HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
how many inches of snow would 10 inches of rain be equal to?
Posted by: emma ()
Date: June 28, 2006 04:29AM

if all the rain we got in the last few days had occured in the
middle of winter, in the form of snow, how many inches could it
have possibly been?

thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how many inches of snow would 10 inches of rain be equal to?
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 28, 2006 04:36AM

this counts as off topic.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Sue Palka ()
Date: June 28, 2006 07:29AM

It depends on the temperature at the time. Colder temps means lighter, fluffier snow that piles higher. Temps closer to freezing makes wetter, heavier snow that does not pile as high. So it's hard to say how much it would all translate to, but it is safe to say that we would be dealing with one hell of a storm that would be measured in feet rather than inches!!

Posted by: Sue Palka's Husband Is A Moron ()
Date: June 28, 2006 08:08AM

10 to 12 inches of snow for each inch of rain. Sue is correct, about the temp.

Also, typical stupid remark from Gravis and can't wait to see our the remark from our nice wimpy jewish boy "Stidamn Reston In Peace" drug addict!

Posted by: ComicRelief ()
Date: June 28, 2006 11:59AM

Sue Palka's Husband Is A Moron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, typical stupid remark from Gravis

Yea, but he's right.

Posted by: Asian Tina ()
Date: June 28, 2006 12:05PM

Torrential rains caused by cold fronts running into humid areas are typical of summer time. Not so during cold winter months. The rapid fire cold fronts we've experienced of late is somewhat unique, but not out of the question as it would be during the winter. So wondering what if it rained this much as snow during the winter is a useless waste of thought. If you have this much free time on your hands, I should take you in the back and give you a spatula, Triple-A battery, bottle of partially hydrogenated oil, and a pair of hypoallergenic latex gloves, and let you go to work.

Call me.

Date: June 28, 2006 01:07PM

Asian Tina Wrote:
> Torrential rains caused by cold fronts running
> into humid areas are typical of summer time. Not
> so during cold winter months.

sounds like you weren't here in 1996. there was so much snow that school was canceled for over two weeks and another week or so of getting out early. that was a LOT of snow. it was over 20".

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: A. Tina ()
Date: June 28, 2006 02:10PM

Shutup Gravis. 20" blizzard. Big deal.
It doesn't matter that you missed over 2 weeks, You had to make it up with extended school days. I remember it.
That blizzard had nothing to do with torrential summertime rains. You stupid idiot.
Go eat a squirrel.

Posted by: Exaggeration? ()
Date: June 28, 2006 03:07PM

I don't know that school was cancelled for "over two weeks" followed by another week of getting out early. That sounds like quite a stretch. Before you bash, yes I was here in '96, and I even worked in the schools then. And, I'm flat out calling bullshit on "another week or so of getting out early". Why would school get out early for snow for a week??? credibility<0

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 28, 2006 03:11PM

I recall missing a ton of school that year (96), but do not recall two consecutive weeks of no school.

94 was the year I remember having the two weeks off in January. One of the days was my birthday. The two weeks were seperated by a brief return, I think.

Maybe Gravis went to school in Fauqier county or something, they always miss way more days there.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 28, 2006 04:25PM

I moved here just before it in 96 and recall being inundated w/ snow. Damn that was a lot.

Posted by: from the 757 ()
Date: June 28, 2006 08:08PM

Asian Tina has a real problem with communication. I have no idea what has been said thus far.

Date: June 29, 2006 06:25AM

from the 757 Wrote:
> Asian Tina has a real problem with communication.
> I have no idea what has been said thus far.

ill sum it up:

Asian Tina: there is never that much snow here in winter!
Gravis: there was in 1996.
Asian Tina: You're a stupid head!

Posted by: A. Tina ()
Date: June 29, 2006 12:14PM

Do a Ctrl-f in this thread for "there is never that much snow here in winter!" and see what you find.

Learn how to read, you illiterate. You neo-cons have zero reading comprehension and you live in a fantasy world that is not secured to REALITY. Put the Jerry Bruckheimer DVDs away and pick up a friggin book.

If I must translate reality to you, then so be it:

Asian Tina: "Torrential rains caused by cold fronts running into humid areas are typical of summer time. Not so during cold winter months. The rapid fire cold fronts we've experienced of late is somewhat unique, but not out of the question as it would be during the winter."
Gravis: (heehaw heeyukyuck, gee golly, I think she says it never snows here...[farts /scratches fat hairy ass]) It snowed 20" in 1996.
Asian Tina: (omg, this guy's an idiot...)

As it is stated correctly in this thread 1 inch of rain precipitation can create up to a foot of snow. We received over 10 inches of rain the last few days. So someone thought, "I wonder if it rained that much during the winter as snow, how much snow would that be?" I stated that it's a pointless fantasy to wonder such, since their would never be that much precipitation in the atmosphere during the colder winter months.
ALL this completely went over Gravis' inbred head, and he read it as "there is never that much snow in winter!" Which is not what I said...yet still technically, it is still a true statement, which is funny to me, since Gravis created a one-sided argument, against himself, and is still wrong, since 10 inches of rain = 120".
And Gravis seems to think 20 inches of snow in 1996 = 120 inches (10inches of rain)

Posted by: True! ()
Date: June 29, 2006 01:49PM

And Gravis was called out for being full of shit about school being closed for two weeks in '96 too that he conveniently never responded to either. Looks like the fat, greasy turd can't take it when he's actually presented with facts in a discussion instead of just throwing out whatever dumb shit pops into his useless head.

Posted by: brianl703 ()
Date: June 29, 2006 02:07PM

I remember the snow one year (it was probably 1996) was up to the top of the outdoor heat pump/AC unit, which is about 24" tall or so. (One of those Rheem or Ruud units, as I recall--others are taller than that).

Date: June 29, 2006 07:44PM

Gravis is not that far off on the time off school thing. His lack of recollection about the exact details is understandable. I honestly have mostly forgotten all but the broad strokes of those events.

People who go on the internet to gloat about the crap you were just gloating about... that's not understandable.

Posted by: Shocker! ()
Date: June 29, 2006 09:07PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> Gravis is not that far off on the time off school
> thing. His lack of recollection about the exact
> details is understandable. I honestly have mostly
> forgotten all but the broad strokes of those
> events.
>
> People who go on the internet to gloat about the
> crap you were just gloating about... that's not
> understandable.

There's a surprise, RP comes to Gravis' defense. Now both of you are wrong and full of crap because schools were not closed for over two weeks and they certainly did not let out early for a week. When was the last time school got out early for snow AFTER the snowstorm?? Duh.

As for gloating about crap on the internet--that's ALL that you and Gravis do at this site. Hypocrisy, thy name is RESton Peace.

Posted by: vthokies ()
Date: June 29, 2006 09:37PM

School did not let out early it started late in the morning due to refreezing of all the melting snow.

Posted by: Tricki ()
Date: June 29, 2006 10:14PM

Yeah and then they added on time to all the school days for the rest of the year to make up for all the snow days. I remember because I was teaching middle school then and those extra minutes just crawled by!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: June 30, 2006 04:59AM

School wasn't closed a full two weeks just because of the snow. I'm pretty sure the snow started at the very end of the couple weeks students got off for christmas break and caused fairfax county public schools to be closed for an additional week. And yeah, delayed openings for ages.

Blizzard of 96: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_of_%2796

Date: June 30, 2006 11:49PM

Shocker! Wrote:
> As for gloating about crap on the internet--that's
> ALL that you and Gravis do at this site.
> Hypocrisy, thy name is RESton Peace.

well... in that case i might as well live it up... being right about the snow and everything.

VICTOLY!!
that's right chumps, winner is i.

Posted by: Shocker ()
Date: July 01, 2006 08:55AM

Gravis Wrote:
> well... in that case i might as well live it up...
> being right about the snow and everything.
>
>
> that's right chumps, winner is i.

I've got no idea what that means, but if in your sad little world you want to think that you were right about something and then post pictures from your little video games to puff yourself up, then enjoy. Have fun hanging around the mall tonight on your big holiday weekend. Make sure you're quiet when you sneak back into the basement at your parents house though, because you don't want to wake them up!

Date: July 01, 2006 05:02PM

Shocker, you shouldn't be calling out people for living in their parents' basements just because your folks are too poor white trash to afford a basement. Not our fault you have to sleep on their couch.

I've got extra room at my condo if you need, I can tell living with your mom (and who knows what else you do with her) is getting to you.

Posted by: Shocker ()
Date: July 01, 2006 05:20PM

There it is again, Gravis' butt buddy Reston Peace comes to his defense. At least you didn't post any sorry little pictures from a video game in your post though.

Date: July 01, 2006 08:26PM

Shocker Wrote:
> There it is again, Gravis' butt buddy Reston Peace
> comes to his defense. At least you didn't post
> any sorry little pictures from a video game in
> your post though.

you're just jealous. :)

Posted by: The Chef At Arthur Treachers ()
Date: April 10, 2017 06:22PM

AT

Posted by: The Chef At Arthur Treachers ()
Date: February 09, 2019 11:52AM

108 inches.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.