HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Drove my SUV today, did just fine...
Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: January 06, 2015 06:17PM

Drove my SUV today, and while there were several Lexus, Mazda, Toyota, cars and SUVs, and even a Nissan sedan in the ditches, I did fine.

Locking my electric hubs, I braved the cold and windy conditions to get my lunch today, and the only inconvenience was from other drivers sliding all over the road.

Saw a few plows around 11 AM - very few, like three. Then saw more plows around 5.

My kids joked about those who pick their ditches early, which was pretty funny, given the apparent run on ditches and grassy shoulders today.

Working from home, it was interesting to hear about the 60 mile backup on the Beltway, which is only 64 miles around.

How were your experiences today?

What was the craziest thing you saw?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drove my SUV today, did just fine...
Posted by: Dodge Chargers ()
Date: January 06, 2015 06:43PM

Lots of Dodge Chargers that couldn't make it on slippery roads.

Posted by: Beeblebrox ()
Date: January 06, 2015 06:47PM

I sent my butler out to get what I needed. He said the roads were full of asians who crashed very 20 feet.

I sat by the fireplace, sipped some brandy, and traded some under performing stocks.

What's "going to work" anyway

Posted by: 3PEHG ()
Date: January 06, 2015 06:48PM

Volvo V70 AWD did okay today. Newer Michelin - Premier® A/S not as good as I had hoped but they were okay. I grew up driving rear wheel in the snow so this is pretty easy stuff. Today was tricky though back streets were packed snow conditions so it was slick. I did a 360 for fun and it was a bit too easy. Drive steady, slow down steady dont come to a complete stop unless you have to.

Posted by: Dildo Douchebaggins ()
Date: January 06, 2015 06:51PM

Yeah, I saw a bunch of twats in SUVs who don't know how to drive. But I see that everyday. Today they just careened around lanes a big worse than usual. "HURRRRR DURRRRRRR MAH SUV IS PERTECTUD BAH A FORCEMA FIELD, AH DRAHVE WHUR AH WUNTS AH OWNZ TEH ROADS DEERRRRRRRP."

Of the five accident scenes I saw, three were SUVs.

Do you have to mortgage your brain away to buy one of those shitcans?

Posted by: hwhuE ()
Date: January 06, 2015 06:57PM

The sports coupe has summer tires so I had to drive the truck. Both are RWD only. I drove to the main roads and turned back. I wasn't going to sit in traffic for a few hours just to sit at work.

Posted by: 79NhE ()
Date: January 06, 2015 07:07PM

Dildo Douchebaggins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, I saw a bunch of twats in SUVs who don't
> know how to drive. But I see that everyday. Today
> they just careened around lanes a big worse than
> usual. "HURRRRR DURRRRRRR MAH SUV IS PERTECTUD BAH
> A FORCEMA FIELD, AH DRAHVE WHUR AH WUNTS AH OWNZ
> TEH ROADS DEERRRRRRRP."
>
> Of the five accident scenes I saw, three were
> SUVs.
>
> Do you have to mortgage your brain away to buy one
> of those shitcans?

They are station wagons - people dont buy them for 4 wheel driving. Most people do not realize they are more likely to flip SUV drivers have the illusion of safety because the sit high on the road. Ive driven many many miles in the Rocky's in rarely traveled back roads in a dozen different (rental) SUVs. They all spin out easily. What they do well is go through semi-deep snow Slowly. On the roads with less than a foot of snow Id take an all wheel drive with great snow tires over an SUV anyday.

Posted by: Rode My Bike Today ()
Date: January 06, 2015 07:09PM

No snow in Fredricksburg, Land of Low Home prices and Good Living

Posted by: abelard ()
Date: January 06, 2015 07:51PM

>Volvo V70 AWD did okay today.

Did you disable the anti-spin part of the traction control system? When I turn it off my XC-90 does far better at going up things. Pretty much the same going down though.

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: January 06, 2015 08:32PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
> Drove my SUV today, and while there were several
> Lexus, Mazda, Toyota, cars and SUVs, and even a
> Nissan sedan in the ditches, I did fine.

LOL, you want a medal or something? Well over 99% of the people who ventured out today didn't end up in a ditch. Congrats on your clearly-superior driving skills.

Posted by: exffx ()
Date: January 06, 2015 08:34PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
>
> What was the craziest thing you saw?

Idiots stuck on Northbound traffic on the GW parkway trying to drive across the median that was grass and snow. WTF goes through people's mind?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2015 08:35PM by exffx.

Posted by: Anecdotal Writer ()
Date: January 06, 2015 08:55PM

The craziest thing I saw today was a Ford Explorer struggling and failing to go up a ramp and eventually power sliding itself to the side, allowing a Lexus RX300 SUV and Hyundai Accent to pass through without issue.

Date: January 06, 2015 09:11PM

Kilton Wrote:
> ...in the 22039 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Drove my SUV today, and while there were
> several
> > Lexus, Mazda, Toyota, cars and SUVs, and even a
> > Nissan sedan in the ditches, I did fine.
>
> LOL, you want a medal or something? Well over 99%
> of the people who ventured out today didn't end up
> in a ditch. Congrats on your clearly-superior
> driving skills.

While I do have superior driving skills, I wasn't bragging, just trying to point out if one has an SUV, they won't veer off the road, flip, and die. Plenty of cars and small SUV (truckettes) on the sides of the roads.

You are probably right though on there being 99% who safely made it today while driving. But that 1% surely stood out.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: January 06, 2015 09:27PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
> Drove my SUV today, and while there were several
> Lexus, Mazda, Toyota, cars and SUVs, and even a
> Nissan sedan in the ditches, I did fine.
>
> Locking my electric hubs, I braved the cold and
> windy conditions to get my lunch today, and the
> only inconvenience was from other drivers sliding
> all over the road.
>
> Saw a few plows around 11 AM - very few, like
> three. Then saw more plows around 5.
>
> My kids joked about those who pick their ditches
> early, which was pretty funny, given the apparent
> run on ditches and grassy shoulders today.
>
> Working from home, it was interesting to hear
> about the 60 mile backup on the Beltway, which is
> only 64 miles around.
>
> How were your experiences today?
>
> What was the craziest thing you saw?

I work from home too, so cheers.

I only went out to shovel my driveway.

Posted by: Jerry ()
Date: January 06, 2015 09:54PM

I always see people driving around with their hazards on when it snows or even rains hard. Today was not an exception. Not disabled or anything, but moving along with the rest of traffic, as if to say, "No, there is nothing wrong with my car, I'm just a retard! Watch or for me!"

Posted by: khVdy ()
Date: January 06, 2015 10:22PM

I am baffled by how many morons buy SUVs and AWD/4WD vehicles at their perceived ability to handle snow and ice better than other cars.

When it comes to stopping fellows, NOTHING about the AWD/4WD will ever matter. Many of the accidents on snowy and icy roads roads are due to the inability of the drivers to slow down or stop in time.

Just slow the fuck down in bad weather! Do you know that in Snow emergency the only vehicles that you see on the roads are cabs and cops/emergency vehicles? And that most if not all of them are RWD?

I drive a simple FWD v6 sedan which I keep in good condition, 40 miles each way to work on our miserable beltway, and have been doing it for the last 21 years without ever having to lose a single day of work because of snow when the city was not shut down. I've also never had an accident or caused one due to snowy or icy conditions either. Do you know why? I give myself enough space between me and the morons in front, including the stupid fucks who cut in front of me.

I just laugh, say fuck you and take my foot off the pedal for a bit as it is no biggie; a few minutes have never cost me the skin off my back or my ego, thank you very much.

Posted by: You Can Go But Not Stop ()
Date: January 06, 2015 11:32PM

>am baffled by how many morons buy SUVs and AWD/4WD vehicles at their perceived ability to handle snow and ice better than other cars.

When it comes to stopping fellows, NOTHING about the AWD/4WD will ever matter. Many of the accidents on snowy and icy roads roads are due to the inability of the drivers to slow down or stop in time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a 4Wd owner since 1974 here, I will agree 100% 4WD means you can go but it dos not mean you can stop. Also how far you can go depends on how high that SUV sits. In 1979 we had a good snow a big one, I saw Jeeps stranded in intersections and had to tow a few out as they were bottomed out in the deep snow, snow packed up under the frame does it every time, Dont let it dig down to deep and down to the frame, same thing as in sand. My 4X4 back then was a 1974 Ford F250 factory Hi Boy and that rig never bottomed out in snows here. But it did not stop any better then anyones car and on the Dreaded Freezing rain it did not go much better then a car either. Keep an emergency kit in your car, old coat, blanket, bottled water, ice scraper, little shovel, sand, flares, warm gloves, flashlight with new batteries, hat.
Keep your eyes on the road and anticipate whats going to happen next , slow down and Take Care out there.
Attachments:
1974F2504X4.jpg

Date: January 07, 2015 06:22AM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
> While I do have superior driving skills, I wasn't
> bragging, just trying to point out if one has an
> SUV, they won't veer off the road, flip, and die.

You were bragging (somewhat subtley), about two things: 1) Your awesome driving skills, and 2) Your magical, manly SUV.

Let's start with #1. Everyone thinks they have superior driving skills relative to the general population. So the odds, statistically, are that you do not. And based on this thread, I'd bet a paycheck on it. So while you and your soon-to-be-as-dopey-as-you-are kids were driving around yesterday smugly mocking those who had crashed as if you're somehow superior, it's just an illusion. (It may be a healthy illusion in your case if that's what it takes to keep your self-esteem up, but that's another matter. But the real shame of it is that your kids have, clearly, already picked it up from you.)

As far as #2 goes, it was, for some reason, very important for you to say (twice) that you have an SUV. Very impressive. No one other than you gives a shit, but what can you do. :-) You're a dime-a-dozen out there with all the other buffoons who think that SUVs are safer in snow/ice.

But the best part, perhaps, is that you didn't even need to be out driving around -- you work from home and could have eaten at home. Nevertheless, as is so common with truck/SUV drivers who have an internal need to impress themselves by driving in bad weather for no reason, you took a ride around to feel good about yourself, to impress your kids (who you put in danger by bringing along), and to be able to brag about it afterwards (not only here, but no doubt to the wife and some co-workers as well).

khVdy Wrote:
> I am baffled by how many morons buy SUVs and
> AWD/4WD vehicles at their perceived ability to
> handle snow and ice better than other cars.
>
> When it comes to stopping fellows, NOTHING about
> the AWD/4WD will ever matter. Many of the
> accidents on snowy and icy roads roads are due to
> the inability of the drivers to slow down or stop
> in time.

+1000

Date: January 07, 2015 08:36AM

Tip # 1 from former Bostonian: Wait until the hill in front of you is clear before you try to go up it. Having to stop on the middle of a snowy, icy hill is bad. Don't apply brakes on said hill. The death of common sense.

Posted by: Snow Tires ()
Date: January 07, 2015 09:01AM

Dodge Chargers Wrote:
> Lots of Dodge Chargers that couldn't make it on
> slippery roads.

Rear wheel drive cars are fantastic 99% of the year around DC but when it snows they are a complete waste of time unless your have snow tires.

And let's face it nobody with a Dodger Charger or Corvette is putting snow tires on it.

I have a rigged up Mustang and it sucks big time in the snow. The great part is "Hello office, I can't make in today, my Mustang can't get out of the street." That is totally believable.

Posted by: slam on the brakes ()
Date: January 07, 2015 09:54AM

The only advantage an SUV offers is clearance and low-end torque - thats it. The disadvantages are higher center of gravity, poor emergency handling, stopping distance and roll-over risk. AWD enhances traction in acceleration only not stopping. ABS, Traction control, Stability Control are more important than AWD in traffic.

Another drawback of SUV's is the people that drive them. Because of their high driving position they perceive their speed as slower than those of us closer to the ground. That and the false sense they are safer in an SUV lead to predictable duochebaggery. Unless you have chains on your car you will take longer to stop in an SUV.

I have to laugh because I saw all manner of Asian dummies with really good snow cars stuck having driven over the curb onto the sidewalk. They start to skid a little and slam on the brakes. Even ABS cannot overcome that type of FAIL

Date: January 07, 2015 10:07AM

Kilton Wrote:
> ...in the 22039 Wrote:
> -----
> > While I do have superior driving skills, I
> wasn't
> > bragging, just trying to point out if one has
> an
> > SUV, they won't veer off the road, flip, and
> die.
>
> You were bragging (somewhat subtley), about two
> things: 1) Your awesome driving skills, and 2)
> Your magical, manly SUV.
>
> Let's start with #1. Everyone thinks they have
> superior driving skills relative to the general
> population. So the odds, statistically, are that
> you do not. And based on this thread, I'd bet a
> paycheck on it. So while you and your
> soon-to-be-as-dopey-as-you-are kids were driving
> around yesterday smugly mocking those who had
> crashed as if you're somehow superior, it's just
> an illusion. (It may be a healthy illusion in your
> case if that's what it takes to keep your
> self-esteem up, but that's another matter. But the
> real shame of it is that your kids have, clearly,
> already picked it up from you.)
>
> As far as #2 goes, it was, for some reason, very
> important for you to say (twice) that you have an
> SUV. Very impressive. No one other than you gives
> a shit, but what can you do. :-) You're a
> dime-a-dozen out there with all the other buffoons
> who think that SUVs are safer in snow/ice.
>
> But the best part, perhaps, is that you didn't
> even need to be out driving around -- you work
> from home and could have eaten at home.
> Nevertheless, as is so common with truck/SUV
> drivers who have an internal need to impress
> themselves by driving in bad weather for no
> reason, you took a ride around to feel good about
> yourself, to impress your kids (who you put in
> danger by bringing along), and to be able to brag
> about it afterwards (not only here, but no doubt
> to the wife and some co-workers as well).

Please let me know where you would like to meet, so you can hand over your paycheck which you bet. Thanks.

Regarding my kids, they were in school, so not in my SUV. I have taught one of my kids to drive, and have had success with that. My other kid is too long to drive, but has a drift cart, and has fun with that.

Speaking of drifting, I remember going to empty parking lots (in Fairfax County) and learning to drive in all kinds of weather, including snow. I am not convinced parents today know how drive in bad weather, let alone to teach their kids.

So if this sounds like bragging, sorry. I would call it the self assuredness that I know how to drive and can handle a vehicle of any kind - from car, to truck, to motorcycles, and even a tractor trailer, but that was just because I had the chance ;)

You are right though on one point, I didn't need to go out for lunch, but felt like it. And that's my prerogative, right?

Again, please let me know where to meet to collect your check which you bet.
If a demo of driving skills is required, I'd be glad to oblige.

Date: January 07, 2015 10:11AM

^^^ long = young. Sorry for the typo/autocorrect error.

Date: January 07, 2015 10:18AM

slam on the brakes Wrote:
> The only advantage an SUV offers is clearance and
> low-end torque - thats it. The disadvantages are
> higher center of gravity, poor emergency handling,
> stopping distance and roll-over risk. AWD
> enhances traction in acceleration only not
> stopping. ABS, Traction control, Stability
> Control are more important than AWD in traffic.
>
> Another drawback of SUV's is the people that drive
> them. Because of their high driving position they
> perceive their speed as slower than those of us
> closer to the ground. That and the false sense
> they are safer in an SUV lead to predictable
> duochebaggery. Unless you have chains on your car
> you will take longer to stop in an SUV.
>

I do not disagree with those statements, and if I didn't need to have such a large vehicle, I'd ditch my SUV (no pun intended) for an AWD Sedan.

But I cannot find an AWD Sedan which has the capabilities of my SUV, and don't feel like buying an AWD Sedan just for the 4 or 5 times per year I need the feature.

So for now, my SUV does it all. But it isn't right for everyone, or all drivers.

Date: January 07, 2015 12:23PM

> The only advantage an SUV offers is clearance and
> low-end torque - thats it.

Not quite. Having power to all wheels helps go up hills (or plow) as it increases the power you can apply given the traction you get (which is greater with 4 tires). Applying power to just the back wheels can also get out of hand when you slip (which you will) so you have to learn to control it. IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, awd will beat rear-wheel drive every day on slippery surfaces, especially going up hills.

Going down hills now, this is where SUVs crap out along with all vehicles, and here's where snow tires help but not nearly as much as KNOWING WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE DOING. And I agree heartily with everyone here that SUVs give too many folks too grand vision of what they can and cannot do. So here's what you do: learn how to turn off the 'anti-spin' part of your traction control system (sometimes you want your tires to spin, like when you're fighting your way up slick hills), take your SUV out somewhere safe and practice. You'll soon find out it isn't the magic snow-beast you thought it was, but it still can do some pretty amazing things.

>The disadvantages are
> higher center of gravity, poor emergency handling,
> stopping distance and roll-over risk.

Most of these come across as 'poor driving' to me. I like the high center of gravity thing personally as I'm much less worried with what I'm doing as I am what other idiots are doing. I took the time to take off-road lessons from an SAS guy and snow-driving with Finns, but I'm guessing most folks haven't. Hit my jeep with a normal car and like as not I'll be fine, and more to the point I probably won't care. As for the rest of it, well, let me quote my SAS tutor: "Ya shouldn't ask yourself how fast you can go, you should be thinking 'How fast do I want to be going when I lose control?'" Slow down, pick your route past any obstacles (i.e. make sure the hill is clear before you make your move up - don't want to be stopped half way), and, oh yeah, don't be a fucking idiot.

In short, normal cars aren't built to do what SUVs can do, but you still have to know what you're doing. I'd pick a smart driver in a normal car over a dumb one in a jeep any day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2015 12:25PM by abelard.

Posted by: jeanyus ()
Date: January 07, 2015 12:36PM

Today I was behind five cars on a hill and each came to a complete stop at the stop sign which was on a patch of ice...don't people realize the hill isn't safe to stop on if the road isn't cleared and it takes EACH car 90 seconds to get moving after their stop?! Then when it was my turn this dumb bitch from the right stop sign pulled up and even though she was at the sign before me she should have some common sense to let people on a snow/ice covered hill go by first when she has no incline what so ever. Of course I was forced to a complete stop and took time to find traction...

People need to realize there are auto accidents / deaths every single day and this is under good conditions...add snow and ice and all you want to do is bitch why people are driving slow; some want to make it home alive. The difference in speed kills, it's YOU that is stupid for driving fast when you KNOW everyone else will be driving slower.

Date: January 07, 2015 01:38PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
> Please let me know where you would like to meet,
> so you can hand over your paycheck which you bet.
> Thanks.

LOL, the more a person claims to be a "superior driver", the more you know they aren't. Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

> So if this sounds like bragging, sorry. I would
> call it the self assuredness that I know how to
> drive and can handle a vehicle of any kind - from
> car, to truck, to motorcycles, and even a tractor
> trailer, but that was just because I had the
> chance ;)

The sole purpose of you starting this thread was to brag. Not a big deal really, but at least be honest about it.

> You are right though on one point, I didn't need
> to go out for lunch, but felt like it. And that's
> my prerogative, right?

You betcha. Everyone has the right to be stupid. That's the great thing about freedom. I live near a couple dopes with SUVs who, every time it snows, find an excuse to "need" to go somewhere. They put themselves (and others) in danger for no other reason than a self-esteem boost. Not sure if you're quite in this category in terms of regularity, but it sure is comical.

Date: January 07, 2015 02:06PM

Kilton Wrote:
> ...in the 22039 Wrote:
> -----
> > Please let me know where you would like to
> meet,
> > so you can hand over your paycheck which you
> bet.
> > Thanks.
>
> LOL, the more a person claims to be a "superior
> driver", the more you know they aren't. Thanks for
> confirming my suspicion.
>

Whatever. Empty promise of your bet, I see. I kinda expected that from the internet.

Anyways, as I posted, I would be glad to demo my driving skills, happy to oblige. But since you made an empty offer, there probably isn't much of a point in reminding you of that.

Have a great day - just got back again from driving my SUV to lunch. No issues, still.

Posted by: yVxUh ()
Date: January 07, 2015 04:21PM

Subaru drivers are the worst, whether in the snow or not.

Date: January 07, 2015 04:52PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
> Anyways, as I posted, I would be glad to demo my
> driving skills, happy to oblige.

You're just proving my point. You're so desperate to prove your awesome driving skills that you're offering to demo them to a stranger on an anonymous Internet forum. LOL.

Besides, I have already found evidence of your "skills". This was you trying to get out of your parking lot yesterday:

calgary8n-3-web.jpg

Proof positive!

Posted by: he3VL ()
Date: January 07, 2015 05:41PM

abelard Wrote:
> > The only advantage an SUV offers is clearance
> and
> > low-end torque - thats it.
>
> Not quite. Having power to all wheels helps go up
> hills (or plow) as it increases the power you can
> apply given the traction you get (which is greater
> with 4 tires). Applying power to just the back
> wheels can also get out of hand when you slip
> (which you will) so you have to learn to control
> it. IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, awd will beat
> rear-wheel drive every day on slippery surfaces,
> especially going up hills.
>
> Going down hills now, this is where SUVs
> crap out along with all vehicles, and here's where
> snow tires help but not nearly as much as KNOWING
> WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE DOING. And I agree heartily
> with everyone here that SUVs give too many folks
> too grand vision of what they can and cannot do.
> So here's what you do: learn how to turn off the
> 'anti-spin' part of your traction control system
> (sometimes you want your tires to spin, like when
> you're fighting your way up slick hills), take
> your SUV out somewhere safe and practice. You'll
> soon find out it isn't the magic snow-beast you
> thought it was, but it still can do some pretty
> amazing things.
>
> >The disadvantages are
> > higher center of gravity, poor emergency
> handling,
> > stopping distance and roll-over risk.
>
> Most of these come across as 'poor driving' to me.
> I like the high center of gravity thing
> personally as I'm much less worried with what I'm
> doing as I am what other idiots are doing. I took
> the time to take off-road lessons from an SAS guy
> and snow-driving with Finns, but I'm guessing most
> folks haven't. Hit my jeep with a normal car and
> like as not I'll be fine, and more to the point I
> probably won't care. As for the rest of it, well,
> let me quote my SAS tutor: "Ya shouldn't ask
> yourself how fast you can go, you should be
> thinking 'How fast do I want to be going when I
> lose control?'
" Slow down, pick your route
> past any obstacles (i.e. make sure the hill is
> clear before you make your move up - don't want to
> be stopped half way), and, oh yeah, don't be a
> fucking idiot
>
> In short, normal cars aren't built to do what SUVs
> can do, but you still have to know what you're
> doing. I'd pick a smart driver in a normal car
> over a dumb one in a jeep any day.

1. I stated that AWD is an advantage in all vehicles (btw not all SUV's have awd) therefore my statement that the only advantage is clearance and low-end torque survives your argument.

2. You are correct that 'normal cars' are not built to do what SUV's do. SUV's are designed to tow, haul, and provide clearance over obsticals (off road). SUV's do not perform nearly as well in emergency handling and they flip much easier than a car (ask Cam Newton who got hit and flipped multiple times in his 4x4 monster pick-up).

3. Assuming clearance is not an issue a well designed AWD sedan will out perform and be safer than an SUV on snow or ice on a track or on well maintained paved roads.

4. I agree you can safely drive front wheel or rear wheel in snow with good tires and experience. My Town Car was very good in the snow. Very predictable and a long wheelbase and I used high quality snow tires. Id say it was better in some ways than my e320 4matic.

If you were not trained in snow/ice and dont have much experience in those conditions get your ass to a very large parking lot next time it snows and spend an hour slipping sliding and spinning. I do this with new cars and even if I get new tires to better understand what to expect on the roads. People who drive on snow without practice are dangerous to everyone. Fun to laugh at when they go off the road but dangerous...

Posted by: Former Canadian ()
Date: January 07, 2015 05:47PM

People in this area actually buy snow tires?! For the 5 days a year it snows?

Posted by: FTxuJ ()
Date: January 07, 2015 05:52PM

Why SUVs Aren't Always Safer in Snow | Consumer Reports http://youtu.be/OZQhnqe-xLc

Posted by: VPVew ()
Date: January 07, 2015 06:01PM

he3VL Wrote:

> 3. Assuming clearance is not an issue a well
> designed AWD sedan will out perform and be safer
> than an SUV on snow or ice on a track or on well
> maintained paved roads.
>

You just assumed away a large number of cases where they won't. lol

Sorry, as good as they may have been in other respects, none of the AWD vehicles that I've owned could really hang with my 4WD trucks when it comes to anything other than already well-plowed roads. Basically anything with decent snow or better all-season tires will move there. Drop a foot and a half of snow in front of them and it's an entirely different story. You're plowing. Make a bad choice in turning into a place where it's a little deeper and you're done. Hit the deep ruts when it ices up and you're banging brake lines and everything else.

That's why plow trucks are plow trucks.

Date: January 07, 2015 06:49PM

Kilton Wrote:
> ...in the 22039 Wrote:
> -----
> > Anyways, as I posted, I would be glad to demo
> my
> > driving skills, happy to oblige.
>
> You're just proving my point. You're so desperate
> to prove your awesome driving skills that you're
> offering to demo them to a stranger on an
> anonymous Internet forum. LOL.
>
> Besides, I have already found evidence of your
> "skills". This was you trying to get out of your
> parking lot yesterday:
>
> src="http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2
> 037246!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/ar
> ticle_970/calgary8n-3-web.jpg" width=550
> height=400>
>
> Proof positive!

Cute, but that isn't even in Virginia, as your picture/img file shows Calgary, which should still be located in Alberta, Canada.

Anyways, fail on your end. I simply offered to demo my driving skills which you questions. Now, where my money? Oh, that's right, you must've been kidding...

Internet, it's serious business....

Yawn.

Posted by: Smartie pants ()
Date: January 07, 2015 06:55PM

...in the 22039 Wrote:
> Kilton Wrote:
> -----
> > ...in the 22039 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Anyways, as I posted, I would be glad to demo
> > my
> > > driving skills, happy to oblige.
> >
> > You're just proving my point. You're so
> desperate
> > to prove your awesome driving skills that
> you're
> > offering to demo them to a stranger on an
> > anonymous Internet forum. LOL.
> >
> > Besides, I have already found evidence of your
> > "skills". This was you trying to get out of
> your
> > parking lot yesterday:
> >
> > >
> src="http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2
>
> >
> 037246!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/ar
>
> > ticle_970/calgary8n-3-web.jpg" width=550
> > height=400>
> >
> > Proof positive!
>
>
> Cute, but that isn't even in Virginia, as your
> picture/img file shows Calgary, which should still
> be located in Alberta, Canada.
>
> Anyways, fail on your end. I simply offered to
> demo my driving skills which you questions. Now,
> where my money? Oh, that's right, you must've been
> kidding...
>
> Internet, it's serious business....
>
> Yawn.

Wow, you're a smart cookie! Nothing gets by you my man. Thought that was really your SUV in the pic...

Posted by: jG6Mm ()
Date: January 07, 2015 07:39PM

VPVew Wrote:
> he3VL Wrote:
> -----
>
> > 3. Assuming clearance is not an issue a well
> > designed AWD sedan will out perform and be
> safer
> > than an SUV on snow or ice on a track or on
> well
> > maintained paved roads.
> >
>
> You just assumed away a large number of cases
> where they won't. lol
>

I guess that is my whole point - SUV's driven around here are driven almost exclusively on the roads. People purchase these vehicles designed for off road and never use them that way - hence, for NOVA AWD drive sedan is a better for the actual environment they are used for (as opposed to the commercials shown during football)...

Posted by: Jewbaru ()
Date: January 07, 2015 08:36PM

No one cares about your jap crap

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: January 07, 2015 08:54PM

Dodge Chargers Wrote:
> Lots of Dodge Chargers that couldn't make it on
> slippery roads.

Many of them sporting Diplomat License Plates.

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Posted by: qed ()
Date: January 07, 2015 09:21PM

Drove a rear wheel drive BMW yesterday (one month old Continental DWS tires on it). It sucked, but I made it.

Along the way I saw all sorts of stupid shit. People stopping halfway up hills, coming to a complete stop (instead of a slow roll) at icy stop signs when no one was coming (the one instance where I advocate a rolling stop), losing momentum, tailgating, and general nincompoopery. The SUV drivers seemed to be the worst.

I actually learned to drive in the snow in Tennessee (of all places). When it snowed, my dad would take me out to the nearest parking lot and teach me all about car control. Spent the next 10 years living in the Midwest, where driving in the snow was part of daily living in the winter time.

Despite my love of rear wheel drive, my next car (car, not SUV) will have all wheel drive. The hills around Vienna/Oakton are a pain with rear wheel drive, and we have enough snowless winters that snow tires don't make a lot of sense.

Posted by: Sit 'n Spin ()
Date: January 07, 2015 09:30PM

qed Wrote:
> Drove a rear wheel drive BMW yesterday (one month
> old Continental DWS tires on it). It sucked, but
> I made it.

Try an M3 with Summer tires.

I got caught a few times unexpectedly.

1/2" of dust and you're going nowhere. lol

Date: January 08, 2015 12:55AM

>Drove a rear wheel drive BMW yesterday (one month old Continental DWS tires on it). It sucked, but I made it.

The exact same thing that makes these great in summer makes them shit in the snow - the tires are wrong, the traction control system is doing things you don't want it to. Disabling the DTC will give you a bit more spin to work with but this can make things a bit more lively than usual. My 3 is stilling outside waiting for the snow to melt.

>for NOVA AWD drive sedan is a better for the actual environment they are used for

True, and more truth be told, most people don't realize that 4x4s are generally not true '4 wheel drives' either, not unless you can lock the diffs (with lockers, which most folks don't have) and drive all the wheels at once. But you rarely need such power - I've driven for years in africa in deep sand, across rivers, and up the worst scree-slopes you can imagine, and I bet I've locked 'er down maybe a dozen times. It's truly wonderful what you can do with locked diffs but you can pretty much only go in a straight line. 95 times out of 100, AWD will get the job done just as well and it'll give a far better ride overall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2015 01:03AM by abelard.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.