HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Considering high schools for my rising 9th grader
Posted by: rackms ()
Date: January 12, 2015 01:35PM

We are currently in the South Lakes high school area but are not convinced that an IB school is the right school for my rising 9th grader. We are considering the following, which offer AP courses (my son is interested in AP):

Flint Hill
Madison
Oakton
Paul the VIth

Does anyone have feedback about any of these schools that I should consider?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Considering high schools for my rising 9th grader
Posted by: wenttoflinthilldidntlikeit ()
Date: January 12, 2015 01:42PM

Flint Hill is probably out of your price range if the other schools you are looking at are Madison, Oakton, and Paul VI.

If not, I would suggest you check out some DC schools like Gtown Prep, Gonzaga, Landon (not DC, i know), or St Albans

Date: January 12, 2015 01:44PM

Price isn't a sole consideration. Just looking for the right fit for a very curious, smart boy who will probably get "lost" in a huge school.

Posted by: Dean boyardee ()
Date: January 12, 2015 01:53PM

rackms Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Price isn't a sole consideration. Just looking for
> the right fit for a very curious, smart boy who
> will probably get "lost" in a huge school.

By sheltering your boy he will probably get "lost" in the real world too.

Posted by: FHAlum ()
Date: January 12, 2015 01:58PM

I'm just saying it's $37,280 a year. Went there for middle school and my family thought it was a waste of money

Posted by: poijhg ()
Date: January 12, 2015 02:15PM

I had a friend a while back who went to flint hill. They held him back for a year because the fcps curriculum wasn't at their standards.
Before anyone calls him dumb, he is now a successful doctor

Posted by: DMV Observers. ()
Date: January 12, 2015 02:21PM

Georgetown Prep is in Maryland as well.

Posted by: DRE ()
Date: January 12, 2015 02:33PM

AP classes are becoming less and less important for college as less colleges are accepting them for more than elective credit make sure you see what colleges he wants to go to and if it is a Virginia school then tell him to take dual enrollment classes...you have to do so well on the AP tests as well to even get credit....

Posted by: Been there done that ()
Date: January 12, 2015 03:31PM

If you have a very bright child AP is the way to go. My kids were able to dual degree and double major in college (on the four year plan) due to extensive AP credit. Both went to Oakton. One liked the social scene there, one did not, but they both ended up with a lot of credits. They both had a full year of college credits based on their scores. They ran out of things to do at the high school level by junior year, so this worked well for us. And no, I am not a pushy parent. This is just where they were developmentally. I gave them every opportunity to go slower with this, but things worked out the way they worked out. Oakton has problems with their math department, but they are probably not alone with that. It is hard to fine really good Math teachers.

Posted by: OP Exposed ()
Date: January 12, 2015 03:34PM

OP is a typical wealthy hypocriticalliberal who just wants to get his kid away from the violent blacks. Same reason Obama sends his girls to one of the most expensive private schools in the area.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: January 12, 2015 03:43PM

rackms Wrote:
> Price isn't a sole consideration. Just looking for
> the right fit for a very curious, smart boy who
> will probably get "lost" in a huge school.

By lost you mean gay?

Date: January 12, 2015 03:48PM

Umm, no. We have an older son who is a senior at South Lakes. He's been with a tight group of good friends the entire way through his educational experience who help keep him motivated and on track. That's not the case with my younger son, who is bright, but easily distracted. He might benefit from being in a smaller environment versus being pushed along in a larger crowd. He just needs time to mature while being challenged academically. I have no issues with diverse environments (welcome that! both ethnically and economically - there's so many benefits from being in a diverse community) and have no issues with the gay community (having a brother in law who's gay). Geez, I didn't realize I'd have to defend myself here; I was just looking for information from folks who have had kids in any of the schools I listed.

Date: January 12, 2015 03:50PM

OP Exposed Wrote:
> OP is a typical wealthy hypocriticalliberal who
> just wants to get his kid away from the violent
> blacks. Same reason Obama sends his girls to one
> of the most expensive private schools in the area.

I was more concerned with educating my children properly than supporting a social experiment, etc. I don't apologize for that. If I had wanted that I would have picked a different place to live.

Posted by: Troll Expert ()
Date: January 12, 2015 04:03PM

What do you expect when the OP asks questions of complete strangers about their child?

Posted by: Thorn in the side ()
Date: January 12, 2015 04:05PM

You can want the best and pay for your child's future but driving him/her everywhere for education just increases the chance for a tragic accident.
"they had a bright future". just sayin'

Posted by: @OP ()
Date: January 12, 2015 05:03PM

You are much more likely to get good advice on city-data than here. Ralph Pootawn and the other offensive posters are trolls who are deliberately trying to provoke you and other innocent posters who - for some inexplicable reason - do not understand that this forum is a cesspool. Do not respond to them. Good luck.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: January 12, 2015 05:34PM

You might want to verify what school your child is ellible to attend if he wants AP rather than IB. In our area if you want to do the AP/IB switch there is only one preapproved school. If you want another, you have to get approval.

Posted by: fourlegs ()
Date: January 12, 2015 05:50PM

Oakton is a definite yes. Their school is known for being a runner up to Thomas Jefferson. That's just my opinion.

DON'T send your child to PVI that place is more ghetto than Mount Vernon high school, the environment is toxic with spoiled kid and athlete cliques.

Date: January 12, 2015 05:59PM

Thank you — good suggestions!

Posted by: pmKhk ()
Date: January 12, 2015 06:00PM

I know some folks that sent their kids, mostly boys, to FH or other private schools because they figured their kids would not be able to make a sports team, find a place within the local public high school or could handle the academic load and pressure.

It is a lot of money to fork out, but if you want to steer clear of the local public high school and you have the ability and means, it is something to consider.

But sooner or later the kids need to find a place. If they cannot do this on their own, then a private school may be a better fit.

You know your kid hopefully better than anyone else, since you are asking the questions, you obviously have a concern.

Keep in mind St. Stevens, St. Albans, Potomac and some of the others depending on where you live and how much time you care to have your kid commuting.

Good luck, but my take is the kids have to learn how to adjust and fit in at some point and unless you are concerned about their safety, overall mental health and whether they will manage their own schedule, then maybe they should at least try the local public high school.

Posted by: Mr. Man ()
Date: January 12, 2015 06:08PM

In DC check out Ballou. In Fairfax check out Mt. Vernon or West Potomac.
You should be happy.

Posted by: WestfieldDad ()
Date: January 12, 2015 07:18PM

I don't have experience with the schools you are looking at, but have had to navigate the AP/IB wilderness since the SL redistricting. Regarding Bill's response, he's correct, but there are a few details you might be interested in -

The AP/IB rule for FCPS is the child has to go to the nearest AP school to his/her home with capacity the first year they go. Nearest is defined as driving distance, rather than time. Since available capacity changes year to year, the initial school can vary from one year to the next. Once in, your child can continue there assuming you fill out the forms each year.

Regarding your available choice, looks like FCPS has not yet decided available capacity yet for next year, but several of the AP HSes in western Fairfax are above capacity and expected to be for the foreseeable future. (http://www.fcps.edu/fts/dashboard/index.shtml)

Assuming you go FCPS, the official request form has to be signed by the Principals of both schools. Also, once in, your child has to clearly be on a path to taking a significant number of AP courses (http://www.fcps.edu/is/aap/advep.shtml) or FCPS reserves the right to send the kid back to the base school.

Finally, once in/in the late summer, you can request that your child be allowed on a bus to/from that school to a bus stop on a normal bus route for that school that's near your house (assuming some reasonable walking path from that stop). FCPS decides based on their perception of available capacity in both directions - to/from the school - even if you only want one direction and it's utterly obvious to the casual observer that there are always available seats on the bus...

Bill.N. Wrote:
> You might want to verify what school your child is
> ellible to attend if he wants AP rather than IB.
> In our area if you want to do the AP/IB switch
> there is only one preapproved school. If you want
> another, you have to get approval.

Posted by: fourlegs ()
Date: January 12, 2015 07:22PM

Mr. Man Wrote:
> In DC check out Ballou. In Fairfax check out Mt.
> Vernon or West Potomac.
> You should be happy.

Ignore this post. He's trolling.

Posted by: FFXian ()
Date: January 12, 2015 07:28PM

I had a buddy in college from St Albans.

He was "middle of the road" at St Albans, but head and shoulders above the college kids...double major, etc.

It was easy for him.

It was a good college, too.

I think most of the upper crust places prepare kids like that.

Posted by: TJ 2k16 ()
Date: January 12, 2015 07:33PM

What about TJ?

Posted by: No can Do ()
Date: January 13, 2015 11:15AM

TJ 2k16 Wrote:
> What about TJ?

Nope. Kid is not Asian. Won't work.

Posted by: Woodson Grad ()
Date: January 13, 2015 11:30AM

Black or Hispanic? There's a special set-aside you might want to ask about.

Posted by: Ever Reliable Fairfaxians ()
Date: January 13, 2015 12:29PM

I had a friend a while back who went to flint hill. They held him back for a year because the fcps curriculum wasn't at their standards.
Before anyone calls him dumb, he is now a successful doctor

Well now, aren't you and your son special...and here you're posting your success on FFXU!

Posted by: Jamal ()
Date: January 13, 2015 02:50PM

If you can get your kid bused over to Booker T. Washington charter school in DC you have the best chances. Best school in the area hands down, with best teachers and SAT scores. They are kind of picky who they allow in so get on the waiting list early.

Posted by: allahu akbar ()
Date: January 13, 2015 04:31PM

The Islamic Saudi Academy has the Gerry Connolly seal of approval!

Posted by: gessssssssss ()
Date: January 13, 2015 04:51PM

saying you do not want him going to south lakes for the IB is code or I do not want him a school with poor brown people any way he will get lost at any public school so start writing checks.

Posted by: JMHS ()
Date: January 13, 2015 05:51PM

gessssssssss Wrote:
> saying you do not want him going to south lakes
> for the IB is code or I do not want him a school
> with poor brown people any way he will get lost
> at any public school so start writing checks.

OP already said they had another kid at SL, so stop the trolling.

OP, just send the kid to Madison if you can. It's not perfect and it's very sports oriented but it's not crazy big/chaotic and the academics are good.

Posted by: kEyMk ()
Date: January 13, 2015 05:56PM

I thought IB was InfiniBand -- oh well.

Posted by: TJ Sophomore ()
Date: January 13, 2015 07:01PM

It's actually significantly harder for Asian males to make TJ than other ethnicity and sex.

Posted by: southlakespppppp ()
Date: January 13, 2015 07:16PM

what's your closest AP school to south lakes that is where they make you go?
It might be Herndon. I think that school is ok. I have had two at south Lakes and I am dreading sending my next one. that school just getting worse and worse. I think it grew to quickly and every thing is done last minute. I know many of the good teachers are trying to leave. They need more admin and good luck getting emails answered.

Posted by: doh ()
Date: January 13, 2015 07:25PM

rackms Wrote:
> We are currently in the South Lakes high school
> area but are not convinced that an IB school is
> the right school for my rising 9th grader. We are
> considering the following, which offer AP courses
> (my son is interested in AP):
>
> Flint Hill
> Madison
> Oakton
> Paul the VIth
>
> Does anyone have feedback about any of these
> schools that I should consider?
>
> Thanks!

You need to "consider" pretty quick. Application deadlines are this week.

Posted by: TJStudyBots ()
Date: January 13, 2015 08:36PM

TJ Sophomore Wrote:
> It's actually significantly harder for Asian males
> to make TJ than other ethnicity and sex.

Thats because the Asian community spends a decade of summer school, weekend/after school attending tutoring classes with the express goal of getting their kids into TJ. TJ was supposed to be for kids with a high aptitude not average students that get in by studying thousands of hours in test-tutoring classes. The culture of TJ has been perverted into a study mill where any gifted kid with half a brain would run in the other direction. All that studying can be done in undergrad and the idea of spending your entire young life getting tutored is insane.

StudyBots being churned out of TJ arent good for much once they lose their tutors.

Date: January 13, 2015 08:56PM

Your comment is ridiculous? What happened to hard work pays off? You're saying TJ is only mean't for the naturally brilliant kids, and that "average" kids with big dreams don't deserve to come to TJ?

I would rather be "average" but motivated, rather than "naturally gifted" and unmotivated.

Also btw, The TJ application does not only look at your test scores. Your test score is actually only 20% of the entire application.

Posted by: where are these? ()
Date: January 13, 2015 09:39PM

"I would rather be "average" but motivated, rather than "naturally gifted" and unmotivated."

How about being "naturally gifted" AND motivated? If there are any of those out there, they should be at TJ.

And TJ should not be for the studyBots. It really should be for those who are interested in math and science.

Date: January 13, 2015 09:52PM

@where are these
Trust me if you are naturally gifted and are truly motivated, you would be very likely to make TJ. I was making a comparison strictly on what @TJStudyBots was saying.

Once again I iterate that "study bots" would only be able to prepare for 20% of the TJ application. The other 80%, student information sheet, teacher recommendations, ect, are all great outlets for those interested in math and science to express their passion and give the admissions office an idea of who the applicant is.

Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: January 13, 2015 10:41PM

Annandale is best

Posted by: TJStudent ()
Date: January 13, 2015 10:53PM

I attend Thomas Jefferson and would highly recommend trying to get in. If you are motivated and want a tightly knit community this is the place to go. I would have attended south lakes but am very happy about my decision to apply for TJ. The workload is staggering but the teachers are fairly good and teh upperclassmen are super helpful.

Posted by: TJGook ()
Date: January 13, 2015 10:56PM

TJStudent Wrote:
> I attend Thomas Jefferson and would highly
> recommend trying to get in. If you are motivated
> and want a tightly knit community this is the
> place to go. I would have attended south lakes but
> am very happy about my decision to apply for TJ.
> The workload is staggering but the teachers are
> fairly good and teh upperclassmen are super
> helpful.

I bet you're a gook because only gooks attend TJ.
OP, you must ask yourself. Do I want my kid to be surrounded by a bunch of commie gooks?

You know the answer...

Posted by: Parental Concern about TJ ()
Date: January 13, 2015 10:57PM

Does homework count for part of your grade at TJ? Have they converted yet?

I know a number of FCPS high schools and even middle schools are discontinuing the practice of actually incorporating homework performance into the grade. It's more just for practice and showing mastery to the teacher.

Posted by: Leave the kid alone ()
Date: January 14, 2015 08:15AM

"Exceptional" kids usually figure it for themselves. Any teacher will bore them.
Parents push their kids for status and boasting rights. It's the ones who are brought up in a normal atmosphere that usually help to make the world a better place.

Albert Einstein never finished High School.

Date: January 14, 2015 08:24AM

Leave the kid alone Wrote:
> "Exceptional" kids usually figure it for
> themselves. Any teacher will bore them.
> Parents push their kids for status and boasting
> rights. It's the ones who are brought up in a
> normal atmosphere that usually help to make the
> world a better place.

Don't believe this for a minute.

Posted by: RDF33 ()
Date: January 14, 2015 09:27AM

We love PVI, my son was slated to got to FCHS, he was NEVER in a Catholic school until HS, he love it there. He also plays hockey, golf and Lacrosse there as well. Very well run and respected athletic programs and he is making great grades.

He is in his Junior year.

Posted by: rdf33 ()
Date: January 14, 2015 09:32AM

you are crazy if you think PVI is ghetto. Do you have a child there? I didn't think so. I have a son who is a Junior there, and I can Assure that he is better off at PVI then he would be at FCHS. Less kids,(1000 students) better attention for him in class, great athletic programs and an awesome atmosphere.

Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: January 14, 2015 10:13AM

Homeschool him

Posted by: Mandarin Lover ()
Date: January 14, 2015 10:17AM

Where else but TJ can you find smart young future Tiger Moms? Are they offering Mandarin yet at FCPS?

Posted by: Pacheco ()
Date: January 14, 2015 10:27AM

Fox News Wrote:
> Homeschool him

Good suggestion since most home schooled kids are smarter, driven, and better behaved than kids from public school kids, but most parents don't have the wherewithal to provide a home based education for their children.

Posted by: slhsllllllllllllllllllll ()
Date: January 20, 2015 07:14PM

I have 2 at south lakes , one going next year and one who graduated. Do not send a child unless they are motivated and can handle no support . the schools seems to be going straight down hill. Maybe it will get better .... Here is to hoping. I am looking for another school as well for my last one.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.