOT the 30 day clock. So, by Tuesday evening you should hear back from them, probably reporting an extension.

How is the campaign for School Board going, Tax Payer1?

Date: March 22, 2015 01:26PM

Took a look at this trip to Boston. 11/2013.
Per diem was 170/71. The hotel was within 150% at $209 without taxes. The school system sometimes takes a look at the flight/travel times and not pay for meals that can be eaten on your own prior to or after travel, and only pays 75% of the ones that are covered (which really doesn't make sense to me). The traveler was paid for breakfast and lunch with a 4:30pm flight on Day 1. They were paid for dinner on the final day when they landed at 5:30 pm. I see a lot of inconsistency on this. I am used to seeing full per diem with a 75% rate on the total amount for first and last day, which is what is on this claim (which sometimes doesn't make sense to me either, but hey). I have seen all kinds of different deals worked with the school system. I haven't figured out their system.
This shows that 21 people signed up. There was one no-show that we were charged for one night on. This receipt captures the group costs and is subdivided.

On the first page $1895 was recorded for the conference fee. It actually calculated out at $1705.48 based on 21, if the total cost is divided by 20 due to the no-show, it is $1790.75 per person. Don't know where they got 1895.
The lodging information was $836, which didn't include taxes, which it was supposed to include. So, somebody made a notation about the additional $120.80.

The airline receipt was for 21 travelers, and was nonrefundable/fee for change.
The hotel receipt shows we had to pay for one night of no-show that has Holly McGiugon written by it.
The payment to the hotel looks appropriate with 20 people X four nights plus one no-show penalty.
The group shuttled to and from the hotel on pre-paid shuttle at $30 per person roundtrip based on 21 travelers.
The conference registration shows the full price total was $39,795 for 21 seats. There is a hand-written notation about 39,795-3980 (they gave a 10% discount)=31,815. It actually equals 35,815. They calculated out 31,815 divided by 21=1705.47. 1705.47 is 35,815 divided by 21. You've got me on this one. The cancellation terms are at the bottom of the page. Within 13 days prior was no refunds, 14-29 days was a 10% penalty. The conference registration was dated 8/13. The airline reservation was dated 9/13. It looks like the hotel reservation was dated 7/13. It looks like there are several cancellation options with the hotel, including full refund, losing one night, or all of the booked stay. I don't know what the terms were.

I have no idea what the cancellation/no-show was about. I know emergencies happen. It looks like this cost us at least $2000 if this was a last-minute thing. I am sure all the staff know that they can't cancel all the time. This cost us a fortune unless they were able to get some type of a refund on the conference.
Attachments:
Azimi_Redacted.pdf

Date: March 24, 2015 03:36PM

This e-mail serves as the response to your request for travel claims and supporting documentation of Fairfax County Public Schools employees, received March 17, 2015, pursuant to the Virginia Freedom of Information Act.

It is not possible as a practical matter to provide the requested information within the initial five-work-day period provided for by the Act. School system staff members are processing the request, which you have made. The system expects to provide a response to your request within the supplemental period of seven work days as provided for in Va. Code § 2.2-3704(B)(4). The cost estimate of staff time to search for the requested records is $72.52 (2 ¼ hours @ $32.23 per hour Finance Technician III/IV/V). Va. Code § 2.2-3704(F) allows Fairfax County Public Schools to charge for such expenditures.

Sincerely,

Brandynn Reaves
Public Information Specialist / FOIA Officer
Office of Communications & Community Relations
Fairfax County Public Schools
T +1 571-423-1200 | F +1 571-423-1217

Do I have to pay the before they send the info?

Date: March 24, 2015 04:16PM

You should not have to pre-pay with this amount. They would tell you if they wanted pre-payment. You can email back and confirm that you will pay that amount if you want. I think 2 1/4 hours to pull records on 2 trips is a little high, but I don't know what all you asked for. I would think more like half a hour to 45 minutes per trip would be more like it. Unfortunately they call the shots on determining fees.

Date: March 24, 2015 04:44PM

Dear Ms. Perez:

This e-mail serves as the response to your request for travel claims and supporting documentation of Fairfax County Public Schools employees, received March 17, 2015, pursuant to the Virginia Freedom of Information Act.

It is not possible as a practical matter to provide the requested information within the initial five-work-day period provided for by the Act. School system staff members are processing the request, which you have made. The system expects to provide a response to your request within the supplemental period of seven work days as provided for in Va. Code § 2.2-3704(B)(4). The cost estimate of staff time to search for the requested records is $72.52 (2 ¼ hours @ $32.23 per hour Finance Technician III/IV/V). Va. Code § 2.2-3704(F) allows Fairfax County Public Schools to charge for such expenditures.

Sincerely,

Brandynn Reaves
Public Information Specialist / FOIA Officer
Office of Communications & Community Relations
Fairfax County Public Schools
T +1 571-423-1200 | F +1 571-423-1217

Sent: Monday, March 16, 2015 5:30 PM
To: Reaves, Brandynn
Subject: Information about a trip

I am asking for travel claims and all supporting documents for the following trips

King, Nardos E 11/11/2013 11/17/2013 Detroit, MI $1,722.24
Faiver, Christa E. 6/22/2013 7/7/2013 Las Vegas, NV $1,489.25
Vaerst, Ulrike 3/17/2014 3/18/2014 Allentown / Easton / Bethlehem, PA $861.74
Ricci, Gary T. 3/17/2014 3/18/2014 Allentown / Easton / Bethlehem, PA $822.54
Keck, Maureen E 8/12/2014 8/15/2014 Grand Rapids, MI $1,476.05

eckspedia.com Wrote:
> You should not have to pre-pay with this amount.
> They would tell you if they wanted pre-payment.
> You can email back and confirm that you will pay
> that amount if you want. I think 2 1/4 hours to
> pull records on 2 trips is a little high, but I
> don't know what all you asked for. I would think
> more like half a hour to 45 minutes per trip would
> be more like it. Unfortunately they call the shots
> on determining fees.

Date: March 24, 2015 07:23PM

"I am asking for travel claims and all supporting documents for the following trips

King, Nardos E 11/11/2013 11/17/2013 Detroit, MI $1,722.24
Faiver, Christa E. 6/22/2013 7/7/2013 Las Vegas, NV $1,489.25
Vaerst, Ulrike 3/17/2014 3/18/2014 Allentown / Easton / Bethlehem, PA $861.74
Ricci, Gary T. 3/17/2014 3/18/2014 Allentown / Easton / Bethlehem, PA $822.54
Keck, Maureen E 8/12/2014 8/15/2014 Grand Rapids, MI $1,476.05"

#########

Five trips=about $15 a trip which is about half an hour. That is about right. Post them when you get them. You have 30 days to pay from the date of the letter or email accompanying the information.

Posted by: DanKnows ()
Date: March 24, 2015 07:35PM

Ok, so it's a requirement that administrators have some sort of annual training or something, but is there any reason they couldn't being a trainer to Fairfax County and conduct an in service, like they do for teachers? I'm sure that it would more cost effective than sending a whole bunch of them to New Orleans or someplace.

Since this system is so caught up in metrics and accountability, I'd love to see a cost/benefit analysis of these trips. Seriously, how much educational benefit is derived from sending all those people to conventions, etc?

Date: March 24, 2015 07:42PM

I have no idea about the training agreement/requirements for administrators. I am just posting trips and letting somebody else figure that issue out. The School Board members have to have annual training and things and we have to pay for it. I did find that.
My impression is that there are a lot of different options with conferences and training. I don't know how you would do a cost/benefit analysis on these. Bringing someone to the county to do a special training for just FCPS might not be cost-effective. I would think a lot of these conferences have hundreds of attendees.

Posted by: question b ()
Date: March 24, 2015 11:29PM

Doesn't $1,489.25 FOr Vegas seems a lot? Wonder if she making us pay for her gambling habits

eckspedia.com Wrote:
> I have no idea about the training
> agreement/requirements for administrators. I am
> just posting trips and letting somebody else
> figure that issue out. The School Board members
> have to have annual training and things and we
> have to pay for it. I did find that.
> My impression is that there are a lot of different
> options with conferences and training. I don't
> know how you would do a cost/benefit analysis on
> these. Bringing someone to the county to do a
> special training for just FCPS might not be
> cost-effective. I would think a lot of these
> conferences have hundreds of attendees.

Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.