HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: old clifton insane asylum
Posted by: Cman ()
Date: July 22, 2015 09:23PM

from my findings i found out that Chapel view estates shares a little bit of the old Colchester Road. i circled the same areas on the 1997 and on the 1912 maps. this is my opinion. my email address is chroadkill@gmail.com please feel free to email me your imput
Attachments:
bunny bunny bunny.jpg
bunny 2.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: old clifton insane asylum
Posted by: good ole days ()
Date: July 22, 2015 10:27PM

I used to wander the ivakota farm for a couple years. One of the asylum rumors comes from it being an asylum for alcoholics at one time. I reckon they called detox an asylum at once upon a time. I got that info from the va at the library back then.
I also built a deck for one of the homes in 1997 in that subdivision with a friend that roamed that area with me a couple years earlier. It was about4 or 5 houses down on the right, and me and my buddy talked with the homeowner about what used to be there before he lived there, and we figured(judging by the trails leading to the ponds below) that the old big house sat on the lot we were working on.
There is also a couple old trash dumps still there. One is along he powerline on the hemlock side of that line. I dug up a bunch of old bottles there. I imagine you could still see the dump, just go down the original farm entrance, get out and walk to the right along the power lines until you see the signs of rusted scrap. I couldn't describes be how to get to the other. Old dumps are what archeological types love going through. We never finished digging the power line dump before the cops started visiting the area.
And the old man who was a jerk lived at the end of union mill red. He came on us with a gun one day. We were pretty high and laughed at him. We didn't leave, but we walked like we were going to till we got out of sight. Soon after that the cops started pulling up in there and handing out trespassing tickets. That was in 95.
I remember the big house having just one room on each floor. I don't remember a basement with anything resembling cells or small rooms. That was the only building we went in and I think we only entered once.
There was also a civil war fort that was on the other side of the golf course from union mill. There was a trail running by it. It was just a huge (8ft?) built up crater. An older guy I knew got four five gallon buckets of Minnie balls from there while metal detecting in the early 80's. I would think the fort would still be there due to history, but I don't know. I know there's a road that was built as another entrance to the development that probably would cut off the trail I took to the fort.

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
DetEv
This forum powered by Phorum.