HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Does anyone actually think FCPS does, on the whole a decent to good job of educating children?
Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: April 07, 2009 10:31AM

I guess it's much easier to call your opponents sheep. Weren't the Republicans in charge of the School Board once upon a time?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does anyone actually think FCPS does, on the whole a decent to good job of educating children?
Posted by: Hick67 ()
Date: April 07, 2009 10:33AM

I guess it is indedd much easier to call your opponents sheep. Aren't the RDemocrats in charge of the School Board at present?

Re: Does anyone actually think FCPS does, on the whole a decent to good job of educating children?
Date: April 07, 2009 10:33AM

Hick67 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess it is indedd much easier to call your
> opponents sheep. Aren't the RDemocrats in charge
> of the School Board at present?

Why yes, they are.

Posted by: Lister ()
Date: April 07, 2009 10:35AM

"to call your opponents sheep"

Another thread started by somebody who lost the election for school board. Look you lost, deal with it.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: April 07, 2009 11:35PM

Yes formerhick, the VAST majority of FFX residents think FCPS does a decent job educating children. Especially those who have had experience in some truly awful school systems elsewhere.

Jesus Christ, Himself could replace Jack Dale and couldn't satisfy the crackpot motherfuckers on this site. Nobody could.

Posted by: butty ()
Date: April 07, 2009 11:47PM

Yes formerhick, the VAST majority of FFX residents do indeed think FCPS does a miserable job educating children. Especially those who have had experience in some truly wonderful school systems elsewhere, like just across the river in Montgomery County

Satan Himself could replace Jack Dale and would satisfy the crackpot FCPS ass-kissing motherfuckers on this site. Anybody could.

Posted by: TomMadison ()
Date: April 08, 2009 12:27AM

butty Wrote:
> Yes formerhick, the VAST majority of FFX residents
> do indeed think FCPS does a miserable job
> educating children. Especially those who have had
> experience in some truly wonderful school systems
> elsewhere, like just across the river in
> Montgomery County
>
> Satan Himself could replace Jack Dale and would
> satisfy the crackpot FCPS ass-kissing
> motherfuckers on this site. Anybody could.

Troll

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: April 08, 2009 12:33AM

I don't have any kids and didn't ever go to a FCPS school but for everything I've heard and read it's on of the best around education wise and test score wise. Probably light years ahead of the public schools I went to in California.

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: April 08, 2009 02:57AM

FCPS is good at educating the very top students, those who were reading we they went to school, could do math by first grade, very smart kids who are capable of learning on their own. FCPS does pretty well with those kids. With the others, not so much.

Posted by: Junes ()
Date: April 08, 2009 04:27AM

FCPS is the 12th largest school system in the country, and ranks 28th nationally, with an average SAT Score of 1654 (2008) and 87% graduation rate. Some of the schools in the FCPS System are great while others are an embarrassment.

Fairfax County School System is comprised of 62 Public Schools and 21 Private Schools.

Exceptional schools within the system are not necessarily those with the "smart kids" as those with the most parental involvement. The schools that are doing poorly are the ones where the parents are either too busy to be involved with their kids' education or uneducated and unable to be involved even if they wanted to be.

http://www.fcps.edu/testing.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2009 05:13AM by Junes.

Posted by: its not that hard ()
Date: April 08, 2009 07:27AM

Junes Wrote:

> Exceptional schools within the system are not
> necessarily those with the "smart kids" as those
> with the most parental involvement.

I'd agree with this

>The schools
> that are doing poorly are the ones where the
> parents are either too busy to be involved with
> their kids' education or uneducated and unable to
> be involved even if they wanted to be.
>

I'd disagree with this.

a) Noone is too busy to be involved with their kid's education
- we're a pretty typical two working parent ffx family who work long hours, commute and travel a lot as part of our job - but we understand why education is important
- when we're not working, we're with our kids or arranging things for them to do
- whole generations of kids were educated (admittedly not well) solely on sundays but it shows that if you want to, you can

b) Noone is too uneducated to be involved in their kid's education
- if you can read then you can be involved
- if you can watch tv or listen to the radio, then you can see why education is important
- if you can speak, you can make sure your kids go to school and do their homework
- if you can move or get someone to move you, you can turn up at your teacher conference
- my grandparents has no real education but they sure as hell made sure my parents took advantage of the little that was available to them, and you can be sure that they ensured that my siblings and I took advantage of the better options that became available to us

Its not that hard

I'm fed up of hard working families being held to blame because certain communities within FFX cannot be bothered to get their kids educated or hold their schools accountable

Is it any wonder that parents who do work with and for their kids get angry when FCPS attempts to RD them into schools where the majority don't give a damn - just to set a good example and fudge the scores?

Yes - there are great schools and there are schools that should be shut down and FCPS tries to muddy the picture e.g. by placing GT centers in failing schools, or using RD as the tool of first resort for social engineering

But at the end of the day, parents have to actually care about education and work with their kids - rather than complaining when they remain uneducated, unemployable or incarcerated

Date: April 08, 2009 08:00AM

Neen Wrote:
> FCPS is good at educating the very top students,
> those who were reading we they went to school,
> could do math by first grade, very smart kids who
> are capable of learning on their own. FCPS does
> pretty well with those kids. With the others, not
> so much.

One person's opinion. Is FCPS perfect? Far from it, but having had two children - one well above average and another who worked hard, but still was just average - go through the system over the past 17 years I think that there are a lot of factors that affect the outcome. Parent involvement, student motivation, the teachers you are assigned, the local school community, and administration all play a role. Is every student attending South Lakes destined to fail? No, but every student attending Langley isn't destined to succeed either and I do not think that this is different from any school system in the country. There are too many independent variables which are magnified when you have 165K students.

Our oldest daughter is a great kid, worked hard, found a niche in a sport, but largely got lost in the crowd at Robinson. She is graduating next month from Radford with a 3.9 GPA, is a member of several leadership and honor fraternities and is one of 5 students selected to participate on university committee working on the school's strategic plan. Her success is because, not in spite of, FCPS.

Date: April 08, 2009 08:26AM

its not that hard Wrote:
Unfortunately, there are many parents in Fairfax County who can not read, write or speak English. Without an interpreter, they have no idea what their children are doing in school or able to work with them. There are other parents who can barely read and write - children raising children - because its the only life they know and the cycle has yet to be broken.

And then there are the parents who don't have time and use the school system and teachers as babysitters for their children from 8-3. That they are paying upwwards to $11,000 a year to educate their children, for some, IS their involvement with their childrens' education.

And then, there are parents like you who understand that education does not start and end in the classroom - it's a full time partnership between the school and home. The more that's put into the effort, the better the results.

Posted by: Madison Tom ()
Date: April 08, 2009 08:37AM

Tom Madisn wrote:

"One person's opinion. Is FCPS perfect? Far from it, but having had two children - one well above average and another who worked hard, but still was just average - go through the system over the past 17 years I think that there are a lot of factors that affect the outcome. Parent involvement, student motivation, the teachers you are assigned, the local school community, and administration all play a role. Is every student attending South Lakes destined to fail? No, but every student attending Langley isn't destined to succeed either and I do not think that this is different from any school system in the country. There are too many independent variables which are magnified when you have 165K students.

Our oldest daughter is a great kid, worked hard, found a niche in a sport, but largely got lost in the crowd at Robinson. She is graduating next month from Radford with a 3.9 GPA, is a member of several leadership and honor fraternities and is one of 5 students selected to participate on university committee working on the school's strategic plan. Her success is because, not in spite of, FCPS."

Phukkin troll.

Posted by: Hubert ()
Date: April 08, 2009 08:53AM

"Radford". LOL. A bottom-feeding third rate school for retards, cretins, and assorted flunkie misfits. "Radford", pfffft....

Date: April 08, 2009 09:12AM

Hubert Wrote:
> "Radford". LOL. A bottom-feeding third rate school
> for retards, cretins, and assorted flunkie
> misfits. "Radford", pfffft....

Spoken like a jealous JMU grad...

Date: April 08, 2009 09:15AM

Hubert Wrote:
> "Radford". LOL. A bottom-feeding third rate school
> for retards, cretins, and assorted flunkie
> misfits. "Radford", pfffft....

Not quite sure how to break this to you Hubert, but this thread is about FCPS (see the subject line?)

They have meds for ADD now - it helps you stay focused.

Posted by: dono ()
Date: April 08, 2009 09:23AM

no

Date: April 08, 2009 10:16AM

tubby Wrote:
> Yes formerhick, the VAST majority of FFX residents
> think FCPS does a decent job educating children.
> Especially those who have had experience in some
> truly awful school systems elsewhere.
>
> Jesus Christ, Himself could replace Jack Dale and
> couldn't satisfy the crackpot motherfuckers on
> this site. Nobody could.

My high school (80% white by the way) gets lower scores on the VA SOL tests than ANY school in Fairfax (even South Lakes, Stuart, WePo, and Falls Church.) As for the Challenge Index ... *snicker*.

That's why I made this thread -- while there are problems facing FCPS, we do have a LOT of advantages, starting with budgets that would be the envy of just about anyone outside Northern Virginia. I just get a little confused -- having grown up in rural Virginia and lived for many years in South Arlington -- why people act like FCPS is as dysfunctional as say, Detroit Public Schools.

Posted by: Lopter ()
Date: April 08, 2009 10:58AM

FCPS is one the top counties in the US for school systems.

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: April 08, 2009 11:17AM

FFX has a higher proportion of parents with bachelors and graduate degrees than any other locality in the country. Since SAT and other standardized test are simply surrogates for socio-economic class, it is to be expected that FCPS would have high scores.

Its student body was born on third base and FCPS claims credit for hitting a triple!

But look at the failure to effectively assist minority and disadvantaged students compared to other school districts with significant proportions of those populations and FCPS's true mediocrity is obvious.

Combine that with the gross segregation that its boundary decisions have accomplished and it looks very bad.

Date: April 08, 2009 11:22AM

Thomas More Wrote:
> FFX has a higher proportion of parents with
> bachelors and graduate degrees than any other
> locality in the country. Since SAT and other
> standardized test are simply surrogates for
> socio-economic class, it is to be expected that
> FCPS would have high scores.
>
> Its student body was born on third base and FCPS
> claims credit for hitting a triple!
>
> But look at the failure to effectively assist
> minority and disadvantaged students compared to
> other school districts with significant
> proportions of those populations and FCPS's true
> mediocrity is obvious.
>
> Combine that with the gross segregation that its
> boundary decisions have accomplished and it looks
> very bad.

OK. What school systems in VA do you think do a good job with disadvantaged students?

Posted by: Dizzy ()
Date: April 08, 2009 11:40AM

formerhick76 Wrote:
> tubby Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yes formerhick, the VAST majority of FFX
> residents
> > think FCPS does a decent job educating children.
>
> > Especially those who have had experience in
> some
> > truly awful school systems elsewhere.
> >
> > Jesus Christ, Himself could replace Jack Dale
> and
> > couldn't satisfy the crackpot motherfuckers on
> > this site. Nobody could.
>
> My high school (80% white by the way) gets lower
> scores on the VA SOL tests than ANY school in
> Fairfax (even South Lakes, Stuart, WePo, and Falls
> Church.) As for the Challenge Index ... *snicker*.
>
>
> That's why I made this thread -- while there are
> problems facing FCPS, we do have a LOT of
> advantages, starting with budgets that would be
> the envy of just about anyone outside Northern
> Virginia. I just get a little confused -- having
> grown up in rural Virginia and lived for many
> years in South Arlington -- why people act like
> FCPS is as dysfunctional as say, Detroit Public
> Schools.

Sounds like you and I have walked the same paths. Years ago I was faced
with the prospect of my kids winding up in Wakefield HS. We moved to
Fairfax to avoid it. (among other factors) While they were attending
Abbingdon Elementary the Principal was Hell Bent to turn it into a
"Little Tijuana". Spanish Immersion was being thrown at us like a weapon
and the fliers implied that if you didnt enroll your kids, you were
bigoted and depriving your children. They may have well just shut down
the school altogether during Black History Month as all they did was
march up and down the halls singing "We Shall Overcome" and paint posters
of "Him" to put up on the walls. I started homeschooling my kids in
American History to counter their fanatical embrace of political correctness.
South Arlington is a Barrio/Ghetto and I dont regret getting out of
there at all. FFx may have some problems, but nothing like Arlington.
BTW, you dont have to look to Detroit to find an example of bad schools.
DC is just as bad.

Also, before I forget, Parent/Teacher nights at Abbington were interesting.
Hispanic parents were VERY few and far between. One teacher explained to me
that their parents were too busy working to attend, but she got angry with me
when I reminded her that every bar on Columbia Pike was packed with parents
as we spoke.

Date: April 08, 2009 12:22PM

Dizzy Wrote:
> Sounds like you and I have walked the same paths.
> Years ago I was faced with the prospect of my kids winding up in
> Wakefield HS. We moved to Fairfax to avoid it. (among other factors) While

I'll be honest. I'd rather have my kids go to Wakefield HS than my alma mater. My wife disagrees.

> they were attending Abbingdon Elementary the Principal was Hell Bent
> to turn it into a "Little Tijuana". Spanish Immersion was being
> thrown at us like a weapon and the fliers implied that if you didnt enroll
> your kids, you were bigoted and depriving your children.

I'm not sure how much immersion takes away from regular instruction. I suspect it ends up helping most Spanish-speaking ESOL kids and above-average English-speakers, but hurts the others.

> They may have well just shut down the school altogether during Black History
> Month as all they did was march up and down the halls singing "We Shall
> Overcome" and paint posters of "Him" to put up on the walls. I started
> homeschooling my kids in American History to counter their fanatical
> embrace of political correctness.

OK. What were some of the erroneous facts they learned in class?

> South Arlington is a Barrio/Ghetto and I dont regret getting out of
> there at all. FFx may have some problems, but nothing like Arlington.

Gunston and Oakridge (where my daughter would've gone) are not so bad -- since their zone includes Shirlington and Crystal City.

> BTW, you dont have to look to Detroit to find an example of bad schools.
> DC is just as bad.

DC is at least a somewhat functional city. Detroit has nothing going for it.

> Also, before I forget, Parent/Teacher nights at Abbington were interesting.
> Hispanic parents were VERY few and far between. One teacher explained to me
> that their parents were too busy working to attend, but she got angry with me
> when I reminded her that every bar on Columbia Pike was packed with parents
> as we spoke.

Were the folks in bars parents or just 30something guys here w/o families?

I've met some Hispanic parents who really did work 70 hours a week, but my sample (non-Catholic church with a large number of Spanish speakers) was skewed.

Posted by: quantum ()
Date: April 08, 2009 12:49PM

Formerhick - really. Not even the most ardent critics of the FCPS could possibly compare FCPS to the Detroit Public Schools.

Detroit boasts of a drop out rate of between 67% and 75% - depending on how one calculates drop-outs. And my own guess is that under any measure the drop out rate it is actually higher - some of the drop-out students live transient lives and are hard to track (a huge contentious issue in drop-out research) - meaning that the awful figures are likely more awful than they appear. And the achievement levels of the non-drop outs are awful too. Detroit has the demographic attributes of a poor third world city - and a massive change in culture - and not just money - is needed to fix it. But in sum no one reasonable is going to assert that FCPS bears any relationship to the schools in Detroit, Baltimore, or New Orleans (and on and on), which exist more as employers of last resort for city residents than for learning. They are also losing students in droves.

FCPS has done a fair and often good job with my own kids. In particular, there were certain outstanding teachers that challenged them appropriately and by any measure did a good, if not great, job. Complaints in my view must be fair - and I feel it important to point out that on the whole the schools in my own experience fulfilled their social contract. I would think many others arrive at the same conclusion.

What really bothers me is poor minority student performance. I just don't get it. If one listens to the Jonathon Kozols of the world, the problems all stem from money and lack of resources. Well, that doesn't apply in Fairfax County. The kids go to school in relatively safe environments, and there are plenty of opportunities for support. And even with the budget crisis, this is still a wealthy county. And look at a place like Reston - it has an unbelievable number of social programs - and is incredibly diverse - yet the performance gaps in Reston are in many cases greater than in other (much poorer) areas of the country. There is indeed compassion fatigue. And it doesn't make sense that FCPS minority performance is lower than, for example, Richmond, no matter what the reasons (teaching to the tests included). I would be encouraged if the school leadership focused on accountability, including frankly demanding more of parents when necessary (the entitlement schools must do it for me is so harmful), even if this would be deemed politically incorrect. And note let's talk concrete issues - this means ending the practice of social promotions too - which means in the short run the statistics would be very troubling accompanied by cries of racism - but it harms the integrity of the system and erodes confidence. And that confidence is needed to keep the middle class in FCPS buying into the schools.

I think the gap requires some empirical work. But I intuit that many of the educational fads have hurt the most vulnerable students. There is no one way to teach students, but a focus on phonics (which I understand the research strongly supports) and traditional math teaching would help. And so would frank talk and action about issues like social promotions and phony self-esteem exercises. Such talk can't be seen as mean, but needs to be cast in terms of meeting an increasingly complex, knowledge based economy. The world is not going to wait for our non-learners.

Date: April 08, 2009 01:36PM

formerhick76 Wrote:

> I'm not sure how much immersion takes away from
> regular instruction. I suspect it ends up helping
> most Spanish-speaking ESOL kids and above-average
> English-speakers, but hurts the others.

Agree. Its the "others" who suffer. Especially the Black kids, most
of whom could have cared less about Spanish Immersion.

> > They may have well just shut down the school
> altogether during Black History
> > Month as all they did was march up and down the
> halls singing "We Shall
> > Overcome" and paint posters of "Him" to put up
> on the walls. I started
> > homeschooling my kids in American History to
> counter their fanatical
> > embrace of political correctness.
>
> OK. What were some of the erroneous facts they
> learned in class?

I wasnt referring to erroneous material but the lack of focus on Ameican
History. My kids knew more about Mexico by 5th grade than they did their own country. I took the initiative at home.

>
> DC is at least a somewhat functional city. Detroit
> has nothing going for it.

I lived in DC for five years when I first moved to the area. You may find
it "functional" but I did not. Are there any pubic schools there you'd
send your kids to?

> > Also, before I forget, Parent/Teacher nights at
> Abbington were interesting.
> > Hispanic parents were VERY few and far between.
> One teacher explained to me
> > that their parents were too busy working to
> attend, but she got angry with me
> > when I reminded her that every bar on Columbia
> Pike was packed with parents
> > as we spoke.
>
> Were the folks in bars parents or just 30something
> guys here w/o families?

I didnt go in and interview them but it was a known fact that many Hispanic
women wont allow their husbands/boyfriends into their apartments while
they've been drinking. (Domestic violence issue) That is also why you
see so many men drinking at night around campfires along Four Mile Run.
You know, the place with all the Corona bottles)

Date: April 08, 2009 01:37PM

Not quite sure how to break this to you Junes baby, but this thread is about FCPS (see the subject line there, buddy boy?)

They have meds for ADD now - it helps you stay focused; take 'em pal.

Date: April 08, 2009 01:38PM

Radford?! Pffffttt..third rate school for useless obtuse rejects.

Date: April 08, 2009 02:21PM

Dizzy Wrote:
> Agree. Its the "others" who suffer. Especially the
> Black kids, most of whom could have cared less about Spanish
> Immersion.

I'm not entirely sold on it myself, although I can see some potential for a late elementary/middle school magnet program for brighter kids.

> I wasnt referring to erroneous material but the lack of focus on Ameican
> History. My kids knew more about Mexico by 5th grade than they did their own
> country. I took the initiative at home.

Fair enough. I'd like to teach my daughter a balanced, although on the whole favorable, view of American history. Too much navel-gazing is as useless if not more so than too much rah-rah.

> I lived in DC for five years when I first moved to the area. You may find
> it "functional" but I did not. Are there any public schools there you'd
> send your kids to?

Wilson High, Deal Junior High, and I suppose a couple of the feeder elementary schools. But you're right, most of the schools are not places people want to go. Which of course leads to a chicken-egg game of some sort. Everyone that can get out does so, reducing the quality of the community that remains, and leading to an odd mix of government involvement and disdain from the 'outside.'

> I didnt go in and interview them but it was a known fact that many Hispanic
> women wont allow their husbands/boyfriends into their apartments while
> they've been drinking. (Domestic violence issue) That is also why you
> see so many men drinking at night around campfires along Four Mile Run.
> You know, the place with all the Corona bottles)

I did live along Columbia Pike near Glebe for a couple of years. The townhouses I lived in were okay but there were some "high sketchy" apartments across the street. Some of the places further west along Columbia Pike seemed to be worse though.

And if men w/ families act like they don't have families it's a lose for all involved.

Date: April 08, 2009 02:22PM

Hubert - actually the 3.9 GPA at Radford is a good story (if Tom Madison's facts are accurate).

Radford is not Virginia Tech, but someone that earns a 3.9 there and is involved in the campus can do college level work and hence gets something worthwhile out of college.

My problem with colleges with admission practices such as Radford is that they only graduate a little more than half in six years. This doesn't mean Radford is "bad', but it does mean that there are any number of people going there who incur debt (sometimes lots of it) and don't get much out of it other than an animal house experience. It is a variant of the Yale or jail syndrome - some of those students could have learned a trade, or a job skill or certificate that would have been useful. It is a fair question to ask just what a school thinks it is accomplishing (other than accepting fees) when it admits good numbers of people barely on the precipice of doing college work. About half the admits are below 500 on the math and verbal portions of the SAT, a point in which the capacity to do true college work starts to get dicey (exceptions exist, including those who fail to test to their capabilities).

I suspect Radford would answer that it does better than many similarly situated schools - and that much is likely true - but it doesn't avoid the fact that many are spending fees and time without much to show for it.

I would think this is a better context in which to criticize Radford.

Date: April 08, 2009 02:44PM

formerhick76 Wrote:
> Dizzy Wrote:
> > Agree. Its the "others" who suffer. Especially
> the
> > Black kids, most of whom could have cared less
> about Spanish
> > Immersion.
>
> I'm not entirely sold on it myself, although I can
> see some potential for a late elementary/middle
> school magnet program for brighter kids.
>
> > I wasnt referring to erroneous material but the
> lack of focus on Ameican
> > History. My kids knew more about Mexico by 5th
> grade than they did their own
> > country. I took the initiative at home.
>
> Fair enough. I'd like to teach my daughter a
> balanced, although on the whole favorable, view of
> American history. Too much navel-gazing is as
> useless if not more so than too much rah-rah.
>
> > I lived in DC for five years when I first moved
> to the area. You may find
> > it "functional" but I did not. Are there any
> public schools there you'd
> > send your kids to?
>
> Wilson High, Deal Junior High, and I suppose a
> couple of the feeder elementary schools. But
> you're right, most of the schools are not places
> people want to go. Which of course leads to a
> chicken-egg game of some sort. Everyone that can
> get out does so, reducing the quality of the
> community that remains, and leading to an odd mix
> of government involvement and disdain from the
> 'outside.'
>
> > I didnt go in and interview them but it was a
> known fact that many Hispanic
> > women wont allow their husbands/boyfriends into
> their apartments while
> > they've been drinking. (Domestic violence issue)
> That is also why you
> > see so many men drinking at night around
> campfires along Four Mile Run.
> > You know, the place with all the Corona
> bottles)
>
> I did live along Columbia Pike near Glebe for a
> couple of years. The townhouses I lived in were
> okay but there were some "high sketchy" apartments
> across the street. Some of the places further west
> along Columbia Pike seemed to be worse though.
>
> And if men w/ families act like they don't have
> families it's a lose for all involved.

I lived very near those townhouses on 11th St. (turns off Columbus St.)
I believe the apartments you're referring to is Barcroft. (trashy these
days)

The crime in the area was really getting to me. I could look out my
back window and see the intersection of George Mason Dr. and Four Mile
Run. Rapes, murders, and the largest cocaine bust East of the Mississippi
at the time. When Columbia Pike was shut down for repairs, pedestrian
traffic increased dramatically on 11th St. and we had a full blast of
gangs walking by all the time. I kept my shotgun loaded and handy
as burglaries skyrocketed. Fairfax has been a far better environment to
raise my kids.

Date: April 08, 2009 02:55PM

quantum Wrote:
> Hubert - actually the 3.9 GPA at Radford is a
> good story (if Tom Madison's facts are accurate).
>
>
> Radford is not Virginia Tech, but someone that
> earns a 3.9 there and is involved in the campus
> can do college level work and hence gets something
> worthwhile out of college.
>
> My problem with colleges with admission practices
> such as Radford is that they only graduate a
> little more than half in six years. This doesn't
> mean Radford is "bad', but it does mean that there
> are any number of people going there who incur
> debt (sometimes lots of it) and don't get much out
> of it other than an animal house experience. It
> is a variant of the Yale or jail syndrome - some
> of those students could have learned a trade, or a
> job skill or certificate that would have been
> useful. It is a fair question to ask just what a
> school thinks it is accomplishing (other than
> accepting fees) when it admits good numbers of
> people barely on the precipice of doing college
> work. About half the admits are below 500 on the
> math and verbal portions of the SAT, a point in
> which the capacity to do true college work starts
> to get dicey (exceptions exist, including those
> who fail to test to their capabilities).
>
> I suspect Radford would answer that it does better
> than many similarly situated schools - and that
> much is likely true - but it doesn't avoid the
> fact that many are spending fees and time without
> much to show for it.
>
> I would think this is a better context in which to
> criticize Radford.

You make a valid point and I think that it is one that is overlooked at a lot of schools. My daughter and many of her friends got into "better" Virginia schools including JMU and VT as well as Lynchburg, but she chose Radford based on size and the quality of her degree program. After coming from Robinson she wanted a more intimate environment and when she wrote the department chair during her senior year with questions he responded with his home and mobile numbers and encouraged her to call. Some students don't like the fact that professors know when you are and are not in class, but as a parent footing the bill I appreciate it. She has earned her grades through hard work with a challenging course load. The other thing she likes is that she can be a big fish in a small pond and her accomplishments are recognized. She is an admissions volunteer, peer instructor for a freshman seminar and member of the Omicron Delta Kappa leadership fraternity, something that would have been unlikely at a school like VT since ODK caps their membership and there are a lot of people fighting over the same small piece of cheese.

Would I recommend Radford if you want to be a physics major? No, but some programs (e.g., anthropology and criminal justice) are outstanding with top notch professors and graduates getting very good jobs. My daughter is a double major in therapeutic recreation and Spanish and has been able to secure excellent summer jobs with Fairfax County for the past three years and has more supervisory experience after running a school-based program last year than many adults I know. She is finishing an awesome internship this spring and is presently deciding between five job offers with agencies between Boston and Atlanta.

I don't know that Radford is ever going to change its student body to rival the stats of better known schools, but I don't think that that is their goal, either. There is a lot of diversity in Virginia's higher education system and I think that it is important to maintain this, while still doing a better job of keeping students in school and progressing towards a degree.

Posted by: what value has been added ()
Date: April 08, 2009 03:30PM

Lopter Wrote:
> FCPS is one the top counties in the US for school
> systems.

They were saying that about FCPS 30 years ago-I do not think Dale and this SB are adding value to our school district.

They are given a ton of money to throw at education-twice what many school districts spend.

They are lucky to have so many affluent, highly educated parents who are very involved and directly responsible for their children's success.

Teachers are well paid and most have MA and PHds.

Most school districts who were given these 3 advantages would have a high performing school district as well-duh.

I always measure an entity and a manager on how well they perfom with the resources they are given. I would say FCPS does an average job. In the area of minorities a flat out F for fail. Don't believe me, examine the powerpoint presentation from the SB's July 2008 retreat on minority achievement. rather shocking rankings compared with other VA school districts.

Jack Dale really does not add any value-he has caused this school district a great deal of embarrasment and has actually harmed FCPS's image nationally. We need new leadership.

Date: April 08, 2009 04:20PM

what value has been added - at your suggestion, I examined the materials from the school system's minority achievement committee.

From reading their materials, it is hard to argue that the people serving are anything but caring and concerned people. A good thing.

But there is something missing. There is lots of lip service to diversity and appreciating cultures. But as some point one has to run against that brick wall and recognize that in some respects the "dominant" culture - and some will call it white or asian but I think that a bit misleading - values education virtually above all else. And that is what matters, no matter how it is spun. Irrespective of what lip service is paid to diversity or understanding other cultures, if a family and its kid are going to succeed in Fairfax or any other school system, the hard and fast recognition that an appreciation of education and studying is essential. And it is not something bureaucrats can instill; it has to be done in the classroom and with challenging and demanding messages to parents. Schools first and foremost ought to be in the business of hiring excellent teachers and having them to teach to high standards - nothing helps more. The focus on culture change and all of that makes the system seem "nicer', but nicer alone doesn't cut it. The fact of the matter is that at any level learning to some extent is about sustaining ego damage, getting up and moving on (what TomMadison is describing with a successful college student), and feeling good about making progress. There are obviously students who start behind but for the life of me rather than produce papers and committees I don't understand why the county just doesn't try a KIPP program to see what works. That program is all about good teachers and not using multiculturalism as a distraction to avoid the hard work. By the way, I am not sure KIPP is all it is cracked up to be - they may benefit from a selection bias (i.e., parents that already give a darn push their kids into the program), but heck, why not try it?

Date: April 08, 2009 04:33PM

Junes Wrote:
> its not that hard Wrote:
> -----
> Unfortunately, there are many parents in Fairfax
> County who can not read, write or speak English.
> Without an interpreter, they have no idea what
> their children are doing in school or able to work
> with them.

So what the hell are they doing here?

Posted by: negro ()
Date: April 08, 2009 05:07PM

no they suck and are basically nazi's. They seem to forget that they have power over children with no power... They spend more time trying to make themselves look good and getting kids in trouble then actually educating them, it's pretty ridiculous.

Posted by: lip service ()
Date: April 08, 2009 05:55PM

quantum Wrote:
> what value has been added - at your suggestion, I
> examined the materials from the school system's
> minority achievement committee.
>
> From reading their materials, it is hard to argue
> that the people serving are anything but caring
> and concerned people. A good thing.
>
> But there is something missing.

No kidding-it's called results or achievement.

We somehow have figured out a way to have success in educating the poor at Graham Road Elem- a school that has awesome test scores, yet all of these six figure salaried educrats in Gatehouse cannot seem to figure out what to do with all the other struggling schools.

The lack of accountability is mind boggling.

While I applaud those who work on the MSAOC, you can't exactly say, after 13 years, that they have accomplished a lot. If you read the report, you can hear the frustration from their group as to why Dale and The SB doesn't give a crap about all these kids who drop out every year and who fail these standardized tests.

It is positively immoral that they ignore these failing schools.

Date: April 08, 2009 06:23PM

lip service Wrote:
> quantum Wrote:
> -----

> It is positively immoral that they ignore these
> failing schools.

They're not ignoring them - plan A is to redistrict kids whose parents care about education into the educational black holes in order to hide the problem.

Which is why we have this psychotic plan to put everyone on constant rotating fear of arbitrary redistricting at the behest of a star chamber of SB cronies.

Posted by: mountain out of molehill ()
Date: April 08, 2009 07:24PM

i They're not ignoring them - plan A is to
> redistrict kids whose parents care about education
> into the educational black holes in order to hide
> the problem.
>
> Which is why we have this psychotic plan to put
> everyone on constant rotating fear of arbitrary
> redistricting at the behest of a star chamber of
> SB cronies.

I agree somewhat that the redistricting efforts are an attempt to move high performing kids into lower performing schools. But it is a drop in the bucket. Moving 10 families from Madison into South Lakes is not going to solve their problems. Shifting kids from Annandale to Falls Church? What is that going to solve.

Until someboby within FCPS has the guts to stand up to the unions and demand PERFORMANCE and ACCOUNTABILITY for these dreadful scores, nothing will ever change.

I would love to see a charter school open in the Mt Vernon area and blow the doors off the public schools' test scores. Then we will see that in fact poor people can learn-my gosh imagine that thought!!

Posted by: get alife ()
Date: April 08, 2009 07:57PM

negro Wrote:
> no they suck and are basically nazi's. They seem
> to forget that they have power over children with
> no power... They spend more time trying to make
> themselves look good and getting kids in trouble
> then actually educating them, it's pretty
> ridiculous.

The clearisil club on here should realize they have no rights and being the losers they are , they will continue to complain after they turn 18 but will do nothing to change anything, they are too busy playing stupid online games and smoking dope,,,

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: April 08, 2009 08:44PM

The FCPS has a Department of Accountability that figures out why test scores are low

Posted by: justthefacts ()
Date: April 08, 2009 08:46PM

There are no "unions" in Virginia. Virginia is a right to work state, hence there can be no teacher unions - find some other entity to blame. Stop with all the gimmicks and just lower class size, most direct way to increase performance but also the most expensive. Otherwise, keep arguing over trivial matters and the latest acronym heavy "program" and get nowhere.

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: April 08, 2009 09:14PM

formerhick76 Wrote:
> > OK. What school systems in VA do you think do a good job with disadvantaged students?< <

Several of the school districts in Hampton Roads and the City of Richmond do a better job on achievement for these groups.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2009 09:15PM by Thomas More.

Date: April 08, 2009 10:02PM

just the facts - I agree with lower class size, but I doubt that this is sufficient.

In some districts (e.g., PG County) class size reductions have caused performance to lessen because they cannot recruit quality teachers.

Nothing matters more than quality teachers, getting the support to teach demanding curricula.

Posted by: BS ()
Date: April 08, 2009 10:08PM

Screw this FCPS site. If you want to hear this BS, click on channel 21.

Posted by: So what? ()
Date: April 08, 2009 11:27PM

Lopter Wrote:
> FCPS is one the top counties in the US for school
> systems.

That just shows how horrible most public school systems are. It also proves how well educated the parents are in FC. Brainy kids in, brainy kids out. FCPS does little to educate them, but at least they can't make them dumb when they aren't.

It's all in the genes.

Posted by: It's the Government! ()
Date: April 08, 2009 11:38PM

lip service Wrote:
> quantum Wrote:
> -----
> > what value has been added - at your suggestion,
> I
> > examined the materials from the school system's
> > minority achievement committee.
> >
> > From reading their materials, it is hard to
> argue
> > that the people serving are anything but caring
> > and concerned people. A good thing.
> >
> > But there is something missing.
>
> No kidding-it's called results or achievement.
>
> We somehow have figured out a way to have success
> in educating the poor at Graham Road Elem- a
> school that has awesome test scores, yet all of
> these six figure salaried educrats in Gatehouse
> cannot seem to figure out what to do with all the
> other struggling schools.
>
> The lack of accountability is mind boggling.
>
> While I applaud those who work on the MSAOC, you
> can't exactly say, after 13 years, that they have
> accomplished a lot. If you read the report, you
> can hear the frustration from their group as to
> why Dale and The SB doesn't give a crap about all
> these kids who drop out every year and who fail
> these standardized tests.
>
> It is positively immoral that they ignore these
> failing schools.

Do we report them to? God? Or just the Pope? Then what? Will God fine them? Will the Pope send them a very stern letter?

There is no accountability because there is no accountability to anyone, not even God.

Remind us, which government agency or entity is ever accountable for their performance, or lack thereof? To whom are they accountable? No one. Ever.

But the post office sure improved when people had the choice of Fed Ex and UPS in addition to the post office. Without choice, without competition, government agencies never improve. Why would they?

Posted by: Hahahahaha ()
Date: April 08, 2009 11:40PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> The FCPS has a Department of Accountability that
> figures out why test scores are low

When is that going to happen? And when might they fix the problems they've discovered?

Posted by: It's the genes! ()
Date: April 08, 2009 11:43PM

Junes Wrote:
> FCPS is the 12th largest school system in the
> country, and ranks 28th nationally, with an
> average SAT Score of 1654 (2008) and 87%
> graduation rate. Some of the schools in the FCPS
> System are great while others are an
> embarrassment.
>
> Fairfax County School System is comprised of 62
> Public Schools and 21 Private Schools.
>
> Exceptional schools within the system are not
> necessarily those with the "smart kids" as those
> with the most parental involvement. The schools
> that are doing poorly are the ones where the
> parents are either too busy to be involved with
> their kids' education or uneducated and unable to
> be involved even if they wanted to be.
>
> http://www.fcps.edu/testing.htm

Check out the top school systems, they are always in the richest areas, those with the most highly educated parents. Smart kids in, smart kids out. It's not rocket science, it's genes. Smart people produce smart kids. duh.

Posted by: Can't stand the ignorance ()
Date: April 08, 2009 11:46PM

There is no such word as noone. It's NO ONE, not noone. Always.

Posted by: TruthBeTold ()
Date: April 09, 2009 12:18AM

FYI:

Originally, the SR&R required parents to sign that they AGREED with it and would be fined $50 if they didn't sign it. The ACLU threatened to file a class action lawsuit. The Virginia Attorney General backed down. Now, you only have to sign that you RECEIVED it, and there is an explicit line that states you retain your Constitutional rights.

HOWEVER, the school system intimidates, harasses, dehumanizes, separates, and does everything in its bureaucratic power to make sure there is no tolerance and no due process, that anybody caught in the system learns as little as possible about the few "rights" they could grasp onto if they had a chance, that recommendations for expulsions are nearly 100% upheld, and that nearly all appeals fail. (You have to file a FOIA to get that information, BTW.)

So even though signing the document -- which references dozens of law codes that are not included and are hard to find -- does not mean you agree with anything, you're still stuck in the nighmarish zero-tolerance labyrinth grown, fed, watered, and thrust down our throats by Les Miserable's Fairfax Javerts.

Them's the Truth.

Hello Quantum and Thomas More. Missed ya!

Posted by: memes not genes ()
Date: April 09, 2009 07:29AM

It's the genes! Wrote:

>
> Check out the top school systems, they are always
> in the richest areas, those with the most highly
> educated parents. Smart kids in, smart kids out.
> It's not rocket science, it's genes. Smart people
> produce smart kids. duh.

Little evidence that the dominant effect is genetic - if you travel in developing nations you quickly realize how much difference access to education and a drive to become educated makes.

I'd posit that its more to do with social values and the memes of education, work and value than with genetics per se.

I suspect that you'll find a high correlation between those households where 'Planet Earth' is on the TV rather than BET/MTV and educational performance, in the same way that there is a correlation between households where homework is done vs those where its not.

There is no 'Planet Earth' gene and no 'homework' gene

Posted by: I hate pettyness ()
Date: April 09, 2009 09:23AM

Can't stand the ignorance Wrote:
> There is no such word as noone. It's NO ONE, not
> noone. Always.

Is "Always" a sentence?

Posted by: Jut ()
Date: April 09, 2009 09:47AM

Noone is sure whether or not "always" is a proper sentence.

Posted by: Sec. of Education ()
Date: April 09, 2009 03:12PM

NO...but it should be with all of the tax dollars that get pissed away...Is the FCPS budget posted on line?

Posted by: FCPS FAILURES ()
Date: April 10, 2009 06:58AM

Tell me what FCPS record is regarding NCLB? What are they doing to reduce this number??

Why does FCPS have such a high drop out rate? What have they done to reduce this number?

The only thing they do well is inforce zero tolerance with their nazi staff against students. Their results is that students die.

What a record.

Posted by: Shalomasaurus Rex ()
Date: April 10, 2009 08:04AM

FCPS is pretty good at reducing the carbon footprint of Northern Virginia.

It will get douchebag emo jocks to kill themselves, thereby eliminating their consumption of electricity and resources, which helps our planet.

Date: April 10, 2009 09:27AM

memes - I think at some point IQ obviously matters.

But I find it frankly not helpful to dwell on it, except as a matter of truly academic inquiry.

I think environmental factors can and really do significantly improve IQ scores. I was curious the other day and took an IQ test (Scientific American's version and not some Internet come-on). I was surprised at how much years of practicing at a profession and dealing with analytic subjects helped in taking the "test'. The test wasn't so much about brains as it was about breaking the questions down into compartmentalized pieces. When this was done the answers became in most cases self-authenticating. It was as much about learning how to deal with the test as it was in answering the substance of the questions. So education - and especially one that inculcates a strong sense of rigor - must in my view clearly help with IQ scores. I would think academics in the field would confirm my visceral notions - it would be interesting to know.

I am aware that certain developing nations have demonstrated remarkable inter-generational gains in IQ (Chile and Argentina among them). There is no reason to expect that with the right policies and the right culture (and yes, the hip-hop culture does harm the most vulnerable) that inter-generational gains can take place as to certain groups of people in this country. Of course, we all hope for intra-generational gains too. It is for this reason that parents should not be deemed "elitist" when they push for academic excellence - raising the bar matters.

And finally, contrary to Herrnstein and Murray's "Bell Curve", I really think the wrong answer is to be fatalistic as to lower IQ groups and focus on the higher IQ types to the relative exclusion of others. A rising tide lifts all boats - a notion to which I would think FCPS and most everyone concerned about education in the county would agree. I do think that there is something missing in the FCPS approach however, because the resources we have here should cause FCPS to be at least a standard deviation ahead of most of the country as far as minority scores, not in the equivalent or less zone. And I do think a lack of rigor is the main culprit. Nice or good intentions alone just don't cut it.

Posted by: Sholamasaurus Rex ()
Date: April 10, 2009 09:50AM

FCPS is pretty good at reducing the carbon footprint of Northern Virginia.

It will get douchebag emo eviromental tererorists to kill themselves, thereby eliminating their consumption of electricity and resources, which helps our planet.

Posted by: No ()
Date: April 10, 2009 03:53PM

FCPS FAILURES Wrote:
> Tell me what FCPS record is regarding NCLB? What
> are they doing to reduce this number??
>
> Why does FCPS have such a high drop out rate? What
> have they done to reduce this number?
>
> The only thing they do well is inforce zero
> tolerance with their nazi staff against students.
> Their results is that students die.
>
> What a record.

Simple answer, NO and HELL NO.

Posted by: SBS ()
Date: April 11, 2009 11:58PM

justthefacts Wrote:
> There are no "unions" in Virginia. Virginia is a
> right to work state, hence there can be no teacher
> unions - find some other entity to blame. Stop
> with all the gimmicks and just lower class size,
> most direct way to increase performance but also
> the most expensive. Otherwise, keep arguing over
> trivial matters and the latest acronym heavy
> "program" and get nowhere.

"Right to work" state and unions are not mutually exclusive.

Posted by: Is this a FCPS post? ()
Date: April 16, 2009 12:59PM

How many FCPS employees, staff and the school board are using their FCPS computers and their fcps.edu address to post on the FU?

How many FCPS employees, staff and the school board are using FCPS equipment, on official time to post on the FU?

Is it possible to do a report on all fcps.edu post?

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 16, 2009 01:04PM

Stop posting the same fucking post over and over again you stupid fucking cocksucker. If people gave a shit about your stupid question they'd answer it, so quit with the fucking spam already.

Is this a FCPS post? Wrote:
> How many FCPS employees, staff and the school
> board are using their FCPS computers and their
> fcps.edu address to post on the FU?
>
> How many FCPS employees, staff and the school
> board are using FCPS equipment, on official time
> to post on the FU?
>
> Is it possible to do a report on all fcps.edu
> post?

Posted by: Priam ()
Date: April 16, 2009 01:37PM

Is this a FCPS psot wrote:

"How many FCPS employees, staff and the school board are using their FCPS computers and their fcps.edu address to post on the FU?

How many FCPS employees, staff and the school board are using FCPS equipment, on official time to post on the FU?

Is it possible to do a report on all fcps.edu post?"

Excellent post. Keep at it. These posts are truly superior. Just keep pressing them on the issue and ultimately, with or without a direct reply, you will have made your point. Well done and thank you for your tireless efforts.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.