HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
harris teeter vs safeway vs giant
Posted by: nov00 ()
Date: December 31, 2014 05:04PM

Which one would your recommend?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: harris teeter vs safeway vs giant
Posted by: Phantom Shopper ()
Date: December 31, 2014 05:22PM

Wegmans - NO NEGROS ALLOWED

Posted by: Wegmans, duh ()
Date: December 31, 2014 05:24PM

Wegmans pwns them all.

Posted by: HdPxu ()
Date: December 31, 2014 05:35PM

People still go to grossway? If you like half rotten food that's your place.

Date: December 31, 2014 05:51PM

I did not ask about Wegmans. Their lines are awful and unless your shopping list is all on sale the prices are high. If Wegmans is cheaper than the other 3, I guess that is my answer. I thought HT was supposed to expensive but many swear by it.

Posted by: ingredients for death ()
Date: December 31, 2014 06:02PM

Safeway is now albertsons all store past practices are over. Every store has less labor hours to run.equals fewer employees to serve you.longer lines more out of date products.dirtier restrooms. less sanatation habits etc... 80 percent of corporate employees are gone, or have to reaply for their position. They have also out sourced all repairs on equipment.which leaves majority of it broken for a longer time. Who suffers you, go check for yourself.here is atest take a good look inside meat milk or produce cases. GROSS absolutely sad very sad !!

Posted by: Wegmans, duh ()
Date: December 31, 2014 06:05PM

nov00 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I did not ask about Wegmans.

Yes you did. It's like when someone asks, "Would you rather get kicked in nuts or have a red hot poker shoved up your ass," and the right answer is, "I'd prefer to not have either of those shitty things, I'd rather have a nice slice of cake."

>Their lines are awful
> and unless your shopping list is all on sale the
> prices are high.

I see you've never set foot in one. I've never had more than one person in front of me in line, because they keep lots of registers open.

>If Wegmans is cheaper than the
> other 3, I guess that is my answer.

Then that is your answer.

Posted by: Informed consumer ()
Date: December 31, 2014 06:05PM

Harris Teeter is ridiculously expensive unless you buy the shit on sale which is nothing I ever want.

Wegmans is cheaper by far and the Wegmans brand stuff is really pretty good. Aside from all that, the store in Haymarket is a god damn milf and hot daughter show every time I go in there. I love to stand in line at Wegmans and enjoy the show.

Posted by: KtCFh ()
Date: December 31, 2014 06:11PM

nov00 Wrote:
> I did not ask about Wegmans. Their lines are awful
> prices are high. If Wegmans is cheaper than the
> other 3, I guess that is my answer. I thought HT
> was supposed to expensive but many swear by it.

Go to Aldi you white trash inbred hick.

Posted by: All Dee ()
Date: December 31, 2014 06:14PM

KtCFh Wrote:

> Go to Aldi you white trash inbred hick.

I went to Aldi...Once.

It was like the entire clientelle had just gotten off the banana boat.

It smelled funny.

All the products were weird off-brand ripoffs of more popular ones. "Cammbell's Soup, Cream of Goat (Now with more goat!)"

I got out of there FAST.

Posted by: UDdPh ()
Date: December 31, 2014 06:48PM

All Dee Wrote:
> KtCFh Wrote:
>
> > Go to Aldi you white trash inbred hick.
>
>
> I went to Aldi...Once.
>
> It was like the entire clientelle had just gotten
> off the banana boat.
>
> It smelled funny.
>
> All the products were weird off-brand ripoffs of
> more popular ones. "Cammbell's Soup, Cream of Goat
> (Now with more goat!)"
>
> I got out of there FAST.

It a step below big lots. For the poorest of poor.

Posted by: It's like feeding the chickens ()
Date: December 31, 2014 06:59PM

Squawk, squawk, squawk,squawk,squawk,squawk! Assfucks must all grow and raise your own.

In reality of course, all of the stores named do the same job in very much the same way with very much the same results. Try them all, see which one suits you best.

Posted by: kXXYc ()
Date: December 31, 2014 07:25PM

It's like feeding the chickens Wrote:
> Squawk, squawk, squawk,squawk,squawk,squawk!
> Assfucks must all grow and raise your own.
>
> In reality of course, all of the stores named do
> the same job in very much the same way with very
> much the same results. Try them all, see which
> one suits you best.

Or course A redneck would interject at some point claiming a store such as Aldi
is comprable to wegmans or even whole foods. Here is the facts, your wallet
cannot afford grade A food and you have hatred for having to settle for the
sub par in life. Last time I looked at what goes in and out of the gates of each store horses such as yourself walk out of a D grade stores. You must be posting from some distant land like Frednecksburg. It must be hard for poor people like you to feed your litter of trailer rats also known as your genetically inferior
offspring.

Posted by: Vixis ()
Date: December 31, 2014 08:59PM

We live in Centreville, we have a Shoppers & Giant within 5 minutes. We rarely go to them unless we need a last minute item, Giant is way too overpriced. Shoppers revamped their store, it's ok but not enough to attract me to shop there regularly. We go to Walmart but only buy certain items, we stay clear of their produce. The one store we go to is Wegmans, that is the Disneyworld of grocery stores. It's clean, the variety of products is endless and the display of meat, seafood and bakery is amazing. Their produce is top notch, I get there around 7am so I don't have to deal with the masses. Had this dipshit in a Maserati cut me off when I was pulling into a parking spot, I had my turning indicator and he zips right into the spot. That's ok, dumbass got out and tripped over his own feet and fell flat on his face. KARMA!

Posted by: It's like feeding the chickens.. ()
Date: December 31, 2014 09:02PM

kXXYc Wrote:
> Or course A redneck would interject at some point
> claiming a store such as Aldi is comprable to wegmans
> or even whole foods. Here is the facts, your wallet
> cannot afford grade A food and you have hatred for
> having to settle for the sub par in life. Last time
> I looked at what goes in and out of the gates of each
> store horses such as yourself walk out of a D grade
> stores. You must be posting from some distant land like
> Frednecksburg. It must be hard for poor people like
> you to feed your litter of trailer rats also known as
> your genetically inferior offspring.

LOL! Look what the cat dragged in.

Posted by: Spare My Nuts ()
Date: December 31, 2014 09:38PM

Wegmans, duh Wrote:
> nov00 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I did not ask about Wegmans.
>
> Yes you did. It's like when someone asks, "Would
> you rather get kicked in nuts or have a red hot
> poker shoved up your ass," and the right answer
> is, "I'd prefer to not have either of those shitty
> things, I'd rather have a nice slice of cake."
>
>
> >Their lines are awful
> > and unless your shopping list is all on sale
> the
> > prices are high.
>
> I see you've never set foot in one. I've never had
> more than one person in front of me in line,
> because they keep lots of registers open.
>
> >If Wegmans is cheaper than the
> > other 3, I guess that is my answer.
>
> Then that is your answer.

That hot poker thing sounds real butch. Where do they offer that?

Posted by: HnJhisSft ()
Date: January 01, 2015 07:46PM

Giant is fine. OMG. Relax.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: January 01, 2015 08:08PM

I'd add that Lotte Plaza is amazing for produce. I go there on my way to Wegman's (not geographically convenient, but) and spend $20 on several bags of produce, then go to Wegman's and buy everything else (and any produce I couldn't get at Lotte, which is usually little or nothing, though yesterday I couldn't find Anaheim peppers at Lotte, but Wegman's had 'em). Biggest problem at Lotte is buying ONLY what I need -- first dozen or so trips, I probably wasted half of my savings buying other, interesting produce that I then didn't get around to using before it went bad.

Giant/Safeway are large 7-11s as far as I can tell -- overpriced, mediocre selection. Makes me sad, as I *like* the people at the Giant a mile from my house. But I just can't justify doing major shops there.

Hairless Tweeter is so ridiculously overpriced that I only go there for the occasional item that I can only get there, or if I'm standing in front of one and need one or two items. Even then, I sometimes can't stomach paying 2x what Wegman's would charge. Their BOGO items are usually at least decently priced, and they'll let you buy one at half-price, which wins (who the hell wants, say, two pot roasts?!). Giant gets this wrong consistently, offering "deals" that nobody sane would want: my favorite recent example was "Buy two corkscrews, get one free". Because, you know, most people need three more corkscrews, and the first place they'd head when they do is the grocery store?!

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: January 01, 2015 08:18PM

Harris Teeter is Kroger, and the Bloomberg's Mad Mommies hate Kroger, so I go there.

Soaring profits: http://bearingarms.com/kroger-sees-profits-soar-ignoring-anti-gun-boycott-threat/

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Date: January 01, 2015 08:38PM

Thanks, Greybeard, for being helpful.

Posted by: Perplexed ()
Date: January 01, 2015 08:51PM

Greybeard Wrote:
> I'd add that Lotte Plaza is amazing for produce. I
> go there on my way to Wegman's (not geographically
> convenient, but) and spend $20 on several bags of
> produce, then go to Wegman's and buy everything
> else (and any produce I couldn't get at Lotte,
> which is usually little or nothing, though
> yesterday I couldn't find Anaheim peppers at
> Lotte, but Wegman's had 'em). Biggest problem at
> Lotte is buying ONLY what I need -- first dozen or
> so trips, I probably wasted half of my savings
> buying other, interesting produce that I then
> didn't get around to using before it went bad.
>
> Giant/Safeway are large 7-11s as far as I can tell
> -- overpriced, mediocre selection. Makes me sad,
> as I *like* the people at the Giant a mile from my
> house. But I just can't justify doing major shops
> there.
>
> Hairless Tweeter is so ridiculously overpriced
> that I only go there for the occasional item that
> I can only get there, or if I'm standing in front
> of one and need one or two items. Even then, I
> sometimes can't stomach paying 2x what Wegman's
> would charge. Their BOGO items are usually at
> least decently priced, and they'll let you buy one
> at half-price, which wins (who the hell wants,
> say, two pot roasts?!). Giant gets this wrong
> consistently, offering "deals" that nobody sane
> would want: my favorite recent example was "Buy
> two corkscrews, get one free". Because, you know,
> most people need three more corkscrews, and the
> first place they'd head when they do is the
> grocery store?!

I remember going into Lotte a long time ago, but I left without buying because I couldn't figure out what things were. All the labels were in an Asian language (as expected, but no translation). Everyone else there was Asian. I tried asking people for help, but either they didn't understand me or I didn't understand them. The place was really intriguing (especially the fish selection), but I was intimidated. Is it any different now?

I mostly shop at Giant, just because it's so convenient. And BJs for bulk items. I like the atmosphere better at Safeway (at least the one I go to), but their produce is pretty bad as are the bakery products. Harris Teeter is not convenient, and I wasn't impressed the few times I've gone there. Can't handle the parking at Wegmans (Fairfax).

Posted by: Hmmm... ()
Date: January 01, 2015 08:59PM

It's like feeding the chickens Wrote:
> In reality of course, all of the stores named do
> the same job in very much the same way with very
> much the same results. Try them all, see which
> one suits you best.

Good advice. Grocery stores are pretty much grocery stores. All these extreme comments make no sense at all if you're over twelve. I don't think these people do any grocery shopping at all.

Date: January 01, 2015 09:00PM

Well, yeah, it helps to know what you're trying to buy at Lotte. Mostly that doesn't matter with produce, of course.

I've used my phone to look things up on occasion while there.

I have no problems with parking at the Fairfax Wegman's, except during the holidays. But yeah, it can be a bit of a challenge at times.

Posted by: civic ()
Date: January 01, 2015 10:40PM

Ever since Giant Food was acquired by Ahold they’ve been on an inexorably steady decline. Right now Giant is trying to eliminate the meat cutter’s position with a paltry-ish 40K buyout or something like that. They can’t undo the position outright because of the union issue, hence the maneuver. They want to do the meat cutting at the factory (cheap Hispanic labor) and ship the meat precut to the stores. The product would then get shelved as demand warrants.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/20/business/royal-ahold-set-to-acquire-giant-food.html

I stopped buying the boneless skinless chicken breasts from Giant recently as they are from a different source?/brand and are now pumped up with an added 15% solution by weight to maximize profits – you are essentially paying for extra water, flavoring and salt and not protein. At first this difference was spelled out in big bold print out front on the packaging, but now I saw that it is sort of footnoted in the lower corner of the label. Price is still the same for this crap and unsuspecting consumers still buy this sh*t.

Wegman’s used to individually wrap packages of chicken breast for $1.99/lb. but I don’t think they do that any longer and instead do the typical bulk packaging thing. I’ve never had any problem with any of their meats. The organic stuff is on the pricey side but spatchcock and grill up one of the organic birds and you just might be a convert. I ground up 50lbs. of sausages for Xmas giveaways and got my picnics and butts from Wegman’s.

Safeway has the best ribs deal if you like baby backs. They have “extra meaty” loin back ribs (these are baby back ribs if you’re not familiar – pic in link below) that have extra meat from the loin left on and they run $2.99/lb. on sale and around the 4th of July they ran a special for $2.50/lb. which is pretty ridiculous. I smoke a lot of bbq so I pretty much packed the freezer.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html

At Lotte and H-Mart you can buy sashimi-grade fresh salmon and flash frozen blocks of tuna loin. I make sushi-nigiri-sashimi with the stuff about once a month. It’s always been fresh. I’ve never been to The Great Wall in Merrifield or Rockville.

I steer justifiably clear of the hams at Walmart as there is a reason why they are so low priced. They are all either hams with “water added” or hams with “water product” (this designation meaning it can contain as much water as the manufacturer can pump into it – generally around 30% water). Avoiding any Walmart-branded protein is probably a good idea.

Date: January 01, 2015 10:55PM

Hmmm... Wrote:
> Good advice. Grocery stores are pretty much
> grocery stores. All these extreme comments make
> no sense at all if you're over twelve. I don't
> think these people do any grocery shopping at all.

Yeaaah...not so much. Do you actually cook?

Posted by: inexcusable business practices ()
Date: January 01, 2015 11:06PM

civic Wrote:
> Right now Giant is trying to eliminate the meat cutter’s position with a paltry-ish 40K buyout or something like that.

buddy of mine got laid off there last year after 20 years. back on his feet now he's chopping up meat.

Posted by: The Cougers Are At Wegmans ()
Date: January 01, 2015 11:34PM

The U.N. is at Shoppers Food. Dont ever get any Seafood there unless its canned. Cougar count is very low, and any good looking woman is rare.

Old Safeways Smell bad. New big ones have lots of things prices are a bit higher. Some Cougars seen in the new stores

Giant Yes is on a decline but many Giants have shelves packed with goods. Some stores have good seafood cheap for this area. Once was a Cougar haunt.

Harris has more upscale seafood and meat, higher price, and good veggies.Some Cougars prowl here.

Wal Mart Sucks, As a result of cramming food in , they dont have shit in the stores that they had. Low Cougar count with Wal Mart Shoppers but easy to find heavy set Gun Show Dates

Food Lion is a good dependable place good meats, seafood is expensive compared to Giant. Good all round market, reasonal prices my #1 stop for the basics.Not many Cougars here to hit on.

Wegmans is more upscale, good meats very good seafood but you pay for it, lots of items at decent prices, but the good things I splurge on and a result spend more. Packed with Cougars.

Whole Foods is upscale and expensive with lots of expensive treats, good veggies. Skinny Birkenstock crowd is here, Few Cougars, Lots of organic products, health food.

Balducci's is a trip very expensive. Prime meats, upscale. Great sandwiches in their Deli! They have expensive items that can be hard to find. Has a feel however of Gun grabbing Lib Democrats living large on The Tax payers dime. Cougars are there but they are hunting for Rich Democrats and wont go to the gun show with you. Fake it and show up in your best Brooks Bro suit and London shoes, they can find out you really live in a apt later and are behind on the rent.

Asian Markets have huge veggie and fruit sections, Large seafood dept with cheap prices and all kinds of mystery items. Few Cougars, but many Beautifull ladies who dont fool around and are shy of you unless properly introduced. Once trained they will go go anywhere with you! And take very good care of you!
Just Learn "Secret Message" " Nan Noon Han Goo Yoga Cho Wa Haw Me Tah" You might get a scowl or a smile with "I like Korean Woman" remember there are "Korean Cougars" too. Yogi So. "Here" "Right Here"

Posted by: Anna n Dale ()
Date: January 02, 2015 04:41AM

I live in Annandale and do almost all my grocery shopping at the Wegman's in Fairfax and the Walmart down the street from there. The closest grocery store to me is Safeway, then Giant and I use those two the least. I do go to Harris Teeter maybe every other week or so, when they have a few things on sale that I use.

Wegman's has better prices, better selection and shorter lines than any of the other three. It's worth driving almost 10 miles for.

Posted by: Hmmm... ()
Date: January 02, 2015 08:20AM

Greybeard Wrote:
> Yeaaah...not so much. Do you actually cook?

Yes, and my family is in the restaurant business. At the nitty-gritty level, there aren't any significant differences between the major grocery chains. It's the same foods off the same trucks from the same processors and the same growers. People may prefer to pay more for a can of Campbell's Pork & Beans at the froufrou market, but it's still just a can of Campbell's Pork & Beans.

By the way, do you believe that Carnation Milk came from contented cows?

Posted by: Overstuffed cackler on sale ()
Date: January 02, 2015 08:33AM

The Cougers Are At Wegmans Wrote:
> Food Lion is a good dependable place good meats,
> seafood is expensive compared to Giant. Good all
> round market, reasonal prices my #1 stop for the
> basics.Not many Cougars here to hit on.

You haven't been to 5% of these stores, bozo. And what sort of underage loser has "cougar" on his shopping list week after week anyway? What a phony grubster.

Posted by: Budgeteer ()
Date: January 02, 2015 08:45AM

Anna n Dale Wrote:
> Wegman's has better prices, better selection and
> shorter lines than any of the other three. It's
> worth driving almost 10 miles for.

It's worth it to you if you say it is. But you may well be one rare member of what is actually a pretty small group. Well-to-do stay-at-home hobbyists may have time and money to throw at a game of grocery store clubbing, but as there are very few actual quality differences hiding behind all the frills, most working folks do their major league shopping this week at the same place they did it last week, a place they have found to be well-stocked, clean, and most importantly, convenient.

Posted by: grocery fan ()
Date: January 02, 2015 12:05PM

Sorry but driving 10 miles to save a few bucks on groceries is for people with way too much time on their hands.

My impression was that Wegmans has the best prices.
Date: January 02, 2015 01:54PM

I shop a lot at the Greenbriar Giant but their fruit/veggies are over priced.

Posted by: WHAT ABOUT JOE ()
Date: January 03, 2015 02:00AM

what about trader joes... Lots of great stuff for cheap prices. U can't bang out the entire grocery list there. But they have great produce, awesome prepacked stuff, cool little specials on all sorts of things and probably best of all really good/cheap beer/wine. The one in Reston is much bigger and better than the one in Centreville but both are solid.

Posted by: civic ()
Date: January 04, 2015 10:18AM

Trader Joes has excellent offerings. Depends upon which store you go to size-wise. Their pricing is some of the most competitive and the goods/quality they offer are above average in comparison to the mega-marts.

Hericot verts are 1.99/lb. and many of the prepared frozen foods, not only taste exponentially better, but also come with a reasonable price tag.

Posted by: Forget The Rest ()
Date: January 04, 2015 10:40AM

I expect Walmart to offer good prices across the board, but was surprised recently when I compared their beer prices to Wegman's and found that Wegman's had significantly better prices on decent beers. As for Safeway and Giant - they're just nasty, overpriced garbage, as you'd expect from any business infected with unions.

Posted by: djjWD ()
Date: January 04, 2015 11:15AM

nov00 Wrote:
> prices are high. If Wegmans is cheaper than the
> other 3, I guess that is my answer.

Independent tests have confirmed that Wegmans has some of the lowest prices in our area:

http://www.checkbook.org/interactive/spmkt/other/w/article.cfm

"Prices at the area’s two largest chains—Giant and Safeway—were higher, on average, than prices at most of the other surveyed chains. On average, prices at Giant and Safeway were about the same."

"Harris Teeter continues to receive above-average ratings for quality, with prices about the same as Giant’s and Safeway’s."

"Compared to average prices at Giant and Safeway, prices were substantially lower at Walmart Supercenter (20 percent lower), SuperTarget (19 percent), Food Lion (15 percent), Target (14 percent), and Wegmans (13 percent). For a family that spends $150 per week at the supermarket, a 13 to 20 percent price difference could total $1,000 to $1,500 a year."

When you compare the shopping experience of those other stores (like Walmart) you realize Wegmans is your only option.

Posted by: lemming8 ()
Date: January 04, 2015 08:05PM

Wholefoods is the best. A shame that foodstamps are accepted while we pay for the expensive stuff.

Posted by: Anna N Dale ()
Date: January 05, 2015 12:19AM

I'm just patiently waiting for that damn Annandale Kmart to finally day, so they can stick a nice Wegman's in there. Wishful thinking...I know

Posted by: DiverseShopper ()
Date: January 05, 2015 01:17AM

I shop Giant, Safeway, Aldi, Wegman's, Walmart, Trader Joe. Comments about bad produce at Walmart are bullshit---have you ever shopped there? Giant is overpriced overall, but I look for markdowns on meat regularly. There are items that you can't get at other stores (e.g. Wegman's pushes their house brands to the detriment of regular national brands). I go to the Asian stores once in awhile--I've found that fruit is quite a bit less expensive, but vegetables not Asian (such as celery) are very dirty and low quality---however, it doesn't bother me that the whole place smells like a rotten fish market. At Aldi it is spotty, I've got good deals, but got ground turkey once that was going bad. TJ's has excellent prices on imported cheeses as compared to all of the other stores--and of course there is the 3.79 buck Chuck wine!

Posted by: poster above ^ +100000 ()
Date: January 05, 2015 01:33AM

Walmart isn't bad, good prices and quality overall. The name "walmart" will drive off a lot of people.

Giant has good deals on meat early in the morning, I get some good discounts on their "manager special" marked meat. Other than that, it's overpriced.

Safeway (Vienna), I like their deli, bakery, and the Safeway gas station. Store is overall pretty nice but somethings can be a little overprices such as prepackaged meats.

TJ - great for milk and other unique selections you don't get at the other stores

Posted by: Voyage in Time ()
Date: January 05, 2015 10:55AM

I like to shop at the Grand Union in Fairfax City. Right next to Shakeys Pizza and across the street from the Red Barn and United Virginia Bank.

Posted by: hmmm_____ ()
Date: January 05, 2015 01:00PM

giant

Posted by: carsons ()
Date: January 03, 2016 04:41PM

wow

Posted by: not sure if I understand ()
Date: January 03, 2016 04:42PM

carsons Wrote:
> wow

Care to elaborate?

Posted by: Style and Selection ()
Date: January 03, 2016 04:51PM

Target is the place for shopping. Groceries, home needs, personal items, family minded selection shopping.

Posted by: I love Aldi ()
Date: January 03, 2016 04:56PM

Aldi is great. You have to understand-

It is only their brands for the most part. So what. Trader Joe's does the same thing.

It is only one size. Reasonable. And the price of that size undercuts the price of the smallest size at any store.

If something doesn't work out for you, you can take it back (even half-eaten) and they will give you your money back.

You will NOT be able to buy everything you want there. But, you will probably be able to buy 80% of what you want, and at amazing prices and quality. However, you will also be able to buy some amazing stuff that you can't buy at the other stores.

You have to pay cash, use debit, or food stamps.

You have to rent a cart for a quarter. You get it back when you return it. The plus to this is that you aren't dodging carts left all over the parking lot. People very cheerfully will give you a quarter for your cart out in the parking lot, saving you from going back to return your cart. They all know the system.

You have to buy bags or bring your own. You can also get boxes at the store. Hey, Costco does this. So what.

This company has an amazing business model. This is not cheap crap.

Posted by: Col. Klink ()
Date: January 03, 2016 05:06PM

I love Aldi Wrote:
> Aldi is great. You have to understand-
>
> It is only their brands for the most part. So
> what. Trader Joe's does the same thing.
>
> It is only one size. Reasonable. And the price of
> that size undercuts the price of the smallest size
> at any store.
>
> If something doesn't work out for you, you can
> take it back (even half-eaten) and they will give
> you your money back.
>
> You will NOT be able to buy everything you want
> there. But, you will probably be able to buy 80%
> of what you want, and at amazing prices and
> quality. However, you will also be able to buy
> some amazing stuff that you can't buy at the other
> stores.
>
> You have to pay cash, use debit, or food stamps.
>
> You have to rent a cart for a quarter. You get it
> back when you return it. The plus to this is that
> you aren't dodging carts left all over the parking
> lot. People very cheerfully will give you a
> quarter for your cart out in the parking lot,
> saving you from going back to return your cart.
> They all know the system.
>
> You have to buy bags or bring your own. You can
> also get boxes at the store. Hey, Costco does
> this. So what.
>
> This company has an amazing business model. This
> is not cheap crap.

This is German style discount grocery store. They got their asses kicked by us in 2 world wars, so maybe they are better at selling groceries?

Posted by: Just sayin 01022016 ()
Date: January 03, 2016 06:02PM

dam
cn and here I was looking forward to some VAG or tit photos oh well

Date: January 03, 2016 07:19PM

Col. Klink Wrote:
> I love Aldi Wrote:
> -----
> > Aldi is great. You have to understand-
> >
> > It is only their brands for the most part. So
> > what. Trader Joe's does the same thing.
> >
> > It is only one size. Reasonable. And the price
> of
> > that size undercuts the price of the smallest
> size
> > at any store.
> >
> > If something doesn't work out for you, you can
> > take it back (even half-eaten) and they will
> give
> > you your money back.
> >
> > You will NOT be able to buy everything you want
> > there. But, you will probably be able to buy
> 80%
> > of what you want, and at amazing prices and
> > quality. However, you will also be able to buy
> > some amazing stuff that you can't buy at the
> other
> > stores.
> >
> > You have to pay cash, use debit, or food
> stamps.
> >
> > You have to rent a cart for a quarter. You get
> it
> > back when you return it. The plus to this is
> that
> > you aren't dodging carts left all over the
> parking
> > lot. People very cheerfully will give you a
> > quarter for your cart out in the parking lot,
> > saving you from going back to return your cart.
> > They all know the system.
> >
> > You have to buy bags or bring your own. You can
> > also get boxes at the store. Hey, Costco does
> > this. So what.
> >
> > This company has an amazing business model.
> This
> > is not cheap crap.
>
> This is German style discount grocery store. They
> got their asses kicked by us in 2 world wars, so
> maybe they are better at selling groceries?

They have this figured out.

Posted by: Albrecht ()
Date: January 03, 2016 09:07PM

Col. Klink Wrote:
> I love Aldi Wrote:
> -----
> >
> >
> of
> size
> > at any store.
> >
> give
> > you your money back.
> >
> 80%
> other
> > stores.
> >
> stamps.
> >
> it
> that
> parking
> >
> > this. So what.
> >
> This
> > is not cheap crap.
>

Aldi and Trader Joes are both German. In fact the owners of both stores are brothers.

Posted by: PureAmerican ()
Date: January 03, 2016 10:01PM

Wegmans - stay away from the food buffet. You will see customers fumbling and touching food with there fingers and then putting it back. They do have a good bakery area, but again some touch with there hands and then decide "no I don't want it", or there kids each it throughout the store without paying for it.

Giant - If you shop smart you can find some good deals. You don't have to buy everything so high priced. Possibly go to some other stores for certain items.
Wrong about Vegs, they are well priced and served fresh and decent.
Employees keep the store clean and most all are friendly.

Safeway - just plain overpriced. Vegs and fruit highest priced in the area.

Harris Teeter - Great prices on Chicken, breads are good, dairy is fair priced.
You can take a lot of sugar cookies when you leave. Best chocolate milk and there subs are great. Bagels aren't very good. Basically a well run store on most other accounts.

ALDI - I wouldn't even step into that store.

Walmart - great prices on almost everything and they have every brand name.
You may hear 7 languages in 3 minutes...wear you Ipod and play loud music.

Lotte - 3rd world country food store. You hear gooks screaming various languages and close your eyes and you'll think your are in Chu Lai or Bangkok.

Shoppers - not bad on most everything but check the expiration dates on meat.
Overall just ok.

Date: January 03, 2016 10:09PM

What is with the paranoia about *OMG* someone touching food? Do y'all think it springs full-blown from the forehead of Zeus? Are your immune systems so compromised that you need to fear germs to this degree? (If so--and there are people in that state--why are you shopping in a store full of people?)

Seriously, get a grip. You're not going to die because someone touched a roll before you.

Posted by: younggums ()
Date: January 03, 2016 10:20PM

Greybeard Wrote:
> I'd add that Lotte Plaza is amazing for produce. I
> go there on my way to Wegman's (not geographically
> convenient, but) and spend $20 on several bags of
> produce, then go to Wegman's and buy everything
> else (and any produce I couldn't get at Lotte,
> which is usually little or nothing, though
> yesterday I couldn't find Anaheim peppers at
> Lotte, but Wegman's had 'em). Biggest problem at
> Lotte is buying ONLY what I need -- first dozen or
> so trips, I probably wasted half of my savings
> buying other, interesting produce that I then
> didn't get around to using before it went bad.
>
> Giant/Safeway are large 7-11s as far as I can tell
> -- overpriced, mediocre selection. Makes me sad,
> as I *like* the people at the Giant a mile from my
> house. But I just can't justify doing major shops
> there.
>
> Hairless Tweeter is so ridiculously overpriced
> that I only go there for the occasional item that
> I can only get there, or if I'm standing in front
> of one and need one or two items. Even then, I
> sometimes can't stomach paying 2x what Wegman's
> would charge. Their BOGO items are usually at
> least decently priced, and they'll let you buy one
> at half-price, which wins (who the hell wants,
> say, two pot roasts?!). Giant gets this wrong
> consistently, offering "deals" that nobody sane
> would want: my favorite recent example was "Buy
> two corkscrews, get one free". Because, you know,
> most people need three more corkscrews, and the
> first place they'd head when they do is the
> grocery store?!

The produce from Lotte comes from Mexico and China. It is GMO complete with high chemical bath. Enjoy!!!

Posted by: Orig Fairfax Res ()
Date: January 03, 2016 10:31PM

Greybeard Wrote:
> What is with the paranoia about *OMG* someone
> touching food? Do y'all think it springs
> full-blown from the forehead of Zeus? Are your
> immune systems so compromised that you need to
> fear germs to this degree? (If so--and there are
> people in that state--why are you shopping in a
> store full of people?)
>
> Seriously, get a grip. You're not going to die
> because someone touched a roll before you.

Some chonger just fingered his wife in the parking lot and then he touched the donut you're buying. Have at it friend.

Posted by: More original than you ()
Date: January 04, 2016 11:20AM

Orig Fairfax Res Wrote:
> Greybeard Wrote:
> -----
> > What is with the paranoia about *OMG* someone
> > touching food? Do y'all think it springs
> > full-blown from the forehead of Zeus? Are your
> > immune systems so compromised that you need to
> > fear germs to this degree? (If so--and there
> are
> > people in that state--why are you shopping in a
> > store full of people?)
> >
> > Seriously, get a grip. You're not going to die
> > because someone touched a roll before you.
>
> Some chonger just fingered his wife in the parking
> lot and then he touched the donut you're buying.
> Have at it friend.

Big deal ... just more yeast on the roll.

Posted by: Grocery Exec ()
Date: January 04, 2016 12:30PM

FYI, prices for groceries are generally going to be a cheaper retail price at Walmart and Target opposed to actual grocery stores, due to the fact that they are buying products from the manufacturer in significantly larger quantities.They have greater purchasing power due to more stores and more sales volume.Therefore, they can sell the actual product for a little bit less than the grocery chains. These stores might not have the overall grocery selection these chains might offer, but the prices will be cheaper overall across the board.

Companies such as Ahold Delhaize( recent Giant/Stop and Shop and Food Lion merger), Albertsons( recently bought Safeway) and Kroger ( recently bought Harris Teeter) acknowledge this internally. This is one of the reasons grocery chains have been "buying" other grocery chains recently- to consolidate former competition and instead prepare to compete with the big boys.

Posted by: GiantWomen ()
Date: January 04, 2016 12:40PM

I go to Giant where I live, because personally the women that work there are giant and I like big women and I cannot lie! Out where I live, every.one.of.the.women that work at the customer service desk outweigh me! You don't need to know their real names if one of the self checkouts acts up. I just look in that direction and say; "Bessy, I think this thing has gone haywire again" and three of them head my way!

Posted by: Chocochoco ()
Date: January 05, 2016 08:08PM

PureAmerican Wrote:

> ALDI - I wouldn't even step into that store.

They have some decent chocolates. Their produce is low quality and some of the dairy is nasty tasting.

Date: January 05, 2016 09:40PM

The Aldi produce is just fine. It is generally in better condition and lasts much longer than what I have been getting from the premium stores. The onions hold up for weeks. The grapes were beautiful. The stoplight peppers also are delicious and in perfect condition. No, you can't get everything. Get what you can and if you have to make a second stop, oh well.
Their dairy is fine. If you don't like it, take it back. I found some expired milk on the shelves, which happens at all stores. The manager went and took care of it right away when I reported it.

Posted by: Kevin Bruyne ()
Date: December 15, 2020 03:45AM

We have both a G and an HT directly by our home. The one bit of leeway HT has over G is the point at which they have something at a bargain "Get one-get one free" you can simply get one for a reduced cost. At G you need to purchase the one at the maximum to get the one free. I bounced on a supervisor at Gaint one day as of late when I was there for this dumb approach and he took me to the register and had them charge me deep discounted for the one. So they can do this in the event that they need it. Most likely I have been there and investing energy at Harris Teeter I'm used to as I advantage Harris Teeter Employees Benefits on buy made know.

Posted by: ole skool ()
Date: December 15, 2020 08:02AM

Gran Union and Fantles for my shopping.

Posted by: Southern Boy ()
Date: December 15, 2020 08:38AM

Piggly Wiggly is where it’s at.

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: December 15, 2020 09:04AM

Col. Klink Wrote:
> I love Aldi Wrote:
> -----
> >
> >
> of
> size
> > at any store.
> >
> give
> > you your money back.
> >
> 80%
> other
> > stores.
> >
> stamps.
> >
> it
> that
> parking
> >
> > this. So what.
> >
> This
> > is not cheap crap.
>

Who is "us"??? The Russians won WW2.

Posted by: Wfan ()
Date: December 15, 2020 02:57PM

I prefer wegmans or Costco or walmart.HT has horrible lines and the store is too crowded.Aisles are narrow and they market too much in the main aisles.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.